Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My Christmas eve bet that TMay will still be PM at the end of

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Instead, expect problems to spread to Iraqi and Iranian Kurdish areas, and for increased terrorism by the Kurdish PKK in Turkey itself. Which itself would play into Erdogan's hands ...

I would not worry about the PKK, as the Kurds "will be buried in their ditches when the time comes" by Erdogan's men apparently.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

It's extraordinary to compare the UK stock market with those of Germany France the US Japan Europe. Since the Brexit result we've become a basket case. That's what happens when you have a PM whose only policy-as yet undeliverable-is Brexit means Brexit and a LOTO who doesn't know what a stock market is.

Pretty bad everywhere, with several bear markets around the world. Brexit is merely a minor part of the epidemic of self harm of the world trading systems.
    I compared it from March 20 2017 till today. If you go back from when the Tories got into power it's even worse
    You should be comparing overall return, not index. (The DAX is apparently already total return)
  • Options
    In the last five years, on a total return basis the FTSE has gone from 4,750 to 5,904, a rise of 24% or 4.4% compound.

The DAX has gone from 9,589 to 10,633, a rise of 10.8% or about half what you got on the FTSE.

SInce March 2017 the FTSE is down about 2% and the DAX is down 13-14%.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

What makes you think we don't need all of them?

If the unskilled immigrants can work and support themselves with zero rights to in-work benefits then I have no qualms with that as I said.

No I am saying there is a supply of unskilled labour already and we should apply the economics of supply and demand to that. I see no need to artificially inflate our supply of unskilled labour.

If a company wants to hire unskilled labour then they can compete based on supply and demand with other companies to attract that labour from the unskilled we already have and not import new unskilled labour.

There is no divine right to have vacancies filled. If you can't fill a vacancy with the unskilled labour that is already present you can either compete better (increasing wages), work smarter (be more productive so you don't need as much labour) or some other combination. That is how the economy grows per capita. That is how our productivity improves. That is supply and demand. The best employers should be able to recruit ultimately.

As an example replacing automated mechanical car washes which use no labour with hand car washes which are staffed by unskilled labourers potentially claiming tax credits being paid minimum wage is not progress.

Hand washing cars (for payment) is a backward step as far as UK productivity is concerned.
    Absolutely. And it's a completely unnecessary job. The economy would survive just fine if we machine washed for payment or hand washed ourselves our vehicles.
    That makes literally no sense. You are basically saying that you can't be trusted to choose how your car should be washed, and the government should make that choice for you.

By all means remove the subsidies on immigration, but the government shouldn't be making minor economic decisions for its citizens. If people preferred an automatic car wash, or it was meaningfully cheaper, then they would choose it.
    I disagree @rcs1000

Your thesis works if the cost if labour covers all the externalities

(Eg competition for housing, overcrowding, the social corrosion from tolerating modern slavery*)

If these are not properly accounted for then social costs are higher, wear and tear on infrastructure is greater and productivity is lower so that (a) the consumer can get a lower cash cost car wash by pushing the true cost onto society and (b) that a (typically) Albanian gang master can (i) make some money and (ii) have to opportunity to launder the proceeds of crime

It’s a retrograde step for society as a whole
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

I do hope you are wrong. Cox was quoted as saying she’ll be gone by April. I hope he is right. May is a disaster and has been since she called the snap election. She has achieved nothing in office.

Mogg might have made a total pratt of himself recently but the Tories need someone with a lot more charisma than May and someone with a much broader policy horizon than Brexit, important though Brexit is. The Tories also need someone who is not a control freak in charge. A new leader would get rid of all the dead wood like Grayling, Smith, Clark, Hunt, etc

I suppose it’s all going to come down to whether she gets her deal. If she loses that, she’ll lose the subsequent VONC. If she wins she has a chance of surviving. Personally, I hope her deal gets well beaten. It’s a terrible deal.

Given May gave jobs to the likes of Boris and Davis, I find the idea a new leader would get rid of all the dead wood in cabinet unlikely. Some will be kept.
  • Options

First (on topic) like the Tories at GE2022*

*T&C apply.

Agree with OGH that May is no quitter - I suspect in the end the Tories will do what they did to Thatcher and oust her - but she has to become a liability first.

Off topic - he’s tweeting again!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1077064829825966081?s=21

No mention of the US’s allies, the Kurds. Odd that.

He pulled out the US troops to please his Saudi chums.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    On Topic she won't be PM or Tory leader in 12 months
  • Options
    FPT

Anmer Hall
    Birkhall House
    Craigowan Lodge
    Delnadamph Lodge
    Bagshot Park
    Balmoral Castle
    Buckingham Palace
    Clarence House
    Gatcombe Park
    Highgrove House
    Hillsborough Castle
    Kensington Palace
    Llwynywermod
    Nottingham Cottage
    Palace of Holyroodhouse
    Sandringham House
    St James's Palace
    Tamarisk
    Thatched House Lodge
    The Royal Lodge
    Windsor Castle
    Wren House

Still only 4 “Palaces”.
    Whatever they're officially "called", there are still 22 of them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I suppose it’s all going to come down to whether she gets her deal. If she loses that, she’ll lose the subsequent VONC. If she wins she has a chance of surviving. Personally, I hope her deal gets well beaten. It’s a terrible deal.

