Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov leader ratings finds both TMay and Corbyn strugglin

1235»

Comments

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

slade said:

Only one local by-election tonight - Con defence in Surrey. Should be a safe Con hold.

There seem to have been very few by-elections of late.
    Probably due to the 6 month rule.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Toms said:
    Decades since I read any London. That’s a fine short story.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited January 2019
    slade said:

Only one local by-election tonight - Con defence in Surrey. Should be a safe Con hold.

Apart from the City of London one which is already declared.

I'd expect the LibDems to improve on their showing last time; both the Tory County Council and District Council aren't popular. There has been snow on the ground for much of the day and turnout is likely l be very low; it'll be a postal vote election which probably favours the Tories.

My brother and Katie Price live in the ward. Separately.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    tlg86 said:

I see the West Country has ground to a halt this evening.

When is the Transport Minister resigning?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

tlg86 said:

I have actually been to points West: Exeter et al. Very pretty part of the world. Incredibly difficult to get to and not well served by things like buses. It's not resilient in harsh weather.
    Every time there's an amber warning of snow for the area the A30 is closed by the snow. Why don't people learn?
    Presumably because it happens once a year and it's cheaper for everyone to take the economic hit. Not nice to be caught out by it, though.
    I think it's beyond tedious that the UK doesn't cope with normal winter weather. Chicago suburban trains seem to be running even now

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/25/metra-extreme-cold-lower-speed-limit-trains-winter-weather/
    They might be running, but the city government has told everyone to stay at home if possible.
    And most other services are closed, including the schools, post, etc.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Toms said:
    I'd only read the version where SPOILER ALERT he survives. This one's better, not least because you can tell ANOTHER SPOILER the dog knows the chap's an idiot.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    IanB2 said:

rpjs said:

tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

tlg86 said:

I have actually been to points West: Exeter et al. Very pretty part of the world. Incredibly difficult to get to and not well served by things like buses. It's not resilient in harsh weather.
    Every time there's an amber warning of snow for the area the A30 is closed by the snow. Why don't people learn?
    Presumably because it happens once a year and it's cheaper for everyone to take the economic hit. Not nice to be caught out by it, though.
    I think it's beyond tedious that the UK doesn't cope with normal winter weather. Chicago suburban trains seem to be running even now

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/25/metra-extreme-cold-lower-speed-limit-trains-winter-weather/
    They might be running, but the city government has told everyone to stay at home if possible.
    And most other services are closed, including the schools, post, etc.
    Haven't they also been told to try not to breath when outside?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

slade said:

Apart from the City of London one which is already declared.

I'd expect the LibDems to improve on their showing last time; both the Tory County Council and District Council aren't popular. There has been snow on the ground for much of the day and turnout is likely l be very low; it'll be a postal vote election which probably favours the Tories.

My brother and Katie Price live in the ward. Separately.
    Have they had a row?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    sarissa said:

tlg86 said:

sarissa said:

tlg86 said:

Oops - that only happens in Scotland, where everything is the fault of the SNP government:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11976328
  • Options
    It's now just two months until the UK leaves the EU and the Netherlands' largest onion producer says she fears Brexit could leave her produce stuck in transit. The current border-free frictionless trade zone means British supermarkets can order crates of onions from the Netherlands in the morning and sell them within 24 hours.
  • Options

viewcode said:

...And me an ex-computer programmer too...

Saw this. Thought of you.

I totally agree. The idea of giving the internet control of my toaster..... no! Just no!
    The house is enabled!!! Obviously the education is not?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It's now just two months until the UK leaves the EU and the Netherlands' largest onion producer says she fears Brexit could leave her produce stuck in transit. The current border-free frictionless trade zone means British supermarkets can order crates of onions from the Netherlands in the morning and sell them within 24 hours.

Do we export onions?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    IanB2 said:

So Rutte needs to go to Brussels and get the backstop removed so the commons can vote for the WDA and the Dutch onion seller can continue to enjoy tariff and customs free access to the UK market. Or she can stand in the middle of her fields and watch the crop rot and believe in EU solidarity.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

IanB2 said:

So Rutte needs to go to Brussels and get the backstop removed so the commons can vote for the WDA and the Dutch onion seller can continue to enjoy tariff and customs free access to the UK market. Or she can stand in the middle of her fields and watch the crop rot and believe in EU solidarity.
    Perhaps Rutte could just go to Westminster and get them to vote for the deal.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Perhaps Rutte could just go to Westminster and get them to vote for the deal.
    Maybe, but he seems to be a lot smarter than the pro-EU people in the UK.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    edited January 2019
    NEW THREAD. Sorry, bagged the first 10 minutes ago and tired of waiting.
  • Options
    Richard Burgon, oh dear, oh dear , oh dear.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Nigelb said:

If nothing else, Brexit has inspired a KAL cartoon that is actually amusing.
    https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1091004358903414784

EU plugs are inferior and yet they still rigidly stick with them regardless...is that the message?
    You're asking for a complete rewiring of Europe before the end of March.... is that the message ?
    When I lived in Brussels as a kid there was a British expat who lived near to us. He had had his entire house rewired with UK plugs. My father always referred to him as "Drunk Eric". He also used to attack his wife quite frequently. Bit of a character.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Toms said:

It seems to me that English winters especially can be hard on structures as they often hover around zero degrees Fahrenheit, so causing damage by much freezing and thawing.

I know someone who attended a Chicago area school even once or twice when the temperature reached minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

Personally I prefer heat, as we had this last Summer.

The spread between high and low determines the amount of contraction and expansion.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    viewcode said:

...And me an ex-computer programmer too...

Saw this. Thought of you.

Very good, and very true! :+1:
This discussion has been closed.