Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s no longer the “Next PM” betting favourite as punters

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s no longer the “Next PM” betting favourite as punters evaluate the week’s big developments

Betdata.io chart of movement on the Betfair exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    First.

Wot no TIGgers?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Second!
  • Options
    Second rate, like most of our politicians.
  • Options
    Corbyn always was a lay as next PM, because - other than in a government collapse - the next PM is very likely to be a Tory.
  • Options

Third rate aspiring to second?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    @SandyRentool regarding your comments about TIG running for the North of Tyne mayor, I'm not convinced. I think Newcastle is too tribal to Labour and Northumberland too tribal to Tory. What makes you think otherwise?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

The Tiggers would be best to hang on for its defections until Monday morning (leaked Sunday for paper exclusives). They command the news cycle currently so don’t need another hit until at least the weekend.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    edited February 2019

Is that an average score ?

I'd rate our politicians as world class at self-obsessed posturing but a lot lower at being constructive and competent.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Behind Michael Gove.

The unkindest cut of all....
  • Options
    The People's Front of Islington will never forgive those splitters in the Islington People's Front!
  • Options
    Corbyn for next PM? That's the biggest lay since The Great Whore of Babylon.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, we live in strange political times.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    No mention of Uncle Vince?
  • Options
    From the G:

' UK public finances hit record surplus in January
    Breaking: Good news for Philip Hammond, after public finances hit a record surplus of £14.9bn in January thanks to strong income tax receipts.

It easily beat City expectations of a £10.05bn surplus, and compared with borrowing of £3bn in December.

The figure comes just ahead of the chancellor’s spring statement on 13 March. '

There's a lot of self-assessment taxes paid in January and this does suggest that there are many, many people doing very well at the moment.
  • Options

Is that an average score ?

I'd rate our politicians as world class at self-obsessed posturing but a lot less at being constructive and competent.
    Seriously? The systems f*cked.

What to do? I wouldn't know where to start, although the voting system might be a good place.
  • Options
    King Cole, he was the past, once.

[I'm aware of the bad grammar, but the twist appealed to me].
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    FPT:
    DavidL said:

Wow.

The Exchequer has just arguably its best January ever*

*there are some timing effects January and February - we shall see

Absolutely incredible: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/bulletins/publicsectorfinances/january2019

"Borrowing (public sector net borrowing excluding public sector banks) in January 2019 was in surplus by £14.9 billion, a £5.6 billion greater surplus than in January 2018; this was the largest January surplus on record (records began in 1993)."

"Borrowing in the current financial year-to-date (April 2018 to January 2019) (YTD) was £21.2 billion, £18.5 billion less than in the same period last year; the lowest YTD for 17 years (since 2001)."

No one is going to persuade me that we generated that much extra tax with growth of 1.2% for the year. It's just not possible.
    Just to clarify - are you accusing the Treasury of cooking the books? Or are you saying that the growth figures are wrong?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

From the G:

Breaking: Good news for Philip Hammond, after public finances hit a record surplus of £14.9bn in January thanks to strong income tax receipts.

It easily beat City expectations of a £10.05bn surplus, and compared with borrowing of £3bn in December.

There's a lot of self-assessment taxes paid in January and this does suggest that there are many, many people doing very well at the moment.

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1098515480720146432
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I have long been skeptical about the point of another party, but I think I was wrong.

At the very least, they’ve surely already triggered the beginning of the end of Corbyn’s leadership for which we must all be grateful.

As far as I’m concerned the TIGs are heroes. If they can see off Corbyn *and* Brexit, we should put up statues to them in Parliament Square.
  • Options

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Heidi Allen will be up there before you can say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    On topic - hell's teeth, what an awful choice in those top two. It's like being offered a shit sandwich or a shit stew.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

The Tiggers would be best to hang on for its defections until Monday morning (leaked Sunday for paper exclusives). They command the news cycle currently so don’t need another hit until at least the weekend.

