Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Disastrously successful. The EU’s Brexit negotiation

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Disastrously successful. The EU’s Brexit negotiation

I’m going to go all Godwin on you. Sorry. When people talk about the causes of World War Two, they often mention how Hitler was emboldened by his early success remilitarising the Rhineland without any real consequence, showing that the Treaty of Versailles was violable. This was not, however, the first occasion on which the settlement of the First World War was set aside by the losers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    It takes two to disentangle and we haven't even got one on board? Not looking great, is it?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    First .Shambles all round.
    Everton, ref. Absence of VAR. Cricket, May, EU, Corbyn Trump
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    The EU does not really want No Deal and it knows Westminster does not either.

Hence the significance of Juncker's comments today that the EU would agree to a permanent Customs Union membership for the UK which 301 MPs have already voted for
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Wake me up when you get to the plague of locusts and death of the firstborn.

Though of course the irony is it's the EU that won't let our people go.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Everyone needs to calm down.. There will be a deal; and Corbyn will never be PM.. OK ?? sorted.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    I think this misses a key point - if we're regarding the backstop as the issue, it doesn't result from EU over-reach. They were negotiated away from their preferred position by a combination of UK red lines (which crated the backstop) and UK refusal to have checks between NI and GB, which led to the all-UK backstop. It isn't the EU that has wrecked the deal by gaining a concession too far, but Theresa May.
  • Options

Everyone needs to calm down.. There will be a deal; and Corbyn will never be PM.. OK ?? sorted.

We already have a Deal, it is getting it through Parliament that is the problem
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

I think this misses a key point - if we're regarding the backstop as the issue, it doesn't result from EU over-reach. They were negotiated away from their preferred position by a combination of UK red lines (which crated the backstop) and UK refusal to have checks between NI and GB, which led to the all-UK backstop. It isn't the EU that has wrecked the deal by gaining a concession too far, but Theresa May.

Quite. If May had set the expectation from the moment she decided to leave the single market and customs union that Northern Ireland just might need different arrangements (at the time she wasn't reliant on the DUP), then things would have been very different. Instead she consciously chose to stoke up British nationalism in the run up to invoking Article 50 with her "precious union" tour and statement that a united Britain was an "unstoppable force".
  • Options
    Good read Alastair and I agree with much of it
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    "It takes two to disentangle" - great line!

At this stage, the EU would surely rather negotiate with Corbyn/Labour. The latest statement that a customs union would remove a backstop is sailing pretty close to an open admission they'd rather have Labour in charge.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Scott_P said:

Unfortunately, for many of us, these witticisms by the no dealers are getting less humorous by the day. I live not too far from Airbus and I can assure you that there are a lot of very anxious and worried people around.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Unfortunately, for many of us, these witticisms by the no dealers are getting less humorous by the day. I live not too far from Airbus and I can assure you that there are a lot of very anxious and worried people around.
    My son in law is in a senior position with them
  • Options

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Sometimes it just seems one big game to the ERG types, precious little empathy for those who might be adversely affected. Of course it won't be the Moggs and the Johnsons of this world that will that will suffer the consequences.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

It isn't the EU that has wrecked the deal by gaining a concession too far, but Theresa May.

On that point, it's interesting that the EU seem to be suggesting a "concession" of going back to the original deal before May negotiated it to be UK-wide.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/juncker-may-backstop-eu-customs-union
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Sometimes it just seems one big game to the ERG types, precious little empathy for those who might be adversely affected. Of course it won't be the Moggs and the Johnsons of this world that will that will suffer the consequences.
    ERG have lost me totally and I reject everything they say and do, and yet I remain a member of the conservative party, for now
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Not sure what martial law has to do with Airbus...oh it doesn't, you were just trying to segue to make an irrelevant point.

And yet manufacturing has been moving abroad for years as a member of the EU. But only now when you might be personally affected does it become an issue. Got it.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    edited January 2019

Good read Alastair and I agree with much of it

I don’t agree with any of it.

Brexit is a disaster for the EU entirely of their own making?

What?

We are going to treat them just like Russia does.

What?

This crisis needs the man Cameron to come and solve it.

