Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we approach the slightly later than planned day of reckonin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we approach the slightly later than planned day of reckoning

Has Britain finally reached a decision point? Still the outcome seems in doubt. Many others are writing about what comes next. But how did we get here?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Last
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2019
    1st, unless it is delayed until 23rd May

It appears it is now after last and no longer first.

This is very much like Brexit
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Are MPs going to take the matter out of her hands, and if so how? Last week the motion proposed by Hillary Benn to allow Parliament to take control of the process failed by two votes. Will MPs find a way to try again? If they do, will they take that opportunity?

They've already voted on this, so I'm not sure they can do so again.

*innocent face*
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    FPT, the ERG have blown the hardest Brexit that was on offer, so now they'll be getting something less desirable from their point of view.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

FPT, the ERG have blown the hardest Brexit that was on offer, so now they'll be getting something less desirable from their point of view.

Colour me less than shocked that tactical genius Mark Francois has ballsed it. That (Territorial) Army training was wasted.
  • Options
    FPT

Greg Clark announced that TM will bring in indicative votes next week

I hope she has finally decided to back the grown ups and abandon the ludicrous ERG
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Sean_F said:

Colour me less than shocked than tactical genius Mark Francois has ballsed it. That (Territorial) Army training was wasted.
    He does have the air of Captain Mainwaring about him.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Colour me less than shocked than tactical genius Mark Francois has ballsed it. That (Territorial) Army training was wasted.
    It never occurred to him that voting against Brexit made Brexit less likely (or a soft Brexit more likely).
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The ERG are throwing their toys out of the pram.

The DUP are crying No Surrender.

They have both shot their bolt. The best Brexit they can now get is one neither of them wanted.

No flowers...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697
    Curse of the new thread:

The 12th is the hard deadline

The deal would take us to 22nd May but you cannot revoke post 12th April because we will not have taken part in the EU elections as confirmed by Angela Merkel

Again, I ask why. Again, let's say the Deal is accepted right?

So, what position is the UK between 13th April 2019 and 22nd May 2019.
    Are we a member state of the EU or not?
    If we are, we MUST be able to revoke.

Yes it 'breaks' the EU elections, in which case, if we take the Deal we MUST prepare for them, presumably?
  • Options
    Surely if there's a no confidence vote next week some tories would be tempted to abstain but what kind of psychopath would actually want to be PM right now?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

FPT

I hope she has finally decided to back the grown ups and abandon the ludicrous ERG

Except it seems from twitter that No. 10 now pouring cold water all over this.

I am hopelessly lost now.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Scott_P said:

They have both shot their bolt. The best Brexit they can now get is one neither of them wanted.

No flowers...

I dare say the Dupper bigots will be delighted with Remain/Norway+ as Sean F says on the earlier thread. It will allow them to keep their perennial sense of grievance and spout their vitriol while keeping the NI economy afloat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Sean_F said:

May's abject performance before the EU ruled out "No deal" on March 30th... but it could still reappear by April 12th, it isn't completely out the running yet.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Scott_P said:

No flowers...

They aren't going to get any Brexit.
  • Options
    FPT

I see #CorbynsCustomsUnion is the least disliked outcome.

Also seen as a good outcome by more than Tin Ears Deal Or No Deal

Amusingly it is legally identical to May's deal
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

FPT

You, me and the PM.....
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    FPT

While a delay and soft Brexit might be the only option left it does of course spell huge trouble for the Tory Party as Michael Portillo said on TW last night. The notion the 70% Leave voting activist, membership and voter base will take kindly to a set of Euro elections and a long delay to Brexit is for the birds.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

Aaaaany minut now, they'll realise that the EU caving on Brexit is the only thing that will save them. Soon. Very soon...
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1109092601624444928

Germany biggest export industry is capital goods, and the slowdown in China is dramatically impacting demand

See https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/deu/
    Yes and if you look at the export destinations for goods in 2017 7.1% went to China and 6.8% went to the UK. Seeing as we are stockpiling at the moment, it can be assumed that we have bought forward demand for German goods. When we reverse this process and if China keeps slowing down I can only see it getting worse for Germany short term. Which also means it gets worse for the countries that supply the German export machine with intra-EU trade.
    I think that's right.

