Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trying to work out what is Britain’s European Strategy

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

I wonder if the vote to revoke A50 will be that close.
    Who is going to propose it. Tonights vote was almost certainly won by Olicer Letwin's passion against no deal and is the first really important vote to send a message to brexiteers.

TM WDA or remain through a referendum are increasingly the only two options

Ironically I am relaxed about either though I think a referendum would be horribly divisive
    As I said it changes nothing. It is like voting against gravity.
    Gravity cannot be unilaterally revoked.
    Nothing they have done makes revocation more likely. It just makes the consequences of NO Deal more difficult to deal with. And gives us someone different to blame for that.
    Your second sentence is why the first is not true.
  • Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

There won't be a vote. The government has the authority to do it unilaterally.
    No - The ruling stated it has to be done with Parliamentary approval
    If you're referring to the Gina Miller case, it doesn't apply to revocation as citizens lose no rights.
    Nope. It is a law passed by Parliament. It cannot be set aside other than by another vote by Parliament. Of course we do have Ms Miller to thank for that for insisting (quite rightly) that Parliament should be involved in the decision.

It is amusing now to see all those screaming that Parliament should be the ones making the decision, now claiming they should not be involved in the reversal of that decision.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    This government is starting to make a habit of losing votes
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    There's no majority for no deal, but noone wants May's deal. Which leaves either fantasy unicorn alternative deal, or remain.
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

If you're referring to the Gina Miller case, it doesn't apply to revocation as citizens lose no rights.
    No - it was the ECJ ruling
    The ECJ didn't say revocation needed parliamentary approval.
    Whether it does or not would probably require a legal case.
  • Jonathan said:

Isn’t the finance bill about next years money? Ie after Brexit?

Yes. Starting in April.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Danny565 said:

Can anyone explain to me how a 2nd referendum is going to pass through the Commons, when even blocking 'No Deal' only gets a majority of 7, despite Corbyn's support?

If Tory MPs are not willing to even vote against the most extreme version of Brexit, I really can't see how they're going to vote to block Brexit altogether.

May is also.highly unlikely to propose any referendum with a Remain option, so it would require enough Remainers and No Dealers to join Dealers in voting for a Leave with the Deal v Leave with No Deal referendum
  • Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

It needs constitutional approval. ie - a vote in the HOC
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited January 2019

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Brilliant - So we're still moving remorselessly to No Deal as that's the default option of A50 but now MP's have ensured that if it happens the government will be unable to spend any money?

What a total waste of space the Conservative Party is.

Didn't know Yvette Cooper was a member of the Conservative Party.
    Well clearly it's Conservative Remainer MP's that have made the difference.
    And those with sense to stop no deal
    "No Deal" can't be stopped in that sense as it's a default end point of A50.

You can stop Brexit by revoking A50, having another referendum and so on and then you stop No Deal but otherwise...

Basically all these MP's now throwing their toys out of the pram about No Deal voted for No Deal when they voted to invoke A50.

All they've achieved with this vote is is to make life for the government even harder if it is No Deal and make the country look even more foolish as it seems we've got a majority of MP's that are so stupid they didn't know what the end result of A50 could be when they chose to invoke it.
    Anazina said:

This government is starting to make a habit of losing votes

It won't last another 6 months. Humpty Dumpty is not being put back togehter.

There's no majority for no deal, but noone wants May's deal. Which leaves either fantasy unicorn alternative deal, or remain.

There'll be another month at least of frantic activity and shouting as the various unicorn backers battle it out, and then we remain. Unless the EU grant an extension for a referendum of Deal or Remain (since parliament clearly would not pass no deal), but that would be a spit in the face at this point.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Who is going to propose it. Tonights vote was almost certainly won by Olicer Letwin's passion against no deal and is the first really important vote to send a message to brexiteers.

Ironically I am relaxed about either though I think a referendum would be horribly divisive
    https://youtu.be/3PzY_ro13UE
    edited January 2019
    slade said:

Further to the earlier comment about the R4 programme on the similarities between the present Conservative split on Europe and that in the 1900s on tariff reform, I note that Joe Chamberlain used the phrase 'take back control' in relation to the empire in a system of colonial preference. Nothing new under the sun.

