Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so MPs move on to vote against leaving the EU with no deal

Comments

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    _Anazina_ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Moonbeam,

"Beeb have got the Weatherspoons bloke on. Everyone he has spoken to (i.e. daytime drinkers) wants No Deal, doncha know?"

You can't beat Wetherspoons for a cheap meal and a pint. A man with an eye for business and his finger on the pulse.

Martin is an odious individual and his pubs are absolute holes.
    Which pub would you recommend?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited March 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ayes 321 Noes 278

Government defeated, Parliament takes control

Er, no. The government has been defeated, parliament has yet to make a positive decision about something so has not taken control.
    It has made clear in effect EUref2 or BINO will win over No Deal
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,394
    Danny565 said:

God, she is so awful.

Parliament can put a stop to this anytime it likes.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    edited March 2019
    An extension tomorrow surely nailed on. BFE no deal on 29 March exit still available at 1.13 against - free money guys.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    MV3 here we go lads....
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Floater said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/13/brussels-will-tell-theresa-may-ask-long-brexit-extension/

This completely contradicts what the EU were saying publicly yesterday.

"Brussels will grant an extension to allow time for a general election or a second referendum. It would consider a short extension to give more time to prepare for no deal but is likely to reject a British request for a brief extension to try and get the Brexit deal ratified"

OH SHIT!!!!

Doesn't that just mean it must be ratified before the end date, ie if you are to MV3, it has to be this week?
    No. It means that if Parliament has not agreed on anything by the 29th and May asks for a short extension before the 29th, they will allow a short extension to prepare for no deal. This means we will leave with no deal in around May/June, which is the event I'm not covered for.
    But it doesn't mean they won't give us a technical extension if parliament does agree something by the 29th, which was question?

• TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    These two Thurber parables strike me as relevant:

http://www.fiftytwostories.com/?p=1295
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr HYFUD,

"Ayes 321 Noes 278 Government defeated, Parliament takes control "

Isn't it … Ayes 321 Noes 278 UK voters defeated, Parliament takes control "?

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

How the hell can May carry on? She is finished.

Easily, unless she's voted out.

It all still looks like displacement activity to me.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Vote Farage in the EU elections - chuckle..
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Total meltdown LAB and SNP unfit for opposition
    Farage apparently saying the WA is not just worse, but 'far worse' than being members of the EU. He just loves being in the EU doesn't he?
    Looks like tomorrow's motion will be just as dodgily worded as today's.

As this forces the ERG to face the choice between her Deal or no Brexit at all or Single Market and Customs Union BINO
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

GIN1138 said:

JRM is rattled.

Unfortunately JRM and the rest of the DUP/ERG have become drunk on their own publicity and have probably blown Brexit forever.
    JRM has turned out to be a real dickhead.
    He is an even bigger cock than the one the biology teacher was displaying earlier.

FOR THE SAKE OF CLARITY, the cock in question was a Rhode Island Red.
    kle4 said:

Farage apparently saying the WA is not just worse, but 'far worse' than being members of the EU. He just loves being in the EU doesn't he?

He's looking forward the EU elections and more time on the gravy train being rude to the French et al.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    CD13 said:

Mr HYFUD,

Why does Government defeated = UK voters defeated? The Government wasn't elected with 51% of all votes...
    IanB2 said:

An extension tomorrow surely nailed on. BFE no deal on 29 March exit still available at 1.13 against - free money guys.

Question is how long an extension? The longer it is, the more it will be remain in the end.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

at least 4 cabinet ministers abstained, including Rudd, Mundell, Gauke...

Are they going to be sacked?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    May, she is an utter disaster.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    kle4 said:

It is his source of income and publicity.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Could have been said any time since 10pm 8 June 2017
    David Lammy's campaign against gammons will end in failure, I predict.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

Floater said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/13/brussels-will-tell-theresa-may-ask-long-brexit-extension/

This completely contradicts what the EU were saying publicly yesterday.

"Brussels will grant an extension to allow time for a general election or a second referendum. It would consider a short extension to give more time to prepare for no deal but is likely to reject a British request for a brief extension to try and get the Brexit deal ratified"

OH SHIT!!!!!

