Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile what’s been happening in the local elections

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile what’s been happening in the local elections

Harry Hayfield’s March 2019 Local By-Election Summary Labour 6,624 votes (32% unchanged on last time) winning 6 seats (unchanged on last time) Conservatives 5,024 votes (24% -1% on last time) winning 1 seat (unchanged on last time) Liberal Democrats 3,626 votes (17% +4% on last time) winning 2 seats (unchanged on last time) Green Party 1,641 votes (8% +1% on last time) winning 1 seat (+1 on last time) Independents 1,154 votes (6% -3% on last time) winning 1 seat (unchanged on last time) Local Independents 875 votes (4% unchanged on last time) winning 0 seats (-1 on last time) Scottish National Party 865 votes (4% +1% on last time) winning 1 seat (unchanged on last time) United Kingdom Independence Party 490 votes (2% -5% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time) Other Parties 508 votes (2% +2% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time) Labour lead of 1,600 votes (8%) on a swing of 0.5% from Lab to Con

Read the full story here

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Evening all, 5.6 miles in 52:20 - Getting fitter bit by bit :)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Ah, Locals. Time for a Tory bloodbath soon?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited April 2019
    First. Like, err nobody now.
    Or even third...we can't be sure!
    Pulpstar said:

Show off.

2 miles in 17.5 is about the best I manage.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

C4 news says may likely to propose to Corbyn they formally back another series of indicative votes and agree to abide by the outcome ie almost certainly leading to Deal plus CU

That’s what we were talking about last night. They read this place.
    Those poor bastards.

Even if they promise that, and promise to whip it, why would MPs listen?
    Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

May did promise a Red White and blue brexit
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

She's waved the white flag for Corbyn to help out..
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

And the ERG will be blue.
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Quite. Little did we know what she meant at the time.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Pulpstar said:

Well done, keep at it!

Hope you actually enjoy it btw, it sounds as masochistic as another PB Brexit thread otherwise :)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,713
    edited April 2019
    We have cancelled canvassing for the local elections in Epping tonight, did not want to have to get out the flack jackets when meeting Leave voters
  • Thanks for the thread Harry. As a Labour candidate on 2nd May it will certainly be interesting to see how Brexit has an impact. My Borough Council has a small Labour majority at the moment, local Tories want to make progress (having won the regional mayoralty) but we shall see. Locally to me its Labour vs Independent - we're making the simple point that voting Independent hands the council to the Tories. As the local independents hate us with a passion and make 3 out of every 4 things they say an attack on us 15 years ago when their leader split away.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    a dozen comments or so all from the fringes..
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Michael Gove sounding extremely nothing has changed.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

We have cancelled canvassing for the local elections in Epping tonight, did not want to have to get out the flack jackets when meeting Leave voters

Are you a candidate this time round?
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Really interesting to see the implied Brexit swing, for all the necessary caveats. It's a fairly modest swing, broadly in line with the opinion polls, and very far from being decisive - almost perfectly pitched to maximise the uncertainty.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    HYUFD said:

Not entirely sure why. We are much closer to leaving than we were a couple of weeks ago....but then I don't pretend to understand Leaver logic.
    Yvette Cooper on C4 news says she hopes May is moving towards a different kind of approach now, says she may now withdraw her proposed Bill to force the PM to request a further extension but wants to be clear on how the process will work, including on future indicative votes, however pleased the PM moving in the right direction
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

Your party is going to deserve the shellacking it is going to get.
    edited April 2019
    VP of EU Parliament Mairead McGuinness on C4 news glad PM has seen the potential damage of No Deal and hopes her speech will chart a course to a ratification of a Deal, though will be a challenge to get all the ratification through before the European Elections date
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Huge credit to May for making this very difficult decision. Hope those who have been going on all day about how she'd opt for no deal will acknowledge they were wrong about her ultimate motives.
    Corbyn was very good.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    HYUFD said:

Keeping your head down eh? ;)

Think your going to have to do a lot of that between now and Corbyn going to kiss hands with HMQ. :D
    felix said:

Huge credit to May for making this very difficult decision. Hope those who have been going on all day about how she'd opt for no deal will acknowledge they were wrong about her ultimate motives.

