Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rebels without a get-out clause. Why you shouldn’t expect many

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rebels without a get-out clause. Why you shouldn’t expect many declared Leave opponents of the deal to back down

if("undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper)window.datawrapper={};window.datawrapper["CHS3W"]={},window.datawrapper["CHS3W"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-CHS3W"),window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])if("CHS3W"==b)window.datawrapper["CHS3W"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px"});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Losing a whip on the eve of the vote will hardly help herd the pythons through the deal-supporting lobby.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,334
    On the other hand, there is this morning's warning that we could face toilet paper shortages in the event of no deal...
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    The new thread curse! A few Brexit thoughts FPT:

1 - Something. Has. Changed. Feels like patience has run out, hence the defeats last week and refusing to kick the can down the road or delay any more. Maybe that was the message MPs got over Christmas - 'I just want it resolved one way or the other' rather than support / opposition to the specific deal. Hard to see T May getting away with promising to renegotiate after defeat now.

2 - I still think the real danger is the Benn amendment this week, and I would vote against it even though I agree with every word. If that passes, there is no yes/no vote on the meaningful vote, the Brexiteers get to keep their powder dry and blame the Remainers for the vote not passing. And the meaningful vote would be seen to be lost by 10 votes or so. Surely Hilary Benn is too smart to let that go to a vote - isn't he?

3 - What I really don't get, is the lack of urgency. Before Christmas we were told that the deal had to be agreed by November or December at the latest, so the UK could ratify, legislate as needed, and all EU approval processes could take place. Now there's talk of going right up against the end March deadline. Was the original timetable BS? Are we actually going to have to extend A50 even if the meaningful vote wins tomorrow? Grateful for any guidance on that - as it seems terms have totally changed on this.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

1 - Something. Has. Changed. Feels like patience has run out, hence the defeats last week and refusing to kick the can down the road or delay any more. Maybe that was the message MPs got over Christmas - 'I just want it resolved one way or the other' rather than support / opposition to the specific deal. Hard to see T May getting away with promising to renegotiate after defeat now.

2 - I still think the real danger is the Benn amendment this week, and I would vote against it even though I agree with every word. If that passes, there is no yes/no vote on the meaningful vote, the Brexiteers get to keep their powder dry and blame the Remainers for the vote not passing. And the meaningful vote would be seen to be lost by 10 votes or so. Surely Hilary Benn is too smart to let that go to a vote - isn't he?

3 - What I really don't get, is the lack of urgency. Before Christmas we were told that the deal had to be agreed by November or December at the latest, so the UK could ratify, legislate as needed, and all EU approval processes could take place. Now there's talk of going right up against the end March deadline. Was the original timetable BS? Are we actually going to have to extend A50 even if the meaningful vote wins tomorrow? Grateful for any guidance on that - as it seems terms have totally changed on this.

No, it's just a reflection of May's desperation (and stubbornness).
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited January 2019
    tpfkar said:

IIUC:
    * The EU process is already trundling on - The European Parliament isn't waiting for the British. So from the EU end it was agreed in November and everything's on schedule.
    * The UK side is apparently very tight even if it passes tonight, although I guess you can shovel stuff through parliament pretty fast if you don't worry about checking whether it's right
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    Yes, it's hard to see a late mass conversion. Personally and politically the easier option is to stick with their declared positions, at least for now. Later? I don't see it an masse.
    Nigelb said:

On the other hand, there is this morning's warning that we could face toilet paper shortages in the event of no deal...

plenty of newspapers. Good for the industry.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Nigelb said:

Whilst if we have a second referendum the leaflets will be unending solving that problem for a very considerable time. I can see where you are going with this...
  • Options
    FPT
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

IanB2 said:

Whip Gareth Johnson resigns, anti deal

I don't think he was on anyone's lists. That is a pretty poor sign for Theresa May.
    When whips start to resign you know you have a major problem.
    Ouch, that is really bad news.

Suggests the Govt are going to lose several more to resignation today.
    Definitely looking like closer to 200 than 150 At the least.