What? its the man Cameron whose caused it. And much else besides, tribalizing EU membership in British politics, hastening break up of UK, and as time passes in the post brexit world, increasing strain and both Labour and Tory parties to split over what EU policies to put in future manifestos, so probably destroyed both those parties and possibly first past the post too.

It was a horrible read. 😟

I also don’t think May’s deal is at all dead, let alone a skeleton. I think May’s deal will pass in a few weeks, largely unchanged.

What a weird end to the PB day.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

he’s going to get to live in an exciting new country soon where the healthcare is better than here.🤗

Oh, is that a no deal witticism 😐. sorry 😐 😐 😐
  • Options
    edited January 2019

It isn't the EU that has wrecked the deal by gaining a concession too far, but Theresa May.

On that point, it's interesting that the EU seem to be suggesting a "concession" of going back to the original deal before May negotiated it to be UK-wide.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/juncker-may-backstop-eu-customs-union
    The EU are suggesting the backstop can be NI specific but with permanent UK wide Customs Union alongside
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Have there been any interesting polls?

BJO promised us interesting polls last night? :D
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

Plus the army stockpiling ammo - for what exactly??

Shooting people in the streets?

Come on this is getting silly now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Fake news - to coin a phrase beloved of BJO
  • Options
    dots said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

he’s going to get to live in an exciting new country soon where the healthcare is better than here.🤗

He lives here in North Wales under Welsh labours appalling health care

Much worse than anything in England's NHS
  • Options

dots said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

How often do Labour scream 24 hours to save the Welsh NHS???

Obviously not worried about excess deaths in Wales then.

• Options

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Not sure what martial law has to do with Airbus...oh it doesn't, you were just trying to segue to make an irrelevant point.

And yet manufacturing has been moving abroad for years as a member of the EU. But only now when you might be personally affected does it become an issue. Got it.
    You do know 100,000 high quality jobs in North Wales and Cheshire depend on Airbus and the supply chains

With respect, you astound me
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

"It takes two to disentangle" - great line!

How far must a government go to disentangle its tingle.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

:(
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

ERG have lost me totally and I reject everything they say and do, and yet I remain a member of the conservative party, for now
    At least the ERG think No Deal is a good thing. Theresa May and her govt know how disastrous it will be and yet keep it on the table while they try to run the clock down.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    A bizarrely poor leader from the usually superb Alistair.

Cam the Man for a crisis of the EU’s own making? Wow. Really?

Mr Meeks has been on the Mezcal.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

dots said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

You've said that before, but from what I read and hear England NHS has major issues too.

Incidentally, despite living in W Wales, I had treatment and surgery in Wrexham Maelor 3/4 years ago.
    A brilliant caring consultant who I could contact anytime and excellent treatment that I could not fault. Could not have had better if I'd paid for it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Interesting header.

The real error of the post WWI settlement was not the treatment of Germany, but the way France and the U.K. went land-grabbing, so that a bit more of the world could look blue and pink on maps.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.
    What did you think it was?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

I won't be personally affected so I don't know why you are assuming that I would be. I was referring to your fatuous comment about a plague of locusts which I take to be ridiculing the possibility of any adverse comments from a no deal Brexit.

Nice bit of "whataboutery" but it's a by-product of globalisation that jobs move and I suspect that more have moved outside of the EU than inside. Up to now though we haven't actually be stupid enough to adopt a stance that actively encourages companies to leave.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

I won't be personally affected so I don't know why you are assuming that I would be. I was referring to your fatuous comment about a plague of locusts which I take to be ridiculing the possibility of any adverse comments from a no deal Brexit.
    Well then perhaps we've both been assuming too much.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.
    Was told there was a poll with a 6pt move to Lab compared to last one.

Person who told me got the 6pt YG Tory lead one right before it was published. I didn't believe him on that one but he was correct.

So was expecting perhaps a YG with Lab ahead.

Oh well.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Last night someone on PB was promising an extraordinary opinion poll today. Has it appeared yet?