Which is of course already the plan
  • Options
    Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Heidi Allen will be up there before you can say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
    I just call it 'the first railway station on Anglesey.' It's easier.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, I'd start with the media. The relentless focus on personalities and pathetic lack of scrutiny of policy is unforgivably stupid. Just look at the level of scrutiny presented on Article 13. I can't remember seeing a damned thing about it on mainstream media.

For that matter, the best ever employment stats were a footnote on the news recently. The fetish for woe and misery distorts reporting, and public perception of reality.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

Wow.

Absolutely incredible: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/bulletins/publicsectorfinances/january2019

"Borrowing (public sector net borrowing excluding public sector banks) in January 2019 was in surplus by £14.9 billion, a £5.6 billion greater surplus than in January 2018; this was the largest January surplus on record (records began in 1993)."

"Borrowing in the current financial year-to-date (April 2018 to January 2019) (YTD) was £21.2 billion, £18.5 billion less than in the same period last year; the lowest YTD for 17 years (since 2001)."

No one is going to persuade me that we generated that much extra tax with growth of 1.2% for the year. It's just not possible.
    Just to clarify - are you accusing the Treasury of cooking the books? Or are you saying that the growth figures are wrong?
    There was a change this January. I think a chunk of people started to make payments on account in year who would previously have waited until the following January. I suspect there’s a strong timing effect here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Why not do what the locals do: Llanfair P.G.?

Or the traditional Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
  • Options
    I see La Soubry is on Question Time tonight.
    https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1098522727831531520
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Or better still, drive.
  • Options

King Cole, he was the past, once.

[I'm aware of the bad grammar, but the twist appealed to me].

LOL!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Because it's a non-existent made up place to amuse the English, like those two halts on the Fairbourne Railway.

As a good Remainer I do not pander to xenophobia. I demand the right to have my inner snowflake moment!
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

She's on LBC now, taking calls until 1pm.
  • Options
    Mr. P, interesting they went for Soubry.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    FPT
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

There was however a build up to the war - it wasn't a complete surprise - and the complete switch in the news agenda helped puncture the SDP's balloon.

Edit/ but you are certainly right that psephological analysis suggests that without the SDP the Tory landslide could well have been bigger

You are suggesting that the Thatcher government's chronic mishandling of Galtieri's much-telegraphed intentions to assault the Falklands boosted their support?

I have to say I feel this is a novel conclusion.
    I am saying that the news focus was turning towards the Falklands before the actual invasion. As I recall there was that incident with the scrap metal merchants occupying one of the uninhabited islands a few weeks prior. And all the sabre rattling in Argentina.
    And the discussions 'in principle' with the Argentines over some sort of joint sovereignty. There was a Parliamentary row in IIRC, late 1981, when it came out, led by Bernard Braine (Cons) and Peter Shore (Lab) over what our diplomats appeared to be up to.
    If it gets invaded again the autopsy won't be so mild because Britain won't be getting it back now it's got a 8,500ft runway.
    The way they got hold of that runway the first time was one of the greatest military operations of all time though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck
    youtube.com/watch?v=PBJ99bIhAVk

• Options

I have long been skeptical about the point of another party, but I think I was wrong.

At the very least, they’ve surely already triggered the beginning of the end of Corbyn’s leadership for which we must all be grateful.

As far as I’m concerned the TIGs are heroes. If they can see off Corbyn *and* Brexit, we should put up statues to them in Parliament Square.

Maybe not go that far but there is a hope now that Corbyn is in real danger, and his broadcast to the labour defectors showed him as nasty and spiteful.

As far as brexit is concerned I do hope that either the deal goes through or there ia a vote on the deal
  • Options
    Interesting piece in the Spectator: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/a-divided-labour-could-hand-the-tories-another-12-years-of-power/

"As one cabinet minister argues, the formation of the Independent Group will be beneficial for the government even though three Tory MPs have defected to it. The minister’s logic is that Tory voters are roughly speaking where the Tory leadership is on Brexit, and it is hard to imagine many of the party’s supporters being attracted to a group made up of the most ardent second referendum enthusiasts."

I'm not so sure on that line of reasoning.

The Tory vote share has proved remarkably resilient since 2017 despite intra-party disagreements leading the news every other day and a complete failure to progress on Brexit, the one policy they have.