Though I do wonder how a whip has really given their job their all in the past few months while being against the signature policy of government which has had many ancillary votes on it.
    It is weird but early on people spoke of 50+ being the threshold for how bearable the rebellion was.

Now anything just over 100 would seem like a success.
  • Options

FPT

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

timmo said:

IanB2 said:

Whip Gareth Johnson resigns, anti deal

I don't think he was on anyone's lists. That is a pretty poor sign for Theresa May.
    When whips start to resign you know you have a major problem.
    Ouch, that is really bad news.

Suggests the Govt are going to lose several more to resignation today.
    Definitely looking like closer to 200 than 150 At the least.

Though I do wonder how a whip has really given their job their all in the past few months while being against the signature policy of government which has had many ancillary votes on it.
    It is weird but early on people spoke of 50+ being the threshold for how bearable the rebellion was.

Now anything just over 100 would seem like a success.
    It would almost be good expectation management, except 150ish seems as optimistic as they can get!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    There are 317/318 Tories depending on whose got the whip back. If we use 318 May has that figure less 100, less 11, less some of 14, roughly 200 votes. Who else is going to vote for this?

I am struggling to see this vote go down by less than 200 on the present figures, possibly 240, a truly epic fail. I think tomorrow will prove to be May's last day as PM.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Shouldn't MPs on the 'leave' side ask themselves this though ?

That a division be created to amend the standing orders as per Boles/Bercow and Art 50 be struck out with a single line rescind bill (Should nothing else be agreed), thus leading to no Brexit - which is the opposite of what they wish to happen ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There are 317/318 Tories depending on whose got the whip back. If we use 318 May has that figure less 100, less 11, less some of 14, roughly 200 votes. Who else is going to vote for this?

I am struggling to see this vote go down by less than 200 on the present figures, possibly 240, a truly epic fail. I think tomorrow will prove to be May's last day as PM.

Hard to survive quite possibly the biggest defeat ever for a government. Who takes over though? To do what?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    DavidL said:

How does May resigning help? The only way I could see it working would be with a Gove coronation.

Irrespective of the Grieve amendment, I think she needs to announce Plan B tomorrow evening, immediately after the vote.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

IIUC:
    * The EU process is already trundling on - The European Parliament isn't waiting for the British. So from the EU end it was agreed in November and everything's on schedule.
    * The UK side is apparently very tight even if it passes tonight, although I guess you can shovel stuff through parliament pretty fast if you don't worry about checking whether it's right
    Plus on the UK side you could easily make more time available. Cancel recesses, make Parliament sit on Fridays etc
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

tpfkar said:

IIUC:
    thank you. that makes sense and sounds about right.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Remember, the historical record for worst Parliamentary defeat for a whipped vote by sitting government was Ramsay McDonald in 1924, who lost by 166.

All eyes are on whether May can beat this record.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

How does May resigning help? The only way I could see it working would be with a Gove coronation.

Irrespective of the Grieve amendment, I think she needs to announce Plan B tomorrow evening, immediately after the vote.
    May resigning in December would have helped. Someone like Gove taking over, spending a few weeks talking to the EU then coming back would have had more credibility than May.
  • Options
    How Alice Nutter went from Chumbawamba to prestige TV

“a sort of communist-Marxist....that likes to travel First Class...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/14/chumbawamba-alice-nutter-trust-tv

Gotta love these Corbynistas.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

May resigning in December would have helped. Someone like Gove taking over, spending a few weeks talking to the EU then coming back would have had more credibility than May.
    Coming back with exactly the same thing?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2019
    I rather thought it was Remain supporting MPs like Grieve, Soubry, Greening, Boles etc who were currently the main cause of the PM’s discomfiture. That is what happens when you don’t bother to build consensus and you don’t have a majority in HoC.

