Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Layla Moran now becomes favourite to become next LD leader

Comments

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2019

308-297

Friday it is then

Parliament isn't sitting on Friday 18th - so if the vote is next Tuesday Mrs May presumably actually gets six days (within 3 sitting days) until Monday 21st to come back. You can't expect MPs to work Fridays at such momentous times!

https://calendar.parliament.uk/calendar/Commons/All/2019/1/18/Daily
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

PClipp said:

Layla Moran, the LibDem's Leanne Wood.....

I agree. From the press she gets in the Oxford Mail, she seems obsessed with identity politics and little else and comes over as very lightweight. The comments sections predictably call her "Layla Moron" and routinely rip apart her statements.
    She doesn't seem anything other than lightweight. No substance to her at all.
    Never have seen the appeal.
    Hard-line Tories don`t.
    Except I am not a hard-line Tory. I am an OxWAb voter who was not impressed by her at any point since she was selected. No actual substance to any of her positions. No rhetorical skill. No real world experience to add to the House. A deeply bland candidate.

I have voted for a range of candidates over the past 30 years including Con and LD. But can't support Moran

Ah, I'd always presumed you were Oxford East.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The Opposition benches look fuller than the government ones.....308 in favour 297 against.....a narrow win....

I'm surprised that the margin was that small.
    me too

in the last 2 votes its been fairly tight. It looks like only 610-615 MPs are voting, so where are the other 30 or so - paired off, abstaining ?
    In yesterday's vote 25 Labour MPs were absent or abstained against 15 Tory MPs, so it's certainly not all pairing. The Labour whipping operation is crap, but the size of the Tory rebellions is now large enough to compensate for that.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Mortimer said:

308-297

Friday it is then

I’d say this tomfoolery justifies delaying the vote again, frankly.
    The government is lurching from defeat to defeat because it can't bring its own coalition and MPs into line.

What you think is completely immaterial.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

I agree. From the press she gets in the Oxford Mail, she seems obsessed with identity politics and little else and comes over as very lightweight. The comments sections predictably call her "Layla Moron" and routinely rip apart her statements.
    That's how the lib dems operate..
    Look at Brake Davey Farron it's just about them
    Given the boundary changes have still not gone through, Moran is very vulnerable to a slight uptick in the Labour or Tory vote...
    And it's worth noting that in 2017, the Labour share was virtually static, which suggests quite a high degree of tactical voting given the swing elsewhere. Only once (in 2010) since the seat was created (in 1983) has the Labour vote share in OxWaB been lower.
    She's broadly a social liberal - much more palatable to Labour voters (and the Greens, who stood aside in OxWAb) than a former Coalition minister would be.

I've spent a bit of time looking at the boundary changes for the seat and I think she'd retain it assuming there are no dramatic changes from current polling. Yes, she's toast if Jericho, Summertown and Osney suddenly decide to vote for a Tory party that's been merrily advancing the cause of Brexit for the past years, but somehow I can't see that happening. (And some of the new Cherwell wards are a lot more liberal than you might think.)
    A summer election might change things. There must be a few hundred students resident in Jericho who are now likely LD than Tory.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

WHat happens if the Gov't doesn't return 3 days after it loses the vote - or simply returns and says it'll try again; or says it'll return err "tommorow" ?

My understanding, FWIW, is that the government has 21 days in which to get the MV passed, failing which it has to make a statement about what it intends to do next. S13(4) of the EU Withdrawal Act states:
    A Minister of the Crown must, within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the House of Commons decides not to pass the resolution, make a statement setting out how Her Majesty’s Government proposes to proceed in relation to negotiations for the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EU under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union.

I am not sure that there is a limit on how many goes it can have in that 21 days. The approval of the package (not just the WA), however, is a condition precedent of further progress in the ratification of the agreement.
    There is no sanction under the legislation, other than of moral force, that comes from the government losing a vote on the statement it has to make if the vote on the WA is lost (nor, in practice, can there be).
    A Government aready found to be in contempt of Parliament will take that in its stride......

May will just do Whatever The Fuck She Wants.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has anything else dramatic happened in the last couple of hours?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited January 2019
    TOPPING said:

If further concessions are coming then I hope we have warned Barnier, Macron, Merkel, et al to make themselves available next week.

