Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting chances of Commons agreeing deal before March 30th

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    HYUFD said:

The Agreement is the only Deal on the table, by refusing to vote for it Streeting and Nandy will be directly responsible for every one of their constituents jobs lost as a result of a No Deal Brexit
    They are in the camp of no deal pretenders as I see it - MPs who act like it is terrible while always finding a reason to not prevent it. It's a very large group, but it is notable that they care more about being offended than whether or not the choice before them is as May suggests. Because if it is (and many MPs disagree) then frankly they should not care what May says.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Is there a petition calling for May to resign?

• Options
    TudorRose said:

I'm expecting cabinet resignations.

The ministers who resign will give us a good indication of which way May is leaning. If it's Rudd/Gauke then a 'no deal' Brexit is favourite; if it's Leadsom/Mordaunt then revoke might be on the cards.
    I think she's annoyed all wings, so we could see both Leavers and Remainers resign.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited March 2019
    kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

I want to use a word to describe Theresa May that is highly abusive to both her and a whole load of other people. So I won't. I do however hope that MPs who she has chosen to abuse today at the same time as demanding those same MPsPs vote for her shitey deal tell her to go fuck herself

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind. We need a deal to stop no deal next friday

To be fair I am pleased you were prudent in your vocabulary apart from your penultimate word
    May sinks to new lows and you’re still backing he?
    I think she is coming out fighting and the public will respect her for that . Everyone I speak to is sick of parliament trying to block brexit . She is pitching herself on the side of the people , parliament is on the side if the EU now trying to scupper brexit, she will carry out the instruction of the referendum deal or no deal . In the country she will find sympathy , who cares if it upsets the mps
    TM publically outed the mps to voters weary of them and it will resonate in the population

The mps reaction demonstrates how out of touch they are like a bunch of argumentative school children upset that they have been shamed for what they are
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    @thescreamingeagles Sorry to read that you have had a difficult time.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

kle4 said:

Oliver said:
    If parliament does not remove her then they do not agree she is being hostile toward them.
    MPs opposed to Theresa May have failed in their constitutional duty to remove her and install a PM they can support (hint: not Jeremy Corbyn either). They've not had the willingness to do the dirty work, hence voting for insipid amendments supposedly ruling out no deal, but not for anything that would actually ensure that no deal doesn't happen.

Yes, Theresa May is awful, but she's only still PM because MPs have allowed her to be PM. That reflects poorly on them.
    +1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited March 2019
    viewcode said:

kjohnw said:

This is going down to the wire . If she delays the vote until next Thursday if it falls we no deal brexit on Friday. That should concentrate minds . TSE good to hear your okay , it’s scary when you get symptoms like that and such a relief when it’s not the big C. BTW what chance now do you reckon for a no deal brexit ?

The European Parliament have to ratify the deal. Their last meeting day before the 29th is the 28th. The longer you delay the greater an accidental no-deal Brexit on the 29th.

[edit: less patronising]
    Provided the Deal is passed the European Parliament can ratify it during the extension
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Ma Beckett getting very bilious on LBC.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Whatever happened to PG-rated seanT with his recently scrubbed internet history?
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

I

SeanT said:

Is he really a bad guy? Given the development of Islam since the Bosnian war, I wonder if the Serbs were right, albeit brutal. They knew the enemy.
    I doubt the threat of Radical Islam even crossed his imagination during his quest for genocide.
    Having examined his record, I would agree with you, and I resile from, and apologise for, my prior remark: which seemed to exonerate him. It was done with a casual, beery desire to provoke, and was misguided.

That said, we in Britain (who have never felt the yoke of Islamic imperialism) should tread carefully when judging the attitudes of those in central in Eastern Europe which DO have such a history.

The Ottomans were not benevolent. Christian Europeans with a race memory of Muslim subjugation should be cut the same slack we afford the Irish, when recalling British colonial status.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287

Whatever happened to PG-rated seanT with his recently scrubbed internet history?

The film deal fell through presumably.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    kyf_100 said:

CD13 said:

I've only just listened to the speech - the one that many MPs seem to think is so terrible.

What planet do they live on? Don't they listen to what ordinary people are saying. I may be in a Northern echo chamber but there's real hate here for MPs. The expenses scandal was nothing compared to this.

I'm not an MP (and have generally been a supporter of her). And I think it was terrible
    The EU have already told her to sod off, she's still going on about 30th of June as if she's still in control, when she's been told to be out by May 23rd.

She seems to have completely lost control of the situation - if not actually her grip on reality at this point - and her utter inflexibility risks seeing us crash out to no deal.

You don't think that might have been her agenda all along?

I think she's played everyone. She's played parliament. She's played the media. She's even played the silly old buffers in the EU.

