Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters make it a 26% chance that Brexit won’t happen before 2

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Good for him. I seem to recall he allowed people to get away with it once and was soundly mocked for it.
    There was a Labour leader a few years back who had trouble with a serial rebel, as I recall.

But the rebel in question was very unimportant and only really had a seat due to his father's connections, so nobody cared much.

Good job he didn't go on to lead the Party and sack people for rebelling, or he'd look like a hypocritical fool.
    Yes, Corbyn demanding loyalty given his own record is tough. But at least he was never in a position of authority when rebelling.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Will the last Remainer still supporting Jezza please turn out the lights when they finally go.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,297
    Just catching up. So an A50 extension is now nailed on?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    ydoethur said:

Shows how ignorant some people are.

Honestly, they can't even get basic matters of gender right.
    But we call actresses actors these days so why shouldn't traitresses be called traitors?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    How could you hate one and love the other?

It would be like saying, 'Love Cadbury, hate chocolate.'

Good night.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

_Anazina_ said:

Danny565 said:

"Guess it depends on what leaving actually means..."

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1106265602451300352

I'd be quite happy with us "politically" leaving but "legally" staying in forever tbh.
    Indeed, why not just say we have left, issue Blue Passports and force everyone to eat Angel Delight once a week, but actually stay in?
    Only if they bring back the butterscotch flavour. That was great.
    Wait, it is no longer available?! Granted, it has been awhile since I had it, but it was the only flavour worth a damn. Particularly if you deliberately did not mix it fully so the top layer was all spongey.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,703
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Another thing which is hitting British TV hard is YouTube.

Indeed. I have a television. I have a laptop. I switch the laptop on and watch YouTube. I do not switch the television on any more. I'm genuinely thinking of taking it to the dump.
    You could watch YouTube on your tv.
    It's an old cheap TV. But it has given sterling service for over ten years and I will be sad to see it go. I know objects are not self-aware and it's not a good idea to anthropomorphise but, well... :(
    I hate throwing away electrical stuff which still works and has given good service.

It just seems wrong.
    I dunno about your manor, but in Camden we have a recycling centre where you can just go and leave functioning electrical equipment, and needier people can come and take it later, no questions asked. Seems very sensible to me. I agree it feels horrible to just chuck it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Electrical_and_Electronic_Equipment_Directive
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Good for him. I seem to recall he allowed people to get away with it once and was soundly mocked for it.
    There was a Labour leader a few years back who had trouble with a serial rebel, as I recall.

But the rebel in question was very unimportant and only really had a seat due to his father's connections, so nobody cared much.

Good job he didn't go on to lead the Party and sack people for rebelling, or he'd look like a hypocritical fool.
    To be fair, he was only a backbencher. If he'd been rebelling from the front bench it would have been a very different story.
  • Options

Will the last Remainer still supporting Jezza please turn out the lights when they finally go.

Dont worry, Billy Bragg still believes and is schooling Twitter re the long game.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

_Anazina_ said:

Danny565 said:

I'd be quite happy with us "politically" leaving but "legally" staying in forever tbh.
    Indeed, why not just say we have left, issue Blue Passports and force everyone to eat Angel Delight once a week, but actually stay in?
    Wait, it is no longer available?! Granted, it has been awhile since I had it, but it was the only flavour worth a damn. Particularly if you deliberately did not mix it fully so the top layer was all spongey.
    Google tells me it is still available but I haven't seen it for years and I thought it had disappeared. I agree it was the best by far, the others being far too sweet.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    SeanT said:

The protestor is perfectly polite, makes no threatening moves, doesn’t throw an egg, she just makes the very arguable point that Soubry is a traitor for betraying the expressed will of the British people.

What’s the problem?
    This is who the protester was:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6962633.stm
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

I wouldn't put it that strongly, since the british are still vague about their actual plan and some members states have said they want to see a plan before extending, rather than just enabling infinite faffing. But it looks highly likely.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Gotta love the salt-of-the-earth, pukka working class names in that statement about Labour MPs.

Justin Madders, Emma Lewell-Buck, Yvonne Fovargue.

Probably all ex coal miners?
    To be fair to Emma Lewell-Buck, she is from a working class background, and was a CP social worker in the north east, which isn't exactly a cushy number.

"From a family of shipyard workers..."

