Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: What LAB and CON party membe

Comments

• Options
    Cyclefree said:
    In case he is already busy with some jam making the day after.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    notme2 said:

But nothing stops him writing letters, speaking to ministers and negotiating with developers. The vast bulk of MP authority is that soft power and influence.

There is, practically. The Speaker should not intervene in party political matters, and that's what that would invariably entail.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

If Grieve manages, through procedural alchemy, to transmute the base metal of the deal into the gold of remain they will probably upgrade his Légion d'honneur to the Grand Croix.

He'd deserve an EU Commissionership at the least.
    Grieve has been the great hero undermining Putin's Brexit.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

stodge said:

timmo said:

Speaking with remain friends over the last few days they sense blood and are starting to become a bit "triumphalist"
    If we do remain this will be the danger for UK society as a whole.
    The liberal left should be careful what they are wishing for.

There's that undercurrent or threat of "violence". We heard it from HYUFD, now from another Conservative activist.

I read it as sheer unadulterated fear (not you, Sean).

IF the Government revokes A50, who will the LEAVE side blame? Labour, "the liberal left", no, it will be the Conservatives pure and simple. The Conservative vote share will collapse and the Party, if it survives at all, risks either being supplanted by a new UKIP-like group or decades in opposition.

If "No Deal" is as bad as some claim, who will get the blame for that - Labour, "the liberal left", no, it will be the Conservative Government and rightly so.

It's clear Conservatives are starting to build the narrative where if anything bad happens or if Brexit is cancelled, it will be someone else's fault, the nasty Europeans, the liberal left, the metropolitan elite.

Thing is, everyone will know whose fault it is.
    It will be up to the Conservative membership to select parliamentary candidates who are in line with the members' views.
    By all accounts there are only about 60,000 members. Take away those who are there to find good matches for their daughters and those who couldn't care less and you're probably down to the kind of numbers you'd get at a Burton Albion home game
    Membership was 124,000 at the end of 2017, but lots of people joined in 2018. My guess would be about 150,000 now.
    I think it was Matthew Parris who said in the last week that Conservative membership is down to the tens of thousands and dropping fast
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

DavidL said:

AIUI Cooper's amendment restricts the ability of the government to make certain tax changes in the event of a no deal Brexit. Of course such tax changes will themselves require legislation which will supersede the amendment (assuming they are passed of course) so the amendment will have no effect.

I am sure it is just me but what was the point of this? If it was to show that there is and always has been a majority for remain in the House of Commons, despite the vast majority of them being elected on manifestos committed to implementing Brexit this is hardly news. If it was to show that this government no longer has a majority for pretty much anything including Finance bills that is hardly news either. If it was to highlight the fact that the Tory party is no longer a functioning or coherent whole capable of providing governance I suppose it had some effect, something the rebels might have reflected upon.

What I think we are actually seeing is yet more displacement activity by virtue signalers who are so sure of their own views. I suppose we have to fill in the unconscionable delays imposed by the PM with something. 5 more days of Brexit debate. What on earth is there still to say? Who on earth do these windbags think is still listening?

It's a signal, a signal that quite a lot of no-no-dealers didn't join in (presumably because they, like you and me, thought it was pointless) but still passed. What I think they are trying to do is show the Prime Minister that they are unignorable when it comes to her post-defeat options.
    I think @DavidL had it right when he described the Cooper amendment as 'yet more displacement activity'. It's a way of appearing to do something, whilst avoiding doing what actually needs to be done by MPs: decide whether to support the deal on offer - which is the one and only way of leaving without crashing out in No Deal - or alternatively cancel Brexit altogether, if necessary with a referendum fig-leaf to cover their embarrassment.

Those are the choices. Theresa May, to her great credit, is firmly if perhaps quixotically pursuing one viable option. If MPs don't want to support her, they need to select the only other viable option. At the moment they are simply avoiding the decision, in a flurry of displacement activity and fantasies.
    That's half true, but short of bringing down the Government there's not much they can do until May's Deal is brought to a vote, defeated and then the House has a chance to vote on what to do next.

It's May who created this vacuum of inactivity by delaying the vote.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, this is all very exciting and Italian, isn't it. It can't be long before we get fisticuffs inside Parliament and our gilets jaunes outside. Our politics are becoming more and more European even as we leave ... or perhaps not.

