Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now all eyes are on the DUP – if they’re happy then a deal mor

124»

Comments

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

On other news. Australia joins Singapore in banning all 737 - 8 flights into their airspace and more countries to follow. There are 400 in service but for Boeing 5,000 on order

Big problem for Boeing

Getting concerned now. My wife and children are due to fly later this month (I cant go due to work obligations). I think it might be a 737 - 8 they're due to fly on.
    They could be banned worldwide by then
    That is what I'm getting concerned about. I think they're safe personally (though not an expert) and they're travelling on a first world airline but if its grounded then what happens to her flight? She is travelling to see her parents who live overseas and has been looking forward to this trip for months if not years.
    To be fair, I gather the professional reputation of Ethiopian Airlines is very good. Lion of Indonesia less so, of course.
    Lion was the first Indonesian airline to be allowed to fly into European airspace following the ban on all Indonesian airlines. Garuda followed some time later.

As to capacity, there are enough WB and NBs available for wetlease outside peak capacity periods. If necessary, aircraft can be brought out of Marana. Boeing will face a hell of a bill though, regardless of contract.

One might argue that the Chinese ban is convenient given that they are trying to sell the C919.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Jonathan said:

So PBers. If you were in the HoC tonight, would you vote for or against the deal?

For. And I've been against previously.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So PBers. If you were in the HoC tonight, would you vote for or against the deal?

Against, I simply couldn’t put my name to it.

In all probability it makes us worse off, reduces political independence compared to EU membership and has been forced upon us through the worst political tactics.

If she wants this, she can carry it in her name.
    But if it fails you are clearly risking No Deal: which will then be in your name (in this game of “pretend PBers are MPs”). You’re OK with that?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,210
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

On balance, and just about: For. And I would have been Against previously.

My mind hasn’t been changed by TMay’s addition of lipstick, on the pig, but by Richard Nabavi explaining to me that the pig isn’t all that bad, and besides, pig is all we’re going to get, and if we don’t accept the pig, we might get nothing and the country would possibly descend into rapine and despair.

So I am modestly in favour. Though no thanks to TMay who couldn’t sell a Christmas amnesty to turkeys.
    Could I have some vegetarian pig-substitute, please? :lol:

And in answer to Jonathan, I guess I would vote for the deal.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    matt said:

On other news. Australia joins Singapore in banning all 737 - 8 flights into their airspace and more countries to follow. There are 400 in service but for Boeing 5,000 on order

Big problem for Boeing

Getting concerned now. My wife and children are due to fly later this month (I cant go due to work obligations). I think it might be a 737 - 8 they're due to fly on.
    They could be banned worldwide by then
    That is what I'm getting concerned about. I think they're safe personally (though not an expert) and they're travelling on a first world airline but if its grounded then what happens to her flight? She is travelling to see her parents who live overseas and has been looking forward to this trip for months if not years.
    To be fair, I gather the professional reputation of Ethiopian Airlines is very good. Lion of Indonesia less so, of course.
    Lion was the first Indonesian airline to be allowed to fly into European airspace following the ban on all Indonesian airlines. Garuda followed some time later.

As to capacity, there are enough WB and NBs available for wetlease outside peak capacity periods. If necessary, aircraft can be brought out of Marana. Boeing will face a hell of a bill though, regardless of contract.

One might argue that the Chinese ban is convenient given that they are trying to sell the C919.
    Thanks for that about Lion. Just about every time I've seen a report about their crash there's been some pejorative or critical comment about their safety record. Wonder if something's happened lately, or whether there's some 'under the radar' campaign going on.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    I would vote for the deal but then I would have voted for it before.

I don't see the changes being that material in the real world. I don't think that the EU will want to hold us within the backstop without even a promise to chip into the pot indefinitely. It is not the way that they do business. I don't think we can be held to the backstop if we choose not to be although I do accept that there are consequences for unilateral withdrawal.

The real game here is what at least the first version of our actual deal with the EU will look like. If we are trapped into the backstop short of walking away we are pretty much committed to a very soft Brexit indeed, probably involving continued membership of the CU. If we have a credible means of withdrawing from the backstop then the parameters of that discussion are wider. Whether we choose to take advantage of those wider parameters will of course be up to us and the EU in negotiations. We will start with a slightly more level playing field and the ERG should recognise that, even if the slope still inevitably favours the bigger player.

The absolute priority for our political class today and every day for the last 6 months should be to end the uncertainty and risk of a cliff edge departure which we have not prepared for. The deal does that, or at least buys a period of time in transition to sort things out. Given where we are MPs will be in serious dereliction of their duties if they don't vote this through.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

UKIP home keeps its customers/audience happy.... and wants a bit more can kicking...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1105397678299643905

ContinuityIDS..... As they were fondly known here in the old days....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Are the odds of the vote passing better than a <5 or 6> on the roll of a die?

Incredible if so, given MV1.
  • Options
    As I said, it's like giving them a bone ....

I thought the outrage last week was how long it was taking to have MV2?
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

As I said, it's like giving them a bone ....

I thought the outrage last week was how long it was taking to have MV2?
    There's always outrage.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    BREAKING: DUP likely to vote against
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Any sightings of Pickfords vans near Admiralty Arch? Asking for a friend.
This discussion has been closed.