Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where we are now summed up in two betting Tweets

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where we are now summed up in two betting Tweets

?? Latest Brexit Odds ??1/3 UK holds European Elections in May8/11 2019 General Election2/1 2019 Referendum2/1 UK leaves with NO DEAL on April 12th

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    edited March 2019
    First. Unlike May's deal.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    MV4 is the one. Or maybe MV5. Perhaps MV6.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,910
    edited March 2019
    Second..... no Third! But possibly well in front of some Conservative candidates at the forthcoming GE.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Jonathan said:

We need official MV3 first.
  • Options
    Don’t see how we avoid a GE this year still, but in fairness that is a lesser consideration than what will happen in the next 2 weeks. Pinning hopes on Customs Union now I guess.

Although MV2.5 has received more votes than anything else so far. It is the most popular, technically. But not the least unpopular.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Was today's events "the Never Say Never Again" of Meaningful Votes. Not official and a remake of MV2.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,243
    edited March 2019
    I'm expecting a general election on May 23rd or May 30th.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Don’t see how we avoid a GE this year still, but in fairness that is a lesser consideration than what will happen in the next 2 weeks. Pinning hopes on Customs Union now I guess.

Although MV2.5 has received more votes than anything else so far. It is the most popular, technically. But not the least unpopular.

We could have 4 Prime Ministers this year.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

May 23rd would be interesting and potentially complicated as it would be concurrent with European Parliamentary elections were we to extend and hold them.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Maybe May should try to grab a friendly deputy speaker, and however many members constitute a quorum and hold a Robber’s Parliament across the road before any other members can come by and vote down her deal again. Worked for the second council of ephesus.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    Andrew said:
    "It's going in the right direction" bless!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

One would be nice.
  • Options

23rd; Coinciding with the Euros?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

Maybe May should try to grab a friendly deputy speaker, and however many members constitute a quorum and hold a Robber’s Parliament across the road before any other members can come by and vote down her deal again. Worked for the second council of ephesus.

Bercow being abducted for a couple of days would be very helpful next week.

He has screwed with this for long enough.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Which answers the question DavidL had about what the point of today was - to show momentum and support for this option above the indicative vote options.

Not sure that will work, but in any case won’t the government need to come off the fence and not abstain on Monday? And can they be sure how all their Cabinet members will vote?
  • Options
    What do we know about the next stage of the Letwin Process?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002
    Andrew said:
    I don't think people have registered yet how limited the choices are. The Letwin process is almost an irrelevance, unless it produces a majority for a second referendum to justify a long extension.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

It will be a fuck up?
  • Options
    Only 2/1 against No Deal on 12th April ?! Must be a lot less likely than that since both the EU and the HoC don't want it.
  • Options
    I reckon IDS and Boris would lose their seats in a snap election.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

"Meaningful Vote No. 3: There is no Meaningful Vote No.3"
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

kle4 said:

Bercow being abducted for a couple of days would be very helpful next week.

He has screwed with this for long enough.
    Surely you mean "years". "Days" seems hardly adequate.
  • Options

Makes a lot of sense.
  • Options

Popcorn, anyone?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Just messaged a friend who is an actual anarchist. "Your lot must be feeling pretty smug right now."
  • Options

Wouldn't that be fun.

Might also postpone the locals to the same date for fun.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited March 2019

What’s the latest date that Parliament would need to vote for a dissolution for that to happen?

23rd May would be strongly preferable. The absurdity of having to complete a ballot for the EU 3 years after we voted to leave will remind Leavers to vote Tory.
  • Options

It will be a fuck up?
    Surely that's the future of any option
  • Options

Popcorn, anyone?
    I'm diabetic, but I would do a jig if either of them lost their seats, I'd class both of them as Con Gains.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,701

Like the new logo
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Wouldn't that be fun.

And we could sort out the best crisp while we are at it.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Can't help thinking there will have been a majority in the HoC by this time next week for WA or WA+x

And we can all breathe easily again....

:-)
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

What’s the latest date that Parliament would need to vote for a dissolution for that to happen?

23rd May would be strongly preferable. The absurdity of having to complete a ballot for the EU 3 years after we voted to leave will remind Leavers to vote Tory.
    Or remind them what a mess the Tories have made.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

A fortnight next Tuesday for the 23rd, and a week later for the 30th.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    edited March 2019
    How long before one of the holdout Conservative MP's says that he didn't realise he was voting to stop Brexit?

