Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Govey maintaining and extending his lead in the next CON leade

Comments

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

When did he become 'Govey' ?

Is this some mistaken attempt to humanise him ?

It's the answerphone messages he keeps leaving people, which R4 DeadRingers seem to have hacked into.
    Ah, R4 comedy...

A phrase to strike terror into the strongest psyche.
    And now on Radio 4 it's 6.30 and time for our new comedy series...

AAAAARRRRGGH
    On topic (slightly), the single worst R4 6.30 comedy I've ever heard - and that's quite an accolade - was a political one: "Party". I commend it to anyone for whom the current political situation hasn't induced enough self-loathing. Just Jared's voice is enough to make me want to slit my wrists. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011md4l
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Can it really be true that the Irish government, and the Irish commentariat, have only just realised that a no-deal Brexit means border checks?

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/eu-now-looks-set-to-ask-ireland-to-accept-concessions-37739911.html

"[Varadkar] insisted the backstop is still alive, saying: “We cannot give it up in return for a promise that it will be all right on the night.”

Forget the night - you're gonna be stuffed by lunchtime, Leo....

#OverPlayingYourHand
    It might have been a reasonable assumption that the UK Government would not be so stupid to crash out and the betting markets seem to agree. Can we really been watching a slow motion train crash where the UK and the Tory party are about to split up?

It might have a been a reasonble ssumption that the EU would not let us crash out.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that EU Stooopid Mountain getting any less.
    Why would the EU care - if we crash out no-one is going to even whisper about leaving the EU ever again let alone talk about it...
    Just so sad that I never saw our country's destiny being to become the Luddites of the 21st century.
    Yes, an apt description. All very embarrassing. The country that saved Europe from right wing and left wing populism, only to be seen being sucked down a vortex of irrational political stupidity.
    Nope. Its the Remainers who are the luddites - or more accurately the little Europeans, clinging to Nurse for fear of something worse. The rest of us are looking out to the other 93% of the world's population and the future.

Membership of the EU was political and economic stupidity. Leaving is making a start on correcting that massive, illogical error.
    When do you start the campaign for a free and independent Lincolnshire (apols if wrong county) - out from under the oppressive hand of those overbearing Londoners?
    I have posted many times on here about the need for massive transfers of power from London to the counties and districts so I am already well ahead of you.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,170
    _Anazina_ said:

Friends call him the Govegetter, lovers the Gove Machine, those who work with him the GOVERNATOR.

Now you're talking. And all those 3 rolled into one when he assumes overall strategic command of the brexit trade talks.

The EU will not know what has hit them.

Cunning by us - put our reserve team on the withdrawal treaty, make the EU think that is all we've got and then - bang - unleash our best stuff on what really matters, the future relationship.

Result? - Canada plus with a high tech invisible border, control of ag and fish, and no freedom of movement of anybody from anywhere.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Pulpstar said:

What has/is/was the Polish Gov't saying or doing. They'll refuse to extend Art 50 ?

There was a suggestion that they would argue for a time-limited backstop.
    There was but there was also the reply they gave to the rogue MP yesterday when he made his 'formal' request for them to block an extension. I think they made it pretty clear they were not breaking ranks at that point.

I wonder if anyone can make 'formal' requests to the Polish government? I might formally request a lifetime supply of Begos and Polish Vodka
    Only if your name ends in "ski".
    Damn. Tyndallski? ...nah.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kinabalu said:

Now you're talking. And all those 3 rolled into one when he assumes overall strategic command of the brexit trade talks.

The EU will not know what has hit them.

Cunning by us - put our reserve team on the withdrawal treaty, make the EU think that is all we've got and then - bang - unleash our best stuff on what really matters, the future relationship.

Result? - Canada plus with a high tech invisible border, control of ag and fish, and no freedom of movement of anybody from anywhere.

https://twitter.com/brianspanner1/status/746488316510482433?lang=en
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019

As there any West Indian fans at the cricket? It seems wall to wall rotund shirtless white men in the crowd.

I think the home support is priced out, except in AUS/NZ/SA, by travelling English support that will pay more for tickets.
    Not sure that is the case here, as loads and loads of free seats. Unless they still unwilling to have cheaper tickets for local / the fact they haven't sold out.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

... at the same time those arguing for staying in the EU are doing so because they fear the big wide world...

You have no idea what other people actually think - a classic case of projection.