But with a huge caveat. Germany has proposed - for the first time in a decade - an expansionary budget. Spending is increasing, while taxes are being reduced. In total the effect should be about a 1% boost to GDP. (Which is small change compared to President Trump's budget, but is massive for Germany.)

So, all in all, I'd expect that the "core" Germany economy will probably slow from growth of 1.7-1.8% to perhaps just 0.2-0.3%, but this will be largely offset by government spending and tax cuts. My estimate: GDP growth of 1.2-1.3% in 2019.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Is this the #CorbynsCustomsUnion thread?
  • Options
    Will we survive until the end of next week without at least one cabinet resignation? Hard to see how everyone stays on board after MV3 fails.
  • Options
    Norm said:

FPT

While a delay and soft Brexit might be the only option left it does of course spell huge trouble for the Tory Party as Michael Portillo said on TW last night. The notion the 70% Leave voting activist, membership and voter base will take kindly to a set of Euro elections and a long delay to Brexit is for the birds.

Which is why the ERG should not be making these things happen.
  • Options

Will we survive until the end of next week without at least one cabinet resignation? Hard to see how everyone stays on board after MV3 fails.

It depends whether their leadership prospects would be enhanced or not.
  • Options
    Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Its a bad time BREXIT and Local Elections don't mix
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Scott_P said:

No flowers...

IMO the DUP will not be sorry to lose the option of a hard Brexit, especially as there are plenty of others who can take the blame for losing it. Their base is motivated primarily by Irish/sectarian issues and almost all of them want to prevent a hard border in any case. They will not change their votes if hard Brexit, or even Brexit itself, is lost.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited March 2019

Sean_F said:

More Chief Warden Hodges.......

Pike is already cast......

Captain Mainwaring: Mrs May - those leadership & communication skills....
    Lance Corporal Jones: The BDS Crew (Grayling/Adonis/Grieve/Soubry)
    Sergeant Wilson: Ken Clarke
    Private Walker: David Davis/Boris
    Private Godfrey: Chris Grayling
    Private Fraser: Corbyn
    Rev Timothy Farthing MA (Oxon): Letwin
    Maurice Yeatman (Verger): Gove
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It never occurred to him that voting against Brexit made Brexit less likely (or a soft Brexit more likely).
    If only there had been some sort of clue...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Do opinion polls suggest more Conservative voters want May's deal or No deal?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Re the last thread, I can't imagine a sentence of a year or more being imposed. His explanation that he was (correctly) told he could split the bill between the two accounts and made up two half-invoices himself instead of asking the photographer to do it properly makes him sound like a slapdash idiot, but not a serious criminal who needs to be locked up.

And yes I know he's a Tory and it'd be an interesting by-election, but fairness and proportionality still matter.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

I'll be marching tomorrow. There is only one issue on the agenda at the moment.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Palmer, that's an alarming level of nuance from a recent politician ;)
  • Options

Re the last thread, I can't imagine a sentence of a year or more being imposed. His explanation that he was (correctly) told he could split the bill between the two accounts and made up two half-invoices himself instead of asking the photographer to do it properly makes him sound like a slapdash idiot, but not a serious criminal who needs to be locked up.

And yes I know he's a Tory and it'd be an interesting by-election, but fairness and proportionality still matter.

If that's the case it doesn't sound like fraud at all to me. Incompetence yes.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

If you'll accept petition signatures, current totals are:

REVOKE A50: 3,360,250 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
    LEAVE WITH NO DEAL: 392,966 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963
    DEAL: 62 (yes you read that right) https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/233104
    Whose side is she really on?