Pray, who was promising it?
    BJO I think.
  • Options
    About as likely as a YG with Lab ahead!!
  • Options
    It all boils down to red lines and unicornism. Like the rest of us the EU is a bit part player in a drama that is all about the Conservative party and the ambitious charlatans and halfwits who sit on the government benches in the Commons.
  • Options
    I'm off to bed in no interesting poll PB disgrace.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Nothings really h

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.

Person who told me got the 6pt YG Tory lead one right before it was published. I didn't believe him on that one but he was correct.

Oh well.
    Nothings really happened to expect such a change. If anything Ldems nicked six points off Labour this week.

Has Yvette’s ammendment got Front Bench support yet, or is it on its way into the waste paper basket of history?
  • Options
    dots said:

Nothings really h

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.

Oh well.
    Nothings really happened to expect such a change. If anything Ldems nicked six points off Labour this week.

Has Yvette’s ammendment got Front Bench support yet, or is it on its way into the waste paper basket of history?
    My MP reckons YC amendment has got Labour support.
  • Options
    Leading economist Patrick Minford!!!

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    As a side issue to the Express story, the Riley story should be sending serious panic in Lab strategy circles.

This is pure middle england, early evening viewers. Marginal catnip.

Good luck Labour.
  • Options
    dots said:

Nothings really h

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.

Oh well.

Agreed but what happened the week YG increased Tory lead to 6?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    The EU in general and Ireland in particular seem to have made the same mistake in negotiating the terms of Brexit as Venizelos made. The best outcome is one that will actually stick, not the one with nominally the most favourable terms. It has been apparent for a very long time that Theresa May is not in secure control of Parliament and to proceed as if she is was reckless

You talk a lot of sense, by which I mean I agree. Though while I liked Cameron I'm not sure many would go for your last sentence in your header!

The EU is currently taking the line that it is for Britain to come up with a new position. Certainly Britain needs to do that

Thing is, while I don't see much hope in passing the deal sans backstop and expecting the EU to accept that, it is technically us coming up with a new position, just not one more favourable to the EU. But as much as I do blame May for not coming up with an actual plan B, if parliament were to pass the deal sans backstop she would be acting on instruction from parliament, the EU would be well within their rights to refuse but it is not as though May would be going off without backing.

I certainly share much of Mr Meeks' concern both at the prospect of a no deal on relations, for both sides (which makes the occasional person's glee that the EU is not sorting out our mess rather misplaced, since the point is not that it is good for us, but good for them for there to be a deal) and that even if the deal scrapes through it will be a long and bitter legacy.

But I see no solution. Remaining takes away the immediate problem of how to leave, by definition, but hardly addresses all the problems that caused it to win in the first place, as well as the problem of how parliament would feel comfortable cancelling Brexit, but in terms of flexibility the EU seems to have lost its much vaunted love of a last minute fudge and is behaving no different than any petty nationalist, willing to lose it all rather than concede, especially on a point no one seems to actually want to go through with. But they are not about to throw Ireland under the bus.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Mezcal. I don’t know what that is, but suspect I should add it to my list of things to stockpile?
    Is it made by shamans from cactus water?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited January 2019
    They do say (everywhere except in that noddy book by Trump) that the best deal is one where both parties feel respected and validated by the outcome. That does not appear likely in the case of the UK and the EU.

But with major caveat - we do not yet know the outcome.
  • Options
    dots said:

_Anazina_ said:

Mezcal. I don’t know what that is, but suspect I should add it to my list of things to stockpile?
    Is it made by shamans from cactus water?
    Would like to add, you are usually superb, Alistair.

Like, yeah, lay off the Mezcal.
  • Options
    Everyone felt sorry

dots said:

Nothings really h

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.

Oh well.

Agreed but what happened the week YG increased Tory lead to 6?
    Everyone felt sorry for Theresa May, including Labours Deputy Leader?
  • Options
    I always worry about such headlines, or others about the DUP or whoever, because the EU is political too, and doesn't want to be seen to backdown either, and in the short term it would be popular not to do so, so before anything is confirmed rumours like thatseem like they can stir people up and prevent that very thing from happening.