Nah, if she wins the vote on the deal then she is immediately more vulnerable to a VONC. If she loses heavily then it might be death by cabinet walkout.
    A narrow loss followed by a no deal pivot could see Tory remainers VONC her; a narrow loss followed by a 2nd referendum pivot probably sees her resign.

Her surviving is the sum of the DUP not VONCing her in the event of the deal passing (Or being saved by Woodcock and a couple of others !), her being too stubborn to resign if she gets thrashed; Tory remainers being frit to VONC her in a no deal pivot and May wanting to fight the 'deal/leave' cause in another referendum.
    If May's deal gets through she will be significantly more insulated by an increase in her popularity in the country. She will be the new Maggie, sticking to her guns and getting stuff done through sheer bloody mindedness. There will be some level of rejoicing in the now pro-Deal Tory press and perhaps even in the country, which will be pleased to have it all over with. No way the Tories will move against her at that point. Maybe later in the year.
    If she gets it through it'd be a good time to go, a like minded figure would have a good shot at replacing her.

But I still see no path to getting it through
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

In the last five years, on a total return basis the FTSE has gone from 4,750 to 5,904, a rise of 24% or 4.4% compound.

The DAX has gone from 9,589 to 10,633, a rise of 10.8% or about half what you got on the FTSE.

You say that but I don't know what you mean by "total return basis" and I'd wager 99 people out of 100 wouldn't either. The FTSE 100 index is mentioned on most news bulletins - if it goes up people assume everything is well, if it goes down people assume things are going badly.

It's as simple as that - it's called perception. You have posted some figures which I'm sure are correct but are and will be meaningless to most people who aren't professional investors or economists.

I've posted some figures which any idiot can find on a graph and that's how it works - get the BBC or CNBC or Bloomberg to talk about "total return basis" and you might get somewhere.

The same is true of GDP figures - no one knows what they mean or how they are calculated but a number going up sounds better than a number going down - ditto employment statistics.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    RobD said:

Roger said:

It's extraordinary to compare the UK stock market with those of Germany France the US Japan Europe. Since the Brexit result we've become a basket case. That's what happens when you have a PM whose only policy-as yet undeliverable-is Brexit means Brexit and a LOTO who doesn't know what a stock market is.

A basket case? More hyperbole.
    To lose 10% over nearly 2 years isn't at Argentinian levels but if you'd bought a house and it did the same when properties in Hamburg New York Paris and Tokyo had gone up by 10% over the same time frame you might think it significant and the media certainly would.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

FPT

Anmer Hall
    Birkhall House
    Craigowan Lodge
    Delnadamph Lodge
    Bagshot Park
    Balmoral Castle
    Buckingham Palace
    Clarence House
    Gatcombe Park
    Highgrove House
    Hillsborough Castle
    Kensington Palace
    Llwynywermod
    Nottingham Cottage
    Palace of Holyroodhouse
    Sandringham House
    St James's Palace
    Tamarisk
    Thatched House Lodge
    The Royal Lodge
    Windsor Castle
    Wren House

Still only 4 “Palaces”.
    Whatever they're officially "called", there are still 22 of them.
    So if we ignore that you were wrong then you were right? Solid argument.

And homelessness is a problem in places without monarchies too.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Roger said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

To lose 10% over nearly 2 years isn't at Argentinian levels but if you'd bought a house and it did the same when properties in Hamburg New York Paris and Tokyo had gone up by 10% over the same time frame you might think it significant and the media certainly would.
    Yes, but we aren't talking about house prices, are we?
  • Options
    stodge said:

You say that but I don't know what you mean by "total return basis" and I'd wager 99 people out of 100 wouldn't either. The FTSE 100 index is mentioned on most news bulletins - if it goes up people assume everything is well, if it goes down people assume things are going badly.

It's as simple as that - it's called perception. You have posted some figures which I'm sure are correct but are and will be meaningless to most people who aren't professional investors or economists.

I've posted some figures which any idiot can find on a graph and that's how it works - get the BBC or CNBC or Bloomberg to talk about "total return basis" and you might get somewhere.

The same is true of GDP figures - no one knows what they mean or how they are calculated but a number going up sounds better than a number going down - ditto employment statistics.
    Who needs statistics when you have perception. :p
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    edited December 2018
    Donny43 said:

CD13 said:

Mrs May's problem is that although she voted Remain herself, her selling point was her Brexit means Brexit proclamation. She was unaware of the opposition tactics, or thought she could ignore them.

What the stubborn Remainers (and that included the EU) wanted was delay at all costs. It was always going to be difficult to disentangle 45 years of gradual but steady ntanglement, and delay was their friend. Time then for revocation, another referendum or a continuation of Project Fear to become embedded.

Anti-democratic without doubt, but that didn't matter. What could they lose? Bureaucrats are very good at delaying and the EU was never in a hurry to lose billions in revenue. They are the Higg's Boson of politics, they add mass and turn progress into a wade through treacle.

Mrs May has bogged down as they planned.

Going forward will mean more entanglement, but this time, there'll be no more consultation. A once in a forty years referendum was a UK mistake and won't be repeated. You'll have a choice at most seats between Labour and Tory candidates, and both will probably be pro-EU. Unless you also have a LD in the mix, and they'll be even more pro-EU.

Some things are not for the common herd to decide, so suck it up and bend the knee.