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    I guess this is not one of the polls where Mr Glenn comments 'the trend is your friend'....
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

DEAL: 62 (yes you read that right) https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/233104

No I said opinion polls not voodoo polls
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Sean_F said:

Unfair! Private Walker generally delivered the nefarious goods he offered.
  • Options

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Amazing, the deal petition has gone up at least 13 since I signed it.
  • Options

I think they're split fairly evenly. However the one thing that united them and business etc is that they want an end to uncertainty. May's deal does that as does No Deal (although it's not an option I'd personally want). A long delay, Brexit uncertainty, a new set of Euro elections are anathema to most.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

No, I think that's the likeliest outcome now. May and/or the government will collapse before 12 April, the Commons will vote to accept the EU's proffered longer extension and the EU will agree in the hope that within 9 months the UK will have come up with a coherent way forward. Which will have to involve a general election or referendum or perhaps both.
  • Options

FPT

Looks as if it has changed. DUP shooting down MV3 changes it for TM

Why fight a lost cause, do something that unites the house and maybe keeps her as PM
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

May's abject performance before the EU ruled out "No deal" on March 30th... but it could still reappear by April 12th, it isn't completely out the running yet.
    You are correct that no deal is still there but now the HOC are taking over it will be gone soon
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Agree. Locking up slapdash idiot MPs wouldn't leave many left in fairness.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited March 2019

I cannot see it being put forward now the DUP have shot it down
  • Options

Well said.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    tpfkar said:

For completeness, SECOND REFERENDUM: 109,924 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235138
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Scott_P said:
    I guess this is not one of the polls where Mr Glenn comments 'the trend is your friend'....
    The long-term trend is your friend.
  • Options

FPT

Looks as if it has changed. DUP shooting down MV3 changes it for TM

Why fight a lost cause, do something that unites the house and maybe keeps her as PM
    This all rather depends on MPs understanding that the WA is not up for renegotiation while the PD is (within reason (I'd put more water in it - ed.))

I am not overly optimistic.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

There's one from Survation (11.01.19) suggesting Conservative voters would prefer May's Deal to No Deal by 50/37. It's Table 35.

https://www.survation.com/archive/2019-2/

As far as I can tell, support for No Deal, May's Deal, and Brexit generally runs at 70-75% among Conservative voters, among a range of pollsters.

All but half a dozen Conservative MPs know they've got to deliver some form of Brexit if they want to satisfy their voters.
  • Options
    Revokers struggling to get 5m

Currently 14m short of 17.4m
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    What is so frustrating is that there are some of us on the Leave side who proposed exactly what Alastair is talking about within a day or so of the referendum. But of course we have no power and no political ambition so were never going to be listened to.

It is also worth pointing out that some Remainers' answer to the suggestion that we should treat this as a cross party/cross opinion issue was to say stuff that this will be your problem not ours. Which is hardly on keeping with the sort of reconciliation that Alastair talks about.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

You are correct that no deal is still there but now the HOC are taking over it will be gone soon
    Accidental No Deal remains a real possibility, if the Commons cannot agree anything.
  • Options

Genuine question.

when the EU say the current deal is the only deal they can offer and only one possible - is that based on TMay's red-lines basis OR is it the case even if Jezza (but actually Starmer) were doing the negotiations? if the latter then this CCU stuff is as pointless as the unicorns and owls isn't it?
  • Options

What is so frustrating is that there are some of us on the Leave side who proposed exactly what Alastair is talking about within a day or so of the referendum. But of course we have no power and no political ambition so were never going to be listened to.

It is also worth pointing out that some Remainers' answer to the suggestion that we should treat this as a cross party/cross opinion issue was to say stuff that this will be your problem not ours. Which is hardly on keeping with the sort of reconciliation that Alastair talks about.

But Richard, it is your problem not Remainers'. Remainers don't have any interest in seeing Brexit work.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

and Godfrey was a war hero!!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

No, I think that's the likeliest outcome now. May and/or the government will collapse before 12 April, the Commons will vote to accept the EU's proffered longer extension and the EU will agree in the hope that within 9 months the UK will have come up with a coherent way forward. Which will have to involve a general election or referendum or perhaps both.
    And how do we do this with no MEPs. Without MEPs we cannot be in the EU
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Agree with much of the Header but in one important respect I don't.

