Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trying to work out what is Britain’s European Strategy

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    Surely the lorries are full of Farage's Euro-parliamentary expenses. No doubt in gold rather than sterling.
  • Options
    I call bullshit.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I assume this is nonsense. Just someone to start a chain tweet.
    Indeed. I'm surprised OGH fell for it. These sorts of hoaxes are regular.

Guidelines rule out autoticketing for 72mph or court summonses let alone "instant bans" at 90mph.

Pretty sure an "instant ban and possible court summons" is an impossibility too. Only a court can issue a ban I believe.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Government has accepted the Cooper amendment to the finance bill. Government all but certain to lose the vote; effectively depriving the government of supply in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

I am quite pleased and suspect TM will be content with that decision
    No smoke without fire and all that, and the smoke that's rising is that May has already decided to seek an Article 50 extension when the meaningful vote dies.

The big unknown is how the Council will respond? They're very unlikely to grant us an extension if we're just gonna end up back here in three months, six months, whatever.

May will need to put something significant offer on the table to get the extension.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Mr. Smithson, is the speed limit there 70?

If it is, auto-ticketing at 72mph seems rather harsh.

It's been doing the rounds for a year or more with the same wording. There's some truth to it, which is that in some cases the speed cameras in variable speed limit sections are only switched on when VSL is in force, and have over time been changed to trigger even when no VSL (i.e. 70mph limit applying). Generally thought to trigger at >80mph though.

The other points seem out of line with normal policy and as far as I know aren't backed up by current guidance issued to magistrates etc.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I assume this is nonsense. Just someone to start a chain tweet.
    Very sensible traffic control. The A9 in Scotland is festooned with cameras and the speeds have dropped and from being deadly it is now much safer
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    guess they better change their own rules then
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,416

Interesting thread. For my money, we could do far worse then remembering Palmerston's dictum that Richard paraphrased. If memory serves, the actual quote also said 'and no perpetual enemies', which is as worth remembering as not having any permanent allies. This statement, though it was made during a time of greater influence, actually still holds true, perhaps even more, when we're not the biggest fish in the pond.

Given his opposition to Irish independence, he might be shocked by the recent reversal of fortunes.
    I think he'd be quite apalled by a great many things, this was a man who could hold the floor of the Commons for 3 hours. He would see decline in every area. I wouldn't see him being shocked though, he was essentially a pragmatist. He did pick fights, but only very winnable ones. In terms of power, Britain was already passed its peak in his time.
  • Options

Government has accepted the Cooper amendment to the finance bill. Government all but certain to lose the vote; effectively depriving the government of supply in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

No smoke without fire and all that, and the smoke that's rising is that May has already decided to seek an Article 50 extension when the meaningful vote dies.

The big unknown is how the Council will respond? They're very unlikely to grant us an extension if we're just gonna end up back here in three months, six months, whatever.

May will need to put something significant offer on the table to get the extension.
    Maybe but you do tend to make definitive statement when IMHO may be prudent
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    So together we all agree no hard border...and will then require a hard border because we cannot accept their demands (well I can, but the Commons won't).

I hope we're getting closer to everyone just admitting it is no deal or remain at least, and that the actions of the various parties only really make sense if that has been the goal all along.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,776
    Anazina said:

Omnium said:

RobD said:

I see La Soubry is milking her mobbing to the utmost

What a nasty comment. Just shows how being pro-Brexit makes you potty.
    Curious why this is getting so much attention when it happens at every single Tory Party Conference without fuss.
    Duh, that's because Tories are scum, and deserve to be spat on. :p
    Why would you have even thought this, let alone posted this?

Tories are entirely like you, just people. I'd suggest you try not to spit at anyone - it's undignified for you and them, but mainly for you.

(Any nasty pains you may get in your extremities or any sudden limb loss are nothing to do with any Tory voodoo - that's officially denied!)
    I think he was trying – and failing – to be hilariously sarcastic.

We all have our off days.
    Yeah I imagined that was the case, but nonetheless it seems not-PB-worthy.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

kjh said:

RobD said:

What a nasty comment. Just shows how being pro-Brexit makes you potty.
    Curious why this is getting so much attention when it happens at every single Tory Party Conference without fuss.
    Duh, that's because Tories are scum, and deserve to be spat on. :p
    Whereas Tory MP Soubry is ... ?

