Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The seven’s great strength is that they’ve not tried to be too

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The seven’s great strength is that they’ve not tried to be too ambitious

In March 1981 I was working at BBC News on the day of the famous Limehouse declaration which saw the launch of the SDP, the last big break away from the Labour Party. This was a massive development which until yesterday shaped our views of what a breakaway should look like.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,835
    edited February 2019
    Pretty much agree with this. The immediate future of this group - and its MPs - relies on the media attention they can grab rather than policies.

Edit: and first.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1097584789589233665

Getting some international recognition already.
  • FPT:

What the new group needs most is not to become the Secret Seven. They need to continue grabbing the media's attention, and to show potential Labour voters that their vision for the party is better than Corbyn's.

This will be made harder by the fact they're not a party, but easier by Corbyn's Labour capability of scoring own goals.

What they cannot afford is to become invisible like the Lib Dems.

While we joke that 'Don't Know' sometimes tops 'May' in the 'Best PM' scoring it has an overwhelming majority in the TIG leadership stakes:

If the independent group of former Labour MPs becomes a new political party with candidates standing for Parliament in the next General Election, which of the following do you think would make the best leader of the group?

Don't Know: 55
    Umunna: 30
    Berger: 8

And adding some 'star power' may not help:

If the independent group of former Labour MPs becomes a new political party with candidates standing for Parliament in the next General Election, would you be more or less likely to vote for it if Tony Blair was the leader rather than one of the MPs who formed the group?

More: 17
    Less: 45
    Neither: 25
    DK: 12

So the challenge is, how do they stay in the news? More defections will help - but the 'Brexit' angle doesn't seem to be cutting through:

Which of the following do you think is the primary reason for the seven MPs to resign from the Labour party?

Corbyn leadership: 43
    Anti-Semitism: 23
    Labour Brexit stance: 17
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190
    Fourth like TIG
    I feel Mike overstates the difference. There was, as I recall, two months between the Limehouse declaration and the actual formation of the SDP. Yesterday's event was more analogous to the declaration, and the intent to form a new party is already obvious and was referred to explicitly by several of them especially in answer to questions. They are already collecting supporters and asking for donations. It can only be days before some sort of formal infrastructure to deal with this starts to take shape.

Where they have been clever is in leaving the precise platform and stance of the new entity unclear, in the hope that they can pick up a chunk of Tories (as appears might have been the original plan last week?) before setting anything in stone,
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888

Deport tinge he punned
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,080
    *Pulls smug face*

Can I just remind people of this comment I made on the 26th July last year:

“Whether Labour are just being incredibly careless and complacent or whether Corbyn really is a closet Nazi, it is quite clear that this goes way, way beyond Livingstone making stupid remarks on Zionism or a shadow equalities minister calling for ethnic cleansing. This is now a systemic issue that implicates the entire Labour movement.

And unfortunately for Labour it has come (1) at the moment people are fed up with Brexit and (2) at the start of the silly season when the papers are looking for stuff to fill column inches.

I’ve been told before that there are not many Jews in this country. That is of course true. But if people get it in their heads that Labour are racist (and potentially criminals in light of other events) it’s going to hurt them badly.

I do hope all the scoffers are satisfied with the way their predictions turned out...
  • ydoethur said:

But if people get it in their heads that Labour are racist (and potentially criminals in light of other events) it’s going to hurt them badly.

tim, late of this parish is enjoying the Survation poll:

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/1097688133053935617
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    It's certainly lower key than the Limehouse Declaration. And, as I recall, there were a lot more positive vibes about then.

It's certainly lower key than the Limehouse Declaration. And, as I recall, there were a lot more positive vibes about then.

I'm inclined to agree with the thread header though. This gives them more options at a time when politics is in a state of flux.

I don't think it will go anywhere though. They seem more Unionist Free Traders or National Labour to me than Liberal Unionist (which was the last splitter party I can think of to have a long and meaningful existence). The best they can realistically hope for is to be Peelites moderating a new Liberal party.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Remind us of how quickly Corbyn apologised for his anti- semitism ..
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,832
    As is typical in this demented media age, Angela Smith’s brain freeze (which makes a kind of sense in context) is wilfully construed as a racist slur by her opponents.

