Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris, betting favourite for the Democratic nomination

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris, betting favourite for the Democratic nomination, chooses today, Martin Luther King Day, to launch her campaign

JUST IN: @KamalaHarris on announcing she will be running for president in 2020: "I feel a responsibility to stand up and fight for who we are." https://t.co/qUX1sERxxZ pic.twitter.com/NcSHFTRIny

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    First
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    “Kamala Chameleon”?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Very good.

And third.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    "For the people?" Is there a court case or something?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,596
    It is easier for Kamala to pass through the doors of the White House than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Isn't one of the Castro brothers missing from that list?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2019
    FPT:
    TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

"England’s rebel spirit is rising – and it wants a no-deal Brexit
    John Harris

In the face of political stasis, the seductive myth of Britain standing alone against its oppressors is taking hold"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/21/england-rebel-spirit-no-deal-brexit

He also underestimates the appeal of no deal as it would bring the "Brexit yes or no" domination of the news to an end.
    God, yes. I'm a political nerd, and I'm abso-fucking-lutely fed up with Brexit. The appeal of a 'simple' solution leading to it all going away is strong.

No deal, of course, would ironically lead to Brexit fall-out dominating the news for the next 2 years as a minimum. May's deal would (I think) be an all-round damp squib, news-wise.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Raúl?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Startling quote from Tusk cited in the Guardian blog (from a forthcoming BBC documentary):

"I asked David Cameron, ‘Why did you decide on this referendum, this – it’s so dangerous, so even stupid, you know,’ and, he told me - and I was really amazed and even shocked - that the only reason was his own party, [He told me] he felt really safe, because he thought at the same time that there’s no risk of a referendum, because, his coalition partner, the Liberals, would block this idea of a referendum. But then, surprisingly, he won and there was no coalition partner. So paradoxically David Cameron became the real victim of his own victory."
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Kamala is a silly name.

But then so was Barak.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Huzzah for Harris!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279

Startling quote from Tusk cited in the Guardian blog (from a forthcoming BBC documentary):

"I asked David Cameron, ‘Why did you decide on this referendum, this – it’s so dangerous, so even stupid, you know,’ and, he told me - and I was really amazed and even shocked - that the only reason was his own party, [He told me] he felt really safe, because he thought at the same time that there’s no risk of a referendum, because, his coalition partner, the Liberals, would block this idea of a referendum. But then, surprisingly, he won and there was no coalition partner. So paradoxically David Cameron became the real victim of his own victory."

About time someone took a stand over Israel competing in European sporting and cultural events, eh, Nick?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Kamala is a silly name.

But then so was Barak.

Her middle name is Devi. Goddess.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

Good afternoon, everyone.

Huzzah for Harris!

Aw thanks.

Oh.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Mike: According to Wiki, she's of Tamil Indian descent, not Native American as per the header. 'Kamala' comes from Sanskrit...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    MTimT said:

I assume that you will be backing Putin's man in the White House.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Mike: According to Wiki, she's of Tamil Indian descent, not Native American as per the header. 'Kamala' comes from Sanskrit...

Thanks for that. Fixed
  • Options
    But what about Brexit....throws hand grenade and runs away...
  • Options
    Huzzah for Mr. Tweed!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I think we had this discussion before, but Deal minus backstop isn't going to get the votes from her party. The backstop is only one issue, Tory MPs have lots of other objections.

I think it will. JRM, Boris and many others have said they could back the deal without the backstop. There would only be diehard Remainers left blocking the deal in an attempt to get s referendum (but thus risking no deal) if the leavers fall into line to get Brexit over the line.

Can you name a single Leaver who has said they would oppose the deal even if the backstop were removed?
    Guto certainly. And according to him, that's a majority position among those that oppose the deal.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2019/01/guto-bebb-conservative-mps-opposition-to-this-deal-is-about-far-more-than-just-the-backstop.html
    I said name a Leaver; under what definition of the word is Guto a Leaver? He's a hardline Remainer who wants another referendum over any form of Brexit.
    FPT: yes sorry, I misread. Subsequent posts from me mention Redwood, Lamont and Baker as all opposing May deal even if backstop is removed. Redwood on his blog estimates she would only get half of MPs onboard if she ditched the backstop.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Anorak said:

Thanks for that. Fixed
    Not quite: Jamaican and Tamil, not Tamil and Native American :)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Translated into Redneck it means "Dangerous Liberal".
  • Options

MTimT said:

I assume that you will be backing Putin's man in the White House.
    I have always been an Anyone But Trump GOPer, if that is what you are getting at. I have understood his appeal to those who feel unserved by the political establishment, been appalled at those who dismissed him as an idiot, and always warned about underestimating him, but I have never supported him. Check my posts. My man was Kasich throughout the primaries.