I think that Steve Baker and Mark Francois have to be prevented from running again as Conservative candidates. In all likelihood, the Continuity Remainers' associations will do for them, without CCHQ intervention.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    On the European Parliament elections, can anyone advise; is any Parliamentary vote required to give the green light for UK elections? I just cannot believe there will be a majority for it.
  • Options

Only 2/1 against No Deal on 12th April ?! Must be a lot less likely than that since both the EU and the HoC don't want it.

Can the HoC and EU do a deal? I believe the EU can only talk to the govt. So it looks like revoke or No Deal
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

"The absurdity of having to complete a ballot for the EU 3 years after we voted to leave will remind Leavers to vote..." for the party that's been in government for that entire period.

Yeah right.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

How long before one of the holdout Conservative MP's says that he didn't realise he was voting to stop Brexit?

I think that Steve Baker and Mark Francois have to be prevented from running again as Conservative candidates. In all likelihood, the Continuity Remainers' associations will do for them, without CCHQ intervention.

• Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Does anyone see any chance of Betfair paying out on "No" for MV3? The rubric says "market voided if vote does not take place", but not until yesterday did they change the wording to specify that this must include the political declaration. It was originally explicit that MV3 was defined as a third vote *on the Withdrawal Agreement*. Which happened today.
  • Options

I think both would hold their seats. Both were around 50% Leave, and the Conservatives did well in both seats in local elections.
  • Options

Can the HoC and EU do a deal? I believe the EU can only talk to the govt. So it looks like revoke or No Deal
    Or delay.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002
    RH1992 said:

May 23rd would be interesting and potentially complicated as it would be concurrent with European Parliamentary elections were we to extend and hold them.
    It would presumably greatly decrease the cost of holding an EU election
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

One would be nice.
    Harsh but oh so fucking fair.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

For the majority of Leave voters, completing a ballot in a European election will be a novel experience. Many will be surprised to discover that such a thing exists.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

May's masterplan uncovered!
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

"The absurdity of having to complete a ballot for the EU 3 years after we voted to leave will remind Leavers to vote..." for the party that's been in government for that entire period.

Yeah right.
    I think it's pointless trying to predict how public opinion will move. All we know is that the government is shambolic, and Labour is despised.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think both would hold their seats. Both were around 50% Leave, and the Conservatives did well in both seats in local elections.
    I think a mixture of Brexit and Universal Credit puts IDS at risk.

Boris has managed to annoy both Leavers and Remainers today.
  • Options

Or delay.
    delay = revoke
  • Options

That would be fun.

LibDdems, Labour, TIGs, Greens, Plaid, SNP all squabbling for the Remain vote, Tories and assorted UKIP incarnations squabbling for the Leave vote.

I've thought for a while that an election was needed. But not under May. No way can she be put to the voters again. But then, neither can a stand in. But then, neither is there going to be another Tory coronation.

A Tory version of Battle Royal is required. All the contestants for Tory leader on Gruinard Island, with a selection of axes, crossbows, throwing knives, flamethrowers and broadswords. Last Man Standing gets to implement Brexit. Get a result within 24 hours.
  • Options

Like the new logo
    A reflection that the UK is now the home of what is probably the largest Pro EU movement in Europe.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    FPT Mr. B, cheers for posting that.

Bit busy over the weekend so I might be putting up the pre-qualifying tosh this evening rather than tomorrow.

Mr. F, quite.
  • Options

Like the new logo
    A reflection that the UK is now the home of what is probably the largest Pro EU movement in Europe.
    Could also serve as the template for future flags of the component states of the union - your old national flag within the EU flag.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

Sean_F said:

The thought of a Corbyn government horrifies me, but the idea of either of those two tossers losing their seats would be like Ed Balls losing his on steroids
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    I think it's pointless trying to predict how public opinion will move. All we know is that the government is shambolic, and Labour is despised.
    The difference being Labour will likely sweep the remain vote again, for the same reasons as last time.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    All across the land the hosts of Mordor raged.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,311

FPT Mr. B, cheers for posting that.

Bit busy over the weekend so I might be putting up the pre-qualifying tosh this evening rather than tomorrow.

Mr. F, quite.

Either Mercedes have some pace in hand, or they have gone into damage limitation mode - they didn't do a second qualifying sim, unlike Ferrari.
  • Options

Like the new logo
    ....and the largest anti-EU movement.

I love the idea of all the ProEU Movement agitating for an institution headed by Juncker, the sort of businessman they would ordinarily be, er, marching to have removed from office - for being an affront to all that was decent in the world they want to live in. But hey, IOKIYAE.