I'd be amazed if this is the first time Soubry has been called a name by a protestor.
    If you do a bit of a search of the internet there are some pretty ugly scenes from this crowd. I did a search via a post on here much earlier that took me to a twitter account with video of a black man being seriously harassed by the same people. A posting on that account identified a number of the individuals. I looked up one of them and he was a member of Britain First and the picture clearly showed it was the same person. I think it is fair to say their treatment of Soubry was (for them) the mild end of their behaviour. We are not at the name calling level, although I find it bizarre they called her a fascist.
    I don't doubt these protestors are deplorable as are there actions and being subject to them is upsetting. Those who act like this and encourage this are inexcusable.

What makes me get a wry smile is why when similar or identical actions are orchestrated or encouraged by the likes of John McDonnell or Owen Jones then the victims are Tory scum who deserved it, but when the same actions are done by Britain First scum then action must be taken.

Whether orchestrated by Owen Jones/John McDonnell or Britain First this behaviour is disgusting. I'd like to see as much uproar next time the far left act like this.
    Hi Philip - My comment wasn't in response to you (although my actions on tacking it to your post implies otherwise - sorry. I should have done a fresh post). It was a general point of highlighting that these aren't the run of the mill abusive demonstrators. Re the comparisons I agree incitement is unacceptable regardless of right and left, although Britain First go way, way past that point.

Re J McD I find what he sometimes says unacceptable particularly the hanging bit. Don't know what OJ has said. It is all unacceptable but there are degrees.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,606

Barnesian said:

Probability of UK leaving EU on 29 March is now down to 36% on Betfair.
    Brexit is sliding away.
    Not surprisingly. Immediately after losing the Meaningful Vote is now clear that May will seek to extend Article 50 for a "pause for reflection" in the UK.

Brexiteers are going to lose their fucking minds, it's gonna be amazing.
    That would be the same May who ended her Marr interview on Sunday by stating that we would be leaving on 29 March.

Her word is her bond. My arse.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

But the probability of No Brexit at all is still down at 27%.

I think what is gaining traction (betting wise) is that some sort of deal is ratified but too late to be implemented by 29/3. So a short extension is requested and granted.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

As I have been saying, no deal isn't going to happen. Extension or Revocation is more likely.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.
    Not surprisingly. Immediately after losing the Meaningful Vote is now clear that May will seek to extend Article 50 for a "pause for reflection" in the UK.

That latter is rather a tardy observation.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    edited January 2019
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

I think what is gaining traction (betting wise) is that some sort of deal is ratified but too late to be implemented by 29/3. So a short extension is requested and granted.
    I expect sometime in the next few weeks ERG will see Brexit slipping away and will have a decision to make. Accept TM WDA or lose Brexit for a very long time
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Whilst I agree with the thrust of Ms Cyclefree's article, I don't think her initial paragraph is right. There was no way that the UK could have joined at the start. Quite apart from anything else, in 1958 (two years before Macmillan's landmark 'winds of change' speech) we didn't have imperial pretensions, we had imperial possessions and a huge network of imperial and ex-imperial links. The whole nation was oriented in trade and outlook across the seas, something which persisted into the mid-sixties (I'm just old enough to remember it!). It would have been impossible to put ourselves into the heart of the new continental European project in 1958, let alone in 1952 when the project really started with the European Coal and Steel Community.

Hmm - France still had imperial possessions in 1952. It didn't stop them. Also, if we had joined while still having those possessions, maybe the sort of European organisation that was created might have been different in a way which might well have suited Britain better.

I think, rather, the fact of still having imperial possessions and all those links meant that we thought that, the messy business of stopping Germany making a nuisance of themselves again having been completed, we could revert to what we thought of as our proper place in the world, as an imperial power. We failed to realise - even though it had been obvious for a while - that the Empire was on its way out, that we needed to find a new role and that intervening in European affairs militarily, as needed - and as Britain had been doing for a couple of centuries - was no longer a sustainable way forward.