Personally I think that the EU, although highly imperfect, is the correct direction of travel simply because people benefit when they create stable, regulated groups. I realise that peaceful, stable countries are not as exciting as war & conflict and The Great Game of the 18th and 19th centuries but I know which I would rather live in.

I would much prefer the UK to be in the EU because the benefits outweigh the costs.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Ey up MD.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Chris said:

Looks like the EU will choose to assume that Ireland is in a customs union with the UK and have the same border checks at ports of entry into the EU from Ireland and the UK.

Surely impossible.
    If the EU wants to make an exception it can. There are a number of EU member territories that aren't in the customs union - either having their own customs policies or in a CU with Switzerland.

If it can work for Büsingen am Hochrhein and Campione d'Italia and the adjacent Italian waters of Lake Lugano (which are in customs unions with Switzerland but are in EU member states) then its possible in theory. Not saying it is likely!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970

... at the same time those arguing for staying in the EU are doing so because they fear the big wide world...

You have no idea what other people actually think - a classic case of projection.

Personally I think that the EU, although highly imperfect, is the correct direction of travel simply because people benefit when they create stable, regulated groups. I realise that peaceful, stable countries are not as exciting as war & conflict and The Great Game of the 18th and 19th centuries but I know which I would rather live in.

I would much prefer the UK to be in the EU because the benefits outweigh the costs.
    Hear, hear!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

As there any West Indian fans at the cricket? It seems wall to wall rotund shirtless white men in the crowd.

I think the home support is priced out, except in AUS/NZ/SA, by travelling English support that will pay more for tickets.
    When Pakistan played England in the sandpit a couple of years back, all the travelling white shirts had paid about ten times the walk up price for their tickets, from British tour operators.
  • Options
    JRM continues to insist on the removal of the backstop.

Is it possible he doesn't understand the term? Perhaps someone should try suggesting cricket without a wicket keeper...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,170
    edited January 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Brexiteers and DUP are moving. EU and Ireland seem to be moving slightly too.

DEAL is on the way. IMO. :D

Yep, for sure.

I kind of hope not, the opportunity to observe in real time a bone fida constitutional crisis may never come again, but I do judge it close to inevitable that the withdrawal agreement will sooner or later, and most probably later, be ratified by the House of Commons.
  • Options

When do you start the campaign for a free and independent Lincolnshire (apols if wrong county) - out from under the oppressive hand of those overbearing Londoners?

I have posted many times on here about the need for massive transfers of power from London to the counties and districts so I am already well ahead of you.
    Where does it stop? When you establish the Independent Peoples Republic of Tyndallshire (population 1)? Will you negotiate FTAs with the milkman and electric board?
  • Options
    The original viral Covington video was spread by a Twitter account called @2020fight, a new account with tens of thousands of followers that specialized in incendiary but ideologically inconsistent political content and was attributed to a “teacher” from California, despite using the photograph of a blogger from Brazil.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/23/controversy-students-mock-native-american-strikes-national-chord

Russians pushing fake news from the other side now...

Actually it backs up what Sam Harris podcast guest said the other week at Russian interference in social media, it wasn't setup as pro-Trump, it existed before him and was being used to push discontent.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Government has to govern the country.

Parliament can not govern the country, it's not realistic. Parliament scrutinises the government.

Democracy is electing MPs who then get to choose the government and PM.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Looks like the EU will choose to assume that Ireland is in a customs union with the UK and have the same border checks at ports of entry into the EU from Ireland and the UK.

That would be the most epic climb down by the EU, basically casting off the RoI. I can’t believe they’d do it, unless they want to lose Ireland as a member too?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

Pulpstar said:

What has/is/was the Polish Gov't saying or doing. They'll refuse to extend Art 50 ?

There was but there was also the reply they gave to the rogue MP yesterday when he made his 'formal' request for them to block an extension. I think they made it pretty clear they were not breaking ranks at that point.

I wonder if anyone can make 'formal' requests to the Polish government? I might formally request a lifetime supply of Begos and Polish Vodka
    "I can call monsters from the vasty deep!"
    "Aye, so can I, so can any man. But will they come?"
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,118
    brendan16 said:

Chris said:

Surely impossible.
    If the EU wants to make an exception it can. There are a number of EU member territories that aren't in the customs union - either having their own customs policies or in a CU with Switzerland.

