Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Article 50 exit date gets deferred it could raise doubt

Comments

• Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Can't we just make Good Friday the first Friday in April? A lot easier.

The Easter Act 1928 makes it the mostly the second Friday in April http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/18-19/35/contents
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    Chris_A said:

There's also some unexpected and unusual repetitions in the dates of Easter too. For instance the Easters we're all living through from 1948 to 2047 will repeat exactly between 2100 and 2199.

Remarkable when you consider 2000 was a leap year yet 2100 won't be.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

There's also some unexpected and unusual repetitions in the dates of Easter too. For instance the Easters we're all living through from 1948 to 2047 will repeat exactly between 2100 and 2199.

Easter was on January 1st this year. Our village Co-Op had Easter eggs on the shelf, so it must be Easter.
    IIRC Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal equinox, and as a result of the attentuation of cycles in both the Gregorian calendar and lunar calendars, has a periodicity that repeats every 22,000 thousand years or so.
    5,700,000 years in the Gregorian calendar or 532 in the Julian.
    They should just pick a date and stick with it.
    I'm going to become Pope just so I can say "Easter is the last Sunday in March, IDIOTS" and then die immediately.
    Dude, the Synod of Whitby should tell you it’s not that easy.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    RobD said:

And when it clashes with that other holiday, April fools day? :p
    *comes back from dead*

HA HA I'M NOT DEAD APRIL FOOL

*shakes fist at Jesus*
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Easter was on January 1st this year. Our village Co-Op had Easter eggs on the shelf, so it must be Easter.
    IIRC Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal equinox, and as a result of the attentuation of cycles in both the Gregorian calendar and lunar calendars, has a periodicity that repeats every 22,000 thousand years or so.
    I'm going to become Pope just so I can say "Easter is the last Sunday in March, IDIOTS" and then die immediately.
    You might have to clean up your language prior
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited January 2019

There’s an Act of Parliament to standardise Easter that has passed but never come into force:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Act_1928

It could be implemented quickly.

EDIT I see @Chris_A got there first.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I want to see the stats of easter eggs sold each easter period to mean easter date.

I don't know why really,I'm just a bit bored.
    And one of the Acts amended by the Easter Act - the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 - you just don't get introductions to acts like this anymore:

Whereas the legal supputation of the year of our Lord in England, according to which the year beginneth on the twenty-fifth day of March, hath been found by experience to be attended with divers inconveniences, not only as it differs from the usage of neighbouring nations, but also from the legal method of computation in Scotland, and from the common usage throughout the whole kingdom, and thereby frequent mistakes are occasioned in the dates of deeds and other writings, and disputes arise therefrom: And whereas the calendar now in use throughout all his Majesty’s British dominions, commonly called The Julian Calendar, hath been discovered to be erroneous, by means whereof the vernal or spring equinox, which at the time of the general council of Nice in the year of our Lord three hundred and twenty-five happened on or about the twenty-first day of March, now happens on the ninth or tenth day of the same month; and the said error is still increasing, and if not remedied would in process of time occasion the several equinoxes and solstices to fall at very different times in the civil year from what they formerly did, which might tend to mislead persons ignorant of the said alteration: And whereas a method of correcting the calendar in such manner as that the equinoxes and solstices may for the future fall nearly on the same nominal days on which the same happened at the time of the said general council hath been received and established, and is now generally practised by almost all other nations of Europe: And whereas it will be of general convenience to merchants and other persons corresponding with other nations and countries, and tend to prevent mistakes and disputes in or concerning the dates of letters and accounts, if the like correction be received and established in his Majesty’s dominions:
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

You might have to clean up your language prior
    Nah, I just need to swear in ecclesiastic Latin.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,288
    edited January 2019
    IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Er... it would be more remarkable if 2000 hadn't been a leap year.
    edited January 2019
    IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Yes so you can't quite save up all your calendars to reuse! Still when we're reduced to penury after 29th March there will still be 99 calendars we can put to good use again.
    +++ YOUGOV POLL KLAXON +++