What concessions? The EU's negotiators must be fed up to the back teeth with this.

'Go away and come back when you know what you want' is what May & Barclay are likely to be told.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

Given the boundary changes have still not gone through, Moran is very vulnerable to a slight uptick in the Labour or Tory vote...
    And it's worth noting that in 2017, the Labour share was virtually static, which suggests quite a high degree of tactical voting given the swing elsewhere. Only once (in 2010) since the seat was created (in 1983) has the Labour vote share in OxWaB been lower.
    She's broadly a social liberal - much more palatable to Labour voters (and the Greens, who stood aside in OxWAb) than a former Coalition minister would be.

I've spent a bit of time looking at the boundary changes for the seat and I think she'd retain it assuming there are no dramatic changes from current polling. Yes, she's toast if Jericho, Summertown and Osney suddenly decide to vote for a Tory party that's been merrily advancing the cause of Brexit for the past years, but somehow I can't see that happening. (And some of the new Cherwell wards are a lot more liberal than you might think.)
    Jericho is one of the Reddest parts of the city outside of East Oxford.

But if the changes happen we do move out of OxWAb into the city seat.
  • Options

The Opposition benches look fuller than the government ones.....308 in favour 297 against.....a narrow win....

I too thought it would be 20+, and others thought it would be even higher. I wonder if Bercows antics brought some on the government side into line....

While 11 is clearly a "loss" its hardly a "humiliation"....
    Dear oh dear, it really has come to this. Comfort blankets at the ready.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Bercows car sticker raised

And it's his wife's. That just about puts you on the same level as Holloway, Big G, and that's not a great place to be.
    Not really.

Bercow has lost any pretence at being impartial and now is firmly seen as as wanting to stop brexit
    You're on the wrong side of this one Big G. Allow your natural sense of justice and cool eye for common sense to prevail.

Parliament will be voting, not Bercow. You know, the whole take back control thing. What are you scared of?
    Bercow is not a suitable speaker. However, TM deal or remain seem likely so I am content but am concerned about the divisive nature a referendum would be

The remain mps are in control and well organised. ERG are going to lose brexit due to their chaotic organisation
    Its not their organisation or chaos that is their issue. They may have been backed by 52% of voters but the 48% have the majority of MPs. No organisation skills or even the Wisdom of Solomon could overcome that.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

A summer election might change things. There must be a few hundred students resident in Jericho who are now likely LD than Tory.
    There are v few Tory voters of any age in Jericho
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

308-297

Friday it is then

The government is lurching from defeat to defeat because it can't bring its own coalition and MPs into line.

Says a self professed bloke on the internet....

You are rivalling my position as Patroniser in Chief, mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Anazina said:

I too thought it would be 20+, and others thought it would be even higher. I wonder if Bercows antics brought some on the government side into line....

While 11 is clearly a "loss" its hardly a "humiliation"....
    Dear oh dear, it really has come to this. Comfort blankets at the ready.
    It is of course is another procedural loss about process - it doesn't change the substantive issue i.e. what is May going to do if/when the MV is lost next Tuesday.

Quite soon the Tories may well split big time on meaningful votes.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

308-297

Friday it is then

This is why May should have been replaced.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Mortimer said:

308-297

Friday it is then

Start kicking that can Theresa. :D
  • Options

Brom said:

Grieve amendment passes, government humiliated again, flawless Bercow victory.

Ayes: 308
    Noes: 297

Bercow wins the battle but sounds like he's losing the war.
    Bercow's demise had been predicted before, and it hasn't happened. I'd bet for him going at a time of his own choice - and that he'll settle some scores in the meantime.

Indeed. The PB Tories have been fapping about Bercow's departure for what seems like decades.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

Really? When I was up it was where most of the hunting set lived.
  • Options
    That is asking Ireland not to blink.

And Germany, who won't allow a Hard Border under any circumstances. (So how you gonna deal with that No Deal Hard Border, Mutti? Rather suggest she is urging a rethink to prevent that very No Deal. Come on, drop the backstop you say won't be needed - and suddenly 100+ Tory MPs fall into line.....)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

me too

in the last 2 votes its been fairly tight. It looks like only 610-615 MPs are voting, so where are the other 30 or so - paired off, abstaining ?
    In yesterday's vote 25 Labour MPs were absent or abstained against 15 Tory MPs, so it's certainly not all pairing. The Labour whipping operation is crap, but the size of the Tory rebellions is now large enough to compensate for that.
    let me guess Jezza was at his alotment ?
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Has anything else dramatic happened in the last couple of hours?