Is there a word for people like Owen Jones who bandy about accusations of racism in bad faith?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Corbyn broke Labour. Shame on him and his motley band of outriders and bullies.
    edited February 2019

As is typical in this demented media age, Angela Smith’s brain freeze (which makes a kind of sense in context) is wilfully construed as a racist slur by her opponents.

Is there a word for people like Owen Jones who bandy about accusations of racism in bad faith?

Corbynista?

Edit - come to think of it, Godfrey Bloom of UKIP did it once. So let's call it a Bloomer.

Apart from anything else, it will piss off Owen Jones more than anything else we could possibly imagine...
    ydoethur said:

I'm inclined to agree with the thread header though. This gives them more options at a time when politics is in a state of flux.

I don't think it will go anywhere though. They seem more Unionist Free Traders or National Labour to me than Liberal Unionist (which was the last splitter party I can think of to have a long and meaningful existence). The best they can realistically hope for is to be Peelites moderating a new Liberal party.
    I think we're both thinking more or less the same thing here, and, although I suspect you'll somewhat balk at the idea, agreeing with Polly Toynbee. She writes that it's a distraction from the main issue of the day.
    edited February 2019

ydoethur said:

I think we're both thinking more or less the same thing here, and, although I suspect you'll somewhat balk at the idea, agreeing with Polly Toynbee. She writes that it's a distraction from the main issue of the day.
    Well, she should know. She's been writing rubbish that distracts from the main issue for 40-odd years.

Edit - I think, if I'm honest, the most likely scenario is that if Labour lose the next election any survivors will be allowed back in under a new Labour leader, a bit like the 'slice off the top' that followed the Carlton Club meeting in 1922, or can rejoin as private members. I just doubt if many of them would survive an election.
    BBC claims it's been told by two Tories they are considering joining
  • I think this one has been well planned and there are further steps defections to come - some of which may be surprising -to create some momentum. It is well funded and they will pick up a lot of donations. Vince Cables strategy over the liberal leadership may well be linked.

Structurally the two main parties do not reflect the country and crucially remain voters have not found a home under FPTP. A mistake to underestimate this.

One weakness is having Chuka as a putative leader- I just don't think he has it.
  • Good morning, everyone.

F1: No Williams yesterday, which we knew about, probably none today or tomorrow either. Bit iffy.

On the other hand, even with all that, they're likelier to be in better shape than they were with the dog of a car they had in 2018.

Vince Cables strategy

I'm afraid your comment lost all credibility with that comment.

Somebody who cant use apostrophes correctly isnt worth listening to.
  • As is typical in this demented media age, Angela Smith’s brain freeze (which makes a kind of sense in context) is wilfully construed as a racist slur by her opponents.

Who needs context when the OUTRAGE bus is in full flight?

https://twitter.com/andrewspoooner/status/1097548755245678592
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2019
    IanB2 said:

What fun it would be to see the Labour Party eviscerated.. Labour with no seats in Scotland, a rump of say 100 loons in England and about 20 in Wales and zero in Ireland. It just needs enough "maomentum" ;) for it to become a stampede..

Similarly, the Tories could lose a serious number too, and be left with the ERG loons.

I think this one has been well planned and there are further steps defections to come - some of which may be surprising -to create some momentum. It is well funded and they will pick up a lot of donations. Vince Cables strategy over the liberal leadership may well be linked.

Structurally the two main parties do not reflect the country and crucially remain voters have not found a home under FPTP. A mistake to underestimate this.

One weakness is having Chuka as a putative leader- I just don't think he has it.

I agree - although I don't think everything has gone to the plan, yesterday's launch intended to have been bigger and earlier than what we eventually got. Let's hope they get things back on track, as our politics certainly needs a shake up. The Tories should join early and not wait until after the 27th.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,224
    ydoethur said:

Vince Cables strategy

Though for Great Uncle Vince, cabling, rather then emailing, seems an entirely appropriate means of communication.

• IanB2 said:

While overall voters think they should, Conservative voters are split:

To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement? “MPs in the Conservative Party who oppose Brexit and the way their party is handling the Brexit process should join the independent group of former Labour MPs to form a new party.”

