Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Has the ERG won?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

That is not a given - maybe but maybe not

Empirical evidence suggests otherwise. One of the mistakes Leave and the government made was not to explicitly attack and remove the darker forces/motivations from Brexit. Made sure it could never be a positive thing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Which is of course correct. Every course of action from here is disastrous. Pick your preferred disaster and then watch it unfold, with the added piquancy of having to take responsibility for it.
  • Options
    OK, so Parliament wants to block no deal. How specifically is it going to do that?

1. Vote for May's deal. Short of her agreeing to a confirmatory referendum or calling a GE first I cannot see how MV3/4/5 passes. ERG/DUP have the prize in sight, opposition remainers can almost touch PV/Revoke
    2. Get an extension from the EU. On what grounds might they grant one? A. Because the deal was passed (no), B. to remove the back stop issue by making the extension 2 years (would HoC agree that?), C. to allow us to hold an election/referendum - other than that aren't they going to tell us to sod off?
    3. Call an election / referendum. May cannot do these. I suppose that the Commons could vote it through but she won't implement it. And even contempt/no confidence motions would fail as the ERG would cuddle her close
    4. Revoke. Has to be done by government. As with 3 even if the Commons votes to do this I can't see May obeying and she can't be removed with ERG support

Which leaves us leaving on time with no deal. I want to be wrong, so please persuade me of how either the deal gets passed, a consensus is agreed on an alternative which the government will implement etc etc. I'm struggling to see it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    Sandpit said:

This is bound to upset someone:

Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service will this morning announce if any individuals are to be charged in relation to the Bloody Sunday events in Derry in 1972.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2019/0314/1036267-bloody-sunday/

I still don't understand this one I'm afraid, two decades after we let everyone involved in the Troubles out of prison and agreed to leave the past in the past.
    You don't think there's a difference between being tried & convicted for a crime then being given amnesty, and never facing a court while making statements (often anonymously) that you had committed no crime and would take the same actions again?

Presumably you feel suspects for the Omagh bombings should never have faced trial, and should never face any future legal process regardless of new evidence.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

I have an instinctively feeling that another referendum is going to get a big thumbs down by the electorate

The electorate is as divided as Parliament. If it can unite around opposition to a referendum that would be something I suppose.
  • Options
    It is no doubt controversial but I am pleased Hammond, Rudd and others are standing both for TM deal and the economy. They are the grown ups
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

And a reminder that politicians are human too:

Andrew Gwynne MP
    ‏Verified account @GwynneMP
    17h17 hours ago

Before it all hits the fan on social media I want to explain that I won’t be in Parliament tonight to vote. I’m heading to Liverpool as my 7-week old grandson has been transferred from A&E in Manchester to ICU at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. Please keep him in your thoughts x

Poor lad.

Ironically, the political fallout has been for his pair, Michael Freer. It would be nice to see journalists tweet as assiduously about the fact that the whip had been paired as they tweeted that he had not voted.
    Journalists are all part of this disaster - their coverage of brexit has been as bad as the politicians involved in it
    Few real journalists about now G, they have gone same way as politicians, just brown nosers who print exactly what the rotten politicians pass to them , no journalism.
  • Options

It is no doubt controversial but I am pleased Hammond, Rudd and others are standing both for TM deal and the economy. They are the grown ups

The government says May’s deal will damage the economy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    MPs of ALL parties should mull that finding. You are very, very close to making a monumental mistake with democracy....
  • Options

OK, so Parliament wants to block no deal. How specifically is it going to do that?

1. Vote for May's deal. Short of her agreeing to a confirmatory referendum or calling a GE first I cannot see how MV3/4/5 passes. ERG/DUP have the prize in sight, opposition remainers can almost touch PV/Revoke
    2. Get an extension from the EU. On what grounds might they grant one? A. Because the deal was passed (no), B. to remove the back stop issue by making the extension 2 years (would HoC agree that?), C. to allow us to hold an election/referendum - other than that aren't they going to tell us to sod off?
    3. Call an election / referendum. May cannot do these. I suppose that the Commons could vote it through but she won't implement it. And even contempt/no confidence motions would fail as the ERG would cuddle her close
    4. Revoke. Has to be done by government. As with 3 even if the Commons votes to do this I can't see May obeying and she can't be removed with ERG support

Which leaves us leaving on time with no deal. I want to be wrong, so please persuade me of how either the deal gets passed, a consensus is agreed on an alternative which the government will implement etc etc. I'm struggling to see it.

