Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A few general election constituency betting markets for your p

124»

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Nigelb said:

Bruce himself has spoken: it is not a Christmas movie, but a “god damn Bruce Willis movie”.
    https://www.radiox.co.uk/news/tv-film/is-die-hard-a-christmas-film/

Granted, the accompanying poll is of the easily deluded US public, but still...

Thank you, only the terminally stupid will continue to maintain that Die Hard is a Christmas film.
    The Crown for the Terminnally Stupid goes to

a) someone claiming that Die Hard is a Christmas Movie

b) somone paying £700 for a pair of trainers (to boot, a design that gets knocked off by counterfeiters).

Hmmmm, need to ponder on that a while......
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,399

No yet we don’t and Remainers seem to be doing their best to give a two fingered salute to 52% of the electorate.

The current electorate backs Remain. It’s your lot that want to ignore this fact.
    Good thing we do everything based on opinion polls.

• Shame it isn’t true though isn’t it.

We live in Brexit Britain, truth left a long time ago. All that matters is which Tory can hate immigrants the loudest.
    No yet we don’t and Remainers seem to be doing their best to give a two fingered salute to 52% of the electorate.

Supporters of a Labour Party wracked by misogyny and antisemitism, particularly if they are Remainers and also believe in race based immigration apartheid, are giving a whole new definition to hate based politics.
    The current electorate backs Remain. It’s your lot that wants to ignore this fact.
    It’s votes that counts not polls. Given the fact that MPs have practised nothing but Project Fear with the electorate for 2 years, I think the Leave vote has held up remarkably well.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

By the way I have a new favourite word in the English language.

https://twitter.com/RomeshRanga/status/1079067097047711744

It will make an appearance in a future PB thread header, fuckwangled has replaced schadenfreude as my favourite word in the English language.

Cheered me up a bit... Was expecting more than 5 though.
    We were conserving energy for Thursday.

Wish me luck, I've got tickets and I have to pretend to be a Citeh supporter for the evening.

Worst of all I'm in the cheap seats.
    With the plebs, i presume you will be showing in dettol afterwards!
    Have a booked a delousing for straight after the match.
    How are you going to pass as a City fan? First goal (or chance even) at either end will give you away.
    Surely TSE will be spotted well before then...unless he is going to dig out the old tracksuit, shoulder man bag and fake burberry cap.
    It is fake Gucci and Louis Vuitton these days in Manchester.

Which is galling when I have the genuine stuff.
    The idea that snobbery is possible in the context of football is amusing.

It is, sort of, in Glasgow. Partick Thistle fans are popularly portrayed as craft beer drinking, Camus reading hipsters, existentially inured to sporting failure.
    Sounds as though they are not really interested in football, so I guess it’s possible.
    (And I’m pretty sure the goalkeeping thing was just an ironic pose for Camus, too...)
    Not really. Old Albert genuinely was a promising goalie. His career was ended by TB in his teens, but he already kept goal for his University, one of the best teams in Algeria.

• No yet we don’t and Remainers seem to be doing their best to give a two fingered salute to 52% of the electorate.

I voted to leave, so I'm not really a remainer.

But leavers have shown themselves to be, by and large, racist imbeciles to a man. So, yeah, happy to give you the finger. Y'all can swivel on it too, if you want.
    So you exclude yourself from your own definition of “racist imbecile”. How convenient !!

I have an immigrant son in law. We both voted Leave, Dint really worry to much about ignorant people who don’t me calling me racist or xenophobic. Doesn’t make it true but says a lot about them.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    kle4 said:

The current electorate backs Remain. It’s your lot that want to ignore this fact.
    Blame Cameron for submitting the question to a big opinion poll.
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    Deleted
  • Duplicated

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,399

kle4 said:

Yes, an advisory referendum is the same thing as suggesting that because opinion polls say X we must do X, that's why every government must change after a couple of years. Even you cannot believe that. There are several reasons for a referendum, that polls point to remain now is actually not one of them, in fact highlighting that shows that your goal is never and has never involved caring what the people want, only caring if you think the result will be as you want it to be.

It is incredibly transparent and unworthy of the people making the argument.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It will make an appearance in a future PB thread header, fuckwangled has replaced schadenfreude as my favourite word in the English language.

Wish me luck, I've got tickets and I have to pretend to be a Citeh supporter for the evening.