I admit I was wrong about her ultimate motives.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Not entirely sure why. We are much closer to leaving than we were a couple of weeks ago....but then I don't pretend to understand Leaver logic.
    The closer we are to Leave, the closer we are to disappointing realities of Leave.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

It all seems quite civilised - and it'll be hard for either leader to denounce the other as virulently as in the past if it all works out. I note that the Chief Whip is reported as saying that Corbyn's price is likely to be a referendum, and if that happens I think most Labour people will accept a deal subject to that.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Good. Brexit should be cross party. Hugely damaging tribalism has been at play too long, and probably still is, but being open to compromise is a good thing no matter if party members bleat.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,282

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

It all seems quite civilised - and it'll be hard for either leader to denounce the other as virulently as in the past if it all works out. I note that the Chief Whip is reported as saying that Corbyn's price is likely to be a referendum, and if that happens I think most Labour people will accept a deal subject to that.
    That would mean the EU elections have to be held.
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    We’ve got local elections this year. I doubt I’ll vote. With the Tories granting planning permission to increase the size of the town by 40% with zero additional infrastructure and no credible opposition, there is no point.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Sadly I think that price is too high for May. CU I can see, but referendum means remain, let's not kid ourselves, and she'd probably lose everyone but Hammond.

So I doubt this is serious stuff. Corbyn might personally accept something without a referendum, maybe, but he cannot not ask for one given the party position. May may struggle with that. Even talking to Corbyn is supposedly beyond the pale, let alone giving in on that.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Show off.

People don't run in miles anymore - kilometres is the measurement
    edited April 2019

We’ve got local elections this year. I doubt I’ll vote. With the Tories granting planning permission to increase the size of the town by 40% with zero additional infrastructure and no credible opposition, there is no point.

Vote anyone but Tory. Even MRLP.

Absolutely anyone but Tory.
    edited April 2019

Er... If you don't like it, isn't that all the more reason to vote for someone other than a Tory?

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Show off.

Not on my treadmill it ain't, though I did have to adjust the settings !

Michael Gove sounding extremely nothing has changed.

That is why he won’t get a look in when the leadership election comes.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    GIN1138 said:

+1
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    Put Corbyn's personal views, whatever they might be, aside, and just focus on the tactics - surely it makes sense for Labour to play the People's Vote back at the PM? Rides the wave and leaves her nowhere to go.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Show off.

"PB, better by miles", or "PB, better by kilometers"

GIN1138 said:

Not sure they’ll be standing the locals but with May in charge I’m not sure there is too much difference sadly.
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Think your going to have to do a lot of that between now and Corbyn going to kiss hands with HMQ. :D
    Karma for the misery that LibDem councillors endured during the coalition was sure to arrive back at the Tory doorstep sooner or later.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

Sadly I think that price is too high for May. CU I can see, but referendum means remain, let's not kid ourselves, and she'd probably lose everyone but Hammond.

Indeed. Corbyn's policy was CU last week, SM this week, and will pivot to referendum to stop any chance of a deal.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    IanB2 said:

Put Corbyn's personal views, whatever they might be, aside, and just focus on the tactics - surely it makes sense for Labour to play the People's Vote back at the PM? Rides the wave and leaves her nowhere to go.

If he gets concessions on the deal - CU gor example, he won't want the public to have the chance to reject it. And he will struggle to keep his front bench on board
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,404

You could always bare your arse and glue your hands to the window of the Tory Party offices.
    I predict the Tories will do okay in the locals. The Brexit monomaniacs are big on Twitter but I don't think there are that many out in the wild.

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Show off.

Another reason we voted Leave :-)
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

May will ignore Corbyn and go over his head to Labour backbenchers then.

The facts will back her up, only 10 Labour MPs opposed a Customs Union but 24 Labour MPs voted against a second referendum. 37 Tory MPs voted for a Customs Union but only 15 Tory MPs voted for EUref2.

Deltapoll also has Tory voters backing her Deal plus CU 42% to 27% but Tory voters opposing EUref2 61% to 29%
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

I feel like Corbyn's walking into her trap. The important thing in May's statement was her saying she wouldn't extend beyond 22 May, and wouldn't contest European elections. If Corbyn allows her to go into next week's summit only requesting an extension that long, then it closes off the escape route of a further A50 extension beyond 22 May, because we won't have taken part in the EU elections.

After that, May will be able to just sit there with the clock ticking down to 22 May, stonewalling as usual in her 'talks' with Corbyn and not accepting any of his suggestions (be it a customs union, or referendum, or whatever), then a couple of days before 22 May she can go back to saying "it's the original deal, or No Deal".
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited April 2019
    I'll be very sceptical about the latest evolution of the Brexit process - unless or until it yields a solution. However, if the miracle occurs and May and Corbyn produce a deliverable solution, then one assumes that this can only increase the probability of a Labour Government further down the line?

If Corbyn makes himself look sensible to floating/less engaged voters then some of them are bound to be less wary of putting him into office than they would've been before?

I suppose it all comes down to whether there's any compromise available that can satisfy the Parliamentary Labour Party without risking a Tory collapse? I remain to be convinced that such a solution will be arrived at...
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    IanB2 said:

I think she's banking on Corbyn trying to find a compromise that doesn't involve a referendum. That way, both Tories and Labour will be totally split!