If it can work for Büsingen am Hochrhein and Campione d'Italia and the adjacent Italian waters of Lake Lugano (which are in customs unions with Switzerland but are in EU member states) then its possible in theory. Not saying it is likely!
    But there aren't any border controls between Switzerland and the EU, so that's quite different from what David was suggesting.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Facebook posts shared from Nantes Airport hours before the flight departed on Monday night show Mr Ibbotson talking about being 'a bit rusty with the ILS (Instrument Landing System)'.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8261010/emiliano-sala-plane-pilot-revealed-brit-dave-ibbotson/

There is an ad on US tv at the moment that is a bit like that.
  • Options

I know what they are thinking because they have stated it explicitly on here. Unless you think I should decide they are lying for some strange arcane reason?

The most oft repeated argument I have seen on here for staying in the EU as far as trade is concerned is that we need to be in a big grouping to make sure we can challenge the US and China. It gets said so often no one even challenges it these days. They either agree with it or realise that those who believe it will never be swayed.

And no the benefits if living in the EU in no way outweigh the costs.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Are they hideous?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    TOPPING said:

Are they hideous?
    Well if I were their mums I might suggest more suncream and covering up this early into their holidays as they are looking quite pink already.
  • Options

In your opinion.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

Brexiteers and DUP are moving. EU and Ireland seem to be moving slightly too.

DEAL is on the way. IMO. :D

Yep, for sure.

I kind of hope not, the opportunity to observe in real time a bone fida constitutional crisis may never come again, but I do judge it close to inevitable that the withdrawal agreement will sooner or later, and most probably later, be ratified by the House of Commons.
    Yes it is a constant checking and rechecking of assets, liabilities, contingent liabilities, and exposures before wanting to buckle in and enjoy the No Deal ride.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

So what was Plan B?

How does it differ from Plan A?

Plan A B

Sums it up
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,208
    Curran instead of Broad looking a slightly uninspired choice at the moment.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Odd that Rees-Mogg's speech was being spun as a compromise ahead of time, but in the event it was precisely the opposite.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That would be the most epic climb down by the EU, basically casting off the RoI. I can’t believe they’d do it, unless they want to lose Ireland as a member too?
    It's Ireland who don't want a hard border with Northern Ireland. Having the border between Ireland and the rest of the EU avoids a hard border with NI, effectively Ireland in a customs union and single market with the UK.

Eventual re-union of Ireland and the UK?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,492
    Curran really does not look like a new ball bowler.

Is the idea to get him on long enough to produce footmarks for Rashid to bowl into ?
    Otherwise, I'm not getting it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

When England are 80/5 (as they usually are) and Curran gets 50-60 it won't be....
  • Options

DavidL said:

When England are 80/5 (as they usually are) and Curran gets 50-60 it won't be....
    Woakes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Charles said:

So what was Plan B?

Plan A B

Sums it up
    Plan A 2.0.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    I see they reference 'a' customs union not 'the' customs union! Perhaps if Labour gets its way there will be 'a' single market without state aid rules as opposed to 'the' single market.

If we stay in the single market and customs union what exactly would be the point - as Mrs May might put it nothing has changed (except we lose our voting rights and MEPs).
  • Options
    How do, Mr. Tyndall.

Mrs C, had Remain taken such a basic and simple approach, they would've won the referendum.

Stability does matter, but it's also worth remembering a corpse's pulse rate is stable. The political class salami slicing away at the sausage of public consent is a key cause of the division we now face. An earlier referendum, even on Lisbon, would've been better for almost everyone.

On customs union: staying in that would be bloody stupid. It's not leaving, it was never said by anyone that a vote to leave the EU meant giving them dominion over our customs, and we might as well stay in and have one of 28 chairs around a table rather than commit to be governed without even a fig leaf of democratic representation.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options

Where does it stop? When you establish the Independent Peoples Republic of Tyndallshire (population 1)? Will you negotiate FTAs with the milkman and electric board?
    It is very straight forward. So straight forward even a Remainer should be able to understand it.

Power rests with the individual. They make all the decisions that can be made without needing a collective consideration.

What cannot be decided at that level then moves up to the Parish or neighbourhood level.
    What cannot be decided at that level then moves up to the District level.
    What cannot be decided at that level then moves up to the County level.
    What cannot be decided at that level then moves up to the National level.

