Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Triple First!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Did I miss the Bewitched reference? There must have been one.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Did I miss the Bewitched reference? There must have been one.

That's for another thread, I only mentioned one girlband in this thread
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Great stuff from Soamesy!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Bobajob said:

Afriye to Soames - I'll put you down as a Possible , then .
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

That's a classy rant!

• Options

Bobajob said:

Afriye to Soames - I'll put you down as a Possible , then .
    Arf :)

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    So are you suggesting that the only prospect for the beggar is to marry one of the remaining Beatles, or to remain on the dole?

Alternatively he could be rehabilitated from drug addiction, and educated into literacy via a number of govt schemes. Indeed Ed Milliband has guarenteed a job for him!
    tim said:

Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski to one-legged beggar: ‘Get a job’

"Get a Beatle" works better.

• Options
    Top start to this thread! Lol
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Unfortunately I'm out of rum, so I will have to raise a glass of whisky to toast Lord Nelson and the men of the British fleet at Trafalgar. The toast of course is "Death to the French!"
  • Options
    If you ask me, Nick Soames went easy on Adam Afriyie.

If it had been me, I would have been much harsher.

Adam, you complete bell end, you must be a secret Labour plant, you're treachery towards the party and The PM is positively French/Lib Dem.

I've had sandwiches with greater intelligence than you.

There's more chance of me having a threesome with Emma Stone and Christina Hendricks than you becoming Tory leader.

I hope you spend eternity forced to listen to Justin Bieber music whilst a herd of elephants mate next to you.
  • Options
    Evening Comrades!

Today is Trafalgar Day, the 208th anniversary of Comrade Horatio's heroic victory and sacrifice against the French Imperialist Capitalists off the Spanish coast.
  • Options
    According to the Rachel Sylvester in the Times

Mr Cameron is said to be “baffled” by Mr Clegg’s intervention. A Cabinet minister describes it as “very odd” that the Deputy Prime Minister should have become “more left-wing than Ed Balls”.
  • Options
    Lol another Tory reckons

“It’s a sign of weakness to be saying all this now,” says one senior figure. “If Labour is enacting a 35 per cent strategy, hoping to sneak into power with just 35 per cent of the vote, the Liberal Democrats are going for a 10 per cent strategy to avoid annihilation at the next election. Nick Clegg has to shore up his core vote and he obviously thinks that includes state school teachers.”
  • Options

You think he should have come down on him like a huge wardrobe with a small key sticking out?
  • Options
    Er, Sunil, we were the glorious capitalists, financing the european armies to fight the cheese eating surrender monkeys. In many ways it was the power of the city financiers that crushed the frogs, who so recently had been republican revolutionaries.

Evening Comrades!

Today is Trafalgar Day, the 208th anniversary of Comrade Horatio's heroic victory and sacrifice against the French Imperialist Capitalists off the Spanish coast.

• Options
    Neil said:

You think he should have come down on him like a huge wardrobe with a small key sticking out?
    That's the sort of post that leads to exile to conhome
  • Options
    Adam you are a platinum grade cock wart.
    You are about as helpful to the Tory cause as a 50% British Gas price hike personally ordered by David Cameron.
    You have the sex appeal of Michael Gove and the charm of a coprophiliac mule.
    I have more chance of shagging Luciana Berger on the Labour benches during PMQs than you have of ever being prime minister.
    See you next Tuesday.

• Options
    You are Chukka And I claim my five pounds!
    Bobajob said:

You are about as helpful to the Tory cause as a 50% British Gas price hike personally ordered by David Cameron.
    I have more chance of shagging Luciana Berger on the Labour benches during PMQs than you have of ever being prime minister.
    See you next Tuesday.

• Options

Adam, you complete bell end, you must be a secret Labour plant, you're treachery towards the party and The PM is positively French/Lib Dem.

There's more chance of me having a threesome with Emma Stone and Christina Hendricks than you becoming Tory leader.

I hope you spend eternity forced to listen to Justin Bieber music whilst a herd of elephants mate next to you.

