Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling finds that leaving the EU with the deal is the lea

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

What will England do when jimmy Anderson’s body finally packs in?

That's like asking what will happen when Her Majesty leaves us, you're not supposed to ask.
    The alternatives are so shit, Jimmy could end up being in the team as long as her maj has been on the throne.
  • Options

Eeek! I clicked on that and got a Norton Security (which i don't have installed) '5 Virus' warning. Site must be infected with malware. Best avoided.
    I get a similar warning on my MacBook.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    IanB2 said:

Fears are growing internationally that a no-deal Brexit poses a threat to the stability of the global economy, the head of Britain’s leading business body has warned. Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the CBI, said the failure to sort out Britain’s departure from the European Union was damaging Britain’s brand abroad and had joined a list of systemic risks to the world economy.

https://order-order.com/2019/01/22/oecd-chief-says-wto-brexit-will-seamless-low-cost/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    IanB2 said:

The "As it stands" gives the game away that Esther knows the writing is on the wall.
    However we might leave, it is becoming increasingly clear that we aren't ready and cannot be made ready by the end of March. Postponement is inevitable. .
    Delay, sure, but after decision. Not remain by the back door kicking into the long grass that parliament is seeking. We should remain, but they should not trick people into it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Floater said:

Eeek! I clicked on that and got a Norton Security (which i don't have installed) '5 Virus' warning. Site must be infected with malware. Best avoided.
    Nice try - nothing wrong with the link according to my software
    I hadn't clicked on it but I get a warning too...
  • Options

The "As it stands" gives the game away that Esther knows the writing is on the wall.
    I'm starting to think it would be worth a no deal crisis just to see these people get found out.
    I've been there for two years.

Only my concern for my fellow Brits wants me to stop it happening.
    Your Fellow Brits voted for it. F*ck 'em.
    I don't blame them.

I blame the Leave politicians that promised them at Leaving would be easy, that we held all the aces, and there'd be nothing but sunlit uplands.

Who do you blame, the scam artist(s) or the ones who got scammed?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm starting to think it would be worth a no deal crisis just to see these people get found out.

Funny, we keep being told no one knew what they voted for.
    Let them lash out in all directions if it makes them feel better
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited January 2019
    I’d be interested in exactly the same polling on national leaders
  • Options
    Jimmy strikes yet again...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

So the government and its supporters are still holding the nation to ransom with threats of no deal.

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

Or No Dealers to ransom with threats of remain
    May is perpetually disappointing. Rather than trying to find a compromise she has spent the week spinning against others trying to undermine them to force her deal.

May has got the only compromise the EU will give and which keeps enough Brexiteers on board, it is People's Vote diehard Remainers and 'Leave means Leave' diehard Leavers refusing to compromise
    Are you arguing that the result in parliament was close enough for there to be another vote?
    Are you arguing there is a closer alternative proposal in Parliament?
    Closer than the biggest defeat in history? Yes.
    You just can't tell us what it is.....
    If May whipped any of alternatives it would beat the deal.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

kle4 said:

That's like asking what will happen when Her Majesty leaves us, you're not supposed to ask.
    The alternatives are so shit, Jimmy could end up being in the team as long as her maj has been on the throne.
    Anderson currently 23-12-32-4.
  • Options

I don't blame them.

I blame the Leave politicians that promised them at Leaving would be easy, that we held all the aces, and there'd be nothing but sunlit uplands.

Who do you blame, the scam artist(s) or the ones who got scammed?
    Apparently it’s now ok to vote twice. So don’t worry.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

Also (FPT): Here's the data split by 2016 vote. The deal is acceptable to an absolute majority of Leavers, and also a majority of Remainers (once you remove DKs). The No Deal / No Brexit options are predictably polarising.

To be fair, acceptability is not quite the same as approval, but the Deal looks like the only option for moving on.

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/1088097071863947264

I’m sorry, Tissue, OGH. All lovers of WA and FA. Being extremely on topic here, unless that deal changes quite a lot in a short space of time, in a way appearing completely unlikely, the brexiteers are not voting for it. The parliamentary Labour Party will have to disintegrate with enough voting for it, and that’s not likely either.