By the time you get there, there is basically nothing that cannot be dealt with. If there is a need for multinational action then it can be taken through multinational bodies such as the UN or WTO or through bilateral agreements. But no power is surrendered from the national level.

Now you engage in your childish little logical fallacy of reductio ad absurdum but it works of course the other way. The opposite argument to the non-existent 'Peoples Republic of Tyndallshire' is one world government that controls every aspect of your life. Neither are likely or desirable. So your argument, as it usually does, fails.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Nigelb said:

Curran really does not look like a new ball bowler.

Is the idea to get him on long enough to produce footmarks for Rashid to bowl into ?
    Otherwise, I'm not getting it.

Unfortunately, England don’t have another opening bowler at the moment. They need to find one ASAP, preferable somebody with genuine pace.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

"I can call monsters from the vasty deep!"
    "Aye, so can I, so can any man. But will they come?"
    Indeed. But if they do I hope they bring Begos and Vodka :)
  • Options
    The Cooper amendment is the HOC speaking to the HOC

Any extension to A50 will need to be focused, and have Parliamentary support, as the EU will not allow us to carry on in deadlock. Why would they with their elections starting in mid April. Are they going to allow the UK to elect our mps and if not, see a legal challenge, as we would still be members

The only way the EU will accept an extension is if a deal is signed and needs a few weeks for parliamentary procedures, or to arrange a second referendum or a GE
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:
    The privy council is huge, close to 700 members. This must refer to one of the committees (perhaps the cabinet itself, which is actually a committee of the council?)
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

Practice for the Ashes for Curran, rest for Broad ? It will look foolish if the pitch doesn’t take spin.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The privy council is huge, close to 700 members. This must refer to one of the committees (perhaps the cabinet itself, which is actually a committee of the council?)

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/1088084168196538369
  • Options

It is very straight forward. So straight forward even a Remainer should be able to understand it.

Power rests with the individual. They make all the decisions that can be made without needing a collective consideration.

What cannot be decided at that level then moves up to the Parish or neighbourhood level.

By the time you get there, there is basically nothing that cannot be dealt with. If there is a need for multinational action then it can be taken through multinational bodies such as the UN or WTO or through bilateral agreements. But no power is surrendered from the national level.

Now you engage in your childish little logical fallacy of reductio ad absurdum but it works of course the other way. The opposite argument to the non-existent 'Peoples Republic of Tyndallshire' is one world government that controls every aspect of your life. Neither are likely or desirable. So your argument, as it usually does, fails.
    And what happens when other nations don't agree to stick to your view of how the world should be run and form supranational political structures?
  • Options

In your opinion.
    There are a lot of unquantifiable benefits. Freedom of movement is only one, and what it leads to, the liberation of ideas, the feeling that one can go and do things, as opposed to being constrained by national borders.
    Yes, we can go to Australia or Canada, but it's a major exercise, not a matter of a short flight or a ferry.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,587

Sandpit said:

It's Ireland who don't want a hard border with Northern Ireland. Having the border between Ireland and the rest of the EU avoids a hard border with NI, effectively Ireland in a customs union and single market with the UK.

Eventual re-union of Ireland and the UK?
    100 years after the ROI became independent, you expect it to reunite with the UK?

Delusional doesn't cover it!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    When Anderson’s body finally packs in, I have bugger all idea what England are going to do on the bowling front. Nobody they have tried in the past 5 years has looked world class.
  • Options
    King Cole, bit unfair, given both those examples are rather further away than Europe.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Surely we know by now that the leading leavers will say whatever best suits their agenda at the time

In July 2017, Boris Johnson declared: “There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal.

David Davis declared in 2012: “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.”

20 July 2017, Liam Fox, the International Trade Secretary, predicted that a new British trade deal with the EU would be “one of the easiest in human history”

I could go on, but you get the gist
  • Options

hehe. Take back control
  • Options

Pure Libertarianism or possibly anarchy. Neither of which have ever worked.

Cooperation and togetherness, OTOH, is how humanity has made progress.
  • Options

And what happens when other nations don't agree to stick to your view of how the world should be run and form supranational political structures?
    They eventually collapse under their own inconsistencies.

Besides just because all the rest of the boys were throwing stones at the dog doesn't mean you have to join in and do the same.
  • Options

How do, Mr. Tyndall.

Mrs C, had Remain taken such a basic and simple approach, they would've won the referendum.