Anyway, Ken Clarke, currently one of the few grown ups in Parliament, has said the only thing that matters. If Parliament doesn't want a No Deal departure then it has to revoke Article 50 or vote for the Deal. Since it doesn't want the latter, it has only one choice.

He also said that the point of revoking Article 50 would be to give Britain time to come to a settled and considered view as to what it wanted to do next. Which was rather sweet. I will likely be in my grave before that happens.

All the rest is flim flam.

If A50 is revoked, we'll just revert to blaming the EU for our ills, and complaining about continued political integration.
    not so sure Mr F

set aside the bluster about pitchforks, but there will then be a real chance of a political realignment. Currently most of Westminster is blindsided by its brexit enfatuation, most votersdont really care that much, they want more money, houses infrastrucutre that works. A common sense party would have a real chance. Plus add in spoiler candidates for prominent leavers\remainers and all bets are off.

Would all of that be a bad thing ?
    It'd be a bloody good thing. Neither of the two main parties are fit for the purpose. The Lib Dems are irrelevant.

We need new and better parties. We could even have niche parties - for people with strong views on chocolate in hot drinks, for instance - :)
    the National Alliance for Pineapple on Pizza would be a shoo in
  • Options
    notme2 said:

A reminder that leaving with No Deal (WTO Brexit) is not the end position.

The UK could then negotiate a Withdrawal Agreement in parallel with a Free Trade Agreement.

Isnt that a bit like ripping of the sticking plaster and then trying to stick it back on again??
    notme2 said:

A reminder that leaving with No Deal (WTO Brexit) is not the end position.

The UK could then negotiate a Withdrawal Agreement in parallel with a Free Trade Agreement.

Isnt that a bit like ripping of the sticking plaster and then trying to stick it back on again??

No. It means we only pay the £39bn if we get a satisfactory trade deal.

There would be no need for a backstop because we would know what the trade arrangements are between the UK and the EU once trade negotiations are completed in parallel with withdrawal arrangements.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    What's the big deal about the Grieve amendment anyway. The clock is ticking and there isn't a huge amount to be changed whatever the time frame so let's just get on with it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited January 2019
    Looks as if PMQs could be interesting if ERG start attacking Bercow but what has become apparent is that the remainers have got their act together and are running rings round ERG

ERG had their chance for Brexit but became gready and look as if they are going to lose it for a very long time.

I am fortunate in so far as TM deal or remain are ok by me but I cannot say that I would look forward to the aftermath of us taking our place at the EU table and EU flags flying across the Country. The bitterness from many will be intense and prolonged
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, this is all very exciting and Italian, isn't it. It can't be long before we get fisticuffs inside Parliament and our gilets jaunes outside. Our politics are becoming more and more European even as we leave ... or perhaps not.

Anyway, Ken Clarke, currently one of the few grown ups in Parliament, has said the only thing that matters. If Parliament doesn't want a No Deal departure then it has to revoke Article 50 or vote for the Deal. Since it doesn't want the latter, it has only one choice.

He also said that the point of revoking Article 50 would be to give Britain time to come to a settled and considered view as to what it wanted to do next. Which was rather sweet. I will likely be in my grave before that happens.

If A50 is revoked, we'll just revert to blaming the EU for our ills, and complaining about continued political integration.
    Next recession belong Remainers.....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

set aside the bluster about pitchforks, but there will then be a real chance of a political realignment. Currently most of Westminster is blindsided by its brexit enfatuation, most votersdont really care that much, they want more money, houses infrastrucutre that works. A common sense party would have a real chance. Plus add in spoiler candidates for prominent leavers\remainers and all bets are off.

It'd be a bloody good thing. Neither of the two main parties are fit for the purpose. The Lib Dems are irrelevant.

We need new and better parties. We could even have niche parties - for people with strong views on chocolate in hot drinks, for instance - :)
    Can we have one supporting pineapple on pizza?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

not in the least, its probably overdue. We are have a 70s re run of ineffective government and politicians fascinated by their own concerns and ignoring those of the elctorate. A comprehensive overhaul is needed.
    Well if you, I and Cyclefree are in accord, then it must be right.

(I will set aside for now the question of chocolate.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Jonathan said:

Names like Mr Grieve and Mrs May are straight out of Dickens. Are we absolutely sure this is not some advanced drama, a stunt like the Welles War of the Worlds.