In short, it was precisely because we did not think about the future and what it might mean for us as a country that we stood back when others were forced to do some hard thinking about what sort of Europe there should be. We are making the same mistake now. The geopolitics are very different and alarming. But that is the subject of my next headers. So you will have to wait. :)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As I have been saying, no deal isn't going to happen. Extension or Revocation is more likely.
    Indications are all pointing to only two options, TM WDA or revoke/referendum
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Someone asked me today in the light of the Anna Soubry incident "Why are extreme right wingers all Brexiteers and why are they so nasty?" As I thought about what seemed like a very naive question i realised there was no answer. I could have said there are just a lot of cu"ts around but it wouldn't have been adequate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So together we all agree no hard border...and will then require a hard border because we cannot accept their demands (well I can, but the Commons won't).

I hope we're getting closer to everyone just admitting it is no deal or remain at least, and that the actions of the various parties only really make sense if that has been the goal all along.
    If NI and Ireland are two countries then the idea that you can say 'no hard border' is nonsense. That's what being two countries is all about! The politicians in Ireland (all of it) really need to grow up. I will say that I think that the DUP are actually acting in a grown up fashion - which to honest boggles my bogglable bits.

The Good Friday agreement should not obstruct Brexit.
  • Options

On topic, Brexit has always been about what Leavers didn't want. There is no coherence about what they want, which is why it is has coalesced into a miasma of nihilism.

True enough. Too much push. Not enough pull.

But the Remainers, too, have not had much of a strategy either, one reason possibly that they failed to communicate a positive case for it. After all, if you don't know what you are selling, it's hard to be convincing when selling it.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Except No Deal is only viable if the UK intends never to have any arrangement with the EU, ever, on anything at all. Which just isn't viable. Otherwise the UK is in the absurdly weak position of needing the EU to agree stuff on their whim, which they can switch off at any time of their choosing.

If you eliminate May's Deal and No Deal is unviable, you are left with Remain as the only option.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

And you are rather a fuckwit but don't let that stop you.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

To the 22nd May..the day before the Euro elections
  • Options
    stodge said:

Whilst I agree with the thrust of Ms Cyclefree's article, I don't think her initial paragraph is right. There was no way that the UK could have joined at the start. Quite apart from anything else, in 1958 (two years before Macmillan's landmark 'winds of change' speech) we didn't have imperial pretensions, we had imperial possessions and a huge network of imperial and ex-imperial links. The whole nation was oriented in trade and outlook across the seas, something which persisted into the mid-sixties (I'm just old enough to remember it!). It would have been impossible to put ourselves into the heart of the new continental European project in 1958, let alone in 1952 when the project really started with the European Coal and Steel Community.

Two thoughts occur when reading this. First, we maintained a significant military presence in Europe as part of NATO through the BAOR in West Germany. We had signed up to NATO and the principle of collective defence against the Warsaw Pact.

The second aspect was the psychological impact of Suez - militarily successful but in the end the economic power of the US and the UK's own financial weakness told. For all the power we thought we had, in the financial wargame we were very weak and Washington knew it and used money as a weapon.

The reality of life after Suez was we could no longer afford to be a global power and if we tried we could only do so with Washington's acquiescence. Going in economically with a recovering western Europe made sense then but while it was the financially right thing to do it wasn't a step the country found easy to make politically or culturally.

We had never been defeated, we had never been conquered, we had never seen enemy troops in our streets (apart from the Channel Islands) and we had never been humiliated. Suez was the worst national experience since the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown in 1783.
    Agree with this.

We went into the EU because we felt we had to. Not because we really wanted to. And that ambivalence has bedevilled much of the relationship since.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Hmm - France still had imperial possessions in 1952. It didn't stop them. Also, if we had joined while still having those possessions, maybe the sort of European organisation that was created might have been different in a way which might well have suited Britain better.

I think, rather, the fact of still having imperial possessions and all those links meant that we thought that, the messy business of stopping Germany making a nuisance of themselves again having been completed, we could revert to what we thought of as our proper place in the world, as an imperial power. We failed to realise - even though it had been obvious for a while - that the Empire was on its way out, that we needed to find a new role and that intervening in European affairs militarily, as needed - and as Britain had been doing for a couple of centuries - was no longer a sustainable way forward.