That certainly seems the case with some of May's stupider ideas, in that someone leaks them, they are shot down, then a spokesman claims it was never even suggested.
    _Anazina_ said:

Cam is not the man to solve this mess. And who caused the mess is really immaterial to the question of getting a deal through now. The key for me is that the EU are the only ones really with the ability to significantly change the parameters of this high stakes game everyone is engaged in - yes, parliament could eventually swing behind remain, or permanent customs union, and the EU could respond to that, but we all know the EU are in a more powerful and thus potentially flexible position, and they could, if they wanted, stay in their powerful position but do something which alters the dynamic here and helps get a deal through.

They could, instead, choose to sit back and act superior about how this is not their fault and how this is a mess we've made, and they'd be mostly right, but that doesn't help them either. Sadly, expecting the EU to come to the rescue has been part of the May plan since Chequers, and they have made very clear that they are not prepared to do that. For all their vaunted wisdom, they'd rather see no deal just because it would prove we would be hurt worse.
  • Options

I have calmed down, that's why I now accept, however against my own wishes, that there won't be and he will. The Tories are broken, and we all deserve Corbyn now.
    Scott_P said:
    As I noted on the last thread, that does not say what he is implying it says. It's a huge story regardless, and to worry about, but it's very naughty to word it as though it is going to be an inevitable consequence rather than in the hopefully very unlikely event as the posted section actually suggests.

But that hardly matters in resolving the situation. Who is to blame for the backstop is not important - although we are losing sight of the fact that the deal might not pass even were that not there - what is important is that the deal as presently constituted will not pass, and the EU have far more ability to bend than May does. Their overreach comes from seeing that their position is strong and refusing to do so on that basis, seemingly not recognising that they might not be able to pressurise the UK into conceding more. May cannot give them more. A divided parliament might be willing to, but that is far from a certain prospect.

If they cared about avoiding no deal they could get creative, not to save May, frankly who gives a shit about her now, but to save a deal of any kind. Winning won't do any good if there is no deal, so even if they think it unfair of them to concede more, it would see it through and still result in them being on top, and having ably demonstrated that leaving the EU is something others will not want to try.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Alistair, help yourself to this as your next leader, just as much clickbait, and only half the length of tonight’s World War Weird effort:

It’s genuinely debatable what got 17.4 million leave voters to the polls, but it done the trick and we will brexit.

Lord Justice Judge Dots will have a go at summing up. [you can tippex the Dots bit out and put Meeks in]

Leave voters believed EU membership is far too expensive and most still do, they would like to see money freed up and a brexit dividend spent here in UK on health, education, affordable housing etc. also a key driver for leave votes was a genuine belief we have surrendered far too much sovereignty and control, control to prevent entry and to kick criminals out the country in particular, must take back control, return democratic control and decision-making to our own courts and parliament.

However that alone isn’t enough to account for 17.4 million voters. EU membership was simultaneously in minds of voters not just wishlist above they would like to see happen, but there needs to be change on what they don’t like, the more negative impacts of globalisation, disconnect between political elites (London) and their own run down communities, immigration, the scary slide to post industrial society, that super boosted to the 17.4 million voters and ensured UK married Miss hard brexit.

Once we marry brexit perceptions will change, the other half in this marriage isn’t going to live up to expectations and the marriage will be rocky, because
    how does brexit help with the more negative impacts of globalisation,
    How does brexit heal disconnect between political elites (London) and leave voters in run down communities
    How does brexit ensure voters concerns for immigration are met
    How does Brexit stop or mitigate the scary slide to post industrial society

The bottom line is it really doesn’t tackle any of those things. And the promised dowry for the marriage, the brexit dividend, there wont be much of one, will there?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

dots said:

Nothings really h

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm looks like it.

Oh well.

My MP reckons YC amendment has got Labour support.
    There seems to have been a lot of phoney war stuff going on leading into the weekend, as we've had suggestions the deal will get through (albeit sans backstop) while also positive noises toward the Cooper remain plan (sorry, delay plan, yeah right) bolstered by May seemingly being forced into free votes on at least some of the votes, which clearly means she will lose.