Don't be fooled by Uncle-Buck's double-barreledness, it is just one of those pretendy ones.
    People seem to be doing this when they get married now. In fact, one of my colleagues and her husband blended their surnames together (to make a surname no one seems to be able to spell).
    It seems to be a safeish principle now that double barrelled names can be associated with new Range Rover Evoques, children with unusual names (Jayleon or Chardonnay anyone), having a “nan” and and having dinner in the middle of the day.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Admiral Drax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Drax

Sent to Russia in August 1939 in a fruitless quest to seek an alliance with USSR.
  • Options

No. For a start it is dependent on all 27 EU states agreeing one.
  • Options

Err no. The House of Commons wants one but it is not in their gift and the default remains a no deal Brexit exit despite the Commons voting against that too. It's beyond pathetic.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Aren’t the rebels voting in line with agreed party policy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    ydoethur said:

How could you hate one and love the other?

It would be like saying, 'Love Cadbury, hate chocolate.'

Good night.
    'Love chocolate, hate Cadbury' however makes perfect sense. Night all.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Gotta love the salt-of-the-earth, pukka working class names in that statement about Labour MPs.

To be fair to Emma Lewell-Buck, she is from a working class background, and was a CP social worker in the north east, which isn't exactly a cushy number.

Don't be fooled by Uncle-Buck's double-barreledness, it is just one of those pretendy ones.
    People seem to be doing this when they get married now. In fact, one of my colleagues and her husband blended their surnames together (to make a surname no one seems to be able to spell).
    It seems to be a safeish principle now that double barrelled names can be associated with new Range Rover Evoques, children with unusual names (Jayleon or Chardonnay anyone), having a “nan” and and having dinner in the middle of the day.
    A new addition to our family has just been named Jaxon. I ask others to remember this next time I’m labelled one of the metropolitan elite.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,491

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

A new addition to our family has just been named Jaxon. I ask others to remember this next time I’m labelled one of the metropolitan elite.
    Is that from Karate Kid.... ?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,251

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Indeed. I have a television. I have a laptop. I switch the laptop on and watch YouTube. I do not switch the television on any more. I'm genuinely thinking of taking it to the dump.
    It's an old cheap TV. But it has given sterling service for over ten years and I will be sad to see it go. I know objects are not self-aware and it's not a good idea to anthropomorphise but, well... :(
    If its got an HDMI port you could get a Roku stick or equivalent to get things like YouTube. Fire Sticks don't permit YouTube irritatingly.
    Good to know, thank you.
    A NOW TV box lets you show YouTube (plus BBCi etc) - if you don't want the paid for channels you can have a free trial for two weeks and then cancel.
    A smart TV lets you access YouTube without any add-ons. All you need is a Wifi connection.
  • Options
    Just seen that Rod Liddle has joined the SDP.

Something is afoot.
  • Options
    Damn, if only we’d realised where we all went wrong....
    https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-theresa-may-didnt-listen-to-me-on-brexit/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nigelb said:

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I haven’t dared ask the origin yet. To be fair, there are still more “unusual” names in the clan.
  • Options

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

As a teacher, I've seen some rum stuff in the field of naming, but I've never seen a Jaxon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    What a fucking hypocrite that excuse for a man is. He's never rebelled against the Labour whip has he?
  • Options

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

My wife tells me someone in something called Brookside called her son that. Not sure that makes it better tbh.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

If its got an HDMI port you could get a Roku stick or equivalent to get things like YouTube. Fire Sticks don't permit YouTube irritatingly.
    Good to know, thank you.
    A NOW TV box lets you show YouTube (plus BBCi etc) - if you don't want the paid for channels you can have a free trial for two weeks and then cancel.
    A smart TV lets you access YouTube without any add-ons. All you need is a Wifi connection.
    And a smart TV.

:wink:
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

He's going to go through life viewed as a parental spelling mistake.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,703

A laptop lets you access YouTube without any add-ons. All you need is a laptop.

:)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2019

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Good to know, thank you.
    And a smart TV.

:wink:
    No your TV can be dumb as a box of rocks if you get a Smart box to plug into it.

EDIT: Ignore me, missed the full convo. And the wink.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Aren’t the rebels voting in line with agreed party policy?
    How did they know what it was?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    What a fucking hypocrite that excuse for a man is. He's never rebelled against the Labour whip has he?
    We all know he has and that his demanding loyalty is hypocritical. But if you don't sack rebels from your ministerial or shadow ministerial team you look powerless. If he should ever be PM should he let Cabinet Ministers rebel because he used to vote against the government when he was a backbencher? Better a hypocrite than powerless.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

*Sounds the Jaxon Klaxon*
  • Options

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

As a teacher, I've seen some rum stuff in the field of naming, but I've never seen a Jaxon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaxon
  • Options
    Meanwhile Sterling remains near a year high despite stories of it crashing. Have the markets finally concluded that politicians are as irrelevant as they are to most people?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I haven’t dared ask the origin yet. To be fair, there are still more “unusual” names in the clan.
    Well, I hope not...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fULNUr0rvEc
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Still a tad of catching up to do with BF.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511

Andrew said:

People seem to be doing this when they get married now. In fact, one of my colleague and her husband blended their surnames together (to make a surname no one seems to be able to spell).