In short, it was precisely because we did not think about the future and what it might mean for us as a country that we stood back when others were forced to do some hard thinking about what sort of Europe there should be. We are making the same mistake now. The geopolitics are very different and alarming. But that is the subject of my next headers. So you will have to wait. :)
    You don't mention that it was advocated by the Liberal Party of the time.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Heathrow closed due to possible drone sighting apparently. Lol.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    The question is "How does Mutti define a hard border?"
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    Roger said:

Someone asked me today in the light of the Anna Soubry incident "Why are extreme right wingers all Brexiteers and why are they so nasty?" As I thought about what seemed like a very naive question i realised there was no answer. I could have said there are just a lot of cu"ts around but it wouldn't have been adequate.

I think the key element of that is "extreme". Extreme left-wingers are often Brexiteers, and extreme anyones are quite often nasty, as they prioritise whatever they see as so crucially important that it has pushed them to an extreme as far more important than, you know, people.

Extreme either-siders can often require isolationism as part of their credo; Brexit would be a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for that. It also shouldn't be used to paint all Leave/Brexiteer types as either isolationist or extremist or nasty. There is a case that the Brexit vote has emboldened the isolationist/extremist/xenophobic types, though.

It also overlooks that I've seen a whole bunch of rather nasty people on the other side of the debate, including some very fervent FBPE-types.

This isn't to be a "whatabout..." post or a "let's look at both sides" post, but to emphasise that this sort of framing of the issue tends to emotively reach for a over-simplistic answer to an issue ("It's because they're Brexiteers and Brexiteers are baddies"). It's akin to the "Remainers are traitors" stance that's poisoned discussion from the other end.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Gate, I thought Heathrow had anti-drone tech?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

I expect sometime in the next few weeks ERG will see Brexit slipping away and will have a decision to make. Accept TM WDA or lose Brexit for a very long time

That could well be.

I used to think that, then recently I changed my mind and more got to thinking that the No Deal was no bluff - that if she really could not get her deal passed then she would opt for that as being less bad (for her and her party) than reneging on the 2016 referendum.

At this current point in time, right here and now as we speak, I don't know what I think.

I'm not sure I even know what I want.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

As I recall it was comments like that which led you, sensibly, to take a break from PB a while back.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Listening to a r4 on S Africa. For all our Brexit woes were in a damn sight better place than them
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

just a guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall
  • Options

Roger said:

I think the key element of that is "extreme". Extreme left-wingers are often Brexiteers, and extreme anyones are quite often nasty, as they prioritise whatever they see as so crucially important that it has pushed them to an extreme as far more important than, you know, people.

Extreme either-siders can often require isolationism as part of their credo; Brexit would be a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for that. It also shouldn't be used to paint all Leave/Brexiteer types as either isolationist or extremist or nasty. There is a case that the Brexit vote has emboldened the isolationist/extremist/xenophobic types, though.

It also overlooks that I've seen a whole bunch of rather nasty people on the other side of the debate, including some very fervent FBPE-types.

This isn't to be a "whatabout..." post or a "let's look at both sides" post, but to emphasise that this sort of framing of the issue tends to emotively reach for a over-simplistic answer to an issue ("It's because they're Brexiteers and Brexiteers are baddies"). It's akin to the "Remainers are traitors" stance that's poisoned discussion from the other end.
    Don't forget that it's also a media and social media portrayal of reality. Those that the political class has deemed extreme (whose views are deemed a challenge to acceptable norms) must be portrayed as ghastly borderline insane people as a warning to the others. Not saying that there aren't real people happy to fill the role, but if they did not exist, they would have to be invented.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Letwin: "this is only the 2nd time I have ever voted against the conservative whip".
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

As I recall it was comments like that which led you, sensibly, to take a break from PB a while back.
    Given your comment above, I'm not sure you're on very firm ground here.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

If NI and Ireland are two countries then the idea that you can say 'no hard border' is nonsense. That's what being two countries is all about! The politicians in Ireland (all of it) really need to grow up. I will say that I think that the DUP are actually acting in a grown up fashion - which to honest boggles my bogglable bits.

You're missing the point that almost half of people in NI don't think NI are two countries and ignore the border as much as they can, including almost everyone who lives near the border.

You could say why should we care on the mainland about the Northern Irish? Brexit is FAR more important. I wouldn't say that is especially "grown up" however.
  • Options

Mr. Gate, I thought Heathrow had anti-drone tech?

🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

Two thoughts occur when reading this. First, we maintained a significant military presence in Europe as part of NATO through the BAOR in West Germany. We had signed up to NATO and the principle of collective defence against the Warsaw Pact.

