Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we on the point of breakthrough?

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Juncker has called it legally-binding.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Scott_P said:
    'Not enough yet'?! What is he on about, he thinks they can get more by tomorrow?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

On other matters, Dan Hodges really is a fool
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1105226399089152007

Testify. I’ve seen it four times.
    I thought it was great. My favourite Marvel film...
    CoughcoughWinterSoldiercoughcough

Ragnarok is my 2nd favourite. :wink:
    THOR: You're late
    LOKI: You're missing an eye
    VALKYRIE: This isn't over...

Given that we are all celebrating May's EU thing but Jacob Rees Hela is still advancing towards us, I thought it might be a good time to remind ourselves of that dialogue...
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Finally something helpful. I'll choose to be relatively hopeful for a few minutes on this, but I guess it'll come down to Cox to give it even a chance.
    Awb683 said:

Hold firm ERG and vote this awful deal down.

Better hope for Labour too - if enough ERGers do not hold firm you need them to do so.
  • Options
    Sweeney74Sweeney74 Posts: 46
    Junker seems to think it’s legally binding
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,506

FF43 said:

Keir Starmer has been quite extraordinarily, disgracefully cynical on this. He's done an ERG: trashing the revised agreement without knowing what it is. He didn't even make a token attempt to sound reasonable. I used to have some respect for him, but not any more.

Since neither he nor the government minister commending it has seen the "agreement" (not that it matters, see my note below), what do you expect him to say? "Gosh! You've nailed it! Well done guys."
    I expect him to say 'we look forward to seeing the details, and then we will give our view'. How difficult is that for a lawyer? Or indeed for an reasonable person. Hell, even the DUP have managed that.
    It seems Liddington has not seen it yet either, so currently we have the blind debating the blind.

I reckon that we really know Nothing has Changed!

Indeed one of the problems of the backstop, from Dec 2017 on has been that what the Backstop means has been interpreted differently by each side all along.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    Ken Clarke on Newsnight is quite splendid.

JRM.... isn’t.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

Also said no changes to WA
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Junckers seems quite upset to be fair

“Tired and emotional”?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Juncker seems a bit less Soubry than usual. Definitely conciliatory too.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Ken Clarke pure class on newsnight.
    I suspect this is all a waste of time and this deal isn't going through, but I've given up on trying to work this out.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

FF43 said:

Keir Starmer has been quite extraordinarily, disgracefully cynical on this. He's done an ERG: trashing the revised agreement without knowing what it is. He didn't even make a token attempt to sound reasonable. I used to have some respect for him, but not any more.

Since neither he nor the government minister commending it has seen the "agreement" (not that it matters, see my note below), what do you expect him to say? "Gosh! You've nailed it! Well done guys."
    I expect him to say 'we look forward to seeing the details, and then we will give our view'. How difficult is that for a lawyer? Or indeed for an reasonable person. Hell, even the DUP have managed that.
    Seriously, I would expect him to say, why are you insulting our intelligence by making a statement on an agreement that either doesn't exist or you don't think we deserve to see.

Did he say that?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

If you were thinking that A50 requires the leaving MS to negotiate with the Council, and were wondering why Tusk isn't doing this presser rather than Juncker, the latter just said "I have just [told Tusk the EUCO will approve it] and he [rolled over and said okay]".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Seems May has managed to get some new temporary legal assurances on the backstop, unlikely to be enough to win the vote but could be enough to narrow the margin of defeat enabling passage on a third vote

What will be the rabbit out of the hat to change things on the third vote?
    The threat of BINO or No Brexit at all
    It's worked so well this far.
    If the House rejects the Deal tomorrow it will almost certainly also reject No Deal and vote for extension of Article 50, hence the threat becomes real
    They can't reject no deal. It's the law. They can't force the government to drop it as you need primary legislation to do that, plus the Queen's consent which only Ministers can give. If the deal dies we will either have to revoke or leave on 29th with no deal. That's it.
  • Options
    Sweeney74 said:

What's it though?

Meaningful legal assurances in complementary instrument outside of WA which is unaltered.
  • Options
    Junckers has delivered the best speech I have ever heard from him with a direct appeal to the HOC to pass the deal in everyone's interests
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Fuck me...did JRM just reference Larry Grayson's "Shut that Door".....the man is human after all...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Seriously, I would expect him to say, why are you insulting our intelligence by making a statement on an agreement that either doesn't exist or you don't think we deserve to see.

