Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leading Corbynista calls for Labour to introduce US-style prim

1235»

Comments

• AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

We could have it on five years' notice, that would be enough of a backstop to be worthy of the name I think. The rumoured date of just one year after transition, not so much...

Hell, offer ten years. Very much in mutually uncomfortable territory.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019

RobD said:

Not sure about the latter, although never say never, but quite likely to be highly skilled, in that field, Syrians.

To me, it seems unlikely that any group of people are likely to be highly skilled in machine learning. Unless it was a group of computer programmers.
    Didn't I read somewhere that there's interesting high (-ish, anyway) stuff going on in West Africa?
    Google have put money into Ghana.

A lot of the "machine learning" work in Africa though is actually mechanical turk stuff i.e. labelling data, it is equivalent of being a click farm, because wages are so cheap to pay people to click items on the screen, so that those doing the research in places like California have labelled data sets to work with.

However, most cutting edge ML people think that this is a massively flawed approach and now the future is about finding methods of "self supervision" that don't required billions of bits of labelled data.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Have it mutually terminateable on notice.

That’s all it takes

As others have responded, this would not then be a backstop.

I prefer (and I think the EU would prefer, if they were up for a meaningful change at all, that is, which I doubt) the idea of a sunshine clause - 5 years say.

That IS still a backstop, it's a time limited backstop.

And 5 years, plus the transition, therefore 7 years, is ample time to do the trade deal.

Or if it isn't, it would mean that Michael Gove (who will be running the show) is not the man we all think he is.
    We could have it on five years' notice, that would be enough of a backstop to be worthy of the name I think. The rumoured date of just one year after transition, not so much...
    5 years with a re-join/(WTO) at the end of the 5 years could be a suitable compromise. We'd be out of the EU for 7 years at that point, so able to make an informed choice about whether to rejoin at that point.
  • TOPPING said:

Scanning the media, it seems that Liam Neeson will end up either never working again or as the next Pope.

Well John Barnes is kinda of supporting him....by accusing him as not being as bad as that white supremacist Winston Churchill and that everybody is really a racist.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

TOPPING said:

Scanning the media, it seems that Liam Neeson will end up either never working again or as the next Pope.

Well John Barnes is kinda of supporting him....by accusing him as not being as bad as that white supremacist Winston Churchill and that everybody is really a racist.
    Yes, but what does Colin think ?
  • Sean_F said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

It’s quite ironic that those most likely to suffer the greatest under no deal are from sectors who fell for the garbage spouted by the Leave campaign .

Farmers who never stopped moaning about the EU ignored the fact the Tories had for years been trying to lower their subsidies . The fishermen ignoring the fact the Tories never fought for better quotas and who will be destroyed if they can’t export tariff free into their biggest market .

The high leave areas of the Midlands and ne whose manufacturing will be hit badly .

To be blunt I really could care less now . They voted for it they can own it, don’t expect Remainers to have an ounce of sympathy .

Hope they enjoy waving their blue passports and singing Vera Lynn songs on the way to the job centre!

I dunno, I do have some sympathy for some of these people. I mean, they may have been mistaken about how it would affect them but at least it was their skin in the game.

On the other hand, fuck the retirees.
    I couldn’t imagine my grandparents voting for something that they knew would be harmful for me . Just shows the complete selfishness of those who tell the world they’d do anything for their grand kids and then vote to make them second class citizens of Europe . And unfortunately I don’t share any sympathy for those who for example worked for Nissan and voted Leave . They were happy to trash my rights and freedoms and so I could care less if they eventually lose their jobs .
    My heart bleeds purple piss for you.
    Go see a Doctor.
  • Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, but what does Colin think ?
    The opposite of what ever Gary Lineker thinks.
  • kinabalu said:

If that's what it takes to kill the May backstop for good, you know the mad bastards will do it.

I'd be kind of hoping that it would kill THEM - or at least their role as power brokers.

You can't have a situation where a smooth & orderly exit from the European Union in accordance with the 2016 referendum is being stolen from the British people by a small sectarian party from Northern Ireland.

And if a GE is the only way to rectify, well ...
    It's a quirk of FPTP though, and we've tolerated that for long enough, so what's to complain about?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Brexit: People will always want to buy BMWs...

https://twitter.com/ElizaFilby/status/1092789366030811136
  • NEW THREAD

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848

It's a quirk of FPTP though, and we've tolerated that for long enough, so what's to complain about?

True. Although PR could result in more rather than less small party bargaining.

I am actually a big fan of our FPTP system for general elections. It has a brutal beauty - in particular the way it can lead to sudden sweeping changes, like Thatcher, like the Blair 97 landslide, and also how it can surprise and both delight and dismay. DC winning outright in 2015, for example, and the following morning no less than 3 party leaders resigning in tears. Such drama. The exit poll, Curtice, waiting for Basildon at 1.30 am, the electoral map, the battleground seats, all of that. Election night is the best night of any year when there is one. Would not be the same if we ditched FPTP.

And of course the last one, 2017, did not disappoint. Labour lost but won, and the Cons won but lost.

However it does appear now that we all lost.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    New HMV seems to have given up on the SW. Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol and Bath all closing.
This discussion has been closed.