Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for the no deal Blame Game

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for the no deal Blame Game

There’s little doubt that the Mail’s front page this morning correctly sums up the current position in relation to brexit with just 8 days to go. Given what the EU response was to Theresa May’s request for more time and her ongoing desire to get her deal approved then there must be an increasing chance that No Deal becomes what happens.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2019
    If MPs want to prevent no deal they have a simple choice.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

If MPs want to prevent no deal they have a skme choice.

The most straight forward way to prevent no deal is to revoke.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    May's somewhat embarrassing performance last night makes it clear that for her it is her deal or no deal. Either way we are leaving provided she remains in charge. The request for a short continuation is either going to be refused (unless the deal is agreed) or close the door on a longer extension. It will also take us past the day when we can revoke.

It is hardly surprising the likes of Grieve was furious yesterday but for loons like IDS it means no deal is a lot more likely. There is no chance of them backing the deal in these circumstances so she is dependent upon remainers deciding her deal is better. These would be the same people she was abusing on national TV last night, of course.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Yep - but in May's mind that will be complete failure. I suspect to revoke the Tories need to remove her by Monday..
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So how’s that building of a consensus for Brexit going?
  • Options
    There will be outrage if there's a revocation of article 50 next week. It would just be the most ridiculous of all outcomes.

Surely a no deal, then managed as best we can would not be so bad. Matters will have to work. No deal looks by far the most likely outcome to me now and actually not the worst and wasn't no deal better than a bad deal?

Operation yellowhammer starts on Monday!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

It's close as to whether the revoke petition becomes the most signed (on the official online platform) by 9am.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    eek said:

Yep - but in May's mind that will be complete failure. I suspect to revoke the Tories need to remove her by Monday..
    I think the only way of stopping Brexit is to pass a VONC.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    FPT
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    There was one noteworthy thing from May's speech - apart from how dishonest and, literally irresponsible it was: she mentioned No Deal but didn't argue against it, unlike extension or referendum.
    The maybot has gone rogue?
    According to her minders, who don't seem to be doing a good job of controlling her, this was supposedly a pitch to Labour MPs to get on with the job of approving her policy. Don't see it working at that level. Or any level really.

If Labour MPs do abstain enough to pass the deal, it will be because they felt trapped by an incompetent and dishonest PM, much as many of her own MPs will feel. It will store up resentment for the future negotiations where real hard decisions need to be made.
    If you think your typical Labour MP is going to abstain you've got another coming.

Labour Leave seat MPs can still vote against as their constituents are (mainly) happy with No Deal. Labour Remain MPs will vote against as their constituents want revoke.

Put bluntly May could present her deal 1,000 times it won't make any difference.
  • Options
    So who is going to resign today? Rudd is the most likely but what about the likes of Hammond? Do they hang on to see if May's reckless gamble works or abandon ship now?

May is in her charmless way looking to put together a majority of remainers and the few of her party that still pay any attention to the whip. She seems unconcerned that the majority of her own party may well vote against her. That leadership challenge by the ERG is looking one of the stupidest steps in an incredibly crowded and competitive field but we must now be in her final days, I am tempted to say hours.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited March 2019
    No Deal will kill the Tories. Whoever takes the grumpy-right-populist spot that UKIP used to fill will clean up.

The problem isn't just the blame for letting No Deal happen, which will *mostly* attach to them. It's also for all the specific things that will go wrong that could theoretically have been planned for. There's no way for a government to do something like this, even with good planning and excellent people, and come out of it looking competent. And this government doesn't have good planning and excellent people, to put it mildly.

One thing will unite the nation, from left to right, brexit to remain: The government bollocksed up the implementation.
  • Options

No Deal will kill the Tories. Whoever takes the grumpy-right-populist spot that UKIP used to fill will clean up.

The problem isn't just the blame for letting No Deal happen, which will *mostly* attach to them. It's also for all the specific things that will go wrong that could theoretically have been planned for. There's no way for a government to do something like this, even with good planning and excellent people, and come out of it looking competent. And this government doesn't have good planning and excellent people, to put it mildly.

One thing will unite the nation, from left to right, brexit to remain: The government bollocksed up the implementation.