Is it entirely coincidental that his name is an anagram of A Mad Fairey?
  • Options

No
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Number 23 story looks very worrying,how the hell did he get over here when it emerged he had previously been questioned by police in his native Ukraine over a small explosion in his flat there.
  • Options
    Re NPower, British Gas et al

Why all the outrage at their price increases?

You can't tell me any other companies that are doing more to combat global warming than those.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

I have more chance of shagging Rachel Reeves on the Labour benches during PMQs than you have of ever being prime minister.
    See you next Tuesday.

Corrected it for you :)
  • Options

No
    Thought not.

Nite one and all, and a special good nite to all members of the Fatty Soames Fan Club (founder and chairperson : Jack 'The Sporran' W.)

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    A PB first, actually crying with laughter.
    Exiled downstairs for laughing too much
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Been telling you the Greens will get hammered in Brighton. Can't see Lucas getting far enough away from the fallout.

From earlier thread - not impressed with Hunt, and I wanted to have hope. Nothing to do with policy, I just haven't seen him on top of his brief as yet (and he's had more than enough time to get prepped). He was awful on QT on the ed question.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited October 2013
    Freggles said:

In the past, I've been exiled to the spare bedroom because of PB.

What was the cause of your laughter?
  • Options
    The torrents of abuse directed at one M. Afriye
  • Options
    Carola said:

Can't see Lucas getting far enough away from the fallout.

Lib Dem MPs do it all the time.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Perhaps we should have the occasional threads where we pick a politician and aim torrents of abuse at them.

I could combine it with nighthawks.
  • Options

Perhaps we should have the occasional threads where we pick a politician and aim torrents of abuse at them.

You could make Stewart Jackson the first subject - it would make up for the torrents of abuse he gave out here!
  • Options
    I bet Dave will love reading those thread headers on his iPad
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889

Unfortunately I'm out of rum, so I will have to raise a glass of whisky to toast Lord Nelson and the men of the British fleet at Trafalgar. The toast of course is "Death to the French!"

I'm currently swigging down some mead, as a celebration of the successful completion of Mrs J's first marathon!

Woohoo!

The question is, should I be swigging down mead, Viking style, savouring it like a fine wine, or lying on the floor paralytic, as often happens when I drink whisky?
  • Options
    Neil said:

You could make Stewart Jackson the first subject - it would make up for the torrents of abuse he gave out here!
    We could have a pb poll, conducted under AV, where we choose which politician to aim torrents of abuse at.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I bet Dave will love reading those thread headers on his iPad

According to reports, Dave didn't like this piece I wrote a few months ago, I think Adam Afriyie liked it though.

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/02/28/are-we-entering-the-twilight-of-the-leadership-of-dave/
  • Options
    We could call it "Adam is crap"

Even in Westminster, his self regard must stand out.

Freggles said:

• Options
    Neil said:

Carola said:

Don't LD councils usually do ok re popularity? I don't know, it's just the impression I get.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited October 2013

Neil said:

We could have a pb poll, conducted under AV, where we choose which politician to aim torrents of abuse at.
    Splendid idea. Would have to be relatively minor figures, newbies or old school MPs only though - people have the opportunity to hurl abuse at the respective front benches every day of course.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited October 2013
    A curious rant from ultra-loyalist Soames considering the last time Tiny Blair Cameron was utterly humiliated by his own backbenchers Afriyie wasn't among the rebels.
    Full list of Conservative rebel MPs who sank the Government’s Syria motion

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2013/08/syria-rebels.html
    Nor is Afriyie at the top of the list among the likes of Hollobone, Carswell and the many, many other Eurosceptics who have rebelled consistently against Cammie. Rebelled on such issues as the first time they demanded an EU referendum when Cammie mounted a three line whip against them to name but one.

When the rebels were busy making Cammie look like John Major Adam Afriyie's name was certainly not the most prominent.
    Rebuff for Cameron as 116 Tory MPs back rebellion on Europe

Tory Eurosceptics staged a huge show of strength yesterday as David Cameron failed to limit the party’s split over Europe.