I view May's Deal as the platform for a 'softish' Brexit that neither panders to Hard Leavers nor tramples roughshod over Remainers.

The only legally binding part of the Deal is the WA, which via the Backstop steers to a closely aligned Future Relationship.

This displeases Hard Leavers, being less than a clean break, and it displeases Hard Remainers, being less than staying in the EU.

It is, in other words, just the sort of compromise that one would have hoped and expected the government to have negotiated.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

tpfkar said:

For completeness, SECOND REFERENDUM: 109,924 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235138
    393k for Leave
    3.5m for Remain

Old buggers dont have Computers!!!
  • Options
    As Brexit gets more surreal, the former Italian Prime Minister has quoted the Spice Girls in support of his argument that Britain needs to rethink:

https://www.ft.com/content/bff3e90a-4c8f-11e9-bde6-79eaea5acb64
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

No Brexit is better than a bad Brexit.
  • Options
    Only remainers want another go...

https://twitter.com/ConorBurnsUK/status/1109129647265062912

OH, hang on a minute:

The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681
  • Options

Genuine question.

when the EU say the current deal is the only deal they can offer and only one possible - is that based on TMay's red-lines basis OR is it the case even if Jezza (but actually Starmer) were doing the negotiations? if the latter then this CCU stuff is as pointless as the unicorns and owls isn't it?
    No because the WA is unaffected just that a #CCU that we know the EU will accept is added to PD
  • Options

As Brexit gets more surreal, the former Italian Prime Minister has quoted the Spice Girls in support of his argument that Britain needs to rethink:

That we need to zig-a-zig-a?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

There's one from Survation (11.01.19) suggesting Conservative voters would prefer May's Deal to No Deal by 50/37. It's Table 35.

https://www.survation.com/archive/2019-2/

As far as I can tell, support for No Deal, May's Deal, and Brexit generally runs at 70-75% among Conservative voters, among a range of pollsters.

All but half a dozen Conservative MPs know they've got to deliver some form of Brexit if they want to satisfy their voters.

Following on, here you have support for Brexit among Conservatives ranging from 70% for May's Deal, to 72% for No Deal, to 74% to Brexit in general.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/26b2mrd7yn/PeoplesVote_March19th_SnapPoll_final_updated_w.pdf

Provisionally, I'd conclude that Conservative voters are fairly relaxed about the form that Brexit takes, so long as it takes place.
  • Options

As the Spice Girls sang: “Now don’t go wasting my precious time/Get your act together we could be just fine”.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

That is indeed the song he references, though he doesn't ask us to tell him what we want, what we really really want.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019

Leavers are less likely to be online of course, so it's not a level playing field.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Sounds like a big anti-terrorist operation in Germany has been going down today,

https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/frankfurt-hessen-sek-einsatz-nied-heusingerstrasse-zr-11876564.html
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

The U boat captain taking down names for later retribution after final victory could be any number of Brexitloons. Just for his prickly humorlessness and laffs, I'll go for Hannan.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

But Richard, it is your problem not Remainers'. Remainers don't have any interest in seeing Brexit work.
    Which completely undermines everything you said in your article. Are you sure you don't have a split personality?
  • Options

Genuine question.

The red lines primarily effect the PD, not the WA which is about settling debts and the backstop - which is a function of the red lines. So loosening of the PD would delight the EU - and depending on how loose, may substantially reduce the need for or eliminate the backstop.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Pulpstar, stop right now, thank you very much.