What happens when their kids marry other double-barrelled types?
    They have to go the same way as mergers between accountancy firms or pharma companies and drop some of the names off the end. Or else look like a pair of bellends.
    Simplest if you want to be gender egalitarian and right on is for all partners to keep the surname they were born with, and give their sons the mother's surname and their daughters their father's surname. If already landed with a daft double barrel you don't want drop it for your children.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    For heaven's sake, if what they obtained was enough to persuade the DUP it would have worked already, torturing themselves by twisting in knots on legal arguments and interpretations and hypotheticals is not bringing anything new to the table, which is what they claim to need.

And that's assuming that anything could satisfy them, when it is perfectly possible nothing could.

It's just plain sad to watch. The hardcore ERGers and DUP are not suffering from a lack of comprehension of what the deal means or no deal means. However mistaken they may be they know what they are doing and what the potential cost is, constantly trying to explain it to them and beg is not persuasive to such people.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    We all know he has and that his demanding loyalty is hypocritical. But if you don't sack rebels from your ministerial or shadow ministerial team you look powerless. If he should ever be PM should he let Cabinet Ministers rebel because he used to vote against the government when he was a backbencher? Better a hypocrite than powerless.
    May does....ok, good point.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511

matt said:

G

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaxon
    Jaxons are on the way in this part of the world. At least three in the last two years including one born a week ago.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Meanwhile Sterling remains near a year ...

Not surprised after he got a hat-trick recently. ;)
  • Options

DavidL said:

He plays for Man City. That is practically cheating.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andrew said:

People seem to be doing this when they get married now. In fact, one of my colleague and her husband blended their surnames together (to make a surname no one seems to be able to spell).

They have to go the same way as mergers between accountancy firms or pharma companies and drop some of the names off the end. Or else look like a pair of bellends.
    Simplest if you want to be gender egalitarian and right on is for all partners to keep the surname they were born with, and give their sons the mother's surname and their daughters their father's surname. If already landed with a daft double barrel you don't want drop it for your children.

Yeah, except why on earth would you do it that way round? Sons take their father's name, and daughters their mother's, surely?
  • Options
    I think I am left hoping that the EU refuses an extension beyond May so as not to screw up the EU elections (which they insist are at least as important as the Eurovision Song Contest, despite all the evidence to the contrary) so that our crappy politicians are forced to make their bloody minds up. At this point even forcing a decision to revoke would at least be a decision. A treacherous, dishonest, undemocratic and cowardly decision but a decision none the less. Anything is better than more months of this.
  • Options
    If the deal ever is to be passed, can it be 22 March? Being the day before the next big second referendum march would be pretty amusing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He plays for Man City. That is practically cheating.
    If the fair play allegations are correct you can drop the practically.

Would be amused to see City docked points though I guess it won't happen this season anyway.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Yvonne Fovargue was a housing officer in Moss Side,then head of the CAB in St Helens
    Cushy number too.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think I am left hoping that the EU refuses an extension beyond May so as not to screw up the EU elections (which they insist are at least as important as the Eurovision Song Contest, despite all the evidence to the contrary) so that our crappy politicians are forced to make their bloody minds up. At this point even forcing a decision to revoke would at least be a decision. A treacherous, dishonest, undemocratic and cowardly decision but a decision none the less. Anything is better than more months of this.

I fear the EU prefers an easy way out to any alternative as well, so will open with a four year offer or something, and be talked down to a couple of years or something.

Only the DUP switching to deal can avoid an extension now (and even that not guaranteed given the Bigfoot like nature of rumoured Labour rebels who would be needed, and no reverse switchers), and the problem is they know it and don't care what happens either way.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    Now, there's a surprise.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I fear the EU prefers an easy way out to any alternative as well, so will open with a four year offer or something, and be talked down to a couple of years or something.