The only definition of leave left in play now is the one between Bernard Jenkins ears, because that is the law of the land, and it should be clear to all of us nothing can stop it. a law created by executive and parliament working in harmony. On 29th of March UK voluntarily rips up its frictionless trade deal with the EU, and the only means of stopping it is the revoke button on the desk of the Prime Minister. Votes won on motions in parliament are meaningless because they don’t carry the power.

I See Theresa May as completely honest and completely right, it’s impossible to hit that button. The politics of revoke is that our country is tribally divided on this now, that revoke button can’t be hit in the next six months, in fact years or even decades till we come back together in agreement as a people (minus Scotland who with hard brexit will be gone by then) to the extent that button can be hit. The politics just doesn’t allow it. Opposition voices saying she can do it either disingenuous or live in La la land. Any voice saying parliament can stop it equally in la la land.

It is happening folks, the disorderly brexit with everyone blaming each other.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,396
    edited January 2019

Jimmy strikes yet again...

I tell who is man of the match.

That chap that's been dressed like Charlie Chaplin, replete with morning suit and waistcoat, all day.

In that heat!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Unicorn hunting remains as popular an activity as ever on pb. If only the EU will drop one of its constant demands since the outset on the offchance that a deal might just about be sellable to a bunch of wingnuts who are only lightly tethered to reality, it'll all be done and dusted.

That's a bit harsh, Alistair. I would have said Grieve was fairly solidly anchored in reality. Corbyn, of course, is a different matter but we all know he'll vote for No Deal anyway.
    Corbyn has now said No Deal must be ruled out and will consider EUref2 if he cannot get through his plans for a general election or permanent Customs Union
    Corbyn also said he didn't know Paul Eisen, didn't have a seat on a train, had a fully costed manifesto and condemned violence by all sides in Venezuela and Iran.

I judge him by his deeds, not his words. I still say he is aiming for no deal.
    Whereas those who judge him a Commie Spy a Putin Puppet a terrorist sympathiser and an Anti Semite judge him neither on his words or deeds. They just hope their pathetic smears work better than at GE 2017.

IMO they would be better off developing some actual policies.

Except perhaps they are Intellectually Bankrupt and dont have an answer to Corbyns.

https://twitter.com/the_awakend/status/1029685536951345152

Explain why Labour let so many of those suspended back in on the quiet.

His own words and actions speak louder than anything you can offer to try and deflect the criticism

Oh - this is another lovely Labour member

https://order-order.com/2019/01/23/labour-candidate-tower-hamlets-fan-banned-bin-laden-hate-preacher/

• Options
    dots said:

Theresa May will need to be our Gorbachev. If we do get a no deal Brexit, we may be looking at a top-down dissolution of the UK.
  • Options
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Unicorn hunting remains as popular an activity as ever on pb. If only the EU will drop one of its constant demands since the outset on the offchance that a deal might just about be sellable to a bunch of wingnuts who are only lightly tethered to reality, it'll all be done and dusted.

That's a bit harsh, Alistair. I would have said Grieve was fairly solidly anchored in reality. Corbyn, of course, is a different matter but we all know he'll vote for No Deal anyway.
    Corbyn has now said No Deal must be ruled out and will consider EUref2 if he cannot get through his plans for a general election or permanent Customs Union
    Corbyn also said he didn't know Paul Eisen, didn't have a seat on a train, had a fully costed manifesto and condemned violence by all sides in Venezuela and Iran.

Whereas those who judge him a Commie Spy a Putin Puppet a terrorist sympathiser and an Anti Semite judge him neither on his words or deeds. They just hope their pathetic smears work better than at GE 2017.

Except perhaps they are Intellectually Bankrupt and dont have an answer to Corbyns.

His own words and actions speak louder than anything you can offer to try and deflect the criticism

https://order-order.com/2019/01/23/labour-candidate-tower-hamlets-fan-banned-bin-laden-hate-preacher/

Yet the other night you said you would vote for a party led by someone who has uttered a well known anti-Semitic trope, someone who was condemned by many Jewish organisations.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973

Mortimer said:

And you’re posting this to highlight that the EU have a weakness in this area? Because that’s what it shows.
    Seems like evidence Hannan knows what he's talking about regarding potential trade opportunities and deals with nations like India.
    Hannan is a proven charlatan with no real interest in trade policy whatsoever.
    Rubbish. Hannan is nothing of the kind. Trade is about the only thing Hannan is genuinely passionate about and he rightly sees the EU as increasingly protectionist.
    The deleted tweet claims we pay a 32% tariff on wine from Chile. Hannan has no passion for trade; it’s purely a prop for his 19th century revivalist act.