Jacob Rees-Mogg actually IS Dickensian.....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

stodge said:

timmo said:

Speaking with remain friends over the last few days they sense blood and are starting to become a bit "triumphalist"

There's that undercurrent or threat of "violence". We heard it from HYUFD, now from another Conservative activist.

IF the Government revokes A50, who will the LEAVE side blame? Labour, "the liberal left", no, it will be the Conservatives pure and simple. The Conservative vote share will collapse and the Party, if it survives at all, risks either being supplanted by a new UKIP-like group or decades in opposition.

If "No Deal" is as bad as some claim, who will get the blame for that - Labour, "the liberal left", no, it will be the Conservative Government and rightly so.

It's clear Conservatives are starting to build the narrative where if anything bad happens or if Brexit is cancelled, it will be someone else's fault, the nasty Europeans, the liberal left, the metropolitan elite.

It will be up to the Conservative membership to select parliamentary candidates who are in line with the members' views.
    By all accounts there are only about 60,000 members. Take away those who are there to find good matches for their daughters and those who couldn't care less and you're probably down to the kind of numbers you'd get at a Burton Albion home game
    Membership was 124,000 at the end of 2017, but lots of people joined in 2018. My guess would be about 150,000 now.
    I think it was Matthew Parris who said in the last week that Conservative membership is down to the tens of thousands and dropping fast
    Well either you’ve misunderstood or you’re both wrong....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

timmo said:

As a member of it - that liberal left - I nevertheless agree with your sentiment. I don't want to win ugly. I want to play the beautiful game.
    There's always such a thing as being careful what you wish for.

If, we do stay in, we'll form part of the growing awkward squad within the EU, and elect members of the awkward squad to the EU Parliament.
    Possibly the decisive difference.

Even on current numbers, the UK sends more than 2/3rds of its MEPs to groups outside the EPP/S%D/ALDE centrist-federalist consensus. With the likely swing away from those groups at the elections this year, how possible is it that the UK's MEPs could deprive them of a majority?
  • Options

Looks as if PMQs could be interesting if ERG start attacking Bercow but what has become apparent is that the remainers have got their act together and are running rings round ERG

ERG had their chance for Brexit but became gready and look as if they are going to lose it for a very long time.

I am fortunate in so far as TM deal or remain are ok by me but I cannot say that I would look forward to the aftermath of us taking our place at the EU table and EU flags flying across the Country. The bitterness from many will be intense and prolonged

If Brexit does not happen this time, leavers have an infinity of time in which to come back again. Time is on the side of the leavers.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Which he’ll lose.

The one single thing he could do which cements her authority.

You’ve got to hand it to him, the capacity of that man to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is impressive.
    Why is that snatching defeat? May is doing a really rather nice job for Corbyn as Tory leader. If she stays longer, he wins. If if he gets a GE, he wins. Either way the thing he doesn't want, an effective Tory leader. is further away.
    Because the story becomes ‘Labour fail in their attempt to bring down the govt’
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:
    A good job someone has scrutiny of the parliamentary process.
    Does not Parliament determine its own processes ?

Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it's not legal...
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/09/underarm-serve-between-legs-seals-bernard-tomic-win-over-nick-kyrgios
    Parliament does indeed determine its own processes and the Speaker is supposed to apply them - though I'm not too sure what the Commons can do if he doesn't.

(Of course, in theory, that means that the Speaker *should* be able to overrule his Clerks, as otherwise it would be they who were in practice sovereign and he just a cipher. Even so, it's not clever to be pushing the boundaries like this).
    Sack him if they are unhappy.
    In this case, it appears a majority are not.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1082952559982186497
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

stodge said:

timmo said:

The same tens of thousands as the immigration figures?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Sean_F said:

One of the most partisan, at any rate.
    He sees himself - as all Speakers claim to - as the guardian of the rights of MPs, if necessary against the executive. His view (which doesn't surprise me) is that if the House wishes to debate the issue in a different manner, they should not be frustrated by Government procedural ingenuity.

The Government may actually be relieved when they think about it, because the alternative could have been the Commons actually defeating the Government business motion, instead of merely amending it. That really would be carnage.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

If Grieve manages, through procedural alchemy, to transmute the base metal of the deal into the gold of remain they will probably upgrade his Légion d'honneur to the Grand Croix.

He'll be in the queue behind Varadkar.....who may shortly lose his day job...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kinabalu said:

I dunno, they got 'vaguely toadlike' nailed down.

I know what you mean but (and I get flack for this) Gove is my favourite Conservative politician apart from the national treasure that is Kenneth Clark.

