Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Very shortly the credibility of so many Tory leavers could be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Very shortly the credibility of so many Tory leavers could be in tatters and that has betting implications

Michael Gove 2016 > "The day after we leave, we hold all the cards"

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    edited March 2019
    I was talking to a mild leaver friend earlier, who expressed that he just wanted Brexit to be over: he didn't care how, or what the end result was. He just wanted it over.

He also expressed that he thought May wasn't the problem, but the MPs were. And Tyndall will be glad to hear that he expressed extreme contempt for Heidi Allen. ;)

Edit: and first.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923
    FPT and first kinabalu said:

» show previous quotes
    😊

Well I'll take that obviously.

You will be being stuffed into a turkey with some onion soon as.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    edited March 2019
    'Chris Grayling [sic] unparalleled competence will make No Deal a positive outcome.'

You remind me of Sir Humphrey who said of Hacker that he was, 'A Minister without parallel in my experience.'
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

I was talking to a mild leaver friend earlier, who expressed that he just wanted Brexit to be over: he didn't care how, or what the end result was. He just wanted it over.

I suspect this is a majority view
  • Options

Drat I should have not wasted time correcting.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

A first for you? That would have been a turnip for the books.

I would get my coat, but it's too nice to wear one.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

JJ needs it more than me Ydoethur.
  • Options

He isn't the first person to express it to me, although is the first leaver to say he now didn't care what the result is.

This may play into the politics as well.

Having said that: I do wonder if opinions that have changed now might not change back once a result has been arrived at.
  • Options
    I think the 8 failures Wednesday has not helped pollsters get an accurate picture.
    GE 2019 and the anti incumbency penalty?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I need many things, Malc. After yesterday's walk and a children's birthday party this morning, I need some sleep more than anything else ...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

..and why the government propaganda, mouthed in lock step organisation for two years now, of the voters "just wanting us to get on with it", has been so subtly, but potentially catastrophically, misleading, for the government itself but also for the whole country.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I need many things, Malc. After yesterday's walk and a children's birthday party this morning, I need some sleep more than anything else ...
    JJ , I have had a lazy few days, did do a bit of gardening yesterday mind you. Being chased to get some work down now that football is over. Sounds like you need a holiday.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Michael Green (AKA Grant Shapps) not keen on "a" (and presumably "the") Customs Union

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1112278861553782785
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Weird prediction for GE 2019
    First result Sunderland sees a 2% swing to the Tories, major freak out
    Corbyn ends up with most seats, south collapses for Tories, gains oop north
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Corn Laws redux.

Which is another reason why I don't think the Tories, minority in parliament anyway, would take us there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    I don't see how No Deal gets through given 170 MPs only back it and the Commons has consistently voted against it. More likely the Commons votes to stay in a Customs Union or Single Market and Customs Union tomorrow and we renegotiate the PD with the EU and contest the European elections on that basis. That may need the May Government to fall and be replaced by either a Corbyn, LD, SNP and DUP Governmemt if May loses a VONC without a general election or a Corbyn and SNP Governmemt after a general election but to be honest that is more likely now than May shifting from her Deal to BINO given most of her party's opposition or a sustained No Deal which really requires a hard Brexiteer like Boris or Raab to do the Tory leadership and an overall majority on a platform of No Deal and try for a FTA given the current Commons has made clear it will never allow a No Deal Brexit
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

He isn't the first person to express it to me, although is the first leaver to say he now didn't care what the result is.

Having said that: I do wonder if opinions that have changed now might not change back once a result has been arrived at.
    It doesn't sound like your friend thinks Brexit is the problem and that he made a mistake voting for it.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2019

You make a shed load of predictions mostly with remarkable certainty. You must be the mortal enemy of bookmakers and trading exchanges.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Gauge was very relaxed about the unlikelihood of no deal on Marr. He simply pointed out that Parliament had voted heavily against it several times and May had spoken out against it and it would be very damaging.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577

And a deluded one.
    There is no over without a consensus to abandon the project altogether - which obviously does not exist.