Salisbury won a big Tory victory in 1900 using the patriotism and Empire card and although the Tories lost the subsequent 1906 general election by a landslide they won the popular vote in both 1910 elections albeit the Liberals won more MPs and the Tories won a big majority of MPs in 1918
    Jonathan said:

The opposition whips are doing a cracking job.

Ba-boom Tish!
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

No, it needs to be as per our constitutional requirements. It's within the power of the PM to do that without a vote of Parliament therefore it is not required.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Nothing they have done makes revocation more likely. It just makes the consequences of NO Deal more difficult to deal with. And gives us someone different to blame for that.
    Not at all. It makes revocation less likely since May will be able to blame other MPs for the consequences. It was that nasty Ms Cooper who stopped us taking action to mitigate a hard Brexit!!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Yes. Starting in April.
    So this has no impact on Brexit preparation at all. If we did no deal the government would come asking for money which would be granted. It’s meaningless.
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Brilliant - So we're still moving remorselessly to No Deal as that's the default option of A50 but now MP's have ensured that if it happens the government will be unable to spend any money?

You can stop Brexit by revoking A50, having another referendum and so on and then you stop No Deal but otherwise...

Basically all these MP's now throwing their toys out of the pram voted for No Deal when they voted to invoke A50.

All they've achieved with vote is is to make life for the government even harder if it is No Deal and make the country look even more foolish as it seems we've got a majority of MP's that are so stupid they didn't know what the end result of A50 could be when they chose to invoke it.
    That's certainly very true. The level of anger far exceeds what is reasonable when they should always have known no deal was a risk. Even if they thought that risk was low, that a better PM would have made it very low, it was always a risk and if they could not countenance that then they should not have been so cowardly. It's jumping off the cliff then complaining they were pushed off.
  • GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Basically all these MP's now throwing their toys out of the pram about No Deal voted for No Deal when they voted to invoke A50.

All they've achieved with this vote is is to make life for the government even harder if it is No Deal and make the country look even more foolish as it seems we've got a majority of MP's that are so stupid they didn't know what the end result of A50 could be when they chose to invoke it.
    After today no deal will not happen
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

It's passed because of the Tories being so ridiculously divided. Labour look far more competent in parliamentary terms than the Tories. Corbyn is a terrible leader, but frankly the country cannot do much worse at the present time.
    Be careful. Oskar Von Hindenburg thought that and he proved to be tragically mistaken.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

The government has the constitutional right. The ECJ didn't mention the HOC.
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Can anyone explain to me how a 2nd referendum is going to pass through the Commons, when even blocking 'No Deal' only gets a majority of 7, despite Corbyn's support?

If Tory MPs are not willing to even vote against the most extreme version of Brexit, I really can't see how they're going to vote to block Brexit altogether.

May is also.highly unlikely to propose any referendum with a Remain option, so it would require enough Remainers and No Dealers to join Dealers in voting for a Leave with the Deal v Leave with No Deal referendum
    Or enough remainers/sane MPs amending her referendum bill to include the remain option. Seems more likely.

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

If there were two Tory parties.

National Conservatives led by Boris, following a Brexit/ Thatcherite agenda
    Liberal Conservatives led by Amber Rudd, following a Cameroon agenda

Which would you support? And which would be bigger?

The former would be the biggest easily as it would be the main party of the right, the latter would not be able to challenge for power on its own unless it teamed up with the LDs and centrist Labour MPs. Personally as a Remain voter who likes Boris I could vote for either
    Why do you like Boris.. hopeless as F Sec.. why would he make a good PM.. He is just a clever buffoon.
    Boris is hugely charismatic and very intelligent and a big personality, the kind of PM Britain would need if we leave with No Deal

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Not at all. It makes revocation less likely since May will be able to blame other MPs for the consequences. It was that nasty Ms Cooper who stopped us taking action to mitigate a hard Brexit!!
    No, because with so many Tory MPs on board to do this, it increases the chance there are enough to bring her down even at the cost of their careers, in order to properly stop it.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    Jonathan said:

Yes. Next financial year starts 1 April, or 6 April for income tax.
  • Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

No, it needs to be as per our constitutional requirements. It's within the power of the PM to do that without a vote of Parliament therefore it is not required.
    That will not happen. A vote will take place if revoke is proposed
    edited January 2019
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

The government has the constitutional right. The ECJ didn't mention the HOC.
    You are certain it has that right? The government thought it had the power to invoke, and it did not. Revocation is a different thing, but there would be challenges.