OA (Con 2017)

Agree: 40 (30)
    Neither: 26 (27)
    Disagree: 18 (30)
    DK: 15 (14)

Unsurprisingly, LibDem voters are most in favour of Tories jumping ship (59)

IanB2 said:

What fun it would be to see the Labour Party eviscerated.. Labour with no seats in Scotland, a rump of say 100 loons in England and about 20 in Wales and zero in Ireland. It just needs enough "maomentum" ;) for it to become a stampede..

Similarly, the Tories could lose a serious number too, and be left with the ERG loons.
    I think that unlikely. How many genuinely Europhile MPs are left in the Tories? Five? Plus there isn't really the same issue of personality dividing them as there is in Labour (whatever her errors over Windrush, May is no Fascist and is not trying to steer the Tories to the ERG position).

A more likely outcome is a chunk of the ERG split off because May is not going to give them No Deal (well, not deliberately). Now that would be desirable, and would go a long way towards clearing matters up.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Vince Cables strategy

Though for Great Uncle Vince, cabling, rather then emailing, seems an entirely appropriate means of communication.

You need something to cable before you send a cable.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well, she should know. She's been writing rubbish that distracts from the main issue for 40-odd years.

Edit - I think, if I'm honest, the most likely scenario is that if Labour lose the next election any survivors will be allowed back in under a new Labour leader, a bit like the 'slice off the top' that followed the Carlton Club meeting in 1922, or can rejoin as private members. I just doubt if many of them would survive an election.
    That rather depends upon the circumstances, and timing, of the next election. And who might join them in the meantime.
    And remember that recent polling shows a good two thirds of the electorate say they don’t think they are represented by the existing parties.

• SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I think that unlikely. How many genuinely Europhile MPs are left in the Tories? Five? Plus there isn't really the same issue of personality dividing them as there is in Labour (whatever her errors over Windrush, May is no Fascist and is not trying to steer the Tories to the ERG position).

A more likely outcome is a chunk of the ERG split off because May is not going to give them No Deal (well, not deliberately). Now that would be desirable, and would go a long way towards clearing matters up.
    Yes I know.. but the Labour bit would be wonderful, the trouble is it would mean the Tory loons in charge of the Country.. Yikes!
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Vince Cables strategy

Not a problem:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_character
  • Miss Vance, the Lib Dems should be careful of what they wish for. If a sizeable number of Conservatives and more Labour MPs jump ship, then the Lib Dems will end up squeezed almost entirely out of the media spotlight. They have a hard enough time as it is, and soon they may well be the... joint fifth, I think, biggest party in the Commons.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    edited February 2019

They need Liz Kendall.
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The extremes don't jump, because they rely on the host for their parasitical politics. The moderates at least have a chance of igniting the sort of mania we saw in 1981 and briefly in 2010.
    Christ, the absolubte state of some of the reactions on twitter to Majid Nawaz being assaulted.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Vince Cables strategy

£=$1.2908
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Vince Cables strategy

an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is.
  • One big factor the Tories have in their favour against defections is that they’re in Government.

Much more tempting to jump ship when you’re in opposition with no prospect of influencing your leader’s policy or Government policy.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,094
    At the moment they are lacking a critical mass. The SDP managed because they had Roy, Owen, Shirley and,,,the other one (sorry Bill). The current leadership of the Independents is nothing like that profile. Most of them have spent the last 2-3 years sulking in their tents with minimal media attention.

This could have been offset by numbers but 7 is at least 35 too small. They need others to sign up, ideally (from their point of view) including some Tories and they need this quickly. At the moment they are in danger of simply disappearing.

My provisional view is that this is going to be a zephyr in a thimble.
    On Betfair next GE 'most seats' for 'Other' is at 20. On the face of it not attractive odds, but it could be a good trading bet if we do enter a period of political mania.
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The extremes don't jump, because they rely on the host for their parasitical politics. The moderates at least have a chance of igniting the sort of mania we saw in 1981 and briefly in 2010.
    I suspect that May is very difficult to work with, though, and, from her time at the Home Office, I've strong suspicions about her attitude to racism.
  • IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

1981, yes, but in 2010 the Lib Dem’s were the NOTA that was going to change everything post credit crunch. Don’t laugh: the Brexit, Corbyn or UKIP of the day. Not because of mild centrism.

