Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling finds that leaving the EU with the deal is the lea

124»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Luke Johnson, the multimillionaire chairman of collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, has extracted more than £40m from the business since the cafe group floated on the stock market less than five years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/23/patisserie-valerie-cafes-shut-old-compton-street-london

What a disgraceful headline / first paragraph. They make it sound like he was up to no good “extracting” money out of the company, when he was just selling some shares and in fact has just lost £13 million of it back and all because it appears a large scale accounting fraud occurred which was nothing to do with him.

Presumably those people who are classifying the Mail as an unreliable source will be all over this.
    Presumably most Guardian readers will make it as far as the sixth paragraph and read that:
    Johnson, who bought Patisserie Valerie in 2006, sold nearly £23m of shares when the company floated in 2014 and nearly £13m a year later and has also collected dividends and a £60,000 a year salary. There is no suggestion that the entrepreneur was involved in any fraudulent activity.

He has loaned the company a net £13m in recent months, most of which is unlikely to be paid back.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Fears are growing internationally that a no-deal Brexit poses a threat to the stability of the global economy, the head of Britain’s leading business body has warned. Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the CBI, said the failure to sort out Britain’s departure from the European Union was damaging Britain’s brand abroad and had joined a list of systemic risks to the world economy.

I started stockpiling the breathers, blood thinners and other drugs my family need last week, if any family is going to miss out it will be those who fail to realise we rip up the frictionless trade deal with EU on 29 March, it can’t be stopped, it’s the law, and a law the divided politics can’t stop.

I think the chaos will last more than six months, but I don’t think the chaos and pain of disorderly exit will define Brexit. there’s a lot of investment into UK not just European but further afield, and a lot of good paying jobs based on that investment. When we rip up frictionless trade with EU how much of that investment depended on being able to exploit the frictionless trade? What can be put in place to mitigate that? It is that equation in coming years that will define Brexit.
    How are you stockpiling prescription drugs?
    Stopping taking them until brexit day?
    Writing your own prescriptions?
    Asking for repeat prescriptions a bit early works. I’m told.
    Checking my prescription I get two months at a time and I can order a repeat prescription 1 month after the previous has been fulfilled. It states the earliest date for a repeat prescription on the prescription. If that makes sense.
    You’ve answered your own question? We have Doctors and sons of Doctors who have answered.
    I am glad I am not alone in doing so, as I felt a bit dog eat dog. Is that what it’s going to be like in Britain 2019, thankful your own loved ones have their drugs, not thinking about neighbours who cant get hands on theirs?

I also stockpiling my favourite custard. I’m not going to say which one. You can say we are a perpetually green warm and wet nation and surrounded by cows, but that’s not the point is it. We led the world in nuclear power, but the lights are going out, and we may never see their like again. Because it doesn’t matter if you can do it yourself as a nation, it matters how you shut that capability down because it was cheaper to import it.

We have never been outside the EU in our history. We have spent decades and billions building ourselves on system of frictionless trade, to expect very little to change when that is switched off overnight is fanciful. 😕
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,196

I confess I didn't appreciate the SDP was still a thing.
    Tiny fringe, lingering on.

New life though now, as some UKIPers rightly abandon Tommy Robinson and his brownshirts.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

If labour are perceived to be trying to block brexit they will pay a heavy price in leave voting areas

Ironically Cooper's amendment may facilitate Brexit, by making Brexiteers settle for May's deal.
    But will it put pressure on Labour MPs in Leave constituencies to support May's Deal? That's the issue.

They'll get both Brexit and their wished-for election, when the DUP pulls the plug in a subsequent VONC....
    May's Deal doesn't pass unless she gets the DUP on the ship. Somehow.
    Persuade Sinn Fein to take their seats and back the deal.
    Seems like the whole of Northern Ireland backs the deal but for the 10 DUP mps
    Er... I don't think so. SF is strongly Remain
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

If labour are perceived to be trying to block brexit they will pay a heavy price in leave voting areas

Ironically Cooper's amendment may facilitate Brexit, by making Brexiteers settle for May's deal.
    But will it put pressure on Labour MPs in Leave constituencies to support May's Deal? That's the issue.

They'll get both Brexit and their wished-for election, when the DUP pulls the plug in a subsequent VONC....
    Not if she gets some Labour MPs in Leave seats to vote for it if it is the only alternative to No Deal or EUref2
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,053

Oddly it’s now a version of UKIP.
  • Options

Bloody hell, one version of UKIP is one too many.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019

Luke Johnson, the multimillionaire chairman of collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, has extracted more than £40m from the business since the cafe group floated on the stock market less than five years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/23/patisserie-valerie-cafes-shut-old-compton-street-london

What a disgraceful headline / first paragraph. They make it sound like he was up to no good “extracting” money out of the company, when he was just selling some shares and in fact has just lost £13 million of it back and all because it appears a large scale accounting fraud occurred which was nothing to do with him.

Presumably those people who are classifying the Mail as an unreliable source will be all over this.
    Presumably most Guardian readers will make it as far as the sixth paragraph and read that:
    Johnson, who bought Patisserie Valerie in 2006, sold nearly £23m of shares when the company floated in 2014 and nearly £13m a year later and has also collected dividends and a £60,000 a year salary. There is no suggestion that the entrepreneur was involved in any fraudulent activity.

He has loaned the company a net £13m in recent months, most of which is unlikely to be paid back.
    Actually no. Most people will see this via twitter / retweet and all they will see is the headline and the first paragraph. That is why I pointed it out, given the real info is buried further down.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

That's patently not true.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

Bloody hell, one version of UKIP is one too many.
    On the contrary, the more the merrier. With luck former Kippers will have a wide choice - UKIP (Hate the Muslims Continuity) Party, SDP (disgruntled MEPs) party, Nigel Farage Ego Party, and the Arron Banks Shove it Up 'Em Party. Some lucky ones will even have the opportunity to vote for the Gay Donkey Man's new party.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Bet the ERG tweeps are feeling pretty sick tonight. In their endless search for the purist unicorn known to man they have probably thrown their precious away.

