Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Observer reporting that CON MPs would block TMay’s plan to cal

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Observer reporting that CON MPs would block TMay’s plan to call snap election

From the Sunday papers that we have now got in the Observer reports that Tory MPs would block the prime minister if she sought to call a general election. This has been heavily hinted at since the Brexit votes were lost on Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Colour me shocked.
  • AnotherEngineerAnotherEngineer Posts: 64
    edited March 2019
    She is bonkers. An election would solve nothing.
  • The Sunday Times front page, just wow.

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1112115699726585856
  • I suspect the Queen won't block soft Brexit unless she fancies going the way of Charles I.
  • Colour me shocked.

Sadly time for TM to go, and I have been loyal, but the loss of control demands a new interim leader
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Between parliament and the Tory party, plenty of stuff is NOT wanted.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    The Self-VONC route is nearly as good. Normally a government wouldn't do that because it risks looking chaotic and ridiculous, but at this point who are we kidding.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited March 2019
    The Cabinet wasn't close to collapse before?

A GE is a terrible, terrible idea. But when 170 Tories are now official no deal supporters, how does the government not collapse over any plan B options?

It's starting to really bum me out again - I really, really don't want a GE this year. Depressing stuff though - that so many Tories do not want one, which shows sense they don't normally have, is good, but most of the other options seem to lead down that way as well, even with the complexities of the process for triggering one.

Night all. All hail Letwin, and hope he pulls a rabbit from a hat.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

She is bonkers. An election would solve nothing.

Threatening an election might scare her MPs into backing whatever her alternative agenda is.
  • The Self-VONC route is nearly as good. Normally a government wouldn't do that because it risks looking chaotic and ridiculous, but at this point who are we kidding.

But it risks a GONU being appointed in those 14 days.
    Her Majesty clearly about to crash through the walls of Downing Street and mow those fuckers down

Colour me shocked.

Sadly time for TM to go, and I have been loyal, but the loss of control demands a new interim leader
    Who? And what control would they have?
  • kle4 said:

A GE is a terrible, terrible idea. But when 170 Tories are now official no deal supporters, how does the government not collapse over any plan B options?

It's starting to really bum me out again - I really, really don't want a GE this year. Depressing stuff though - that so many Tories do not want one, which shows sense they don't normally have, is good, but most of the other options seem to lead down that way as well, even with the complexities of the process for triggering one.

Brexit is a terrible idea but people still voted for it.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,469
    On the unrelated topic of grass seed and pheasants - thank you for the advice, but netting is not an option unless I want to do something more tedious than Brexit.; I have 2/3 acre garden and about 50 - 100 patches seeded. I'll be out there until we leave the EU.
  • Her Majesty clearly about to crash through the walls of Downing Street and mow those fuckers down
    Well there's some who are saying she should refuse to give Royal Assent to a soft Brexit.

kle4 said:

Don't remind me. And I know, that's why I still expect a GE even though it is a terrible idea.

The Self-VONC route is nearly as good. Normally a government wouldn't do that because it risks looking chaotic and ridiculous, but at this point who are we kidding.

But it risks a GONU being appointed in those 14 days.
    True.
  • She is bonkers. An election would solve nothing.

Threatening an election might scare her MPs into backing whatever her alternative agenda is.
    Banzai!

her alternative agenda

ahem
  • kle4 said:

Colour me shocked.

No idea but TM calling an election is the worst idea possible and would turn me against her
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    May could put forward "Labour's alternative Brexit" at this point, and Corbyn would still whip against !
  • Yeah the Tory party is fucked.

Good people like Thatcher, Major, and Cameron tried to sort out the European question and failed.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited March 2019
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    Difficult to see another VONC being seen off unless May resigns. She hasn’t got time to put her abysmal deal to Parliament a 4th time unless she wants her legacy to be a Corbyn Gov which renders Britain into another Venezuela.
  • StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

kle4 said:

But the lying liars said it was a wonderful idea and the people believed them. Special place in hell indeed.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    May just won’t stop until she brings the whole edifice down. It’s quite, quite mad.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2019
    kjh said:

On the unrelated topic of grass seed and pheasants - thank you for the advice, but netting is not an option unless I want to do something more tedious than Brexit.; I have 2/3 acre garden and about 50 - 100 patches seeded. I'll be out there until we leave the EU.