Gina Miller has just said that the EU itself would be acting against EU law if it fails to stop no deal brexit

She attacked labour and the EU in equal measure. Interesting
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    No. There are no outcomes that will attract majority support. A referendum is a process in any event. But look what happened with the outcome of the last two in this country. Made Scotland and then the UK as a whole more, not less, divided.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Andrew Gwynne MP
    17h17 hours ago

Before it all hits the fan on social media I want to explain that I won’t be in Parliament tonight to vote. I’m heading to Liverpool as my 7-week old grandson has been transferred from A&E in Manchester to ICU at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. Please keep him in your thoughts x

Poor lad.

Ironically, the political fallout has been for his pair, Michael Freer. It would be nice to see journalists tweet as assiduously about the fact that the whip had been paired as they tweeted that he had not voted.
    Journalists are all part of this disaster - their coverage of brexit has been as bad as the politicians involved in it
    Few real journalists about now G, they have gone same way as politicians, just brown nosers who print exactly what the rotten politicians pass to them , no journalism.
    Morning Malc - indeed. Trust it is a 'bonnie' day with you
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

Charles said:

Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service will this morning announce if any individuals are to be charged in relation to the Bloody Sunday events in Derry in 1972.

*Londonderry
    It’s an Irish media outlet & I think they’ve always used Derry

It’s as impolite as us using Peking or Bombay.
    I have heard of the second largest city in Northern Ireland referred to ironically as "Slash".
    When used as a hymn tune, O Danny Boy is always described as the “Londonderry Air”.

For some reason, this was thought preferable to simply the “Derry Air”.
    The city is Derry because most people living there call it that. The song is "Londonderry Air" because that's its title. Anyone seen a musical called "Miss Ho Chi Minh City" ?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

No. There are no outcomes that will attract majority support. A referendum is a process in any event. But look what happened with the outcome of the last two in this country. Made Scotland and then the UK as a whole more, not less, divided.
    Certainly showed Scotland how voting the wrong way by believing a bunch of Westminster liars is NOT the way to go. Same turds now cratering the UK.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hold on..
    Does that mean parliament doesn’t want the WA, doesn’t want No Deal, and the chances are that parliament might vote to block extension?

The only two course of action from that are a GE or further referendum?
    Parliament seems to be in three blocks

WA
    No Deal
    Remain

Each block has sufficient votes so that when they combine they defeat the other one, but insufficient votes to win on their own platform.

It's a deadlock holiday.
  • Options
    A useful thread on the various amendments proposed today:

https://twitter.com/Brigid_Fowler/status/1106111448718233600
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I had a lot of time for the LDs previously and particularly Steel. I voted LD at a couple of GEs when they were obviously sheltering a paedo MP. Like all large organisations, they deny and lie to protect their reputations. If Steel knew, he wasn't the only one.

The RC Church was also doing the same and has been deservedly criticised for it. The Labour and Tory party would do exactly the same, and probably have been doing so. Put not your trust in princes.

How about a what-if? Let's suppose a UK government allowed another independence referendum for Scotland and the Nats won 52 - 48.

Would the unionists demand they take account of the large minority against? Would the SNP allow parliament to make the decisions, perhaps softening it to a super-devolution instead? If they didn't, the charge of hypocrisy looms large.

More likely, no UK Parliament would allow another referendum unless they were absolutely certain they'd like the decision.
  • Options
    I know oppositions like to triangulate but I understand Emily Thornberry said a second referendum will be proposed next week but Angela Rayner has ruled out having one.