With a week to go SOMETHING. HAS. CHANGED. And it's Theresa May's tranformation into a NO DEALER! :D
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

So where is the PB Crisis Index (PBCX) sitting at this evening then?

Nearly 700 contributions on this thread. Must be near a peak away from election nights.

May’s non event tonight looked distinctly like someone bottling it to me. 35 minutes late and then a complete non event. Seems to me that she was talked out of something more drastic at the last moment.
  • Options

Is there a petition calling on all our MPs to resign ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    DavidL said:

So where is the PB Crisis Index (PBCX) sitting at this evening then?

Nearly 700 contributions on this thread. Must be near a peak away from election nights.

May’s non event tonight looked distinctly like someone bottling it to me. 35 minutes late and then a complete non event. Seems to me that she was talked out of something more drastic at the last moment.
    I have got f##k all done today...thanks Mrs may.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Scott_P said:
    Has he learnt nothing from Corbyn's election?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    She's telling it like it is because she's demob-happy. If MPs vote to No-deal the country because their feelings are upset, I suspect they'll need police protection next time they go canvassing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The stitch up is the whole point of the process. It seems eminently sensible.
    SeanT said:

I

SeanT said:

Is he really a bad guy? Given the development of Islam since the Bosnian war, I wonder if the Serbs were right, albeit brutal. They knew the enemy.
    I doubt the threat of Radical Islam even crossed his imagination during his quest for genocide.
    Having examined his record, I would agree with you, and I resile from, and apologise for, my prior remark: which seemed to exonerate him. It was done with a casual, beery desire to provoke, and was misguided.
    Well that's something at least
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That sounds a lot like how Labour finished up with Jezza! :D
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Serbia Sean T Strong
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Dunno about you lot, but I wish MPs would stop finding reasons to be annoyed and instead focus on the decision. Mr May is irritating, of course, but MPs shouldn't be behaving like 13-year olds who have quarrelled with their best friends over some perceived slight.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    39? The remainer Cabinet Members need to resign fast, or others need to back a vote of no confidence, because ain't no way the deal overcomes 39 Tory rebels.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

kjohnw said:

This is going down to the wire . If she delays the vote until next Thursday if it falls we no deal brexit on Friday. That should concentrate minds . TSE good to hear your okay , it’s scary when you get symptoms like that and such a relief when it’s not the big C. BTW what chance now do you reckon for a no deal brexit ?

The European Parliament have to ratify the deal. Their last meeting day before the 29th is the 28th. The longer you delay the greater an accidental no-deal Brexit on the 29th.

[edit: less patronising]
    Provided the Deal is passed the European Parliament can ratify it during the extension
    Ah, thank you.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    DavidL said:

Thought the same. Or perhaps there's something else going on behind the scenes we don't know about - after all, there are negotiations flying about in all directions at present, some of which will impact each other.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Like Telegraph, ITV also saying they think if MV3 falls, the EU will offer a longer extension on condition of a fresh approach. Which must mean a new PM. (Betting: May goes before Brexit is 1.55 on BFE).

Peston saying Hague sees this as biggest failure of government/Parliament for two or three hundred years.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited March 2019
    The breathless indignation of MPs isn't going to impress voters.

'You know who the real victims of this are? MPs' is not a goer
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Dunno about you lot, but I wish MPs would stop finding reasons to be annoyed and instead focus on the decision. Mr May is irritating, of course, but MPs shouldn't be behaving like 13-year olds who have quarrelled with their best friends over some perceived slight.

They are extraordinarily vain
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    RoyalBlue said:

Unserious politics from unserious parties.

I’m not going to say what I think about Dominic Grieve.
    Blue Funk more like , :)
  • Options
    It's a clusterfeck, and no mistake. If we as voters have any sense, whether we leave or stay, we won't vote for any of the current incumbents of those 650 seats. Clear the lot of them out and start again. Sod it, close that relic which is Westminster down and build a purpose built parliament in Loughborough with a Travel Lodge style accommodation block next to it. Cut back the expenses. Make it work for the people, not the establishment.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    CD13 said:

She's telling it like it is because she's demob-happy.

Yep she knows her time's about up once she secures Brexit one way or another.

I wonder whether she'll give both barrels to Tusk, Jukner et al in their final encounter tomorrow?

After all the insults they've dished out to her they certainly deserve it...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They've been doing stuff like that for months.
    CD13 said:

She's telling it like it is because she's demob-happy. If MPs vote to No-deal the country because their feelings are upset, I suspect they'll need police protection next time they go canvassing.

They'd rather face a difficult situation later than face an unpleasant decision, which involves u-turning, right now.