The simple fact is May’s deal satisfies no one and lacks sufficient merit to attract support from those who are not payroll vote. Staying in the EU didn’t satisfy the electorate so we are now in the position where Parliament is putting itself at odds with the electorate which is not a great place to be.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Remember, the historical record for worst Parliamentary defeat for a whipped vote by sitting government was Ramsay McDonald in 1924, who lost by 166.

...by a margin greater than her age in years.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    260/269 backed at 25s laid back at 10s. Smug city here.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Drinks are on you :p
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    The 'advantage' of May's deal is that it kicks the can a bit further down the road.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2019
    John McDonnell says he didn't hear 'unacceptable' call for PM to 'shoot herself'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/john-mcdonnell-says-didnt-hear-13854533

Never heard it, never saw anything me...never...even when standing right next to him. Total one off, never happened before. Oh the time I should under a load of hammer and sickle flags, no I didn't seem them either...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited January 2019
    How come a goverment whip has resigned 24hrs before the vote?

Hasn't this "character" been spending the past few weeks trying to get Con MPs to vote for May's deal? A deal over which he's now resigned? What the hell has he been doing since November?

I have to say these past weeks really have shown the Tory Party at their absolute most self-indulgent worst. I mean we're going down to 1990s levels self-indulgence.

Fortunately for them they don't have a LOTO like Blair to take advantage but the Conservatives really are testing the people's patience.
  • Options

The 'advantage' of May's deal is that it kicks the can a bit further down the road.

A necessary can kicking to get the EU talking about the future relationship.
  • Options

John McDonnell says he didn't hear 'unacceptable' call for PM to 'shoot herself'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/john-mcdonnell-says-didnt-hear-13854533

Never heard it, never saw anything me...never...even when standing right next to him. Total one off, never happened before. Oh the time I should under a load of hammer and sickle flags, no I didn't seem them either...

A kinder, gentler politics.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

:-) ... ok, although size of my locked-in profit means we won't be going mad.
  • Options
    So new house, but nobody can afford anything to put in it, even bog roll....
  • Options
    Why do they need 5m new homes when they've lost 10% of their population??
  • Options
    The mayor of the Polish city of Gdansk has died in hospital after being stabbed at a charity event, officials say.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46867286
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

He might not yet win if the market is voided (I've personally experienced this with the voided Manchester by-election pre GE17 on Betfair..)
  • Options
    I

Why do they need 5m new homes when they've lost 10% of their population??
    Perhaps corbyn is right. We could learn a thing or two from them. :p
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

A Gove coronation. That excites me more than it ought to.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He might not yet win if the market is voided (I've personally experienced this with the voided Manchester by-election pre GE17 on Betfair..)

That is the fear. Some of the potential amendments seem designed to throw mud into the water.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

Even if Gove came back with exactly the same thing he would have had more credibility as having fought for real changes than May has.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

Even if Gove came back with exactly the same thing he would have had more credibility as having fought for real changes than May has.
    Nah, he'd just be called a traitor for selling out, as with every other politician who has engaged with reality since John Major.
  • Options

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

Nah, he'd just be called a traitor for selling out, as with every other politician who has engaged with reality since John Major.
    Few call Hague a traitor despite backing the deal because he is viewed as authentic in a way May isn't.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

Few call Hague a traitor despite backing the deal because he is viewed as authentic in a way May isn't.
    Don’t ever look below the line on the Telegraph website...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    Interesting possible consequence of Brexit - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/landmark-european-medicines-agency-against-canary-wharf-case-threatens-property-market-disaster-j6g920n6m

- and not just for the property market but for any contract.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Don’t ever look below the line on the Telegraph website...

Evergreen comment.
  • Options
    The most optimal Gov't result at this point (Bar an unlikely victory) would be a defeat by 1 vote on the Benn amendment.
  • Options
    Dearie me - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/varadkar-defends-men-only-monastery-visit-that-left-aides-behind-067zcjdhl

I bet he wouldn't say that about respecting different cultures if the institution he was visiting banned gay men. But banning women, hey, that's OK.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dearie me - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/varadkar-defends-men-only-monastery-visit-that-left-aides-behind-067zcjdhl

I bet he wouldn't say that about respecting different cultures if the institution he was visiting banned gay men. But banning women, hey, that's OK.