Hire a falconer for the afternoon

(But you might need Charlie to resign first)
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725

kle4 said:

Colour me shocked.

No idea but TM calling an election is the worst idea possible and would turn me against her
    Ha Ha Ha
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:
    Christ on a unicycle. Just when you think things can't get any madder...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    I’m sorry? The Government would advise he Queen to veto a bill passed by the legislature? Seriously? What “abuse of constitutional procedures” could possibly warrant that? Does May really think that not getting her way is unconstitutional?
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited March 2019
    And how richly appropriate that that's now looking like it may be the most decisive day for Brexit so far.

Her Majesty clearly about to crash through the walls of Downing Street and mow those fuckers down
    Too late for the Queen

Corbyn has Check Mated The Tories
    edited March 2019

Well there's some who are saying she should refuse to give Royal Assent to a soft Brexit.
    I'm confident of little, despite my professions of certainty which are more just gut reactions. But one thing I feel very confident in is that Her Majesty would not do such a thing. And if she ever did, expect the next government to create a rule that royal assent cannot, in practice, be denied. That never wrong resource wiki says such a thing occurs in Belgium. I know the reason here is about the gov advising her not to sign, but that's not a farce, that's madness.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    The appalling polls tonight will hopefully bring some element of realism to even the PCP, who have lost the plot in a truly epic way. Unfortunately most of the more frothing elements have what in normal times would be safe seats.

The idea of May fighting another campaign makes a no deal Brexit look good and the consequences would be far more serious as Corbyn swept into Number 10.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Astonishing result from the Deltapoll .

41% support revoking Article 50 . This I suspect wouldn’t have made 20% last year . This is a reaction to the no deal ERG pushing this narrative and turning Remainers into a more polarized position .

I couldn’t support revocation as a Remainer , it would cause huge problems . A vote that started with the people can only be changed with another vote by the people .

I’m very troubled by that poll result . The country has gone mad . I really fear the worst .
  • Her Majesty clearly about to crash through the walls of Downing Street and mow those fuckers down
    Too late for the Queen

Counting chickens is never a good look BJO

Labour ex toxic Corbyn would be out of sight
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

You think she's driving towards them? I think in that photo she's halfway to the Chunnel and out the country as it burns behind her

Yeah the Tory party is fucked.

Good people like Thatcher, Major, and Cameron tried to sort out the European question and failed.

How did Thatcher try to sort it out? She injected the poison by the way she reacted to her political demise.
    edited March 2019

Yeah the Tory party is fucked.

I had lunch with a Tory grandee today. He was surprisingly positive about May (although felt she thought in the same way as the Eurocrats which is why none of them understood why the proposed deal was so unpopular)

What really startled me was how negative he was about Cameron - said the problem with OEs was the 80/20 rule applied and Cameron was definitely in the 20!

(He knows Cameron very well, and has been close to Osborne for two decades)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

Difficult to see another VONC being seen off unless May resigns. She hasn’t got time to put her abysmal deal to Parliament a 4th time unless she wants her legacy to be a Corbyn Gov which renders Britain into another Venezuela.

May's plan is to put her Deal against whatever wins the indicative votes on Monday ie probably permanent Customs Union plus maybe SM too or EU Ref2 in a final run off where MPs decide what Brexit they want. Corbyn will probably not get a majority even if he becomes PM

I suspect the Queen won't block soft Brexit unless she fancies going the way of Charles I.

That may happen if she blocked Brexit too, the Queen will stay well out of it and leave MPs to decide
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    To be fair, I needed a good laugh this evening.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    "May plot to block boris"
    If true, how petty.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    I
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    Surely not? I really could not vote for a party led by that man.
    DougSeal said:

I’m sorry? The Government would advise he Queen to veto a bill passed by the legislature? Seriously? What “abuse of constitutional procedures” could possibly warrant that? Does May really think that not getting her way is unconstitutional?
    Who is going to introduce the legislation?
    edited March 2019
    That and the 41% to 40% for revoke is a recipe for civil war not clarity No Deal also only on a 7% deficit
  • Talk is of an election to stave off cabinet collapse / no deal. Surely the morelikely scenario is that the cabinet collapses, we have no deal and THEN a general election?