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/785601063294476292?s=21
    Hardly conclusive or definitive.
    It was just the first example that came to mind. Here’s another one: he falsely claims Canadian ice wine is prohibited in the EU.

He obviously doesn't ever shop in Lidl. Bought some of this for Christmas and very delicious it was too.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?articleId=17771
    How does that compare to the £14.99 Aldi version (for which we made a one off trip to purchase a few bottles back in November).

Only asking as lidl will be a shorter walk when it opens later this year
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Drutt said:

kle4 said:

Anderson currently 23-12-32-4.
    I knew he was knocking on a bit, but I thought he was more like 38.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited January 2019
    dots said:

Also (FPT): Here's the data split by 2016 vote. The deal is acceptable to an absolute majority of Leavers, and also a majority of Remainers (once you remove DKs). The No Deal / No Brexit options are predictably polarising.

To be fair, acceptability is not quite the same as approval, but the Deal looks like the only option for moving on.

I’m sorry, Tissue, OGH. All lovers of WA and FA. Being extremely on topic here, unless that deal changes quite a lot in a short space of time, in a way appearing completely unlikely, the brexiteers are not voting for it. The parliamentary Labour Party will have to disintegrate with enough voting for it, and that’s not likely either.

The only definition of leave left in play now is the one between Bernard Jenkins ears, because that is the law of the land, and it should be clear to all of us nothing can stop it. a law created by executive and parliament working in harmony. On 29th of March UK voluntarily rips up its frictionless trade deal with the EU, and the only means of stopping it is the revoke button on the desk of the Prime Minister. Votes won on motions in parliament are meaningless because they don’t carry the power.

I See Theresa May as completely honest and completely right, it’s impossible to hit that button. The politics of revoke is that our country is tribally divided on this now, that revoke button can’t be hit in the next six months, in fact years or even decades till we come back together in agreement as a people (minus Scotland who with hard brexit will be gone by then) to the extent that button can be hit. The politics just doesn’t allow it. Opposition voices saying she can do it either disingenuous or live in La la land. Any voice saying parliament can stop it equally in la la land.

I fear you may be right. The only question now is when will we get the first Leaver blaming WTO rules for our suffering and saying we should have gone for an even 'cleaner' break.
  • Options

Floater said:

I hadn't clicked on it but I get a warning too...
    I got a box saying saying ‘warning. McVey Virus. Volunteer for No Deal contingency exercise now for unlock code’. 😐
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

So the government and its supporters are still holding the nation to ransom with threats of no deal.

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

May is perpetually disappointing. Rather than trying to find a compromise she has spent the week spinning against others trying to undermine them to force her deal.

May has got the only compromise the EU will give and which keeps enough Brexiteers on board, it is People's Vote diehard Remainers and 'Leave means Leave' diehard Leavers refusing to compromise
    Are you arguing that the result in parliament was close enough for there to be another vote?
    That's a planet-sized if. Ain't happening.So you are no further forward....
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526
    It seems to me there are now only two likely possibilities for the state of play on 29th March: either TMs deal (modified a bit?) will have passed and we shall have left, or we will be in the position where TMs deal (modified a bit?) is clearly in process but a delay has been permitted to get the practicalities done. Any takers?
  • Options
    Floater said:

This is the link to avoid.

https://bitly.com/a/warning?hash=2S8iRvM&url=http://maielk.trade/?9642

Nothing to do with your installed software - the site is trying to dupe you into clicking on a button that will doubtless install all sorts of nasties.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2019
    "The global tech war threatens the 'Westphalian order' and liberal democracy

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in Davos"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/01/23/global-tech-war-threatens-westphalian-order-liberal-democracy/
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973
    algarkirk said:

It seems to me there are now only two likely possibilities for the state of play on 29th March: either TMs deal (modified a bit?) will have passed and we shall have left, or we will be in the position where TMs deal (modified a bit?) is clearly in process but a delay has been permitted to get the practicalities done. Any takers?