Stability does matter, but it's also worth remembering a corpse's pulse rate is stable. The political class salami slicing away at the sausage of public consent is a key cause of the division we now face. An earlier referendum, even on Lisbon, would've been better for almost everyone.

On customs union: staying in that would be bloody stupid. It's not leaving, it was never said by anyone that a vote to leave the EU meant giving them dominion over our customs, and we might as well stay in and have one of 28 chairs around a table rather than commit to be governed without even a fig leaf of democratic representation.

Au contraire Mr D - many people said that Leaving meant losing control, but not enough people believed it, or possibly just did not care.
  • Options

King Cole, bit unfair, given both those examples are rather further away than Europe.

Exactly. Leaving the EU means putting barriers in the way of our neighbours on the ground that we can visit our emigrant relations.
  • Options

Now now Richard "even a Remainer can understand it" is really rather silly, considering, present company excepted, Leave voters and advocates are not exactly at the top of the IQ pyramid, to put it politely!
  • Options

That doesn't require a single state. Independent states can cooperate on matters just fine.
  • Options

Besides just because all the rest of the boys were throwing stones at the dog doesn't mean you have to join in and do the same.
    Using personal analogies for relations between states always leads to muddled thinking.
  • Options

How is that pure libertarianism or pure anarchy? That was well organised with multiple layers.

Cooperation can happen between nations without becoming a solitary nation. Uniformity is not how we make progress, competition and diversity is. Its funny how people who think diversity in other areas of life is a good thing view uniformity and a lack of diversity internationally as appealing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Its a truly terrible idea. So bad it ranks alongside Francis' attitude to books. It really is that bad.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:
    Surely we know by now that the leading leavers will say whatever best suits their agenda at the time

In July 2017, Boris Johnson declared: “There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal.

David Davis declared in 2012: “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.”
    What was that about ensuring our Parliament t was sovereign?
  • Options

In your opinion.
    Of course. I have never claimed to speak for those less enlightened or informed than myself.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Get the spinners on
  • Options

Using personal analogies for relations between states always leads to muddled thinking.
    And that is your sole answer? Go away and bring back the real William. He is much more fun.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

_Anazina_ said:

Sam Curran in instead of Stuart Broad and England playing two spinners...

Very big call. I feel for the furniture, crockery and IT equipment in the England team room right now.
    I actually don't think it is that big of a call.

Broad is now a total rabbit with the bat, and I have said for years that England standard attack of Anderson, Broad, Stokes, Woakes + Wood / Finn / Whatever other duffer they have tried, is far too samey in they are all right arm, similar pace (albeit Anderson is swing vs Broad seam).
    Oh for heaven's sake. They are just throwing a ball at a man with a bat. How hard can it be?
    The ball's quite hard, and so's the bat. The man varies.
  • Options
    Mrs C, nobody proposed staying in the customs union.

This is because May's incompetent, Leavers have gone barking at the Moon and the Remain side have dug their heels to try and resist actually implementing what was voted for.

A Parliament of Remain MPs voting to give the EU permanent power over our trade with not even the pretence of UK influence cannot be said by any reasonable person to be in accordance with the referendum result.

King Cole, I don't follow your point, I'm afraid.
  • Options

Now now Richard "even a Remainer can understand it" is really rather silly, considering, present company excepted, Leave voters and advocates are not exactly at the top of the IQ pyramid, to put it politely!
    I am in a whimsical mood this afternoon. Just back from working away and have spent too much time watching 'The Good Place'.
  • Options

By the time you get there, there is basically nothing that cannot be dealt with.....
    Well we aren't making a spectacular success of dealing with it at the national level right now...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,118

Scott_P said:
    Its a truly terrible idea. So bad it ranks alongside Francis' attitude to books. It really is that bad.
    It seems that the Canadian parliament was prorogued in 2008 in order to prevent a no-confidence vote.
  • Options

LOL. What I have described is neither pure Libertarianism nor anarchy.
  • Options

In your opinion.
    Of course. I have never claimed to speak for those less enlightened or informed than myself.
    An enlightened and informed UKIP voter. Gosh! How does it feel to be in a minority of 1?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    JRM proves my point about the IQ pyramid....
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    AndyJS said:
    All this polling basically shows the same. 50% want to remain no matter what is offered, 50% think leave means leave at all costs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

By the time you get there, there is basically nothing that cannot be dealt with.....
    Well we aren't making a spectacular success of dealing with it at the national level right now...
    We have made a mess of it for the past 45 years. What we are doing now is trying to put that right.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

The original viral Covington video was spread by a Twitter account called @2020fight, a new account with tens of thousands of followers that specialized in incendiary but ideologically inconsistent political content and was attributed to a “teacher” from California, despite using the photograph of a blogger from Brazil.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/23/controversy-students-mock-native-american-strikes-national-chord

Actually it backs up what Sam Harris podcast guest said the other week at Russian interference in social media, it wasn't setup as pro-Trump, it existed before him and was being used to push discontent.