Consistent with this thesis: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/how-the-europhiles-are-blowing-up-britain
    That link is a link to an article by Daniel Hannan ("How the Europhiles are blowing up Britain", Daniel Hannan, December 24, 2018 12:00 AM). It contains the statement "...In June 2017, in an ill-judged election, Prime Minister Theresa May lost her parliamentary majority. And from that moment, Brussels lost any incentive to reach a deal. It understood that a coalition of pro-EU MPs and peers would prevent a no-deal outcome, thus taking away Britain’s bottom line...".

I don't know what Brussels understands, but I'm pretty sure there is no coalition of pro-EU MPs and peers that can/will prevent a no-deal outcome. Happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    stodge said:

While I agree about the power of perception and it's primacy among the public, the actual facts are still important in judging how fair that perception is.
  • Options
    FPT

No I am saying there is a supply of unskilled labour already and we should apply the economics of supply and demand to that. I see no need to artificially inflate our supply of unskilled labour.

If a company wants to hire unskilled labour then they can compete based on supply and demand with other companies to attract that labour from the unskilled we already have and not import new unskilled labour.

This whole worldview is so sick. You're talking as if a huge government bureaucracy preventing people from going where the work is across an inaginary line is the natural state of affairs and people going to work somewhere if their own free will is someone "importing" them, as if they have no agency of their own. Supply and demand isn't what you think it is. It doesn't involve a huge government bureaucracy at all. If people go where the work is, *that's supply and demand in action*.
    I am not sure I would call Philip's worldview 'sick'. But certainly I think his is wrong and yours is right. Though I would add that one other factor that does involve the Government is the place of benefits. We do hear all too often that local unskilled labour are generally unwilling to go out and do certain jobs because they are hard and unpleasant and it is easier to stay on benefits rather than do that work. Certainly that is a driving factor in farming. I am not sure that it is a situation we should be perpetuating. But the answer to that is not to put artificial barriers in the way of the movement of labour but to make 'not working' less attractive.

Of course to do that requires a flexible, imaginative and proactive Government who recognise the need for benefits when work is not available but also recognise that those benefits need to be withheld to some extent when work is available. Unfortunately we have one party who believes benefits should always be available as an alternative to work and another party who believes that benefits should be almost non existent. Both are wrong.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Donny43 said:

CD13 said:

Mrs May's problem is that although she voted Remain herself, her selling point was her Brexit means Brexit proclamation. She was unaware of the opposition tactics, or thought she could ignore them.

What the stubborn Remainers (and that included the EU) wanted was delay at all costs. It was always going to be difficult to disentangle 45 years of gradual but steady ntanglement, and delay was their friend. Time then for revocation, another referendum or a continuation of Project Fear to become embedded.

Anti-democratic without doubt, but that didn't matter. What could they lose? Bureaucrats are very good at delaying and the EU was never in a hurry to lose billions in revenue. They are the Higg's Boson of politics, they add mass and turn progress into a wade through treacle.

Mrs May has bogged down as they planned.

Going forward will mean more entanglement, but this time, there'll be no more consultation. A once in a forty years referendum was a UK mistake and won't be repeated. You'll have a choice at most seats between Labour and Tory candidates, and both will probably be pro-EU. Unless you also have a LD in the mix, and they'll be even more pro-EU.

Some things are not for the common herd to decide, so suck it up and bend the knee.

Consistent with this thesis: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/how-the-europhiles-are-blowing-up-britain
    That link is a link to an article by Daniel Hannan ("How the Europhiles are blowing up Britain", Daniel Hannan, December 24, 2018 12:00 AM). It contains the statement "...In June 2017, in an ill-judged election, Prime Minister Theresa May lost her parliamentary majority. And from that moment, Brussels lost any incentive to reach a deal. It understood that a coalition of pro-EU MPs and peers would prevent a no-deal outcome, thus taking away Britain’s bottom line...".

I don't know what Brussels understands, but I'm pretty sure there is no coalition of pro-EU MPs and peers that can/will prevent a no-deal outcome. Happy to be corrected.
    There is clearly a coalition that will try. The question is how far they are willing to go and whether or not they will be successful.
  • Options

stodge said:

Okay then Roger - compare them.

Show us how the UK stock market has changed over the last 30 months and then give the comparisons with Germany, France etc

On January 3rd 2014, the FTSE 100 stood at 6730 - it is currently at 6682. That's a whole lot of nowhere in nearly five years.

The DJIA was 16470 on January 3rd 2014, it closed on Friday at 22445 which I make a 36.3% increase.

The DAX has gone from 9435 to 10633 in the same period - a more modest 12.7% increase.

You can't compare the level of the indices- you should be comparing overall return.
    And this all goes to show why Roger should stick to adverts and films and stay away from stuff he simply doesn't understand.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

The Corbyn being a drag seems to be a common line used against Corbyn but very little evidence is provided for it

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/0tfrv277zr/YG Trackers - Best Prime Minister.pdf
    Just do a few vox pops mate, ask the ordinary "man" in the street. Most think Corbyn is a Cnut of epic proportions.
    We had these before the election and Labour had a massive vote share rise...

There is a small chance that asking a random man in a street a question might not produce a representative answer... specifically if ordinary man in the street is repeatedly white people over the age of 50, many of who don't like him*... but they already have their own party called the Conservatives. Labour is the party for those that don't qualify as ordinary man in the street.