The second aspect was the psychological impact of Suez - militarily successful but in the end the economic power of the US and the UK's own financial weakness told. For all the power we thought we had, in the financial wargame we were very weak and Washington knew it and used money as a weapon.

The reality of life after Suez was we could no longer afford to be a global power and if we tried we could only do so with Washington's acquiescence. Going in economically with a recovering western Europe made sense then but while it was the financially right thing to do it wasn't a step the country found easy to make politically or culturally.

We had never been defeated, we had never been conquered, we had never seen enemy troops in our streets (apart from the Channel Islands) and we had never been humiliated. Suez was the worst national experience since the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown in 1783.
    Agree with this.

We went into the EU because we felt we had to. Not because we really wanted to. And that ambivalence has bedevilled much of the relationship since.
    And it didn't work. The economy didn't pick up till Thatcher. And those reforms we could have done without the EEC.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    edited January 2019
    kinabalu said:

That could well be.

I used to think that, then recently I changed my mind and more got to thinking that the No Deal was no bluff - that if she really could not get her deal passed then she would opt for that as being less bad (for her and her party) than reneging on the 2016 referendum.

At this current point in time, right here and now as we speak, I don't know what I think.

TM whole aim has been to agree a Brexit that respects the vote but protects business and she achieves this in her WDA

I cannot think for one minute that TM will be a party to no deal but of course tactically she needs to let the HOC obstruct no deal, as has happened somewhat today, and in turn it moves Brexit to her deal or no Brexit without compromising her position

And as has been said that if no deal does happen TM can point to Yvette Cooper and others preventing her no deal planning

I do believe TM has reason to be quietly quite pleased today
  • Options
    Top speech from Letwin against No Deal disruption and chaos.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Letwin: "this is only the 2nd time I have ever voted against the conservative whip".

Oliver Letwin was very impressive just now!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

I suggest there is a difference between generic comments about leavers or remainers - which are common on the site - and us throwing personal abuse at each other, which does nothing to improve th site.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

FFS.

Or as Peter Hitchens would say more politely

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2018/12/britains-so-soppy-we-cant-even-fight-off-a-toy-helicopter.html
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Brexit is sliding away.

I suggest there is a difference between generic comments about leavers or remainers - which are common on the site - and us throwing personal abuse at each other, which does nothing to improve th site.
    Personally I don't see the distinction. If you want the debate to be less toxic, be less toxic.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

Agree with this.

And it didn't work. The economy didn't pick up till Thatcher. And those reforms we could have done without the EEC.
    We hadn't fully transitioned into the EEC until Thatcher, and the political effect of membership was to rule out the Bennite alternative programme of retreating behind economic walls.

It's a huge blindspot of Eurosceptics to bemoan its political nature but ignore the political consequences that flow from that.
  • Options
    Then we have no choice but to remain if the deal is voted down.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Or extend, and keep talking to EU.

Which is more likely to be the May way than a 2nd vote.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Great!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I didn't know that. Thank you.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Exactly
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Perhaps the "extension" playbook is to carry on "leaving the EU" indefinitely until nobody cares anymore and then we can officially revoke.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kle4 said:

Works for me ;)
  • Options
    It is good news for TM deal and I expect she is pleased by this development
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Remove the whip from Letwin and co and call a General Election.

Voting against on a finance bill ought to be a deselection issue.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584
    Cyclefree said:

On topic, Brexit has always been about what Leavers didn't want. There is no coherence about what they want, which is why it is has coalesced into a miasma of nihilism.

But the Remainers, too, have not had much of a strategy either, one reason possibly that they failed to communicate a positive case for it. After all, if you don't know what you are selling, it's hard to be convincing when selling it.
    Well Cameron’s deal was an embryonic form of one, however grievously mis-sold and mistimed.

I actually think he was right - the idea of the UK at the centre of a fully integrated European state is as fanciful as the Singapore in the North Sea dream of the stranger ERgers. We had allies for the proposition of a looser periphery, and the balance of argument was beginning to shift in our favour; that is unfortunately in the past, probably.