(It's OK If You're A Eurocrat)
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Or remind them what a mess the Tories have made.
    It might just remind some more open minded Leavers that voting leave was not in the country's best interest, and the only people it has served well was the country's enemies and detractors
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    The difference being Labour will likely sweep the remain vote again, for the same reasons as last time.
    Labour will gain the bulk of it, but there are also a lot of people who loathe Corbyn, even among Remainers, so I think their vote share will be well down on 2017.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The thought of a Corbyn government horrifies me, but the idea of either of those two tossers losing their seats would be like Ed Balls losing his on steroids
    The constituency result I liked the most was Mark Reckless losing in 2015, but this might top that.

Ditto Mark Francois, Steve Baker, and Andrew Bridgen losing, but I cannot see that happening.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited March 2019
    Would be massive upheaval to delay the local elections now. The formal campaign period has begun so election expenses have been triggered, all polling stations and their staff are booked, nominations have been accepted (still open), polling cards with official notices of the election are all out.

Chaos and primary legislation needed to change that this stage.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    The Conservatives called the 2017 election as the party of Brexit, telling people Labour wanted to stop it, thinking it was a 50% strategy. It turned out to be a 40% strategy that also boosted the opposition up to the same level.

Now it's become a 30-35% strategy, and they seem determined to make the same mistake again.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I still think they'd be polling 45-50%. That might be enough to lose, but I think probably not.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. B, hard to judge relative race pace between those two teams because Leclerc was ordered to back off and Vettel had gremlins in Oz, but right now I think Mercedes has the biggest qualifying boost (hence relatively weakest in the race), Ferrari are in the middle, and Red Bull are similar to Ferrari but a bit better (relative to qualifying) in the race.

If we end up with Ferrari-Mercedes-Red Bull in the race, I wonder if the Silver Arrows might end up going backwards.

Anyway, I'll check the odds sometime after 5pm.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited March 2019

Wouldn't that be fun.

Too late for locals, nominations in, the clock has already been started.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Would be massive upheaval to delay the local elections now. The formal campaign period has begun so election expenses have been triggered, all polling stations and their staff are booked, nominations have been accepted (still open), polling cards with official notices of the election are all out.

Chaos and primary legislation needed to change that this stage.

Chaos doesn't seem a problem for the present government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    Labour will gain the bulk of it, but there are also a lot of people who loathe Corbyn, even among Remainers, so I think their vote share will be well down on 2017.
    There are also people who really do not like Corbyn who now no longer care if he wins, like me. The Tories won’t get those votes. In my case it matters not since it is a safe seat but others...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    The Conservatives called the 2017 election as the party of Brexit, telling people Labour wanted to stop it, thinking it was a 50% strategy. It turned out to be a 40% strategy that also boosted the opposition up to the same level.

Now it's become a 30-35% strategy, and they seem determined to make the same mistake again.
    It would depend how well parties to the right of the Conservatives polled.

Right now, I think we'd be looking at another hung Parliament.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I still think they'd be polling 45-50%. That might be enough to lose, but I think probably not.
    I think it might come down to which minor parties don't stand.

You can see an angry UKIP/Brexit Party candidates screaming betrayal taking votes from IDS and Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    A GE in late May might, just might turn into a referendum. I can well imagine that in some place at least Remain, or Leave, parties might agree to put up a single candidate, a bit like Martin Bell vs Neil Hamilton.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Well, here is one Brexiteering sinner who abjectly repents, in so many ways. William Glenn was right and I was wrong. Brexit is undeliverable in any meaningful way that doesn’t severely damage the country.

Revote. Or revoke. We have been defeated.
  • Options

Like the new logo
    ....and the largest anti-EU movement.

I love the idea of all the ProEU Movement agitating for an institution headed by Juncker, the sort of businessman they would ordinarily be, er, marching to have removed from office - for being an affront to all that was decent in the world they want to live in. But hey, IOKIYAE.

(It's OK If You're A Eurocrat)
    And what is your opinion of Aaron Banks? Or the foreign advocates of Brexit, Vladimir Putin? Donald Trump? Personally I would prefer us to be aligned with the likes of Donald Tusk than any of these tossers
  • Options
    kfowkeskfowkes Posts: 20
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    I can see Labour winning up to 35-38% even with the TIG included.

They will take a bit of a hit in constituencies like Hove, Hampstead, Hornsey etc but the majorities they built up there are safe enough to begin with.

They may also take a further hit in the europhile seats in Edinburgh and Glasgow from the SNP.

However I can't see TIG doing Labour any damage whatsoever in northern marginals like High Peak, Colne Valley, Warrington S,,Keigley, Bury N et al where bread and butter issues were key and will be again at the next election.