My hunch is that the Conservative vote is being shored up by people who will never vote for a Marxist. Yes, this is only a hunch, but I don't think it's too much of a leap to say "some British voters are unimpressed with the current Tories but don't want to vote for a Marxist".

So the minister may be over-confident. I can easily see 15% of Tory support peeling off to TIG simply because there is now another alternative to voting for Marxists, and better still, an alternative that doesn't have Jacob Rees-Mogg or Andrew Bridgen in its ranks.
  • Options

Mr. Punter, I'd start with the media. The relentless focus on personalities and pathetic lack of scrutiny of policy is unforgivably stupid. Just look at the level of scrutiny presented on Article 13. I can't remember seeing a damned thing about it on mainstream media.

For that matter, the best ever employment stats were a footnote on the news recently. The fetish for woe and misery distorts reporting, and public perception of reality.

The media certainly plays its part, Morris. You have a good example today. I may not be overwhelmed by yesterday's three TIGers, but the Daily Mail headline today was pure fiction.

The Telegraph wasn't much better.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

Wow.

HMRC aren't deliberately cooking the books, but I agree with David L that the figures are difficult to reconcile.

Since we have a productivity puzzle that's also difficult to explain the answer might be that growth is better than it looks, at least a little bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Because it's a non-existent made up place to amuse the English, like those two halts on the Fairbourne Railway.

As a good Remainer I do not pander to xenophobia. I demand the right to have my inner snowflake moment!
    Incidentally, Dr, if you're prepared to think about work during your half term, my primary school teacher grandson was instructed by his Academy to teach the Greek Gods to his year 3's last half term, as part of the History curriculum. Marathon and Thermopylae were not considered suitable.
    Now it's the Tudors, although he's to concentrate on Tudor clothes.

He's not best pleased.
  • Options

Interesting piece in the Spectator: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/a-divided-labour-could-hand-the-tories-another-12-years-of-power/

"As one cabinet minister argues, the formation of the Independent Group will be beneficial for the government even though three Tory MPs have defected to it. The minister’s logic is that Tory voters are roughly speaking where the Tory leadership is on Brexit, and it is hard to imagine many of the party’s supporters being attracted to a group made up of the most ardent second referendum enthusiasts."

The Tory vote share has proved remarkably resilient since 2017 despite intra-party disagreements leading the news every other day and a complete failure to progress on Brexit, the one policy they have.

My hunch is that the Conservative vote is being shored up by people who will never vote for a Marxist. Yes, this is only a hunch, but I don't think it's too much of a leap to say "some British voters are unimpressed with the current Tories but don't want to vote for a Marxist".

So the minister may be over-confident. I can easily see 15% of Tory support peeling off to TIG simply because there is now another alternative to voting for Marxists, and better still, an alternative that doesn't have Jacob Rees-Mogg or Andrew Bridgen in its ranks.

I'm with you. I think said minister is assuming his conversations with his local members represent the views of wider Tory voters.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

She's on LBC now, taking calls until 1pm.
    John Barnes proving that all you need is one very stupid comment to become a darling of the BBC
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    edited February 2019
    FPT

TheWhiteRabbit said:
    Wow.

I said:

• Options
    Doesn't he look old now?
  • Options

Doesn't he look old now?

Tory Propaganda!
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,897
    edited February 2019

From the G:

Self-assessed taxes are rather a trailing indicator of the UK's economic health. I paid my largest ever tax bill as a sole trader in January. However, this tax was based on my earnings in the last tax year, to April 2018. Since then, though, my business has taken quite a significant downturn, but this will only be reflected in my taxes later this year and next year.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

If anything I think the presence of TIG means the Tories will wave through Theresa's deal with some face saving minor change. Look at how JRM reacted when he got shot down over the Malthouse amendment, he didn't throw his toys out of the pram, that's what the Tiggers have achieved IMO, they will force the ERG chumps back in line because we risk losing our majority of they stay on their current path.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

Incidentally, Dr, if you're prepared to think about work during your half term, my primary school teacher grandson was instructed by his Academy to teach the Greek Gods to his year 3's last half term, as part of the History curriculum. Marathon and Thermopylae were not considered suitable.