Going ahead means this carries on. As would revoking.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    GIN1138 said:

Michael Green (AKA Grant Shapps) not keen on "a" (and presumably "the") Customs Union

I'm so nostalgic for the days when Shapps/ Green represented the idiot wing of the Tory Party.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    GIN1138 said:

Also, nobody is telling us how much that CU would cost.....
  • Options
    I saw a meme on Twitter saying that staying in "A" or "THE" Customs Union would be taxation without representation.

I suspect the claim is deeply spurious but its that sort of thing that could catch on in an election campaign.... Most people wouldn't have the faintest idea what a customs union actually is but if the messages are broken down into messages that people can understand like "taxation without representation" then watch out...
  • Options
    matt said:

You make a shed load of predictions mostly with remarkable certainty. You must be the mortal enemy of bookmakers and trading exchanges.
    Yeah they are made as talking points or curios. If its a betting post I'll say its a betting post
    Prefacing it with 'weird prediction' ought to give away a lack of certainty
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I saw a meme on Twitter saying that staying in "A" or "THE" Customs Union would be taxation without representation.

I suspect the claim is deeply spurious but its that sort of thing that could catch on in an election campaign.... Most people wouldn't have the faintest idea what a customs union actually is but if the messages are broken down into messages that people can understand like "taxation without representation" then watch out...

We've been perfectly happy for millions of European residents to pay UK taxes without giving them a GE vote in return.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    FF43 said:

It doesn't sound like your friend thinks Brexit is the problem and that he made a mistake voting for it.
    Brexit isn't just leaving the EU any more. It has acquired a whole set of baggage to go with that. One good reason for leavers to support revoking Article 50 now is that it gives them an opportunity to rebrand.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

'Chris Grayling [sic] unparalleled competence will make No Deal a positive outcome.'

You remind me of Sir Humphrey who said of Hacker that he was, 'A Minister without parallel in my experience.'

That was my inspiration.

I also feel my Voting Leave/sex with an ex analogy isn’t getting the praise it deserves.
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited March 2019
    The remainer establishment owns any forms of leaving at present. For your dream to become reality, you need power to be handed to the leading brexiteers, with the rest of the political class somehow failing to prevent them from enacting their will, and then for the outcomes flowing from that departure to be profoundly negative. The second condition seems particularly unlikely to be satisfied.
  • Options

The remainer establishment owns any forms of leaving at present. For your dream to become reality, you need power to be handed to the leading brexiteers, with the rest of the political class somehow failing to prevent them from enacting their will, and then for the outcomes flowing from that departure to be profoundly negative. The second condition seems particularly unlikely to be satisfied.

An exceptionally inexplicable point of view.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,666
    GIN1138 said:

I think you are missing something here... If we opt for a/the CU the EU will rightly insist we take part in the EU elections while we renegotiate the WA. The question for the GE will be: Do you want to lose that representation at the end of Transition... or shall we just can the whole fiasco now?
  • Options
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    malcolmg said:

» show previous quotes
    😊

Disappear up my own arse and then up a Turkey's!

But I will carry on emitting from there, no problem.
  • Options

What on earth are you talking about?
  • Options

and to be clear no deal does not satsify this.
  • Options
    Ben Elton. A new generation of political comedians could rage against him in a full circle kinda way
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That was my inspiration.

I also feel my Voting Leave/sex with an ex analogy isn’t getting the praise it deserves.

Trust me, it is. :wink:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That was my inspiration.

Because it's a shite analogy.

The correct analogy is that we have agreed to get a divorce, but are being forced to live together in a loveless marriage because the lawyers have screwed up the paperwork.....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    GE2019 starting to drift out again.

Last matched at 2.2.