Except May will be able to say that she moved heaven and earth to get her deal through and it was blocked by the other parties who could have supported it. That's even true, if that matters.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So who is going to resign today? Rudd is the most likely but what about the likes of Hammond? Do they hang on to see if May's reckless gamble works or abandon ship now?

I think Hammond has reconciled himself to his indispensability in the case of no deal, that he must stay to mitigate the worst effects.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So the petition has reached 500,000 so will need to be debated in Parliament. I wonder if that will be today, tomorrow or Monday as Bercow could prioritise it above everything else.

And that gives everyone a way out - put revoke to a vote and see who actually votes against.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    DavidL said:

Except May will be able to say that she moved heaven and earth to get her deal through and it was blocked by the other parties who could have supported it. That's even true, if that matters.
    It doesn't matter. It's not about No Deal happening. It's about what happened when it did.

Farage, Corbyn, the right-wing press, everybody will be saying the same thing: It wasn't the concept. It was the implementation.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2019
    The two largest parties are led by pygmies. They seem to be leapfrogging each other to see who can be the most vile.

Get yourselves together Tiggers or Lib Dems or Greens bcause after this is over we're going to need you.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Ditch May
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Labour Party has been voting against the Deal for party political reasons rather than because they honestly oppose it, so in that sense Mrs May is right to blame MPs in the way she has.
  • Options
    This is a huge stuff up and botched negotiations. But blame will fall all over the place.

There is clearly a big element of brinkmanship from the EU playing on a divided house in the UK.

This is the way things always go with EU matters - always down to the wire, forcing or making hay with political disunity and disfunction in member countries.

Right at the start of this process so many people predicted it would come down to the last minute and the EU would extract max concessions from the UK.

Ultimately I have no doubt the EU wants a more EU friendly government in London, and a reversal of Brexit.

It has friends in the UK parliament towards this.

This is a huge struggle for power and sovereignty in the UK. this is why it has turned into a huge crisis and the language used is our subjugation, capitulation to, or freedom from the EU.

I think the EU will be blamed as much as the UK parliament for no deal, when it happens next week. But both share the blame for not getting a better outcome earlier.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think Hammond has reconciled himself to his indispensability in the case of no deal, that he must stay to mitigate the worst effects.
    Hammond has been stunningly ineffective as Chancellor both in economic terms and even more significantly in political terms. Economically, he has done nothing useful, he has simply kept a steady ship. He has not addressed the serious imbalances in our economy, he has not sought to defuse ticking time bombs like student debt, he has spent more money but got very little bang for his bucks.

Politically, he has been the weakest and least relevant Chancellor I can recall. Even Darling had more sway and influence and he was dealing with a true madman.

In short I am somewhat unpersuaded of his indispensability.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Labour Party has been voting against the Deal for party political reasons rather than because they honestly oppose it, so in that sense Mrs May is right to blame MPs in the way she has.

That’s not true. The fact people around May believe that is one of the reasons she is in so much trouble.
  • Options
    There’s plenty of scope for blame all around. The Prime Minister has to take prime responsibility.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

Which doesn't prevent No Deal unless a Revoker PM can command the confidence of the House, by next weekend.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It doesn't matter. It's not about No Deal happening. It's about what happened when it did.

Farage, Corbyn, the right-wing press, everybody will be saying the same thing: It wasn't the concept. It was the implementation.
    Well, we may well see. I think that there is plenty of blame to go around and the perception is that in her inept, incompetent, mildly autistic way May has done her best to prevent no deal.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Ditch May
    Ìf the WA is anathema to them, and they don't want No Deal, that is indeed what they must do.
  • Options
    When are the EU going to realise we hold all the cards?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited March 2019
    I still think the Deal makes sense, but short of Labour MPs having a change of heart this weekend after returning to their constituencies, I don’t see it happening.

I no longer feel any terror of No Deal. There will be bumps, but none of the worst fears will be realised and the Government will introduce emergency tax cuts to boost the economy. It will also make Brexit totally irreversible.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited March 2019
    Someone posed the counterfactual yesterday of how this would all be going if Cameron had stayed on. Last night was a key example of where it would be different. He would have been having one to ones in the Commons, killing Mark Francois - or at least Lucy Allan - with kindness and asking them to indulge him one last time on this. He’d probably share a whisky with some Eurosceptic and clubbable old Etonian and reminisce about Major’s bastards.