My big fear is that both sides are now being dishonest. The Cooper crowd want remain but are too afraid to just say so so are seeking delay for now, and May may have given up on the deal even as she appears to be reviving it, since passing it without a backstop or with time limited backstop could just be an attempt to shift no deal blame onto the EU. That seems quite possible to me because the plan for ages has seemingly been to hope the EU can make some positive noises before a vote to enable it to pass, and it hasn't worked, and so they'll just pretend the EU will play ball and worry about it later.

My general feeling is that Cooper's kick the can plan will work, because it's just easier all around for MPs to avoid a decision, which works for Corbyn and co too for just a start.

But tomorrow I can look away from Brexit for once and focus on something else - I'm planning to see Schindler's List in the cinema.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Folks are confusing absolutism with extremism.

Perhaps, but I do not see an issue with casual language to describe as 'extreme' people at opposite ends behaving in very similar ways, even if their goals are very different. Fanatacism is extreme, and there are proud fanatics on both sides. They wouldn't use the word fanatic, since it has negative connotations, but fanatics are absolute. Even recognising the mushy middle ground is not, in fact, always the correct or best to be, being absolute at either end is still extreme.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    For all our differences over Brexit, Alastair, this is a great piece. Thank you.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited January 2019
    What I think this misses is that where we are is where we were always going to be, regardless of the actual content of the deal. The outraged people were always going to hang their outrage on something. If the backstop hadn't been in there they'd have been outraged about something else.

I guess if they'd got really clever they could have put something extra outrageous in their to absorb the outrage then get conceded, but the EU has too many parties involved to bring off grand bluffs like that - something would leak or people who weren't in on the trick would publicly undermine it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Is it time to lay Kamala Harris at 5?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

As a side issue to the Express story, the Riley story should be sending serious panic in Lab strategy circles.

Good luck Labour.

Pretty Blonde harassed and in need of bodyguard for saying Corbyn has anti semitism problem. This is the kind of fantasy headline and photo for right wing tabloids. Whether newspaper have the influence they had in the past I don’t know but they can set the agenda - I’ve always Ben astounded on the cut through when white blonde middle class woman gets murdered /kidnapped compared to poor ethnic minorities.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited January 2019
    It's a good thread, though it would benefit from pruning of the first five paragraphs. I agree that the EU and Ireland have completely overplayed their hands, and we're heading for an outcome that few actually want.

The UK will survive, and doubtless the EU will do, but it is a tragedy given the possibility for setting UK/EU relations on a new and better basis. Hopefully in a decade we can revisit whatever settlement we end up with and move it on to a more constructive basis.

The wisdom of the Swiss and others in never joining, but negotiating various forms of close relationship, is clearer and clearer.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    I feel really very gloomy about the prospects for Britain. Both gloomy and sad. It did not - it does not - need to be this way.

Some people, when faced with a crisis, a deadline, a seemingly insurmountable challenge, rise to the occasion. Cameron was able to do that. May is not. I think that @AlistairM is referring to this quality in his delightfully provocative last paragraph. After all, wouldn’t we all prefer a leader with such an ability at a time like this?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Some people, when faced with a crisis, a deadline, a seemingly insurmountable challenge, rise to the occasion. Cameron was able to do that. May is not. I think that @AlistairM is referring to this quality in his delightfully provocative last paragraph. After all, wouldn’t we all prefer a leader with such an ability at a time like this?

The same David Cameron who caused this whole sorry mess, by putting narrow Conservative party interests above all other considerations, and then ran away? No thanks...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Very interesting thread, thank you Alastair. I would suggest that the EU's overreach (if that is what it is) is a feature not a bug. This whole sorry saga could have been avoided had from the outset the EU been prepared to negotiate the post-Brexit trade agreement in parallel.

What we need to ask is, "what were the goals of the EU in the negotiation?" We hear a lot about the EU wanting to make sure that the UK doesn't get a better deal outside of the EU - something which I've always been curious about because surely the EU and its supporters think that there is no price to being in the club - but I actually think the aim of the EU has always been to stop Brexit. No doubt they'd planned for this scenario many years ago and came up with the Northern Ireland border as the best mechanism for preventing the UK from leaving.