He's not best pleased.
    Why are Marathon and Thermopylae not suitable while rape, incest, fratricide, cannibalism and kidnap are?

And why are Tudor clothes more relevant than say the dissolution of the monasteries or the changing patterns of religious worship?

I'm inclined to wonder if this shows that the SLT members responsible were appointed because of who their friends were.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

Wow.

The growth figures are wrong. By a reasonable amount to, not the odd tenth.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

You Welsh have always been faint-hearted
  • Options

One of the interesting aspects of the recent post-TIG polling is that other parties outside of the big two have also done well - UKIP, Greens and Others (Brexit Party?)

By symbolically breaking the duopoly the creation of TIG gives licence to voters who wouldn't consider voting for Centrist Remainers to consider voting for minor parties on the right and left.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.
    Why are Marathon and Thermopylae not suitable while rape, incest, fratricide, cannibalism and kidnap are?

And why are Tudor clothes more relevant than say the dissolution of the monasteries or the changing patterns of religious worship?

I'm inclined to wonder if this shows that the SLT members responsible were appointed because of who their friends were.
    He believes that to be the case; was grumbling to us yesterday on the point. However he's fairly newly qualified and wants to get a bit more time under his belt before going elsewhere. Although he's not convinced yet that anywhere else will be better,

Anyway rape, incest, fratricide, and kidnap are not unknown in Basildon, although I wasn't, when I worked in the area, aware of any cannibalism
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

You Welsh have always been faint-hearted
    The French said that before Azincourt.

But 500 Welshmen whipped the arses of 40,000 Frenchmen so hard they agreed to accept a Welshman as their next King.

See here from Matt Stevens, who is an absolute legend:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34618197
  • Options
    If they're doing Greek mythology, that might include bestiality. Minos' wife, whose name escapes me, did get boffed by a bull.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

Wow.

Isn't in the ONS which calculates the growth figures?
  • Options

If they're doing Greek mythology, that might include bestiality. Minos' wife, whose name escapes me, did get boffed by a bull.

Again not heard of that in Basildon. Might give the children ideas, though!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

FPT:

DavidL said:

Wow.

HMRC aren't deliberately cooking the books, but I agree with David L that the figures are difficult to reconcile.

Since we have a productivity puzzle that's also difficult to explain the answer might be that growth is better than it looks, at least a little bit.
    Some of it is the very tight financial discipline we have had since about 2000, spending almost never seems to go above budget anymore. But the increase in IT revenue in January was £1.9bn, up to £14.7bn. That is a hefty increase. CGT was also up £1.2bn. Likewise.

There are longer term trends towards more self employment which makes historical comparisons difficult but not over the last 12 months. Indeed, IIRC there has been an increase in paid employment and a modest reduction in self-employed status over that time.

To me, this suggests far more economic activity than the ONS is capturing. It also suggests that overall earnings growth is running well ahead of the official 3% or so based on employed figures. This in turn suggests that there is a lot more demand available in the economy than the current modelling indicates improving the prospects of us avoiding the EZ recession this year.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    edited February 2019
    DavidL said:

FPT

TheWhiteRabbit said:
    Wow.

I said:

January's Tax take include and is largely made up of the final tax payments for the tax year to April 2018. So it's not 2018's 1.2% growth you are looking at but 2017's 1.8%
  • Options

Pasiphae
  • Options
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

He believes that to be the case; was grumbling to us yesterday on the point. However he's fairly newly qualified and wants to get a bit more time under his belt before going elsewhere. Although he's not convinced yet that anywhere else will be better,

Anyway rape, incest, fratricide, and kidnap are not unknown in Basildon, although I wasn't, when I worked in the area, aware of any cannibalism
    Cannibalism? Try a weekend in Vange.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TheWhiteRabbit said:
    Wow.

I said:

January's Tax take include and is largely made up of the final tax payments for the tax year to April 2018. So it's not 2018's 1.2% growth you are looking at but 2017's 1.8%
    It's a fair point, but VAT and CT have also remained strong, and they have a lot less lag.