A monastery which banned gay men wouldn't be much of a monastery, though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Interesting possible consequence of Brexit - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/landmark-european-medicines-agency-against-canary-wharf-case-threatens-property-market-disaster-j6g920n6m

Most 'events' are err not forseeable. I hope the Canary Wharf landlords win, the implications of an EMA win would be damaging all round for everyone.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

There is no way that works for you or me.

JUST MAYBE it works for the EMA, if it is illegal for the EMA to operate outside the EU.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

They want to break a contract because something unexpected happened? Unless there is a clause to that effect in the contract their chances must be slim, surely?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    The ERG-ers are furious at the backstop (presumably that's it?) and hence by voting against they hope that we will leave on March 29th with no deal. How likely is this? Not very (2%). The HoC is against and therefore no meaningful vote to allow it will pass. What about just letting the clock run down? No. Theresa May will extend A50 as the EU have indicated she could do, saying that we need more time. What would happen during that time? Well a referendum would have to be somewhere on the agenda so that risks no Brexit.

Or by some tortuous known unknown there is a GE and that risks their jobs (some of them).

I don't see how they get what they want by voting against the deal.

Or am I being too logical?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The ERG-ers are furious at the backstop (presumably that's it?) and hence by voting against they hope that we will leave on March 29th with no deal. How likely is this? Not very (2%). The HoC is against and therefore no meaningful vote to allow it will pass. What about just letting the clock run down? No. Theresa May will extend A50 as the EU have indicated she could do, saying that we need more time. What would happen during that time? Well a referendum would have to be somewhere on the agenda so that risks no Brexit.

Or by some tortuous known unknown there is a GE and that risks their jobs (some of them).

Yep.
  • Options
    ERGers best bet is to vote try and vote through the deal and see it fall with a combination of Tory remainer votes + Labour.
    I think that would buy them considerable goodwill from the Gov't in as to what happens next.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Cyclefree said:

It depends what is in the EMA's lease. I think there would need to be something very specific about the UK leaving the EU in the wording of the lease that would entitle them to rescind it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Emotion, passion, anger, fear, all outweigh logic.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

They want to break a contract because something unexpected happened? Unless there is a clause to that effect in the contract their chances must be slim, surely?
    The law on frustration of contracts is very complex. But in essence they are saying that this was an unknown unknown and therefore the contract could not be performed. The EMA are liable for the rent on the building even though they are leaving the premises and they are arguing this so as to avoid paying the outstanding rent. Quite why they can't sub-let is not clear.

The landlords are saying that departure from the EU was not unforeseeable, not least because Article 50 has been in existence since the Lisbon Treaty came into force.

But it's just an example of the sorts of legal cases that will occur if/when Brexit happens and depending on how it happens.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Afternoon all :)

It's times like this political nerds, junkies, aholics or whatever love. On a personal level, it may be nice for January 15th to be remembered for more than just being my birthday.

Happy Birthday to me!! Happy Birthday to me!!

I suspect, were I playing such markets, the Deal will do a little better than some think - I could see maybe 250 MPs supporting it so that still means a likely heavy defeat unless something dramatic happens (mass Labour abstention looks the most plausible).

Presumably, May and the last of her sycophants in the ditch have got a response planned should the vote not be favourable tomorrow evening:

There are five things I cannot see happening (which doesn't mean they won't or can't but would be such a volte face even her loyalist apologists on here will be doing contortions trying to justify and support it).

One is May resigning, two is May supporting a second Referendum, three is May calling for the revocation of A50 and the cancellation of Brexit, four is May calling a General Election and five is May pivoting to No Deal.

While some or indeed many on here might like one or more of these to happen they won't.

The only option will be for May to kick the much-abused can down the road one last time and declare she will go to Brussels and seek an extension to A50 to enable further negotiation (primarily on the backstop provision) to take place after which the slightly amended WA will be brought back to the Commons for a second time possibly before the end of the month.