For much of last 48 hours has been in the 1.85 to 1.95 region.
  • Options
    He'd have to actually win an election for that to happen. :D
  • Options

Ben Elton. A new generation of political comedians could rage against him in a full circle kinda way
    Eddie Izzard has the benefit of being a pb.com running joke......
  • Options
    You get the feeling Leave would have lost if ‘It’s a grim but inescapable fact that in the event of a no-deal Brexit tariffs on beef and sheep meat would be above 40%’ was on the side of a bus.

i.e. You botched your campaign
  • Options

A good encapsulation of the Leaver 'Operation Scapegoat' now in full flow.
  • Options

Eddie Izzard has the benefit of being a pb.com running joke......
    True enough
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    Events since 2016 have tarnished every political reputation as far as I can see - Leavers who couldn’t agree on a plan; Remainers who never accepted the referendum; Tories who abandoned their manifesto and subordinated trade to next stage; Labour who, like Leavers, never actually developed a settled position on Brexit; May who micro managed everything; Corbyn who can’t understand it etc etc . I don’t think any MP comes out of this well. Playing the blame game is just the same, same old whinging we’ve had for the last 2 years.

The three realistic choice although all have real political fallout - no deal, no Brexit or Norway. I doubt the Tory Party would survive such a choice and maybe Labour wouldn’t either. Talking about leadership candidates in those circumstances seems a bit incongruous. What would they be leading ?

• Options

ydoethur said:

That was my inspiration.

The correct analogy is that we have agreed to get a divorce, but are being forced to live together in a loveless marriage because the lawyers have screwed up the paperwork.....
    One party wanted wanted a separation with benefits, although was unclear what the benefits should be, just that his/her continued importance to the other side would ensure that it passed.
  • Options

Events since 2016 have tarnished every political reputation as far as I can see - Leavers who couldn’t agree on a plan; Remainers who never accepted the referendum; Tories who abandoned their manifesto and subordinated trade to next stage; Labour who, like Leavers, never actually developed a settled position on Brexit; May who micro managed everything; Corbyn who can’t understand it etc etc . I don’t think any MP comes out of this well. Playing the blame game is just the same, same old whinging we’ve had for the last 2 years.

The three realistic choice although all have real political fallout - no deal, no Brexit or Norway. I doubt the Tory Party would survive such a choice and maybe Labour wouldn’t either. Talking about leadership candidates in those circumstances seems a bit incongruous. What would they be leading ?

Yep. It's certainly going to shake things up whether we actually leave or not... And probably not before time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    Tremendous long read article on the Cretaceous extinction, and a remarkable set of fossil discoveries:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/08/the-day-the-dinosaurs-died
    When I first visited the lab, in April, 2014, a block of stone three feet long by eighteen inches wide lay on a table under bright lights and a large magnifying lens. The block, DePalma said, contained a sturgeon and a paddlefish, along with dozens of smaller fossils and a single small, perfect crater with a tektite in it. The lower parts of the block consisted of debris, fragments of bone, and loose tektites that had been dislodged and caught up in the turbulence. The block told the story of the impact in microcosm. “It was a very bad day,” DePalma said. “Look at these two fish.” He showed me where the sturgeon’s scutes—the sharp, bony plates on its back—had been forced into the body of the paddlefish. One fish was impaled on the other. The mouth of the paddlefish was agape, and jammed into its gill rakers were microtektites—sucked in by the fish as it tried to breathe. DePalma said, “This fish was likely alive for some time after being caught in the wave, long enough to gasp frenzied mouthfuls of water in a vain attempt to survive.”...
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Nigelb said:

And a deluded one.
    There is no over without a consensus to abandon the project altogether - which obviously does not exist.

People want it to be over. But it won't ever be over, because however they voted they find themselves unwilling participants in a evolving historic moment: the breakdown of the liberal world order, the potential failure of the EU, Scottish and Irish nationalism, amongst many other things. This stuff can't be wished away. Revoking or no deal sets in motion two different scenarios with knock on effects that are virtually impossible to predict, so "it" doesn't go away.