Talk is of an election to stave off cabinet collapse / no deal. Surely the morelikely scenario is that the cabinet collapses, we have no deal and THEN a general election?

Which leads to Corbyn and SNP BINO SM and CU
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

That and the 41% to 40% for revoke is a recipe for civil war not clarity
    Exactly .

The second vote I understand but the revocation as a Remainer shocks me . I could only support a second EU ref not revocation.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Any MP, or indeed peer, can introduce a bill into Parliament. It would be unusual for such important legislation to be introduced as a private members bill but hardly unconstitutional.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,469
    Charles said:

kjh said:

Hire a falconer for the afternoon

(But you might need Charlie to resign first)
    Very good. I'm chuckling as I type with that vision in my mind of him chasing the birds around my garden.

Too late for the Queen

Not counting Chikens

You need a Plan B instead of supporting BLUKIP though
    Scott_P said:
    So...is that telling the ERG holdouts to vote for the deal? Because that delivers Brexit.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have been pointing this problem out. Theresa May is threatening a paper tiger.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    HYUFD said:

Talk is of an election to stave off cabinet collapse / no deal. Surely the morelikely scenario is that the cabinet collapses, we have no deal and THEN a general election?

More than likely that Corbyn will get an absolute majority. And it will be the Tories which will have made that possible by their stupid destructive and pig-ignorant behaviour.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DougSeal said:

There is not the slightest chance of the Queen using a power last used by Queen Anne. The government has gone doolally if it imagines otherwise.
    Too late for the Queen

Not counting Chikens

I have never supported ERG and if you follow my posts you will see I have condemned them unequivocally

I am a one nation conservative and support the new grouping in my party
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Haven’t they been in permanent state of near-collapse for the past six months or so?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Things fall apart ...
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,267
    Mail poll is Lab 41, Con 36, UKIP 7, LD 7, others 9. The others must include some TIGers and Greens who, like UKIP, are unlikely to stand everywhere, so it probably evens out. Boris well ahead on best next leader.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/mailonsunday/index.html
    Eagles

A gnu ridden by PM Ken Clarke is the way forward.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547
    DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Any MP, or indeed peer, can introduce a bill into Parliament. It would be unusual for such important legislation to be introduced as a private members bill but hardly unconstitutional.
    I'm sure Grieve is drafting something as we speak....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    So...is that telling the ERG holdouts to vote for the deal? Because that delivers Brexit.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Sadly, it isn't. You and I might think that the way to get Brexit is to vote for Brexit, but for others, the way to get Brexit is to vote against it.
    edited March 2019

DougSeal said:

There is not the slightest chance of the Queen using a power last used by Queen Anne. The government has gone doolally if it imagines otherwise.
    If May cannot get her Brexit Deal through the Commons and the Commons votes for soft Brexit instead constitutionally I expect the Queen would have no choice but to tell Mrs May sorry, you clearly no longer have the confidence of Parliament and I will have to ask Mr Corbyn to see if he can form a government with the SNP, the DUP and the LDs which does have the confidence of Parliament and can implement the soft Brexit it has voted for if there is no majority for a general election either
    The monarch is constitutionally powerless - and rightly so. The story is risible.
    edited March 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

The monarch is constitutionally powerless - and rightly so. The story is risible.

She is not theoretically powerless (even if ever making it non theoretical again would be pointless and immediately lead to explicit powerlessness). But the story is still absurd, and I hope no one seriously contemplated that route.
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

More than likely that Corbyn will get an absolute majority. And it will be the Tories which will have made that possible by their stupid destructive and pig-ignorant behaviour.
    No, Corbyn will not get an absolute majority, even on tonight's Deltapoll he still falls short. If Corbyn becomes PM it will be with SNP or LD support

And how richly appropriate that that's now looking like it may be the most decisive day for Brexit so far.
    Although admittedly you are setting an extremely low bar there

Mail poll is Lab 41, Con 36, UKIP 7, LD 7, others 9. The others must include some TIGers and Greens who, like UKIP, are unlikely to stand everywhere, so it probably evens out. Boris well ahead on best next leader.