I just don’t see May’s deal passing. WTO terms are also unlikely to be workable as companies panic (note I don’t care I sell software in mainly dollars and euros so my income will remain consistent) so the question really is who blinks first
  • Options
    Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Fears are growing internationally that a no-deal Brexit poses a threat to the stability of the global economy, the head of Britain’s leading business body has warned. Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the CBI, said the failure to sort out Britain’s departure from the European Union was damaging Britain’s brand abroad and had joined a list of systemic risks to the world economy.

https://order-order.com/2019/01/22/oecd-chief-says-wto-brexit-will-seamless-low-cost/
    I started stockpiling the breathers, blood thinners and other drugs my family need last week, if any family is going to miss out it will be those who fail to realise we rip up the frictionless trade deal with EU on 29 March, it can’t be stopped, it’s the law, and a law the divided politics can’t stop.

I think the chaos will last more than six months, but I don’t think the chaos and pain of disorderly exit will define Brexit. there’s a lot of investment into UK not just European but further afield, and a lot of good paying jobs based on that investment. When we rip up frictionless trade with EU how much of that investment depended on being able to exploit the frictionless trade? What can be put in place to mitigate that? It is that equation in coming years that will define Brexit.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

And she should. I am astounded that no matter how many times the EU confirms that she was right to say they won't reopen the deal, she keeps acting like a few people softening on the deal sans a major part of it, is progress.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

That's a planet-sized if. Ain't happening.So you are no further forward....
    Underlines that May is the problem.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    dots said:

Yep. 45% happy with no deal. That is the really interesting statistic.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I ham slowly coming to the same conclusion. Not to worry though the leavers will have an excuse for every eventuality
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

And she should. I am astounded that no matter how many times the EU confirms that she was right to say they won't reopen the deal, she keeps acting like a few people softening on the deal sans a major part of it, is progress.
    She’s too arrogant/stubborn/dumb . She wants everyone to move except her essentially blackmailing is to do what she wants despite it being defeated by the biggest parliamentary vote ever.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

What you'd prove would be that people who do stupid nationalistic things blame the results on foreigners, not on doing stupid nationalistic things.

If someone knows about the First World War and still has this mindset you're not going to suddenly jolt them out of it by making their grandchildren unemployed or temporarily depriving them of cucumbers.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

I started stockpiling the breathers, blood thinners and other drugs my family need last week, if any family is going to miss out it will be those who fail to realise we rip up the frictionless trade deal with EU on 29 March, it can’t be stopped, it’s the law, and a law the divided politics can’t stop.

I think the chaos will last more than six months, but I don’t think the chaos and pain of disorderly exit will define Brexit. there’s a lot of investment into UK not just European but further afield, and a lot of good paying jobs based on that investment. When we rip up frictionless trade with EU how much of that investment depended on being able to exploit the frictionless trade? What can be put in place to mitigate that? It is that equation in coming years that will define Brexit.
    How are you stockpiling prescription drugs?
    Stopping taking them until brexit day?
    Writing your own prescriptions?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    OllyT said:

I ham slowly coming to the same conclusion. Not to worry though the leavers will have an excuse for every eventuality
    The issue has always been whether 'no deal' is so bad that it is worth the political consequences of not leaving.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Asking for repeat prescriptions a bit early works. I’m told.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2019
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Antisemitism, by which I am especially referring to (anti) Jewish semites, has always for me been impossible to understand. That there are only a few million Jews makes it more unfathomable. I can only surmise that it's based on some kind of jealousy.

If any Labour member can be rigorously shown, usually by the printed word, to be antisemite, he or she should be summarily relieved of Labour party membership(. full stop) Although I am open to correction here, I think this is where Corbyn is inadequate.
  • Options

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Being the son of a doctor also works.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    nielh said:

OllyT said:

The issue has always been whether 'no deal' is so bad that it is worth the political consequences of not leaving.
    I don't get the impression that many of the hard leavers are worried about the political consequences. Or indeed any of the consequences.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

It is against GMC guidance to precribe for family members, so be careful.

Creeping forward with repeat prescriptions is quite straightforward to stock up a few extra weeks

I cannot see this really being a problem myself.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Floater said:

Nothing to do with your installed software - the site is trying to dupe you into clicking on a button that will doubtless install all sorts of nasties.
    Either McVey's account has been hacked; or she's redirecting to a site that's been hacked; or she typed the wrong URL into her tweet, and some enterprising scammer snapped up the mistyped URL to put malware on. (My betting's on the latter FWIW.)