*So it is representative but of its own group only not the rest of us.
    Ipsos MORI have the longest running series asking if people are satisfied or dissatisfied with party leaders’ performance. Jeremy Corbyn is currently at minus 32%, with just 27% satisfied.

40% of Labour supporters are dissatisfied.
    I imagine they were before the previous election as well.
    Then you'd be mistaken.

The last survey before the GE had Corbyn on -11, May on -7 - a gap of 4 points.

The most recent survey has Corbyn on -32 and May on -22 - a gap of 10 points.

For perspective, before GE1997 Blair was on +22. Before GE2015 Miliband was on -19.

Sort of proves my point.

The last survey before a GE will be carried out at the end of the election campaign period, it isn't suddenly in the ballot box that people were swayed but in the campaign leading up to it where Corbyn's ratings improved as people paid attention and the coverage is guided by election rule. Compare to his ratings just before May called the Election.
  • Options

The Corbyn being a drag seems to be a common line used against Corbyn but very little evidence is provided for it

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/0tfrv277zr/YG Trackers - Best Prime Minister.pdf
    Just do a few vox pops mate, ask the ordinary "man" in the street. Most think Corbyn is a Cnut of epic proportions.

There is a small chance that asking a random man in a street a question might not produce a representative answer... specifically if ordinary man in the street is repeatedly white people over the age of 50, many of who don't like him*... but they already have their own party called the Conservatives. Labour is the party for those that don't qualify as ordinary man in the street.

Ipsos MORI have the longest running series asking if people are satisfied or dissatisfied with party leaders’ performance. Jeremy Corbyn is currently at minus 32%, with just 27% satisfied.

Then you'd be mistaken.

For perspective, before GE1997 Blair was on +22. Before GE2015 Miliband was on -19.

Sort of proves my point.

The last survey before a GE will be carried out at the end of the election campaign period, it isn't suddenly in the ballot box that people were swayed but in the campaign leading up to it where Corbyn's ratings improved as people paid attention and the coverage is guided by election rule. Compare to his ratings just before May called the Election.
    He's a known quantity now. To think he can expect a similar increase again is for the birds.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Yet when the campaign starts and people get to hear Labours offer because the rules kick in around TV coverage people start reading it and liking it. In the intervening years between elections the groups supportive of Corbyn are more likely to switch off or become 'Don't knows' and the coverage of Labour and Corbyn in the media is overwhelmingly negative.

It is all well and good to assert that Corbyn actually drags Labour down but our actual electoral evidence shows the opposite, we have very little proof that a different Labour leader would be doing as well let alone even better.

It may be convincing if Labour were crashing under Corbyn but it is exactly the opposite, Labour looked to have turned around and started going in the right direction electorally. Peoples complaints are the political direction.

That is blind faith. You’re entitled to it, of course.
    Actually I think you'll find Labour and Corbyn were struggling before the last election campaign.

Also I listened to an interesting episode of polling matters not long ago where they talked about the Don't Know groups tending to be younger and more female... groups that also tend Labour and Corbyn.

There is also the lack of polling showing some great alertanate leader doing better. If it was so obvious why do we not have this proof? There was a poll a long time ago before GE17 when Corbyn was doing badly which showed him around the level or beating potential replacements.

'Blind faith'

hmm... I suspect yours is the blind faith, not only does the idea of Labour doing better under a different leader lack evidence it also seems to fly in the face of the evidence available.

People want a different leader so they assert an electoral argument for doing so without actually doing any work to prove one.
    Look young jezziah, I’ve canvassed for two decades. Up until,very very recently those older white men, or ‘gammons’ as you call them, regularly voted labour. Now you can knock on a door and if an over 65 answers almost guarantee they’ll be Tory voting. Keep insulting them.
    If losing some over 65's is the trade off for gaining for more under 65's then electorally it is an obvious choice.

Also I referred to those who called Corbyn a cnut of epic proportions (or something along those lines) on vox pops gammons, there are some lovely over 65's...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Then you'd be mistaken.

Sort of proves my point.

He's a known quantity now. To think he can expect a similar increase again is for the birds.
    It's not impossible. But to believe it a certainty if very complacent.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Then you'd be mistaken.

Sort of proves my point.

It's also optimistic to assume that Labour's manifesto next time will get as little scrutiny as it did last time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What's she doing following the Tories anyway, I thought she hated them? :p
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bit of a mis judgement there. Not saying she should lay off the Tories at Xmas time, but come on - that's the same attitude that acts like no one can ever even smile and joke because bad things exist
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Scott_P said:
    May warned the Tories about being the Nasty Party. They're even nastier under her leadership and lots of people don't seem to mind!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/make_trouble/status/1077158962682830848

May warned the Tories about being the Nasty Party. They're even nastier under her leadership and lots of people don't seem to mind!
    I assume no one was in the position Laura described when Labour were in power?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Then you'd be mistaken.

Sort of proves my point.

He doesn't need a similar increase...

Labour aren't 20 points behind the Tories.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It wasn't a subject for jesting though.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    Roger said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

I think the sickness in the markets is an ominous indicator of economictroubles ahead, but worldwide rather than Brexit related.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I think the picture becomes even more lopsided once you take dividends into account.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It wasn't a subject for jesting though.
    Who was jesting about it?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    It is a truth generally acknowledged that there is a tranche of traditionally Labour voters who won't vote for us while Corbyn is leader. They tell canvassers this on the doorstep in no uncertain terms.

