Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Layla Moran now becomes favourite to become next LD leader

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dunno why May doesn't just say her plan B is no deal Brexit.

As it is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

kle4 said:

Corbyn is a genius when it comes to brexit.
    Hardly. Just shows he doesn’t know and doesn’t care. To him, Brexit is a means to Downing St; nothing else.

Just a shame that Tories like Grieve seem to be doing their best to help him.
    I did not mean to suggest genius meant he cared or knew much about it. But his position on it, his cynical open position, ensures remainers and leavers stay on board.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited January 2019

Who are these 'others'? The SNP? The LibDems? Labour, whose position was the entirely cynical one of voting against whatever deal she came back with?

She does have a Parliamentary majority. She merely has to get her own party and her DUP partners to back the deal. She has no need of Labour support.
    Sure, but you can't have it both ways - was she pandering too much to the ERG and not enough to Labour MPs, or vice versa?
    It would certainly have been interesting had, after the vote, she signalled to Labour that she was going to erect a big tent and they were invited (as would have been the SNP, LDs, ERG and, whisper it, maybe even UKIP).

Now of course all that lot held and hold supposedly diametrically opposing views but it is amazing what being given a shot at power does to the ability to compromise (cf. Lib Dems).

Even a cross-party commission or something would have been ok.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Bullcrap he has an open mind on it. But I guess he's got to say that.
    Starmer is a damn sight better than whoever is May's Brexit Sec this week. May could do with his help.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    FF43 said:

Genuine question: is May's Deal a runner?

If it isn't, I think the only viable alternatives are:

1. Recognise the UK doesn't have a clue about Brexit. Exit anyway on EU terms to completely blind Brexit and worry about what happens later. We have 20 months to sort that out until the transition period comes to an end.

2. Remain.

No Deal isn't serious. I don't expect starvation but it is predicated on never at any time having an arrangement of any kind with the EU. Which is nonsense. Otherwise we are dependent on the whim of the EU for stuff that we need, who can demand what they want in return and can switch off the arrangement at any time of their choosing. It is an absurdly weak position to put ourselves into.

Er... we cannot do 1. if May's Deal is rejected.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Mentioning Trump, worth noting in passing that today is Day 19 of the shutdown. What I find surprising is the lack of urgency on all sides. I'm sure I recall in the two previous prolonged shutdowns (1995-6 and 2013), there were more-or-less continuous talks and votes at this stage.

This is only the third time since the shutdown process became a possibility (in 1976), that federal employees have been furloughed for more than a week. It does feel like both sides are settling in for a much longer timeframe. That is going to cause a lot of people a lot of hardship.

Feel very sorry for guys at the sharp end. Of course Trump's under the impression they all think it's worth it!
  • Options
    Likely true, but irrelevant. It's not like 75 labour mps are about to change position.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    Jonathan said:

I suspect that some Brexiteers are quite looking forward to us staying in and griping endlessly about betrayal without actually having to deliver anything.

Whereas Remain MPs can simply continue to get paid for doing nothing but what Brussels tells them
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I suspect that some Brexiteers are quite looking forward to us staying in and griping endlessly about betrayal without actually having to deliver anything.

Please can we leave to avoid that, if for no other reason.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TOPPING said:

Who are these 'others'? The SNP? The LibDems? Labour, whose position was the entirely cynical one of voting against whatever deal she came back with?

She does have a Parliamentary majority. She merely has to get her own party and her DUP partners to back the deal. She has no need of Labour support.
    Sure, but you can't have it both ways - was she pandering too much to the ERG and not enough to Labour MPs, or vice versa?
    It would certainly have been interesting had, after the vote, she signalled to Labour that she was going to erect a big tent and they were invited (as would have been the SNP, LDs, ERG and, whisper it, maybe even UKIP).

Now of course all that lot held and hold supposedly diametrically opposing views but it is amazing what being given a shot at power does to the ability to compromise (cf. Lib Dems).

Even a cross-party commission or something would have been ok.
    It would certainly have been possible to have erected a broader tent than pandering to the ERG using extreme rhetoric about citizens of nowhere, raising their hopes to unrealistic levels and completely alienating unbelievers in Brexit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

The day the Brexit died.