How many votes does a government have to lose before each defeat ceases to be dramatic?

Maybe May can contrive to lose some more votes before the Meaningful Vote and then it won't seem so meaningful after all...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

Labour holds the council seat with a 2k majority
  • Options
    You know things are getting seriously bad for the government when the PB Tories are playing down the scale of the latest defeat.

Jesus wept.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

The memory is probably another of your many delusions.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And it's his wife's. That just about puts you on the same level as Holloway, Big G, and that's not a great place to be.
    Not really.

Bercow has lost any pretence at being impartial and now is firmly seen as as wanting to stop brexit
    You're on the wrong side of this one Big G. Allow your natural sense of justice and cool eye for common sense to prevail.

Parliament will be voting, not Bercow. You know, the whole take back control thing. What are you scared of?
    Bercow is not a suitable speaker. However, TM deal or remain seem likely so I am content but am concerned about the divisive nature a referendum would be

The remain mps are in control and well organised. ERG are going to lose brexit due to their chaotic organisation
    Its not their organisation or chaos that is their issue. They may have been backed by 52% of voters but the 48% have the majority of MPs. No organisation skills or even the Wisdom of Solomon could overcome that.
    Not at all. May decided to treat the referendum result like it was a General Election - forget the other lot they can have their say in five years time. Except it was a once in a generation vote.

She should have brought together all sides of the debate to forge, together with the EU, a sensible, consensus-building Brexit.

But she didn't. She treated it like a GE and, like GEs, that set up the expectation of "the other side" having another crack at it via subsequent votes, in this case a second referendum.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

You know things are getting seriously bad for the government when the PB Tories are playing down the scale of the latest defeat.

Jesus wept.

The size of the defeat doesn't matter. The effect does. So tell us - what is the effect, in the great scheme of things? What great victory have Remainers won?
  • Options

And Germany, who won't allow a Hard Border under any circumstances. (So how you gonna deal with that No Deal Hard Border, Mutti? Rather suggest she is urging a rethink to prevent that very No Deal. Come on, drop the backstop you say won't be needed - and suddenly 100+ Tory MPs fall into line.....)
    I doubt blinking is the issue, the warm uncomfortable feel inside Leos trouser leg might be more of an issue
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    The irony of Leadsom earlier having pushed Bercow to publish his advice
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    eek said:

I can't see Labour allowing a No Deal Brexit to occur while an election was taking place...
    Is this the same Labour Party that is actively pursuing a general election in the event that the Withdrawal Agreement is voted down?

By my reckoning, the absolute earliest that a GE could be held following a failed vote next Tuesday is

15 Jan - WA vote
    16 Jan - VoNC
    31 Jan - 2-week FTPA period expires
    7 Mar - General election

However, I'm not sure whether the 31 January would count as the first day of the 25 working days of the campaign. If not, then we'd be looking at March 14 as the earliest polling day and it's not impossible to see how you could get to a point where the earliest date is 28 March or later. In that case, does Labour keep pushing for a GE, even though the Commons hasn't 9and hence can't) ratified any deal?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

Hard-line Tories don`t.
    Except I am not a hard-line Tory. I am an OxWAb voter who was not impressed by her at any point since she was selected. No actual substance to any of her positions. No rhetorical skill. No real world experience to add to the House. A deeply bland candidate.
    I have voted for a range of candidates over the past 30 years including Con and LD. But can't support Moran
    My deepest apologies to you then. I always took you to be an extreme Tory. Unforgivable of me.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2019

me too

let me guess Jezza was at his alotment ?
    The Met Office is warning of possible cold weather (towards the end of the month) after the Sudden Stratospheric Warming that's just happened, so there might be a bit of work to be done before the weather brings a pause to his endeavours.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not really.

Not at all. May decided to treat the referendum result like it was a General Election - forget the other lot they can have their say in five years time. Except it was a once in a generation vote.