Half of Americans wouldn’t be able to tell that a Briton is calling them an idiot, finds our new study on British subtext

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1083653642048208897
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    Today I bought my second pack of hot cross buns of the year.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Chris_A said:

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Yes so you can't quite save up all your calendars to reuse! Still when we're reduced to penury after 29th March there will still be 99 calendars we can put to good use again.
    Phew! We can use that calendar warehouse space for something else!
  • Floater said:

Lewis Goodall of Sky said today that he has been surprised at how much support TM is gathering across the Country, as he reports from various locations

Support which is miraculous failing to appear in any poll or vote in Parliament. May's desperate rampers have been telling us the mood has been changing since before Christmas.

Here we are a month later. So where is it?

The mood hasn't changed. NOTHING has fucking changed.

All that useless twat has done is wasted a month of everyone's time.
    You are losing it. Make your point but unnecessary and abusive language demeans the author
    Stuff a bollock in it, grandad. None of us have got time for your triggered old duffer act.
    Can the moderators not intervene?
    Calm down dear.

Big_G loves it when I'm rude to him because he gets to tut at me in a disapproving paternalist fashion. It's basically a form of erotic roleplay.
    Actually I do not and I absolutely object to your language.

It is not funny, or clever, and is unacceptable.

You are feeding the troll
    No - I am calling it as I see it
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Chris_A said:

And one of the Acts amended by the Easter Act - the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 - you just don't get introductions to acts like this anymore:

Whereas the legal supputation of the year of our Lord in England, according to which the year beginneth on the twenty-fifth day of March, hath been found by experience to be attended with divers inconveniences, not only as it differs from the usage of neighbouring nations, but also from the legal method of computation in Scotland, and from the common usage throughout the whole kingdom, and thereby frequent mistakes are occasioned in the dates of deeds and other writings, and disputes arise therefrom: And whereas the calendar now in use throughout all his Majesty’s British dominions, commonly called The Julian Calendar, hath been discovered to be erroneous, by means whereof the vernal or spring equinox, which at the time of the general council of Nice in the year of our Lord three hundred and twenty-five happened on or about the twenty-first day of March, now happens on the ninth or tenth day of the same month; and the said error is still increasing, and if not remedied would in process of time occasion the several equinoxes and solstices to fall at very different times in the civil year from what they formerly did, which might tend to mislead persons ignorant of the said alteration: And whereas a method of correcting the calendar in such manner as that the equinoxes and solstices may for the future fall nearly on the same nominal days on which the same happened at the time of the said general council hath been received and established, and is now generally practised by almost all other nations of Europe: And whereas it will be of general convenience to merchants and other persons corresponding with other nations and countries, and tend to prevent mistakes and disputes in or concerning the dates of letters and accounts, if the like correction be received and established in his Majesty’s dominions:

That's some good legislation. I see it is most concerned to be of general convenience to business and people with international concerns. How times change.

Wait, year beginneth 25th March? We used to count the New Year from Easter? Why did we change that?

I mean thanks to the wonders of modern capitalism, Hot Cross Buns are now, I'm fairly certain, a year-round requisite. I'm also equally certain that they were not when I was a whelp.

There’s an Act of Parliament to standardise Easter that has passed but never come into force:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Act_1928

It could be implemented quickly.

EDIT I see @Chris_A got there first.
    Must be one of very few extant Acts of Parliament which still reference the League of Nations.

Half of Americans wouldn’t be able to tell that a Briton is calling them an idiot, finds our new study on British subtext

You see this sort of list quite a bit online, I wonder who cared sufficiently to have it polled.

Does that include Christmas Hot Cross Buns, aka panettone?
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It didn't say voting no wasn't. ;)
    More weasely than a ginger haired character from Harry Potter stroking a member of the mustelidae family.
    Technically correct, the best kind of correct.
    That just reminds me that Futurama is 19 years old now. Where did the time go?
    If it makes you feel any better, we're coming up to the 20th anniversary of the launch of Loose Women.