Bye bye, Miss American Pie

Probably. Certainly the beginning of the end for parliamentary democracy as we know it. Party manifestos have clearly lost all meaning and purpose.
    Then I am quite looking forward to the upcoming EU elections....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

1. Recognise the UK doesn't have a clue about Brexit. Exit anyway on EU terms to completely blind Brexit and worry about what happens later. We have 20 months to sort that out until the transition period comes to an end.

2. Remain.

No Deal isn't serious. I don't expect starvation but it is predicated on never at any time having an arrangement of any kind with the EU. Which is nonsense. Otherwise we are dependent on the whim of the EU for stuff that we need, who can demand what they want in return and can switch off the arrangement at any time of their choosing. It is an absurdly weak position to put ourselves into.

That is an idiotic definition of No Deal. All 'No Deal' means is not this deal. If the EU came along with a deal that satisfied the ERG lot (I am not saying the would or should) or if they came along with individual deals in specific areas to try and mitigate the issues on a case by case basis for each side then I don't think there is a single person in Parliament who would refuse to do those deals.

Your definition is utterly nonsensical.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    kle4 said:

Likely true, but irrelevant. It's not like 75 labour mps are about to change position.
    no just caught a bit of him on TV hes as clueless as the rest of them.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited January 2019

FF43 said:

2. Remain.

Er... we cannot do 1. if May's Deal is rejected.
    It would leave open the possibility of EEA type arrangements, or even May's deal later. The point is, we wouldn't decide anything except the fact of leaving.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Pulpstar said:

Maybe May will resign if her deal is rejected .God knows she's tried hard enough

She should. But then, she should have put the deal to the vote a month ago and resigned gracefully then.
    To resign now (or then) would have been to potentially clog up much of the remaining time with a Tory leadership election and virtually paralyse the government. That, no doubt, was a large part of the thinking in Con MP's minds in keepting her in post.

If there was a time for her to have gone, it was either after the election or last summer, after Chequers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Chris said:

Something else I find puzzling. Why would the president of the USA not get someone to check his spelling?
    (1) He's too arrogant to admit he has a problem with spelling.
    (2) He thinks bad spelling helps him because many of his supporters have the same problem.
    Auto-correct affects even stable geniuses like myself, it really is the bane of my life.

I'll never forget the time an ex girlfriend reported me to the RSPCA when she received a text from me saying 'I can't wait to get home and kick your puppy'
    the variations on that are quite startling
    I'm just glad when I was young and feckless mobile phones didn't let you take pictures/videos of my fecklessness.
    you would really have enjoyed the days when there were no mobile phones
    I don't think so. That 24 hours that o2 went down for, I felt like I had become Amish for the day.
    thats just going cold turkey

these days I put the ringer to zero and no calls after 19.00, Bliss. You can do your own stuff without people annoying you. Sleep better too.
    There's a programme about twins coming up, where they did tests and proved that just having a mobile phone on significantly reduces your IQ......

Which might just explain all those enraptured by Apple products.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

Jonathan said:

Whereas Remain MPs can simply continue to get paid for doing nothing but what Brussels tells them
    If you're going to play that stupid game, then leave MPs are willing to bend over backwards and take it from Putin. ;)

If given a choice between the EU and Putin I'd take the Eu every time. Although at least one Brexiteer on here chooses Putin ...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

FF43 said:

2. Remain.

That is an idiotic definition of No Deal. All 'No Deal' means is not this deal. If the EU came along with a deal that satisfied the ERG lot (I am not saying the would or should) or if they came along with individual deals in specific areas to try and mitigate the issues on a case by case basis for each side then I don't think there is a single person in Parliament who would refuse to do those deals.

And yet how many Brexiters have told us that we should have "No Deal" as an option if there were to be a referendum.