She should have brought together all sides of the debate to forge, together with the EU, a sensible, consensus-building Brexit.

But she didn't. She treated it like a GE and, like GEs, that set up the expectation of "the other side" having another crack at it via subsequent votes, in this case a second referendum.
    I suspect when the dust has settled there will be serious questions about May’s approach. At no point has she offered anything to others. She wanted to whip it through inside the Tory Party rather than reaching out. A terrible error.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

308-297

Friday it is then

Says a self professed bloke on the internet....

You are rivalling my position as Patroniser in Chief, mind.
    That position will be fought over more keenly than the next Tory leadership ballot.....

*throws hat in ring*
  • Options
    Jesus, the guy just epitomises #leavergrammar.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2019

• Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Hard-line Tories don`t.
    My deepest apologies to you then. I always took you to be an extreme Tory. Unforgivable of me.
    Yes, he had me fooled too.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Anazina said:

Jesus wept.

The size of the defeat doesn't matter. The effect does. So tell us - what is the effect, in the great scheme of things? What great victory have Remainers won?
    They have made it easier to vote against May's deal ? And hence increased the chances of both a second referendum and a WTO Brexit.

• Options

Anazina said:

Jesus wept.

I didn't claim that they had. I merely pointed out that the government is crippled. Losing votes a plenty.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Anazina said:

Brom said:

Grieve amendment passes, government humiliated again, flawless Bercow victory.

Ayes: 308
    Noes: 297

Bercow wins the battle but sounds like he's losing the war.
    Bercow's demise had been predicted before, and it hasn't happened. I'd bet for him going at a time of his own choice - and that he'll settle some scores in the meantime.

Indeed. The PB Tories have been fapping about Bercow's departure for what seems like decades.
    We are all PB Tories now, comrade!
  • Options
    Even if the ERG try and salvage something out of Brexit by voting for the deal there are no numbers for it now - poor Jacob like and early edition WW1 general.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

That's an unfair characterisation of what she did. It is true that she failed abysmally in the people-management aspect of building a consensus, but in terms of substantive positioning she has very much tried to come up with a compromise deal which should be acceptable to all sides. She's tried very hard to implement the letter and the spirit of the referendum vote, whilst keeping close ties with Europe and minimising the economic hit. Unfortunately she has catastrophically failed to prevent others from framing the deal as they want to, for their own purposes.
  • Options
    So no by-election in South Thanet then. When do we hear about sentencing for the soon-to-be-ex-MP for Peterborough?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Afternoon all :)

Fairly predictably, I imagine some of the Conservative activists on here have been pretty negative about Layla. Well, that's to be expected. Any possible leader of any other party is immediately denigrated and mocked.

As for future Conservative leaders, well, the Tories do a very good line in parody and self-mockery which seems to consist of calling each other "sh1ts" or similar. Ho hum.

While I don't agree with her on policy (at least in this instance), I think if Layla Moran wants to be leader, fine, let her put herself forward and along with other Party members, I'll go to the hustings and see what she has to say.

She has impressed me thus far not least for wrenching Oxford West from the Conservatives last time. I do want to hear she would take the challenge to Labour and particularly how she could draw moderate Labour supporters toward the LDs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not really.

well maybe but unlike flouncy Dave shes still there taking her punishment
  • Options

So no by-election in South Thanet then. When do we hear about sentencing for the soon-to-be-ex-MP for Peterborough?

All the signs are she won't be an ex-MP, she will cling on regardless.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Has the list of rebels been put up yet?
  • Options

Petition to Recall will do for her......
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Hard-line Tories don`t.
    I am naturally right of centre. But not hard-line by any means. I voted Remain even though I have severe misgivings about the impact of European courts on our political and judicial lives.

I have friends across the political spectrum and I abhor the posturing and preening of many modern politicians. I hold much of the current HoC in contempt. The quality of our political class is woefully low. And that applies to all parties.

We are in a difficult situation. Rational debate now seems impossible. I just want it over with. And I am not alone in that.
  • Options

Indeed. We should all campaign to ensure that petition succeeds if it is needed
  • Options

The petition threshold is very high. Wasn't reached with the NI MP who was suspended from the Commons for taking and not declaring gifts from other countries.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019
    It's important to note that the Grieve amendment is not limited to requiring the PM to make a statement in the Commons within three days, it requires the government to hold a ‘plan B’ vote within three sitting days - i.e., by Monday week. So she will have just six days to extract meaningful concessions from the EU27.