But there's so many shambles going on in the Commons .. this is a right and proper omni-shambles!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It is the least worse option at present

MPs of ALL parties should mull that finding. You are very, very close to making a monumental mistake with democracy....
    Indeed. Regain your senses mps and vote for TM deal
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hold on..
    Does that mean parliament doesn’t want the WA, doesn’t want No Deal, and the chances are that parliament might vote to block extension?

WA
    No Deal
    Remain

Each block has sufficient votes so that when they combine they defeat the other one, but insufficient votes to win on their own platform.

It's a deadlock holiday.
    I don't like cricket......

No actually, I dont.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    So, that old chestnut, how many Meaningful Votes does it take to pass a Withdrawal Agreement? Answer, who cares so long as it happens in the end.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

*Londonderry
    It’s an Irish media outlet & I think they’ve always used Derry

It’s as impolite as us using Peking or Bombay.
    I have heard of the second largest city in Northern Ireland referred to ironically as "Slash".
    When used as a hymn tune, O Danny Boy is always described as the “Londonderry Air”.

For some reason, this was thought preferable to simply the “Derry Air”.
    The city is Derry because most people living there call it that. The song is "Londonderry Air" because that's its title. Anyone seen a musical called "Miss Ho Chi Minh City" ?
    I think you missed the pun.

Anyway, new thread.
  • Options

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hold on..

WA
    No Deal
    Remain

It's a deadlock holiday.
    They're each liquid not solid. eg Ken Clarke is now proposing that Article 50 be revoked, having voted twice for the Withdrawal Agreement.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jonathan said:

It is the least worse option at present

Indeed. Regain your senses mps and vote for TM deal
    No, hold firm. It’s a bad deal that makes us worse off and give us less control than if we stayed in.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    CD13 said:

I had a lot of time for the LDs previously and particularly Steel. I voted LD at a couple of GEs when they were obviously sheltering a paedo MP. Like all large organisations, they deny and lie to protect their reputations. If Steel knew, he wasn't the only one.

The RC Church was also doing the same and has been deservedly criticised for it. The Labour and Tory party would do exactly the same, and probably have been doing so. Put not your trust in princes.

How about a what-if? Let's suppose a UK government allowed another independence referendum for Scotland and the Nats won 52 - 48.

Would the unionists demand they take account of the large minority against? Would the SNP allow parliament to make the decisions, perhaps softening it to a super-devolution instead? If they didn't, the charge of hypocrisy looms large.

More likely, no UK Parliament would allow another referendum unless they were absolutely certain they'd like the decision.

also, the clear progress and tactic which the UK parliment would take would be exactly the same as the EU could take with article 50. Delay, make it as difficult as possible, and change public opinion for a re-vote.

It'll probably work.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The Truss often seems to be the modern day Jim Hacker.....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    kinabalu said:

So, that old chestnut, how many Meaningful Votes does it take to pass a Withdrawal Agreement? Answer, who cares so long as it happens in the end.

The mistake is in thinking that the Meaningful Vote is something that passes the WA.

It isn't. The EU Withdrawal Act, a full piece of amendable primary legislation running through both Houses and Committees, is what will actually pass the WA - we have all that still to come!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The country has gone mad .

Leavers ringing up radio stations saying MPs wanting to leave with a deal are betraying the public . So people not wanting to harm the country are now public enemy number one . Some MPs being called traitors for supporting Mays deal . It’s astonishing , now an orderly exit isn’t good enough and for some only complete carnage and a total rupture with the EU will do .

And apparently this is what they voted for in 2016 , which is a disgraceful revisioning and clearly now the ERG death cult has instructed its followers they have followed like Borg drones trying to take the country over the cliff .

And people wonder why Remainers might be just a little pissed off . Yes fine leave but for heavens sake do it sensibly with a deal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The Truss often seems to be the modern day Jim Hacker.....
    He did just fine. So might she.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    nico67 said:

Leavers ringing up radio stations saying MPs wanting to leave with a deal are betraying the public . So people not wanting to harm the country are now public enemy number one . Some MPs being called traitors for supporting Mays deal . It’s astonishing , now an orderly exit isn’t good enough and for some only complete carnage and a total rupture with the EU will do .