While Jezza-sceptics share these anecdotes, Corbynites just pretend it isn't happening.

We need the next leader to be someone who can bring these voters back on board while making sure that the purple haired crowd stay with us too.

To me Starmer is the obvious choice.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Then you'd be mistaken.

Sort of proves my point.

It's also optimistic to assume that Labour's manifesto next time will get as little scrutiny as it did last time.

Did anyone notice it committed Labour to Brexit?
  • Options
    Under Labour comrades will each be able to enjoy one state-funded turnip every Christmas! No more will the capitalist boss class be able to festoon their tables with decadent crackers and bourgeois turkeys! Everyone will be united in happy culinary unity of the workers' turnips!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

*T&C apply.

Agree with OGH that May is no quitter - I suspect in the end the Tories will do what they did to Thatcher and oust her - but she has to become a liability first.

Off topic - he’s tweeting again!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1077064829825966081?s=21

No mention of the US’s allies, the Kurds. Odd that.

He pulled out the US troops to please his Saudi chums.
    I think he's giving Erdogan a clear run at the Kurds. Tragic.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Then you'd be mistaken.

Sort of proves my point.

He doesn't need a similar increase...

Labour aren't 20 points behind the Tories.
    That's why I said it's not impossible.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Scott_P said:
    It is a very sick society that gives blankets to pigs while people are shivering in shop doorways.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Then you'd be mistaken.

Sort of proves my point.

Did anyone notice it committed Labour to Brexit?
    Surely not, that would have been a betrayal.
  • Options

Under Labour comrades will each be able to enjoy one state-funded turnip every Christmas! No more will the capitalist boss class be able to festoon their tables with decadent crackers and bourgeois turkeys! Everyone will be united in happy culinary unity of the workers' turnips!

Our malcolmg will be quite pleased with that arrangement.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The FTSE index excludes dividend income whilst the DAX includes dividend income. So the DAX has fallen even more relative to the FTSE.
  • Options

It is a truth generally acknowledged that there is a tranche of traditionally Labour voters who won't vote for us while Corbyn is leader. They tell canvassers this on the doorstep in no uncertain terms.

While Jezza-sceptics share these anecdotes, Corbynites just pretend it isn't happening.

We need the next leader to be someone who can bring these voters back on board while making sure that the purple haired crowd stay with us too.

I've never hidden away from it. I just always thought it was worth the trade off for the greater numbers brought in instead.

Basically I'd rather win without them than lose with them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Given the next VONC in May can be held early next December ie before Christmas but after Brexit should have taken place it really depends on how Brexit looks.

If we have left with May's Deal passing the Commons then she will be secure, unless the DUP have no confidenced the government and Corbyn has become PM after a general election in which case the Tories will be looking for a leader of opposition. In that case Boris looks a good prospect as he also looks a good prospect for PM if we have left the EU with No Deal.

If somehow we end up with EUref2 and Remain wins then it is possible May could still stay as PM or someone like Rudd comes into play
  • Options
    RobD said:

I thought he owned all the turnips. ALL THE TURNIPS.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Scott_P said:
    There are more in employment this Christmas than at Christmas 2010 though the last time Labour were in power
  • Options
    Mr. Code, the turnip magnates will be smashed! (Unlike their turnips, which will be mashed!*).

The new People's Commissariat of Turnips will handle all turnips in the future.

*These and other wonderful witticisms will be released in the Supreme Leader's Mirthful Crushing of Capitalism, a short volume of 762 pages which will be furnished to Inner Party members.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think the picture becomes even more lopsided once you take dividends into account.
    Dividends are why superficial analysis of the FTSE against the Dax are wrong, but using total return accounts for them.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

*T&C apply.

She might be already. Much is made of Corbyn's drag on Labour but pb Tories from time to time remind us there is a booming economy with record employment and tax receipts. If so, then surely there ought to be a huge Conservative lead in the polls, but there isn't. Is Theresa May the reason?
    First time I have seen it seriously suggested that economic growth of less than 1.5% amounts to a boom!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

I would agree , Starmer gives that reassurance to many previous Labour voters.
    He also looks like a PM in waiting.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

I thought he owned all the turnips. ALL THE TURNIPS.
    Quite pleased :smiley:
  • Options
    Mr. City, whilst not a Starmer fan myself, Labour would likely be 15 points or so ahead if he were leading.

Leaving aside the fact he's not a far left lunatic, the talent Labour has which refuses to sit on the benches alongside the incumbent and his Marxist chum would do so if Starmer or someone of his ilk were leading the party. By itself, that'd be hugely helpful for Labour. They'd have a numerate Shadow Chancellor and Home Secretary, for a start.
  • Options

I've never hidden away from it. I just always thought it was worth the trade off for the greater numbers brought in instead.

In your dreams.

YouGov political tracker favourability ratings:

Do you have a favourable or unfavourable opinion of Jeremy Corbyn...