The odd thing was, this was all unbelievably predictable. How did they not see it?

• Options
    dots said:

dots said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Fears are growing internationally that a no-deal Brexit poses a threat to the stability of the global economy, the head of Britain’s leading business body has warned. Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the CBI, said the failure to sort out Britain’s departure from the European Union was damaging Britain’s brand abroad and had joined a list of systemic risks to the world economy.

snip

I think the chaos will last more than six months, but I don’t think the chaos and pain of disorderly exit will define Brexit. there’s a lot of investment into UK not just European but further afield, and a lot of good paying jobs based on that investment. When we rip up frictionless trade with EU how much of that investment depended on being able to exploit the frictionless trade? What can be put in place to mitigate that? It is that equation in coming years that will define Brexit.
    How are you stockpiling prescription drugs?
    Stopping taking them until brexit day?
    Writing your own prescriptions?
    Asking for repeat prescriptions a bit early works. I’m told.
    Checking my prescription I get two months at a time and I can order a repeat prescription 1 month after the previous has been fulfilled. It states the earliest date for a repeat prescription on the prescription. If that makes sense.
    You’ve answered your own question? We have Doctors and sons of Doctors who have answered.
    I am glad I am not alone in doing so, as I felt a bit dog eat dog. Is that what it’s going to be like in Britain 2019, thankful your own loved ones have their drugs, not thinking about neighbours who cant get hands on theirs?

I also stockpiling my favourite custard. I’m not going to say which one. You can say we are a perpetually green warm and wet nation and surrounded by cows, but that’s not the point is it. We led the world in nuclear power, but the lights are going out, and we may never see their like again. Because it doesn’t matter if you can do it yourself as a nation, it matters how you shut that capability down because it was cheaper to import it.

We have never been outside the EU in our history. We have spent decades and billions building ourselves on system of frictionless trade, to expect very little to change when that is switched off overnight is fanciful. 😕
    :+1:

But "fanciful" is a little anaemic. "fucking insane" is better.
  • Options

Persuade Sinn Fein to take their seats and back the deal.
    Seems like the whole of Northern Ireland backs the deal but for the 10 DUP mps
    Er... I don't think so. SF is strongly Remain
    Maybe I should have said the vast majority
  • Options

Mortimer said:

And you’re posting this to highlight that the EU have a weakness in this area? Because that’s what it shows.
    Seems like evidence Hannan knows what he's talking about regarding potential trade opportunities and deals with nations like India.
    So how many tens of thousands of work visas are you prepared to offer India to get this deal?
    I'd be prepared to offer many tens of thousands of work visas. Give me one reason please why we shouldn't offer a capped number of work visas to Indians, who have no rights to in-work benefits ... but we should offer millions of Europeans free movement plus uncapped access to welfare as if they were Brits.

Are Indians somehow lesser than Europeans to you?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    O/T Interesting theory re Alzheimer's.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/01/gum-disease-causing-bacteria-could-spur-alzheimer-s

Quite likely to be a red herring, I guess, but then the idea that many stomach ulcers are caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori seemed bizzarre at first.

PS extra flossing for me before I go to bed! :smile:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Well, yes, this all makes sense with the theory that Labour's best scenario is for the deal to pass, but without Labour's own fingerprints on it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

O/T Interesting theory re Alzheimer's.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/01/gum-disease-causing-bacteria-could-spur-alzheimer-s

Quite likely to be a red herring, I guess, but then the idea that many stomach ulcers are caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori seemed bizzarre at first.

PS extra flossing for me before I go to bed! :smile:

Chronic gum disease is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease too.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/gum-disease-and-heart-disease-the-common-thread

The presence of lowgrade complement activation seems the culprit to me.

Brush those toothy pegs, and cut out the sugar.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Every step that has been undertaken, leave and remain, has been heavily trailed in the media, even one on one Cabinet discussions are, what counts as secret in this context?
    Amber Rudd must know now she is toast at the next GE. A tiny majority and a constituency that voted Leave. Maybe she is hoping if we stay in she can get some sort of position in Brussels.
    Her constituency is majority Remain now, not that in makes much difference to FPTP politics.
    I imagine a whole bunch of her activists from 2017 will now melt away....not to mention the Leave voters. I won't be voting Wollaston in Totnes and I sure as hell wouldn't be voting for Rudd if I lived in Hastings, even if it means Labour wins the seat. And I can't see a raft of 2017 Labour voters switching Tory to express their gratitude to her.
    Hastings is moving away from the Tories for demographic reasons, similar to Hove and Brighton Pavilion. Even if the Tories win a majority next time they could lose the seat.
    Hmm, not sure about that. It certainly didn't move away from the Tories between 2010 and 2015. A huge amount depends on getting the vote out in the substantial part of the constituency which isn't Hastings town.
    The Labour share is triple what it was in 1992.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

When does the panic buying start?

Can't be too many days now.

I hear there has been quite the run on custard.......
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Mortimer said:

And you’re posting this to highlight that the EU have a weakness in this area? Because that’s what it shows.
    Seems like evidence Hannan knows what he's talking about regarding potential trade opportunities and deals with nations like India.
    Hannan is a proven charlatan with no real interest in trade policy whatsoever.
    Rubbish. Hannan is nothing of the kind. Trade is about the only thing Hannan is genuinely passionate about and he rightly sees the EU as increasingly protectionist.
    He might be passionate about it, but he isn't especially well informed about it.
This discussion has been closed.