Now, the EU may get their way and Brexit may be cancelled - though that may be an even worse outcome for them in some ways. But I wonder if the potential for no deal is being underestimated by many in Brussels. Presumably they've worked out what they will do in a no deal scenario. Whilst I don't wish to see a no deal outcome, I am curious to see if the EU would insist on RoI patrolling the NI border. I suspect they wouldn't.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

What I think this misses is that where we are is where we were always going to be, regardless of the actual content of the deal. The outraged people were always going to hang their outrage on something. If the backstop hadn't been in there they'd have been outraged about something else.

I guess if they'd got really clever they could have put something extra outrageous in their to absorb the outrage then get conceded, but the EU has too many parties involved to bring off grand bluffs like that - something would leak or people who weren't in on the trick would publicly undermine it.

The Outrage Bus has always been popular. Nothing really changes ;)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The same David Cameron who caused this whole sorry mess, by putting narrow Conservative party interests above all other considerations, and then ran away? No thanks...
    I agree. Whoevee the answer is, it is not Cameron . it was his sloppy approach that caused this mess.
  • Options

That only works if.you don't recognise the backdrop as outrageous in it's own right. There aren't over 100 "usual suspects" to get outraged but that is what the backstop has caused.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    tlg86 said:

Very interesting thread, thank you Alastair. I would suggest that the EU's overreach (if that is what it is) is a feature not a bug. This whole sorry saga could have been avoided had from the outset the EU been prepared to negotiate the post-Brexit trade agreement in parallel.

What we need to ask is, "what were the goals of the EU in the negotiation?" We hear a lot about the EU wanting to make sure that the UK doesn't get a better deal outside of the EU - something which I've always been curious about because surely the EU and its supporters think that there is no price to being in the club - but I actually think the aim of the EU has always been to stop Brexit. No doubt they'd planned for this scenario many years ago and came up with the Northern Ireland border as the best mechanism for preventing the UK from leaving.

Now, the EU may get their way and Brexit may be cancelled - though that may be an even worse outcome for them in some ways. But I wonder if the potential for no deal is being underestimated by many in Brussels. Presumably they've worked out what they will do in a no deal scenario. Whilst I don't wish to see a no deal outcome, I am curious to see if the EU would insist on RoI patrolling the NI border. I suspect they wouldn't.

Good post.

The problem the EU has now is that they have to give the impression that there will be a properly policed hard border if there’s no deal - otherwise why the need for the backstop in the first place?

This game of chicken could well end with no deal and no border - so we start negotiating again from a much more equal position. That’s not what the EU want at all.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I agree. Whoevee the answer is, it is not Cameron . it was his sloppy approach that caused this mess.
    Something on which most people agree, whether they were in favour of leave or remain in 2016.

It would have been a much better approach to have better quantified the Leave option in the referendum before the vote, but the government rushed the renegotiation and referendum, and hadn’t prepared for the possibility of a Leave vote.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Something on which most people agree, whether they were in favour of leave or remain in 2016.

It would have been a much better approach to have better quantified the Leave option in the referendum before the vote, but the government rushed the renegotiation and referendum, and hadn’t prepared for the possibility of a Leave vote.
    A refresher

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-parliaments-38402140
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Many people confuse luck with skill.

David Cameron's famed "good in an essay crisis" reputation is forged on such a misunderstanding.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    edited January 2019
    The backstop represents an unusually favourable position for the UK, not one in which the EU would want us staying indefinitely, and its detail represents something of a negotiating success for the PM. It's her lack of strategy for landing the deal and her inability to involve and then sell to her colleagues (edit/ coupled with their intransigence, as Edmund says) that have led to the crisis, not any overreach by the EU. It is in all of our interests to make sure the settlement protects the fragile peace in Ireland and not consequential on some evil intent by our neighbours.

Therefore I don't buy Alastair's lead at all. Although the historical stuff about Turkey, about which I was broadly aware having read the Mandolin guy's other books, is interesting and little known.
  • Options

Is it time to lay Kamala Harris at 5?

Now 4.9
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    In my experience, essay crisis specialists ended up in trouble when they inevitably encountered a task they couldn’t blag their way through. And so it was with lazy Dave.

May on the other hand adopted another, but equally doomed technique. Submitting the same essay for every question. Eventually it doesn’t quite fit and you don’t have the smarts to think of something new.