The only time I have come close to announcing support for him was joking "Vote for Trump, He'll be easier to impeach" That may well turn out to be prescient.
  • Options

Huzzah for Mr. Tweed!

I thank yew... (I should have known I'd be Mr Tweed if you'd meant me :))
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162

“Kamala Chameleon”?

That is great but far too elevated for Trump. His base would be all confused.
  • Options

Didn't we already know this?

What's worse is that the whole way Brexit has been handled by May since she became PM has been put the interests of the Tory party first.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Ed Is crap has has deeper implications.

If only he had never had that bacon sandwich..
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Julian Castro also running. Only Latino in the field and immigration looks set to be a big issue, maybe even the issue. And yes, I've backed him at tantalisingly long odds...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,096

Anorak said:

Thanks for that. Fixed
    Does make the subsequent sentence a bit of a "huh??" now though. Appropriately?

"and is of Tamil and Native Indian descent. Appropriately she chose today, Martin Luther King day, for the big announcement."
  • Options
    Anorak said:

FPT:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris

In the face of political stasis, the seductive myth of Britain standing alone against its oppressors is taking hold"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/21/england-rebel-spirit-no-deal-brexit

He also underestimates the appeal of no deal as it would bring the "Brexit yes or no" domination of the news to an end.
    God, yes. I'm a political nerd, and I'm abso-fucking-lutely fed up with Brexit. The appeal of a 'simple' solution leading to it all going away is strong.

No deal, of course, would ironically lead to Brexit fall-out dominating the news for the next 2 years as a minimum. May's deal would (I think) be an all-round damp squib, news-wise.
    No deal is also the only thing that frightens the EU. We have to mean it and if necessary go through with it. Joe public understands when you negotiate anything you have to be willing to walk away and the other side need to believe you will. We will.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

As I've stated continually for the last 2 years - it's all Osbourne's fault for destroying the Lib Dems in 2015....
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Re: Diane vs Question Time. Fiona should apologise like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4
  • Options

Anorak said:

FPT:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris

No deal is also the only thing that frightens the EU. We have to mean it and if necessary go through with it. Joe public understands when you negotiate anything you have to be willing to walk away and the other side need to believe you will. We will.
    What makes you think that the EU is frightened of No Deal?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Kamala is a silly name.

But then so was Barak.

Her middle name is Devi. Goddess.

Barak root meaning relates to blessings. Kamala to completeness
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Trump's a man without conviction. He's a man who doesn't know how to sell a contradiction. You come and go, you come and go.
  • Options

Joe public understands when you negotiate anything you have to be willing to walk away and the other side need to believe you will.

An entirely novel concept though to those UK politicians and civil servants who negotiate with the EU on our behalf......
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Trump's a man without conviction. He's a man who doesn't know how to sell a contradiction. You come and go, you come and go.
    Hopefully he won't go to his grave without conviction.
    On multiple counts.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

What's worse is that the whole way Brexit has been handled by May since she became PM has been put the interests of the Tory party first.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is not an element of Mr Tusk padding his own foresight in retrospect here.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Wolfgang Münchau

No one knows how it will end, but I believe that the probability of a no-deal Brexit is higher than you think. Much higher."

https://www.ft.com/content/d468b1f6-1b41-11e9-9e64-d150b3105d21
  • Options

“Kamala Chameleon”?

:D Except contradiction doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest, to the extent he does not even try to sell it ...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    dixiedean said:

On multiple counts.

What's the betting he flees to Moscow the day before he's supposed to hand over power in 2021, and rants at his equally daft followers over twitter for the next 20 years?
  • Options
    If she authorises air strikes she may be known as Bomber Harris...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MTimT said:

:D Except contradiction doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest, to the extent he does not even try to sell it ...

