Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited March 2019 in General

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919
    Premier?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526
    second panther!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Hancock is just so not up to his present job, let alone PM. I really don't understand the interest in him at all.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited March 2019
    I like this "vote for my thing or I won't resign" move, pioneered by Naoto Kan for his renewable energy bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MauX8r7eU

In parliament there are quite a few people who don't want to see my face any more.

Do you really not want to see it?
    Do you *really* not want to see it?
    Do you **really** not want to see it?
    In that case you'd better get moving and pass this bill...

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Good morning. On their indicative vote market, which did ladbrokes pay out on? Most ayes or closest to winning?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Go. Fourth.
  • Options
    What have I missed with the 'panther' description?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hancock is just so not up to his present job, let alone PM. I really don't understand the interest in him at all.

He is really lame as Health Secretary, but not much more useless than most of the cabinet.
  • Options

What have I missed with the 'panther' description?

We panthers are punters or vice versa.
  • Options
    There was some speculation yesterday that the DUP might simply abstain in MV3. Their statement didn't indicate that but if they did does anyone have a feel for whether enough ERG members have now changed their position?
    Last time out May lost by 149. 10 abstentions brings the margin of defeat down to 139. That means 70 switchers. That seems a lot.
  • Options
    The weird thing about this is that assuming TMay's main concern is to hang on to her job, which I think is a safe assumption, her goal now becomes preventing parliament from passing her deal.

I think the best way is to let parliament have some more votes about the Customs Union, stall for a couple of weeks so it's too late to do anything else before the deadline except schedule European elections, then ask for an 18-month extension to work through the Customs Union option.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

He is really lame as Health Secretary, but not much more useless than most of the cabinet.
    I would put him one step ahead of the likes of Fox and two ahead of Grayling, roughly around the Leadsom level. But Javid, Gove, Hunt, even Hammond and Rudd are still several steps ahead. I just don't see how he gets in the reckoning.

It's a bit like Raab. The man is supposedly highly intelligent but my goodness, he hides it well.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    DavidL said:

There was some speculation yesterday that the DUP might simply abstain in MV3. Their statement didn't indicate that but if they did does anyone have a feel for whether enough ERG members have now changed their position?
    Last time out May lost by 149. 10 abstentions brings the margin of defeat down to 139. That means 70 switchers. That seems a lot.

Why would the DUP abstain and let something they completely and utterly dislike go through...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I would put him one step ahead of the likes of Fox and two ahead of Grayling, roughly around the Leadsom level. But Javid, Gove, Hunt, even Hammond and Rudd are still several steps ahead. I just don't see how he gets in the reckoning.

It's a bit like Raab. The man is supposedly highly intelligent but my goodness, he hides it well.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Why would the DUP abstain and let something they completely and utterly dislike go through...
    Well bribery probably. Also future extortion is dependent upon them retaining the balance of power and the possibility of a GE where they are very unlikely to hit the current sweet spot has increased markedly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

Good morning. On their indicative vote market, which did ladbrokes pay out on? Most ayes or closest to winning?

Most yes votes. Which was the confirmatory referendum. I suspect the bookmaker did well out of that one.
  • Options

The weird thing about this is that assuming TMay's main concern is to hang on to her job, which I think is a safe assumption, her goal now becomes preventing parliament from passing her deal.

I think the best way is to let parliament have some more votes about the Customs Union, stall for a couple of weeks so it's too late to do anything else before the deadline except schedule European elections, then ask for an 18-month extension to work through the Customs Union option.

She has two days remaining to seize control of events - and you'd think that now her resignation is nailed on in all circumstances (her clinging on for ages isn't realistic now), she would be liberated to move away from her red lines, and champion a compromise solution through to agreement. Her red lines were based on a manifesto that didn't win the election and has significantly been abandoned anyway.