So, thinking ahead, assuming May gets through the weekend when do MPs at least try to act? And if they do not and or do and fail, when would MPs, mostly Labour, need to break ranks in their dozens to prevent no deal?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

I want to use a word to describe Theresa May that is highly abusive to both her and a whole load of other people. So I won't. I do however hope that MPs who she has chosen to abuse today at the same time as demanding those same MPsPs vote for her shitey deal tell her to go fuck herself

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind. We need a deal to stop no deal next friday

To be fair I am pleased you were prudent in your vocabulary apart from your penultimate word
    I think she is coming out fighting and the public will respect her for that . Everyone I speak to is sick of parliament trying to block brexit . She is pitching herself on the side of the people , parliament is on the side if the EU now trying to scupper brexit, she will carry out the instruction of the referendum deal or no deal . In the country she will find sympathy , who cares if it upsets the mps
    TM publically outed the mps to voters weary of them and it will resonate in the population

The mps reaction demonstrates how out of touch they are like a bunch of argumentative school children upset that they have been shamed for what they are
    G only thing that resonates is she is a delusional liar, trying to blame everyone but the culprit.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    viewcode said:

I'm looking at the comments tonight: apparently May has given a speech and MPs are upset. Did she tell them that they were rubbish and that they should be ashamed of themselves? If so they need to hear it. They were given a great responsibility and did not discharge it very well

No but May is not in a position to criticise them given her lamentable record. Those who inhabit glass houses.....

Best to TSE - stay off the pineapple pizzas in future.....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Today it was confirmed I don't have stomach cancer and yet the events in Westminster make me really sad.

Hopefully whatever led to cancer even seeming to be a possibility is being resolved too. Best wishes
    We think it might be an ulcer or late development of lactose intolerance.
    Might have to go vegan ;-)
    Never.

I love fish too much.

Since it is the lagershed.

What do soya beans and dildos have in common?

Both get used as substitute meat.
    Some very welcome positive news (re test results not your jokes obv)
  • Options
    I put this useless collection of MPs down to many having no real experience of the world. Cocooned in non-jobs and pandered to, they rival Premiership footballers in being happy to parade their ignorance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Like Telegraph, ITV also saying they think if MV3 falls, the EU will offer a longer extension on condition of a fresh approach. Which must mean a new PM. (Betting: May goes before Brexit is 1.55 on BFE).

Yes, haven't the EU been pretty clear they are happy to consider longer options so long as we change tack? Even though a GE or referendum clearly could come back with something worse, from the EU perspective. They rightly seem to have given up on the deal.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Agreed, and Corbyn set an abysmal example flouncing out of the meeting today. A combination of impetuosity and childishness more usually seen in stroppy teenagers than MPs. Or maybe not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    I've just watched something more brutal than the Red Wedding, the last episode of Spartacus, Blood and Sand.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

G only thing that resonates is she is a delusional liar, trying to blame everyone but the culprit.
    There are multiple culprits, she is a major one and hardly in a position to throw stones, but definitely not alone.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:
    Sam, sweetie, MPs are trying to do the government’s job, not their job. That’s why it’s all tucked up
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

You are not giving the mps a free pass now are you Malc
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    IanB2 said:

Peston saying Hague sees this as biggest failure of government/Parliament for two or three hundred years.

She won’t request a longer extension. It means having to have Mep elections and she has ruled it out as an affront to democracy . She can’t be kicked out unless the hoc no confidences the government which won’t succeed . No deal now very likely
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Your continued support for May is disappointing.
  • Options

The revoke one is up to 190,000 already.

There isn't one on May resigning - I expect this is out of order against the criteria for acceptance.

There is one supporting May's deal - currently 45 signatures.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Why. It is not without criticism - she scores higher than anyone else in the public view
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I've just watched something more brutal than the Red Wedding, the last episode of Spartacus, Blood and Sand.

Isn't it the best?

A wonderful TV drama, with, I think, the very best ending of all. Somehow they managed to make it surprising (even though you knew it was coming) and poignantly uplifting (even though you knew it was grim).

For my mind, taking into account the brilliantly innovative use of language, Spartacus should be in the top ten of all drama series. Which is incredible, given that the first episodes are so brash and cartoonish.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

She won’t request a longer extension. It means having to have Mep elections and she has ruled it out as an affront to democracy . She can’t be kicked out unless the hoc no confidences the government which won’t succeed . No deal now very likely
    The question is whether she can really deny parliament a vote on it if the EU makes the offer. If the only alternative is no deal I don't see that she (or whoever steps in temporarily if she goes) can reasonably deny this. Of course knowing her she might try to unreasonably deny it. But it remains my view that she doesn't want no deal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Today it was confirmed I don't have stomach cancer and yet the events in Westminster make me really sad.

Well done Theresa and Parliament.

That's a relief. Stomach cancer is no joke.
    Superb news.