Only lasted a few weeks mind.
  • IanB2 said:

On Betfair next GE 'most seats' for 'Other' is at 20. On the face of it not attractive odds, but it could be a good trading bet if we do enter a period of political mania.

Funny you should mention that.......

Had the same thought a few weeks back and bought some at around 35. Glad I did now. I have no idea who Other might be. Shame Screaming Lord Sutch is no longer with us. This moment was made for him. Nevertheless the way the Two main Parties are behaving, anything is possible.

They need Liz Kendall.
    Who broke her short twitter silence to retweet Tom Watson's statement, two tweets about Derek Hatton rejoining, and one tweet calling for a people's vote.
  • Thread on Honda Swindon:

https://twitter.com/RobinBHarding/status/1097756788588335106

Short version 'Brexit didn't cause it, but doesn't help and is a face saving reason'
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

FPT:

What the new group needs most is not to become the Secret Seven. They need to continue grabbing the media's attention, and to show potential Labour voters that their vision for the party is better than Corbyn's.

This will be made harder by the fact they're not a party, but easier by Corbyn's Labour capability of scoring own goals.

While we joke that 'Don't Know' sometimes tops 'May' in the 'Best PM' scoring it has an overwhelming majority in the TIG leadership stakes:

If the independent group of former Labour MPs becomes a new political party with candidates standing for Parliament in the next General Election, which of the following do you think would make the best leader of the group?

If the independent group of former Labour MPs becomes a new political party with candidates standing for Parliament in the next General Election, would you be more or less likely to vote for it if Tony Blair was the leader rather than one of the MPs who formed the group?

So the challenge is, how do they stay in the news? More defections will help - but the 'Brexit' angle doesn't seem to be cutting through:

Which of the following do you think is the primary reason for the seven MPs to resign from the Labour party?

Predictable results at this point but ones that should be encoraging to the new group. We know already that three out of four Labour MPs don't like Corbyn's leadership and now they have a new home prepared for them it'll only take time and courage before they move across.

We've never had two less attractive political parties. Neither have we had so many voters looking for a home. This grouping should keep doing what they're doing now - collecting the disaffected from the unrepresented middle ground-until hopefully a 'Macron' will appear and Corbyn and his clique and Rees Mogg and his can return to their niche concerns.
    IanB2 said:

I don't think so, one to have backed in the hundreds, 1-20 is probably a good lay price if you've already done so.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    I think of we go to No Deal then the independent grouping will attract Tory Remainer MPs to it too and work with the LDs as a focal point of resistance to the Government and Brexit.

I am.not sure the Greens should be linked with the grouping though, most Greens are left-wing, even Corbynista rather than centrist thoughts share the group's hostility to Brexit.

Of course if Article 50 is extended and Brexit is revoked or we end up with BINO or May's Deal eith the backstop then Farage's new Brexit Party will gain traction so Brexit will shape our politics whichever way it goes
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    ydoethur said:

From their website, they look like Orange Bookers to me. Their Blairite emphasis on competition not cooperation doesn't appeal to me. And they are even less revolutionary that the LibDems.

People are yearning for a big change - hence the vote for Brexit and the appeal of Corbyn. This lot aren't going anywhere.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962
    Scott_P said:
    Degsy is fucking cool though.

He should stand in that by-election where the 1,000 year old MP just carked it.

One big factor the Tories have in their favour against defections is that they’re in Government.

Much more tempting to jump ship when you’re in opposition with no prospect of influencing your leader’s policy or Government policy.