You might think that is a good thing, given the very limited time still left. It's certainly a substantive amendment.
  • Options

It's important to note that the Grieve amendment is not limited to requiring the PM to make a statement in the Commons with three days, it requires the government to hold a ‘plan B’ vote within three sitting days - i.e., by Monday week. So she will have just six days to extract meaningful concessions from the EU27.

You might think that is a good thing, given the very limited time still left. It's certainly a substantive amendment.

What happens if Plan B is voted down?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not sure about Layla Moran, but I would happily see Rachel Riley as leader of the Labour Party.

Surely you mean the Labor Party in Israel

She isnt a member of the British Labour Party now.

BTW the court case brought against Corbyn being an Anti Semite has been withdrawn hasn't it?
    What a fucking arsehole you are BJO.

Edit: I would have said c&nt but that type of language is not allowed on here.
    What's rattled your cage? Some celebrity idiot off Countdown isn't worth getting stressed over.
    What has Rachel Riley got to do with Israel? She is British and I assume he is raising it to somehow flag her cultural heritage. If someone said go back home to any minority I would be equally enraged
  • Options

The petition threshold is very high. Wasn't reached with the NI MP who was suspended from the Commons for taking and not declaring gifts from other countries.
    I think being a convicted criminal is a v different matter.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

That's an unfair characterisation of what she did. It is true that she failed abysmally in the people-management aspect of building a consensus, but in terms of substantive positioning she has very much tried to come up with a compromise deal which should be acceptable to all sides. She's tried very hard to implement the letter and the spirit of the referendum vote, whilst keeping close ties with Europe and minimising the economic hit. Unfortunately she has catastrophically failed to prevent others from framing the deal as they want to, for their own purposes.
    Well let's take the most contentious issue - freedom of movement. Some huge percentage (~50%) of Leave voters cited it as being the most important issue. That makes (0.5 x 17.4)/(16.1 + 17.4) = 26% of voters cared about it. And yet it drove almost her entire approach.

Why even our very own @Richard_Tyndall would have been happy with continued FoM. Don't even get me started on the single market and customs union.

She instituted red lines before she had thought it through. It was designed to appeal to her hard Brexit wing as she knew (and of course she was right) that they would cause trouble and in any case, she was set on a hard Brexit herself.

No mitigation for this, Richard - she owns it.
  • Options

It's important to note that the Grieve amendment is not limited to requiring the PM to make a statement in the Commons with three days, it requires the government to hold a ‘plan B’ vote within three sitting days - i.e., by Monday week. So she will have just six days to extract meaningful concessions from the EU27.

I believe that MPs will be able to put forward alternatives (because of the previous Grieve amendment). Grieve seems single-handedly to be defining the process (well, someone has to, I suppose...).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Stephen Bush:

Bercow’s gamble was that he is protected by a double majority: that a majority of MPs will vote for Grieve’s amendment, meaning that he can say he is acting as he should as Speaker, and facilitating the will of the house, and that furthermore, he is protected by a majority of MPs who believe that he is on their side against the executive. Had that gamble been lost, Bercow would certainly have faced an organised and potentially successful attempt to oust him as Speaker. But it wasn’t, so he survives, protected by the one rule in Westminster that really matters.

But I’m not sure that the gamble will work out that well for Grieve himself and the other supporters of another In-Out referendum. Why? Well, because while they don’t agree with Theresa May on much, they do share an interest: which is to run out the clock to the point where they can cobble together a majority in parliament to secure another referendum, something they are presently not in a position to do. By shortening the amount of time that May has to delay, Grieve has also made it less likely that a parliamentary majority for a second referendum will ever emerge.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/01/what-does-john-bercow-s-unprecedented-action-mean-brexit-and-him
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Anazina said:

PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Hard-line Tories don`t.
    Yes, he had me fooled too.
    Not much of an achievement in either case.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Labour has, more or less anyway, said they'll support such a petition. The DUP made no such statement in the other case.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Layla is not going to stand.