Meanwhile Corbyn hasn’t attended lectures, writes what he and his mates talk about and gets wildly hurt when he doesn’t get the marks he thinks he deserves.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Meeks,

Your historical analogy is interesting and you make a good point. In my own baby way, I think it's could be the more recent history that has caused this problem. I was 25 in 1975 and my knowledge of politics peaked then. (not that it was ever high). I remember the lies of that referendum at the time and now in retrospect.

Despite assertions by what was then the hard-left, the idea of a United Europe had no traction. It was actively mocked by the Europhiles. A common currency?, Laws coming from Brussels not related to trade? Figments of a paranoid imagination. Anyway, if any major changes are made, we'll have another vote.

The people who deny this are either political fanatics who read every word of the 1957 treaty or people not born then. Those who lived through the times often remember those blatant lies. Trust in politicians has suffered badly aa a result. When it comes to Europe, politicians lie, because they want to be in control.

Seeing Parliament demanding meaningful votes (control) brings back those memories. It's no longer about the facts of the argument, it's about who is in charge of the country. The people have a choice between a self-selected representative of one of two major parties who will vote for party gain or for their own pet project. Many voters see a choice between two candidates with an identical opinion on Europe. The referendum helped to break that logjam.

It's why Project Fear lost, and despite its continuing remorseless assault is making only small gains. As Mandy (not that one) said … "He would say that, wouldn't he?"

Of course, as the hard-left now favours the EU, we could all have false consciousness.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Good luck Labour.

Pretty Blonde harassed and in need of bodyguard for saying Corbyn has anti semitism problem. This is the kind of fantasy headline and photo for right wing tabloids. Whether newspaper have the influence they had in the past I don’t know but they can set the agenda - I’ve always Ben astounded on the cut through when white blonde middle class woman gets murdered /kidnapped compared to poor ethnic minorities.
    Trolls on Twitter are nothing new, and not unique to the far Left.

We have had all this stuff going on for over a year, with nondiscernable effect on polling, so repulsive as it is, it doesn't shift votes.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Good article, Mr. Meeks.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Good luck Labour.

TBH all the right wing hate and rhetoric culminating in MPs getting targeted doesn't seem to have much impact on the polling so I'm not sure why this would either.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

That only works if.you don't recognise the backdrop as outrageous in it's own right. There aren't over 100 "usual suspects" to get outraged but that is what the backstop has caused.
    Well, it's true that if the EU were optimizing for the fewest possible Tory/DUP rebels they could have got a smaller number than they did, but there are still too many outrage bus season ticket holders to pass the thing, so what's the point?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Many people confuse luck with skill.

David Cameron's famed "good in an essay crisis" reputation is forged on such a misunderstanding.

The more expensive the education, the luckier I get.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Meeks,

Your historical analogy is interesting and you make a good point. In my own baby way, I think it's could be the more recent history that has caused this problem. I was 25 in 1975 and my knowledge of politics peaked then. (not that it was ever high). I remember the lies of that referendum at the time and now in retrospect.

Despite assertions by what was then the hard-left, the idea of a United Europe had no traction. It was actively mocked by the Europhiles. A common currency?, Laws coming from Brussels not related to trade? Figments of a paranoid imagination. Anyway, if any major changes are made, we'll have another vote.

The people who deny this are either political fanatics who read every word of the 1957 treaty or people not born then. Those who lived through the times often remember those blatant lies. Trust in politicians has suffered badly aa a result. When it comes to Europe, politicians lie, because they want to be in control.

Seeing Parliament demanding meaningful votes (control) brings back those memories. It's no longer about the facts of the argument, it's about who is in charge of the country. The people have a choice between a self-selected representative of one of two major parties who will vote for party gain or for their own pet project. Many voters see a choice between two candidates with an identical opinion on Europe. The referendum helped to break that logjam.

It's why Project Fear lost, and despite its continuing remorseless assault is making only small gains. As Mandy (not that one) said … "He would say that, wouldn't he?"

Of course, as the hard-left now favours the EU, we could all have false consciousness.