But sadly I fear she as neither the skill nor the imagination.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    Matthew Hancock always reminds me of the Conservative MP from Knowing Me Knowing You

https://youtu.be/jUTH7TDqp48
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Well bribery probably. Also future extortion is dependent upon them retaining the balance of power and the possibility of a GE where they are very unlikely to hit the current sweet spot has increased markedly.
    Spot on.
  • Options
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_P said:
    Boris Johnson really had a remarkably bad day yesterday.
  • Options
    Fear not folks, we have Rebecca Long-Bailey coming on Radio 4 to explain everything to us all.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Next to Fianna Fáil, they're the most venial party in Western Europe.
  • Options

Little did they know in March 2019 that Theresa May would go on to become one of longest serving PMs of the C21
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    As others have mentioned, WA + referendum seems a plausible way forward for many Tories. The paradox is that they'd probably have to get rid of May to achieve that vote on her own deal, on previous form.
  • Options
    isam said:

Matthew Hancock always reminds me of the Conservative MP from Knowing Me Knowing You

https://youtu.be/jUTH7TDqp48

I think it goes back to a header from a while back that suggested that the number of MPs who voted against May was a good proxy for how many would back a fairly hard Brexiteer. If that still holds, hard to see how anyone who has not been associated with a fairly hard line stance does not become leader because 100+ MPs coalescing behind a candidate would surely get them through to the second round.

The question is who is that candidate.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    I think you're all being unfair on Boris.

He effectively decided to stop being in the Cabinet for no reason.

This was clearly in the national interest.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    DavidL said:

The DUP believed the Tory hard Brexiteers when they said No to Vassalage. Now Johnson, Rees-Mogg and the rest that motley crew have done a volte face, the DUP are left on their own. So the ERG have sold their "principles" in vain. So they might as well go back to them. They have nothing left but betrayal. May's Deal looks more dead than ever from where I'm standing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:
    An opportunist who is bad at opportunism, because he's so obviously unprincipled. Good opportunists are semi-principled.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

Fear not folks, we have Rebecca Long-Bailey coming on Radio 4 to explain everything to us all.

How did she ever get into Parliament? I mean, I know we've got plenty of MPs who are rude, plenty who are stupid, plenty who are lazy , plenty who are arrogant and condescending, plenty who have never lived in the real world or done a day's work and plenty who have no clue what they're talking about. But even Chris Grayling doesn't combine the lot quite so impressively as she does.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

I think even with the DUP on board there are over 30 unreconciled Tories. Read the account of Steve Baker addressing the ERG and ask yourself how likely he is to change what we can politely call his mind. He is far from alone.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

It's a problem. I am a Unionist not just for Scotland but also for NI. But boy, do they make loving NI being a part of the UK hard. From their medieval social attitudes, their bigotry and their greed they are just an embarrassment and a lot less British than they like to think they are.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

I am not sure Bercow did himself any favours either...

https://twitter.com/EliotWilson2/status/1111171200791863296
  • Options
    F1: There are none listed currently but there is a category on the Ladbrokes Exchange on Special for the Bahrain Grand Prix. Sometimes in the past these have been worth considering, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. If they're not up pre-practice I'd expect them between FP3 and qualifying.

Just to repeat, I put a tiny sum on Leclerc each way (13, 14 with boost, and a fifth the odds top 3) to 'win' first practice.

On the political front, it's now 1.72 on us holding 2019 Euro elections. This lengthening, from about 1.5, seems likely to be down to the potentially increased chance of May's deal passing, if it actually gets to that stage.

However, I haven't been online much since yesterday evening so I could well have missed something important in that regard.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think even with the DUP on board there are over 30 unreconciled Tories. Read the account of Steve Baker addressing the ERG and ask yourself how likely he is to change what we can politely call his mind. He is far from alone.
    That's the way I see it and finding anything like enough Labour MPs to overcome that is very hard. At the moment it seems that DUP abstention would not be enough and May's deal still fails. We really are in the last chance saloon here.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

DavidL said:

And most of the rest only switched on the assumption that May's Deal will pass. Once that assumption falls way they will go back to their original position.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

I don't think it's a safe assumption at all, in fact I think she's entirely over the whole thing and if given a plausible win to allow her to declare "job done" she'd happily give it up in a second.

Utterly thankless task.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    IanB2 said:

This thread will

resign

if you vote for the next one
    The PB comparable to the Maybot MV would be OGH demanding full follicular resplendence or the next thread will self combust.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited March 2019
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

How did she ever get into Parliament? I mean, I know we've got plenty of MPs who are rude, plenty who are stupid, plenty who are lazy , plenty who are arrogant and condescending, plenty who have never lived in the real world or done a day's work and plenty who have no clue what they're talking about. But even Chris Grayling doesn't combine the lot quite so impressively as she does.
    Laura Pidcock is worse.
  • Options
    As someone else said here recently, as soon as possible the DUP should be told to sort about a Norn administration, and in the meantime proposals would be laid before the HoC to extend the current Gay Marriage and Abortion regulations in the rest of the UK to N. Ireland as soon as.
    If a Norn Administartion was formed within one calendar month no further action would be taken by the HoC, but if it wasn't then the proposals would be proceeded with and arrangements made to hold a Referendum on Re-unification with the rest of Ireland.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