Cable will stand down in the second quarter of this year. The media will talk up the possibility of Layla standing; she won't.
    The contest will be between Jo Swinson and Ed Davey, with Jo winning.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

Labour holds the council seat with a 2k majority
    Indeed. I know the two Labour councillors passingly: they're both moderates policy-wise (for all Susanna's fire and brimstone!) and seem to get on well with the neighbouring Lib Dem councillors. I doubt Oxford Labour will be making a big effort to take votes away from Layla and let the newly anointed Conservative candidate through in her place - a rather curious blockchain enthusiast from Berkshire, if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, could be wrong, but I believe the sequoia tree requires fire for its reproductive process. When a prolonged fire-free period happened, experts were initially baffled by this seeming to harm the sequoia's reproduction.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well let's take the most contentious issue - freedom of movement. Some huge percentage (~50%) of Leave voters cited it as being the most important issue. That makes (0.5 x 17.4)/(16.1 + 17.4) = 26% of voters cared about it. And yet it drove almost her entire approach.

Why even our very own @Richard_Tyndall would have been happy with continued FoM. Don't even get me started on the single market and customs union.

She instituted red lines before she had thought it through. It was designed to appeal to her hard Brexit wing as she knew (and of course she was right) that they would cause trouble and in any case, she was set on a hard Brexit herself.

Odd logic, speaking as a Leave voter who doesn't care about freedom of movement. You think 0.0% of Remain voters cared about freedom of movement?

I believe even a significant proportion of remain voters still prefer control over migration, just not enough to vote Leave.
  • Options

It's important to note that the Grieve amendment is not limited to requiring the PM to make a statement in the Commons within three days, it requires the government to hold a ‘plan B’ vote within three sitting days - i.e., by Monday week. So she will have just six days to extract meaningful concessions from the EU27.

it is of course pure nonsense what happens if she just sits on her hands and does nothing ?
    Plan B could be the same as Plan A with some frilly bits added. Unless parliament decides to dissolve she can sit there for the next 12 months. There arent the numbers to unseat the government unless large numbers of tories wish to hand the keys to Jezza. And the Tories cant unseat her until December. Really she can now piss them all about as they rely on her being responsible in a way MPs have not.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Odd logic, speaking as a Leave voter who doesn't care about freedom of movement. You think 0.0% of Remain voters cared about freedom of movement?

I believe even a significant proportion of remain voters still prefer control over migration, just not enough to vote Leave.
    Huh? I'm saying that as an issue for 25% of the electorate it would have been a candidate for compromise.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    stodge said:

Fairly predictably, I imagine some of the Conservative activists on here have been pretty negative about Layla. Well, that's to be expected. Any possible leader of any other party is immediately denigrated and mocked.

As for future Conservative leaders, well, the Tories do a very good line in parody and self-mockery which seems to consist of calling each other "sh1ts" or similar. Ho hum.

While I don't agree with her on policy (at least in this instance), I think if Layla Moran wants to be leader, fine, let her put herself forward and along with other Party members, I'll go to the hustings and see what she has to say.

She has impressed me thus far not least for wrenching Oxford West from the Conservatives last time. I do want to hear she would take the challenge to Labour and particularly how she could draw moderate Labour supporters toward the LDs.

The way she persuaded Lab tactical voters to the LDs, and for Greens to not field a candidate shows a degree of political persuasiveness much needed in the party.
  • Options

Still leaves the petition threshold very high. 10% of registered voters signing the petition is a significant proportion of people who'd actually vote in actual [non-General] elections. A lot of people may dislike having a convicted criminal there but not bother to sign the petition.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Some huge percentage" = 50% ?!?!?

Your conflation of those who considered it the "most important issue" with those who "cared about it" is just preposterous.
  • Options

Labour has, more or less anyway, said they'll support such a petition. The DUP made no such statement in the other case.
    And in any case, she'll still be out if she's sentenced to 12 months or more, which has to be quite likely. There is the possibility of appeal, though lawyers here will be able to advise on (1) whether she'd be granted an appeal - I presume you have to make a case as to why you'd be entitled to one - and (2) how long it'd be likely to take if the case does go on?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Huh? I'm saying that as an issue for 25% of the electorate it would have been a candidate for compromise.
    Its not an issue for 25% of the electorate.