Despite the Prime Minister’s hastily produced referendum Bill, 116 Conservative MPs voted against the Queen’s Speech, including 11 parliamentary aides. The scale of the Tory vote surprised even leading rebels, who, earlier in the day, believed that many colleagues had been bought off by Mr Cameron’s manoeuvre.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3765805.ece

It's patently ridiculous to suggest the huge split in the tory party over the EU is down to Afriyie alone, but if it makes Soames and his ilk feel better to think so then let them rant. They may well get a shock come the EU elections if they persist in that delusion however.
  • Options

Freggles said:

But for Adam, it should be not one thread but say December to 2014 summer solstice. He won't stand for being bullied but he should defect and set up his own fan club party. A complete cock.
  • Options
    That Soames outburst is a bit like what you get in Brighton if you mention the Greens.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

A curious rant from ultra-loyalist Soames considering the last time Tiny Blair Cameron was utterly humiliated by his own backbenchers Afriyie wasn't among the rebels.

Full list of Conservative rebel MPs who sank the Government’s Syria motion

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2013/08/syria-rebels.html
    Nor is Afriyie at the top of the list among the likes of Hollobone, Carswell and the many, many other Eurosceptics who have rebelled consistently against Cammie. Rebelled on such issues as the first time they demanded an EU referendum when Cammie mounted a three line whip against top name but one.

When they were busy making Cammie look line John Major Afriyie's name was certainly not the most prominent.
    Rebuff for Cameron as 116 Tory MPs back rebellion on Europe

Tory Eurosceptics staged a huge show of strength yesterday as David Cameron failed to limit the party’s split over Europe.

Despite the Prime Minister’s hastily produced referendum Bill, 116 Conservative MPs voted against the Queen’s Speech, including 11 parliamentary aides. The scale of the Tory vote surprised even leading rebels, who, earlier in the day, believed that many colleagues had been bought off by Mr Cameron’s manoeuvre.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3765805.ece

It's patently ridiculous to suggest the huge split in the tory party over the EU is down to Afriyie alone, but if it makes Soames and his ilk feel better to think so then let them rant. They may well get a shock come the EU elections if they persist in that delusion however.
    I would guess, and I admit it is pure speculation, that a lot of those who hate Cameron feel they are doing so on principle but think that Afriyie's moves are motivated mainly by self aggrandizement, which is why the leadership is showing dislike for his moves and yet the boring old rebels are not embracing a potential new ally.

Certainly the level of vitriol aimed at him does not match the level of his actions, so there must be more to it than merely a reaction to his behaviour.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Neil said:

Stewart I have more chance of Gloria del Piero, Rachel Reeves and Luciana Berger cooking me grouse in designer lingerie than you have of ever being adequate. Yours, Nicolas.
  • Options
    Carola said:

That Soames outburst is a bit like what you get in Brighton if you mention the Greens.

I will be in Brighton at the end of January, I shall conduct a focus group and report my findings.
  • Options
    Jack Dromey.
    Full stop.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Don't LD councils usually do ok re popularity? I don't know, it's just the impression I get.
    It goes in cycles. They get in ... eventually the charm wears off and they are booted out ... often the MP is well able to run against his / her own council and avoid the same swing. I dont expect the Greens to remain the largest party on B+H council in 2015, I do expect Caroline Lucas to hold on.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    A Conservative MP told a one-legged drug addict in a wheelchair begging outside Parliament to 'get a job'.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

It goes in cycles. They get in ... eventually the charm wears off and they are booted out ... often the MP is well able to run against his / her own council and avoid the same swing. I dont expect the Greens to remain the largest party on B+H council in 2015, I do expect Caroline Lucas to hold on.
    Any plans to try and focus on another area and snatch another marginal, a Brighton 2.0, or is that not a viable option?

It is interesting to see the different UKIP/Green tactics. The Greens built up some local support and focused their efforts intensely to sneak a win, and are not pursuing the kind of widely popular policies that would allow any other type of tactic as far as I can see, whereas UKIP seem to be throwing everything at the wall, being as broadly populist as they can be and maximising their total number of votes so that, on the balance of probabilities, eventually enough support will agglomerate in one area for them to sneak a win as well, despite not focusing intensely on it.

It would help their cause immensely if they could get a by-election win before the GE to prove it need not be a wasted vote, so I do hope for that option if only to make 2015 a bit more interesting.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good evening, everyone.