And most of the rest only switched on the assumption that May's Deal will pass. Once that assumption falls way they will go back to their original position.
    Making them look incredibly stupid today - see Rees-Mogg, and probably Boris after a while, too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited March 2019

DavidL said:

He's now my second best runner for next PM after John McDonnell. Lidington 3rd.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I think maybe somebody posted this already but if so here it is again because it's so great.

https://twitter.com/MShepheard/status/1111167940911656960

In particular, look down the bottom at the abstentions, which tell you where there may be extra votes to get stuff over the line.
  • Options

I think maybe somebody posted this already but if so here it is again because it's so great.

In particular, look down the bottom at the extensions, which tell you where there may be extra votes to get stuff over the line.

Underlines that if May whips something other than her deal, we get out of this deadlock.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The DUP believed the Tory hard Brexiteers when they said No to Vassalage. Now Johnson, Rees-Mogg and the rest that motley crew have done a volte face, the DUP are left on their own. So the ERG have sold their "principles" in vain. So they might as well go back to them. They have nothing left but betrayal. May's Deal looks more dead than ever from where I'm standing.
    Assuming Bercow let's her bring it back ("I'm sorry but the Prime Minister offering her resignation doesn't change the substance of the deal") it's still going down to a chunky defeat. Now that No Surrender has been declared in Norniron I have to assume that Mogg won't be the only recent reluctant convert now saying he will stick with voting against.

The indicative votes yesterday are also likely to come back, but unless there is a clear and unambiguous support for something that May is willing to do, then we're still wasting our time. No deal remains on the table as the default outcome until the law is changed. Revoke remains on the table as it's mirror image alternative. Any other option is just hot air at this stage with very little time left to bring to life
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DavidL said:

Hancock as the shortest term in office as Prime Minister - Headline Gold :

"Hancock's Half Hour" - A Classic Comedy Returns
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Most yes votes. Which was the confirmatory referendum. I suspect the bookmaker did well out of that one.
    thanks, and yes I'm sure they did. so on those rules CU could actually have won and they'd still have paid out on deal referendum? that would have caused some argument unless their rules were crystal clear.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

F1: There are none listed currently but there is a category on the Ladbrokes Exchange on Special for the Bahrain Grand Prix. Sometimes in the past these have been worth considering, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. If they're not up pre-practice I'd expect them between FP3 and qualifying.

Just to repeat, I put a tiny sum on Leclerc each way (13, 14 with boost, and a fifth the odds top 3) to 'win' first practice....

He might be a better long odds punt for pole.
    FP1 will be held in much hotter conditions, which won’t suit Ferrari at all, unless they have completely sorted their tyre problems. And if they have, then the pole bet would be a decent one anyway.

• Options
    edited March 2019

IanB2 said:

thanks, and yes I'm sure they did. so on those rules CU could actually have won and they'd still have paid out on deal referendum? that would have caused some argument unless their rules were crystal clear.
    Indeed. I went back to look and it wasn't clear at all from the betting page.

The fact that all the tips on here were for the CU/CM soft options and a second referendum actually got most votes is interesting in itself. Clearly PB'ers underestimated the appetite for Ref2
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

You sure know how to conjure up an appealing vista of the country’s future.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Jonathan said:

Little did they know in March 2019 that Theresa May would go on to become one of longest serving PMs of the C21
    When will Theresa May go? That is the question.

Are the newspaper front pages right or wrong? They assume her departure is imminent but after the indicative votes all fell, as @edmundintokyo notes, her pledge to go after her deal is passed is even more open-ended than her prior pledge to retire before the next election, which she later rowed back from, saying she meant the 2022 election and not any snap election she might herself call.

Can the Cabinet force her out? Do they want to? Can they agree the coronation of a successor because it will be argued there is no time for a long, drawn out contest, and unless a caretaker can be agreed, some ministers will be better off waiting? What do backbenchers think? Again there were reports of desk-banging at the 1922.

They fall for it every time.
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

Hancock as the shortest term in office as Prime Minister - Headline Gold :

"Hancock's Half Hour" - A Classic Comedy Returns
    Presumably that is what PMQs would be rebranded if he succeeds so far beyond his ability.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Underlines that if May whips something other than her deal, we get out of this deadlock.