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Show off.

I found more encouragement by counting the furlongs as they were shorter than either.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2019
    Too many Labour MPs rebelled on the referendum indicative vote yesterday for Corbyn to be able to put it forward.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Yes, that was always a bit of a phantom threat. The parties are more or less ready for it, and even if odd parties win lots of seats and sit there for 6-12 months, so what?

But of course there's no agreement yet!
    IanB2 said:

The Labour strategy should be to abstain and thus force a GE.

The fact that they didn't do the blindingly obvious tells you two things, and that's they don't have a clue, and they're playing a game.
    Dadge said:

IanB2 said:

I think she's banking on Corbyn trying to find a compromise that doesn't involve a referendum. That way, both Tories and Labour will be totally split!
    The attraction of PV for Labour is that it allows both its wings to see a path through to victory.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Artist said:

Too many Labour MPs rebelled on the referendum indicative vote yesterday for Corbyn to put be able to put it forward.

Including 9 shadow cabinet/minister abstentions
  • We’ve got local elections this year. I doubt I’ll vote. With the Tories granting planning permission to increase the size of the town by 40% with zero additional infrastructure and no credible opposition, there is no point.

Always vote for some-one then next time, if you change your vote, it has twice the effect.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

If you're right, it seems that May has left it a couple of months too late to make this move. (Sad for her and Corbyn, but great for the drama.) It's really only quite recently that Corbyn has started to come on board with the idea of a referendum, despite the party's wishes. In fact, I think that he and May might still do a dirty little deal to take Britain out of the EU without a referendum, and challenge parliament to vote it down.
  • Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Thanks to Harry for putting together the thread, but either I am missing something significant or I think he's stretching his reading of the data beyond a useful point.
    Is the change in Leave/ Remain support inferred from change in party allegiance only ? Or is there something that I've missed ?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    The idiots just waved goodbye to leaving in April, that's for sure.
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

I feel like Corbyn's walking into her trap. The important thing in May's statement was her saying she wouldn't extend beyond 22 May, and wouldn't contest European elections. If Corbyn allows her to go into next week's summit only requesting an extension that long, then it closes off the escape route of a further A50 extension beyond 22 May, because we won't have taken part in the EU elections.

After that, May will be able to just sit there with the clock ticking down to 22 May, stonewalling as usual in her 'talks' with Corbyn and not accepting any of his suggestions (be it a customs union, or referendum, or whatever), then a couple of days before 22 May she can go back to saying "it's the original deal, or No Deal".
    Which is why Cooper shouldn't blink or be seduced by false prophets.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Awww. diddum he should have quit whilst he was ahead
  • Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Fat_Steve said:

Thanks to Harry for putting together the thread, but either I am missing something significant or I think he's stretching his reading of the data beyond a useful point.
    Is the change in Leave/ Remain support inferred from change in party allegiance only ? Or is there something that I've missed ?

Ah, so we are to infer from the vote chnges, that leave areas are less happy with the government than remain areas? Well, maybe. But I suspect that we're missing a lot of variables.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    I'm not convinced that you and him really belong in the same party, you know...

This, of course, is the fault of the UK's archaic electoral system. If we had something that didn't force politicians to stay in these miserable marriage of convenience parties then both Labour and the Conservatives would cleave into two or three parts tomorrow.

So long as we don't change to AV. It's shit.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

This has cheered me right up

Moi aussi. Imagine, perhaps unlikely as it is, the current route seals a deal, and we end up actually leaving with a soft Brexit .... all the right people would be upset.

Adonis/Grayling would be wailing.

Baker/Francois and the ERGoloons would feel betrayed.

Grieve would be distraught all his scheming to overturn the vote came to nothing.

• Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Have people really forgotten that May has done this exact same "talks with opposition leader(s)" PR stunt twice already this year, and both times she just didn't engage with any of the suggestions those leaders made in those talks, and then after a few days went back to saying "my deal is the only way"? Why would it be any different this time?
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

The facts will back her up, only 10 Labour MPs opposed a Customs Union but 24 Labour MPs voted against a second referendum. 37 Tory MPs voted for a Customs Union but only 15 Tory MPs voted for EUref2.

Deltapoll also has Tory voters backing her Deal plus CU 42% to 27% but Tory voters opposing EUref2 61% to 29%
    Labour party discipline has been in stark contrast to Tory over the last few weeks. Very few rebels, so why is that going to change now? I am not convinced that you have very good insight into Labour MPs thinking!
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    Yes, don't know if any progress will be made, but for sure it's upset all the right people: JRM and Anne Marie Morris also very pissed off.
    edited April 2019

Er... If you don't like it, isn't that all the more reason to vote for someone other than a Tory?
    Why - the others are no better
    "Cox came in behind the PM"

Ms K is having a laugh.
    Danny565 said:

Have people really forgotten that May has done this exact same "talks with opposition leader(s)" PR stunt twice already this year, and both times she just didn't engage with any of the suggestions those leaders made in those talks, and then after a few days went back to saying "my deal is the only way"? Why would it be any different this time?