F1: early discussion of India is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/india-early-discussion.html

In other F1 news, Daniil Kvyat (a 19 year old Russian) has gotten the other Toro Rosso seat: http://www.espn.co.uk/tororosso/motorsport/story/130951.html

With Sirotkin pencilled-in for Sauber, that means there'll be two very young Russian chaps on the grid next year.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

You forget the thing that should cheer you and Caroline up.

I've bet that the Greens will have zero MPs in 2015.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Fancy.... a bet??!
  • Options
    Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Fancy.... a bet??!
    Sure - 50 at evens?
  • Options
    WATCH OUT FOR THE LEG-EXPLODING SPIDERS!

STAR: Killer Spiders made my leg explode #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers pic.twitter.com/UH0PBeYwEJ
  • Options
    Co-op Group loses majority control of banking division

Co-operative Group will now control 30% of the bank's equity, less than the 75% proposed in the original rescue plan

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/21/coop-group-bank-us-hedge-funds
  • Options

A Conservative MP told a one-legged drug addict in a wheelchair begging outside Parliament to 'get a job'.

Indeed. See tims excellent pun at thread start.

• Options
    Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Fancy.... a bet??!
    Sure - 50 at evens?
    Yep okay, whatever that means. Mike's got my email - do I need to email PtP?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Any plans to try and focus on another area and snatch another marginal, a Brighton 2.0, or is that not a viable option?

It is interesting to see the different UKIP/Green tactics. The Greens built up some local support and focused their efforts intensely to sneak a win, and are not pursuing the kind of widely popular policies that would allow any other type of tactic as far as I can see, whereas UKIP seem to be throwing everything at the wall, being as broadly populist as they can be and maximising their total number of votes so that, on the balance of probabilities, eventually enough support will agglomerate in one area for them to sneak a win as well, despite not focusing intensely on it.

It would help their cause immensely if they could get a by-election win before the GE to prove it need not be a wasted vote.
    Brighton Pavilion took three GEs to win. The only other seat in anywhere near the same shape is Norwich South but that was buggered by the Lib Dems winning in 2010. So .. no!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited October 2013
    kle4 said:

Certainly the level of vitriol aimed at him does not match the level of his actions, so there must be more to it than merely a reaction to his behaviour.

Indeed there is.
    He's a useful aunt sally for the chumocracy as it's certainly not Afriyie they most fear but the more persistent and troublesome rebels who seem content for the moment to keep their powder dry until during or after the EU elections. Cammie's problem is that Eurosceptic rebels don't particularly care about Afriyie and certainly won't be cowed by attacks on him. They are far more interested in pushing Cammie and the tory party ever closer to a full blown OUT position and they will be looking for yet more concessions on that front when they resurface again.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

He actually offered to help him get on a government sponsored scheme to train for a job. But that's not as good a story.
  • Options
    So there are a bunch of hedge funds owning the Labour party overdraft.

That bonus tax just became less likely!

Co-operative Group will now control 30% of the bank's equity, less than the 75% proposed in the original rescue plan

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited October 2013
    No 16: It is not the first time Soames has been accused of using rather strong language in defence of his party leader.

Surely the bigger issue is the mixed metaphor? "chateau bottled nuclear powered ****" - I mean, what kind of grandson of Sir Winston Churchill could come up with that?
  • Options
    Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Fancy.... a bet??!
    Sure - 50 at evens?
    We can just PM each other here when we need to settle if you like. I havent usually bothered PtP with bets in the past as the settlement is crystal clear (and anyone I'd contemplate betting with here seem ultra reliable).
  • Options

US hedge fund meets labour party banker....popcorn?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Fancy.... a bet??!
    Sure - 50 at evens?
    We can just PM each other here when we need to settle if you like. I havent usually bothered PtP with bets in the past as the settlement is crystal clear (and anyone I'd contemplate betting with here seem ultra reliable).
    Okey-doke.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889

Good evening, everyone.

In other F1 news, Daniil Kvyat (a 19 year old Russian) has gotten the other Toro Rosso seat: http://www.espn.co.uk/tororosso/motorsport/story/130951.html

With Sirotkin pencilled-in for Sauber, that means there'll be two very young Russian chaps on the grid next year.