And in any case if there is not a parliamentary majority for it why would any government revoke?
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

No, because with so many Tory MPs on board to do this, it increases the chance there are enough to bring her down even at the cost of their careers, in order to properly stop it.
    They cannot bring her down, May is safe from challenge by Tory MPs until December now post Brexit having won the vote of no confidence last year
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

After today no deal will not happen
    Or...No Deal Brexit carries on in its inexorable way, and some of those voting today will look like idiots as they vote through a package of emergency finance measures to allow the Govt. to cope with a No Deal Brexit....
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yes. Starting in April.
    So this has no impact on Brexit preparation at all. If we did no deal the government would come asking for money which would be granted. It’s meaningless.
    But that clauses deals with spending powers now.
  • Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

No it isn't. The Executive cannot set aside a piece of primary legislation passed by Parliament.

Paragraph 13 of the Supreme Court Ruling in the Miller case stated that a simple motion in Parliament was not sufficient and it required primary legislation before Article 50 could be enacted. As such it will require Parliament to vote to allow revocation.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

They cannot bring her down, May is safe from challenge by Tory MPs until December now post Brexit having won the vote of no confidence last year
    I did not mean as leader of the party, I meant as PM. Brexit, and no deal Brexit, is a matter beyond party politics. They can vote with the opposition to remove her. It is the logical position if they cannot accept no deal and she tried to pivot to it. And given the ERG, she has no choice but to.
  • HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Not true. A simple majority of MPs can change the rule thus allowing a fresh challenge.

That won't happen currently but then there's no majority to oust her currently. If there was a majority in favour of ousting her there would also be a majority in favour of changing the rule.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The former would be the biggest easily as it would be the main party of the right, the latter would not be able to challenge for power on its own unless it teamed up with the LDs and centrist Labour MPs. Personally as a Remain voter who likes Boris I could vote for either
    Why do you like Boris.. hopeless as F Sec.. why would he make a good PM.. He is just a clever buffoon.
    Boris is hugely charismatic and very intelligent and a big personality, the kind of PM Britain would need if we leave with No Deal
    He is a buffoon
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,743
    kle4 said:

Not particularly magnanimous I would think, they have not even provided the salve of helpful language since the WA was agreed. They're now just waiting for us to give in, one way or another, so I don't see how it is in their interest to give even a little more time.

Option 1 I assume will be tried at least once, depending on how the Commons votes on other options, but there's no reason to think the hugeness of the expected defeat can be overcome.

Option 2 could conceivably get support,

Option 3 is what so many clearly think should happen, but there's no way she can do it.

Option 4 will no doubt be tried, being unable to pass anything else but unwilling to quit, at least at first, but given as we've just seen even trying to prepare at this late stage is going to be frustrated I cannot see how that will last. No deal may not be as apocalyptic as the worst predictions, but it doesn't look like it will be good and given the sentiments in the Commons some Tories won't wear it.

Option 5 should have happened a long time ago, but I'm not sure what it solves anymore. She has, at least, run down the clock about as far as you can go, and yet everyone is still just acting like there is all the time in the world for their various solutions.

You don't think an election is on the cards?

Thanks for the response. The only way May goes for an election is if she thinks she can win a majority which will enable her to pass the WA but there's no guarantee any newly-elected Conservative MP will back the WA.

The other option would be if she knew she was going to lose - Corbyn inherits the mess, gets blamed for it and the Conservatives sweep back to power in two or three years. I wouldn't put that past her.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

No it isn't. The Executive cannot set aside a piece of primary legislation passed by Parliament.