He certainly wouldn’t go on national TV and tell them what arses they were being.

I think we’re back in the realms of 100+ defeat. Any hint of goodwill on both sides will have gone, especially from the bulging intersection in the Venn diagram “Backwoods Eurosceptics/Men of a certain vintage who don’t appreciate being told what to do by a woman”. To have any chance, this needed a ‘one last push, and if X will vote for it then I can’ dynamic. That has been replaced by ‘screw you’.

Given how much time has run down and how many options have been removed, No Deal feels like a prominent challenger now. TM has made it clear she won’t countenance other options, and the opposition lacks the cojones and co-ordination to make her. Tory rebellion is unlikely to unseat her in 8 days; even a HoC VONC couldn’t give a stable government before DDay.

I’ve been a firm “the deal will probably get there in the end” peddler until now. But I’m not so sure today.
  • Options

There’s plenty of scope for blame all around. The Prime Minister has to take prime responsibility.

But you'll have to accept your share, Alastair.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I see the MPs are still delusional.

"My adoring public love me, darlings."

They'll get a nasty shock when they meet the real public.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It is not for Labour to bail Mrs May out of her hopeless deal.

Jeremy has been right in that respect.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited March 2019
    Morning PB,

Without a legal change we are now 8 days from departing the EU deal or no deal!

Everyone this way for the departure lounge! :D
  • Options

Sean_F said:

eek said:

Which doesn't prevent No Deal unless a Revoker PM can command the confidence of the House, by next weekend.
    That's why today's trending petition is going to be the main discussion in parliament in the very near future. It's the only option parliament hasn't discussed yet so I suspect Bercow will insist on people voting for it and owning the result..
  • Options
    Roger said:

The two largest parties are led by pygmies. They seem to be leapfrogging each other to see who can be the most vile.

Get yourselves together Tiggers or Lib Dems or Greens bcause after this is over we're going to need you.

The Greens. That is the last thing we need.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hammond has been stunningly ineffective as Chancellor both in economic terms and even more significantly in political terms. Economically, he has done nothing useful, he has simply kept a steady ship. He has not addressed the serious imbalances in our economy, he has not sought to defuse ticking time bombs like student debt, he has spent more money but got very little bang for his bucks.

Politically, he has been the weakest and least relevant Chancellor I can recall. Even Darling had more sway and influence and he was dealing with a true madman.

I should have said that it was "self-perceived" of course.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Ditch May
    Ìf the WA is anathema to them, and they don't want No Deal, that is indeed what they must do.
    I agree but the only way that can happen is if the large remain majority in the Commons are willing to throw off the shackles of both main party leaders, pass a VONC and then replace May with someone other than Corbyn willing to revoke. I honestly think that the Tiggers were an attempt to facilitate that but they have proven something of a damp squib, at least 100 MPs short of a critical mass.
  • Options
    Mr L,

"he perception is that in her inept, incompetent, mildly autistic way May has done her best to prevent no deal."

Exactly.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I still think the Deal makes sense, but short of Labour MPs having a change of heart this weekend after returning to their constituencies, I don’t see it happening.

I no longer feel any terror of No Deal. There will be bumps, but none of the worst fears will be realised and the Government will introduce emergency tax cuts to boost the economy. It will also make Brexit totally irreversible.

Labour MPs won't be voting for May's Deal as I stated below - their constituents are happier with the other options
  • Options
    We are heading for no deal and leaving the EU next Friday and I cannot see any way out of it. Sadly.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

It's close as to whether the revoke petition becomes the most signed (on the official online platform) by 9am.
    a revoke can costs two tricks IIRC.. an unwelcome outcome
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I should have said that it was "self-perceived" of course.
    Fair enough. It's too early to go Godwin but others in history who might have thought the same come readily to mind.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Ditch May
    There isn't a ditch big enough.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

When we get a Tardis and replace Cameron with a PM who doesn't fold the cards.