The only way this goes away is where the executive have seized power and democracy is suspended, so people aren't faced with the burden of choice.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen an analysis of how the Cabinet splits between hard and soft Brexit?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Tremendous long read article on the Cretaceous extinction, and a remarkable set of fossil discoveries:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/08/the-day-the-dinosaurs-died
    When I first visited the lab, in April, 2014, a block of stone three feet long by eighteen inches wide lay on a table under bright lights and a large magnifying lens. The block, DePalma said, contained a sturgeon and a paddlefish, along with dozens of smaller fossils and a single small, perfect crater with a tektite in it. The lower parts of the block consisted of debris, fragments of bone, and loose tektites that had been dislodged and caught up in the turbulence. The block told the story of the impact in microcosm. “It was a very bad day,” DePalma said. “Look at these two fish.” He showed me where the sturgeon’s scutes—the sharp, bony plates on its back—had been forced into the body of the paddlefish. One fish was impaled on the other. The mouth of the paddlefish was agape, and jammed into its gill rakers were microtektites—sucked in by the fish as it tried to breathe. DePalma said, “This fish was likely alive for some time after being caught in the wave, long enough to gasp frenzied mouthfuls of water in a vain attempt to survive.”...

Now, that is a metaphor for Brexit!
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited March 2019
    Sorry, sorry, sorry. You have caused me to share this, ahem, classic. Every bit the lyrical match for Dua Lipa, world's greatest ever feminist (according to the BBC).

EDIT: stick it out till the middle 8 for the full effect.

https://youtu.be/GSDLFzSOjos
  • Options
    nielh said:

Nigelb said:

And a deluded one.

People want it to be over. But it won't ever be over, because however they voted they find themselves unwilling participants in a evolving historic moment: the breakdown of the liberal world order, the potential failure of the EU, Scottish and Irish nationalism, amongst many other things. This stuff can't be wished away. Revoking or no deal sets in motion two different scenarios with knock on effects that are virtually impossible to predict, so "it" doesn't go away.

The only way this goes away is where the executive have seized power and democracy is suspended, so people aren't faced with the burden of choice.
    I think revoking Article 50 ends it sooner. It will take time for leavers to realise it is over and that they threw it away. But then most people still haven't realised that the last day of leave as a serious political project was the Friday just past.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    FF43 said:

Hmmm. I'll have to ask him (subtly...) next time I see him. My impression is that he didn't think he made a mistake; most of his 'anger' (*) was against MPs. And Heidi Allen. ;)

(*) Anger is overstating it; mildly peeved in the way only Englishmen can be.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Looking at Deltapoll Common Market 2.0 has 40% support 35% opposition and Customs Union 39% support and 29% opposition more on a net basis than revoke, EUref2 or No Deal

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/brexit-conservatives
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    HYUFD said:

I don't see how No Deal gets through given 170 MPs only back it and the Commons has consistently voted against it. More likely the Commons votes to stay in a Customs Union or Single Market and Customs Union tomorrow and we renegotiate the PD with the EU and contest the European elections on that basis. That may need the May Government to fall and be replaced by either a Corbyn, LD, SNP and DUP Governmemt if May loses a VONC without a general election or a Corbyn and SNP Governmemt after a general election but to be honest that is more likely now than May shifting from her Deal to BINO given most of her party's opposition or a sustained No Deal which really requires a hard Brexiteer like Boris or Raab to do the Tory leadership and an overall majority on a platform of No Deal and try for a FTA given the current Commons has made clear it will never allow a No Deal Brexit

I think perhaps you have just illustrated how No Deal "gets through", considering that to avoid it happening in 12 days' time we need to convince the European Council that there is a consensus in the UK for a clear way forward.
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited March 2019

What on earth are you talking about?
    'Your dream' here refers to the fantasy outlined in the OP.

Remainers have negotiated a deal (with the key brexiteers being sidelined) without playing their cards as leavers advised (at this point it doesn't matter whether that advice was sage or stupid).

Remainers in parliament have mostly rejected this deal. If we leave with no deal, it is largely their fault. They clearly could have voted through the deal.

Leavers on the whole argued for a notional, easily negotiated deal, but didn't get to negotiate (unless you count Davis who was overruled and undermined and Raab who seems to have enjoyed little influence), and have mostly voted for the deal on offer, so it wouldn't be their no deal, it would be the establishment's.