But it doesn't exactly augur well for those "technological solutions" that Brexiters like her claim will make the backstop unnecessary...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Creeping forward with repeat prescriptions is quite straightforward to stock up a few extra weeks

I know, but he knows quite a lot of doctors at our local surgery, some are in fact in neighbours.

Am on about seven meds at the moment, but I'd struggle without my gabapentin 300.
  • Options
    I am not clear on this but if no deal is off the table and the deal is off the table and there are 4 weeks remaining ( ie 26th Feb to 29th March ) to legislate I assume we automatically no deal exit

I am happy to be wrong
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Checking my prescription I get two months at a time and I can order a repeat prescription 1 month after the previous has been fulfilled. It states the earliest date for a repeat prescription on the prescription. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

She’s too arrogant/stubborn/dumb . She wants everyone to move except her essentially blackmailing is to do what she wants despite it being defeated by the biggest parliamentary vote ever.
    Move to what? If permanent customs union, permanent single market and EUref2 are all voted down in the Commons over the next few weeks then the Deal must be reconsidered as the only alternative to No Deal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

Move to what? If permanent customs union, permanent single market and EUref2 are all voted down in the Commons over the next few weeks then the Deal must be reconsidered as the only alternative to No Deal
    You are highly selective about what can be reconsidered. Why should only the deal be conveniently revived? Why not another less heavily defeated option.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

You are highly selective about what can be reconsidered. Why should only the deal be conveniently revived? Why not another less heavily defeated option.
    Which is the less heavily defeated option. We have only had one voted on so far
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

I don't get the impression that many of the hard leavers are worried about the political consequences. Or indeed any of the consequences.
    The political consequences of "no deal" would fall on such as Soubry, Grieve and the bulk of the Labour Party who voted to trigger A50 in the first place.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019
    Luke Johnson, the multimillionaire chairman of collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, has extracted more than £40m from the business since the cafe group floated on the stock market less than five years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/23/patisserie-valerie-cafes-shut-old-compton-street-london

What a disgraceful headline / first paragraph. They make it sound like he was up to no good “extracting” money out of the company, when he was just selling some shares and in fact has just lost £13 million of it back and all because it appears a large scale accounting fraud occurred which was nothing to do with him.
  • Options
    I

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

Which is the less heavily defeated option. We have only had one voted on so far
    48:52
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Luke Johnson, the multimillionaire chairman of collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, has extracted more than £40m from the business since the cafe group floated on the stock market less than five years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/23/patisserie-valerie-cafes-shut-old-compton-street-london

What a disgraceful headline / first paragraph. They make it sound like he was up to no good “extracting” money out of the company, when he was just selling some shares and in fact has just lost £13 million of it back and all because it appears a large scale accounting fraud occurred which was nothing to do with him.

Well.. it is the Gruainiad.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

The political consequences of "no deal" would fall on such as Soubry, Grieve and the bulk of the Labour Party who voted to trigger A50 in the first place.
    Rubbish.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    nielh said:

OllyT said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

The hardliners have used the fact that most people would wish to honour the referendum result to manoeuvre us into a type of Brexit that would almost certainly have seen them lose the referendum if they had been honest and upfront about their intentions during the campaign.

Clever but duplicitous. So if the country wants to leave on WTO terms then so be it. There won't be much sympathy in this household if the warnings are accurate. Sadly those that suffer the financial consequences won't be the Moggs and Johnsons of this world.
  • Options
    Every step that has been undertaken, leave and remain, has been heavily trailed in the media, even one on one Cabinet discussions are, what counts as secret in this context?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

Rubbish.
    It would fall on the whole political establishment. No one gets a pass on this
  • Options

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

Rubbish.

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

Rubbish.
    It would fall on the whole political establishmentz. No one gets a pass on this
    The SNP will certainly get a pass. The whole debacle makes their point for them. Westminster/Whitehall is broken.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The timing of the EU and its various establishments and institutions, can at times be exceptional indeed, as the ECJ case on A50 shows.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

Rubbish.
    Some more than others. People are not about to start voting for entirely new parties en masse, so they'll have to make the same judgement of least worst.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

May is perpetually disappointing. Rather than trying to find a compromise she has spent the l.