Doesn't matter if you held pocket Aces if you fold them.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    The idea that MPs are the ones who don't know what they want astounds me. At every turn this government has attempted to frustrate "the will of the people" (how I hate that phrase) ie their elected representatives. At every point the government, who do not have a majority and lost their majority partly on this stance on Brexit, has acted like toughies and demagogues, refusing to actually work with anyone on a deal that had even a whiff of compromise. Yes, Corbyn is a complete dork for walking out of a meeting that included Umana, but at least Corbyn's proposal for how to leave the EU could probably pass the house on a freeish vote and the EU. The same is not true of May's deal. She has failed to convince people of this deal in her rhetoric (she managed to get the EU to keep us in the SM without FoM, that should be Leaver Nirvana!) and in her politicking. She is useless, and only allowed to keep going because everyone else is even more useless. If we stay in the EU, I can see Tommy Robinson MEP in our future, and I don't really see us coming back from that. Once the likes of he have that sort of platform, we'll start going down the route of Poland, Hungary and Brazil.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Morning PB,

Without a legal change we are now 8 days from departing the EU deal or no deal!

Everyone this way for the departure lounge! :D

Bring your own loo rolls!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

eek said:

The choice is not palatable for them. Corbyn or May, but that's where we are. I expect PM Corbyn would request a long extension, in return for Remainer support.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

That’s not true. The fact people around May believe that is one of the reasons she is in so much trouble.
    Most Labour supporters are Remainers, and of those that are not, a lot would be No-Deal Leavers, so I'm not sure Opposition MPs have to take much blame. Some, such as Yvette Cooper, have done their darndest to steer the Government in a better direction.

One cannot be so generous in respect of the Labour Leadership, which has been weak, shifty, inconsistent and marginal throughout.
  • Options
    148grss said:

The idea that MPs are the ones who don't know what they want astounds me. At every turn this government has attempted to frustrate "the will of the people" (how I hate that phrase) ie their elected representatives. At every point the government, who do not have a majority and lost their majority partly on this stance on Brexit, has acted like toughies and demagogues, refusing to actually work with anyone on a deal that had even a whiff of compromise. Yes, Corbyn is a complete dork for walking out of a meeting that included Umana, but at least Corbyn's proposal for how to leave the EU could probably pass the house on a freeish vote and the EU. The same is not true of May's deal. She has failed to convince people of this deal in her rhetoric (she managed to get the EU to keep us in the SM without FoM, that should be Leaver Nirvana!) and in her politicking. She is useless, and only allowed to keep going because everyone else is even more useless. If we stay in the EU, I can see Tommy Robinson MEP in our future, and I don't really see us coming back from that. Once the likes of he have that sort of platform, we'll start going down the route of Poland, Hungary and Brazil.

MP's know what they don't want, not what they do want.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Unusually, I totally disagree. Chancellors in general are guilty of making far too many frequent small policy changes that create additional work for business, without being large enough to make much difference to outcomes. This is how we have ended up with the second longest tax code in the world, after India. Hammond’s decision to revert to annual budgets has been an excellent reform.

That said, I have full confidence that he has a full suite of emergency measures ready to go for when we leave with no deal.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Remarkably, it seems that the one group that will not get the blame is the EU27. Whatever happens now our politicians have ensured that they will own it. I am pretty sure that was not supposed to be the plan!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Emergency tax cuts have always been included as part of the long-term package of goals of Brexit.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

At the moment we're in seven spades redoubled with a void in the suit and partner has just put down Jxx.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Do they have the practical means to do so ? Apparently revoke requires primary legislation
  • Options

Problem is it turns out we are playing Sevens.... :)
  • Options

Why should I pay any attention to those who said No Deal was Project Fear and now say No Deal will be fine?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

I think most MPs would be more than happy to vote for a soft Brexit; something similar to what the Swiss have. They'd happily vote for a CU. I think most MPs want to confirm the spirit of the referendum; a close leave victory that was won on the basis of arguments along the lines of "a deal will be easy", "we don't have to leave the SM or CU", "we could just join the EEA" etc. Those ideas were never considered by this government.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

She gets away with it because Corbyn storms out of a meeting' because he doesn't like Ummuna.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I said in December that the ERG had played a blinder with the letters. Tory remainers were too dumb to realise that they needed to act there and then.
  • Options
    eek said:

So the petition has reached 500,000 so will need to be debated in Parliament. I wonder if that will be today, tomorrow or Monday as Bercow could prioritise it above everything else.