How are you going to pass as a City fan? First goal (or chance even) at either end will give you away.
    Surely TSE will be spotted well before then...unless he is going to dig out the old tracksuit, shoulder man bag and fake burberry cap.

It is, sort of, in Glasgow. Partick Thistle fans are popularly portrayed as craft beer drinking, Camus reading hipsters, existentially inured to sporting failure.
    Sounds as though they are not really interested in football, so I guess it’s possible.
    (And I’m pretty sure the goalkeeping thing was just an ironic pose for Camus, too...)
    Not really. Old Albert genuinely was a promising goalie. His career was ended by TB in his teens, but he already kept goal for his University, one of the best teams in Algeria.
    As an existentialist/absurdist, he took irony to fairly extreme levels.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, an advisory referendum is the same thing as suggesting that because opinion polls say X we must do X, that's why every government must change after a couple of years. Even you cannot believe that. There are several reasons for a referendum, that polls point to remain now is actually not one of them, in fact highlighting that shows that your goal is never and has never involved caring what the people want, only caring if you think the result will be as you want it to be.

It is incredibly transparent and unworthy of the people making the argument.
    Article 50 was bound to end up in a choice between ratification of a deal, leaving with no deal, or revocation. Whether it makes sense to submit that choice to a further referendum does depend largely on whether opinion appears to be settled or not, and whether their is clear parliamentary support for any one option, so I reject that accusation.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,232
    OhGodOhGodOhGod:

They've given a ferry contract to a company with no ships.

The CEO declined to give details on which ships it planned to use for the service, saying the information was commercially sensitive, but said they planned to start operations with two ships.

Some people are going to make an absolute stack out of Brexit panic... :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46714984

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

As an existentialist/absurdist, he took irony to fairly extreme levels.

Researching further he was keeper for Racing Universiaire Algerios youth team. Retired due to illness in1930. His old side became North African Champions in 1935. No idea of the standard in International terms, but I reckon that counts as at least half decent.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    AndyJS said:

I've been in Boston, MA for a couple of weeks and haven't heard anyone swearing in the street so far. Makes a nice change from England.

The evolving culture of swearing is interesting, though, isn't it? Britain is unusual in having lots of sexual swearwords - swearing in German or Danish (the languages I know best) is traditionally about non-sexual bodily functions, and shouting "fuck!" in Danish just sounds odd, like shouting "eat!" or "sneeze!". That said, international culture is doing its thing in that field too, so it's quite common for Germans to say the English word "fucked" as an angry adjective - there isn't a German equivalent ("gefickt", I suppose, but I've never heard it used).

When The Killing was broadcast in Britain, the subtitler deliberately inserted lots of swearing that isn't in the original, as he said that a British audience wouldn't find it credible if tough police officers went around saying "Bother!" and "Damn!" That seems a pity, and anyway as a part-time professional translator I disagree - I think one should represent the original, and let the viewer decide what to make of it - otherwise everything gets splurged into a sort of linguistic no man's land.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    I disagree with it being called a 'movie'. It sounds very American. It's a film.
    edited December 2018

AndyJS said:

I've been in Boston, MA for a couple of weeks and haven't heard anyone swearing in the street so far. Makes a nice change from England.

The evolving culture of swearing is interesting, though, isn't it? Britain is unusual in having lots of sexual swearwords - swearing in German or Danish (the languages I know best) is traditionally about non-sexual bodily functions, and shouting "fuck!" in Danish just sounds odd, like shouting "eat!" or "sneeze!". That said, international culture is doing its thing in that field too, so it's quite common for Germans to say the English word "fucked" as an angry adjective - there isn't a German equivalent ("gefickt", I suppose, but I've never heard it used).

When The Killing was broadcast in Britain, the subtitler deliberately inserted lots of swearing that isn't in the original, as he said that a British audience wouldn't find it credible if tough police officers went around saying "Bother!" and "Damn!" That seems a pity, and anyway as a part-time professional translator I disagree - I think one should represent the original, and let the viewer decide what to make of it - otherwise everything gets splurged into a sort of linguistic no man's land.
    Mandarin Chinese has no real swear words. Stupid egg is about the most profane. Taiwanese has a vast range of interesting and explicit sexual suggestions to use instead. Needless to say, this was the only Taiwanese I ever learned or needed to use.
    Interestingly, Chinese used swear words very inappropriately in English conversation. They could never quite get it right, no matter how good their general English. My advice was never to use.
    Also, foreigners would invent and use Mandarin equivalents...gan ni gan tou...f you f head.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    people - grabcoque is an attention seeking troll.