It depends on the numbers, the Deal could even have got more votes than the alternatives.

If not, most No Dealers may switch to the Deal to give the Deal a narrow majority rather than risk allowing permanent Customs Union/Single Market or Remain v Deal EUref2 getting a narrow majority on a second vote
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284
    edited January 2019

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

The "As it stands" gives the game away that Esther knows the writing the wall.
    Rubbish.
    It would fall on the whole political establishmentz. No one gets a pass on this
    The SNP will certainly get a pass. The whole debacle makes their point for them. Westminster/Whitehall is broken.

Not really. They are doing everything to stop a UK wide referendum being carried out
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

It depends on the numbers, the Deal could even get more votes than the alternatives.

If not, No Dealers may switch to the Deal to give the Deal a narrow majority rather than risk allowing permanent Customs Union/Single Market or Remain v EUref2 getting a narrow majority on a second vote
    This is the same stuff we had all Autumn and over Xmas. Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Jonathan said:

Ah, but now it will be different because...because it will, ok? They had no pressure then, and so much time, and it's not like parliamentarians are getting ready to give themselves more time and less pressure now.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing
    Has
    Changed.

And she should. I am astoundprogress.
    You are highly selective about what cer less heavily defeated option.
    It depends on the numbers, the Deal could even get more votes than the alternatives.

If not, No Dealers may s
    Everything will have changed once the SM/CU and EUref2 votes have been held, then if they have been defeated too the Deal comes back into play, while if they are only narrowly defeated No Dealers will start to switch to the Deal to avoid BINO or Remain v Deal EUref2 on a second vote
  • Options
    Bohemian Rhapsody director Bryan Singer has reportedly been accused of sexually assaulting and sleeping with a string of under-age boys.

The allegations come from an article in The Atlantic, which quotes four men who it says haven't spoken publicly before.
  • Options

Floater said:

Ahh - I just looked at the video - well done for pointing out anything else which would impact peoples systems
  • Options

Bohemian Rhapsody director Bryan Singer has reportedly been accused of sexually assaulting and sleeping with a string of under-age boys.

The allegations come from an article in The Atlantic, which quotes four men who it says haven't spoken publicly before.

Not the first time with such accusations. Wasn't he kicked off working on the movie part way through or something?
  • Options
    nielh said:

OllyT said:

The point of not making any preparation for two years was to make it so bad, by default. The real worry should for those complicit in this, if we still somehow No Deal Brexit with hardly any planning. Any other sphere of public life, they'd probably be facing criminal charges.
  • Options
    If labour are perceived to be trying to block brexit they will pay a heavy price in leave voting areas
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,206
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Ahh - I just looked at the video - well done for pointing out anything else which would impact peoples systems
    Get to Know WTO?

These people are insane.

Bring back Thatcher.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Every step that has been undertaken, leave and remain, has been heavily trailed in the media, even one on one Cabinet discussions are, what counts as secret in this context?
    Good of the Telegraph to explain that 19 is nearly 20, though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not the first time with such accusations. Wasn't he kicked off working on the movie part way through or something?
    He was but I believe that was to do with the way he was treating the actors and crew and also because he went absent for a few days which held up shooting.

On the sex accusations apparently the courts threw out the most high profile case as being completely groundless. One of the claims was that Singer had assaulted sexually someone in Hawaii and Singer could show he wasn't even on the Islands at the time.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

OllyT said:

Not. First law of politics: the government is to blame.
  • Options

If labour are perceived to be trying to block brexit they will pay a heavy price in leave voting areas

And if they refuse to back EUref2 with a Remain option they will pay a heavy price in urban voting Remain areas
  • Options
    Bet the ERG tweeps are feeling pretty sick tonight. In their endless search for the purist unicorn known to man they have probably thrown their precious away.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333

Ironically Cooper's amendment may facilitate Brexit, by making Brexiteers settle for May's deal.
  • Options

Ironically Cooper's amendment may facilitate Brexit, by making Brexiteers settle for May's deal.
    To be honest just pass the deal and lets move on
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Amber Rudd must know now she is toast at the next GE. A tiny majority and a constituency that voted Leave. Maybe she is hoping if we stay in she can get some sort of position in Brussels.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Amber Rudd must know now she is toast at the next GE. A tiny majority and a constituency that voted Leave. Maybe she is hoping if we stay in she can get some sort of position in Brussels.
    Her constituency is majority Remain now, not that in makes much difference to FPTP politics.
  • Options

Presumably those people who are classifying the Mail as an unreliable source will be all over this.
  • Options

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Checking my prescription I get two months at a time and I can order a repeat prescription 1 month after the previous has been fulfilled. It states the earliest date for a repeat prescription on the prescription. If that makes sense.
    I have been refused meds in the past on the basis that I had been given some only a week or two previously and should have enough for a month.