When MG speaks it's as if he is speaking to me personally. Odd, given that I'm Labour through and through, but there you are.
    My mother-in-law has new glasses. They're exactly like Michael Gove's. It was, by far, the most traumatic aspect of the Festive period.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

Feel free. I like pineapple. I am not - other than say once every blue moon - particularly fond of pizza. I only really like it in Naples with real mozzarella and tomatoes and oil and nothing else. Asking me for my views on pineapple on pizza is like asking me about quantum physics or Die Hard, which I believe to be a film I have never seen and will never see: an utterly pointless activity.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

If we do stay in, we'll form part of the growing awkward squad within the EU, and elect members of the awkward squad to the EU Parliament.

Perhaps they will hold an EU wide referendum in 2020.

Do you wish to eject the UK from membership of the European Union: YES/NO

That would be interesting. Imagine if it produced a narrow NO but in many places it was a landslide for YES.

Where would that leave us?
    You could pull a similar trick by holding a UK-wide referendum on "Do you wish to eject Northern Ireland from membership of the UK?".
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Jonathan said:

Names like Mr Grieve and Mrs May are straight out of Dickens. Are we absolutely sure this is not some advanced drama, a stunt like the Welles War of the Worlds.

Uriah Heep, surely?
  • Options

If Brexit does not happen this time, leavers have an infinity of time in which to come back again. Time is on the side of the leavers.
    No future government in living memory would be willing ever again to unleash the chaos that is the omnishambolic clusterfuck of Brexit. This is the kind of soul-corroding constitutional trauma that a Nation will try only once.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

Feel free. I like pineapple. I am not - other than say once every blue moon - particularly fond of pizza. I only really like it in Naples with real mozzarella and tomatoes and oil and nothing else. Asking me for my views on pineapple on pizza is like asking me about quantum physics or Die Hard, which I believe to be a film I have never seen and will never see: an utterly pointless activity.
    I was under the impression that one of the entry requirements for PB membership was that one had watched Die Hard multiple times, in order to be able to debate if it is a Christmas movie or not.

Standards are slipping like entry to Nursing courses...
  • Options

Is this actually up to the Mayor of Calais? Surely it is an EU thing about border and third countries?

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1082896261693489152

100% of lorries are stopped and checked at Calais today.
    Isn't it the time that is the issue. Few seconds a check - ok. A minute a check - chaos.
    But at Calais they stop every truck and van and scan them, they can look at the customs declaration at the same time.
    At Dover all vehicles have to arrive minimum 1 hour before departure, drivers sitting around having a cup of tea, etc, It can not be too difficult to check the customs doc at the tea stop, during the time they are already sitting around doing nothing.
    You have never been involved in international trade I bet. They need to check the following. Correct custom duties applied, goods meet the regulations of the importing country and source of goods. As regulations and duties are a moving feast often the goods don't meet the rules. A single electronic system that can verify the supplier, the goods and compliance with all the regulations is a theoretical concept but far from reality unfortunately. Not even in a few years.

There is a view that initially no need to check as we will be fully in compliance but the minute we issue a new law or fail to follow one of the EC new rules chaos ensues.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

stodge said:

timmo said:

If so, he is misinformed.
  • Options

But the least effective constituency MP.
    Honestly we should have a ficititious constituency for the Speaker to represent, so when an MP becomes speaker, that seat could elect a new MP. Speakers can never meaningfully represent their constituents, and that's a shame.
    And Bercow continues to support the current Speaker system and is against the alternative proposal for a St Stephens MP arrangement where once elected as Speaker they become the MPs MP and a by-election held in the Speaker's former constituency.
    I've a couple of very old friends in Bercow's constituency and they really feel disenfranchised. I don't think they're likely to vote Tory, either.
    We have HS2, an Incinerator and now a new motorway and new cities being proposed in the Buckingham constituency but an MP unable to speak or vote on these local issues in parliament.
    Given Bercow has said he'll go this summer then standby for the Buckingham by-election
    Bercow;s spokesperson specifically denied that he said he would go in the summer.

When appointed in 2009 he said he would go after nine years, which was last June.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

Yep is we don't leave the EU as was the instruction given on 23rd June 2016 the campaign to leave will begin in earnest.

Never understood why Remainers think that over-turning the referendum and remaining would then be the end of the matter?