Actually that might not make you feel any better at all, but I'm proud of my achievement of only becoming aware of the show's existence two years ago, thereby saving myself 90% of the horror. (Due to the inescapable laws of mathematics, a fraction that will sadly decline the longer the show lasts, though if I'm really lucky I shall avoid news of its cancellation just as I ducked knowledge of its conception. My future self could do without being subjected to the inevitable "best clips" compendia.)

If there's anybody here previously basking in their delightful ignorance - sorry, I guess you just lost The Game...
    Chris_A said:

Yes it's an absolute gem. Long, but perfectly legible and relevant.

Interesting that we were taking our steer from Europe in 1750 - did the ERG vote against I wonder?

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited January 2019
    Pretty sure this is the moment that these crisis crisis talks with Tusk/Juncker are going to be totally different from all those other crisis talks with Tusk/Juncker.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1083854718651322368
  • IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

I was born on the 29th February 1944 and have a birthday each olympic year

Pretty sure these crisis crisis talks with Tusk/Juncker are going to be totally different from all those other crisis talks with Tusk/Juncker.

"Nothing has changed"
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Chris_A said:

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

If this fascinates you then look up the Saros or the Metonic Cycle
    kle4 said:

You see this sort of list quite a bit online, I wonder who cared sufficiently to have it polled.
    Probably someone didn't care but the pollster just didn't catch the sarcasm.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kle4 said:

Chris_A said:

That's some good legislation. I see it is most concerned to be of general convenience to business and people with international concerns. How times change.

Wait, year beginneth 25th March? We used to count the New Year from Easter? Why did we change that?
    The New Year was counted from Lady Day, 25 March. Then when days were skipped in 1752 to correct the calendar, we counted it from 6 April. We still do for tax purposes.
    kle4 said:

Chris_A said:

Well it says why! It was "found by experience to be attended with divers inconveniences"

It's why the financial year starts 6th April (25th March in the Julian calendar) and why rents are paid then and the other quarter days. Spring is really quite a logical time to start the year.
    Elizabeth I for instance died on 24th March 1603 but by common usage at the time she died on New Year's Eve 1602.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

Chris_A said:

As the events of The Last Supper took place at a Passover meal, by rights Easter should be set by the date of Passover. There is a case made for it happening on Wednesday 1 April 33 AD.
    kle4 said:

We (kinda) didn't. The Liturgical year starts in Spring. The Crown's budgetary year too. As a result so does that tax year, and the accounting year for most UK-registered companies.

Honestly it would be so much better if New Year's Day were in the Spring. People might actually stick to their resolutions.

That's just a huge lump of bread isn't it?
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    kle4 said:

Surely the answer is 'No-one, YouGov hope it will get publicity worth the cost and they might have tacked it onto the end of a paid poll'?

Chris_A said:

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

If this fascinates you then look up the Saros or the Metonic Cycle
    Oh I know all about those two cycles too.
    kle4 said:

Imagining a future scenario where nuclear war breaks out because an American diplomat fails to realise that when a British person omits the "kind" from the "kind regards" at the end of an email it means that they are murderously livid.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

I was born on the ************* and have a birthday each olympic year
    Post a bit more personal info and see if your bank account empties. Remember that DoB is often a security question. You might want to edit that post

It’s a slighty sweeter big hot cross bun.

You say that like that would be a bad thing.
    Anyone else slightly surprised there's been no polls from the Big Boys on Twitter tonight about Mrs May's doomed dodgy deal?
    Foxy said:

Chris_A said:

As the events of The Last Supper took place at a Passover meal, by rights Easter should be set by the date of Passover. There is a case made for it happening on Wednesday 1 April 33 AD.
    There's a much stronger case that it never happened at all. Well, certainly the bread into body, wine into blood trickery.