Yup. Unfortunately if we get out of this deadlock then she's out of a job, so get used to the treacle...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That's the way I see it and finding anything like enough Labour MPs to overcome that is very hard. At the moment it seems that DUP abstention would not be enough and May's deal still fails. We really are in the last chance saloon here.
    I’m afraid the bar has closed now, I think. I suspect Britain’s future now can be found among the more successful indicative votes yesterday.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

Maybe the DUP would vote for WA + CU plus a commitment for the UK Government not to diverge away from them in market regs + a bung?

That would allow Brexit, and satisfy their voters, whilst keeping NI v.tightly bound to the UK in the longer term too.

So, I could see a situation where the DUP back it and the ERG hardcore don't, which would be rather funny.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Assuming Bercow let's her bring it back ("I'm sorry but the Prime Minister offering her resignation doesn't change the substance of the deal") it's still going down to a chunky defeat. Now that No Surrender has been declared in Norniron I have to assume that Mogg won't be the only recent reluctant convert now saying he will stick with voting against.

The indicative votes yesterday are also likely to come back, but unless there is a clear and unambiguous support for something that May is willing to do, then we're still wasting our time. No deal remains on the table as the default outcome until the law is changed. Revoke remains on the table as it's mirror image alternative. Any other option is just hot air at this stage with very little time left to bring to life
    Yup - and as I've thought for almost two years now, I think it will come down to which option is least painful for the tories. No-deal or revocation without a referendum guarantees huge damage ; a referendum on May's deal is comparatively uncertain in outcome.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    If you ran a bar and the house band was Coldplay, if you ask them to do Anarchy in the UK, don’t expect it to sound like the Sex Pistols. The only way out is to accept their version or convince the rest of the owners to employ Johnny Rotten & Sid Vicious (who didn’t play on the original/is dead, but bear with me), despite them hating the song & punk music generally.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

He's intelligent and a first grade policy manager, but sadly he looks about 17 and has no presence.

I'm not looking to back him.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I’m afraid the bar has closed now, I think. I suspect Britain’s future now can be found among the more successful indicative votes yesterday.
    May's deal +CU seems to me the obvious way forward. Not what I would have chosen but we are getting to the point that any progress in any direction would be welcome.

Edit I also suspect that this is what Bercow is working towards. May's deal +CU= materially different, anything else not so much.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is there a photo of him signing the other letter? ;)
  • Options
    Mr. B, I was pondering that. Mercedes were miles ahead in Australia, but I checked last year's result, and they were then too, but lost Bahrain qualifying to both Ferraris. It's difficult to call.
  • Options
    isam said:

If you ran a bar and the house band was Coldplay, if you ask them to do Anarchy in the UK, don’t expect it to sound like the Sex Pistols. The only way out is to accept their version or convince the rest of the owners to employ Johnny Rotten & Sid Vicious (who didn’t play on the original/is dead, but bear with me), despite them hating the song & punk music generally.

I like that analogy a lot.
  • Options

In particular, look down the bottom at the abstentions, which tell you where there may be extra votes to get stuff over the line.

Yeah that chart isn't great news for the "confirmatory referendum" lot. Customs & Common Market 2.0 looking better than their initial Ayes.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

In particular, look down the bottom at the extensions, which tell you where there may be extra votes to get stuff over the line.

More likely if the SNP can be persuaded of the, temporary at least, 'merits' of a Customs Union
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Jonathan said:

The huge blue blocks for no deal might be fertile fishing grounds, if backbenchers have unrealistic ideas of what no deal entails; in other words, if MPs are voting to block particular deals rather than because -- as will be the case for some -- they see beneficial effects of no deal.

Trouble is that would need Theresa May actually to reach out to her opponents behind her and persuade them, rather than merely parroting her lines of the past two and a half years.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. I went back to look and it wasn't clear at all from the betting page.

The fact that all the tips on here were for the CU/CM soft options and a second referendum actually got most votes is interesting in itself. Clearly PB'ers underestimated the appetite for Ref2
    Referendum got all the SNP and LDs onside I think assuming remain would be on the ballot. they all abstained on the CU.

Edit. I'd have been backing the CU option but they closed my account last year so that's some money saved!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Hancock would be a great leader of what’s left of the Cameroon wing of the Tory party, but the idea that he could bridge the gap with the ERG ultras is unlikely. The best thing for the Tory party and the rest of us would be to choose a direction and split.