Corbyn as PM pursuing SM and CU BINO, Boris as Leader of the Opposition on a hard Brexit platform is the only way this can be resolved as far as I can see
  • HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

If May cannot get her Brexit Deal through the Commons and the Commons votes for soft Brexit instead constitutionally I expect the Queen would have no choice but to tell Mrs May sorry, you clearly no longer have the confidence of Parliament and I will have to ask Mr Corbyn to see if he can form a government with the SNP, the DUP and the LDs which does have the confidence of Parliament and can implement the soft Brexit it has voted for if there is no majority for a general election either
    With respect that is utter rubbish. No confidence comes from the HOC, no one else

The Queen will only come into it when directed by her PM

Too late for the Queen

Not counting Chikens

I have never supported ERG and if you follow my posts you will see I have condemned them unequivocally

Unfortunately your Party is now Maj BLUKIP
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Can anyone clarify is the permanent customs union being voted on “the” customs union or “a” customs union?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

This is the version with chuk:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1112107512478736385
    DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Parliament taking control of the timetable to allow for the introduction of legislation (which is what would be needed) would be a constitutional disaster
    Foxy said:

CHUK could have a female Prime Minister before Labour.
    Too late for the Queen

Not counting Chikens

Less than 30 are ultras, the rest either accept the deal or want to remain

It is a problem but no more so than the hard left running the labour party

• ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kjohnw said:

Can anyone clarify is the permanent customs union being voted on “the” customs union or “a” customs union?

It can not be The Customs Union because the EU treaties are clear that only EU members can be a member of "The".
    kjohnw said:

It's The Customs Union, but on terms which the EU would never accept.
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Parliament taking control of the timetable to allow for the introduction of legislation (which is what would be needed) would be a constitutional disaster
    Nah, it is our equivalent of the 25th ammendment, in use because May has lost her marbles.
  • Foxy said:

That -11 figure for the Tories looks catastrophic whichever way you look at it.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,407
    I know that the Brexistential Crisis is very serious, but to see the Tories on the brink of disintegration is very, very entertaining.

Shit on, you bunch of feckers.

DougSeal said:

If the Commons votes through a policy which the government cannot countenance, then the government should either resign, or dare the Commons to put forward a VONC.

kjohnw said:

It can not be The Customs Union because the EU treaties are clear that only EU members can be a member of "The".
    So what is being proposed is to allow third parties to have tariff free access to our markets but with us having no reciprocal rights , which makes the EU more competitive than us globally.great plan that, thick mp’s

Foxy said:

That -11 figure for the Tories looks catastrophic whichever way you look at it.
    That very much depends on the fate wot you wish on the Tories! I appreciate that you are one of the sane ones, but I would wet myself laughing>
    Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

It's The Customs Union, but on terms which the EU would never accept.
    So why propose it?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    What needs to happen is May picks an alternative plan that isn't endlessly fucking about trying to get her deal passed for a 4th time. Pick something, anything else. All other options will result in resignations from her government and party splits, but, tough. They will all change the dynamic of the situation somehow and then we can begin to move forward into some new space.

I know that the Brexistential Crisis is very serious, but to see the Tories on the brink of disintegration is very, very entertaining.

Shit on, you bunch of feckers.

Labour is no more united
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,407

Too late for the Queen

Not counting Chikens

Less than 30 are ultras, the rest either accept the deal or want to remain

It is a problem but no more so than the hard left running the labour party

170 want to leave with No Deal. I'd call all of them ultras.
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

So what is being proposed is to allow third parties to have tariff free access to our markets but with us having no reciprocal rights , which makes the EU more competitive than us globally.great plan that, thick mp’s
    Yes, clearly not as good as Revoke.
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Nah, it is our equivalent of the 25th ammendment, in use because May has lost her marbles.
    No she hasn’t. She’s right that there are only 3 options and everything else is fantasy. She’s just inflexible in her tactics
This discussion has been closed.