Anyway, the campaign to leave starts the moment Brexit is overturned and the campaign should encompass all democratic means necessary
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

I was under the impression that one of the entry requirements for PB membership was that one had watched Die Hard multiple times, in order to be able to debate if it is a Christmas movie or not.

I have never watched Die Hard
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

If we do stay in, we'll form part of the growing awkward squad within the EU, and elect members of the awkward squad to the EU Parliament.

Perhaps they will hold an EU wide referendum in 2020.

Do you wish to eject the UK from membership of the European Union: YES/NO

That would be interesting. Imagine if it produced a narrow NO but in many places it was a landslide for YES.

Where would that leave us?
    You could pull a similar trick by holding a UK-wide referendum on "Do you wish to eject Northern Ireland from membership of the UK?".
    It would be genuinely funny if we got expelled from the EU, after annoying them once too often.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

I'm afraid you've just missed your timeslot for that. Give it another 11 months.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

not so sure Mr F

Outrageous. Next you will be telling us that you think Radiohead live are actually quite good.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Grieve is a great parliamentarian and has always been extremely impressive. He outwits most in his field.

The trouble is I doubt there are many votes in niche, functionary, legalistic, clever, managerial style of operating.

I could envisage Grieve penning the perfect 1000-page legal document to ensure anything Brexit-related doesn't become law while the proletariat are outside, firebombing parliament.

And that's kinda the worry, right now...

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

Grieve has been the great hero undermining Putin's Brexit.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited January 2019
    OT unintended consequences.

Metropolitan Police uploads a video showing police cars nudging riders off motorbikes, with the aim of deterring moped muggers. What could go wrong?

Murder, apparently. It turns out the bad guys saw it as an instructional video.
    A 14-year-old boy has been stabbed to death by attackers who knocked him off a moped, in what police believe was a targeted attack.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46804698
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yep is we don't leave the EU as was the instruction given on 23rd June 2016 the campaign to leave will begin in earnest.

Never understood why Remainers think that over-turning the referendum and remaining would then be the end of the matter?

Anyway, the campaign to leave starts the moment Brexit is overturned and the campaign should encompass all democratic means necessary
    Would it be too much to hope that next time they first try to reach agreement on what they actually want, within the bounds of what is possible?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019
    Crickey....Michael Crick is going to explode.
  • Options
    There's a lot of Brexiteer whining about Bercow's "unacceptable partisan behaviour".

People seem to have forgotten that, nominally, Grieve and Bercow are Tories...
  • Options

No future government in living memory would be willing ever again to unleash the chaos that is the omnishambolic clusterfuck of Brexit. This is the kind of soul-corroding constitutional trauma that a Nation will try only once.
    No one is going to offer an advisory referendum again.

But, I think it likely that a government would at some point, get elected that was pledged to leave the EU.
  • Options
    Obviously adjourning for Christmas (!) did the jury the world of good.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    GIN1138 said:

If Brexit is cancelled then Mrs May is toast. As is the wet wipe wing of the Con party.

The only question is do Grieve, Soubry etc love the EU more than the Uk ?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Steven Swinford

New:

John Bercow's spokeswoman confirms that the Grieve amendment has been selected.

I'm told separately that Bercow held a meeting about it this morning with Sir David Natzler, the Clerk of the Commons, who advised him against selecting it.

Bercow did not agree.

Can a point of order be raised on this??
  • Options
    Marion Little also found not guilty. A proper tidying up of the rules is in order (but unlikely).
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Jonathan said:

Who was the Wackford Squeers-alike in Mrs Thatcher's government?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

GIN1138 said:

Would it be too much to hope that next time they first try to reach agreement on what they actually want, within the bounds of what is possible?
    If people are expecting any outcome to be the end of the matter they will be disappointed. Arguably the deal is worst as it explicitly avoids a long-term solution. We will be arguing of years until something worse comes along.
  • Options

That is the current problem.

The people want to Leave the EU but MPs don't want to Leave the EU.

The solution is for people to get more involved in the selection of party parliamentary candidates.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    I said before the referendum result came in that whoever ended up 'winning' (if we end up staying in, that counts as a Remain win) would see it become Pyrrhic. And that's still true.
  • Options

Marion Little also found not guilty. A proper tidying up of the rules is in order (but unlikely).
    Yes, the rules are a complete shambles. No one, including the Electoral Commission, seems to know for sure what is legal and what isn't.
  • Options
    Meanwhile the Uk stockmarket is up 1% today.
  • Options

A lot of people thought she was getting thrown under the bus. I'm glad she was acquitted.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

If Brexit is cancelled then Mrs May is toast. As is the wet wipe wing of the Con party.