Dec 2018: Favourable 26%, Unfavourable 61%, Net -35%

On the eve of the last GE, at the end of May 2017 it was Net -14%

Corbyn is a huge drag on Labour's polling and the only thing preventing double digit leads for the Conservatives is that May's own favourability ratings are almost as bad.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1srrdfz0ub/YG Trackers - Favourability.pdf
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    There are more in employment this Christmas than at Christmas 2010 though the last time Labour were in power
    Substantially more. When things turn sour, and they always will, we will look back and think about the Full Employment we currently have and go ‘wow’....
  • Options

In your dreams.

Corbyn is a huge drag on Labour's polling and the only thing preventing double digit leads for the Conservatives is that May's own favourability ratings are almost as bad.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1srrdfz0ub/YG Trackers - Favourability.pdf
    There is still a significant dividend out there for the first party to change its leader,
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I would agree , Starmer gives that reassurance to many previous Labour voters.
    He also looks like a PM in waiting.
    He's also had a senior job (although admittedly as a lawyer) well outside politics.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    More than double the amount of homeless though, I believe?

Well, in England anyway.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

stodge said:

The FTSE index excludes dividend income whilst the DAX includes dividend income. So the DAX has fallen even more relative to the FTSE.
    Yeah, but you aren't adjusting for currency moves. It makes no sense to measure stock market performance without rebasing to constant currency Otherwise somewhere with high inflation and a really weak currency would always "win".
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, in England anyway.
    We could always extend Dean Swift's "Modest Proposal" and eat the homeless. Many of them even come wrapped in blankets...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Pigs in blankets miles out ahead !
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Yeah, but you aren't adjusting for currency moves. It makes no sense to measure stock market performance without rebasing to constant currency Otherwise somewhere with high inflation and a really weak currency would always "win".
    I'm going to make myself look stupid here. Are the various indices expressed in units and (if so) what are they? I've looked at the Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTSE_100_Index and I'm not sure whether it's in pounds or dimensionless.

So for example consider the closing FTSE_100_Index on 22 May 2018 of 7,877.45. Is that £7,877.45, or just 7.87745 times the size of the FTSE_100_Index on 3 January 1984 of 1000?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

I'm going to make myself look stupid here. Are the various indices expressed in units and (if so) what are they? I've looked at the Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTSE_100_Index and I'm not sure whether it's in pounds or dimensionless.

So for example consider the closing FTSE_100_Index on 22 May 2018 of 7,877.45. Is that £7,877.45, or just 78.7745 times the size of the FTSE_100_Index on 3 January 1984 of 1000?
    Looks like it'd be in sterling, unless the index divisor is also in units of sterling, in which case it would be dimensionless.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

So for example consider the closing FTSE_100_Index on 22 May 2018 of 7,877.45. Is that £7,877.45, or just 7.87745 times the size of the FTSE_100_Index on 3 January 1984 of 1000?
    Looks like it'd be in sterling, unless the index divisor is also in units of sterling, in which case it would be dimensionless.
    That's what i thought.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mr. City, whilst not a Starmer fan myself, Labour would likely be 15 points or so ahead if he were leading.

Leaving aside the fact he's not a far left lunatic, the talent Labour has which refuses to sit on the benches alongside the incumbent and his Marxist chum would do so if Starmer or someone of his ilk were leading the party. By itself, that'd be hugely helpful for Labour. They'd have a numerate Shadow Chancellor and Home Secretary, for a start.

Morris , I am not so sure about the lead you state Labour would be ahead.
    As any Labour leader is always a danger according to most of the print media.
    Blair had to go cap in hand flying to Australia to beg for better coverage,

Trump and to a lesser extent Corbyn have shown we now live in a new era.
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

So for example consider the closing FTSE_100_Index on 22 May 2018 of 7,877.45. Is that £7,877.45, or just 78.7745 times the size of the FTSE_100_Index on 3 January 1984 of 1000?
    I think it has to be dimensionless because the index divisor has to have the same unit as the numerator had in 1984, which is the same as it has now?
  • Options

In your dreams.

In your inability to understand statistical data and its practical application.

It doesn't matter, If Labour get more seats, which they could do come the next election if doesn't matter if the one leader has a positive rating and the other a negative rating.

All that matter in terms of the leader and his electoral effect is how that affects votes and in the last election it had a positive effect. Someone voting Conservative liking him or someone voting Conservative not liking him means the same thing in the end.
  • Options
    Mr. City, it's possible to overstate that. Both Trump and Corbyn got in due to complacency from the mainstream, coupled, in the latter case, with dimwitted Labour MPs who didn't understand their own leadership rules.
  • Options

How does the 15 point lead happen exactly?

Labour are on close to 40% already and I assume a Starmer led Labour party isn't being predicted to be hitting 55%...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Dividends are why superficial analysis of the FTSE against the Dax are wrong, but using total return accounts for them.
    Well my point was that the raw number for the FTSE doesn't include divis but the DAX does include them as reinvestments.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

All that matter in terms of the leader and his electoral effect is how that affects votes and in the last election it had a positive effect. Someone voting Conservative liking him or someone voting Conservative not liking him means the same thing in the end.

I think Labour could benefit at the polls if they were to spice up their Left populism with some gammony 'Britain First' stuff.

That they show no signs of doing so is to their credit.
  • Options
    Mr. Jezziah, no baggage on anti-Semitism/wreath-laying, more competence, less far left insanity, no Momentum eating Labour from the inside out, MP unity, and a coherent position on the EU.

Actually putting pressure on the Conservatives could see the blues drop by about 7-8 points and that shift red.