But I just saw some fantastic (early) data on colorectal cancer and had a really exciting discussion about Death Receptor Five. I think we’re (people in general) are close to cracking it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Why. It is not without criticism - she scores higher than anyone else in the public view
    You cling to that tenuous idea as if it matters. May is wrong. You are wrong. She is dangerous.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It gets bloodier in the subsequent series.
  • Options
    Oliver said:
    How about the 1910 election?

Peers Vs the People
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    CD13 said:

They'd rather face a difficult situation later than face an unpleasant decision, which involves u-turning, right now.

So, thinking ahead, assuming May gets through the weekend when do MPs at least try to act? And if they do not and or do and fail, when would MPs, mostly Labour, need to break ranks in their dozens to prevent no deal?

It's the Tory remainers who are key to any resolution. They really will have to put country before party.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

You cling to that tenuous idea as if it matters. May is wrong. You are wrong. She is dangerous.
    Well thats fine then. Sadly I respectfully disagree
  • Options
    Mr Jonathan,

Mrs May is verging on useless, but on this, she has a very large and surprising bunch of supporters. "Nothing so became her in political life as the leaving it." as the Scottish play nearly says.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Isn't it the best?

A wonderful TV drama, with, I think, the very best ending of all. Somehow they managed to make it surprising (even though you knew it was coming) and poignantly uplifting (even though you knew it was grim).

For my mind, taking into account the brilliantly innovative use of language, Spartacus should be in the top ten of all drama series. Which is incredible, given that the first episodes are so brash and cartoonish.
    My favourite quote from that show, something I often used at a lot myself.

"Never lose focus, not even if Jupiter himself were to rip open the heavens and dangle his cock from the sky."
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Has he learnt nothing from Corbyn's election?
    Boris has clearly offered him a job.

• Options

+1
  • Options
    Old thread New thread
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

The question is whether she can really deny parliament a vote on it if the EU makes the offer. If the only alternative is no deal I don't see that she (or whoever steps in temporarily if she goes) can reasonably deny this. Of course knowing her she might try to unreasonably deny it. But it remains my view that she doesn't want no deal.
    Is there anything there to want or not want? Is there anything left of her but a mindless reflexive avoidance of action?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Isn't it the best?

My favourite quote from that show, something I often used at a lot myself.

"Never lose focus, not even if Jupiter himself were to rip open the heavens and dangle his cock from the sky."
    The phrases

"Enough. Put cock in arse"

and

"Crixus, show me to wine"

Have entered my personal lexicon. They give me solace when life weighs heavy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

Agreed, and Corbyn set an abysmal example flouncing out of the meeting today. A combination of impetuosity and childishness more usually seen in stroppy Social Justice Warriors than MPs. Or maybe not.
    Corrected it for you :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Isn't it the best?

I've still got three series to go.

Batiatus and Lucretia were shitty, but I still felt some sympathy for them at the end.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    CD13 said:

It's the Tory remainers who are key to any resolution. They really will have to put country before party.
    It's the Labour MPs representing strongly Leave constituencies that should put Country before Party. The Tory Remainers should re-read the manifesto on which they stood for election and act accordingly.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

I think you misunderstand her modus operandi she will leave with no deal if her deal cannot be passed . She will deliver brexit if it is her last act of being PM. She recently said we could make a success of no deal, so she sees it as plan B
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    The article 50 revocation petition has gone from 60,000 to 200,000 in the three hours either side of May's speech. At this rate it may be in the millions by Saturday.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Isn't it the best?

Batiatus and Lucretia were shitty, but I still felt some sympathy for them at the end.
    Then you're in luck, It gets better, and better, and better. Mangificent drama.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Isn't it the best?

You'll enjoy the prequel series in that case.
  • Options

The article 50 revocation petition has gone from 60,000 to 200,000 in the three hours either side of May's speech. At this rate it may be in the millions by Saturday.

Let us know when it exceeds 17.4 million
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

But then, so are her opponents. They all think compromise is for other people, not for them.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kjohnw said:

Others might say ; let us know when ready to test out the 61:39 proportions of current remain polling with millions of the voters.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Others might say ; let us know when ready to test out the 61:39 proportions of current remain polling with millions of the voters.
    57/43 remain / no deal . And polling is never accurate in referendums as we well know
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    IanB2 said:

Hague is absolutely right. All this has shaken to the core our belief in who we are, what we want to be and what we’re capable of.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    SeanT said:

Well done Theresa and Parliament.

Glad to hear it mate.

Enjoy life. Ignore politics,
    Spot on Sean, and great to hear Eagles’ news. Trivially speaking, I’ve just had a fucking awful day, professionally, which I’m gutted about. But, we roll on. Keep buggering on.
This discussion has been closed.