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1087352232582860803

(And yes, I got the Culture Club reference...)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Anything hilarious she says would be Rofl Harris.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

FPT:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris

I accept it would be more than an unwelcome inconvenience for them, but I think part of the reason the 27 have retained their unity is that they don't believe it would be catastrophic. Maybe the Polish noises today are a sign of them blinking, but I still think a collective Gallic shrug, folded arms and people muttering "indivisible four freedoms" is the more likely response.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

If she's tidier than Trump, she could be Anita Harris.....
  • Options
    That's so hubristic and arrogant of Tusk and shows precisely why we are leaving.

The idea that trying to resolve why your own voters are unhappy with Europe is "stupid" is so incredibly undemocratic.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

If she visits Mansfield she'll be John Harris.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

All 17.4 million Tory voters?
  • Options

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

If she went in the sea and put a seagull on her head, she'd be the Isle of Harris.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

FPT:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris

The colour rapidly draining from Leo's face for starters. The Poles who broke ranks today to demand softening of back stop. Others will follow as it sinks it iis really happening The disruption that will follow no deal is not going to be containable to the UK. They understand this and we need to use it. T
  • Options
    All still kicking off in Londonderry

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/derry-on-alert-second-bomb-scare-as-police-clear-homes-37732335.html

"A second security alert is underway in Londonderry after a Royal Mail van was hijacked at gunpoint and abandoned.

Police are currently at the scene of a security alert in the Circular Road area of Londonderry, while another security alert is taking place less than a mile away on Southway."
  • Options

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

Anything affectedly sentimental and she'll be Harris Twee.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/derry-on-alert-second-bomb-scare-as-police-clear-homes-37732335.html

"A second security alert is underway in Londonderry after a Royal Mail van was hijacked at gunpoint and abandoned.

Police are currently at the scene of a security alert in the Circular Road area of Londonderry, while another security alert is taking place less than a mile away on Southway."

All worth it to reinstate properly bendy bananas.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,477
    Cyclefree said:

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Very good...
    Though I suggested it a week ago, I've since noted that her name is pronounced somewhere between Comma-la and Korma-la, so it doesn't quite work.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Quite.

Although perhaps she'll hang on to most of them if she does go No Deal.

"It's what Churchill would have done..."
  • Options
    Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

You really think this is Brexit related?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

FPT:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris

The colour rapidly draining from Leo's face for starters. The Poles who broke ranks today to demand softening of back stop. Others will follow as it sinks it iis really happening The disruption that will follow no deal is not going to be containable to the UK. They understand this and we need to use it. T
    I think the more telling comment from Poland is the accusation Ireland are dictating to the EU
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

No, after over a decade of relative calm, the resurgence of violence and bombs in N. Ireland at the time of intense political discord between the UK and Ireland, and the potential re-introduction of the border, is a complete coincidence.

Non-sarcastic response: I do.
  • Options

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

If she visits Paris she’ll be Mrs Harris.
  • Options
    She'll at least know her Harris from her elbow.
    Which will be an improvement.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Very good...
    Though I suggested it a week ago, I've since noted that her name is pronounced somewhere between Comma-la and Korma-la, so it doesn't quite work.
    As of today, I think we can assume her name is now Cam-a-la
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

If she went in the sea and put a seagull on her head, she'd be the Isle of Harris.
    Can she find a running mate called Lewis?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

No, after over a decade of relative calm, the resurgence of violence and bombs in N. Ireland at the time of intense political discord between the UK and Ireland, and the potential re-introduction of the border, is a complete coincidence.

The word relative is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    And if she had a beard and played the wobble board ... well then she would have precious little chance against Trump. He would make hay with that.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

The word relative is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.
    How many suspected republican/loyalist bombings have there been over the last decade? We've had multiple events this year, and it's only the 21st of January.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

Nothing in there is news.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

And if she had a beard and played the wobble board ... well then she would have precious little chance against Trump. He would make hay with that.
    I think you've had a quote fail, there, old bean.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

Because hijacking a Royal Mail van is all about a hard border in Ireland..... non-sarcastic eye-roll.

Much more likely to be about where the border between one drugs gang and another is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

Anorak said:

Thanks for that. Fixed
    The lead now says she is both.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Andrew said:

dixiedean said:

On multiple counts.

What's the betting he flees to Moscow the day before he's supposed to hand over power in 2021, and rants at his equally daft followers over twitter for the next 20 years?
    The Moscow connection can work the other way. Suppose Putin tires of Trump and decides to cut him loose. The KGB can release any compromising material they have.

Or they can just make it up.