Paragraph 13 of the Supreme Court Ruling in the Miller case stated that a simple motion in Parliament was not sufficient and it required primary legislation before Article 50 could be enacted. As such it will require Parliament to vote to allow revocation.
    @Barnesian seems to think otherwise.
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Or enough remainers/sane MPs amending her referendum bill to include the remain option. Seems more likely.
    That needs 326 MPs to be sure, more than even voted against No Deal tonight
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

It makes a referendum amendment to the meaningful vote much more likely to succeed

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    No he is not, as his London Mayoral and EU referendum wins prove
  • Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

He is, with genuine respect, wrong.

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

The finest legal minds in the land can disagree on these matters. Not all the justices agreed parliament needed to approve A50 in the first place. They'd surely need to be asked for certain if it was needed to revoke.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2019

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yes. Starting in April.
    But that clauses deals with spending powers now.
    The bill has not yet passed. How can it impact spending now? And even when eventually it does receive ascent, does it really apply to 18-19 spending already approved ?
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

I did not mean as leader of the party, I meant as PM. Brexit, and no deal Brexit, is a matter beyond party politics. They can vote with the opposition to remove her. It is the logical position if they cannot accept no deal and she tried to pivot to it. And given the ERG, she has no choice but to.
    She cannot be removed as PM without an alternative and no Tory MPs are going to remove her in favour of Corbyn
  • HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Sinn Fein are going to start voting?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    Indeed. But he is a hugely charismatic, very intelligent buffoon with a big personality.

Personally, I think he'd be a disastrous leader of the party, and his time as mayor was not stellar (witness his part in the Garden Bridge debacle).

There is much I like about him. He's an entertainer. But he's not a leader.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Conservative MP's would have to be prepared to (a) give up their careers (b) be willing for Labour to take power (c) trust Corbyn to revoke A50. In the face of a large majority of their own voters who would revile them as turncoats.

Jonathan said:

All money allocated/yet to be allocated by the Cabinet for No Deal Brexit up to 29th March is unaffected.

And as I said, if the Whirlpool of Inevitibility means we No Deal Brexit on 29th March, then the Govt. will propose a package of financial measures to deal with that situation. And all those who showed their proud defiance tonight will meekly troop through the aye lobby.

Nothing. Has. Changed......
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

They cannot bring her down except through a vote of No Confidence in Parliament leading to a GE. Now they might do that but I wouldn't bet any money at all on it.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Not true. A simple majority of MPs can change the rule thus allowing a fresh challenge.

That won't happen currently but then there's no majority to oust her currently. If there was a majority in favour of ousting her there would also be a majority in favour of changing the rule.
    There will be no majority certsinly before Brexit day as Boris would be the likely alternative Tory leader
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Are you expecting an unusually participatory role from Sinn Fein and the Speakers?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    He is a buffoon who would split the party wide open

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    Indeed. But he is a hugely charismatic, very intelligent buffoon with a big personality.

Personally, I think he'd be a disastrous leader of the party, and his time as mayor was not stellar (witness his part in the Garden Bridge debacle).

He is as much a leader as Trump or Berlusconi and they both won
  • Jonathan said:

All money allocated/yet to be allocated by the Cabinet for No Deal Brexit up to 29th March is unaffected.

And as I said, if the Whirlpool of Inevitibility means we No Deal Brexit on 29th March, then the Govt. will propose a package of financial measures to deal with that situation. And all those who showed their proud defiance tonight will meekly troop through the aye lobby.

Moreover if it got really serious I assume they would invoke Labour's horror legislation - the Civil Contingencies Act. A really pernicious piece of legislation that puts vast amounts of power in the hands of the Executive.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

They cannot bring her down except through a vote of No Confidence in Parliament leading to a GE. Now they might do that but I wouldn't bet any money at all on it.
    Or by changing the rules to permit a fresh change. Which requires the same number or votes as winning the challenge requires.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    He leads both this month's Tory members polls, including the non ConHome scientific won from Tim Bale. Corbyn was hardly a unity figure either after he won the membership vote in Labour

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    I happen to think he would be a very effective Leader of the Opposition against a fundamentally unstable Labour-SNP coalition.....
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Conservative MP's would have to be prepared to (a) give up their careers (b) be willing for Labour to take power (c) trust Corbyn to revoke A50. In the face of a large majority of their own voters who would revile them as turncoats.