• Options
    So, what's the betting Jezza doesn't turn up for this amendment vote, and it is lost by 1?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Roger said:

Prefixes like 'far' and 'extreme' often aren't that helpful because they denote a lot of variations on 'moderate' versions of left and right wing. I guess that extreme right wingers are either very nativist/protectionist/authoritarian which obviously means resisting any external 'interference' such as membership of the EU; or extreme economic liberals, which would mean seeing the EU's regulatory and social agenda as unacceptable. So being Brexiters makes sense.

As to 'why are they all nasty' - well, they might be, but really we're seeing the attention-seeking nasty ones, which doesn't tell us whether or not there are lots of nice ones who aren't busy harassing MPs.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

You're missing the point that almost half of people in NI don't think NI are two countries and ignore the border as much as they can, including almost everyone who lives near the border.

You could say why should we care on the mainland about the Northern Irish? Brexit is FAR more important. I wouldn't say that is especially "grown up" however.
    I see why you might think that, but I'm very much not missing the point in that. The NI want to be distinct, but part of a bigger whole. The Irish (S) people want to be distinct. The GF agreement said that aspects of their existence should be aligned. Unfortunately the GF agreement wasn't a constraint on everyone else in the UK. We choose to dis-align with Ireland, and we can certainly choose to do so.

(Any use of 'grown up' could be replaced by 'big picture' or 'overview' or something)
  • Options

kle4 said:

I presume when the amendment is carried (or accepted), they will be voting in favour.
  • Options
    It all looks like a waste of time to me. Whining about how bad no deal is is not enough on its own, presumably they know that.

I truly, truly hope the Tories split very soon. It is for their own good, since they are made up of people who cannot countenance no deal (some of whom may even vote down the government if it tries it, and they should) and a very large group for whom no deal is everything they've ever wanted. That's a difference beyond the bounds of reasonable differences within a party, you cannot talk so approvingly or in horror respectively about no deal and then pretend you can all just get along once this issue is settled. It's pathetic.
  • Options

kle4 said:

May can't call a GE. That right was taken away by Osborne in a fit of stupidity.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited January 2019
    Rather than the second worst posr-war strategic mistake of any British government not being to join the EEC in 1958 I in fact would argue it was leaving EFTA which we joined in 1960 for the EEC in 1973.

Our place in Europe was always going to be one mainly based on trade along with fellow EFTA nations like Norway and Switzerland not joining the Euro and moving towards a Federal Europe like the key EU states of France and Germany and Italy and the Benelux nations who were the founder movers of the EEC
  • Options

So, what's the betting Jezza doesn't turn up for this amendment vote, and it is lost by 1?

Is the government opposing this motion or what? There has been conflicting information.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    While I deplore the individual and his actions, I find it deeply disturbing that intermediaries such as paypal get to decide who or what people get to spend their money on.

I know Paypal is a private company, but when they are effectively able to deplatform individuals whose views they disagree with it is a disturbing trend.

And why stop there? If Visa was taken over by a fervent prohibitionist, should they be able to cancel my credit card if I buy alcohol with it? I don't care to have my spending policed.

Long term crypto is the only way forward.
  • Options

Is the government opposing this motion or what? There has been conflicting information.
    Sky reporting it is and thinks it may just win
  • Options

Yes, we could soon see a situation where at least some ultra Brexiteers accept that they could throw the whole thing away here.

May needs to start whispers that she might call a 2nd Ref vote.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

While I deplore the individual and his actions, I find it deeply disturbing that intermediaries such as paypal get to decide who or what people get to spend their money on.

I know Paypal is a private company, but when they are effectively able to deplatform individuals whose views they disagree with it is a disturbing trend.

And why stop there? If Visa was taken over by a fervent prohibitionist, should they be able to cancel my credit card if I buy alcohol with it? I don't care to have my spending policed.

Crypto is a busted flush and is in no way the future. It's just as worthless as fiat currency but at least fiat currency is backed by nation states.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    All people will hear will be "We will not allow BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH Brexit....."

Death of the Tory Party, right there, Oliver.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

The reality of life after Suez was we could no longer afford to be a global power and if we tried we could only do so with Washington's acquiescence.

We hadn't fully transitioned into the EEC until Thatcher, and the political effect of membership was to rule out the Bennite alternative programme of retreating behind economic walls.