100% yes. Of course they do.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited January 2019
    Godamnit I wanted a by election in Thanet South.

A great day for discussions of actus reus versus mens rea I think.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    What happens when it emerges the Gov'ts plan B is to ram the deal down MPs throats once more ?
  • Options
    To help you get some idea of complexity of international trade. This is my list for today. In EC my requirement today is nothing but the right to sell in the UK.

Request documentation for medical device registration in Japan

1:Regarding product examination, we need following documents.

* Either Technical files or Devise master file including technical drawings with measurement
    * Color photos of each products
    * The list of all raw materials with CAS numbers
    * Package materials
    * ISO10993-1, the report of Biological actual test data.(Not evaluation reports.)
    →cytotoxicity, sensitization and skin irritation
    * ISO7864 test reports for single use cannula
    * Sterilize Validations
    * Test report of Ethylene oxide sterilization residuals.
    * Self Life determination’s test data and Accelerated aging test data
    * Declaration of Conformity
    * Risk Management plan
    * Risk management evaluation
    * Risk Management report for products with date, name, position and signature
    * IFU (Instruction for use)

2:Regarding QMS examination, we need following documents.

* ISO13485 certification for each manufacture.
    * The latest quality manual for each manufacture
    * The latest audit report of ISO13485 for each manufacture.
  • Options
  • Options

Can a point of order be raised on this??

I strongly expect Mrs Leadsom will raise a point of order asking Mr Speaker for a ruling on whether Mr Speaker's ruling is in order. But I think we already know what the outcome will be.

Bercow has taken the advice of his Clerks, as is proper, and then has decided that he disagrees since principle is more important than convention, as is his right.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

That's a good idea. Cutting medals for the heroes of the counter-revolution....

The highest honour could be a Grieve followed by a Sobrey or a Bercow
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What happens when it emerges the Gov'ts plan B is to ram the deal down MPs throats once more ?

The House can amend it, under the terms of the previous Grieve amendment, to say whatever they wish.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

kinabalu said:

I dunno, they got 'vaguely toadlike' nailed down.

I know what you mean but (and I get flack for this) Gove is my favourite Conservative politician apart from the national treasure that is Kenneth Clark.

When MG speaks it's as if he is speaking to me personally. Odd, given that I'm Labour through and through, but there you are.
    My mother-in-law has new glasses. They're exactly like Michael Gove's. It was, by far, the most traumatic aspect of the Festive period.
    My father told me my glasses looked like Gove's just before Xmas. I threw them in the bin and got some Jurgen Klopps.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

That is the current problem.

The people want to Leave the EU but MPs don't want to Leave the EU.

The solution is for people to get more involved in the selection of party parliamentary candidates.
    To be accurate about half 'the people' want to Leave. About half don't. Although I agree about more people getting involved in selecting candidates.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

A great day for discussions of actus rea versus mens rea I think.

I think the phrase "malice aforethought" is one the mosty charmingly melifluous phrases in the English language. It's wasted on murderers tbh.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The House can amend it, under the terms of the previous Grieve amendment, to say whatever they wish.
    The house doesn't have a clue or any authority with the EU about what it f**king wants
  • Options

Yes, the rules are a complete shambles. No one, including the Electoral Commission, seems to know for sure what is legal and what isn't.
    I get the impression that the precise distinction between whats allowed as constituency spending and what's allowed as national spending was always intended to be constructively ambiguous.

Unfortunately the national mood has shifted decisively against ambiguity (constructive or otherwise) in expense claims when the rules have not.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:
    Every time MPs had an opportunity to replace Bercow, they bottled it. Chickens coming home to roost.

But I mean, seriously, how can the speaker allow an amendment which is against the SOs?
    The final arbiter on all matters of procedure in the House is the Speaker. And it is, after all, only a convention that the house should not amend business of the house motions. But Bercow clearly feels that allowing the House to express its democratic will against an executive that is doing all in its power to prevent it is more important.

NB, it's also a long-standing convention that a government should resign if they lose an amendment on a finance bill. And yet...
    Not true. The Callaghan Government did not fall when the Rooker-Wise amendment was passed in 1977.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

I agree, especially as it is unlikely the EU is going to change direction. I would be happier with remaining if the people at the top of the EU had taken some responsibility for the leave vote - it is their failure as much as that of the UK's remainers. They failed. Instead they appear to have learnt nothing.