Yes. That would be very very hard. I do not think more than a handful might. Certainly not all those who voted in the amendment tonight. But if they think no deal is so terrible and yet May insists on doing it, that would be a price they would have to pay for the sake of the country.
    HYUFD said:

She cannot be removed as PM without an alternative and no Tory MPs are going to remove her in favour of Corbyn

I don't agree. Either they cannot accept no deal or they can. If they cannot, and May insists on it, they have only one further choice.

Do they truly believe no deal is unacceptable or are they talking nonsense? If they can accept no deal, having made preparing for it even more difficult, then they should be willing to go further.
  • kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

The finest legal minds in the land can disagree on these matters. Not all the justices agreed parliament needed to approve A50 in the first place. They'd surely need to be asked for certain if it was needed to revoke.
    But this is a much simpler question with centuries of precedent behind it. I can't see any court in the land saying that the Executive can unilaterally revoke primary legislation without Parliamentary approval.

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Who knows if a hard border looms
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    Don't forget he invented the bicycle and the bus too.

I am not sure you can claim the EU referendum result proves his invincibility yet.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    The only patriots left in the Tory party.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Or by changing the rules to permit a fresh change. Which requires the same number or votes as winning the challenge requires.
    But you are talking about 20 MPs who voted today. Where are you going to find the other 137?

Jonathan said:

Moreover if it got really serious I assume they would invoke Labour's horror legislation - the Civil Contingencies Act. A really pernicious piece of legislation that puts vast amounts of power in the hands of the Executive.
    I doubt May would have many qualms about using it.

No Deal Brexit is Brexit.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon

Our poor Country - we deserve better, much better, than those aspirations
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

If they did they would be extra votes for having remain as an option.
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Yes. That would be very very hard. I do not think more than a handful might. Certainly not all those who voted in the amendment tonight. But if they think no deal is so terrible and yet May insists on doing it, that would be a price they would have to pay for the sake of the country.
    HYUFD said:

I don't agree. Either they cannot accept no deal or they can. If they cannot, and May insists on it, they have only one further choice.

Do they truly believe no deal is unacceptable or are they talking nonsense? If they can accept no deal, having made preparing for it even more difficult, then they should be willing to go further.
    They believe No Deal is unacceptable except at the cost of Corbyn.

Albeit on the latest polls if they forced a general election May might win it anyway

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

As part of the 326
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    He leads both this month's Tory members polls, including the non ConHome scientific won from Tim Bale. Corbyn was hardly a unity figure either after he won the membership vote in Labour
    He wont have a party to lead
    edited January 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Yes. Tat would be a price they would have to pay for the sake of the country.
    HYUFD said:

Then they should not have made preparing for no deal even harder. If they will not do all that might be necessary to prevent no deal, then undercutting preparation for it is very silly.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon

Our poor Country - we deserve better, much better, than those aspirations
    Boris only needs to beat Corbyn, not Blair 1997
    kle4 said:

Then they should not have made preparing for no deal even harder.

They might think they have, but....
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

As part of the 326
    No, less would still suffice. Speaker Bercow wouldn't vote but would cast a casting vote in a tie in favour of having Remain as an option. Both by arguing it is the existing status quo (so meeting the rule of tradition) but foremost because he is a die-hard Remainer.
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    He will as most Tory voters and Tory members will back him, as most Labour members and Labour voters backed Corbyn even as most Labour MPs voted against Corbyn
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Basically all these MP's now throwing their toys out of the pram voted for No Deal when they voted to invoke A50.

