Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fringe concerns. Why all the focus on anti-Semitism in the Lab

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    glw said:

Oh man - what a game!!!

Ridiculous. A proper old-school United win, Solskjær has to get the job now surely.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1103417108313096192
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    I’m probably in a minority, but that is a penalty for me. The defender looks at the flight of the ball and lets his arm get in its path. I think it’s the right decision.

Extraordinary game.
  • Options
    He's an MP looking to honour the referendum result.

He's looking to prevent the disaster of No Deal, something Leavers said wouldn't happen/is Project Fear.
  • Options
    So is the PB consensus if Brexit gets delayed for more than 3 months then Brexit will never happen?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Oh man - what a game!!!

As my son said - wow wow wow.

First time ever in European Champions league history a team losing 2 - 0 at home in the first leg have progressed, and lets not forget this PSG

And 10 first teamers missing through injury
    Yes, I hadn’t realised that statistic - it’s actuslly an all-time record (I.e includes European Cup before it became the Champions’ League)
  • Options
  • Options

Oh man - what a game!!!

First time ever in European Champions league history a team losing 2 - 0 at home in the first leg have progressed, and lets not forget this PSG

Quite incredible. And I nearly didn't bother watching!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Just out of curiosity, has any Labour MP ever endorsed a depiction of a prominent Jewish politician being buggered by a pig?

A prominent Tory MP has endorsed a depiction of a prominent Muslim politician being buggered by a pig. And guess what. He's still a prominent Tory MP.

Which one? I'm shocked I have not heard of this.
    The Brexiteer Mickey Fab.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/13/tory-mp-apologises-for-tweet-of-sadiq-khan-image-with-pig-balloon
    I remember when Martin Day caused widespread mirth by depicting Nick Clegg being mounted by a baboon.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

He's looking to prevent the disaster of No Deal, something Leavers said wouldn't happen/is Project Fear.
    No - he is looking to overturn the referendum result. There is nothing in his behaviour about honouring it.
  • Options
  • Options

So is the PB consensus if Brexit gets delayed for more than 3 months then Brexit will never happen?

Looks like it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    He's an elected MP in a sovereign parliament.
  • Options

He's unwilling to tolerate any Brexit, not just No Deal. That's the opposite of honouring the result.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

You're getting him mixed up with Caroline Spelman, Nick Boles and Letwin
  • Options

No - he is looking to overturn the referendum result. There is nothing in his behaviour about honouring it.
    It only gets overturned if enough people have changed their minds.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Oh man - what a game!!!

An amazing result, and Lukaku has been brilliant the last few matches.

This is what United used to be like, always capable of turning a loss into a draw, or draw into a win. I generally think clubs are far too quick to fire managers, but bloody hell it has worked, and by chance United have maybe found what they were missing with their caretaker manager.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

I’m probably in a minority, but that is a penalty for me. The defender looks at the flight of the ball and lets his arm get in its path. I think it’s the right decision.

Extraordinary game.

The Schalke penalty awarded was the worst
  • Options
    glw said:

Oh man - what a game!!!

An amazing result, and Lukaku has been brilliant the last few matches.

This is what United used to be like, always capable of turning a loss into a draw, or draw into a win. I generally think clubs are far too quick to fire managers, but bloody hell it has worked, and by chance United have maybe found what they were missing with their caretaker manager.
    Many many happy memories over the years watching United play the United way
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He's unwilling to tolerate any Brexit, not just No Deal. That's the opposite of honouring the result.
    How is he any different from Leave backing MPs who have said Remaining is better than Mrs May's deal?
  • Options
    Not in the slightest.

I voted to Remain - and believe that the referendum should still be honoured.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

Brexit will not happen. Well done - you won. We were offered a vote, but well, most MPs had no real intention of honouring it. Remain kicked and screamed and sulked and sabotaged, and, well, looks like we're stuck in the EU now.

I can't really be arsed voting again.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Ah who the hell knows any more.

But since you asked...depends what the extension would be used for.

Used for a second referendum...remain probably wins, we stay in.
    Used for a GE, Conservatives probably win,we do all this again unless they can get a semi-decent majority.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

How is he any different from Leave backing MPs who have said Remaining is better than Mrs May's deal?
    Only, in that he is more intelligent. He understands that he is preventing Brexit. They haven't yet worked out that they are doing so.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1103420437776744450

I know this is serious and all but "everything is going to be shit" is like the anti-Lego movie.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Just out of curiosity, has any Labour MP ever endorsed a depiction of a prominent Jewish politician being buggered by a pig?