I think you have false memory syndrome. I was 11 at the time and the debate was always then about more than trade:

https://infacts.org/mythbusts/voters-werent-conned-1975-referendum/

Recently I have been reading this excellent book, which gives an excellent review of the issues of the time on both sides, and why we joined:

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/974230659525902336?s=19
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

A refresher

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-parliaments-38402140
    Some good background there, but the mechanics of the referendum in 2016 was entirely in the government of the day.

At some point we would have arrived at a referendum come what may, the EU has a clear direction of travel that wasn’t supported by a majority of voters - even if it was supported by a majority of politicians.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Yes, great thought-provoking article Alastair - I hope those who accuse you of being an EU apologist are reading.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Foxy said:

Good luck Labour.

We have had all this stuff going on for over a year, with nondiscernable effect on polling, so repulsive as it is, it doesn't shift votes.
    I am surprised and disappointed that the leaders (on the left and right) don’t do more to disown and disarm the trolls. The suspect the truth is they benefit too much from some of the cultish behaviour.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1089421899011145728

Not a good look for the Tories among the younger crowd and women voters.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

Not really their target audience.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Good luck Labour.

I am surprised and disappointed that the leaders (on the left and right) don’t do more to disown and disarm the trolls. The suspect the truth is they benefit too much from some of the cultish behaviour.
    Typo there Jonathan. Should have been an n instead of an l.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The backstop represents an unusually favourable position for the UK, not one in which the EU would want us staying indefinitely, and its detail represents something of a negotiating success for the PM. It's her lack of strategy for landing the deal and her inability to involve and then sell to her colleagues (edit/ coupled with their intransigence, as Edmund says) that have led to the crisis, not any overreach by the EU. It is in all of our interests to make sure the settlement protects the fragile peace in Ireland and not consequential on some evil intent by our neighbours.

Therefore I don't buy Alastair's lead at all. Although the historical stuff about Turkey, about which I was broadly aware having read the Mandolin guy's other books, is interesting and little known.

The backstop is a great deal for NI. It gives most of the benefits of the EU to NI, including CU and SM alignment at no cost.

If our supposed target FTA destination is to have no hard border, that requires us to remain so closely in step on CU and SM, that one wonders what the point of Brexit is. If we want to deviate from this, then Irish Sea customs are perfectly viable once the DUP return to their usual obscurity rather than being coalition partners.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Good morning, everyone.

Good article, Mr. Meeks.

Good morning Mr Dancer.

Good news, thanks to new front and rear wings there’s going to be less of a problem with differential front end grip this season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-rules-and-regulations-what's-new-for-2019.2DIt7TEs9YqI8IY6mEcwsM.html
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Not true. From 1950 to 1992 the Tories overwhelmingly won among women.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited January 2019
    I see Phil has apologised to the unfortunate woman whose car he trundled in front of. I thought we'd been assured that protocol demanded that the monarch & her consort never apologised? We have truly reached the end of days.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Jezziah, will Westminster also seek to impose laws on devolved matters in Scotland and Wales? Just curious.

I fully support the right of women to have abortions, and think it's sad that women in Northern Ireland don't have that. However, laws must be enacted by the relevant political bodies. There's no point devolving power if you're just going to override it.

Of course, as you say, this is 'not a good look' politically, which I'm sure never crossed the minds of the parties pushing for the reformation (NB I'm sure it's not their only motivation).

On reformation: the EU will continue to change, but it'll just be ever more integration
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

True, maybe they can get a crushing the snowflakes bonus instead!
  • Options

I thought we'd been assured that protocol demanded that the monarch & her consort never alologised?

:lol:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

1992 was 27 years ago. As for 1950.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

1992 was 27 years ago. As for 1950.....
    ....it's just around the corner?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

You may well have been a smarty-pants at 11 when it came to politics (and I'm glad you went on to a more fulfilling career elsewhere) but at 25, I had more of only a passing interest in the subject, and I suspect I represented the majority.

There were discordant voices but they were generally mocked. We were all Europhiles then. I read the Daily Mirror, the BBC was also Europhile and Tony Benn was the original swivel-eyed loon.

I should have remembered the old quotation. "Put not your trust in Prrinces."

This discussion has been closed.