What was an unpleasant spat - and it wasn't all one sided - is now turning into social media hysteria on both sides and a witch hunt with death threats, protests outside the school these kids attend even bomb threats which has led to its closure and general over the top actions. Maybe the answer is for everyone to take a deep breath and CALM DOWN!

Perhaps this Washington post article might give the perspective needed - which perhaps is missing from the Guardian article. As with Brexit things are never that simple or one sided.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/22/covington-fracas-is-mess-let-it-be/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9873a7241fb8

• Options

AndyJS said:
    All this polling basically shows the same. 50% want to remain no matter what is offered, 50% think leave means leave at all costs.
    Another view would say 45% want to leave at all costs, though I suspect they expect that cost will be met by somebody that is not them.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Another view would say 45% want to leave at all costs, though I suspect they expect that cost will be met by somebody that is not them.
    Wasn’t there confusion amongst some no dealers who thought it meant staying in the EU?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

We have made a mess of it for the past 45 years. What we are doing now is trying to put that right.
    I've seen that argument before; that all our woes in the last 40 odd years are the fault of the EU.
    Can't follow it myself. I thought we'd had Government's who'd made decisions.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ROFL.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,360
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Brexiteers sound a lot like supporters of the Enabling Act of 1933.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

What was an unpleasant spat - and it wasn't all one sided - is now turning into social media hysteria on both sides and a witch hunt with death threats, protests outside the school these kids attend even bomb threats which has led to its closure and general over the top actions. Maybe the answer is for everyone to take a deep breath and CALM DOWN!

Perhaps this Washington post article might give the perspective needed - which perhaps is missing from the Guardian article. As with Brexit things are never that simple or one sided.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/22/covington-fracas-is-mess-let-it-be/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9873a7241fb8

“Hebrew Israelites screaming homophobic profanity” - why did they miss out also racist profanity or does calling a white person a cracker not considered racist?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

AndyJS said:
    With A Withdrawal Agreement, or with May's Withdrawal Agreement? 49% prepared to leave with May's deal seems like a considerable advance for what we are constantly told is a dead deal if so....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I've seen that argument before; that all our woes in the last 40 odd years are the fault of the EU.
    I certainly don't say all of our problems. But membership of the EU certainly hasn't helped and has in many ways hindered our progress as a nation.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You must have a very glass half empty view of recent history. The last 45 years have been an unparalleled success by virtually every measure if you are fortunate to have been born a westerner. The only downsides are probably environmental, though even that has its optimistic aspects in the sense people are beginning to take notice. You allow your hatred of the EU to cloud what has been an amazing period of enlightenment, now sadly to be replaced by a period of populism and general gullibility .
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I certainly don't say all of our problems. But membership of the EU certainly hasn't helped and has in many ways hindered our progress as a nation.
    You're ambivalent about what that nation is, so your fanaticism is hard to take seriously even on its own terms.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Wasn’t there confusion amongst some no dealers who thought it meant staying in the EU?
    Isn't there confusion for everyone right now?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Really, really don't see it.
  • Options

You must have a very glass half empty view of recent history. The last 45 years have been an unparalleled success by virtually every measure if you are fortunate to have been born a westerner. The only downsides are probably environmental, though even that has its optimistic aspects in the sense people are beginning to take notice. You allow your hatred of the EU to cloud what has been an amazing period of enlightenment, now sadly to be replaced by a period of populism and general gullibility .
    I completely agree :+1:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    HM rule by decree? We could do worse... :p
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    ERG meets Zanu PF. They will be occupying Remain owned farms next
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Charles said:

So what was Plan B?

Plan A B

Sums it up
    Plan A 2.0.
    Plan A 1.2 more like
This discussion has been closed.