Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The chaos continues as MPs reject all options Brexit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The chaos continues as MPs reject all options Brexit

No option passes in Commons votes

Read the full story here

Comments

• SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    We're all fucked
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    What a clusterfuck this Parliament is
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited April 2019
    Fourth just like the UK (as that’s what will be left of it once No Deal has played out)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    The Parliament of Clowns
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Boles: SNP 32, Lab 185, Con 33, Ind 5, Plaid 4, Lib Dem 2
    Clarke: Lab 230, Con 37, Ind 5, Lib Dem 1
    Kyle-Wilson SNP 31, Lab 203, Con 15, Ind 15, Green 1, Plaid 4
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I like Nate but probably worth remembering this for November 2020....
  • I'm feeling a lot like Nick Boles at the moment.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    I reject your offer of quiche, I demand pineapple and cheddar cheese...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited April 2019
    Sky news reporting more Tory MPs will follow Boles and likely to back a VONC in the government if no option backed to avoid No Deal by Friday, so general election increasingly likely once they are added to the 3 former Tory MPs already in TIG now who will also back a VONC
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    It's a GE, as I have said before.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Time for the EU to tell us just to piss off. No more extensions. We've got 48 hours to pass May's Shit Deal - or else Shit Happens.....
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    May must go now.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

I'm feeling a lot like Nick Boles at the moment.

Bye! :wink:
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I admire Nick Boles for trying, and for putting what he sees as the country's interest above party-political considerations.

But - it was a unicorn, wasn't it?

1) The new version [of Common Market 2.0] says the customs arrangement that the government should negotiate with the EU should include “alignment with the union customs code and an agreement on commercial policy, and which includes a UK say on future EU trade deals”. Giving the UK a say on future EU trade deals (an optimistic request, if it is going to involve anything more than token consultation), is a specific Labour demand.

2) The new version says the new agreement with the EU must include “a legally binding joint instrument” saying the new arrangements would cause the backstop to be superseded.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/apr/01/brexit-latest-live-news-indicative-votes--brexiters-dismiss-customs-union-plan-as-unacceptable-as-mps-prepare-for-more-indicative-votes-live-new
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,090

What a clusterfuck this Parliament is

Are you quoting Ken Clarke?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

The Parliament of Clowns

It's better than a Parliament which simply rubber stamps everything, which is more common around the world.
    HYUFD said:

Sky news reporting more Tory MPs will follow Boles and likely to back a VONC in the government if no option backed to avoid No Deal by Friday, so general election increasingly likely once they are added to the 3 former Tory MPs already in TIG now who will also back a VONC

TIG isn't ready to run a GE campaign - they will fight for more time
    Shock horror, Bad Al thinks we need another referendum...
  • RoyalBlue said:

I'm waiting to use my vote in the Tory leadership contest then I will consider my options.

If I wanted to join a party that was about to trash the economy I would have joined the Labour party.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    On none political issues is it possible that Spurs could finish sixth in a 'three horse race' ?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited April 2019
    Everyone has pretty lame arguments at this point, given any options brought back have been rejected before. The idea that any rejected options should therefore not be treated as options is therefore, unfortunately, not really fair. The government's strategy to abstain has preserved its argument about relatively more popular (just), but they can hardly deny the others got almost as many and suffered due to abstentions, but equally it would be absurd to say it is not fair for the government to get another crack at its deal when it has received the most votes, even though it was rejected by more.

Boles seems a thoughtful and decent chap, but I don't see that his reasoning holds up - The Commons has not done what he wanted, so he's off? He was only compromising in the sense of staying with them if they did what he wanted? With him gone does that mean the Tories have lost even their working majority even should the DUP back them on most things?

More reason people will want a GE, alas.

Whatever happened to applause not happening in the Commons?

It's not a firm rule, even though it is not the common practice.

2nd ref only 12 votes adrift. And 3 softest options all came closer than May's deal.

Without knowing which way the abstentions would go it is not as useful as it could be - May's deal is technically the most popular but not the most unpopular, and while it seems doubtful it is possible all these options could still fail even if you removed abstention as an option.

Not really Letwin's fault, but I don't think these two days of MPs taking control have worked out as well as they could have.

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

That’s it, then. General Election.
    All other options look exhausted, unless May wants to go for a conf referendum on her Deal.