A prominent Tory MP has endorsed a depiction of a prominent Muslim politician being buggered by a pig. And guess what. He's still a prominent Tory MP.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/13/tory-mp-apologises-for-tweet-of-sadiq-khan-image-with-pig-balloon
    So does everyone agree that because he is still a Tory MP, Theresa May is obviously a big Islamophobe and is facilitating Islamophobia in the Tory party?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Brexit will not happen. Well done - you won. We were offered a vote, but well, most MPs had no real intention of honouring it. Remain kicked and screamed and sulked and sabotaged, and, well, looks like we're stuck in the EU now.

Nobody has won.

I'm still in favour of Leaving even without a deal.

Whatever, Revoke or Leave, happens the country's buggered.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    _Anazina_ said:

Extraordinary game.

Yes, I think it is a fair call as he moved his body knowing the shot was coming. But, his arms were still in the “natural silhouette”, so it would be interesting to know if it might be different from next season.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Brexit can happen next week, if the ERG unicorn hunt was called off. But they don't really want to leave, because what would they do with their rest of their lives?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    Speaking of Johnny Mercer, this just popped up on my twitter. Anyone know what it's about?

https://twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1052233618356142080
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Extraordinary game.

Yes, I think it is a fair call as he moved his body knowing the shot was coming. But, his arms were still in the “natural silhouette”, so it would be interesting to know if it might be different from next season.
    The handball rules aren't being properly applied right now - see the Schalke penalty from Man City game
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

Cookie said:

Brexit can happen next week, if the ERG unicorn hunt was called off. But they don't really want to leave, because what would they do with their rest of their lives?
    +1 This last para nails it.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

So does everyone agree that because he is still a Tory MP, Theresa May is obviously a big Islamophobe and is facilitating Islamophobia in the Tory party?
    It depends whether or not the cartoon was funny. We all had a laugh about David Cameron's encounter with a pig.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

It depends whether or not the cartoon was funny. We all had a laugh about David Cameron's encounter with a pig.
    Oh right. When it's Islamophobia, it's OK if it's funny. Yes.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Well, who in their right mind wouldn't be amused by the thought of a Muslim being buggered by a pig? Of course.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited March 2019
    glw said:

Oh man - what a game!!!

Ridiculous. A proper old-school United win, Solskjær has to get the job now surely.
    You winning with a dodgy penalty in Fergie time. just like the old days!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Someone who is entitled to express an opinion over the behaviour of a member of Parliament who is over-reaching what I believe to be the role of someone in his position
  • Options
    No FT until midnight. Major embargo?
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Someone who is entitled to express an opinion over the behaviour of a member of Parliament who is over-reaching what I believe to be the role of someone in his position
    And Grieve thinks he is someone entitled to express an opinion too
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Well, who in their right mind wouldn't be amused by the thought of a Muslim being buggered by a pig? Of course.
    If you can't laugh about a politician being buggered by a pig (or some other well-endowed animal) what can you laugh about?
  • Options
  • Options
    Ah, thanks. Positively Partridge-esque.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Scott_P said:
    Who does this unnamed Brexiteer mean by 'we' and what does losing mean? Because surely the most exuberant Brexiteers think losing means the deal passing?

Cookie said:

The more charitable explanation as advanced by some on here is that the deal is not really leaving (though I find that argument very weak) or of course that no deal is better than a crap deal - but I have been surprised how many really do seem to believe that no brexit is better than a bad brexit.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

https://order-order.com/2019/03/06/german-economists-no-deal-will-hit-ireland-three-times-harder-uk/

However, the Institut also modelled the effect of a “hard but smart” Brexit, where the UK left with no deal but also put in place large unilateral tariff cuts, more or less exactly along the lines of what what the Government is planning. In this scenario, the UK actually faces a smaller impact than the EU – they forecast a -0.5% impact on the UK compared to -0.4% for France and -0.48% for Germany, and -0.6% for the EU as a whole. Ireland is still by far the biggest loser, taking a -5.39% hit, ten times the size of the UK…

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Cookie said:

Leaving properly and trading with your neighbours isn't a unicorn what happens the rest of the world over. The rest of the f***ing world finds a way to exist, why can't we?
  • Options
    Pretty sure I remember him telling us we should not Brexit. Really I should be apologising to him.
  • Options
    I take issue with it being a matter of age. Unless he is referring to political generations? Because someone might enter parliament late compared to some and be a relative novice at an age others are 30 year veterans, and so a breath of fresh air, if such is needed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