All they've achieved with vote is is to make life for the government even harder if it is No Deal and make the country look even more foolish as it seems we've got a majority of MP's that are so stupid they didn't know what the end result of A50 could be when they chose to invoke it.
    That's certainly very true. The level of anger far exceeds what is reasonable when they should always have known no deal was a risk. Even if they thought that risk was low, that a better PM would have made it very low, it was always a risk and if they could not countenance that then they should not have been so cowardly. It's jumping off the cliff then complaining they were pushed off.
    I do wonder if the point of wrecking tactics like Yvette Cooper's is not so much to force revocation, or even a second referendum - either of which would require pro-EU MPs to explicitly undo the result of the first - but to tie an already feeble Government up in so many knots that a No Deal Brexit is made as destructive as possible?

Thwarting Brexit outright requires the majority in Parliament to break across political lines and, if Theresa May won't capitulate, to throw her out and replace her with an emergency Government in order to give notice of revocation to the European Council, and to repeal the Withdrawal Act and all the rest of the Brexit legislation. That self-same majority would then have to submit itself to a General Election, at which it could be held liable for defying the majority of the electorate.

Perhaps they've simply decided to allow Brexit to happen, but do everything in their power to guarantee that it is a catastrophe? Then they can try to pin all of the blame on the Brexiteers, punish the voters for not doing what they wanted, and try to get enough people to repent of their sin in order to attempt to join the EU again (minus all the opt-outs) in a few years' time?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited January 2019

Jonathan said:

Now wouldn't that be ironic. ;)
  • Patriots or not - and we will have to agree to disagree on that one - they are fools doing little more than virtue signalling.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Danny565 said:

Presumably those who have said that the WA is worse than Remain may put their votes where their mouths are.

Hard to see May's deal passing.
    Headline summaries seem rather telling.

On the main BBC page 'Minister defeated over no deal brexit', but click on the story and the headline is the subtly different 'Brexit: MPs defeat government over no-deal preparations'.

A lot of people will think no brexit cannot now occur. That might be right. I think it is, but it requires further action. But others may not give way elsewhere as they think enough has been done to prevent something which is still a possibility.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Conservative MP's would have to be prepared to (a) give up their careers (b) be w
    Yes. Tat would be a price they would have to pay for the sake of the country.
    HYUFD said:

Then they should not have made preparing for no deal even harder. If they will not do all that might be necessary to prevent no deal, then undercutting preparation for it is very silly.
    Most MPs are being very silly at the moment, logic is not their strongpoint. Voting against No Deal while refusing to support the only Deal on the table

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Thated off.
    I do wonder if the point of wrecking tactics like Yvette Cooper's is not so much to force revocation, or even a second referendum - either of which would require pro-EU MPs to explicitly undo the result of the first - but to tie an already feeble Government up in so many knots that a No Deal Brexit is made as destructive as possible?

Thwarting Brexit outright requires the majority in Parliament to break across political lines and, if Theresa May won't capitulate, to throw her out and replace her with an emergency Government in order to give notice of revocation to the European Council, and to repeal the Withdrawal Act and all the rest of the Brexit legislation. That self-same majority would then have to submit itself to a General Election, at which it could be held liable for defying the majority of the electorate.

Perhaps they've simply decided to allow Brexit to happen, but do everything in their power to guarantee that it is a catastrophe? Then they can try to pin all of the blame on the Brexiteers, punish the voters for not doing what they wanted, and try to get enough people to repent of their sin in order to attempt to join the EU again (minus all the opt-outs) in a few years' time?
    I certainly hope that is not the case. I have seen the theory, even the hope, that no deal is indeed a disaster that will hasten a rejoining movement, but to actively contribute to making ti a disaster rather than even attempt mitigation seems very untoward behaviour.
  • A key legal argument in the Miller case was Brexit removed citizens existing legal rights and thus needed primary legislation and couldn't be done via prerogative power. Revocation of A50 wouldn't remove any citizen rights. It would just keep the status quo. In addition the notification Act didn't invoke A50. It didn't even say it should be invoked. It just gave the PM the power to invoke if she wanted to and she did.

So there is a legal argument to be made both that Miller doesn't apply to revocation as no rights are removed by it and that no primary legislation is overruled by revocation. Parliament has never legislated to invoke A50.