• Options
    edited February 2019

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

I'm just bewildered as to why the Greco-Persian Wars are unsuitable for Year 3. There's a huge amount could be brought into it - science (the building of those bridges) geography (the locations) sport (Marathons) and religion (the way the Persian empire had spread by not imposing cultural revolution on the conquered). All with loads of great stories thrown in and some brilliant works of art.

It's perfect. Meanwhile I would actually think twice before telling the stories of some of the gods before about year 9.

Edit - especially that one about Pasiphaë!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

No cannibalism? You obviously didn't wander into Vange.
  • Options
    Unlike other sites we seem to have discussed this already but I'll post it again as it's my twitter feed
    https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1098527833205473280
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TheWhiteRabbit said:
    Wow.

I said:

Whilst that is true my accountant (and presumably others) looks at the 2018 numbers too to make sure that there is not a significant change that would justify or require less or more to account of the current tax year.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, interesting perspective, given the then Prince Henry (future Henry V) was given the task of suppressing Welsh rebellion when he was 14 :p
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    It is only a viable project if it actually gets some real names on board. At the moment, it lacks political weight.

I know there are people who think that comes with Chuka - but they are wrong. He is a dreadful public speaker and comes off as self-serving.

They need a Roy or a Shirley. Someone who has held a significant office - a track record of service and (hopefully) success.

Backbenchers who would be struggled to be named by their own constituents don't quite cut the mustard.

BTW does Sarah Wollaston lose her position as Chair of the Health Select Committee - given that she was only present on the committee by virtue of being a Tory MP?
  • Options
    It'd be mildly interesting to see what defections take place if we did participate in the European elections. I could imagine a Labour MEP like Seb Dance jumping ship to TIG, for example.
  • Options

Pasiphae
    Bless you.
  • Options
    Right now every one of them would lose their seats if there were by elections. That might not always be the case, of course, but whilst Kamikaze is probably overstating it I think political oblivion is still more likely than not. It is brave, possibly in a Yes Minister sense.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

When a youth from Canvey, Vange was about the last place I'd go.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Dan's 100% record intact
  • Options
    eek said:

Unlike other sites we seem to have discussed this already but I'll post it again as it's my twitter feed

Problem: Need to have the elections
    Solution: Have the elections

This was the easiest thing about brexit so far.
  • Options
    I see I wasn't the only one to notice Corbyn did not look well:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1098525355219001344
  • Options

eek said:

Problem: Need to have the elections
    Solution: Have the elections

This was the easiest thing about brexit so far.
    Everything is lined up around us not having those elections as I suspect no one wants to see the result for what would almost be a referendum by proxy..
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, interesting perspective, given the then Prince Henry (future Henry V) was given the task of suppressing Welsh rebellion when he was 14 :p

Naturally.

You want a good job done in the fifteenth century? Send for a Welshman.

We saw that with him and the Talbots against Glyndwr, Henry himself at Agincourt, Owen Tudor when Queen Katherine was feeling lonesome, Jasper Tudor for most of the second half of the century, William Herbert under Edward IV, and Henry VII when a certain infanticide needed replacing.

I'll note the 13th Earl of Oxford as an honourable exception.

(I am teasing somewhat, by the way, before anyone gets too carried away!)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

Back in 2013, I actually survived walking the whole length of the A13 from Aldgate to Shoeburyness.
  • Options
    eek said:

So when would be the latest that (1) we could organise European elections in the UK and (2) that other countries could modify their European elections to remove the additional MEPs they have been allocated?

But then, if we have an extension of article 50 to July 1st, and then we decide to revoke article 50 on June 30th, then whatever mess exists for the European Parliament elections has to be resolved somehow.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

Back in 2013, I actually survived walking the whole length of the A13 from Aldgate to Shoeburyness.
    Were you looking for a secondhand car?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

I'm just bewildered as to why the Greco-Persian Wars are unsuitable for Year 3. There's a huge amount could be brought into it - science (the building of those bridges) geography (the locations) sport (Marathons) and religion (the way the Persian empire had spread by not imposing cultural revolution on the conquered). All with loads of great stories thrown in and some brilliant works of art.