Only the DUP switching to deal can avoid an extension now (and even that not guaranteed given the Bigfoot like nature of rumoured Labour rebels who would be needed, and no reverse switchers), and the problem is they know it and don't care what happens either way.
    I think I would honestly prefer revocation to a 2 year extension. The economic damage of 2 more years of complete uncertainty would make a no deal Brexit look like a minor hiccup.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    David

That was my favourite. God knows what I would think of it, were I to eat it now.
  • Options
    David Steel suspended by the Lib Dems.
  • Options

Now, there's a surprise.
    These are people who think leaving the EU is not really leaving the EU. Fiddling about with complex legal minutiae is not about to convince them. It feels more like a punishment for Cox from May: "Alright, you weren't convinced my deal was legally good enough? Well then, how about you get to spend the evening with Dodds and Cash for the next 4 nights talking about Brexit legal issues?"

She's too powerless to sack anybody, but that's even worse as punishments go.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Revocation is logical for ERGers, as - presuming Hard Brexit is off the table - it allows the country to regain the leverage lost when it exercised A50.

Instead the U.K. can act like a mentally unwell tenant of the EU until they are begging us to leave at terms advantageous to us.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,911
    Scott_P said:
    He should have resigned over Worboys. I had a bet on him as next out, scuppered by bloody Rudd iirc
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    He should have resigned over Worboys. I had a bet on him as next out, scuppered by bloody Rudd iirc
    If Gauke etc leave, so should Barclay and the clowns who voted against the Government motion to extend Brexit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Me too, I would have won big if he had gone,grumble. Not that I thought he should have resigned, but come on, a payday is a payday.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SeanT said:

Andrew said:

glw said:

Coincidentally the last thing I watched was Top Gear. But before that I think it might have been around Christmas that I last watched normal TV. I regularly go months between "turning the TV on".

Year before last my aerial cable was damaged, and I never got around to fixing it. Realised eventually I never watched the TV at all, and then cancelled my licence.

Prime+netflix is only £176/year total, and there's more there than I could ever watch.
    Prime and Netflix are far greater value for money than the BBC. The BBC needs to evolve or die, either go commercial or subscription. If the BBC disappeared tomorrow it would barely affect my TV experiences.
    If forced to give up either the BBC or Netflix/Prime, I would reluctantly let the BBC go. That’s how bad it is for them.

Luckily I can afford both. Most can’t. Especially as many are also paying for Sky to watch sports.
    The annoying thing is that even if we don't want the BBC drivel that they come up with, if we want to watch Sky we have to pay for the BBC still.

With so many choices on offer like Sky, Virgin, BT, Prime and Netflix . . . the BBC is simply antiquated and poor value for money. Its defenders love it, great they can choose to get it, but why should the rest of us be compelled by law to pay for BBC simply as we want to watch Sky live?

In a couple of years time we'll be able to pay to stream sports live whether it be via Sky or another broadcaster and many more will find no reason left anymore to pay the telly tax.
  • Options
    Peston at his brilliant best on ITV 10.

How anyone can prefer the anodyne onside messager Laura K to this comic genius is one of modern life’s great mysteries.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    If Gauke etc leave, so should Barclay and the clowns who voted against the Government motion to extend Brexit.
    Christ, if cabinet ministers are going to resign just for being a clown we would run out of options. We are scraping the bottom of a sad barrel as it is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

Andrew said:

Yeah, except why on earth would you do it that way round? Sons take their father's name, and daughters their mother's, surely?
    The mothers name is that of her maternal grandfather, thereby endorsing the patriarchal system.
  • Options
    TheAncientMarinerTheAncientMariner Posts: 227
    edited March 2019
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

_Anazina_ said:

Danny565 said:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/angel-delight-butterscotch-flavour/420305-535118-535119

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Delight-Butterscotch-Flavour-sachet/dp/B00J9LNOU4/ref=asc_df_B00J9LNOU4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=208376193535&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11571669134138259573&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006526&hvtargid=pla-627050901512&psc=1
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Peston at his brilliant best on ITV 10.

How anyone can prefer the anodyne onside messager Laura K to this comic genius is one of modern life’s great mysteries.

It's the way he doesn't ever let on that its all a comedy routine that is impressive. Sort of like Alan Partridge but not quite as subtle.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Gauke is one of the very few ministers I have encountered over the years (and I have encountered many) who actually understood his brief. He’s a very intelligent guy, and therefore has no place in this cretinous administration.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

A laptop lets you access YouTube without any add-ons. All you need is a laptop.

:)
    If you like viewing stuff on a small screen...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

Andrew said:

The mothers name is that of her maternal grandfather, thereby endorsing the patriarchal system.
    Only for the first generation.
This discussion has been closed.