You're saying that half of 52% view it as an issue which makes 26%, but you're then acting as if zero remain voters care about it. If even a third of remain voters want control of migration out of Brexit then that is a further 16% not 0%.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You are assuming that anyone who didn't vote Leave and who didn't put FoM down as the most important issue wasn't fussed about FoM. That's plainly wrong. Many people who voted Leave who wouldn't have put it first would nonetheless have put it as important, and many people who voted Remain did so despite not wanting FoM to continue unchanged.

A form of Brexit which left FoM untouched would be a complete travesty.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You're contradiction yourself left, right and centre. For the record I don't care about FOM but poll after poll suggested it's a big issue for remain voters and a huge issue for leave voters.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Let's see if he blames it on auto-correct. :wink:
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Your conflation of those who considered it the "most important issue" with those who "cared about it" is just preposterous.
    So what are you saying? It's too high or too low? Help me here what point are you making?

(If it is to agree with me then brilliant post.)
  • Options

There won't be a Plan B: it'll be Plan A again. Nothing has changed.

And in reality, nothing has changed. The government cannot magic up a Norway Plus agreement from thin air. The only solutions are Deal, No Deal and Remain: the same as they always were.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

She's tried very hard to implement the letter and the spirit of the referendum vote, whilst keeping close ties with Europe and minimising the economic hit. Unfortunately she has catastrophically failed to prevent others from framing the deal as they want to, for their own purposes.

And is still trying.

Her biggest mistake has nothing to do with her approach to Brexit. It was calling and then botching the 2017 general election.

Regarding the 'framing' of the deal, yes, spot on. The deal should not be referred to as 'the deal'. It should be called 'a negotiated exit from the European Union'.

Random 'honourable' member stands up in the House or hits the TV studios:

"I respect the result of the 2016 referendum, of course I do, but I'm sorry I just cannot support a negotiated exit from the European Union."

See the difference?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Its like implying if you think education is a more important issue than the NHS you don't care about the NHS!

You could equally quote other polls like this one which suggested 86% of Tory and two thirds of Labour voters wanted to reduce EU immigration. - which implies at the least they want some sort of reform/ending of freedom of movement or at least restricting access to welfare.

But like support for a people's vote on the deal vs a second referendum on Brexit voters responses to polls depend on the question asked - even if the options are the same in effect!

https://www.politico.eu/article/poll-three-quarters-of-brits-back-dramatic-fall-in-immigration/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Probably got more chance than most of smoking out the labour position. I heard their spokesman getting very angry with Sarah Montague for trying to do just that on the World at One. They are not only letting the Tories of the hook but making themselves seem foolish into the bargain
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

TOPPING said:

You are assuming that anyone who didn't vote Leave and who didn't put FoM down as the most important issue wasn't fussed about FoM. That's plainly wrong. Many people who voted Leave who wouldn't have put it first would nonetheless have put it as important, and many people who voted Remain did so despite not wanting FoM to continue unchanged.

I voted remain but am certainly in favour of a lower YoY population...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Mr. Herdson, quite.

This agitating against the deal, and also opposed to no deal, need to actually decide what they're for.

Intriguing that momentum may've shifted against May's deal. Given it was seen as a dead duck back in December, that's almost impressive.

Edited extra bit: those*

I just tweeted about proofreading and almost missed a typo in it. :p
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

The way she persuaded Lab tactical voters to the LDs, and for Greens to not field a candidate shows a degree of political persuasiveness much needed in the party.
    I think that might be somewhat overstating her personal role in that movement

A lot of the vote shift seemed to happen in the Ab part of the constituency which had been heading in that direction significantly at council level.

I have no recollection of seeing her being personally active in driving any particular tactical agenda. There were those at work on it but it seemed to be from Labour modereates looking for a new home.

There was zero LD canvassing in my part of Jericho and very little leafleting.
  • Options
    We need to end this dangerous brinkmanship by HMG and put some structure in place. Well done Grieve.