Did he say that?
    Bit hard to take that line when Labour have been pestering for a statement all day.
  • Options

Junckers has delivered the best speech I have ever heard from him with a direct appeal to the HOC to pass the deal in everyone's interests

ERG: The EU like it, therefore it is terrible.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Did he say that?
    Bit hard to take that line when Labour have been pestering for a statement all day.
    Not really.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Only if he’s wrong.

Not at all. A person of integrity - let alone a lawyer - doesn't trash a proposed deal without reading it. He's a disgrace.
    Many MP's form opinions about things without troubling to read them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    GE by end of the week?
  • Options
    Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Smoke n mirrors BREXIT.

Goodnight
  • Options
    PM on Europarl presser now: We'll make a unilateral declaration that if we think backstop is a turd we'll bin it (my paraphrasing, obvs)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Only if he’s wrong.

Not at all. A person of integrity - let alone a lawyer - doesn't trash a proposed deal without reading it. He's a disgrace.
    Many MP's form opinions about things without troubling to read them.
    Unfortunately so. I had higher expectations of Starmer, but clearly I was naive.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Drutt said:

PM on Europarl presser now: We'll make a unilateral declaration that if we think backstop is a turd we'll bin it (my paraphrasing, obvs)

:D
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That sentence is pleading to be read in a Bond villain accent... :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

GE by end of the week?

Solving what? Brexit Day is less than a month away for goodness sake, Parliament has to come to a decision before then
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Good, they should do that. It's not in their interests to let us keep dragging things out.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    In substance, nothing has changed. The question now is how many MPs want to pretend that is not the case. I think it will be enough.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Drutt said:

That was the first draft, written by Olly Robbins on a beer-mat, wasn't it?
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

Agreed - it's all about how many needed a face-saving way out and how many are hard-core no-dealers.
    ERG high command will listen to DUP first, probably about lunchtime tomorrow. DUP and Mogg will vote for May’s deal tomorrow, probably Davis and IDS and Rabb too if he’s any ambition. Small band of ERG hardcore and smaller band of Tory remainers will join corbyn and Starmer in the lobby, that’s less Tory’s in lobby with labour than labour rebels in lobby with May. Another sizeable group of Tory’s and Labour, including Boris will abstain. Boris will pick up theatre tickets from last minute.com

May wins tomorrow by at least 40.

We might not need a couple of weeks extension at end of this month at least fourteen million Britain’s are going to party to mark our leaving of the EU.

This is how it is now because of Dublin’s climbdown today.
  • Options
    Has a single word changed No siree

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,506

His statement is interestingly ambiguous:

https://twitter.com/JunckerEU/status/1105238043106181120?s=19
  • Options
    Junckers - No new negotiations, this is it
  • Options
    kle4 said:

May has been hinging her hopes on that group as being very big for months. Now we'll see if those hopes were fruitless at least. Same with the occasionally rumoured 'dozens' of Labour votes which are needed even if 50+ Tories change their minds.

It's something (or at least presented as something). That at least means people have to reconfirm their positions in light of purportedly new info, which is progress in one sense at least
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Seems May has managed to get some new temporary legal assurances on the backstop, unlikely to be enough to win the vote but could be enough to narrow the margin of defeat enabling passage on a third vote

If the House rejects the Deal tomorrow it will almost certainly also reject No Deal and vote for extension of Article 50, hence the threat becomes real
    It should already be real to them. When I'm standing in the path of an oncoming train it is still real when it is 500m away, not just 50m away. They know no Brexit or BINO could happen if they vote down the deal, they always have
    Not yet, they still think No Deal is default, that will change over the next few days as No Brexit or BINO overtakes No Deal as the likely alternative to the Deal
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    May's voice has gone. Let's hope the Commission's set is glued together properly.
  • Options

Has a single word changed No siree

There are new words added on, so yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GE by end of the week?

Solving what? Brexit Day is less than a month away for goodness sake, Parliament has to come to a decision before then
    At 11pm it will be seventeen days to Brexit...

http://daystobrexit.co.uk/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337

Sweeney74 said:

What's it though?

Meaningful legal assurances in complementary instrument outside of WA which is unaltered.
    Perhaps the point is that if both parties agree publiclly on an interpretation of the WA before finally inking the deal, then it might be quite hard to challenge that interpretation subsequently ?