The task for May is simple, amend her deal to account for the customs union and/or a vote and whip that. That would pass the Bercow test and provide a reason to unite both sides of the house. She would lose her ultras, but that is a good thing for her and her successor.

May gets to decide what the Tory party will look like for a generation. Moderate and pragmatic or uncompromising and theological.

• Options

Jonathan said:

More likely if the SNP can be persuaded of the, temporary at least, 'merits' of a Customs Union
    Yeah they've gone totally all out hard remain. Plaid seem to be more willing to compromise here.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Steve Baker and Nigel Dodds are now my 2nd and 3rd favourite politicians after Lenin.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Sorry to ask again has anyone seen a list of the 105 who voted against the SI?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:
    An opportunist who is bad at opportunism, because he's so obviously unprincipled. Good opportunists are semi-principled.
    Hold on. I yield to no one in my view of BoJo as an utter tosser but his mind has changed. As have the facts.

Part of the secret of bringing the ERG on board was to give them honourable cover to row back. Not so easy if we then vilify them for doing so.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Looking at the indicative votes and yesterday, I wonder whether we could come down to a situation where May's withdrawal agreement + customs union is the choice of the more Brexit-ish wings of both the tory and labour parties, and May's deal + referendum might be the choice of the more remainy wings. May would probably have to go for either of these options to be carried forward, though, obviously, and there's not much time to get all this through.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yeah that chart isn't great news for the "confirmatory referendum" lot. Customs & Common Market 2.0 looking better than their initial Ayes.
    The question for Monday is whether if options are combined - for example a confirmatory referendum on a deal with a CU - do you build support by bringing together the supporters of both, or lose people by giving them more to object to?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Last night he took back control of the ERG.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited March 2019
    Can't we just lock all the doors, set fire to the place and tell them they're not coming out until they pass the deal?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    There's the small detail of the EU election to come. What defines whether we're a full member for MEP purposes? Time is running out fast.
  • Options
    trawl said:

Sorry to ask again has anyone seen a list of the 105 who voted against the SI?

Yes, I was looking at it this morning. There is a full list on the Hansard website
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

I just think that if the PM genuinely wants to get her deal through, and she recognises she's on the way out regardless (neither of which is a given) she tells the country and the house that Friday's MV3 vote is a confidence one. How many Con MPs vote against then? Almost none, maybe just Ken Clarke. What do the DUP do? I think abstain. How much do TIG fancy an early election? About as much as they fancied by-elections. She still needs some Labour leavers to switch or abstain, but it's her only real shot.

PS I don't think she will do this.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

There's the small detail of the EU election to come. What defines whether we're a full member for MEP purposes? Time is running out fast.

The UK is a full member for MEP purposes if it requests and gets an extension. To request and get an extension it has to agree to have the elections. There is no non-full kind of member for MEP purposes.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Jonathan said:

Hancock would be a great leader of what’s left of the Cameroon wing of the Tory party, but the idea that he could bridge the gap with the ERG ultras is unlikely. The best thing for the Tory party and the rest of us would be to choose a direction and split.

The task for May is simple, amend her deal to account for the customs union and/or a vote and whip that. That would pass the Bercow test and provide a reason to unite both sides of the house. She would lose her ultras, but that is a good thing for her and her successor.

May gets to decide what the Tory party will look like for a generation. Moderate and pragmatic or uncompromising and theological.

It is difficult to see why May should whip for options she doesn’t like and are unpopular in the Conservative Party, simply because she is in Government. You could just as easily insist that Corbyn should whip his MPs for eg. the deal.

At best I think she might have to offer a free vote and see what happens.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Last night he took back control of the ERG.
    I didn’t say it was a bad bet.
  • Options

I wonder who was the single Tory voting for Labour's plan? And their chances of getting to stand again as a Tory in the next election?
  • Options
    Drutt said:

DavidL said:

I just think that if the PM genuinely wants to get her deal through, and she recognises she's on the way out regardless (neither of which is a given) she tells the country and the house that Friday's MV3 vote is a confidence one. How many Con MPs vote against then? Almost none, maybe just Ken Clarke. What do the DUP do? I think abstain. How much do TIG fancy an early election? About as much as they fancied by-elections. She still needs some Labour leavers to switch or abstain, but it's her only real shot.

I didn’t know there was the ability to make any vote a confidence one under the FTPA. Another Cameron triumph.