That's pretty much what they've been saying all along.
    No, it isn't. "They" (the EU) have only been saying "that" (a short extension with no deal agreed) since about February, just after I placed my bet to cover leave-with-no-deal (see posts passim). I'm covered in the event of Remain, Leave-on-time-with-no-deal, but not in the event of delayed-Leave-with-no-deal. I might have to write this up into an article if @TSE will let me, to save repetition.
    CD13 said:

Mr HYFUD,

Well a Remainer majority Parliament trying to implement a Brexit vote always would be difficult
    Question - why talk of 'resignations'? People who did defy the whip got what they wanted, so no need to resign, they would face the sack surely?
    AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Moonbeam,

"Beeb have got the Weatherspoons bloke on. Everyone he has spoken to (i.e. daytime drinkers) wants No Deal, doncha know?"

You can't beat Wetherspoons for a cheap meal and a pint. A man with an eye for business and his finger on the pulse.

I took my parents to the Rose Tree in Durham on Saturday for dinner and it was far better than I expected.
    AndyJS said:

David Lammy's campaign against gammons will end in failure, I predict.

If you don't mind me chipping in, I think he's over-egged it.
    Remarkable that May started the day on the winning side but has managed to manoeuvre herself toward yet another defeat.
    edited March 2019
    Ian Blackford from the SNP pleased for once Parliament has ruled out No Deal calls for EUref2 or revoking Article 50
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Corbyn is sounding very reasonable here.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Ave_it said:

Total meltdown LAB and SNP unfit for opposition

Ha Ha Ha , inept Tories trying to say "look a squirrel", keep crying in your beer, oblivion beckons.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,919
    kle4 said:

MEP salary!
    Cut off for Blackford lol
    I posted twice with no memory of the first post. Apologies for the fuckuppery, but at least I'm not a MP... :)
    17 Tories voting against the government..

Could have been said any time since 10pm 8 June 2017
    True but equally since 10pm 8 June 2017 no one else wants the blame...
    IanB2 said:

Remarkable that May started the day on the winning side but has managed to manoeuvre herself toward yet another defeat.

MICIPM
    Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

Sarah Newton has resigned from the Cabinet BBC News reports.
  • kle4 said:

MEP salary!
    Farage will be loving this, it gives him a reason to get up in the morning. His Brexit party could do well. Say what you like about him, and there is a lot to say, but that boy knows his audience.
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

JRM is rattled.

Unfortunately JRM and the rest of the DUP/ERG have become drunk on their own publicity and have probably blown Brexit forever.
    JRM has turned out to be a real dickhead.
    He is an even bigger cock than the one the biology teacher was displaying earlier.

FOR THE SAKE OF CLARITY, the cock in question was a Rhode Island Red...
    ...and it was tattooed on his penis.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    There's not going to be a majority for any of the options.

Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

Who ?

Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

Who? Didn't know she existed/was in the Cabinet.
  • Adam Boulton. Only option for ERG is to back TM deal
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

With a little help from Mr Bercow to ensure Spelman was voted on (though in fairness that seems totally correct). With that one so close interesting to know how close May came to winning this one, and not facing sackings.
    GIN1138 said:

at least 4 cabinet ministers abstained, including Rudd, Mundell, Gauke...

Are they going to be sacked?
    I recall a lot of derision when, IIRC, Corbyn did not sack some frontbenchers who did not vote for a policy of his.

Adam Boulton. Only option for ERG is to back TM deal

Not at all, they can continue to be stubborn fool/ defiant heroes.

kle4 said:

He's looking forward the EU elections and more time on the gravy train being rude to the French et al.
    Farage will get his seat in the Commons at the next election as Con vote collapses across the country.

kle4 said:

MEP salary!
    Farage will be loving this, it gives him a reason to get up in the morning. His Brexit party could do well. Say what you like about him, and there is a lot to say, but that boy knows his audience.
    40+%
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Moonbeam,

I took my parents to the Rose Tree in Durham on Saturday for dinner and it was far better than I expected.
    Do you ever try The Avenue in High Shincliffe? I had a great break there a few years ago. The food was excellent and not expensive. Indeed, on the final bill they forgot some of the things i'd had which would have made it even cheaper if I hadn't pointed it out!
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,569
    edited March 2019
    This is starting to remind me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Cleavon Little takes himself hostage.

Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

Must be a junior minister. Wiki's already put an end date for her post.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

IanB2 said:

MICIPM
    TICIPM
    4 ministerial abstentions on Spelman and Gov't lost by 4 !!!!!

Surely they'll be sacked lol
    Artist said:

There's not going to be a majority for any of the options.

I suspect there is but only by complete accident as an amendment voted by team 1 is voted through by team 2 voting for the actual proposal as amended.

Remember no one wants the blame here and if they get the blame they want to point at least half of it at other people...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ayes 321 Noes 278

Government defeated, Parliament takes control

Er, no. The government has been defeated, parliament has yet to make a positive decision about something so has not taken control.
    *No Deal waves*

"I haven't gone away, you know...."

That horse has not only bolted, the stable door and most of the wall went with him.

They are utter fools.
    Pulpstar said:

4 ministerial abstentions on Spelman and Gov't lost by 4 !!!!!

Surely they'll be sacked lol

Weren't those abstentions on the substantive?
    Penny seems to be dropping for a few of the ERG.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr eek,

If Parliament takes control, it means they will ensure we remain. No more referenda allowed. Not sure the Jocks will approve. Still, they can console themselves with the realisation that were they to vote for independence, Parliament would faff around for a couple of years before telling them it was too difficult.

We've been enmeshed for 300 years not 40 after all. I'm sure they would accept their betters' decision.
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn is sounding very reasonable here.

"Do your kin job"
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    So the removal of a threat of a no deal, strengths the hand of the EU rather than the UK, what a bunch of spaffers.

Keeping Barnier guessing for another week would have been preferable.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    kle4 said:

Here's a list of people who have gone down in my estimation through this process:
    Nigel Farage
    JRM
    People who don't understand the difference between the WA and the end state
    Labour MPs from Leave constituencies
    People who didn't read the section of the WA agreement regarding the Northern Irish border

People who have gone up:
    Stephen Lloyd

I'm guessing the ERG would prefer a real Brexit at a later date rather than a fake one now. That's how I assume a lot of them are thinking, (not my view).

This is starting to remind me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Cleavon Little takes himself hostage.

Only starting?
  • spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    Surely revocation of article 50 is getting more likely. If theres no deal passed and may believes it would be a disaster I can see her revoking then resigning as PM
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    But is it not somewhat crazy that May said she wanted to stop no deal "now", but because the vote was changed to no deal "not ever", May then had to whip the government FOR no deal. That's fairly bonkers
    .@JeremyCorbyn now has more authority than @Theresa_May and is the PM-in-waiting.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    My vote for tories has gone forever . I will vote brexit party. The tories have betrayed the voters
    kle4 said:

Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

Must be a junior minister. Wiki's already put an end date for her post.
    Junior Minister is not Cabinet though surely?

Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

She's not.

Edward Mayes

@eljmayes
    ·
    58s

Sarah Newton was in the cabinet? That's news to me.

.@JeremyCorbyn now has more authority than @Theresa_May and is the PM-in-waiting.

It's a bit early to be drunk, BJO.
    Clarke now calling out the government on its duplicity
    CD13 said:

Mr eek,

If Parliament takes control, it means they will ensure we remain. No more referenda allowed. Not sure the Jocks will approve. Still, they can console themselves with the realisation that were they to vote for independence, Parliament would faff around for a couple of years before telling them it was too difficult.

We've been enmeshed for 300 years not 40 after all. I'm sure they would accept their betters' decision.

You think I believe Parliament is taking control - I don't think they are.

I really don't know if we crash out and if we end up revoking. All I know is that few MPs willingly want to be on the end of the votes that result in the final decision.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    kjohnw said:

My vote for tories has gone forever . I will vote brexit party. The tories have betrayed the voters

Yawn.
  • ydoethur said:

Only starting?
    I'm just a crazy optimist...
    The EU will now have to choose - Brexit or even worse - we stay in for 2 years and cause chaos.