And that gives everyone a way out - put revoke to a vote and see who actually votes against.

I cannot see any petition being debated in the HOC before next friday

The HOC is going to be overwhelmed next week with various tactics and even indicative votes but if MV3 falls, as is more than possible, we must be heading out on a no deal. No deal is default and the only immediate way of stopping it is MV3

The EU are suggesting they will call a crisis meeting next thursday and that will be the 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed moment'

I have no confidence in our warring mps resolving anything until they have no choice. That arrives next friday
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    TOPPING said:

At the moment we're in seven spades redoubled with a void in the suit and partner has just put down Jxx.
    GRAYLING: "Snap."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,946
    Given the economy will be collapsing, Sturgeon pushing indyref2, Sinn Fein demanding a border poll etc within weeks of No Deal there will be little time for a blame game as the country will be in chaos.

There does however remain a majority in the Commons for a SM and Customs Union BINO over EUref2, No Deal or the Deal, even if it takes a minority Corbyn Government to get there propped up by the SNP that remains the likely long term shape of Brexit
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    eek said:

FPT

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    There was one noteworthy thing from May's speech - apart from how dishonest and, literally irresponsible it was: she mentioned No Deal but didn't argue against it, unlike extension or referendum.
    The maybot has gone rogue?
    According to her minders, who don't seem to be doing a good job of controlling her, this was supposedly a pitch to Labour MPs to get on with the job of approving her policy. Don't see it working at that level. Or any level really.

If Labour MPs do abstain enough to pass the deal, it will be because they felt trapped by an incompetent and dishonest PM, much as many of her own MPs will feel. It will store up resentment for the future negotiations where real hard decisions need to be made.
    If you think your typical Labour MP is going to abstain you've got another coming.

Labour Leave seat MPs can still vote against as their constituents are (mainly) happy with No Deal. Labour Remain MPs will vote against as their constituents want revoke.

Put bluntly May could present her deal 1,000 times it won't make any difference.

Labour MPs go home each weekend to CLPs packed full of members passionately opposed to Brexit and with wide powers of deselection. May needs to give them very good reasons to support her deal. She has failed utterly. Last night was the icing on the cake.

• Options

That is correct. It is also commonly followed by a punch in the gob.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

Unfortunately it does not stop the default position of no deal.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Unusually, I totally disagree. Chancellors in general are guilty of making far too many frequent small policy changes that create additional work for business, without being large enough to make much difference to outcomes. This is how we have ended up with the second longest tax code in the world, after India. Hammond’s decision to revert to annual budgets has been an excellent reform.

That said, I have full confidence that he has a full suite of emergency measures ready to go for when we leave with no deal.
    Whilst I agree that many Chancellors over complicate things in unproductive ways I think that there is a difference between doing that and setting big picture targets for the economy. As an example consumption and personal borrowing are dangerously high sucking in excess imports. There is a trade off between attacking consumption and growth or course but I think that the wiser course would have been to encourage more investment, discourage consumption and take active steps to encourage import substitution.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

I think most MPs would be more than happy to vote for a soft Brexit; something similar to what the Swiss have. They'd happily vote for a CU. I think most MPs want to confirm the spirit of the referendum; a close leave victory that was won on the basis of arguments along the lines of "a deal will be easy", "we don't have to leave the SM or CU", "we could just join the EEA" etc. Those ideas were never considered by this government.
    Yes, I think Cameron would have followed this, and the both the remain and leave campaigns in the referendum were coloured by his relaxed confidence of this and its inevitability. May, with her background in the Home Office and preoccupation with immigration, was never going to follow such a course. In a way, Cameron's breezy and clubbable confidence collided with May's obsessive populism.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

Given the economy will be collapsing, Sturgeon pushing indyref2, Sinn Fein demanding a border poll etc within weeks of No Deal there will be little time for a blame game as the country will be in chaos.