Of course you could also blame the DUP and ERG holdouts (who have no hope of holding the reins) as opposed to the much larger number rejecting the deal as too Brexity, but those who have folded and accepted the deal as preferable to running the risk of the remainer threat of no Brexit would largely escape censure from leavers disillusioned by no deal repercussions.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That was my inspiration.

I think you blew that.
  • Options
    This is a cracker, and not even a booking.
    https://twitter.com/Oldfirmfacts1
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited March 2019
    What is required is leadership.

Most people do not actually have a strong, coherent, and informed point of view on EU membership. Rather, if is tribal affiliation that has led them to Leave or Remain. They will follow a clear and confident direction, even if it leads to a change in previous opinions.

One of May’s manifold faults is that she doesn’t “do” leadership, but rather a kind of negative triangulation, seeking a course of least resistance while stubbornly refusing to engage or open up deliberation. If it is leadership, it is the leadership of cowardice and paranoia.

We need a leader who can stand up and do some long overdue truth-telling for starters.
    As far as I can tell, Ken Clarke is about the only person who has managed to do so and of course he is far too old to be in any position of authority.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

» show previous quotes
    😊

Disappear up my own arse and then up a Turkey's!

But I will carry on emitting from there, no problem.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

I think perhaps you have just illustrated how No Deal "gets through", considering that to avoid it happening in 12 days' time we need to convince the European Council that there is a consensus in the UK for a clear way forward.
    There is a consensus we can't agree and are therefore fucked.

Does that count?
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    On topic. Good to see Eagles and others waking up to the fact no deal can happen.

Posting here yesterday, Sandy Rent tool made a fascinating observation. PB seems neatly split between those who staunchly believe threat of no deal is long gone, and those who fear it still very much a possibility.

Well spotted Sandy. not everybody can be right on this one, somebody is getting it spectacularly wrong.

Well fine. So long as nobody spectacularly wrong basing their opinion on no government can choose a no deal decoupling because they are not prepared for it. No kind of brexit comes without some teething issues no amount of planning could spot and mitigate. there has been years of planning. How many years preparing for it does EU need before they are ready to start a No Deal decoupling process? EU communiques talk up they are ready. the EU are as ready as they ever will be. Nearly Everything they need for day one they have in place.

An awkward bit would be the Irish border. On this France and Germany would listen to Dublin before making a decision.
    Both Merkel and Macron raised the issue of the Irish border at the meeting of the European Council.
    “What will happen if there is a no-deal Brexit on 12 April?” Macron asked of the Irish Taoiseach. “Would you be fine?”
    Varadkar replied: “We can cope”.
    A visit of German or french leaders to Dublin can only be to make sure Leo can cope before declaring no deal divorce.

This is the key bit: how can almost everything be in place to declare ourselves out the EU in just few weeks time with a deal once passing WA, yet not be still be in place to start a no deal divorce? to some extent the transition arrangement waiting to be put in place once May’s WA is passed IS the preparation already done. No deal was never going to be a car crash, that was always spin. Deal or no deal it was always going to be at least a nine month process till we are standing alone out of every bit of it with political and financial issues to resolve before talks can seriously begin again. This is the definition of a real no deal brexit minus the spin. One where not every last bit needs to be thought through and ready in order to begin the slow and careful no deal decoupling.

In my opinion some people are slow to realise how close UK government and EU council are to initiating a no deal divorce. Into that category of being dangerously slow on the uptake I put every single Labour MP except Jim Fitzpatrick
  • Options
    I know 2 Conservative MPs. Neither campaigned at all in their own constituency in 2017. Like many Conservative activists they were dispatched to 'vulnerable' Labour held seats which turned out to be safe Labour holds. One of those MPs nearly lost their seat and the other saw their majority greatly reduced. Neither will set foot outside their constituency in the forthcoming GE.

The Conservative party machine (such as it is) will be in full defence mode. Conservative gains are going to be incredibly few and far between, as there is almost no 'offensive' capability to deploy.