It's a huge blindspot of Eurosceptics to bemoan its political nature but ignore the political consequences that flow from that.
    Tony Benn was in opposition. And wasn't leader. Ruling out a totally imagined scenario is hardly cause for rejoicing. But to address your wider point, I would hope I would still be against the EU even if I agreed with them most of the time, because the changes would not be rooted in public consent. And benign dictatorship is benign until it ceases to be benign.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

kinabalu said:

That could well be.

TM whole aim has been to agree a Brexit that respects the vote but protects business and she achieves this in her WDA

I cannot think for one minute that TM will be a party to no deal but of course tactically she needs to let the HOC obstruct no deal, as has happened somewhat today, and in turn it moves Brexit to her deal or no Brexit without compromising her position

And as has been said that if no deal does happen TM can point to Yvette Cooper and others preventing her no deal planning

Perhaps, but it is far from clear that we will not still stumble into a no deal Brexit through badly calculated bluffs from both May and Corbyn.

With sufficient time, a cross party coalition of the centre might have developed to ensure no deal would not happen, but given the constraints of time, parliamentary numbers, and government control of the legislative process, it is on a wing and a prayer.

• Options

Yes, we could soon see a situation where at least some ultra Brexiteers accept that they could throw the whole thing away here.

May needs to start whispers that she might call a 2nd Ref vote.
    It is happening right now and even at this early stage no deal is on life support, even if the government wins the vote at 7.00pm leaving TM WDA or remain
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

It all looks like a waste of time to me. Whining about how bad no deal is is not enough on its own, presumably they know that.

I truly, truly hope the Tories split very soon. It is for their own good, since they are made up of people who cannot countenance no deal (some of whom may even vote down the government if it tries it, and they should) and a very large group for whom no deal is everything they've ever wanted. That's a difference beyond the bounds of reasonable differences within a party, you cannot talk so approvingly or in horror respectively about no deal and then pretend you can all just get along once this issue is settled. It's pathetic.
    If so Labour must surely split soon after, inner city Labour Remainers demanding EUref2 with a Remain option are miles apart from working class Labour Leave voters in old industrial towns
  • Options

kle4 said:

Perhaps the "extension" playbook is to carry on "leaving the EU" indefinitely until nobody cares anymore and then we can officially revoke.
    I don't object to people thinking we should remain if parliament rejects any form of deal, but I do think a lot of the no deal whiners are deliberately ignoring that is the inevitable end state of their actions. It also undermines the argument for a referendum considerably, since no deal is apparently unacceptable, and they are going to reject the deal that is on offer as unacceptable, outcomes so bad that surely they cannot risk letting the public approve them.

If no deal and the deal are both unacceptable to parliament, there is no need or point to involving the public again, and I hope they are brave enough to say so when the deal is voted down. A referendum at that point is pointless.
  • Options

That is both rather true by definition and also meaningless. Brexit is by definition simply exiting the EU. It is a negative. Why people want to exit though may be completely different things.

Philosophically if you compare the EU to the Church of Rome (Catholicism) then lump together all non-Catholics you could also say that there is no coherence about what they want.

Some people are protestant (and they're far from homogenous too), some are Muslim (ditto), some are Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist. Some are athiest and others are simply agnostic.

Just because non-Catholics are not homogenous in what they believe doesn't mean we should take our ecclesiastical beliefs from Rome.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

kyf_100 said:

Crypto is a busted flush and is in no way the future. It's just as worthless as fiat currency but at least fiat currency is backed by nation states.
    Yes, people said that through the last three bust cycles too.

The whole point of crypto is that it *isn't* backed - or controlled - by nation states. That is not a bug, it is a feature.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

If so Labour must surely split soon after, inner city Labour Remainers demanding EUref2 are miles apart from working class Labour Leave voters in old industrial towns
    Problem is whoever splits first probably ensures the other will hold together no matter what, to take advantage.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

That could well be.

Perhaps, but it is far from clear that we will not still stumble into a no deal Brexit through badly calculated bluffs from both May and Corbyn.

With sufficient time, a cross party coalition of the centre might have developed to ensure no deal would not happen, but given the constraints of time, parliamentary numbers, and government control of the legislative process, it is on a wing and a prayer.

Well, I certainly don't trust Corbyn on this. At least some of his aides welcome the chaos of no deal as they believe it will usher in the socialist paradise they seek. It's another form of unicorn hunting to be honest.
  • Options

The Belfast Wall?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes, people said that through the last three bust cycles too.