Like all things NHS, this is probably entirely dependent on your GP, Clinic Commissing Group etc etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

But will it put pressure on Labour MPs in Leave constituencies to support May's Deal? That's the issue.

They'll get both Brexit and their wished-for election, when the DUP pulls the plug in a subsequent VONC....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Her constituency is majority Remain now, not that in makes much difference to FPTP politics.
    Believing those opinion polls again William. I would have thought you would have learnt your lesson by now.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660
    edited January 2019

Foxy said:

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

I know, but he knows quite a lot of doctors at our local surgery, some are in fact in neighbours.

Am on about seven meds at the moment, but I'd struggle without my gabapentin 300.
    It's a personal worry for me too - one of my prescriptions is only made in Germany right now. Like many others I am ordering ahead to build up a stock.

Still I'm greatly reassured by all those Brexiteers telling us that all will be fine even if we crash-out with no deal.
  • Options

But will it put pressure on Labour MPs in Leave constituencies to support May's Deal? That's the issue.

They'll get both Brexit and their wished-for election, when the DUP pulls the plug in a subsequent VONC....
    May's Deal doesn't pass unless she gets the DUP on the ship. Somehow.
  • Options
    When does the panic buying start?

Can't be too many days now.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

She's doing exactly what you say you want MPs to do: using her own, well-informed judgement as to what is best for the country, even if it's not party policy.

As for whether she's toast at the next GE or not, who knows? Ladbrokes doesn't seem to think so. I shall certainly be doing my best to help ensure she's re-elected, as will many other Conservative supporters.
  • Options

Persuade Sinn Fein to take their seats and back the deal.
  • Options

Presumably those people who are classifying the Mail as an unreliable source will be all over this.
    Why, do you think the article conatins any lies?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I imagine a whole bunch of her activists from 2017 will now melt away....not to mention the Leave voters. I won't be voting Wollaston in Totnes and I sure as hell wouldn't be voting for Rudd if I lived in Hastings, even if it means Labour wins the seat. And I can't see a raft of 2017 Labour voters switching Tory to express their gratitude to her.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

Why, do you think the article conatins any lies?
    No, just deliberately misleading language designed to stir up hatred. Which is exactly what the Mail does.
  • Options

She's doing exactly what you say you want MPs to do: using her own, well-informed judgement as to what is best for the country, even if it's not party policy.

As for whether she's toast at the next GE or not, who knows? Ladbrokes doesn't seem to think so. I shall certainly be doing my best to help ensure she's re-elected, as will many other Conservative supporters.
    I would if I could. She voted for the deal and will so again
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

kle4 said:

I imagine a whole bunch of her activists from 2017 will now melt away....not to mention the Leave voters. I won't be voting Wollaston in Totnes and I sure as hell wouldn't be voting for Rudd if I lived in Hastings, even if it means Labour wins the seat. And I can't see a raft of 2017 Labour voters switching Tory to express their gratitude to her.
    Hastings is moving away from the Tories for demographic reasons, similar to Hove and Brighton Pavilion. Even if the Tories win a majority next time they could lose the seat.
  • Options

I confess I didn't appreciate the SDP was still a thing.
  • Options

Persuade Sinn Fein to take their seats and back the deal.
    Seems like the whole of Northern Ireland backs the deal but for the 10 DUP mps
  • Options

kle4 said:

Be careful what you wish for...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Hastings is moving away from the Tories for demographic reasons, similar to Hove and Brighton Pavilion. Even if the Tories win a majority next time they could lose the seat.
    Hmm, not sure about that. It certainly didn't move away from the Tories between 2010 and 2015. A huge amount depends on getting the vote out in the substantial part of the constituency which isn't Hastings town.
This discussion has been closed.