It's perfect. Meanwhile I would actually think twice before telling the stories of some of the gods before about year 9.

If I were the father of one of the children I think I'd have reservations about Cronus and Uranus too.
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TheWhiteRabbit said:
    Wow.

I said:

It's a fair point, but VAT and CT have also remained strong, and they have a lot less lag.

Mr Rabbit, just noticed your change of icon. Have you found a new allegiance? I am tempted to comment, "oh dear."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TheWhiteRabbit said:
    Wow.

I said:

Mr Rabbit, just noticed your change of icon. Have you found a new allegiance? I am tempted to comment, "oh dear."
    No, I'm still a Tory. I just couldn't resist the prospect of a new avatar.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

If I were the father of one of the children I think I'd have reservations about Cronus and Uranus too.
    The fathers of many of the children are about in the area, but not close enough for violent action.
  • Options

Yes. She's by far the easiest target for the Corbynistas, so the choice of Soubry would seem to favour Labour. Which might accord with received BBC-bias wisdom... except that you would have thought the BBC worldview would be strongly in favour of the TIG. Berger would have been the real anti-Corbyn pick.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    These sorts of stories don't ring true for me. An online business with more than a 5 week lead time for products is doing something wrong.

And anyone who believes that this sort of order will be affected is just exaggerating.

More details needed before this is in any way credible.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, his younger brother (John, I think) got sent to sort out Ireland when he was 14. He did a rather better job than his regal namesake, although that's a little unfair given the backhanded nature of the compliment...

Henry IV's policy was to get his kids stuck in early, which was how he himself had acted in his youth. Interesting monarch, much enjoyed Ian Mortimer's biography of him.
  • Options
    Trust the Tories - they embraced Trumpism and the alt-right the very moment all that started going out of fashion. Dump Rees-Mogg, Boris etc. TIG is the new black. The Tories need to get in there.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

Why? What's wrong with Uranus? :lol:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

No I just had a strange obsession with the A13, that's all :lol:
  • Options
    This is a point that often gets overlooked. While the SDP struggled to win seat in the 80s that was after their polling support fell - a lot.

Had they polled better they could have reached a tipping point where FPTP plays in their favour and against the old parties. Like 2015 SNP.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

First.

Wot no TIGgers?

He's not best pleased.

No I just had a strange obsession with the A13, that's all :lol:
    Must admit I know people who have walked the Thames Bank from Shoeburyness to the Olympic site..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    MPs have made their minds up. Drop the bloody backstop.

Just because he doesn't like that doesn't mean MPs haven't made a decision.
  • Options

Yes. She's by far the easiest target for the Corbynistas, so the choice of Soubry would seem to favour Labour. Which might accord with received BBC-bias wisdom... except that you would have thought the BBC worldview would be strongly in favour of the TIG. Berger would have been the real anti-Corbyn pick.
    Anna Soubry is the tigger with the most senior ministerial record though, which if I were a BBC employee would be my main criterion when deciding which to ask for first.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited February 2019

BTW does Sarah Wollaston lose her position as Chair of the Health Select Committee - given that she was only present on the committee by virtue of being a Tory MP?

No, I don't think so. Membership is decided by vote at (IIRC) at the start of each Parliament, and certainly not normally on a day-to-day basis. If there was a substantial defection on one committee which meant that there was an Opposition majority on the Committee then I expect the Whips would want to look if they could do something about it, but there's nothing automatic about it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    MPs have made their minds up. Drop the bloody backstop.

Just because he doesn't like that doesn't mean MPs haven't made a decision.
    And how is this 'decision' to be attested, Telegraph opinion pieces and social media?
  • Options

Anna Soubry is the tigger with the most senior ministerial record though, which if I were a BBC employee would be my main criterion when deciding which to ask for first.
    I think I'd want someone senior but also representative of the group as a whole, in the circumstances. Anyhow, it's only QT.
This discussion has been closed.