The whole point of crypto is that it *isn't* backed - or controlled - by nation states. That is not a bug, it is a feature.
    It's a bug as far as I'm concerned. Nation states are on the whole democratic, crypto is essentially controlled by those early adopters who hoard it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

Except that they can't split, because the electoral system encourages broad church political parties - otherwise known as miserable marriages of convenience.

If we had PR then the Tories wouldn't even be the first party to collapse - they'd be knocked over and trampled by stampeding Labourites rushing towards the solicitors' offices.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

All people will hear will be "We will not allow BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH Brexit....."

Death of the Tory Party, right there, Oliver.
    He did his best with the Poll Tax.

Second time lucky? ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,606

Continent cut off.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

If so Labour must surely split soon after, inner city Labour Remainers demanding EUref2 are miles apart from working class Labour Leave voters in old industrial towns
    Problem is whoever splits first probably ensures the other will hold together no matter what, to take advantage.
    Not necessarily, especially if a new centre party emerges for Labour and Tory Remainers free of Labour Corbynistas and Tory No Dealers
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Has anyone checked whether Vince is at a secret dinner party?
  • Options

That is both rather true by definition and also meaningless. Brexit is by definition simply exiting the EU. It is a negative. Why people want to exit though may be completely different things.

Philosophically if you compare the EU to the Church of Rome (Catholicism) then lump together all non-Catholics you could also say that there is no coherence about what they want.

Some people are protestant (and they're far from homogenous too), some are Muslim (ditto), some are Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist. Some are athiest and others are simply agnostic.

Just because non-Catholics are not homogenous in what they believe doesn't mean we should take our ecclesiastical beliefs from Rome.
    Good analogy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I think Labour will split regardless as if we leave the EU, the membership will force rejoin into future manifesto or support a different party entirely.

I think the only way Labour could hold together their left coalition after Brexit, and by not promising rejoin, is by promising PR followed by another election.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

They aren’t policing anyone’s expenditure. They are policing political fundraising using their infrastructure, which is a quite different thing.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I didn't know that. Thank you.
    In 1950 the Liberals pushed for membership of the Coal and Steel community at its foundation, but the Labour government flatly refused to consider it. Back then Labour was the more anti-European party.
  • Options

Tony Benn was in opposition. And wasn't leader. Ruling out a totally imagined scenario is hardly cause for rejoicing. But to address your wider point, I would hope I would still be against the EU even if I agreed with them most of the time, because the changes would not be rooted in public consent. And benign dictatorship is benign until it ceases to be benign.
    It's not a question of being under a benign dictatorship but of structural effects anchoring domestic politics. It's the line between the constitutional and the political.
  • Options
    Sir Oliver Letwin - “we will not allow a No Deal exit at the end of March” and this amendment shows the Government... “for 5 years I was in charge of the resilience of this country...preparation for no Deal wasn’t done... we can not impose on our country a risk of severe impacts”

Which 5 years? Brexit hasn't been happening for 5 years. And that sounds like gross incompetence on his own part.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Well Cameron’s deal was an embryonic form of one, however grievously mis-sold and mistimed.

I actually think he was right - the idea of the UK at the centre of a fully integrated European state is as fanciful as the Singapore in the North Sea dream of the stranger ERgers. We had allies for the proposition of a looser periphery, and the balance of argument was beginning to shift in our favour; that is unfortunately in the past, probably.

Yes, it was - or had the potential to be. I think one of its faults was that it was sold to the rest of the EU as a special favour to Britain rather than as part of a more strategic longer-term thinking about how the EU could develop with a eurozone and countries outside it. There didn't seem to be anything in it for the other 27.

Ditto re FOM. There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times this week about depopulation in Latvia and concerns they - and other Eastern European countries - have about what FOM means for them and their futures. (Our very own @Stodge has raised the same issues on here in the past.) They want this looked at but it is unlikely to be now once Britain is out.

Of course in Britain Cameron's deal was presented as something which largely benefited the financial sector and had absolutely nothing in it for, say, people in Chorley. It was too quick, too short-term and, to my mind, lacked any long-term strategy to it.

We cannot keep on just making it up as we go along.
This discussion has been closed.