However next time the leavers will have to agree a prospectus *before* the referendum, and stand by that. The big lie cannot occur again.

IMO the hardcore Brexiteers don't deserve a second chance if they fail this time. The likes of Rees Mogg, David Davis, Farage and their ilk should be sent to live on Inaccessible Island for the mess their irrational Europhobia has left the country in.

And good riddance. Let the sane Brexiteers take over.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The house doesn't have a clue or any authority with the EU about what it f**king wants
    The house wants chaos with Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Is this actually up to the Mayor of Calais? Surely it is an EU thing about border and third countries?

Isn't it the time that is the issue. Few seconds a check - ok. A minute a check - chaos.
    But at Calais they stop every truck and van and scan them, they can look at the customs declaration at the same time.
    At Dover all vehicles have to arrive minimum 1 hour before departure, drivers sitting around having a cup of tea, etc, It can not be too difficult to check the customs doc at the tea stop, during the time they are already sitting around doing nothing.
    You have never been involved in international trade I bet. They need to check the following. Correct custom duties applied, goods meet the regulations of the importing country and source of goods. As regulations and duties are a moving feast often the goods don't meet the rules. A single electronic system that can verify the supplier, the goods and compliance with all the regulations is a theoretical concept but far from reality unfortunately. Not even in a few years.

There is a view that initially no need to check as we will be fully in compliance but the minute we issue a new law or fail to follow one of the EC new rules chaos ensues.

So as an example you believe that for every car manufactured outside the EU they are stopped at the border and Cuthbert and Colin the customs chaps get out the EU type approval directive and check the car for compliance?

Just to let you know in the EU, compliance with regulations are not checked at the border, they are the legal responsibility of the importer.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

I said before the referendum result came in that whoever ended up 'winning' (if we end up staying in, that counts as a Remain win) would see it become Pyrrhic. And that's still true.

The victory will be Tacitan. Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
  • Options

A great day for discussions of actus rea versus mens rea I think.

I think the phrase "malice aforethought" is one the mosty charmingly melifluous phrases in the English language. It's wasted on murderers tbh.
    'Phallus aforethought' was my favourite phrase at university and shortly thereafter
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Very true.

They only have to be lucky once.
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    ‏Verified account @Steven_Swinford
    4m4 minutes ago

NEW

The Chief Whip has confronted John Bercow in the Chamber moments ago and warned that his decision to accept the Grieve amendment has damaged Parliament.

Bercow apparently responded by saying that he wouldn't be 'bullied' by Government whips

It's all kicking off....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

I was under the impression, given the fissiparous forces they have unleashed, that it is Brexiteers who hate the EU considerably more than they love the UK.

• Options

Christopher Hope
    ‏Verified account @christopherhope
    1m1 minute ago

We are heading for a major constitutional crunch over the Speaker John Bercow selecting Dominic Grieve's amendment. A senior source in the Labour whips' office says the amendment is "not selectable". Jacob Rees-Mogg is now in Chamber armed with a hard copy of Erskine May. #PMQs
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    ‏Verified account @Steven_Swinford
    4m4 minutes ago

NEW

The Chief Whip has confronted John Bercow in the Chamber moments ago and warned that his decision to accept the Grieve amendment has damaged Parliament.

Bercow apparently responded by saying that he wouldn't be 'bullied' by Government whips

It's all kicking off....

It would be equally valid to argue that it is the exectutive, with its extended filibuster, which has attempted to damage Parliament.
    Grieve/Bercow is a response to that.

• Options

Jack Maidment
    ‏Verified account @jrmaidment

Jacob Rees-Mogg is sat in the House of Commons with what looks suspiciously like a copy of Erskine May.
    A storm of points of order like no other will surely follow PMQs over the selection of the Grieve amendment.

Popcorn time.
  • Options

Christopher Hope
    ‏Verified account @christopherhope
    1m1 minute ago

We are heading for a major constitutional crunch over the Speaker John Bercow selecting Dominic Grieve's amendment. A senior source in the Labour whips' office says the amendment is "not selectable". Jacob Rees-Mogg is now in Chamber armed with a hard copy of Erskine May. #PMQs

What’s he going to do ? Throw it at the Speaker ?