It really is the quiet ones you have to watch.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

TOPPING said:

Brexit means Brexit, ie. leaving the EU. There was nothing on the ballot paper about what form Brexit should take.
  • Options

And in reality, nothing has changed. The government cannot magic up a Norway Plus agreement from thin air. The only solutions are Deal, No Deal and Remain: the same as they always were.
    And the problem remains - Parliament seems clear what it doesn't want but can't agree on what it does want.
  • Options
    Brom said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You're contradiction yourself left, right and centre. For the record I don't care about FOM but poll after poll suggested it's a big issue for remain voters and a huge issue for leave voters.
    Fine so up the percentage. Make it 50% of everyone who voted. So what? It was only 50% of everyone who voted. It wasn't 90%.

And I'm sure PB is the only place in the country where most Leavers don't care about FoM.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

They could substitute the backstop with re-entry if a permanent deal is not agreed after X years.

That could pass HoC, satisfy the 2016 referendum and give all sides something to aim for. Alas. Will never happen.
  • Options

JRM thinks no debate is required. Who's right?

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1083011590507687936
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well we could have implemented some of the various tools available to us while we were a member.

And I disagree with your "travesty". Politics is about compromise.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Something else I find puzzling. Why would the president of the USA not get someone to check his spelling?
    (1) He's too arrogant to admit he has a problem with spelling.
    (2) He thinks bad spelling helps him because many of his supporters have the same problem.
  • Options
    Missed the Business Motion shenanigans... was the vote set for next Tuesday?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Something else I find puzzling. Why would the president of the USA not get someone to check his spelling?
    (2) He thinks bad spelling helps him because many of his supporters have the same problem.
    (1)
  • Options

Still leaves the petition threshold very high. 10% of registered voters signing the petition is a significant proportion of people who'd actually vote in actual [non-General] elections. A lot of people may dislike having a convicted criminal there but not bother to sign the petition.
    The electorate numbered 70,723 as best I can make out at the time of the 2017GE, so the threshold would be around 7,073.

The recall petition in North Antrim only just fell short at 7,099 of the 7,543 signatures required. With her own party against her, as well as the opposition, you would hope that the petition would succeed.
  • Options

Chris said:

(1)
    With a combination of

(3) He doesn't care enough about spelling to get it right.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

TOPPING said:

What Topping said was a very fair characterisation. May made Brexit a Tory party project from day 1. Thereby she made exactly the same mistake Cameron did by leading the Remain campaign. PMs are wise not to forget that though they have enormous power, it was given to them by only about 40% of the electorate.

It's laughable to say that she's tried to come up with a compromise deal - she's got the best deal she can based on what she wants.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    edited January 2019
    Where the eff does the imbecile in the White House think the Federal government gets its money from ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well we could have implemented some of the various tools available to us while we were a member.

And I disagree with your "travesty". Politics is about compromise.
    but the point is we didnt and a sizeable chumk of the electorate didnt think the government ever would.

if UK governments had taken on board voters concerns earlier there would never have been a Brexit.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Its like implying if you think education is a more important issue than the NHS you don't care about the NHS!

You could equally quote other polls like this one which suggested 86% of Tory and two thirds of Labour voters wanted to reduce EU immigration. - which implies at the least they want some sort of reform/ending of freedom of movement or at least restricting access to welfare.

But like support for a people's vote on the deal vs a second referendum on Brexit voters responses to polls depend on the question asked - even if the options are the same in effect!

https://www.politico.eu/article/poll-three-quarters-of-brits-back-dramatic-fall-in-immigration/

But that wasn't the option they were given at the referendum. As @Dadge has pointed out, that was not a choice they were asked to make. Although the loons have got hold of the Conch shell, and they would have you believe otherwise, it really is the case that Norway is not in the EU. Amazing, yes, but that is the case.

So the ballot paper asked us if, amongst other options, we might like to be like Norway. Not a sausage about the foreigners.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

JRM thinks no debate is required. Who's right?

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1083011590507687936
    Maybe MPs should hold another vote on the Grieve amendment as its possible some MPs were not clear what they were voting for?!

Its been a hour since the vote and amidst the drama there has been little attempt to drill down what this means and what the processe required is on Sky or the BBC.

Could Andrea Leadsom announce parliament will rise on Tuesday evening - see you in 21 days - so 3 sitting days could be 24 days later? In theory yes - in practice of course no - but could May stall for time over sitting days?
This discussion has been closed.