Angela Smith's constituents were also completely scathing about her in Penistone in a recent guardian article.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

A GE in late May might, just might turn into a referendum. I can well imagine that in some place at least Remain, or Leave, parties might agree to put up a single candidate, a bit like Martin Bell vs Neil Hamilton.

That would frankly be a disgrace...it's not all about brexit... unless we then had a 'proper' GE later in year to re-set things.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited March 2019
    That list of Tory rebels is now 7 or 8 remainers, a dozen hard liners, and not many others.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Andrew said:
    By 'run-off' do they mean an either/or vote? Otherwise with 2 yes/no votes we could just end up with two more No votes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    Yes Remainers, you can stay in the EU. But under an anti-semite PM.....
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

All across the land the hosts of Mordor raged.

Against the dying of the light.
  • Options
    The Guardian is suggesting that 'there could be a run-off next week between MV3 and whatever the Letwin process produces'
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    I don’t think much of the public gives a shit about Jew baiting.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

Well, here is one Brexiteering sinner who abjectly repents, in so many ways. William Glenn was right and I was wrong. Brexit is undeliverable in any meaningful way that doesn’t severely damage the country.

What a pity all that money can’t buy you a backbone.
  • Options
    matt said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    Sadly!
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Can we read anything significant in fact it was brought this week despite destined to fail? Yes we can, look at the groups earlier saying “looking to bring it back this week” and those saying “only back if can win” and you can see which group is now controlling government. Significant because if you get any promises from the other group they are worthless.

If you don’t believe me, just see what happens next. I expect a “managed no deal” putsch

Brexiteers in and out of cabinet, in the party and their supporters in other parties and the media will go for managed no deal.

2.1. No deal. Cash in
  • Options
    kfowkes said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    I can see Labour winning up to 35-38% even with the TIG included.

They will take a bit of a hit in constituencies like Hove, Hampstead, Hornsey etc but the majorities they built up there are safe enough to begin with.

They may also take a further hit in the europhile seats in Edinburgh and Glasgow from the SNP.

However I can't see TIG doing Labour any damage whatsoever in northern marginals like High Peak, Colne Valley, Warrington S,,Keigley, Bury N et al where bread and butter issues were key and will be again at the next election.

Angela Smith's constituents were also completely scathing about her in Penistone in a recent guardian article.

The thing I think is going to be different from the last election is that people will believe there is a real chance Corbyn could be PM, whereas last time only his most naïve of supporters thought so. Voting Labour last time was somewhat a free hit against the idea of the much believed landslide of TMay.The reality of the most left wing government ever in the UK may be sobering for some.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Though at least he's capable of reasoning as well as emoting.
  • Options
    The EU hitting out hard against the failure today and ramping up no deal.

However, Varadkar seems to be in full panic mode and so he should be
  • Options
    dots said:

Can we read anything significant in fact it was brought this week despite destined to fail? Yes we can, look at the groups earlier saying “looking to bring it back this week” and those saying “only back if can win” and you can see which group is now controlling government. Significant because if you get any promises from the other group they are worthless.

If you don’t believe me, just see what happens next. I expect a “managed no deal” putsch

Brexiteers in and out of cabinet, in the party and their supporters in other parties and the media will go for managed no deal.

2.1. No deal. Cash in

Managed No Deal is an oxymoron.

Plus the EU have said the mini/sectoral deals are off the table.
  • Options

That list of Tory rebels is now 7 or 8 remainers, a dozen hard liners, and not many others.

Surely all of those are hardliners!?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Though at least he's capable of reasoning as well as emoting.
    Well he is applying the maxim of John Maynard Keynes that I mentioned earlier, and has gone up in my estimation because of it.
  • Options

3-line whip them into extinction.
  • Options

The EU hitting out hard against the failure today and ramping up no deal.

However, Varadkar seems to be in full panic mode and so he should be

Well, both positions can be understood.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You going all John of Gaunt on us ?

That England that was wont to conquer others
    Hath made a shameful conquest of itself...
  • Options

matt said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yeah right.
    Sadly!
    I think they do. It will be an issue that continues to damage Corbyn, and quite rightly so
  • Options
    I would dispute the easy bit, but it might be the easiest out of these options.

https://twitter.com/fleetstreetfox/status/1111663853060927488
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    edited March 2019
    2/1 a No Deal on 12 Apr?

That is Ladbrokes attempting to mug their customers without even bothering with the mask and the blunt instrument.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

15th April would be latest date for Dissolution to make an election possible on 23rd May. Probably preceded by a Parliamentary vote on 12th April.
This discussion has been closed.