Even the SDP got at least 1 Tory MP defecting and more at lower levels

Thread on Honda Swindon:

Short version 'Brexit didn't cause it, but doesn't help and is a face saving reason'

Brexit doesn't just have direct effects (tariffs, red tape, etc), however, but also sends a very powerful message that the UK no longer gives being friendly for business a high priority. I think it's the latter that is doing the damage; when we can't tell businesses their trading terms for the month ahead, and government doesn't seem wholly concerned, it isn't surprising that some of them are looking to invest elsewhere.
    PS. I see Hatton's back. That should bring in the crowds!
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,393
    I suspect there will be fewer Conservative joiners to this group than you would imagine. The fact this would be a group dominated by ex-Lab types would give it a policy tinge even the wettest Tory would have potential issues with. The pull factor for Conservative MPs isn't there imho. I think the biggest danger for Conservatives is after the leadership change. The structure of the leadership rules gives something of an incentive to stay. The Conservatives tend to limp around riven with differences rather than formally splitting apart. I'm sure a few people might look at the options of joining up with this faction but I can't genuinely think of more than one or two who would actually do it. The danger for the new faction of course in signing up the types of Tories most likely to come to them is that they increasingly look like an anti-Brexit sulk squad which may hamper their ability to forge ahead.

It wasn't a brain freeze. It was an inadvertent exposure of how she really thinks - a funny tinge.

FPT:

Umunna still ahead of Berger as preferred leader though and difficult to see anyone else leading it.

Could end up Umunna leader and Soubry deputy (the latter has already removed reference to the Conservative Party from her social media)
    IanB2 said:

Thread on Honda Swindon:

Brexit doesn't just have direct effects (tariffs, red tape, etc), however, but also sends a very powerful message that the UK no longer gives being friendly for business a high priority. I think it's the latter that is doing the damage; when we can't tell businesses their trading terms for the month ahead, and government doesn't seem wholly concerned, it isn't surprising that some of them are looking to invest elsewhere.
    It gives the sense of a sinking ship which has always been one of the dangers of Brexit. Even if partially unrelated it doesn't look good
    IanB2 said:

Good call. Worth a couple of quid as a trading bet if the independents group gets more defections.
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Good call. Worth a couple of quid as a trading bet if the independents group gets more defections.
    More defections pretty much nailed on, IMO. What we are waiting for is Kendall to jump and take over the reins, ideally with say Heidi Allen as deputy. Then we'd really be talking.
  • Honda announcement:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2019/c190219beng.html

19 February, 2019 - Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes.

No mention of the 'B' word.....
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited February 2019

Honda announcement:

19 February, 2019 - Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes.

yep, this much more about electric cars, than Brexit. The entire automotive industry will be changed in the next few decades.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962

Honda announcement:

Give it up. Everyone thinks it's Brexit and perception is reality.
    ToryJim said:

I suspect there will be fewer Conservative joiners to this group than you would imagine. The fact this would be a group dominated by ex-Lab types would give it a policy tinge even the wettest Tory would have potential issues with. The pull factor for Conservative MPs isn't there imho. I think the biggest danger for Conservatives is after the leadership change. The structure of the leadership rules gives something of an incentive to stay. The Conservatives tend to limp around riven with differences rather than formally splitting apart. I'm sure a few people might look at the options of joining up with this faction but I can't genuinely think of more than one or two who would actually do it. The danger for the new faction of course in signing up the types of Tories most likely to come to them is that they increasingly look like an anti-Brexit sulk squad which may hamper their ability to forge ahead.

The last time the Tories actually split was 1922. The last time they had factions that fielded candidates against each other was 1906. The only time there was ever a full-on split where two distinct parties emerged was 1846. I cannot see there being a significant schism, and as I say, if there is it will be the ERG that walk (and probably less than half of them).

If that helps.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    Pulpstar said:

Christ, the absolubte state of some of the reactions on twitter to Majid Nawaz being assaulted.

Understanding and sympathetic?
  • Does TIG make a snap election more likely? Will Theresa May call a spring election in order to capitalise on Labour disarray but more crucially before any Conservative MPs jump?
  • norman smith
    ‏Verified account @BBCNormanS

"This is not a Brexit related issue" -
    says Honda UK boss Ian Howells #r4today

Remoaners better try again.
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Honestly I really don't think so ! The appeal is err.. niche certainly in terms of FPTP. I'll give myself a liability up to £600 if you want to back at 20s.
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

From their website, they look like Orange Bookers to me. Their Blairite emphasis on competition not cooperation doesn't appeal to me. And they are even less revolutionary that the LibDems.