• Options
    alex. said:

Jonathan said:

It is difficult to see why May should whip for options she doesn’t like and are unpopular in the Conservative Party, simply because she is in Government. You could just as easily insist that Corbyn should whip his MPs for eg. the deal.

It’s called compromise. An old fashioned concept. May whips a CU, gives enough people a reason to support the deal, which thereby passes. She then retires having passed Brexit. We move on.

The Conservative party needs to swallow its pride and bend a bit if it is to get its deal.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Jonathan said:

Because the government is supposed to be in office.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Edmund,

Thank you. So if we hold the EU elections and eventually leave, the MEPs automatically resign? Why then, are the EU so fussed?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

I wonder who was the single Tory voting for Labour's plan? And their chances of getting to stand again as a Tory in the next election?
    So the SNP abstained on the Customs Union option, which would have passed easily had they supported it. Presumably tactical?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Jonathan said:

It’s called compromise. An old fashioned concept. May whips a CU, gives enough people a reason to support the deal, which thereby passes. She then retires having passed Brexit. We move on.

The risk is that adding a CU into the already toxic brew of the fucking shit deal creates more tory recusants.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Drutt said:

DavidL said:

If she tried that there would surely be some sort of wrecking amendment attached that states that the vote becomes purely a confidence vote and that the MV3 aspect is neutered, can't see MPs letting her get it through that easily
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Drutt said:

DavidL said:

But this isn't possible under the FTPA.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,064
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

It's a problem. I am a Unionist not just for Scotland but also for NI. But boy, do they make loving NI being a part of the UK hard. From their medieval social attitudes, their bigotry and their greed they are just an embarrassment and a lot less British than they like to think they are.
    They've been enabled every step of the way by the British state, they may not seem 'British' to Liberal types in Britain but they are a British creation. Until relatively recently (ie we'll within living memory) what you regard as their bigotry was the officially sanctioned policy of the British-sponsored statelet that they ran. It's a bit late to be embarrassed by them now.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

'twas our friend Ken Clarke. As I recall his view - as he said in the debate - was to support all the options that were better than a hard exit.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

alex. said:

Jonathan said:

..and also because the only other option to a custom's union with her deal might be a referendum on her deal, which she wants even less.
  • Options

It was ............................... Ken Clarke !
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

alex. said:

Jonathan said:

If Parliament is running the show I don’t see why Government ministers should have less freedom in how to vote than anyone else. It’s one thing for them not to be whipped against something with which they disagree (aka free vote) but realistically they can’t be whipped for it.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

The risk is that adding a CU into the already toxic brew of the fucking shit deal creates more tory recusants.
    The key to resolving this however is gaining opposition support to outweigh the Tory no surrender brigade. Any option that attracts significant opposition support can afford to lose some more Tories.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Jonathan said:

She has done this once, in favour of the Brady amendment, which passed. I don't think she will do it again. We need a new Prime Minister, one who will leads a government for either a Customs Union or a second referendum. Somehow this PM needs to be the leader of the Conservative Party.

I don't know if this can happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    CD13 said:

Mr Edmund,

Thank you. So if we hold the EU elections and eventually leave, the MEPs automatically resign? Why then, are the EU so fussed?

They're not fussed, they're pretty much cool with it. There's a minor downside that if the UK has left before the next elections everyone gets a few more seats, but it's not a lot as most of them are being held back for new EU entrants rather than redistributed. The idea that the elections made things impossible was mainly pushed by people on the British side who didn't want an extension, and wanted people to think that an extension was procedurally difficult.

But what they're worried about is that the UK doesn't hold the elections because it plans to leave, then fails to get its shit together and actually leave, and they end up with a parliament that doesn't have all the MEPs it's supposed to have, and arguably isn't legitimate. TMay tried to weaponize this possibility by selecting an (extended) exit date that was after the scheduled date of the elections, so she could say to MPs that they *had* to pass her deal, because a further extension was prevented by the lack of UK MEPs. But the EU understandably decided that if she wanted to play chicken with her parliament they weren't going to let her do it with theirs, and insisted on either an early exit date (April 12th) or a late one well past the elections, and a proper commitment to hold them.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

The key to resolving this however is gaining opposition support to outweigh the Tory no surrender brigade. Any option that attracts significant opposition support can afford to lose some more Tories.
    Why didn’t the SNP or LibDems support the CU option?
This discussion has been closed.