Conservative voters like Conservative activists are overwhelmingly Leave voters and break overwhelmingly for No deal over other options. Conservative MPs looking to hold seats would have to be incredibly 'courageous ' in the Sir Humphrey sense to opt for anything other than no deal if they want to hold their seats. Hence the 170 already declared for it.

We are going to have GE one way or the other very soon. For what's it's worth I reckon we are close to Conservative MPs being willing to vote no confidence to trigger one if necessary.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

We've been perfectly happy for millions of European residents to pay UK taxes without giving them a GE vote in return.
    there's a path to citizenship (and thus representation) if they wish to follow it
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    MikeL said:

Last matched at 2.2.

Might be time to top up then!!!
  • Options
    dots said:

On topic. Good to see Eagles and others waking up to the fact no deal can happen.

I've been banging on for the last three years that No Deal is the most likely outcome
  • Options

interesting that you characterise it that way but don't fault the logic.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Last matched at 2.2.

Yes I'm its biggest fan but I'm having a wobble.

Q: How many terrified Tories does it take to prevent a general election?

A: Fewer than the number of terrified Tories.
  • Options

dots said:

I've been banging on for the last three years that No Deal is the most likely outcome
    I can’t think of anyone on here who believes there is no chance of No Deal. The chances of No Deal reached a new high after the failure of MV2 and have remained high.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

There is a consensus we can't agree and are therefore fucked.

Does that count?
    If there were really a consensus that we were fucked, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

With about half the Tory MPs supporting No Deal, what chance have we got?
  • Options
    nielh said:

Nigelb said:

And a deluded one.

So when Corbyn gets elected then !
  • Options
    Very good. For me, Brexit opened the doors of hell. Fear of such was one of my reasons for voting Remain.

https://twitter.com/nickwhithorn/status/1112334855805812736?s=21
  • Options

I don't recognise any logic in your assessment.
  • Options
    Stewart Jackson (formally of this Parish) is sticking to boot in to Theresa

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/31/theresa-may-never-job-delivering-brexit-remains-office-cannot/
  • Options

See my 2.59pm comment.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    dots said:

Posting here yesterday, Sandy Rent tool made a fascinating observation. PB seems neatly split between those who staunchly believe threat of no deal is long gone, and those who fear it still very much a possibility.

Well spotted Sandy. not everybody can be right on this one, somebody is getting it spectacularly wrong.

Well fine. So long as nobody spectacularly wrong basing their opinion on no government can choose a no deal decoupling because they are not prepared for it. No kind of brexit comes without some teething issues no amount of planning could spot and mitigate. there has been years of planning. How many years preparing for it does EU need before they are ready to start a No Deal decoupling process? EU communiques talk up they are ready. the EU are as ready as they ever will be. Nearly Everything they need for day one they have in place.

An awkward bit would be the Irish border. On this France and Germany would listen to Dublin before making a decision.
    Both Merkel and Macron raised the issue of the Irish border at the meeting of the European Council.
    “What will happen if there is a no-deal Brexit on 12 April?” Macron asked of the Irish Taoiseach. “Would you be fine?”
    Varadkar replied: “We can cope”.
    A visit of German or french leaders to Dublin can only be to make sure Leo can cope before declaring no deal divorce.

This is the key bit: how can almost everything be in place to declare ourselves out the EU in just few weeks time with a deal once passing WA, yet not be still be in place to start a no deal divorce? to some extent the transition arrangement waiting to be put in place once May’s WA is passed IS the preparation already done. No deal was never going to be a car crash, that was always spin. Deal or no deal it was always going to be at least a nine month process till we are standing alone out of every bit of it with political and financial issues to resolve before talks can seriously begin again. This is the definition of a real no deal brexit minus the spin. One where not every last bit needs to be thought through and ready in order to begin the slow and careful no deal decoupling.