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Though I am twenty years alive, I am a little boy of five!
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

I was born on the ************* and have a birthday each olympic year
    Post a bit more personal info and if you bank account empties. Remember that DoB is often a security question. You might want to edit that post
    Indeed thank you

Pretty sure this is the moment that these crisis crisis talks with Tusk/Juncker are going to be totally different from all those other crisis talks with Tusk/Juncker.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of such a charade. It doesn't buy any time, cannot she just phone them to see if they will say no to anything, or say not but promise to sounds nicer?
  • Foxy said:

Chris_A said:

You say that with as much certainty as HYFUD quoting a poll that backs up his view!
  • kle4 said:

Macedonia parliament agrees to change country's name

Macedonia's parliament has approved a constitutional amendment to change the country's name to the Republic of North Macedonia.

Prime Minister Zoran Zaev narrowly secured the two-thirds majority needed in the historic vote amid a boycott by opposition nationalists.

Protesters outside parliament denounced what they called an act of treason.

The name change is aimed at ending a 27-year dispute with Greece, which has its own region called Macedonia.

The Greek parliament must now give its approval under a deal signed by Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras and Mr Zaev in June.

That will lift Athens' veto on Macedonia's bids to join Nato and the European Union.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46846231

Good for them, be a shame if the Greek Parliament proved a sticking point now.
    Sure, but you don't see Luxembourg being asked to change its name by Belgium, just because the Belgians have their own Luxembourg province.
    edited January 2019
    Maybe May will fly to Brussels to seek sanctuary
  • Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Chris_A said:

Though I am twenty years alive, I am a little boy of five!
    It is all the confusion over your birth date when you are a child. In the end on non leap years I got presents on the 28th Feb and Ist March. Legally it is the 1st March
    kle4 said:

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of such a charade. It doesn't buy any time, cannot she just phone them to see if they will say no to anything, or say not but promise to sounds nicer?
    Maybe she's finding the phone mysteriously engaged/going straight to voicemail quite a lot now...
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

There is ZERO chance of them keeping the defeat under three figures. The number of MPs who indicated during the debates they're opposed to the deal puts the number in the ~160 range.

My feeling is that when she throws her hands up and says "welp, I've done all I could!" she has enough evidence to say that with some conviction. Even if 80% of it was entirely futile displacement activity.

Foxy said:

Chris_A said:

There's a much stronger case that it never happened at all. Well, certainly the bread into body, wine into blood trickery.
    As a good Protestant, I quite agree on the subject of Transubstantiation.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2019

kle4 said:

The New Year was counted from Lady Day, 25 March. Then when days were skipped in 1752 to correct the calendar, we counted it from 6 April. We still do for tax purposes.
    To be fair Lady Day isn't the worst time to start the year. In terms of the seasons, it feels like it belongs at the start, being close to the March equinox... and in terms of annual rental contracts for land, it is the quarter day where you'd neither be ploughing nor harvesting nor be in-between the two (a consideration I hadn't thought of until I just read that).

If only Lady Day had been labelled "January 1" then I think much calendar-bodging could have been avoided...

kle4 said:

Macedonia parliament agrees to change country's name

Macedonia's parliament has approved a constitutional amendment to change the country's name to the Republic of North Macedonia.

Prime Minister Zoran Zaev narrowly secured the two-thirds majority needed in the historic vote amid a boycott by opposition nationalists.

Protesters outside parliament denounced what they called an act of treason.

The name change is aimed at ending a 27-year dispute with Greece, which has its own region called Macedonia.

The Greek parliament must now give its approval under a deal signed by Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras and Mr Zaev in June.

That will lift Athens' veto on Macedonia's bids to join Nato and the European Union.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46846231

Good for them, be a shame if the Greek Parliament proved a sticking point now.
    Sure, but you don't see Luxembourg being asked to change its name by Belgium, just because the Belgians have their own Luxembourg province.
    Whether the Greeks are being reasonable hardly matters if they can continue to be unreasonable indefinitely to the detriment of both. Macedonia have sucked it up and done what they felt they had to, hopefully it will be worth it.
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

May's planning to run away with Jucker when his term ends.

kle4 said:

Maybe she's finding the phone mysteriously engaged/going straight to voicemail quite a lot now...
    Well if it is Juncker she is trying to get hold of best make sure she arrives before lunch I guess.