But from a political point of view any revocation of A50 via prerogative would surely and reasonably end up in the Supreme Court and given the stakes the government woukd surely want to bullet proof it with legislation anyway. Though in the UK parliament can legislate retroactively.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    It strikes me that while the vote doesn’t really change anything legally for reasons cited by others - the vote *does* represent a nail in the coffin of No Deal.

At least 20 Tories are prepared to defy the whip to prevent a No Deal. It’s over for No Dealers.

Let the argument now continue between May’s Deal, another Deal (Norway plus) and Remain.
    Foxy said:

Danny565 said:

Presumably those who have said that the WA is worse than Remain may put their votes where their mouths are.
    I do wonder at the numbers who dislike the deal intensely but also do not want no deal, as they will be key. As you say, as reluctant as they might be they should vote for remain in that circumstance.

But that's another scenario which they will demand democratic cover and say the people have to be asked. Not that they do, if they think remain is needed, but I understand they will not want to switch position without it.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    Don't forget he invented the bicycle
    Really? I thought it was a Frenchman.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

But you are talking about 20 MPs who voted today. Where are you going to find the other 137?
    Sorry I misread, I thought you were referring to the so-called 1 year immunity HYUFD keeps referring to. I didn't realise you were referring to them not having the numbers.

In any scenario people have the numbers to force a change, a change can happen. Rules won't stop it unless the rules can't be changed.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    He is a third rate, dishonest, incompetent, lazy, promiscuous and narcissistic buffoon who would split the party wide open.
    Please forgive my minor improvements, Big_G.
  • It strikes me that while the vote doesn’t really change anything legally for reasons cited by others - the vote *does* represent a nail in the coffin of No Deal.

At least 20 Tories are prepared to defy the whip to prevent a No Deal. It’s over for No Dealers.

Let the argument now continue between May’s Deal, another Deal (Norway plus) and Remain.

I don't think that is right - there may be a majority against No Deal, but that doesn't mean there's a majority in favour of anything else (which has been the problem all along). That is especially the case because of the fact that the official Labour position is utter, risible nonsense, involving a ludicrous renegotiation which cannot possibly be achieved.

It strikes me that while the vote doesn’t really change anything legally for reasons cited by others - the vote *does* represent a nail in the coffin of No Deal.

I don't think that is right - there may be a majority against No Deal, but that doesn't mean there's a majority in favour of anything else (which has been the problem all along). That is especially the case because of the fact that the official Labour position is utter, risible nonsense, involving a ludicrous renegotiation which cannot possibly be achieved.
    +1
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    You mean he didn't invent the Boris bike... or the Boris bus? No! You'll be saying he didn't invent the garden bridge either next.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

We'll see. I guess May gets to decide.

When May decides then all Tory MPs have a decision to make.

There is no other deal on the table. The EU are certainly not going to be receptive to further negotiations in advance of our leaving.

Without Corbyn's support, it is hard to see Revoke as an option. And it is harder still to see that support forthcoming without another referendum, which we don't have time for.

That means either the deal goes through, or we leave without one.

All this vote does is mean the consequences of the latter are still more damaging.

The irony is those who want a Norway model, or even rejoin, should be pushing for this deal as it does give time for us to arrange those outcomes.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    You mean he didn't invent the Boris bike... or the Boris bus? No! You'll be saying he didn't invent the garden bridge either next.
    Indeed no, it was the Chinese did that:
    http://www.bjreview.com.cn/expo2010/2010-06/30/content_282180.htm
  • It strikes me that while the vote doesn’t really change anything legally for reasons cited by others - the vote *does* represent a nail in the coffin of No Deal.

The problem being that if no one can summon majority support for any of those positions then No Deal is the one that wins. This has always been the way. It was always clear there was no majority in Parliament for No Deal but that doesn't make a blind bit of difference unless some other course of action can secure a majority. Right now I fail to see what that will be. So No Deal looks ever more likely.
    ydoethur said:

There is no other deal on the table. The EU are certainly not going to be receptive to further negotiations in advance of our leaving.