As to what will happen if the WA is rejected again no one will answer.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In more conservative parts of the world being gay can be something that gets you killed, rather than banned from public spaces.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

The law on frustration of contracts is very complex. But in essence they are saying that this was an unknown unknown and therefore the contract could not be performed. The EMA are liable for the rent on the building even though they are leaving the premises and they are arguing this so as to avoid paying the outstanding rent. Quite why they can't sub-let is not clear.

The landlords are saying that departure from the EU was not unforeseeable, not least because Article 50 has been in existence since the Lisbon Treaty came into force.

But it's just an example of the sorts of legal cases that will occur if/when Brexit happens and depending on how it happens.
    The alternative to sub-letting is assignment. Unless there is a bar on assignment in the lease, then the tenant is quite capable of performing its covenants to the landlord.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You're very naughty!

What about other sorts of institutions or groups? I bloody hate it when liberals praising diversity out of one side of their mouth are prepared to throw some group over just to curry favour. Leo - like so many - is just a hypocrite.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited January 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Shouldn't MPs on the 'leave' side ask themselves this though ?

That a division be created to amend the standing orders as per Boles/Bercow and Art 50 be struck out with a single line rescind bill (Should nothing else be agreed), thus leading to no Brexit - which is the opposite of what they wish to happen ?

That's exactly what is required - a straight vote to revoke A50, leaving no place to hide. Minds need to be concentrated - the idiocy of the recalcitrant Leavers is staggering. I heard Priti Patel on the wireless this lunchtime - she was away with the fairies.
  • Options
    stodge said:

It's times like this political nerds, junkies, aholics or whatever love. On a personal level, it may be nice for January 15th to be remembered for more than just being my birthday.

I suspect, were I playing such markets, the Deal will do a little better than some think - I could see maybe 250 MPs supporting it so that still means a likely heavy defeat unless something dramatic happens (mass Labour abstention looks the most plausible).

Presumably, May and the last of her sycophants in the ditch have got a response planned should the vote not be favourable tomorrow evening:

There are five things I cannot see happening (which doesn't mean they won't or can't but would be such a volte face even her loyalist apologists on here will be doing contortions trying to justify and support it).

One is May resigning, two is May supporting a second Referendum, three is May calling for the revocation of A50 and the cancellation of Brexit, four is May calling a General Election and five is May pivoting to No Deal.

While some or indeed many on here might like one or more of these to happen they won't.

The only option will be for May to kick the much-abused can down the road one last time and declare she will go to Brussels and seek an extension to A50 to enable further negotiation (primarily on the backstop provision) to take place after which the slightly amended WA will be brought back to the Commons for a second time possibly before the end of the month.

We could all try to let you have the ‘first’ on the next thread ?

Many happy returns !

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

If I was moved to another town by my employer, even if it was unforseeable, I’d be liable to pay the remaining rent on my contract. Not sure why the EMA think they are special in this regard.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Happy birthday, stodge.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    If we do revoke article 50 would the EMA stay in the UK?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Yes but does the moon ever change its mind or decide to contravene the laws of physics?
  • Options

If we do revoke article 50 would the EMA stay in the UK?

They’ve already left, haven’t they? Not sure there would be any incentive for them to return. Likewise, could you imagine a British EU commission president in the future? Me neither.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Cyclefree said:

In more conservative parts of the world being gay can be something that gets you killed, rather than banned from public spaces.
    Well, indeed. All very well flying the flag for gay marriage and abortion in Ireland but then to defend a monastery which sees women as second class - pathetic. If he wants to do that why he doesn't come back home and defend what was done to women in Ireland by the Catholic Church? (And to be clear, I don't defend that. What they did was indefensible and horrible.)

But of course - for some of the stupider liberals - it always looks better to praise some foreign, exotic and dark-skinned bigot while chastising home-grown ones.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

If I was moved to another town by my employer, even if it was unforseeable, I’d be liable to pay the remaining rent on my contract. Not sure why the EMA think they are special in this regard.
    The important point is that the EMA - on its own case - can't operate from London if it wanted to.