Plus I don't think an EU deal has been devised, not even if it promised free fox red labradors for all, that the ERG would accept.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

FF43 said:

2. Remain.

The EU isn't going to offer an alternative deal; they have said that from the start, and have been frustrated at the UK's inability to articulate what it wanted. And the potential alternatives such as permanent CU and/or EEA are less acceptable to the ERG than May's deal, anyway. No deal means leaving without any of these agreements to smooth our path, and it is ridiculous to try and suggest that it simply means anything other than May's WA.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

The day the Brexit died.

Bye bye, Miss American Pie.

I wonder. But, yes, food for thought. With apologies to Swiss Tony, could it be that Brexit is just like making love to a beautiful woman? ... not going to happen.

Surely not. We had a referendum.

Massive, it was! Whole country got involved.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    brendan16 said:

And what happens if they reject no deal, a second vote and article 50 extension - as is quite possible? What happens when no option is agreed?
    If the politicians can't agree then it will have to be put to the people (GE or Referendum).
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

But whatever is delivered in the real world will never be enough anyway, and they will continue to gripe, probably about betrayal. The only thing that would satisfy them is the EU disappearing altogether. Which was always extremely unlikely and thanks to the Brexiters now looks even more so.
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    Are there enough Lib Dems to form a quorum?
  • Options

The day the Brexit died.

Reports of Brexit's death are greatly exaggerated ( I regret to think). It is impossible that the Brexit cancer that is in the country's brain can easily be removed even by the greatest of brain surgeons, let alone Mr "2Es" Corbyn or Theresa "fields of wheat" May
    Your metaphors simply reflect your own bleak outlook on the world as a whole.

Brexit is clear, flowing stream water, fresh from the chalk spring. However much you might try to dam it, it will always find a way to break through and refresh the souls of those who have come to drink from its pools. .

There now, isn't that a much nicer way to look at the world? :)
  • Options
    edited January 2019

The day the Brexit died.

Reports of Brexit's death are greatly exaggerated ( I regret to think). It is impossible that the Brexit cancer that is in the country's brain can easily be removed even by the greatest of brain surgeons, let alone Mr "2Es" Corbyn or Theresa "fields of wheat" May

Brexit is clear, flowing stream water, fresh from the chalk spring. However much you might try to dam it, it will always find a way to break through and refresh the souls of those who have come to drink from its pools. .

Not really. The sadness is that it will probably only die when it is seen and found to be the poison it is.
  • Options

The day the Brexit died.

Beautiful, Richard, and don't forget the unicorns. :-)
  • Options

The day the Brexit died.

Here's hoping the water table drops! :wink:
  • Options

The day the Brexit died.

They say the next wars will be about water......
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

If we remain - welcome to the next 20 years and 4 general elections.
  • Options

Chris said:

Something else I find puzzling. Why would the president of the USA not get someone to check his spelling?
    (2) He thinks bad spelling helps him because many of his supporters have the same problem.
    Auto-correct affects even stable geniuses like myself, it really is the bane of my life.

I'll never forget the time an ex girlfriend reported me to the RSPCA when she received a text from me saying 'I can't wait to get home and kick your puppy'
    I'm just glad when I was young and feckless mobile phones didn't let you take pictures/videos of my fecklessness.
    I don't think so. That 24 hours that o2 went down for, I felt like I had become Amish for the day.

these days I put the ringer to zero and no calls after 19.00, Bliss. You can do your own stuff without people annoying you. Sleep better too.
    There's a programme about twins coming up, where they did tests and proved that just having a mobile phone on significantly reduces your IQ......

Is that about the damage mobile phones allegedly do to your brain?
  • Options
    Awb683 said:

Are there enough Lib Dems to form a quorum?

Are there enough people who care?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Jonathan said:

Indeed so. The boundless whinefest is like a never-ending wet dream for those of a europhobic persuasion.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Not really. The sadness is that it will probably only die when it is seen and found to be the poison it is.
    Like I said, your metaphors reflect the inner bleakness of your soul which darkens the way you see the whole world. I do honestly pity you unreconciled Remainers.
  • Options

The day the Brexit died.