Jess Phillips

Verified account

@jessphillips
    Follow Follow @jessphillips
    More
    I just watched the Prime Minister going in to vote for No Deal. I told her it was a disgrace. I hope she is gone by morning She doesn't deserve her office

He was good this evening.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

But is it not somewhat crazy that May said she wanted to stop no deal "now", but because the vote was changed to no deal "not ever", May then had to whip the government FOR no deal. That's fairly bonkers

It's all about party management. She could just about get away with a free vote on a weak motion, but not on the stronger version of it.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    May fecks up yet again

Problem is Remainers who might have gone for Theresa's deal can now see total victory (remain) within sight, so even if the ERG do come round for vote for her deal there probably still won't be a majority in favour.
    ydoethur said:

That horse has not only bolted, the stable door and most of the wall went with him.

They are utter fools.
    Though the MV2 would still have fell even if every single ERG member had backed it.
    off topic - I know there are big issues at play tonght but....

WTF

https://order-order.com/2019/03/13/lord-steel-admits-cyril-smith-confessed/
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Moonbeam,

I've only been to Durham once, when I got told off by the person in charge of the cathedral for trying to take a photo. I hadn't noticed any signs prohibiting photography.
    Farage going to try and scupper the extension lol
    SNP's Westminster Leader Ian Blackford says: "We are in a constitutional crisis.

"What we see from the prime minister is a denial of the facts... her deal is dead."

Mr Blackford says he is "delighted" that the House has expressed that under no circumstances it wants a no-deal Brex

He's half right. Yes, May's deal is dead and she's in denial about that, but parliament is just as guilty of denying the facts about what they can and cannot do simply by wishing for it. The SNP, at least, have been admirably direct this whole time.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,743

Really?

Tonight's nonsense hasn't changed anything. Tomorrow, I imagine, there will be a substantial vote in favour of seeking an extension to the A50 process but we don't really know a) whether the EU will grant an extension or b) for how long such an extension will be in place.

IF the EU refuses an extension or attaches such conditions as to be unacceptable to May - she has to hold another referendum or revoke for example - than we will be down to MV3 (assuming Bercow accepts it) versus leaving without a Deal and we will see what we will see.

The onus will then be on the opposition MPs to determine whether they want to be part of the coalition taking us to a No Deal exit on 29/3 and all that may or may not flow from that or whether they will support May's Deal and grant her a huge political advantage in terms of the sense of national euphoria and relief which will greet the passing of her Deal (which her supporters would in no way try to exploit for Party political advantage).
    GIN1138 said:

Problem is Remainers who might have gone for Theresa's deal can now see total victory (remain) within sight, so even if the ERG do come round for vote for her deal there probably still won't be a majority in favour.
    There wouldn't have been a majority yesterday if the ERG came around so why should there be in the future?
  • .@JeremyCorbyn now has more authority than @Theresa_May and is the PM-in-waiting.

Good try BJO.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    spire2 said:

Surely revocation of article 50 is getting more likely. If theres no deal passed and may believes it would be a disaster I can see her revoking then resigning as PM

That's one significant end game remainer MPs have been hoping for - block anything and everything, and leave it on her plate.
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Moonbeam,

Do you ever try The Avenue in High Shincliffe? I had a great break there a few years ago. The food was excellent and not expensive. Indeed, on the final bill they forgot some of the things i'd had which would have made it even cheaper if I hadn't pointed it out!
    I suspect the last time I was in High Shincliffe is 20+ years ago while we still owned a Morris Traveller.

We were in Durham as one of the twins was playing in the County Orchestra at Ushaw College and I wanted somewhere to eat that wasn't South Shields (my parent holiday abode) or Darlington (where we live).
  • Floater said:

WTF

I haven't seen that, but if it's true, then Steele should be held to account.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

The anti-semite Corbyn will NEVER have any authority.

Good try BJO.
    Made me laugh anyway
    edited March 2019
    My money is on another weasel worded motion from government tomorrow that members will have to try and amend again.

Edit/Speaker now reading it out.

One off extension to 30th June

Notes that EU likely to require purpose and any longer extension requires the EU elections
    Floater said:

WTF

Blimey. Paedo cover up in the commons
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I'm starting to wonder if JRM wants Brexit.

He's clearly not stupid so to remain so sanguine about these votes in the face such obvious ERG armageddon makes me think he's happy to Remain and be an agitator ever.
    Floater said:

May fecks up yet again

Why is she still PM?

GE2019
    £ up 2 cents against the dollar...happy days.,
This discussion has been closed.