Without Corbyn's support, it is hard to see Revoke as an option. And it is harder still to see that support forthcoming without another referendum, which we don't have time for.

All this vote does is mean the consequences of the latter are still more damaging.

The irony is those who want a Norway model, or even rejoin, should be pushing for this deal as it does give time for us to arrange those outcomes.
    Final paragraph, not really, as once we are into the transition period we are technically out.
  • A key legal argument in the Miller case was Brexit removed citizens existing legal rights and thus needed primary legislation and couldn't be done via prerogative power. Revocation of A50 wouldn't remove any citizen rights. It would just keep the status quo. In addition the notification Act didn't invoke A50. It didn't even say it should be invoked. It just gave the PM the power to invoke if she wanted to and she did.

So there is a legal argument to be made both that Miller doesn't apply to revocation as no rights are removed by it and that no primary legislation is overruled by revocation. Parliament has never legislated to invoke A50.

But from a political point of view any revocation of A50 via prerogative would surely and reasonably end up in the Supreme Court and given the stakes the government woukd surely want to bullet proof it with legislation anyway. Though in the UK parliament can legislate retroactively.

That is completely irrelevant. Whatever the reasons given for requiring Primary Legislation, once it has been passed it cannot be revoked by the Executive without Parliamentary approval. Miller is yesterdays news as far as the law now stands. To revoke a piece of Primary Legislation you need a vote in Parliament.

ydoethur said:

Final paragraph, not really, as once we are into the transition period we are technically out.
    I agree it means we can't revoke. However, I think the EU would almost certainly accept an accelerated rejoin under A49, bearing in mind we would have full alignment in every respect during transition. That's why I said 'rejoin.'
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

He is a buffoon
    He will as most Tory voters and Tory members will back him, as most Labour members and Labour voters backed Corbyn even as most Labour MPs voted against Corbyn
    Not as his mps head for the exit
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

I certainly hope that is not the case. I have seen the theory, even the hope, that no deal is indeed a disaster that will hasten a rejoining movement, but to actively contribute to making ti a disaster rather than even attempt mitigation seems very untoward behaviour.
    I hope it's not the case either. Most likely it isn't. But, frankly, I think one would be naive to entirely rule out the possibility of "very untoward behaviour" by our politicians (and yes, I know they're not all rotten by any means, but they are held in low regard, as a class, for legitimate reasons beyond mere cynicism.) Especially when so many of the Remain backers have been left crestfallen by defeat, are very angry, and appear to have concluded that Brexit is entirely the product of the stupidity and/or wickedness of Leave voters. Is it beyond the bounds of possibility that some of them at least might enjoy exacting revenge upon the electorate, as well as the opportunity to say "I told you so"?

A key legal argument in the Miller case was Brexit removed citizens existing legal rights and thus needed primary legislation and couldn't be done via prerogative power. Revocation of A50 wouldn't remove any citizen rights. It would just keep the status quo. In addition the notification Act didn't invoke A50. It didn't even say it should be invoked. It just gave the PM the power to invoke if she wanted to and she did.

That is completely irrelevant. Whatever the reasons given for requiring Primary Legislation, once it has been passed it cannot be revoked by the Executive without Parliamentary approval. Miller is yesterdays news as far as the law now stands. To revoke a piece of Primary Legislation you need a vote in Parliament.
    Hamlet considered it sport to have the engineer hoist on his own petard.

I must confess I don't consider this huge mess that really silly ruling got us into (coupled with that even sillier ruling from the rubber stampers AGEU CJEU on A50) to be sport.

Unless we're talking about a full-on gladiatorial sport where everyone dies at the end.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Ayes 303
    Noes 296

Ironically I am relaxed orribly divisive
    Not at rexit!!

HYUFD said:

Albeit on the latest polls if they forced a general election May might win it anyway
    Let's run with this and say you'd get some red Tories willing to vote for a Corbyn government to stop Brexit. It would be a very ramshackle government, facing almost certain defeat in an ensuing election.
This discussion has been closed.