Beautiful, Richard, and don't forget the unicorns. :-)
    :) I prefer Owls. Lots of Owls.
  • Options

Mentioning Trump, worth noting in passing that today is Day 19 of the shutdown. What I find surprising is the lack of urgency on all sides. I'm sure I recall in the two previous prolonged shutdowns (1995-6 and 2013), there were more-or-less continuous talks and votes at this stage.

This is only the third time since the shutdown process became a possibility (in 1976), that federal employees have been furloughed for more than a week. It does feel like both sides are settling in for a much longer timeframe. That is going to cause a lot of people a lot of hardship.

It is disgraceful that federal employees don't get paid while this politicking goes on above their heads. It is the act of a banana republic. Suspend government if you must, but know your duty to your employees.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120

Chris said:

Dadge said:

TOPPING said:

Well let's take the most contentious issue - freedom of movement. Some huge percentage (~50%) of Leave voters cited it as being the most important issue. That makes (0.5 x 17.4)/(16.1 + 17.4) = 26% of voters cared about it. And yet it drove almost her entire approach.

Why even our very own @Richard_Tyndall would have been happy with continued FoM. Don't even get me started on the single market and customs union.

She instituted red lines before she had thought it through. It was designed to appeal to her hard Brexit wing as she knew (and of course she was right) that they would cause trouble and in any case, she was set on a hard Brexit herself.

No mitigation for this, Richard - she owns it.

You are assuming that anyone who didn't vote Leave and who didn't put FoM down as the most important issue wasn't fussed about FoM. That's plainly wrong. Many people who voted Leave who wouldn't have put it first would nonetheless have put it as important, and many people who voted Remain did so despite not wanting FoM to continue unchanged.

A form of Brexit which left FoM untouched would be a complete travesty.
    Brexit means Brexit, ie. leaving the EU. There was nothing on the ballot paper about what form Brexit should take.
    No, but there was plenty in the Leave campaigns' material, which can't simply be ignored in delivering what people thought they were voting for. It included taking back control of our borders, negotiating an orderly exit from the EU, negotiating a comprehensive trade deal with the EU, and being in a position to do trade deals elsewhere.
    On that basis, the absence of £350m a week more funding for the NHS is a good reason to vote against Theresa May's Brexit deal. Or any Brexit proposal.
    Well, that was always impossible, so hardly counts one way or the other.
    But if impossible goals don't count, doesn't a lot of the other stuff disappear as well? Especially if taken in combination. Free trade without freedom of movement?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    What the heck is Starmer on about. We want a customs union but not the customs union a super duper labour customs union. We want a single market but not the single market a special single market.

It is just massive cakeism.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Bullcrap he has an open mind on it. But I guess he's got to say that.
    Starmer is a damn sight better than whoever is May's Brexit Sec this week. May could do with his help.
    Oh I agree. But he is openly joking if he pretends his mind is open.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    As we bewail the inadequacies of our MPs lets spare a thought Emmanuel Macron who is doing him damnedest to make the UK look competent.

His big effort to unite the nation hasnt even got off the ground and the chair has resigned because of a salry dispute.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2019/01/09/25001-20190109ARTFIG00179-retrait-de-jouanno-l-opposition-juge-le-debat-national-mort-ne.php

meantime voters are now starting to turn out wherever he goes to tell him to clear off back to the Elysee

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2019/01/09/97001-20190109FILWWW00259-plus-de-100-personnes-a-creteil-contre-la-venue-de-macron.php
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Like I said, your metaphors reflect the inner bleakness of your soul which darkens the way you see the whole world. I do honestly pity you unreconciled Remainers.
    I'm more optimistic than Ian. The Brexit cancer is responding well to the treatment being applied by Dr May and the patient should be in partial remission before too long.
  • Options

What the heck is Starmer on about. We want a customs union but not the customs union a super duper labour customs union. We want a single market but not the single market a special single market.

He's pretending leave is possible as long as they can so the switch to remain looks reluctant.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Malph, sounds like the 2010 election.