If you can't laugh about a politician being buggered by a pig (or some other well-endowed animal) what can you laugh about?
    Yeah, sure. If a Labour MP had endorsed an image of a Jewish politician being buggered by a pig the laughter would have been deafening.
  • Options
    Floater said:

https://order-order.com/2019/03/06/german-economists-no-deal-will-hit-ireland-three-times-harder-uk/

However, the Institut also modelled the effect of a “hard but smart” Brexit, where the UK left with no deal but also put in place large unilateral tariff cuts, more or less exactly along the lines of what what the Government is planning. In this scenario, the UK actually faces a smaller impact than the EU – they forecast a -0.5% impact on the UK compared to -0.4% for France and -0.48% for Germany, and -0.6% for the EU as a whole. Ireland is still by far the biggest loser, taking a -5.39% hit, ten times the size of the UK…

Do you realise the UK suffers a downturn in that scenario?

Not what Vote Leave promised the voters.

The fact the Irish suffer more than us will be no comfort to people in the UK who lose their jobs.

Which is that a 0.5% fall in GDP usually means.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well at least they're not foolishly thinking they can get it through at least. Will they please just give up on the deal already (or at least, give up on it in anything other than approval via a referendum). It's not a pleasant or edifying spectacle seeing the government, half of which doesn't really seem to like the deal anyway given the lukewarm effort they put in on it, keep flogging this dead horse.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leaving properly and trading with your neighbours isn't a unicorn what happens the rest of the world over. The rest of the f***ing world finds a way to exist, why can't we?
    Of course we could 'exist' but it's hardly the sunlit uplands we were promised.

Alternatively we could stay in the EU and continue to thrive.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

Yes.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Yeah, sure. If a Labour MP had endorsed an image of a Jewish politician being buggered by a pig the laughter would have been deafening.
    Quite.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Perhaps it would have been more tactful to show him being assaulted by a bear.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    In 20 minutes it will be 22 days to 11:01pm March 29 2019. Will we still be in the European Union?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well at least they're not foolishly thinking they can get it through at least. Will they please just give up on the deal already (or at least, give up on it in anything other than approval via a referendum). It's not a pleasant or edifying spectacle seeing the government, half of which doesn't really seem to like the deal anyway given the lukewarm effort they put in on it, keep flogging this dead horse.
    Nowadays they're having to reanimate it before they can flog it to death all over again.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

We've already had some outrage tonight because Michael Howard was depicted trying to hypnotise people by swinging a pocket watch, just like Shylock does in the Merchant of Venice.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    edited March 2019

I reckon plan B is a 21 month extension. So much the same as the WA in practice, just inside the EU rather than inside. We could leave straight to an FTA, except our negotiators have both the energy and competence of a dead snail.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

The fact the Irish suffer more than us will be no comfort to people in the UK who lose their jobs.

you said disaster - 0.5% is not a disaster
  • Options

Absolutely. Remain is getting stronger by the day, and what incentive would there be for the reluctant to back a Brexit option to resolve it when remain would be on the table?

A long delay means the continuity remainers know they have won (or at least can get a referendum and a chance to win) since it will be proof that Leavers, even with the threat of remain, simply will not agree something. And if preventing a delay leading to possible remain does not create a majority for a leave option, I don't see why the emergence of that remain option would either. We know some Brexiteers would prefer remain, they have said as much.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

I believe pigs are unusually rather than massively endowed; the end of their penis is corkscrew shaped and locks into place during the act.

I had a friend who trained as a pig farmer before deciding he was better suited to the antiques trade, just in case anyone thinks I have an excessive interest in the subject.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Foxy said:

I reckon plan B is a 21 month extension. So much the same as the WA in practice, just inside the EU rather than inside.

It's my preferred, and there's definitely a logic to it from both UK and EU perspective. Not sure it's legally manageable though.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    Floater said:

Many years ago, in a PJ O'Rourke book the title of which I forget, he pointed out that most US people would be happy with a cut in living standards provide that Japan (the bete-noir of the day) suffered more. He also pointed out that this was stupid.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Evening all. I've been away for a few days so maybe I've missed something, but am I right that Nothing Has Changed? Brexit still in utter chaos, MPs still chasing unicorns, Labour still consumed by antisemitism, Trump still batting off revelations which would have killed off anyone else's political career.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

you said disaster - 0.5% is not a disaster
    You Leavers promised sunlit uplands, the voters losing jobs will be pissed off, it'll be a disaster for those who get buggered by Brexit.

Christ you're like a Corbynite, because no matter how bad it is, it's great ideology.