• Options
    I can't help feeling that starting out an agreement with one party claiming it can unilaterally renege on it isn't the most wholesome basis for a friendly future relationship, but needs must, I suppose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Good, they should do that. It's not in their interests to let us keep dragging things out.
    And, not in our interests, either.
  • Options
    You now have seventeen days to reach minimum safe distance...
  • Options

Ends labour's position
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They can't reject no deal. It's the law. They can't force the government to drop it as you need primary legislation to do that, plus the Queen's consent which only Ministers can give. If the deal dies we will either have to revoke or leave on 29th with no deal. That's it.
    Of course they can, the government is giving Parliament the chance to overwhelmingly vote against No Deal tomorrow which it will take. Parliament will vote for extension and EUref2 or Norway Plus over No Deal, the No Deal vote will just confirm that, if the Deal is rejected then Brexit likely dies
  • Options

May's voice has gone. Let's hope the Commission's set is glued together properly.

She is a fooking liability.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    dots said:

Agreed - it's all about how many needed a face-saving way out and how many are hard-core no-dealers.
    ERG high command will listen to DUP first, probably about lunchtime tomorrow. DUP and Mogg will vote for May’s deal tomorrow, probably Davis and IDS and Rabb too if he’s any ambition. Small band of ERG hardcore and smaller band of Tory remainers will join corbyn and Starmer in the lobby, that’s less Tory’s in lobby with labour than labour rebels in lobby with May. Another sizeable group of Tory’s and Labour, including Boris will abstain. Boris will pick up theatre tickets from last minute.com

We might not need a couple of weeks extension at end of this month at least fourteen million Britain’s are going to party to mark our leaving of the EU.

Fourteen million? What happened to the other 3.4 million Leave voters?
  • Options
    If this is as serious as it seems then I will back the deal. An unending permanent backstop was my key objection, if this has been dealt with then job done. Time to ratify this deal and move on to the transition and negotiating our final trade deal.
  • Options

dots said:

Fourteen million? What happened to the other 3.4 million Leave voters?
    Who knows, they are evil, shifty devils those Leave voters.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    dots said:

What climbdown? Seriously, what am I missing?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour mayor and former MP Tony Lloyd says on Newsnight the deal is a bad deal, despite being pro-EU in the referendum.
  • Options
    Well, on Betfair the implied probability of the deal passing by 29 March has rocketed from under 20% to about 35%.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour mayor and former MP Tony Lloyd says on Newsnight the deal is a bad deal, despite being pro-EU in the referendum.

Of course it's a bad deal if you're pro-EU. It takes us out of the EU.
  • Options

Ends labour's position
    Labour's position ended months ago. It's just an excuse to trash the possibility of a good outcome, and always has been. If it wasn't, they'd have voted for the deal because nothing in it would prevent a future Labour government going for a closer relationship or customs union.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, on Betfair the implied probability of the deal passing by 29 March has rocketed from under 20% to about 35%.

Seems like it is still value.
  • Options

I guess there is a glimmer of hope in the fact that Sammy Wilson hasn't been shooting his mouth off about this.
  • Options

If this is as serious as it seems then I will back the deal. An unending permanent backstop was my key objection, if this has been dealt with then job done. Time to ratify this deal and move on to the transition and negotiating our final trade deal.

The key will be Cox's advice and the DUP
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    dots said:

All this stuff about the sanctity of our one precious union has evaporated surprisingly quickly if there are now 14m different Britains. Still, Scotland will be happy.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Giving the game away that there's no intention to find a good deal to leave the EU as the referendum decided.
  • Options
    dots said:

or...

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1105240977760026627
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Suspect DUP will vote for this. And perhaps 50 Labour abstentions, too.
  • Options

dots said:

or...

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1105240977760026627
    If she thinks that it will still lose, then this really is over for her. She got (or claims to have gotten) something, and she has no more room to ask for time to get something else.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited March 2019

I can't help feeling that starting out an agreement with one party claiming it can unilaterally renege on it isn't the most wholesome basis for a friendly future relationship, but needs must, I suppose.

The European Parliament hasn't passed this yet, has it? Have to hope they don't take the same view...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Suspect DUP will vote for this. And perhaps 50 Labour abstentions, too.