Kyvat's a good driver IMHO, but it's madness to take him from GP3 straight into F1. Bottas won GP3 in 2011, and spent a year as a reserve driver before getting a seat in F1 at Williams. Guiterraz won in 2010, went into GP2 in 2011, and spent 2011 and 2012 as an F1 test driver. Both had been in and around F1 for a couple of years, and a better track record.

It's yet another sign that F1 is more about money than talent. There are plenty of better and more promising drivers out there, e.g. James Callado amongst others.
  • Options
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

Carola said:

It would help their cause immensely if they could get a by-election win before the GE to prove it need not be a wasted vote.
    Brighton Pavilion took three GEs to win. The only other seat in anywhere near the same shape is Norwich South but that was buggered by the Lib Dems winning in 2010. So .. no!
    So if the Greens are not winning any councils, or building up support to the point another parliamentary seat becomes potentially attainable, what exactly are they trying to achieve? Retaining Brighton Pavilion becomes the sole focus of efforts? Even for a party that is not setting out to appeal to the mass electorate by dulting its messaging (which I actually appreciate), that seems a narrow focus, as slip up even slightly and they disappear and won't even get an invite on to QT. Tough times.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Jessop, there are some suggestions that the new Strategy Group is basically designed to eliminate half the teams and have the current top teams (and Williams, for historical reasons) have customer teams as well.

Sounds bloody awful, if that is the case.
  • Options
    @Carola

If Caroline wins I'll be able to finance an entire PB Tory cocktail party by myself but dont tell JohnO or he'll insist I do just that ;)
  • Options
    saddened said:

He actually offered to help him get on a government sponsored scheme to train for a job. But that's not as good a story.
    Not as cliche a story at least, certainly. Even if it was just the first story above, I wouldn't care, but I suppose each side needs to get in its fill of preaching to the choir stories per annum. We should have a poll on what non-story will be the Tory response to this non-story.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So if the Greens are not winning any councils, or building up support to the point another parliamentary seat becomes potentially attainable, what exactly are they trying to achieve?

Sorry, I meant I didnt think any other seats were winnable in 2015. Just being honest!

More MEPS, councillors and eventually MPs are the electoral goals (and I would expect / hope for progress on two of those over the next few years).
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Kyvat's a good driver IMHO, but it's madness to take him from GP3 straight into F1. Bottas won GP3 in 2011, and spent a year as a reserve driver before getting a seat in F1 at Williams. Guiterraz won in 2010, went into GP2 in 2011, and spent 2011 and 2012 as an F1 test driver. Both had been in and around F1 for a couple of years, and a better track record.

It's yet another sign that F1 is more about money than talent. There are plenty of better and more promising drivers out there, e.g. James Callado amongst others.
    F1 was always about money more than talent wasn't it? So at least it's not a degredation.

And didn't Kimi Raikkonen have fewer than 20 competitive races in a car under his belt when he entered F1 or something? Works out sometimes.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Neil said:

@Carola

If Caroline wins I'll be able to finance an entire PB Tory cocktail party by myself but dont tell JohnO or he'll insist I do just that ;)

Too bloody right I will. Mind you, tim should enable us to purchase the entire bar

• Options
    @JohnO

I thought you got SeanT to pay for the entire next pbc drinks?
  • Options
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

So if the Greens are not winning any councils, or building up support to the point another parliamentary seat becomes potentially attainable, what exactly are they trying to achieve?

Sorry, I meant I didnt think any other seats were winnable in 2015. Just being honest!

More MEPS, councillors and eventually MPs are the electoral goals (and I would expect / hope for progress on two of those over the next few years).
    Didn't mean to seem to be having a go at you; I just wished there was more diversity of candidates round my way and in politics in general, so I keep looing for a 'hail mary' tactic or area which might allow other parties a look in around the country. It's why I wish UKIP a good result despite not supporting them politically.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited October 2013
    Why do some people pronounce "nuclear" as "nucular"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoASZyihalc

• Options
    Dr Ion on newsnight. Great name for an atomic scientist.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@JohnO

He drove a hard bargain - I had to concede the entire and exclusive dogging rights of Oxshott AND Cobham.