And apparently this is what they voted for in 2016 , which is a disgraceful revisioning and clearly now the ERG death cult has instructed its followers they have followed like Borg drones trying to take the country over the cliff .

And people wonder why Remainers might be just a little pissed off . Yes fine leave but for heavens sake do it sensibly with a deal.

Of course, Labour could end "country has gone mad" within the hour, by saying that it will vote for May's Deal for the good of the country. I hope you are making that case to them, forcefully.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hold on..

No.The issue now is whether parliament now passes an amendment to the Act of Parliament still on the statute book that says we leave on 29th March. It could do so by revoking A50 or by accepting an agreement with the EU to extend the 29th March date. For the latter, I have no doubt that the EU will be confident enough to offer much more onerous terms than it would have done if last night's vote had gone the other way.

Even if the Government falls in a vote of confidence, that primary legislation is still there if nothing more is done, and so we are still on course to leave in 2 weeks time.

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2019/03/14/leaving-without-a-withdrawal-agreement-remains-the-default-position/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    nico67 said:

For the death culters chaos is catharsis.

This could be Mark Francois:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEj1h7BC2b4
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    nico67 said:

The UK is enduring some kind of collective nervous breakdown frankly. All sense of proportion or common sense seems to being lost. God knows how long we will have to go through this all before we regain some sense.

Deeply worrying times.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Leaving with No Deal, is categorically and absolutely not what 17 million people voted for.

It doesn't matter how much the ERG and Farage claim it was. It was not. End of.

It is entirely right to have a 2nd vote if that is what is finally proposed.
  • Options

Leaving with No Deal, is categorically and absolutely not what 17 million people voted for.

It doesn't matter how much the ERG and Farage claim it was. It was not. End of.

It is entirely right to have a 2nd vote if that is what is finally proposed.

I don't recollect the words "Leave the European Union with a deal" as an option on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

NO DEAL:
    Would help bring country together: 16%

THE DEAL:
    Would help bring country together: 14%

NORWAY-PLUS:
    Would help bring country together:18%

REFERENDUM-AND-REMAIN:
    Would help bring country together: 17%

Doesn't look like the country's coming back together any time soon, then...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    I'm trying to piece together how this progresses based on today's vote and May's Tuesday night statement:

1. Today's vote: technical vote acknowledging and agreeing drivers for extension, but not forcing it. Amendment to full blown vote then rejection .possible.
    2. SIs removing No Deal default as much as practicable from UK legislation. (Gov whip for, poss Fri sitting?)
    3. MV3, acknowledging change of circumstances by removal of no deal
    4. If MV3 fails, indicative rule in/out votes on extension reasons - e.g further negotiation around current WA, switch to CU, Second Referendum on current options. Preferred option selected.
    (Here by 21/3!!!)
    5. Ask EU for extension, if fails.....
    6. MV4: explicitly stating that revocation will be result of MV4 failure.
    7. If MV4 passes, second request for technical extension. Surely granted!!

Thoughts?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

nico67 said:

The UK is enduring some kind of collective nervous breakdown frankly. All sense of proportion or common sense seems to being lost. God knows how long we will have to go through this all before we regain some sense.

Deeply worrying times.
    Tobe fair the shambles and confusion in the Commons accurately reflects opinion on the ground in the country.

Whether we Leave or Revoke in the end, it is hard to see the conflict ending, as the subsequent course is going to be highly contentious, and opposed by significant minorities. Those bored of Brexit are going toget ahell of alot more bored!

Meanwhile other political issues are neglected.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Andrew Gwynne MP
    17h17 hours ago

Poor lad.

Morning Malc - indeed. Trust it is a 'bonnie' day with you
    Morning G, weather still wild and swings between sunshine and heavy rain but I am very well indeed. Hope yuo0 are same.
This discussion has been closed.