[As an aside, Ginger Spice is now married to Red Bull team principal Christian Horner].
  • Options

That is indeed the song he references, though he doesn't ask us to tell him what we want, what we really really want.
    To be honest i'd rather 'slam my body down and wind it all around'....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

We will take part in the election. The 12 April decision will be to extend on the conditions the EU has set, including participation in the election.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Leavers are less likely to be online of course, so it's not a level playing field.
    Shome mistake surely? I thought Leavers spent all day looking at Russian-funded FB ads for No Deal?
  • Options

Which completely undermines everything you said in your article. Are you sure you don't have a split personality?
    It is the winners' responsibility to establish a consensus. You cannot expect the losers to set the parameters for that or work towards it until the winners see the need for it. They still don't.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

We will take part in the election. The 12 April decision will be to extend on the conditions the EU has set, including participation in the election.
    And where is the enabling bill to take part in the EU elections
  • Options

This is certainly true now but in the immediate aftermath of the referendum things were different. At that stage few remainers thought the decision could be reversed and I think an attempt by May to seek consensus would have been likely to have borne fruit. But that would have involved her dumping the ERG and risking a split in the Tory Party and, as we know, her instinct has always been to put party before country.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Sounds like a big anti-terrorist operation in Germany has been going down today,

https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/frankfurt-hessen-sek-einsatz-nied-heusingerstrasse-zr-11876564.html

Which flavour of terrorist is it, Pepe or Achmed ?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1109103457103945728

And who can blame them.

She's had a chance. MPs need to seize this now, and ignore her. In office but not in power.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

If I were the EU hierarchy, I would be channelling Laocoön: Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. The idea of a cohort of British MEPs creating havoc in the European Parliament would appal me.
  • Options
    7 flavours of Brexit !

• Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

Could be rushed through in 24 hours, all the systems needed are there, it has even been rumoured that the Electoral Commission has started planning. Elections can be run very speedily in the UK - before FTPA the formal timetable for a general election could be less than 3 weeks. In Feb 1974 polling day was exactly 3 weeks after the announcement of the election.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

If I were the EU hierarchy, I would be channelling Laocoön: Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. The idea of a cohort of British MEPs creating havoc in the European Parliament would appal me.
    democracy is messy, deal with it.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, stop right now, thank you very much.

[As an aside, Ginger Spice is now married to Red Bull team principal Christian Horner].

Geri Halliwell looks far, far better now than she did then. She is like a fine wine – she gets better with age.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Sean_F said:

Accidental No Deal remains a real possibility, if the Commons cannot agree anything.

If MPs want anything other than the May Deal or No Deal they will have to replace her with a new PM who is both willing and able to negotiate a Brexit that looks suspiciously like Labour's policy. That can logically only be Jeremy Corbyn. And therefore I can't see it. I can only see 2 outcomes.

(i) No deal exit on 12/4.

(ii) Exit on 22/5 via the WA only (with the PD put on ice pending further talks).

And either way, a new Tory leader and a GE in the summer.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Off topic: Railway chaos in Manchester this afternoon. At least I'm now on the move, and unlike plenty of folk on this TPExpress service I have a seat.
  • Options
    Will there be a legal action available if we're denied MEPs and we're still in the EU during the time ?
    I'd like a representation on stuff like Article 13 ta very much if we're in the club.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

Could be rushed through in 24 hours, all the systems needed are there, it has even been rumoured that the Electoral Commission has started planning. Elections can be run very speedily in the UK - before FTPA the formal timetable for a general election could be less than 3 weeks. In Feb 1974 polling day was exactly 3 weeks after the announcement of the election.
    Needs majority for it in the HOC. ERG would do everything to sabotage it
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    kinabalu said:

Agree with much of the Header but in one important respect I don't.

I view May's Deal as the platform for a 'softish' Brexit that neither panders to Hard Leavers nor tramples roughshod over Remainers.

The only legally binding part of the Deal is the WA, which via the Backstop steers to a closely aligned Future Relationship.

This displeases Hard Leavers, being less than a clean break, and it displeases Hard Remainers, being less than staying in the EU.

It is, in other words, just the sort of compromise that one would have hoped and expected the government to have negotiated.

+1 If it is wrecked I'm strongly for revoke.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Apparently passed in 2002 if I am reading this right

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1109136096770883586
  • Options
  • Options

Off topic: Railway chaos in Manchester this afternoon. At least I'm now on the move, and unlike plenty of folk on this TPExpress service I have a seat.

Failing Grayling again?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    No prizes for guessing what our CLP had a motion on last month. Special prize for guessing the previous month's topic...
This discussion has been closed.