But you're worth it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

@JohnO

He drove a hard bargain - I had to concede the entire and exclusive dogging rights of Oxshott AND Cobham.

But you're worth it.
    Thanks for that John. I'll pass this on to the Surrey Comet. CON council leader selling dogging rights on council land

• Options
    edited October 2013

Why is Magdalen College, Oxford pronounced Mawdlin? (So I'm told - they don't allow my sort to even speak the name of such an illustrious institution aloud) Language is weird because people are weird and dumb. Give it a few decades and who knows, maybe we'll spell it 'nucular' too.

Or it might be because that's how Homer Simpson pronounces it. I used to pronounce 'Pro-gress' as 'Prog-ress' because of Darth Vader. True story.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's why I wish UKIP a good result despite not supporting them politically.

I'm utterly bemused at UKIP's failure to select in its richest target seats so far. It might be a strategy of some kind but I cant see it working as well as traditional electoral techniques!
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Carola

Probably time to consign that gag to the annals of history Neil - it's a bit Mrs Bone

• Options
    An astonishing article by John Rentoul on wealth inequality by country:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/10/21/wealth-more-equal-in-uk-than-in-france-or-germany/

• Options
    "Hypocritical Nick Clegg had the best education in the country from unqualified teachers"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100071057/hypocritical-nick-clegg-had-the-best-education-in-the-country-from-unqualified-teachers/

Nick Clegg 'two-faced' over free school critisicm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/10394492/Nick-Clegg-two-faced-over-free-school-critisicm.html

"Conservative planning minister Nick Boles, meanwhile, suggested Mr Clegg was a hypocrite because he did not want state schools to have the same freedoms enjoyed by his expensive private alma mater, Westminster School.
    ‘Clegg thinks that the freedoms enjoyed by his old school are too good for free schools. Don't look to Lib Dems to defend your freedoms, folks,’ he said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2469745/Clegg-savaged-free-schools-U-turn-Deputy-Prime-Minister-accused-pandering-Labour.html#ixzz2iOaEHJI2
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

@Carola

Probably time to consign that gag to the annals of history Neil - it's a bit Mrs Bone

I'll do you a deal - I promise to mention it less often than you moan about your marginal rate of tax!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

It's why I wish UKIP a good result despite not supporting them politically.

I'm utterly bemused at UKIP's failure to select in its richest target seats so far. It might be a strategy of some kind but I cant see it working as well as traditional electoral techniques!
    I'm guessing it's a combination of surprise at how much support they've managed to gather doing what they have done so far, and don't wish to alter tactics and potentially mess that up even with sensible moves, and not enough competent people organising things behind the scenes (although eventually sheer weight of support will dictate that statistically some will be the right people to sort them out) to manage things, combined with an attempt to not seem like the 'professional politicians' of the other parties, ignoring that sometimes all the other parties do things a certain way because it works, and so too many stubborn supporters to be marshalled.

So instead they try to appear as a populist surge rather than a mass manipulated by a revolutionary elite at the top of their own party. External factors like how crappy the EU is are more important than their own efforts campaigning I would guess, so perhaps they are just in no hurry to knuckle down and get serious. It's mostly worked up to now, and as the Greens are apparently finding out in Brighton Council, things get tougher once you cross the threshold and get in.

On this though I could be well wide of the mark, but I too am a little bemused by their tactics.

• Options
    Neil said:

@Carola

Well, may the best woman win ;)

Night all.
  • Options
    @Carola

I've just realised a potential flaw in incentivising voters in the constituency to vote against her...
  • Options
    I think a large part of the inequality is in ownership of property. The high prices of property mean that the owner occupiers of Britain have greater assets than their european counterparts.

Many middle clas French and Germans rent, rather than own.

An astonishing article by John Rentoul on wealth inequality by country:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/10/21/wealth-more-equal-in-uk-than-in-france-or-germany/

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited October 2013
    Nick Soames nervously entered the doctor's surgery. One thing worried him - where was the doctor? Behind the desk at the far end of the room was the doctor’s chair. Its back was facing him, so Nick gingerly edged forward to investigate. However, he was barely halfway across the room when the chair swivelled round, and there, to his infinite horror, was the dread Adam Afriyie!