Incidentally I think the answer to Cyclefree's question is that the purpose of the lease was to allow the EMA to occupy, and therefore frustration must focus on their ability to occupy and not their subtenants.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It would be a dull place at any rate.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Happy Birthday in advance!

I hope you are spending it doing something wonderful and enjoyable and not concerning yourself with Parliamentary nitwittery.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

The important point is that the EMA - on its own case - can't operate from London if it wanted to.

Incidentally I think the answer to Cyclefree's question is that the purpose of the lease was to allow the EMA to occupy, and therefore frustration must focus on their ability to occupy and not their subtenants.
    So? I wouldn’t be able to operate from my old apartment if I was moved across the country. As the old Ferengi saying goes, a contract is a contract is a contract.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Yes but does the moon ever change its mind or decide to contravene the laws of physics?
    The backstop is not a law of physics.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

OK - I like the way the Times paywalls its articles, except misleading headlines.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RoyalBlue said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, indeed. All very well flying the flag for gay marriage and abortion in Ireland but then to defend a monastery which sees women as second class - pathetic. If he wants to do that why he doesn't come back home and defend what was done to women in Ireland by the Catholic Church? (And to be clear, I don't defend that. What they did was indefensible and horrible.)

But of course - for some of the stupider liberals - it always looks better to praise some foreign, exotic and dark-skinned bigot while chastising home-grown ones.
    So the Western world should dictate morality to all other nations? That was a little easier when Europe had 25% of the world’s population rather than 7%.

You’re about 100 years late. We didn’t get thanked for it last time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I hope you are spending it doing something wonderful and enjoyable and not concerning yourself with Parliamentary nitwittery.

Of course not - I shall be at Lingfield Park with a few friends enjoying an afternoon's jump racing and a nice lunch.
  • Options
    Unfortunately this Resolution Foundation report on employment is likely to get buried in the avalanche of Brexit news, but it's got some really interesting stuff in it:

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/app/uploads/2019/01/Setting-the-record-straight-full-employment-report.pdf
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Looking up my copy of Hill and Redman, I think the EMA are on a hiding to nothing, unless there is something very unusual that makes their leasehold covenants impossible to perform.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

So? I wouldn’t be able to operate from my old apartment if I was moved across the country. As the old Ferengi saying goes, a contract is a contract is a contract.
    They are saying (basically) that it is illegal for them to operate from post-Brexit London, whereas you retain the ability to use your flat in London.

It appears it is more technical that that; that the EMA wouldn't get its "rights and privileges" outside the EU (whatever that means).

Frustration of a lease for reasons unrelated to the property itself is almost unheard of. It occupies two paragraphs of my handbook.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    stodge said:

She has absolutely no room to manoeuvre if those 5 prove correct which means she is more of a lame duck than she is now. If she doesn’t resign, she has two immediate problems - staving off defeat in a VONC and trying to keep control of the political agenda.

She has no choice but to resign or call another election which apparently CCHQ were war gaming before Christmas. If she loses control of events, it’s difficult to see how she staves off defeat in a VONC.

I don’t expect her to call another GE, but she has to do something and that looks like the only way she keeps control.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Many happy returns !

I've managed the odd "first" in my time but Carlotta seems to be the doyenne of those currently.

As I've reached the age, according to my late Mother of "old enough to know better", I shall confine myself to trying to nick a few quid from the bookies in East Surrey tomorrow.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    YouGov:

Tories 41
    Lab 35
    Lib Dems 11
    UKIP 4
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/14/chumbawamba-alice-nutter-trust-tv

No doubt the PB Tories will enjoy several bouts of onanism over the story for a while.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Along with the Galileo decision, it does signal extraordinarily bad faith, though, and gives succour to those who would find reasons to resile from the UK’s financial commitments to the EU.
    It is a move worthy of some of the more blockheaded denizens of May’s cabinet.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

It would be a dull place at any rate.
    Terrible psalm chants and no sparkling wine after communion. Let’s not even think about it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    The map cant be right as most of it is grey. Is there a typo in the descriptions?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

They are saying (basically) that it is illegal for them to operate from post-Brexit London, whereas you retain the ability to use your flat in London.