"Don't vote for cruel Conservative cuts. Vote for nice Labour cuts."
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

The United States of Europe. Political capital: Brussels. Financial capital: London. Manufacturing power house: Munich. People coming and going East, West, North and South.
  • Options
    Don't forget the lack of momentum for Leave. Nothing has gone their way since the took over the government in July 2016. The polling has moved against them, the House of Commons became notionally even more Remain in 2017. Most of the claims of the Leave campaign have bern dynamited by reality and Brexiters themselves have split on the way forward. You need to see Brexit as a rocket that has still being going up for 2 + years but never achieved escape velocity. That's a key reason May's vassalage deal is so dreadful. Anything more internally coherent and clear would be even less popular.

This is of course entirely Brexiters fault. They've never ever acted like they were nursing a tiny 3.8% majority and facing a 2.5 year marathon between the referendum result and any Brexit day which was fraught with peril. It's a mixture of imperial overstretch pushing a very narrow win far too far and the crypto facistic " will of the people " stuff. The belief that one single marginal election result entitles them to the single biggest political change in post War history with no follow up work. They've acted like a screaming toddler demanding sweets at the checkout since 2016 and just haven't done the work.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Maybe May will resign if her deal is rejected .God knows she's tried hard enough

She should. But then, she should have put the deal to the vote a month ago and resigned gracefully then.
    To resign now (or then) would have been to potentially clog up much of the remaining time with a Tory leadership election and virtually paralyse the government.
    In fairness, a 'virtually paralysed government' is almost indistinguishable from what we have now.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

I'm more optimistic than Ian. The Brexit cancer is responding well to the treatment being applied by Dr May and the patient should be in partial remission before too long.
    Ah, another one who looks at flowers and sees nothing but weeds.
  • Options

he really is deluded in a Tont Blair negotiating with Europe fashion
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

As we bewail the inadequacies of our MPs lets spare a thought Emmanuel Macron who is doing him damnedest to make the UK look competent.

His big effort to unite the nation hasnt even got off the ground and the chair has resigned because of a salry dispute.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2019/01/09/25001-20190109ARTFIG00179-retrait-de-jouanno-l-opposition-juge-le-debat-national-mort-ne.php

meantime voters are now starting to turn out wherever he goes to tell him to clear off back to the Elysee

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2019/01/09/97001-20190109FILWWW00259-plus-de-100-personnes-a-creteil-contre-la-venue-de-macron.php

It's hard to point to any first rate political leader in the West.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

The United States of Europe. Political capital: Brussels. Financial capital: London. Manufacturing power house: Munich. People coming and going East, West, North and South.
    It would once again place (geographic) Western Europe at the centre of the Western world.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, aye. But the pretence is about as subtle as a neon glowing alligator walking down Oxford Street.

Mr. Submarine, in that context, do you consider May or Robbins to be Brexiters? Prime responsibility must go to the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Don't forget the lack of momentum for Leave. Nothing has gone their way since the took over the government in July 2016. The polling has moved against them, the House of Commons became notionally even more Remain in 2017. Most of the claims of the Leave campaign have bern dynamited by reality and Brexiters themselves have split on the way forward. You need to see Brexit as a rocket that has still being going up for 2 + years but never achieved escape velocity. That's a key reason May's vassalage deal is so dreadful. Anything more internally coherent and clear would be even less popular.

This is of course entirely Brexiters fault. They've never ever acted like they were nursing a tiny 3.8% majority and facing a 2.5 year marathon between the referendum result and any Brexit day which was fraught with peril. It's a mixture of imperial overstretch pushing a very narrow win far too far and the crypto facistic " will of the people " stuff. The belief that one single marginal election result entitles them to the single biggest political change in post War history with no follow up work. They've acted like a screaming toddler demanding sweets at the checkout since 2016 and just haven't done the work.

You have to conclude that ultimately they didn't care enough about Brexit to work for it. Which makes you wonder what it is that they really want.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

nah the capital should be further East - Prague or Vienna
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The choices on offer are cake, more cake and the Emperor's new cake.

Luckily cake is not subject to VAT.
  • Options

I don't think Starmer is deluded, he's just not very good at lying.
  • Options

They've acted like a screaming toddler demanding sweets at the checkout since 2016

But without the charisma of Donald Trump.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, apparently Prague and Vienna are beautiful cities.