There does however remain a majority in the Commons for a SM and Customs Union BINO over EUref2, No Deal or the Deal, even if it takes a minority Corbyn Government to get there propped up by the SNP that remains the likely long term shape of Brexit

That was the solution in January. The solution now is revoke.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

Most Labour supporters are Remainers, and of those that are not, a lot would be No-Deal Leavers, so I'm not sure Opposition MPs have to take much blame. Some, such as Yvette Cooper, have done their darndest to steer the Government in a better direction.

One cannot be so generous in respect of the Labour Leadership, which has been weak, shifty, inconsistent and marginal throughout.
    The story of the past few months is simple. May chose brinkmanship to force her deal through. At part of that approach, she denied oxygen to anything that deviated from her deal. She set up the foundations of the current crisis by delaying and framing a false binary choice.

The trouble was at the same time she actively antagonised the people she needs to support her and has did nothing to fix the flaws in her approach. There is nothing in her deal to win over Labour Leavers or soft Remainers. If anything there is an off putting tone reminiscent of her days in the home office.

Faced with the failure of her brinkmanship, she did not adapt she dug in. Nothing changed. She and her supporters now want others to rescue her. The cavalry is not coming.

• Options
    edited March 2019

The EU is not going to fold, we export more to them than they do to us, they will just use a collapsing UK 'pour encouraged led autres' and as a warning to any other nations that try and stray from the line, see Greece where ultimately it was Greece that caved on austerity, not the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I said in December that the ERG had played a blinder with the letters. Tory remainers were too dumb to realise that they needed to act there and then.

This is all going to come down to public opinion. When this blows up in everyone's face as it inevitably will I doubt many will see the ERG as winners
  • Options

I agree but the blame lies with the mps themselves in the end
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

I think this is the most interesting story in all of this. The referendum and its aftermath looks like the failure of representative democracy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    As I suggested a few days ago, there is and will be loads of culpa but fuck all mea.

Will anyone be willing to say I/we have really screwed up by voting for/supporting/ wishing for X? Of course I can see the problem that if you do put your head above the parapet of regret you're immediately accused of being a liar.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

This is what happens when you use the blackwood convention. It always ends in tears.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

eek said:

Next friday, weekend is too late. It is madness
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

She gets away with it because Corbyn storms out of a meeting' because he doesn't like Ummuna.
    In fact I think Corbyn has got away with it a bit. In normal circumstances such behavior would have exposed him to widespread national ridicule, but he was upstaged by May's extraordinary performance in front of the lectern in Downing Street.
  • Options

Remarkably, it seems that the one group that will not get the blame is the EU27. Whatever happens now our politicians have ensured that they will own it. I am pretty sure that was not supposed to be the plan!

Looks that way today and a nice thought, but I think your conclusion is premature.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

eek said:

Unfortunately it does not stop the default position of no deal.
    No, but I expect the EU would give some breathing space to the new PM
  • Options

I’ve spent most of the last three years giving helpful advice to Leavers and being roundly abused for the most part. It’s a thankless task.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    eek said:

Isn't there a validation process that needs to be carried out to make sure they are real people ?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I agree but the blame lies with the mps themselves in the end
    The buck stops with May. If her brinkmanship wins she will certainly claim a triumph, she must take the flip side.
  • Options
    I think many on here are happy for party politics to take precedence. Perhaps you're thinking too deeply.

From the outside, it's much simpler. The PM, a Remainer thrust into the role of negotiating Brexit, comes back with a deal from the EU. It's not great, but all there is on offer. The MPs who had no intention of honouring their promises, have been voting against everything to stop progress.

The PM, in a valedictory speech, tells the truth, and the MPs react like the spoilt, lying children they are. She may be incompetent (she is), not the brightest (but not in Jezza's class as dumb), but she's straightforward and honest for once.

Like slugs sprinkled with salt, the MPs thrash around, spitting defiance. At the end, she has exposed their failings and they don't like it. Schadenfreude with a vengeance.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Any option requires the passing of the WA, which MP's think is terrible.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited March 2019

That's why today's trending petition is going to be the main discussion in parliament in the very near future. It's the only option parliament hasn't discussed yet so I suspect Bercow will insist on people voting for it and owning the result..