Please, please stop feeding it.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Nigelb said:

It really is, when I spend £700 on a pair of trainers and there's some chav boasting he's picked up the same trainers (but fake) for £90 in Rusholme I'm tempted to called in the Rozzers.
    I just buy from Deichmann, £24 tops :)
    Sensible man Sunil

AndyJS said:

English has nothing on Russian when it comes to sexual swearwords.
    edited December 2018
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Mandarin Chinese has no real swear words. Stupid egg is about the most profane. Taiwanese has a vast range of interesting and explicit sexual suggestions to use instead. Needless to say, this was the only Taiwanese I ever learned or needed to use.
    Interestingly, Chinese used swear words very inappropriately in English conversation. They could never quite get it right, no matter how good their general English. My advice was never to use.
    Also, foreigners would invent and use Mandarin equivalents...gan ni gan tou...f you f head.
    Apparently French Quebecois swear based on objects or concepts in a Catholic Church: so tabernac, câlice, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity
    edited December 2018
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

I remember Patten being labelled 'a lame duck and the triple violator rampant', and a number of variations on whore, while Governor of Hong Kong, so the Chinese cannot be exactly innocent of sexual insults.
  • viewcode said:

OhGodOhGodOhGod:

They've given a ferry contract to a company with no ships.

The CEO declined to give details on which ships it planned to use for the service, saying the information was commercially sensitive, but said they planned to start operations with two ships.

Some people are going to make an absolute stack out of Brexit panic... :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46714984

And not just "some" people, politically connected people.
    viewcode said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Apparently French Quebecois swear based on objects or concepts in a Catholic Church: so tabernac, câlice, etc.

Zounds !

edited December 2018
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

I remember Patten being labelled 'a lame duck and the triple violator rampant', and a number of variations on whore, while Governor of Hong Kong, so the Chinese cannot be exactly innocent of sexual insults.
    Indeed. But they are rather more flowery as per your example. Not exactly what you would scream in existential rage at an errant driver.
    Interesting is "xiaojie." Literally little big sister. In Taiwan, what you would refer to as "Miss". Used politely for waitresses, shop workers or any young female of uncertain marital status. Mademoiselle in French if you will. Entirely the normal way to refer to a young lady.
    Since the PRC, it has come to mean prostitute on the mainland, as a class based term.
    Needless to say, my first visit to a Mainland restaurant did not go well.
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Zounds !

What the Dickens do you mean? :)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    This was far more interesting to discover this twitter account. Whoever is behind it is, is doing a proper number of Corbynistas via their own words and actions.

https://twitter.com/francesbarber13/status/1079535103288713217
  • Magic Grandpa never tells any porkies does he...

https://twitter.com/TimesCorbyn/status/1076930475497832454
  • This is the encouraging thing about Brexit and Trump, instead of the EU unravelling or the whole world sinking into 1930s-style protectionism everyone's just routed around the damaged countries and carried on. And the US-free CPTPP is a much better treaty than the original TPP, because they took out the stuff the American wanted about expanding statutory monopolies.

This was far more interesting to discover this twitter account. Whoever is behind it is, is doing a proper number of Corbynistas via their own words and actions.
    This on the Spiked crew is also interesting.

https://medium.com/@JRogan3000/spiked-online-ireland-and-brexit-767562a2fcc7

This on the Spiked crew is also interesting.

https://medium.com/@JRogan3000/spiked-online-ireland-and-brexit-767562a2fcc7
    Young left-wing bourgeois revolutionary wannabes become old wealthy bourgeois reactionaries. None of those fuckers can boil an egg, put a hammer to a nail or carry a vase across a room.
    Excellent! Do we get kaiju and jaegers as well?

edited December 2018
    The TL:DR version. Politicians are bad, the media are worse, we are fucked.

Yup, seems about right.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    viewcode said:

The TL:DR version. Politicians are bad, the media are worse, we are fucked.

Yup, seems about right.
    Almost everyone in UK politics is both much stupider and more stubborn than the entire commentariat was prepared to admit.

We're going to pay a heavy price for pretending that our politicians knew what they were doing.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    This thread is now OLD
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    edited December 2018
This discussion has been closed.