Inflicting an EU Parliament on them seems very unfair.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2019

Jonathan said:

If you're going to play that stupid game, then leave MPs are willing to bend over backwards and take it from Putin. ;)

If given a choice between the EU and Putin I'd take the Eu every time. Although at least one Brexiteer on here chooses Putin ...
    Stupid comment. Putin might be keen to see the break up of the EU or even Britain leave it but no more so than Trump. Proving involvement is rather more difficult.

Not too many Brexit supporters welcomed Putins’s aggression in Ukraine or welcomed his sanctioning Novichok in Salisbury. To pretend we are all Putin supporters is facile.

Parliament doing simply the EU’s bidding on the other hand has a long and undistinguished factual base.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited January 2019

I like the analogy of Brexit as a rocket that doesn’t achieve escape velocity. Remainers need to remember that if it returns to Earth, there will be an enormous explosion.
  • Options

You have to conclude that ultimately they didn't care enough about Brexit to work for it. Which makes you wonder what it is that they really want.
    That's obvious: more Europe!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Lot to be said for either. Vienna probably first out of those two. It's been a capital looking for a country since 1918.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Leave took over government in 2016? I must have missed that one.
  • Options

If Laura K spent nearly as much time getting serious background briefings from reliable official sources as she did tweeting dismal gags and platitudes, we'd be infinitely better informed as a nation.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

Though obviously he should be in the East :-)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Opposition benches look fuller than the government ones.....308 in favour 297 against.....a narrow win....

I'm surprised that the margin was that small.
    I too thought it would be 20+, and others thought it would be even higher. I wonder if Bercows antics brought some on the government side into line....

While 11 is clearly a "loss" its hardly a "humiliation"....
    Any loss will always be called a humiliation. And in fairness the shambles the government is in can quite rightly be called humiliating I think
    Spot on.

The pisspoor attempts to deflect by the true believers are utterly risible.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I don't think Starmer is deluded, he's just not very good at lying.
    I am also too honest for politics.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, apparently Prague and Vienna are beautiful cities.

Inflicting an EU Parliament on them seems very unfair.

Vienna already has the infastructure for running a multi ethnic empire. All those big palaces and public buildings and no one to boss about/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Sean_F said:

The most popular western politician (Within their own country) right now is Salvini I think.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, didn't do a terribly good job, did they? Fitting, at least :p
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

A genuine nightmare that would shortly collapse into rebellion and civil war.
  • Options

The Conservative MPs made a enormous mistake letting a Remainer become PM in 2016.

The party will pay for that perhaps fatally if Brexit is postponed or cancelled.

The Con remainers simply have no answer as to what happens next.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, didn't do a terribly good job, did they? Fitting, at least :p

well anywhere has to be an improvement on the dive. that is Brussels. Even Crawley would be better.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

The most popular western politician (Within their own country) right now is Salvini I think.
    I think the talent pool dried up from 2000 onwards.
  • Options

To whine endlessly and blame all of life's ills on Europe, just as they ever did?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    RobD said:

Leave took over government in 2016? I must have missed that one.
    And then managed to lose the CON majority in June 2017
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

Jonathan said:

Stupid comment. Putin might be keen to see the break up of the EU or even Britain leave it but no more so Trump. Proving involvement is rather more difficult.

Not too many Brexit supporters welcomed Putins’s aggression in Ukraine or welcomed his sanctioning Novichok in Salisbury. To pretend we are all Putin supporters is facile.

Parliament doing simply the EU’s bidding on the other hand has a long and undistinguished factual base.
    Many Brexit supporters have said they'd see harm caused to Britain in order to get their wet-dream of being outside the EU. That harm means real people's jobs, incomes and lives.

That's your side. As I said above, one Brexiteer on here even said he'd prefer Putin.

Brexiteers a re traitorous winnets, one and all.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

Putin has squandered the fruits of the 2000s commodity boom. His country is losing its position in defence technology, and there is a huge brain drain to Europe. He has returned Crimea to Russia at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and the permanent alienation of Ukraine.