How can she parliament just rejected it twice!
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Any comment from Macron yet?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited April 2019
    FPT

Yet again, the Legislature shows how shit it is at being the Executive.

Heart of stone.....

Now just pass the May Shit Deal - and stop being self-important wankers.

Yep.

They need to be given one final chance to pass May's deal or the house will be prorogued until 15th April and No Deal will just take its course.

Enough of this bullshit!
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    @nickeardleybbc
    24 Labour MPs voted again a confirmatory referendum.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Once again, the Customs Union and Single Market motions would've passed if the Tiggers and Lib Dems had voted in favour of them.

They're deliberately trying to sabotage any prospect of a softer Brexit, in the hope that it will leave the second referendum as the only non-NoDeal option on the table. A strategy which, obviously, has a high risk of backfiring.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    AndyJS said:

The Parliament of Clowns

It's better than a Parliament which simply rubber stamps everything, which is more common around the world.
    There is an element of truth in that, but at some point they do have to stamp something.
    Jonathan said:

May must go now.

How is this her fault? Surely Letwin must go!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,072

On none political issues is it possible that Spurs could finish sixth in a 'three horse race' ?

Very possible!
    Jonathan said:

May must go now.

Er, while that is true, what about tonight has made that more true? For once, and despite the stupidity of government abstentions, it really is not her fault parliament still hasn't made up its mind.

RoyalBlue said:

I'm waiting to use my vote in the Tory leadership contest then I will consider my options.

If I wanted to join a party that was about to trash the economy I would have joined the Labour party.
    Out of curiosity would you prefer to be a Conservative activist if the party deselected Baker, Francois, Jenkin, Chope, Mogg etc ?
    glw said:

AndyJS said:

The Parliament of Clowns

There is an element of truth in that, but at some point they do have to stamp something.
    They have put their collective foot down with a very firm hand. And managed to miss the floor
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Non-political? That's a reference Farage isn't it? ;)
    May, once again, caused this by forcing her cabinet to abstain and not using the whip to back a compromise.
  • oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Origin party of next MP to join breakaway - Conservative 2.3 at Smarkets, for anyone who thinks that's where Boles is heading.

HYUFD said:

Soubry has confirmed before she will VONC the government rather than allow No Deal and campaign for EUref2 in that campaign
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Francois on R4 going all Pressdram v Arkelljust now: my fraternal message to Hammond [I assume he means Philip, not Richard] is 'up yours'.
    Do we have a list of which MPs changed their vote since last week ?
  • RoyalBlue said:

Out of curiosity would you prefer to be a Conservative activist if the party deselected Baker, Francois, Jenkin, Chope, Mogg etc ?
    Yup.
    Danny565 said:

Once again, the Customs Union and Single Market motions would've passed if the Tiggers and Lib Dems had voted in favour of them.

They're deliberately trying to sabotage any prospect of a softer Brexit, in the hope that it will leave the second referendum as the only non-NoDeal option on the table. A strategy which, obviously, has a high risk of backfiring.

Well it has just backfired.
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

May must go now.

Why? Its hardly her fault that the House Of Fools has made a complete and utter fool of itself (and the country) on April Fools Day.

She's given them a deal (it may be shit but its a deal none the less) and they thought they could do better.

How is that May's fault?
    Looks like somebody clearly knew the results and moved the betting markets.
    edited April 2019
    I know it's their raison d'etre, and there is some righteous anger that Scotland very much does not want Brexit, but is 'disrespected' the right word? Their votes were not disrespected, they were defeated, those are not the same thing.

SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford said the Commons needed to find consensus and work together.

He said a "vast majority" of Scottish MPs voted to revoke Article 50, to back a second referendum and to stay in the single market and customs union.

He said it was "crystal clear that our votes in this house are disrespected".

He says the day is coming "where we'll determine our future and it will be as an independent country".
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

What sulking and stroppy because you didn't get your way?
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

May must go now.

Er, while that is true, what about tonight has made that more true? For once, and despite the stupidity of government abstentions, it really is not her fault parliament still hasn't made up its mind.
    The govt could support compromise and whip accordingly. At the moment through abstentions and free votes she has absented herself from the debate, once again using brinkmanship for her deal.