If Bercow is supported by a majority in the House, then his ruling is effectively unchallengeable.
  • Options
    Can't believe the Speaker has rescheduled the Grieve amendment to the business motion after the government's attempts to reschedule the Grieve amendnent to the business motion.

THIS IS MADNESS.
  • Options
    Seems we are still along way off truly self driving cars / trucks.

First ride in the Daimler semi-autonomous truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEuruSB4Vk
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

Yep is we don't leave the EU as was the insnecessary

I was under the impression, given the fissiparous forces they have unleashed, that it is Brexiteers who hate the EU considerably more than they love the UK.

I think the pop-corn moment is more how do the conservatives on the one hand cry Jeremy Corbyn is the UKs biggest threat while at the same time appearing to do their utmost to put him in office ?

One of the huge downsides of the FTPA is that parties can now have their civil wars in government with no actual downside to not governing.

Until of course the next election
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Good to be reminded to collect my winnings on John Bercow not resigning in 2018. I shall miss him terribly when he's gone, he's been a great little income generator.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Bercow seems to have pushed it to far this time. His dictatorial concept of how to be a speaker is getting criticism from both sides of the Brexit divide. It would be worrying for democracy if he genuinely thinks he has a greater claim to power than the government.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120

So as an example you believe that for every car manufactured outside the EU they are stopped at the border and Cuthbert and Colin the customs chaps get out the EU type approval directive and check the car for compliance?

Just to let you know in the EU, compliance with regulations are not checked at the border, they are the legal responsibility of the importer.
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to resolve this argument for once and for all by having a "dress rehearsal" for a No Deal Brexit, say at the beginning of February.

If those saying there would be minimal disruption were proved right, they would have disarmed their opponents of their most potent weapon. If, on the other hand, chaos ensued and food and medicine started to run short, then we'd have the option of calling off the dress rehearsal and having another think about what to do.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Or Scotland of course.

The place I get to meet Leavers is the golf club and it's striking how many of them are passionate advocates of Scottish Independence. They also believe that Scotland is only kept afloat by English subsidy.

"So you wish to see Scotland impoverished, chaps, do you?" I've been known to say.

Much sniggering all round.
  • Options

Jack Maidment

Jacob Rees-Mogg is sat in the House of Commons with what looks suspiciously like a copy of Erskine May.
    A storm of points of order like no other will surely follow PMQs over the selection of the Grieve amendment.

Popcorn time.

Bercow will accept a single point of order, say that he feels that the right of Parliament to be heard is vital, in light of the government's excessive time wasting. He might also remind Mrs Leadsom that if the house disagrees with his rulings, it is of course completely within its right to remove him with a motion of no confidence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited January 2019
    kinabalu said:

Or Scotland of course.

The place I get to meet Leavers is the golf club and it's striking how many of them are passionate advocates of Scottish Independence. They also believe that Scotland is only kept afloat by English subsidy.

"So you wish to see Scotland impoverished, chaps, do you?" I've been known to say.

Much sniggering all round.
    The Scots of course say we will be impoverished as we will lose North Sea oil on top of Brexit.

I have yet to see a poll of English voters backing Scottish independence though unless reversing Brexit is the only way to keep Scotland in the UK
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    Sean_F said:

No one is going to offer an advisory referendum again.

But, I think it likely that a government would at some point, get elected that was pledged to leave the EU.
    Just as barmy as those on the Brexit side who don’t expect us to ever deal with Satan are those on the ultra europhile side who this as an opportunity to extinguish euroscepticism in the U.K. for good.

They are both wrong.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    kinabalu said:

Very true.

They only have to be lucky once.
    They've only got so long until they die.
  • Options

Jack Maidment

Popcorn time.

Bercow will accept a single point of order, say that he feels that the right of Parliament to be heard is vital, in light of the government's excessive time wasting. He might also remind Mrs Leadsom that if the house disagrees with his rulings, it is of course completely within its right to remove him with a motion of no confidence.
    He tried that single point of order last time and it failed comprehensively
  • Options
    Oof

today is the second anniversary of Stormont breaking up. Thats 2 years the useless numpties have drawn their salaries and ignored their constituents.

https://sluggerotoole.com/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Ace, in English, I'm going to use that quote at the start of Crown of Blood (hopefully out in the first half of this year).

That said, I think it's wrong here. There won't be a desert. It'll be more like trench warfare.
This discussion has been closed.