The best future for Russia is integration with the West to avoid becoming China’s fuel tank. Putin’s rule has made that almost impossible.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Just have London as capital of everything. It is by far the greatest city in the world.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Just have London as capital of everything. It is by far the greatest city in the world.
    Id sooner have Newry
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

Putin has squandered the fruits of the 2000s commodity boom. His country is losing its position in defence technology, and there is a huge brain drain to Europe. He has returned Crimea to Russia at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and the permanent alienation of Ukraine.

The best future for Russia is integration with the West to avoid becoming China’s fuel tank. Putin’s rule has made that almost impossible.
    you do understand the smiley means a joke ?
  • Options

This is beginning to sound like a post-mortem.

For some reason, it does feel as though the soul of Brexit is departing.
  • Options
    Sorry, but who is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? (I ask because Brendan's exploded over her https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/01/09/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-the-female-justin-trudeau/)
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Id sooner have Newry
    I once went out with a girl from Newry, In courting I asked her if she had seen a recent film, she said "No the cinema was bombed." I was a lot more circumspect in my conversation after that.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Only as a result of action by petty nationalist xenophobes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Baroness Boothroyd overheard critisising Bercow now. His behaviour today "an utter disgrace"

https://order-order.com/2019/01/09/boothroyd-bercows-behaviour-disgusting-absolute-utter-disgrace/

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Sorry to mention betting, but Betfair's implied probabilities as to the date of Brexit are:
    Jan-Mar 2019: 34%
    Apr-Dec 2019: 28%

Do people think that's right? That even conditional on the Brexit timetable being extended, there would still be a 42% probability of leaving by the end of the year?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

To resign now (or then) would have been to potentially clog up much of the remaining time with a Tory leadership election and virtually paralyse the government.
    In fairness, a 'virtually paralysed government' is almost indistinguishable from what we have now.
    Yes, but that's not (entirely) May's fault.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

I thought self-determination was a big thing these days?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

you do understand the smiley means a joke ?
    You might want to use an emoji. It is 2019 :wink:
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

On the other hand the brain drain means that Russia has never been more socially integrated with the West. Russia is just a Suez crisis away from reorientation.
  • Options

Sorry, but who is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? (I ask because Brendan's exploded over her https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/01/09/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-the-female-justin-trudeau/)

One of the new intake of Democratic Congresswomen. From New York.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    TGOHF said:

The Conservative MPs made a enormous mistake letting a Remainer become PM in 2016.

The party will pay for that perhaps fatally if Brexit is postponed or cancelled.

The Con remainers simply have no answer as to what happens next.
    Should have gone for Gove over Leadsom in the final round of MP voting.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

why do you keep picking on the Germans ?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

Good to see you show your true allegiance. When will the other Brexit supporters follow suit? If your idea of a first rate political leader is someone who is an international thug who has no respect for the rule of law or any sense of decency, it says a lot about people with your political leanings. I am not surprised though.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

why do you keep picking on the Germans ?
    LOL. The Flemish can do a pretty fair job, too!😉
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

The day the Brexit died.

Sad to see you siding with the anti-democrats and dictators. I do wonder where this hatred of self determination came from given the lessons of only 70 odd years ago.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

Good to see you show your true allegiance. When will the other Brexit supporters follow suit? If your idea of a first rate political leader is someone who is an international thug who has no respect for the rule of law or any sense of decency, it says a lot about people with your political leanings. I am not surprised though.
    I prefer Tommy Robinson.
  • Options

Chris said:

Is that about the damage mobile phones allegedly do to your brain?
    No, it seems it is about the innate distraction just having one present that might go off does to our powers of concentration.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Sad to see you siding with the anti-democrats and dictators. I do wonder where this hatred of self determination came from given the lessons of only 70 odd years ago.

Putin is massively pro-Brexit.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Vladimir Putin.

Always interting to hear views from the dog loving community
  • Options

Putin is massively pro-Brexit.
    So? Brexiteers aren't massively pro-Putin.
This discussion has been closed.