If she picked a direction, this wouldn’t happen. She might lose the ERG, Fox and Leadsom but there is a way out.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Danny565 said:

This is essentially because MPs are still voting on what they don't want, rather than being forced to choose which of the small number of realistic options they do want (or at least dislike least).

Still, look on the bright side. No one, anywhere, in any jurisdiction, is going to entrust a negotiation to a parliament ever again.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Jonathan said:

May, once again, caused this by forcing her cabinet to abstain and not using the whip to back a compromise.

Which of the indicatives do you think would have passed if the Cabinet had voted tonight? My guess is all would have been defeated more heavily.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    Artist said:

@nickeardleybbc

Kevin Barron
    Ronnie Campbell
    Sarah Champion
    Rosie Cooper
    Jon Cruddas
    Caroline Flint
    Yvonne Fovargue
    Mary Glindon
    Stephen Hepburn
    Mike Hill
    Kaye Hoey
    Dan Jarvis
    Kevan Jones
    Helen Jones
    Emma Lewell Buck
    John Mann
    Grahame Morris
    Melanie Onn
    Stephanie Peacock
    Ruth Smeeth
    Laura Smith
    Gareth Snell
    Graham Stringer
    Derek Twigg
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Time for a Military Coup?
    And so we see phase 3

Cable: Combine referendum with customs union

Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable asks whether it would be possible to combine a second referendum and a customs union, pointing out that they were the options that got the most votes.

If there's a GE we need a snap leadership contest first. May can't lead the Tories into a GE.

Snap contest, one of the two hundred MPs willing to back a Managed No Deal becomes PM, anyone not willing to back that resigns whip then a General Election can sort this out.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Pulpstar said:

Very surprised the SNP didn't back a Customs Union.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Amazing to watch our entire political system blowing up. It is incredibly hard to see how it get puts back together again.
    Campbell consistent in thinking everything points to where he wants it to be... funny with that.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

Well it has just backfired.
    We slate May and Corbyn, and their parties, but the Lib Dems complete failure to capitalise on Brexit surely makes them the most inept and poorly lead party in Parliament.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Jonathan said:

Nonsense. It is entirely correct that the executive abstains to allow parliament to consider. And free vote is thd right approach for the rest, otherwise it's just party political balls
    edited April 2019

Presumably the extremely delayed annoucement was so they could keep re-counting to try and make the numbers work for Remainers (and on the betting markets? ;) )
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Bercow?
    Jonathan said:

She wants her Deal or oblivion.
    Jonathan said:

Rubbish, she gave the party a free vote. More than can be said for Labour MPs when the PM's deal comes to the house. Labour are cowards who want no deal.
    MaxPB said:

That’s it, then. General Election.
    All other options look exhausted, unless May wants to go for a conf referendum on her Deal.

How can she parliament just rejected it twice!
    Another referendum has been rejected three times now.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

May must go now.

The govt could support compromise and whip accordingly. At the moment through abstentions and free votes she has absented herself from the debate, once again using brinkmanship for her deal.

If she picked a direction, this wouldn’t happen. She might lose the ERG, Fox and Leadsom but there is a way out.
    If senior ministers had voted, and the government had whipped, all the proposals would have been more heavily defeated.

Pulpstar said:

Very surprised the SNP didn't back a Customs Union.
    The SNP back SM and CU only, not CU alone
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,072
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Soubry has confirmed before she will VONC the government rather than allow No Deal and campaign for EUref2 in that campaign
    I dont think any of the Tiggers expect to be re-elected, so they can do as they please.
    kle4 said:

I know it's their raison d'etre, and there is some righteous anger that Scotland very much does not want Brexit, but is 'disrespected' the right word? Their votes were not disrespected, they were defeated, those are not the same thing.

SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford said the Commons needed to find consensus and work together.

He said a "vast majority" of Scottish MPs voted to revoke Article 50, to back a second referendum and to stay in the single market and customs union.

He said it was "crystal clear that our votes in this house are disrespected".

He says the day is coming "where we'll determine our future and it will be as an independent country".

Shame Scots were too frit to take their future in their hands last time. No wonder it irks the SNP so much to have lost 2/2 referenda - the Scots are too frit to be independent but the UK isn't. Tough.
    Chris said:

Any comment from Macron yet?

Laughter has been heard at the White Cliffs of Dover.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Amazing to watch our entire political system blowing up. It is incredibly hard to see how it get puts back together again.