We did have Britain renamed to Great Britain because Henry II wanted to avoid angering his nobles in Bretagne.
  • kle4 said:

There is ZERO chance of them keeping the defeat under three figures. The number of MPs who indicated during the debates they're opposed to the deal puts the number in the ~160 range.

My feeling is that when she throws her hands up and says "welp, I've done all I could!" she has enough evidence to say that with some conviction. Even if 80% of it was entirely futile displacement activity.
    I do not agree with your last sentence. It was necessary to put tne deal to the HOC to draw out the way forward. Delaying to the new year helps concentrate minds
    Nick Cohen with the homophobic wolf whistles towards Owen Jones

THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES CENTRISTS.

kle4 said:

I do not agree with your last sentence. It was necessary to put tne deal to the HOC to draw out the way forward. Delaying to the new year helps concentrate minds
    Nonsense. Minds were already perfectly concentrated a month ago. The only thing May has really achieved is to set Parliament firmly against May's transparent attempts to run down the clock.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

They may already have a meaningless "clarification" ready to hand to her when she arrives (so, although they can't actually help, both parties can pretend that they're trying.) She can then come back and trumpet some sort of new concession. Which will be nothing of the sort, of course, and will fool no-one in Parliament. Although it might provide cover for 1 or 2 of the God alone knows how many MPs she needs to win over to back the Deal, not that this will help in any significant way.

Quite honestly, all I can think of is that it's part of the ongoing campaign to run down the clock, which might still work. Most likely the Deal will be no closer to being ratified after next Tuesday's vote than before, but by the same token MPs will be no closer to agreeing on what option to take instead.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

His "closet" allies? :)
  • Time to go

I wish everyone a pleasant nights rest before the onslaught of the next few days

It should be high drama and who knows where it ends

Tomorrows polls may be interesting

Good night folks

Foxy said:

Chris_A said:

You say that with as much certainty as HYFUD quoting a poll that backs up his view!
    Greater minds than mine have studied such things!

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/850198
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    I know on PB how much we like are wine discussions....

Is the traditional wine bottle no longer fit for purpose?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/wine/traditional-wine-bottle-get-canned/

In Chez Urquhart the consensus is they aren't, they are nowhere near big enough....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/wine/traditional-wine-bottle-get-canned/

In Chez Urquhart the consensus is they aren't, they are nowhere near big enough....

Gonna be all over when bougie twitter scum find out you can buy wine by the box.
  • +++ YOUGOV POLL KLAXON +++

I always wondered why so many people look rather bemused when I arrive on their doorstep after they tell me I must come for dinner...
    edited January 2019

Gonna be all over when bougie twitter scum find out you can buy wine by the box.
    Do they still do boxed wine? I thought that went out along with car phones the size of house bricks.

Dare I suggest a Magnum and a liver transplant?

kle4 said:

Imagining a future scenario where nuclear war breaks out because an American diplomat fails to realise that when a British person omits the "kind" from the "kind regards" at the end of an email it means that they are murderously livid.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/14/johnezard

"Things are a bit sticky, sir," Brig Tom Brodie of the Gloucestershire Regiment told General Robert H Soule, intending to convey that they were in extreme difficulty.

But Gen Soule understood this to mean "We're having a bit of rough and tumble but we're holding the line". Oh good, the general decided, no need to reinforce or withdraw them, not yet anyway.

The upshot was one of the most famous, heroic and unnecessary last stands in military history: the ordeal of 600 men of the "Glorious Gloucesters" at the Imjin river almost exactly 50 years ago.

Do they still do boxed wine? I thought that went out along with car phones the size of house bricks.
    We have such sights to show you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node=359905031&field-keywords=wine+box
  • Foxy said:

Dare I suggest a Magnum and a liver transplant?
    Its a bit cold for an ice cream at the moment, especially at this time of night ;-)
  • I know on PB how much we like are wine discussions....