Bercow does not have that much power
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Emergency tax cuts will do the square foot of did all as the £ and FTSE collapse, banks nd manufacturers start to move to the continent and the Union risks breaking up. It would take us becoming Singapore to make a real difference and there is little appetite amongst voters for that.

All No Deal will likely lead to is SM and Customs Union BINO or we rejoin the EU with the Euro and Schengen never to squeak again
  • Options

eek said:

Isn't there a validation process that needs to be carried out to make sure they are real people ?
    With 500,000 people the odds of 100,000 not being real is minimal especially given it's going to be 1million by close of play today.
  • Options
    I think this is going to lead to a no deal crash out, but this has been on the cards for a long time, and many people on here have been saying this for years. IE Fox, TSE

The trouble is the context of the referendum + the make up of parliament has meant that the UK doesn't have the capacity or ability to negotiate effectively. So, the two alternatives are crashing out, or submitting to an unfavourable agreement.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    eek said:

eek said:

With 500,000 people the odds of 100,000 not being real is minimal especially given it's going to be 1million by close of play today.
    At the current rate of signups it’ll be 1m by lunchtime.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    It's a shame we haven't got an PB archive from the weeks before Black Wednesday. I think it would look a lot like this.

PS Hunt on R4 Today just now is definitely after the top job.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    AndyJS said:

With the speech last night, the PM proclaiming to the nation that she is not in control and hasn't been for some time may get sympathy, but I'm not sure that will translate into support in the future.

People sympathised with Major.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I think many on here are happy for party politics to take precedence. Perhaps you're thinking too deeply.

From the outside, it's much simpler. The PM, a Remainer thrust into the role of negotiating Brexit, comes back with a deal from the EU. It's not great, but all there is on offer. The MPs who had no intention of honouring their promises, have been voting against everything to stop progress.

The PM, in a valedictory speech, tells the truth, and the MPs react like the spoilt, lying children they are. She may be incompetent (she is), not the brightest (but not in Jezza's class as dumb), but she's straightforward and honest for once.

Like slugs sprinkled with salt, the MPs thrash around, spitting defiance. At the end, she has exposed their failings and they don't like it. Schadenfreude with a vengeance.

And this is productive how?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Under, welcome to PB.

Utterly off-topic, but some excellent news might be a welcome distraction:
    https://twitter.com/BillandTed3/status/1108405344802242560
  • Options

No Deal will not kill the Tories though, the majority of Tory voters and Leavers back No Deal over Remain. Indeed No Deal will likely kill UKIP beyond a few anti Islam Tommy Robinson types as they have no purpose as they have achieved everything they wanted, it is revoke which could kill the Tories as then UKIP or Farage's new Brexit Party really would clean up, unless the Tories replaced May with a hardline Leaver like Boris, Raab or McVey or Patel
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    DavidL said:

So who is going to resign today? Rudd is the most likely but what about the likes of Hammond? Do they hang on to see if May's reckless gamble works or abandon ship now?...

I'm slightly surprised there weren't cabinet resignations yesterday, given that May's latest move requesting the extension from the EU was taken without even the pretence of cabinet agreement.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,067

Surely Brexit proves that time travel is impossible?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

With the speech last night, the PM proclaiming to the nation that she is not in control and hasn't been for some time may get sympathy, but I'm not sure that will translate into support in the future.

At the moment most people have not been impacted. If that changes, the mood will change. It could get rather brutal for the government at that point.
  • Options

I’ve spent most of the last three years giving helpful advice to Leavers and being roundly abused for the most part. It’s a thankless task.
    I really think that a statue is in order. Maybe a virtual one, somewhere on the internet where people can pay homage.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

So who is going to resign today? Rudd is the most likely but what about the likes of Hammond? Do they hang on to see if May's reckless gamble works or abandon ship now?...

I'm slightly surprised there weren't cabinet resignations yesterday, given that May's latest move requesting the extension from the EU was taken without even the pretence of cabinet agreement.
    It depends whether one's leadership ambitions are enhanced by staying or resigning.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

At the moment most people have not been impacted. If that changes, the mood will change. It could get rather brutal for the government at that point.
    If we go No Deal it won't be if it will be when. The only question really is where things fall about that causes that when..
This discussion has been closed.