In my opinion some people are slow to realise how close UK government and EU council are to initiating a no deal divorce. Into that category of being dangerously slow on the uptake I put every single Labour MP except Jim Fitzpatrick

Tony Connelley over on rte.ie has a long article on what would happen in the case of no deal with respect to the Irish border. The planning is very advanced. You can go read it if you want but in summary on no deal brexit day +1, nothing would change. Then over time they would introduce the border checks and controls but away from the border so as to stagger the full EU regime.
  • Options

Very good. For me, Brexit opened the doors of hell. Fear of such was one of my reasons for voting Remain.

The complete set of 14 points is an interesting one:

http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

Disturbing how many link to Trump and Corbyn - but not terribly surprising perhaps.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Might as well stay in the EU if those who support a CU want that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

dots said:

I can’t think of anyone on here who believes there is no chance of No Deal. The chances of No Deal reached a new high after the failure of MV2 and have remained high.
    I would put it at evens, which makes backing it look value to me.
  • Options
    Wonder if Boris will formally launch his leadership campaign from his Telegraph column tonight? :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Good idea!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

ydoethur said:

That was my inspiration.

No. The correct analogy is that we demanded a divorce with a view to becoming non-exclusive “friends with benefits” afterwards, we are now surprised that has not been agreed to and are unsure what to do next as we are about to get kicked out of the house with nowhere to live.
  • Options

I know 2 Conservative MPs. Neither campaigned at all in their own constituency in 2017. Like many Conservative activists they were dispatched to 'vulnerable' Labour held seats which turned out to be safe Labour holds. One of those MPs nearly lost their seat and the other saw their majority greatly reduced. Neither will set foot outside their constituency in the forthcoming GE.

The Conservative party machine (such as it is) will be in full defence mode. Conservative gains are going to be incredibly few and far between, as there is almost no 'offensive' capability to deploy.

Conservative voters like Conservative activists are overwhelmingly Leave voters and break overwhelmingly for No deal over other options. Conservative MPs looking to hold seats would have to be incredibly 'courageous ' in the Sir Humphrey sense to opt for anything other than no deal if they want to hold their seats. Hence the 170 already declared for it.

We are going to have GE one way or the other very soon. For what's it's worth I reckon we are close to Conservative MPs being willing to vote no confidence to trigger one if necessary.

Not convinced about the last para. Corbyn would have to win a VONC for that. Cleverleyhas said today the Tories are not preparing for a GE, no Tory wants an election with May still in charge, and preferably with the long overdue boundary changes.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

What is required is leadership.

Most people do not actually have a strong, coherent, and informed point of view on EU membership. Rather, if is tribal affiliation that has led them to Leave or Remain. They will follow a clear and confident direction, even if it leads to a change in previous opinions.

One of May’s manifold faults is that she doesn’t “do” leadership, but rather a kind of negative triangulation, seeking a course of least resistance while stubbornly refusing to engage or open up deliberation. If it is leadership, it is the leadership of cowardice and paranoia.

We need a leader who can stand up and do some long overdue truth-telling for starters.
    As far as I can tell, Ken Clarke is about the only person who has managed to do so and of course he is far too old to be in any position of authority.

Nancy Pelosi's the same age and is in a position of authority.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the HoC. There are Patten and Heseltine in the HoL, and Patten seems proven as being able to work with people. Heseltine is 8 years older than Clarke though and Patten had poor health.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

I’m not sure “logic” is a word I would necessarily associate with your initial post.
  • Options

dots said:

The 40% or so who want No Deal think it won't make a lot of difference, so that makes it quite likely.

In fact No Deal will be extremely unstable. The most likely subsequent outcomes are Norway+CU or rejoin EU
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Good idea!
    Depends on your point of view.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

dots said:

The 40% or so who want No Deal think it won't make a lot of difference, so that makes it quite likely.

In fact No Deal will be extremely unstable. The most likely subsequent outcomes are Norway+CU or rejoin EU
    The 40% of which group?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528
    ydoethur said:

The complete set of 14 points is an interesting one:

http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

Disturbing how many link to Trump and Corbyn - but not terribly surprising perhaps.
    Disagree. Most people who voted Leave are political moderates (like Remainers) who wanted a number of things, none of them remotely fascist, including a closer link between the elected and the (overwhelmingly moderate) electors.