It just can't cope with both party politics and Leave/Remain. Too many division lines.
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Rubbish, she gave the party a free vote. More than can be said for Labour MPs when the PM's deal comes to the house. Labour are cowards who want no deal.
    If May whipped any of leading options today they would pass. That is the way forward.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    who is staying to listen to this poor woman talking about Blaydon quarry landfill site?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233
    Oh I'm sorry Mr Silver: what was your prediction of Lib seats in 2010? Over 100, wasn't it?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

If there's a GE we need a snap leadership contest first. May can't lead the Tories into a GE.

Snap contest, one of the two hundred MPs willing to back a Managed No Deal becomes PM, anyone not willing to back that resigns whip then a General Election can sort this out.
    Er... she can, and she probably will.
    This is going to be like 1931
    Jonathan said:

That's not causing it. As people continually defend Labour for not coming to the rescue of May's deal, why exactly is it her responsibility to come to the rescue of options she does not support?

I think she should do so too, but then I think MPs are all being reckless in not backing a plan B, whatever it is. But if it is ok for opposition MPs to risk no deal rather than compromise, why is it not ok for government MPs? Parliament has collective responsibility here.

More relevantly, even without May they could easily have coalesced around something. She hasn't helped, she should not be our PM, but blaming her because MPs didn't make a decision just seems strange to me. It's not like anyone follows the whip on Brexit when they don't want to. Giving May crap for things she is not responsible for is weird when there's so much she is responsible for.
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

If May whipped any of leading options today they would pass. That is the way forward.
    If Corbyn whipped in favour of the PM's deal it would pass. That's the way forwards.
    edited April 2019
    Is it even possible to be "progressive" and "conservative" ? :D

It just can't cope with both party politics and Leave/Remain. Too many division lines.
    It can’t cope with an utterly incompetent and impotent executive.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Looking forward to their debates with the Independent Regressive Conservatives.
    Sounds like Strephon being returned to Parliament by the Fairy Queen as Liberal-Conservative...
    Isn't Indepdent Progressive Conservative a bit of an oxymoron?
  • This is going to be like 1931
    He isn't joining the Notorious TIG? Interesting.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

May can be criticised for many things, but allowing her junior ministers and MP's to vote as they wish is not one of them.

Looking forward to their debates with the Independent Regressive Conservatives.
    Also known as the ERG.
    edited April 2019
    They are incapable of compromise! And so I will quit as I cannot compromise on what I want! (I kid really, he voted for the deal as I recall - but that's another vote on the deal lost for May, she's going backwards and needs upwards of 35 Lab MPs on top of the 5/6 from last time!)
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    And thus the Cameron project to modernise the Conservative Party finally dies. I don’t see how the “traditional” one in alliance with hard right English nationalism gets an electoral majority ever again.

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233
    Independent Progressive Conservative? Did he just grab three words out of a bag? Can I stand as Dog Mirror Liberal? Radiator Underpants Radical? Bleeding Sore Republican? Arse Biscuit Labour?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

The pro-EU fanatics and the ERG ultras are two cheeks of the same arse. They get their way or the world burns.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Lab ex mining constituencies say "No" to a people's vote:

Rother Valley, Blyth Valley, Rotherham, West Lancashire, Dagenham, Don Valley, Makerfield, North Tyneside, Jarrow, Vauxhall, Barnsley Central, Warrington North, North Durham, South Shields, Bassetlaw, Easington, Barnsley East, Stoke North, Crewe, Stoke Central, Blackley, Halton.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

This is going to be like 1931
    He isn't joining the Notorious TIG? Interesting.
    He can't if he is going to pursue SM and CU
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Artist said:

@nickeardleybbc

When your constituency voted 70% Leave it's understandable.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    Jonathan said:

It can’t cope with an utterly incompetent and impotent executive.
    Then it has options to get rid of that executive. But it doesn’t seem to want to do that either.

The government is utterly incompetent and impotent, true. Thing is, Parliament is behaving no better.
    viewcode said:

Independent Progressive Conservative? Did he just grab three words out of a bag? Can I stand as Dog Mirror Liberal? Radiator Underpants Radical? Bleeding Sore Republican? Arse Biscuit Labour?
    They already exist, led by Jez.
  • He may not be sittimg for long as this heads to a GE
This discussion has been closed.