Plus I thought the Leaver consensus is that we're sicked and tired of experts.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Evening all. I've been away for a few days so maybe I've missed something, but am I right that Nothing Has Changed? Brexit still in utter chaos, MPs still chasing unicorns, Labour still consumed by antisemitism, Trump still batting off revelations which would have killed off anyone else's political career.

You could be away for a few months and Nothing Would Change. It's like Groundhog Day round here, but with real hogs.
  • Options

Pretty much.

Tony Blair isn't leaving Labour as well.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

I believe pigs are unusually rather than massively endowed; the end of their penis is corkscrew shaped and locks into place during the act.

I had a friend who trained as a pig farmer before deciding he was better suited to the antiques trade, just in case anyone thinks I have an excessive interest in the subject.
    That sounds very painful.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Of course we could 'exist' but it's hardly the sunlit uplands we were promised.

Alternatively we could stay in the EU and continue to thrive.
    We have had bad times while in the EU too you know, it is not a guarantee of eternal thriving.

However, when even ardent no deal Brexiteers are saying to reject the deal option even if it means remain, well, one can hardly blame remainers for saying the same thing. They're right. I wouldn't trust this government, this parliament, to organise a deal for the post transition. It won't be pleasant for us or the EU to remain, so much bitterness, but at least there'd be the status quo.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Situation normal
  • Options

Floater said:

I am sure this little graph helps:

https://twitter.com/carmen_mayes/status/1102986818209890304?s=19
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited March 2019

Plus I thought the Leaver consensus is that we're sicked and tired of experts.

Gove was misquoted.

We are sick and tired of EXPORTS.
  • Options

You could be away for a few months and Nothing Would Change. It's like Groundhog Day round here, but with real hogs.
    It's worse than Groundhog Day - Bill Murray at least learned things during the course of his time loop.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Perhaps it would have been more tactful to show him being assaulted by a bear.
    But that wouldn't really have harmonised with the general thrust of the Tory campaign against Sadiq Khan, which was essentially based on attacking him because he was a Muslim, would it?

But that was fine, because racism is terrible, except when directed against Muslims. They're fair game because ... well, I wonder why.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

How are we going to remain after all the bad faith on both sides? They don't like our politicians, we don't like their politicians.
    We don't like our politicians.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

So you're saying bad things will stop completely on Brexit day? Well that's a relief.
  • Options

Its Groundhog Day!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

So you're saying bad things will stop completely on Brexit day? Well that's a relief.
    No, it increases exponentially after Brexit day.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

We've already had some outrage tonight because Michael Howard was depicted trying to hypnotise people by swinging a pocket watch, just like Shylock does in the Merchant of Venice.

I'm sure you were deeply offended by all the Cameron pig-f*cker jokes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

No, it increases exponentially after Brexit day.
    Dr Foxy's graph suggests otherwise.
  • Options

I don't know, Man U have been transformed since May agreed her deal with the EU.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Only because at that point the zombie apocalypse disrupts the plotting of graphs...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I reckon plan B is a 21 month extension. So much the same as the WA in practice, just inside the EU rather than inside. We could leave straight to an FTA, except our negotiators have both the energy and competence of a dead snail.

I can't be easy when we hold all the cards.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

I'm sure you were deeply offended by all the Cameron pig-f*cker jokes.
    Oh right. You think it wasn't Islamophobic because depicting a Muslim being buggered by a pig was a purely random choice of animal. It might just as well have been an octopus or an okapi?

• Options
    I know we joke about the 'nothing has changed' stuff, but it seriously cannot be normal that literally the same story that ran back in December about there being another meaningful vote being run depending on how big the defeat is, with hopes of it being around by around 100, is being circulated again with the dates changed and a 3 after MV instead of a 2?

I mean, that is bonkers. I know May has no other plan to get something agreed other than playing for time, but for heaven's sake MPs, you are going to be very clear how much you do not want to pass this deal, it cannot be beyond even your wit to realise it is time to pass something else to break the impasse?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Brexit day never arrives.
  • Options

I don't know, Man U have been transformed since May agreed her deal with the EU.
    See my earlier post of Hodges's tweet!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Foxy said:

Except we can't negotiate an FTA while a member of the EU.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

This clip with would be pig farmer Willie Rennie doesn't confirm much, other than politicians should avoid working with animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSQ47iNJ3U
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Except we can't negotiate an FTA while a member of the EU.
    Don't forget, WE HOLD ALL THE CARDS.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Brexit day never arrives.
    Indeed. I'm surprised no MP has floated my plan which is for everyone to just pretend we've left the EU even while we revoke A50.
  • Options
    Telegraph:

"Miracle in Paris".

"Brussels collapse"

This discussion has been closed.