It appears it is more technical that that; that the EMA wouldn't get its "rights and privileges" outside the EU (whatever that means).

Frustration of a lease for reasons unrelated to the property itself is almost unheard of. It occupies two paragraphs of my handbook.
    In their case does the lease require them to operate the EMA from London, or are the only duties attached to the lease not related to their actual activities?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Nigelb said:

Many happy returns !

I've managed the odd "first" in my time but Carlotta seems to be the doyenne of those currently.

As I've reached the age, according to my late Mother of "old enough to know better", I shall confine myself to trying to nick a few quid from the bookies in East Surrey tomorrow.
    May you confound their odds.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Tories 41
    Lab 35
    Lib Dems 11
    UKIP 4

So recent polls we have anywhere from +6 Tories to +3 Labour....clear as mud.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Looking up my copy of Hill and Redman, I think the EMA are on a hiding to nothing, unless there is something very unusual that makes their leasehold covenants impossible to perform.
    Given that the cost of going to court has to be tiny compared to the ongoing rent I can see why the EMA are trying it on even if the odds are infinitesimal.

Mind you I've seen other EU departments waste £50,000 to check that what they had been told to was correct so I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

No doubt the PB Tories will enjoy several bouts of onanism over the story for a while.
    Even the Guardian reporter is mocking her.
  • Options

She may set a record which will stand the test of time.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Given that the cost of going to court has to be tiny compared to the ongoing rent I can see why the EMA are trying it on even if the odds are infinitesimal.

Mind you I've seen other EU departments waste £50,000 to check that what they had been told to was correct so I'm not surprised.
    Outstanding rent is close to half a billion pounds :D
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The map cant be right as most of it is grey. Is there a typo in the descriptions?

It shows only the 100 constituencies referred to ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    tpfkar said:

I would say an extension (assuming such can be agreed) is pretty much nailed on, now, whatever happens. Certainly that's the word from inside the EU, which is expecting a request any day.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Of course not - I shall be at Lingfield Park with a few friends enjoying an afternoon's jump racing and a nice lunch.
    Sounds wonderful. Enjoy!!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Reading a few legal articles about it, it seems to be common ground in this case that had the agreement for the lease been entered into after Cameron's promise of a referendum, then Brexit would have been reasonably foreseeable, and the EMA would have no case.

However, the EMA signed the contract to enter the lease in 2011, three years before the lease itself was signed. Hence, the argument that this contract was frustrated.

I'd still be very surprised if they won though, because assignment or sub-letting would still enable them to fulfil their obligations to the landlord. Apparently, they simply agreed far too high a rent, which means they would suffer a loss on assignment or subletting.
  • Options

She has absolutely no room to manoeuvre if those 5 prove correct which means she is more of a lame duck than she is now. If she doesn’t resign, she has two immediate problems - staving off defeat in a VONC and trying to keep control of the political agenda.

She has no choice but to resign or call another election which apparently CCHQ were war gaming before Christmas. If she loses control of events, it’s difficult to see how she staves off defeat in a VONC.

I don’t expect her to call another GE, but she has to do something and that looks like the only way she keeps control.

I didn't mention a VONC because that's an option for Corbyn, not May. It's a complete and utter waste of time and will be politically counter-productive.

Quite part from the DUP, I cannot envisage a single Conservative MP failing to support a Conservative Government in a VONC. It's the ultimate betrayal and would mean expulsion and deselection (probably not in that order).

I can quite easily believe the only thing the 318 Conservative MPs have in common is their detestation (or fear) (or contempt) of Corbyn and any Government he led. That will be enough to vote down any VONC.

Corbyn must know this - I don't understand the politics of it from his perspective.
This discussion has been closed.