Result: Washington spends the next decade in meltdown.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nothing in there is news.
    To be honest there is enough to deal with than constantly going back in history which has no relevance in finding the solutions we need today. It may console some to play the blame game but that is in the past.

Concentrate on resolving the issues in front of us right now
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

If she offered her views on POTUS 38, she’d be Harris on Ford.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    TOPPING said:

About time someone took a stand over Israel competing in European sporting and cultural events, eh, Nick?
    Expecting a snap election?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

Because hijacking a Royal Mail van is all about a hard border in Ireland..... non-sarcastic eye-roll.

Much more likely to be about where the border between one drugs gang and another is.
    48 hours after a bomb goes off outside a courthouse, and is linked to dissident republicans.

It might be a coincidence, but flat out denial that's it's a possibility because you support Brexit is truly worth of an eye-roll.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Andrew said:

dixiedean said:

On multiple counts.

The Moscow connection can work the other way. Suppose Putin tires of Trump and decides to cut him loose. The KGB can release any compromising material they have.

(imagines film crew with actor in a bouffant ginger wig "taking a shower" in a Moscow hotel room as we speak)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,477

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Very good...
    I take it all back - Chameleon it is:
    https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/735197253153914881
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

48 hours after a bomb goes off outside a courthouse, and is linked to dissident republicans.

It might be a coincidence, but flat out denial that's it's a possibility because you support Brexit is truly worth of an eye-roll.
    The problem remainers have is that they can't be seen to be making the link between the two. It would give the impression that they were supporting terrorism.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, that's rather good.

Of course, if she worked for a Japanese car company she'd be Toyota Harris.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I think you've had a quote fail, there, old bean.

Thanks. Got stuck in there and cleaned it up.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

“Kamala Chameleon”?

Very good...
    I take it all back - Chameleon it is:
    https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/735197253153914881
    That's a very smart ad. My 66/1 bet is looking better
  • Options

Andrew said:

dixiedean said:

On multiple counts.

Indeed. If Moscow wants to cause unrest, and endanger or at least discredit the US political system, the best way would be to undermine Trump, leading to a close, disputed election defeat.
    Assuming he's not a fully-fledged asset, of course.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

You think dissident republicans arrived with Brexit?

Eye-roll.....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

The problem remainers have is that they can't be seen to be making the link between the two. It would give the impression that they were supporting terrorism.
    Enabling, I'd say. Assuming you meant "leavers" there.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

Eye-roll.....
    There are no tanks in Baghdad.
  • Options

If she offered her views on POTUS 38, she’d be Harris on Ford.

:-)

You are ON FIRE.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Er, so Poland has no say in the "European position".....

This isn't going to end well.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

She has not given the impression of recognising that the victory was 52:48 not 70:30 or 90:10. If circa 600,000 voters had voted Remain the victory would have been for Remain. That should have led to a serious attempt to find a solution that tried to overcome divisions not cement them.

Further her concern has been to appease the ERG and DUP, both of whom are unappeasable, pocket any concessions made to them and demand more. And now that we're facing a No Deal exit, the ERG and other Leavers are, contrary to what they said at the time, saying that No Deal is what the country voted for and it will all be fine. They have turned out to be liars.

As has May. Her idea of reaching out to others is to tell them that they have to agree with her.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

She has not given the impression of recognising that the victory was 52:48 not 70:30 or 90:10. If circa 600,000 voters had voted Remain the victory would have been for Remain. That should have led to a serious attempt to find a solution that tried to overcome divisions not cement them.

Further her concern has been to appease the ERG and DUP, both of whom are unappeasable, pocket any concessions made to them and demand more. And now that we're facing a No Deal exit, the ERG and other Leavers are, contrary to what they said at the time, saying that No Deal is what the country voted for and it will all be fine. They have turned out to be liars.

As has May. Her idea of reaching out to others is to tell them that they have to agree with her.
    Corbyn's idea of reaching out to others is to refuse to speak to them.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    But not the one thing everyone else is asking for - ruling out No Deal.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

FPT:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris

I think the more telling comment from Poland is the accusation Ireland are dictating to the EU
    Probably because Poland would like to do the same.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    But not the one thing everyone else is asking for - ruling out No Deal.
    She will not rule it out - it is the one thing to concentrate minds in the EU
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

Eye-roll.....
    There are no tanks in Baghdad.
    There are no points in your comments.....
This discussion has been closed.