• Options

FF43 said:

dots said:

The 40% of which group?
    Of the electorate. This recent poll has 35%. I think I have seen 40% somewhere.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/do-you-think-parliament-should-accept-or-reject-the-proposal-that-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-without-a-deal/
  • Options
    edited March 2019

See my 2.59pm comment.
    I did. You overlook the fact that Gove, Fox, Johnson, Davis, Raab, Leadsom, Javid, Mordaunt, Barclay, Truss have all been in the cabinet for part or all of the period of negotiations.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

dots said:

The 40% of which group?
    Of the electorate. This recent poll has 35%. I think I have seen 40% somewhere.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/do-you-think-parliament-should-accept-or-reject-the-proposal-that-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-without-a-deal/
    I don't think the proportion of the population who want No Deal has any real impact at all at this point. The parties who will influence whether No Deal happens are: May, the Cabinet, the HoC and the EU.

None of whom are very keen on the idea of No Deal it seems, which I why I remain confident (cling to the hop, if you like) that it won't happen.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

That was my inspiration.

No. The correct analogy is that we demanded a divorce with a view to becoming non-exclusive “friends with benefits” afterwards, we are now surprised that has not been agreed to and are unsure what to do next as we are about to get kicked out of the house with nowhere to live.
    I think we should all be open to the idea that the "Brexit as divorce" analogy doesn't actually work however you slice it, because countries aren't people (and therefore don't have emotions), and the EU isn't a country anyway. It might have been more appropriate if Scotland had voted Yes to independence, because of how much deeper that Union goes, which only serves to highlight that the UK was never properly "married" to the EU in the first place.

It's much more like undergoing major surgery to cure an illness, and trying to figure out how to heal fully thereafter.
  • Options

See my 2.59pm comment.
    I did. You overlook the fact that Gove, Fox, Johnson, Davis, Raab, Leadsom, Javid, Mordaunt, Barclay, Truss have all been in the cabinet during the period of negotiations.
    No. I mentioned Davis and Raab. It appears the others have had even less influence than them. May took personal control of the negotiations. Javid supported remain fwiw.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I’m not sure “logic” is a word I would necessarily associate with your initial post.
    try "content" for size then
  • Options
    edited March 2019

CU on its own is not a viable end state. It is a holding position that provides a measure of stability while we decide in the fullness of time whether to align properly (e.g. CM2.0) or to diverge properly (e.g. Canada).

It is essentially the same as May's deal, since the Backstop does the same job in the same way. It is also essentially the same as Corbyn's proposed deal. That too, shorn of its unicorn element, does the same job in the same way.

For some reason having Ken Clarke's name on a Brexit plan unlocks support from people who condemn the same plan when it is seen as belonging to either Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn. I wonder why that is?
  • Options

I suspect a lot of those would also apply to the Labour Party/ leftwing 'liberals' etc: How many words are now socially unacceptable/ have changed meanings from what they used to be? brexiteers a probably more conservative in keeping the traditional meanings of said words.
  • Options

See my 2.59pm comment.
    I did. You overlook the fact that Gove, Fox, Johnson, Davis, Raab, Leadsom, Javid, Mordaunt, Barclay, Truss have all been in the cabinet during the period of negotiations.
    No. I mentioned Davis and Raab. It appears the others have had even less influence than them. May took personal control of the negotiations. Javid supported remain fwiw.
    Can you see that from a Remainer perspective I do not buy the idea that Brexit being a heap of shite is all the fault of Remainers?

Breixt was going to be easy we were told (by Leavers). They lied.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,978
    Just wondering, if we do have a GE and an overtly Remainer Hoc results, whether we'll still have the right bitching about the 'will of the people'.
  • Options

Just wondering, if we do have a GE and an overtly Remainer Hoc results, whether we'll still have the right bitching about the 'will of the people'.

I am sure we would. They would still be bitching about it if Leave lost a Ref2 so I am sure a GE will not stop them.
This discussion has been closed.