The younger man's mouth narrowed into a malicious grin, and he began to speak in his clipped Berkshire accent.

"Ah, my boy! I see you still haven't slimmed down yet! Why is that?" he asked, and he leaned across the desk menacingly.

"I tried, Adam! Honest, I tried!" Nick replied, quivering with fear!

"Trying is not good enough!" roared Adam, and quick as a flash he leapt out from his chair, grabbing Nick in the process, and using his immense strength, flinging him onto the nearby couch! Adam then leapt back behind the desk, and, laughing maniacally, opened a drawer and produced a massive hacksaw!

"No! Please, Adam!" whimpered Nick pathetically. "Please, don't!"

But the rising star was adamant to teach the old man a lesson. He leapt back towards the couch and proceeded to hack off Nick's pseudo-feminine man-boobs with a single scythe-like motion! Mutilated and bleeding, Nick begged for mercy. But Adam next did something that even Nick swore was just a myth: he extended his twelve-inch long proboscis, and used it to puncture the poor lad's blubbery abdominal region! And then to suck hard!

"Nooooooooo!" Nick screamed, as he felt his adversary guzzle up his precious life-fat, and within moments he was just a sack of skin and bones, fat-less it has to be admitted, but unfortunately life-less too. Once he had drained every last drop of his latest victim's, er, "load", Adam let out a satisfied belch and a soft, low growl of contentment, before leaving the doctor's surgery.

• Options

I think a large part of the inequality is in ownership of property. The high prices of property mean that the owner occupiers of Britain have greater assets than their european counterparts.

But look at the figure bar for the bottom 50%. I doubt whether the bottom 50% in the UK own much net housing property, but the the bar looks like about four times higher than the equivalent for Germany.

I find this hard to believe.
  • Options
    PM announces new measures to help Muslim students and entrepreneurs

New proposals will extend availability of Start-Up and student loans to make them consistent with Islamic financial principles.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-announces-new-measures-to-help-muslim-students-and-entrepreneurs
  • Options

Or 'Am Fairy Aide', 'I Fade My Aria', meanwhile Tristram Hunt becomes 'Truants mirth'......

• Options
    James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 1m
    EXC Theresa May axes 'go home' immigration vans days after they were defended by @Mark_J_Harper pic.twitter.com/l1dlBt20Wi

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Measures to help muslims, axing the 'go home' vans - are the Tories shifting to the left?! Red Dave!!!!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why is Magdalen College, Oxford pronounced Mawdlin?
    since you ask:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/1999/02/24/6637043.Maudlin_or_Magdalen_/?ref=arc
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

Was that Nicky or Tom Strathclyde?
  • Options
    Bearing in mind that most Brits main financial asset is their house, these figures must be tied up with property. in the UK 69% are owner occupiers compared to 55% in France, 55% in the Netherlands and 42% in Germany.

Because 80% of Greeks own their properties, I recall recently reading that the average Greek has greater nominal net assets than the average German. How realiseable these assets are in practical terms is a different matter.

But look at the figure bar for the bottom 50%. I doubt whether the bottom 50% in the UK own much net housing property, but the the bar looks like about four times higher than the equivalent for Germany.

I find this hard to believe.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

JohnO said:

Neil said:

@JohnO

But you're worth it.
    Thanks for that John. I'll pass this on to the Surrey Comet. CON council leader selling dogging rights on council land

Bearing in mind that some loathsome sh1t did stitch up Rik Willis for comments made here, I should say that the 'dogging issue' is a source of genuine local concern, so perhaps it was inappropriate on my part to have made a joke about it.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Neil said:

@JohnO

But you're worth it.

Bearing in mind that some loathsome sh1t did stitch up Rik Willis for comments made here, I should say that the 'dogging issue' is a source of genuine local concern, so perhaps it was inappropriate on my part to have made a joke about it.
    Dogging is a reference to people allowing their dogs to shit in public places and not picking it up?

::Innocent face::
This discussion has been closed.