People are yearning for a big change - hence the vote for Brexit and the appeal of Corbyn. This lot aren't going anywhere.
    I think you're right, except in the arena of politics itself, where a big change agenda is up for grabs. The SDP was similar in the 1980s but traded successfully under the slogan "breaking the mould" for quite a while.

Does TIG make a snap election more likely? Will Theresa May call a spring election in order to capitalise on Labour disarray but more crucially before any Conservative MPs jump?

Unlikely, last night's Survation saw a 4% Tory lead merely increase 1% to 5% with the addition of the new anti Brexit Party, as the Tory voteshare was also slightly down even if less so than the Labour voteshare
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think so, one to have backed in the hundreds, 1-20 is probably a good lay price if you've already done so.
    You could have said the same about JRM as next Tory leader, yet he came right in to 6 or 7
  • Does TIG make a snap election more likely? Will Theresa May call a spring election in order to capitalise on Labour disarray but more crucially before any Conservative MPs jump?

i doubt it. Actual votes depends on people standing in seats taking votes away. Until they have an organisation, TIG will remain a paper tiger.

doesn't mean they won't but it'll be on a timescale of years not months.
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Understanding and sympathetic?
    Plentyh are, but some claiming he somehow deserves it for 'vilifying muslims' and also some "He's not english" EDL types.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,473

Honda announcement:

yep, this much more about electric cars, than Brexit. The entire automotive industry will be changed in the next few decades.
    Yes, but those electric cars are not going to be built here.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Honda announcement:

"Everyone"?

Guess that's why Turkey is closing too.

Even the FT Tokyo correspondent doesn't think the closure of a sub-scale loss making plant is purely down to Brexit.....
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

You could have said the same about JRM as next Tory leader, yet he came right in to 6 or 7
    Yes, I have a happy red number against him.
  • Honda announcement:

No B-word but what about the T-word: tautology? Does the phrase focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes mean Honda will build cars where it will build cars?
    edited February 2019
    HYUFD said:

I think of we go to No Deal then the independent grouping will attract Tory Remainer MPs to it too and work with the LDs as a focal point of resistance to the Government and Brexit.

I am.not sure the Greens should be linked with the grouping though, most Greens are left-wing, even Corbynista rather than centrist thoughts share the group's hostility to Brexit.

Of course if Article 50 is extended and Brexit is revoked or we end up with BINO or May's Deal eith the backstop then Farage's new Brexit Party will gain traction so Brexit will shape our politics whichever way it goes

The agenda is to change politics.

Even if the new grouping does well, it will attract its support more evenly than Labour or Tory, and therefore always be the most vulnerable to the evils of FPTnP.

Under say Kendall and Allen, it could go far.

The strategy should be to give the LibDems and Greens a free run in, say, a limited number of their target seats and fight the other 600-odd. Then introduce a fair voting system.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Honestly I really don't think so ! The appeal is err.. niche certainly in terms of FPTP. I'll give myself a liability up to £600 if you want to back at 20s.
    I agree. I have laid it at 20s.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Honda announcement:

And we could be well placed to take advantage. IIRC Europe's biggest electric car battery factory is in Coventry. LEVC electric black cabs are proliferating in London.
  • Foxy said:

Honda announcement:

Were they ever going to be? Brexit or no Brexit with free trade/low tariffs you're going to base your plants where they're cheapest. Thats never going to be the UK. We're too expensive facility and labour wise.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    edited February 2019
    Freggles said:
    Being right to do it is not necessarily an endorsement. Many corbynites probably think it is right they left.

This may be greedy of us, but we need more defections and soon. I really with some Tories so it is not just a labour group. Doesn't matter if all those defecting could work in a party together later, it's about recognising wherever they fit it's not their current homes.

But the speculation a vote next week is crunch time eorties me as it means Corbyn could be sensible (it's possible!) and head off more trouble .
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Dura_Ace said:

Honda announcement:

Except when that applies to something that you don't like and it's "FAKE NEWS!"

Honda announcement:

Interesting statement. As we discussed on here yesterday, the car industry globally is in a massive state of flux at the moment - except for at the top end of luxury, performance and motorsport, which are a massive British industry success story.