Dream on.
  • Options
    dots said:

This is how it is now because of Dublin’sit might squeak through climbdown today.
    If you're overs on 40 I'm unders. Betfair still says 2nd meaningful vote passing is at 9/2 or thereabouts
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    I'm not sure what more the EU can give quite frankly; or what May can get. The key is what Foster & Dodds make of the deal. If they approve it, the DUP will go for it. That brings along all but the ultra-die hards of the ERG.
    A few Labour sprinkles, a Stephen Lloyd and bumph it is through.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

AndyJS said:

Giving the game away that there's no intention to find a good deal to leave the EU as the referendum decided.
    No. A good deal for a remainer is single market and customs union. This still honours the referendum.
  • Options

Indeed. If Cox and the DUP back it that is good enough for me.

The EU seemed genuinely taken aback after talking to Cox last week and now finally there's progress. Pisses me off that someone like Cox wasn't used sooner rather than Robbins etc
  • Options
    Jean-Claude Juncker as Martin Luther is an odd turn: Here I stand. I can do no other.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    While not an indicator that they will back it, it is at least something that so far the DUP, all of them, are holding fire on their comments. Maybe they'll say it is an insulting fig leaf, maybe that is is something but not enough, but at least so far they seem willing to sleep on it.
  • Options

Yup. Steve Baker takes the award for premature head bang prize... Surely one of the favourites to have done so
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting. They failed to make the obvious point that, under the Treaties, the WA cannot bind us permanently, since the EU has repeatedly said that the long-term relationship can only be negotiated once we've left.

Still, as fudges go this isn't a bad one. Just as Northern Cyprus is simultaneously part of the EU and not part of the EU, in this new interpretation it would both be possible for the UK to exit the backstop and impossible to do so.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How would another £5billion sound Nigel?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    The truth is, May doesn’t know if this will work. Perhaps she thinks she will not.
    I expect her to win tomorrow, but - even if the DUP are on board - It will be mighty close.

The idea of significant Labour abstentions is for the birds.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I think there is a 50% chance.

All down to what DUP do.
  • Options

I imagine your view will be shared by MP's like Grant Shapps, Hugo Swire, Michael Fallon, Johnny Mercer, Sir Graham Brady, Stephen McParland, but I wonder will hold out to the bitter end.
  • Options

Yup. Steve Baker takes the award for premature head bang prize... Surely one of the favourites to have done so
    Someone wrote the other day that for some in the ERG (presumably Baker being a key one), May could come back with a cure for cancer, and they would still say no.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited March 2019

The truth is, May doesn’t know if this will work. Perhaps she thinks she will not.
    I expect her to win tomorrow, but - even if the DUP are on board - It will be mighty close.

The idea of significant Labour abstentions is for the birds.

It’s a gamble, for sure. But it might just work.

All contentious votes are close - Maastricht only just passed.

I’ve topped up on leaving by March 29th tonight.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And does he now commit fully to a referendum given there will be no more negotiations?
  • Options
    Unilateral declaration described in the motion as:
    the unilateral declaration by the UK titled ‘Declaration by Her Majesty’s Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland concerning the Northern Ireland Protocol’, setting out the sovereign action the UK would take to provide assurance that the backstop would only be applied temporarily;
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Jean-Claude Juncker as Martin Luther is an odd turn: Here I stand. I can do no other.

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope" -Luther, M, not actually talking about the WA.
  • Options

Chris said:

Seems like it is still value.
    I got 6-1 earlier..... Need the dup to bring home the bacon...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited March 2019

Indeed. If Cox and the DUP back it that is good enough for me.

The EU seemed genuinely taken aback after talking to Cox last week and now finally there's progress. Pisses me off that someone like Cox wasn't used sooner rather than Robbins etc
    This is just a face-saving fudge. There was clearly always the possibility of abrogating on the basis of the other party not acting in good faith. Today's announcement and the unilateral declaration make it no easier to take that step, should the government of the day ever feel the need to.

Still, I appreciate that quite a few Leaver opponents of the WA are desperately looking for a way to climbdown, and this, it appears, provides it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    And does he now commit fully to a referendum given there will be no more negotiations?
    On the basis of not having read anything - typical Corbyn
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

dots said:

All this stuff about the sanctity of our one precious union has evaporated surprisingly quickly if there are now 14m different Britains. Still, Scotland will be happy.
    If 2016 is re run tomorrow leave will get at least fourteen million votes is what i’m Saying. What are you saying.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    There's no fucking change. How can anyone possibly change their mind based on this.

There has been no change since December 2018!

What is this ludicrous dance we have embraced.

Nothing. Changes.
  • Options
    Why would they not? The remain ultras are no different to the leaver ultras.
This discussion has been closed.