And let's not forget Cameron at one point had a 28 point lead (around 2009).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well my point was that the raw number for the FTSE doesn't include divis but the DAX does include them as reinvestments.
    To repeat my earlier comment with slightly more detail, given how much of the FTSE-100's earnings are in currencies outside sterling, you also need to constant currency the FTSE total return and the DAX, otherwise you are mainly measuring sterling depreciation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "As Labour subscribes to the government’s dangerous Brexit fantasies, a people’s vote is now the only way to ensure stability"

Ah, another people's vote whine.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

The index is a weighted average of share prices in local currency (sterling for FTSE and euro for the DAX). However the share price of many shares are strongly influenced by currency movements. So BP for example does well when the dollar is strong against sterling because its income is related to the oil price quoted in dollars.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Quite right.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968

Labour are on close to 40% already and I assume a Starmer led Labour party isn't being predicted to be hitting 55%...
    You can't even count. If Labour are on 45 and Tories on 30, they're 15 points ahead!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

You can't even count. If Labour are on 45 and Tories on 30, they're 15 points ahead!
    Their average of 38.3% in December's polls would reduce seat numbers significantly compared to their earlier 40%. You seem to need ukpollingreport.co.uk/ for the polls and electoralcalculus.co.uk to do calculations.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, in England anyway.
    They may be a lot more but 2010 was not a normal year for homeless figures. Even with a doubling homelessness is still a fraction it 05/06 in fact it is still slower than every year with the exception of 09 and 10.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Scott_P said:
    Christmas with Laura Pidcock must be a barrel of fun.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

That's a good point. But I remember during the 92 election a Labour Party official was on Newsnight. In those pre-internet days you could assume that only political anoraks and partisans were watching that late. The polls were looking pretty good for Labour at this point. But he said that although there was a lot of support for his party, the support was rather soft and he was far from happy. He said that the trouble was that there were a lot of people who wanted to vote Labour, and would tell a pollster that they would. But they had questions that might stop them actually putting the cross against the paper.

It is a shame that the current political culture punishes such honesty. As we now know, Labour didn't succeed that time.

I have a feeling that Mr Corbyn has a similar problem as Mr Kinnock did. Liked but not respected. 15-20% poll leads are fantasy with any leader, but failing to quite close the deal on a majority looks quite likely. And I have a feeling that the extra 2-3% a different leader might pull in might just make the difference.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think Labour could benefit at the polls if they were to spice up their Left populism with some gammony 'Britain First' stuff.

That they show no signs of doing so is to their credit.
    I have heard left wing authoritarian is one of the least represented sections and quite big too, although I wouldn't want a Labour party that went too far in that direction to win anyway... so not selfless from me.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Roger said:

There's more to life than the stock market:

https://www.ft.com/content/cf51e840-7147-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9
    Not if all your money is tied up in it, but of little interest to Joe public for sure.
  • Options

The assumption made here is that there are no votes to be won from the Tories.

Very telling.
  • Options

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

The index is a weighted average of share prices in local currency (sterling for FTSE and euro for the DAX). However the share price of many shares are strongly influenced by currency movements. So BP for example does well when the dollar is strong against sterling because its income is related to the oil price quoted in dollars.

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question... :(

My question boils down to "Is the index dimensionless (eg 1000) or dimensioned (eg £1000)?" @RobD and @Donny43 both point out that if the index divisor (the thing on the bottom of the weighted index) is in pounds and the top line is in pounds, then the index is dimensionless - i.e. 1000, not £1000. Given that this is the way indices are usually calculated, I'm tempted to say "yes; they're dimensionless".

• Options
    edited December 2018

Mr. Jezziah, no baggage on anti-Semitism/wreath-laying, more competence, less far left insanity, no Momentum eating Labour from the inside out, MP unity, and a coherent position on the EU.

Actually putting pressure on the Conservatives could see the blues drop by about 7-8 points and that shift red.

And let's not forget Cameron at one point had a 28 point lead (around 2009).

Surely some of Labour supporters have been attracted by the 'far left insanity' and even moderates admitted they were aided by Momentum campaigning, who probably wouldn't just disappear straight away if Corbyn went. Some Labour voters actually like Corbyn and the policies.

According to yougov that was 41% of peoples primary reason for voting Labour last time. Surely you don't just keep all that support by changing leader and policy?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited December 2018
    I know hypothetical polling like this isn't completely reliable but is there any recent polling on "how would you vote if Labour was led by [Starmer or some other non-terrible person]? I don't think I've seen any, which I guess either means that nobody has bothered polling it for a while or that switching to [non-terrible Labour leader] doesn't actually seem to produce a newsworthy polling boost.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/trump-has-no-plans-to-sack-fed-chairman-qmthfqkx8

This story is in part the reason why US banks are having meetings with the Treasury Secretary so that they can be reassured.

It is worrying because the entire financial system is based on trust and confidence. Any problems in the US will rapidly affect us here.

Trump has upset the Iraqis and the Afghans, has likely made it easier for IS to regroup, has sold out the Kurds and is now, at best, careless of the effects his words can have on the financial system. Alastair is right. 2019 could easily look a whole load worse than 2018.

The stories from Syria appall:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/world/syria-bodies/
    The Assad regime is every bit as brutal in its own way as ISIS.