Hopefully Honda will work with employees and government to minimise the impact on those affected by this closure.

What's immediately clear though, is that a certain element of the #FPBE crowd, particularly on Twitter, are overjoyed at and celebrating anyone who announces job losses. Not a good look.

i doubt it. Actual votes depends on people standing in seats taking votes away. Until they have an organisation, TIG will remain a paper tiger.

doesn't mean they won't but it'll be on a timescale of years not months.
    Yes but the Conservatives can only make an issue of Labour splits before any Conservatives defect. That might be a significant factor if, as some believe, a snap election is already being considered.
    edited February 2019

Dura_Ace said:

Honda announcement:

"Everyone"?

Even the FT Tokyo correspondent doesn't think the closure of a sub-scale loss making plant is purely down to Brexit.....
    The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes...

Setting aside the poor wording, how likely do you think it might be that Honda - or any other given Japanese manufacturer - is thinking of the UK as their European production base for electric vehicle manufacturing post Brexit ?
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, I have a happy red number against him.
    Me too. The point being that our job is to identify when the market is likely to be wrong, and the time point at which it is likely to be the most wrong. On most seats for 'other' you'd be mad to lay it now.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    HYUFD said:

FPT:

Umunna still ahead of Berger as preferred leader though and difficult to see anyone else leading it.

Could end up Umunna leader and Soubry deputy (the latter has already removed reference to the Conservative Party from her social media)

I'd say Berger did her chances of being leader a whole heap of good yesterday. She came across as that rare political beast: somebody decent, acting for decent motives. Plus she has a perfectly compelling reason to leave behind her Labour Party roots.

Having a female leader would further distance the new grouping from Labour. As more MPs depart, what remains behind as Labour is going to have an ever more concentrated stench of piss about it.

Honda announcement:

In the next decade.
    Which is one of the reasons the timing of the Brexit endeavour could not be worse.
  • Foxy said:

Honda announcement:

Were they ever going to be? Brexit or no Brexit with free trade/low tariffs you're going to base your plants where they're cheapest. Thats never going to be the UK. We're too expensive facility and labour wise.
    No, for Honda the issue is falling sales in Europe and a plant in Swindon that loses money because its operating well below capacity. While Brexit hasn't helped, I doubt the decision would have been much different if the plant was in Dublin or Dusseldorf. Honda needs the economies of scale only Japan can provide for it.
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

I think you're right, except in the arena of politics itself, where a big change agenda is up for grabs. The SDP was similar in the 1980s but traded successfully under the slogan "breaking the mould" for quite a while.
    Yes I remember it well. The SDP attracted Charles Kennedy. Vince Cable and many others.I recruited several SDP members myself, some of whom are still friends.

I think the difference is the appeal of Jenkins, Williams and Owen who were heavyweight ex-ministers. This lot are lightweights.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

As long as you'll sell it back to me on the other side at 10s in a couple of weeks, sure ;)

I'm betting that a group of supporters of the defectors start putting money on it, as the media hype increases. There's very little chance of it actually happening unless the defectors get up over 100, form a party and become the Opposition.
  • Honda announcement:

No B-word but what about the T-word: tautology? Does the phrase focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes mean Honda will build cars where it will build cars?
    I think it means they plan to build cars in places that are near the other places where they're building cars. So it's meaningful because the opposite would also work conceptually, eg if they wanted to be spread out rather than clustered then they could say "we plan to distribute activity further from existing regions with high production volumes".
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Honda announcement:

"Everyone"?

The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes...

Setting aside the poor wording, how likely do you think it might be that Honda - or any other given Japanese manufacturer - is thinking of the UK as their European production base for electric vehicle manufacturing post Brexit ?
    They'll wait and see what the post-Brexit offer from Government will be. And free of EU regulation, that package can be better tailor-made to answer the question "what do you need from us?"
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Yes I remember it well. The SDP attracted Charles Kennedy. Vince Cable and many others.I recruited several SDP members myself, some of whom are still friends.

I think the difference is the appeal of Jenkins, Williams and Owen who were heavyweight ex-ministers. This lot are lightweights.
    Kendall is Key.
This discussion has been closed.