We have such sights to show you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node=359905031&field-keywords=wine+box
    Is that what the plebs drink? I envision TSE new mates from the Man City cheap seats downing one of those on the way to the game.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Who are Fraser Nelson's closet political allies?
    rcs1000 said:

Who are Fraser Nelson's closet political allies?
    I'm not sure I can answer that until OGH consults his lawyers.

Yes, excellent for smuggling into music festivals. Drink half then wrap the bladder in a sweater or blanket to sneak it past the barrier, then drink the other half.

It may or may not be ppossible to find the tent again, but you won't care a great deal.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Sky just now.

A spokesperson for TM confirms she has ruled out extending A50

I would suggest she will hold this line, as the nearer it gets the more pressure arises to accept her deal - either plan A or B

I'm convinced No Deal will happen on 29th March.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Excellent for cooking. Tesco do a nice box of generic French red wine that is spot of for a rich pasta sauce
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

RobD said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Everybody seems to be quite cavalier about overturning the largest vote in British history.

Grant the referendum to the people.

Say that it's 'once in a generation' and you'll implement the decision.

Invoke Article 50.

Run on Manifesto promises that Brexit will happen.

Over 80% vote for Brexit in the election.

At the last minute try and block the referendum decision.

Not a good look at all...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/25/eu-exit-vote-no-means-no-says-pm

David Cameron has delivered a stark warning to the British people that a vote to leave the EU will be final and irreversible, as he stamps on suggestions that a better deal could then be negotiated and put to the electorate in a second referendum.
    David Cameron is a liar. This is hardly news.
    The head of the Remain campaign said the vote would be final and irreversible, and it would not be put to the electorate again in a second referendum.
    Salmond said the same thing.

Losers almost always demand a rerun under such circumstances. It's one reason why referendums aren't the best of ideas.
    As Mhairi Black said, "The very presence of my SNP colleagues and I in this very parliament serves as evidence that we do respect the outcome of referendums."

twitter.com/MhairiBlack/status/1083442319863492608
    It certainly doesn't, otherwise they wouldn't be constantly agitating for another vote from those benches and elsewhere.
    Your beloved Tory Party is happy to call general elections within two years of the last one, when it thinks (wrongly as it happens) it can win. Why shouldn’t the SNP ask for another referendum? It’s been nearly five years since the last one.
    Because that general election wasn't described as once in a generation.
    Who cares what some fucking politician somewhere calls it? May said she wouldn’t go to the country. Blair said he’d serve a full term. Only a credulous idiot would believe a single word that comes out of their mouths. More fool you.
    Because, like it or not, voters do listen to what politicians say.
    This sort of thing you mean?

https://twitter.com/UK_Together/status/506899714923843584
    Well quite.

I always wondered why so many people look rather bemused when I arrive on their doorstep after they tell me I must come for dinner...
    I hope you turn up at noon (dinner time).

Night all...

Now you've gone too far.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    OT. Just watched Bird Box on Netflix. Highly recommended for fans of Walking Dead/ post -apocalyptic dystopias. Could have done with 20 mins editing, but John Malkovich in fine form, and Sandra Bullock doing what she does.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

Does anyone ever discover what a panettone actually IS? Don't you just gift it on to somebody else, like a perpetual pass-the-parcel, without it ever getting opened?

(It's what happens in our house anyways...)
  • More sayings and what people understand from them...I particularly like,

I only have a few minor comments

British - Please re-write completely
    Other - He has found a few typos

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46846467

My PhD supervisor was British and uttered those words on more than one occasion!
    AndyJS said:

Sky just now.

I would suggest she will hold this line, as the nearer it gets the more pressure arises to accept her deal - either plan A or B

I think there's still a chance of revocation, but it is admittedly more complicated.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Night all...
    Weirdo.
  • Today I bought my second pack of hot cross buns of the year.