If the Turks go after the Kurds, Europe could well see another wave of refugees next year.
    Regular readers may remember me warning about what would happen to the Kurds when the sick pro-Assad asshats on here got their way. I fear that I'm going to be proved right, and that the Kurds, perhaps the cleanest side in that nasty little conflict, and who fought on 'our' side, are going to be abandoned.

As for it causing a wave of refugees through Europe; it might not. The Kurdish areas are away from the Mediterranean, and would have to pass through Assad-held territory. Likewise, the other easy route through Turkey will prove difficult for Kurds, especially non-Turkish kurds. Unless Assad or Erdogan want to cause mischief - but that might not be in their interests.

Instead, expect problems to spread to Iraqi and Iranian Kurdish areas, and for increased terrorism by the Kurdish PKK in Turkey itself. Which itself would play into Erdogan's hands ...
    British and American always dump their partners in these situations , why anybody deals with them it is hard to believe. Hopefully the Kurds will give them a bloody nose, they will not give it up easily.
  • Options

The Tories being on 30 would be part of the explanation of what happens, they aren't on 30 at the moment.

Saying the Tories would lose 10 (ish) and Labour gain 5 (ish) is a fairly big shout.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do hope you are wrong. Cox was quoted as saying she’ll be gone by April. I hope he is right. May is a disaster and has been since she called the snap election. She has achieved nothing in office.

Mogg might have made a total pratt of himself recently but the Tories need someone with a lot more charisma than May and someone with a much broader policy horizon than Brexit, important though Brexit is. The Tories also need someone who is not a control freak in charge. A new leader would get rid of all the dead wood like Grayling, Smith, Clark, Hunt, etc

Given May gave jobs to the likes of Boris and Davis, I find the idea a new leader would get rid of all the dead wood in cabinet unlikely. Some will be kept.
    If that was the case there would be no-one left, I cannot think of any that are not dead wood.
  • Options
    I'm guessing that wasn't the exact terminology used.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1077172056247226370
  • Options

I know hypothetical polling like this isn't completely reliable but is there any recent polling on "how would you vote if Labour was led by [Starmer or some other non-terrible person]? I don't think I've seen any, which I guess either means that nobody has bothered polling it for a while or that switching to [non-terrible Labour leader] doesn't actually seem to produce a newsworthy polling boost.

Another bit of hypothetical polling is how Tory support would be affected if they advocated a second referendum. Curious that.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Afternoon all :)

For all the predictable jibes and sneers against Laura Pidcock, it's a point. Not the party political sniping but there is an overall point about relative poverty which we shouldn't forget at this time of year (and indeed at any time of year).

There are many people who find it economically tough going for whatever reason and Christmas, with its gaudy commercialism and siren calls for consumption and expenditure, can be doubly hard.

Political people of all persuasions should make the alleviation of this poverty a priority but I confess neither preaching about self-responsibility nor expecting the State to do it all seem to cut the mustard.

I applaud those who do their bit to help, whether through charitable donation, volunteering, hosting a lonely elderly person or just being there. They deserve our support and praise. Being alone at Christmas, particularly after a bereavement, can be especially distressing.
  • Options

I remember one from possibly 2015 or 2016 when Corbyn was a lot less secure showing his rivals doing worse or similarly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him doing better now but for whatever reason none have been released.

I would have expected if you could show that Corbyn is a drag on Labour by polling someone would have made the effort show it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

If that was the case there would be no-one left, I cannot think of any that are not dead wood.
    Thinking isn’t your strong point though is it.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2018

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, in England anyway.

Are you talking about homeless people or rough sleepers?

These are tricky statistics. Homeless figures include those in temprary accommodation with a roof over their head.

Rough sleepers are spending the night without a formal shelter and are only a tenth of the 'homeless' numbers.

ONS figures for England show 4751 rough sleepers of which 760 are EU nationals, 193 non EU and 402 unknown nationality.
  • Options

That's a good point. But I remember during the 92 election a Labour Party official was on Newsnight. In those pre-internet days you could assume that only political anoraks and partisans were watching that late. The polls were looking pretty good for Labour at this point. But he said that although there was a lot of support for his party, the support was rather soft and he was far from happy. He said that the trouble was that there were a lot of people who wanted to vote Labour, and would tell a pollster that they would. But they had questions that might stop them actually putting the cross against the paper.

It is a shame that the current political culture punishes such honesty. As we now know, Labour didn't succeed that time.

I have a feeling that Mr Corbyn has a similar problem as Mr Kinnock did. Liked but not respected. 15-20% poll leads are fantasy with any leader, but failing to quite close the deal on a majority looks quite likely. And I have a feeling that the extra 2-3% a different leader might pull in might just make the difference.
    I'd disagree but it seems a more realistic prospect.
  • Options

The Tories being on 30 would be part of the explanation of what happens, they aren't on 30 at the moment.

Saying the Tories would lose 10 (ish) and Labour gain 5 (ish) is a fairly big shout.
    With LD and UKIP both becalmed it wouldn't be weird to see something like Lab 47, Con 32. But I don't think a merely competent Labour leader would be enough for that, I think you'd need someone positively charismatic, like Blair at the height of his powers.

But like I say, this argument really needs some polling data.
  • Options
    Mr. F, a thimble of fun. A barrel would be an extravagance.
This discussion has been closed.