Does anyone ever discover what a panettone actually IS? Don't you just gift it on to somebody else, like a perpetual pass-the-parcel, without it ever getting opened?

You are missing out. A really good panettone is perfect Christmas period breakfast. All the gym sessions to work off all the weight you have put on is less enjoyable.

What you're *supposed* to do, or what they do in Italy, is you're supposed to slice it, dip it in a mixture of eggs, milk and sugar, and then fry it, to make a deliciously indulgent eggy bread for christmas breakfast.

You could get done for handling stollen goods.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    AndyJS said:

Sky just now.

And TOPPING is convinced the deal will pass...

Who to believe?

The power of inertia points to No Deal. Corbyn wants Brexit to be as messy as possible because it increases the chance of his becoming Prime Minister down the line.

But there are probably 100s of Remainer MPs, who - if push came to shove - would choose the Deal over No Deal.

So, I genuinely don't know what will happen. I think the right thing for the country is a No Deal vs EFTA/EEA referendum, as it respects the first referendum.

But that's far too sensible, so I don't think it's going to happen.

I want to see the stats of easter eggs sold each easter period to mean easter date.

I don't know why really,I'm just a bit bored.

Being equally bored.... They shouldn't differ, given that you'd think they would go on sale x days before Easter. But in reality, Cadbury's Cream eggs were on sale on Boxing Day at our local garage.

Bloody Boxing Day.

Like, you haven't gorged enough yet over the festive period? Here, have some high calorie fondant wrapped in chocolate wrapped in silver foil that may or may not come off before you can eat it.....

I'm pudding you on notice that that pun was mince. Lebkuchen you not?
    rcs1000 said:

So, I genuinely don't know what will happen. I think the right thing for the country is a No Deal vs EFTA/EEA referendum, as it respects the first referendum.

What's your solution for Northern Ireland under both scenarios?

Yule log some Community Service for that.....
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Sky just now.

Topping is not convinced it's going to pass. Topping is making a valiant rearguard defence for a bet he knows is doomed. But every gambler knows: when you've a chip and a prayer, you've a prayer.
    Tulsi Gabbard says she will run for president in 2020.

https://twitter.com/ckmarie/status/1083867543805280257
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kle4 said:

May's planning to run away with Jucker when his term ends.
    Perhaps she likes having her hair mussed up by a drunken old fart?

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    edited January 2019
    Labour takes three point lead over the Tories in the latest Survation poll for tomorrow’s Mail.
    AndyJS said:

Sky just now.

As long as we Brexit, I'll take either.....
    edited January 2019

Labour takes three point lead over the Tories in the latest Survation poll for tomorrow’s Mail.

Labour has also taken a three-point lead over the Tories with the Conservatives on 38 to Labour’s 41.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6583091/Ministers-grave-warning-poll-shows-Tory-voters-support-PMs-deal-Brussels.html
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Sky just now.

Who to believe?

The power of inertia points to No Deal. Corbyn wants Brexit to be as messy as possible because it increases the chance of his becoming Prime Minister down the line.

But there are probably 100s of Remainer MPs, who - if push came to shove - would choose the Deal over No Deal.

But that's far too sensible, so I don't think it's going to happen.
    But surely (a) Norway+CU requires the assent of the EFTA states (which, if the noises off that have filtered into our press are anything to go by, they may not give); and (b) there's no incentive for the EU27 to grant an A50 extension for a referendum including a No Deal option, even if they're both willing and able to do so to begin with?

It may or may not be sensible, but regardless I don't see how it flies.

Whether or not the Deal passes presumably depends on if Parliament, having rejected it, can find a majority for anything else (and also on timing; again, I assume if they leave it late enough then they'll run out of time to pass all the associated legislation needed to make any kind of Brexit work?) If it gets very close to March 29th without MPs having coalesced around any single option, then it may come down to whether they've the nerve to force revocation, or we end up with a disorderly No Deal.
This discussion has been closed.