Yes, Nothing Has Changed!
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I have canvassed in local elections in good times and bad and will continue to do so, including the terrible 2012 locals and my first canvassing experience for the Tories was the 1997 general election so let nobody say I have not gone into the trenches when needed (I expect we will be out again later in the week and at the weekend).

There is still a long way until the next election and whatever Deal May gets through (which I will support in terms of the WA certainly) I expect Boris or Raab to be leading the party once the election comes making it a whole different ball game in terms of the future relationship
    The key to the Cabinet is to know what options were discussed during the hours and hours they met, before the PM rejected them and reached her final position. Hopefully somebody will leak the minutes to LK as before.
  • I'm not convinced that you and him really belong in the same party, you know...

This, of course, is the fault of the UK's archaic electoral system. If we had something that didn't force politicians to stay in these miserable marriage of convenience parties then both Labour and the Conservatives would cleave into two or three parts tomorrow.

AV is shit? Where's the banhammer?

If Ken Clarke, David Herdson, Richard Nabavi, Tissue Price, and JohnO are in the same party as myself then I'm content.

HYUFD said:

Are you a candidate this time round?
    Standing for town not district
  • Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Labour party discipline has been in stark contrast to Tory over the last few weeks. Very few rebels, so why is that going to change now? I am not convinced that you have very good insight into Labour MPs thinking!
    Labour Party 'discipline' is down to awareness that Tories are currently toxic. No Labour MP will want to be seen to be helping them extricate themselves from their difficulties.
  • AlanCAlanC Posts: 10
    Corbyn's manoveuring over the last few months has been designed to avoid committing to a referendum. This process won't lead to one. It suits both parties to blame the Conservatives for blocking a People's Vote. The open question is what compromises Labour will need to give in return for the government agreeing to a custom's union.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Yes, that was always a bit of a phantom threat. The parties are more or less ready for it, and even if odd parties win lots of seats and sit there for 6-12 months, so what?

But of course there's no agreement yet!
    Suppose the party 'X' wins most of the seats in the EU parliamentary elections in the UK. How on earth can you reconcile that with our democratic imperative to deliver the referendum result.

• Excellent - hopefully private francois will catch this camera-shy ailment asap too.

If Ken Clarke, David Herdson, Richard Nabavi, Tissue Price, and JohnO are in the same party as myself then I'm content.
    Is that the "Not obsessed by Europe and Gays" party?

Why - the others are no better
    Well your call, of course but I alsways think if you don't like the government/council use your vote to vote for one of the opposition parties, it's all you can do.
    Seeing Conservative Party membership cards being cut up on Twitter. The Tories as we have known them are over. I wonder what comes next?
    Seeing Conservative Party membership cards being cut up on Twitter. The Tories as we have known them are over. I wonder what comes next?
  • Yes, don't know if any progress will be made, but for sure it's upset all the right people: JRM and Anne Marie Morris also very pissed off.
    IDS is fewmin', babe, according to Twitter.
  • Foxy said:

Is that the "Not obsessed by Europe and Gays" party?
    Yup.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2019
    Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

The Labour strategy should be to abstain and thus force a GE.

The fact that they didn't do the blindingly obvious tells you two things, and that's they don't have a clue, and they're playing a game.
    Labour abstaining would be a terrible tactic. The government would pass an MV straight away, and would not call a GE then 70% of Labour voters would be very pissed off with Corbyn.
    Danny565 said:

Time has passed, more votes have been lost, May is a victim of the clock ticking down as much as anyone.
    Artist said:

Too many Labour MPs rebelled on the referendum indicative vote yesterday for Corbyn to be able to put it forward.

Customs Union perhaps...

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

Labour Party 'discipline' is down to awareness that Tories are currently toxic. No Labour MP will want to be seen to be helping them extricate themselves from their difficulties.
    I what way is that going to change by next week?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

So far all they've done is indicate they want to avoid no deal.
  • Excellent - hopefully private francois will catch this camera-shy ailment asap too.
    I wonder if they'll go all Jonestown on us?

Even the village idiot has caught up.

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/status/1113149571616604161
    HYUFD said:

There is still a long way until the next election and whatever Deal May gets through

Is there?
    edited April 2019

Danny565 said:

Time has passed, more votes have been lost, May is a victim of the clock ticking down as much as anyone.
    Indeed. If May was prepared to countenance No Deal we'd have left last week.
    The got 40% of the vote in a GE, he's already legitimised, what is he on about?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    HYUFD said:

If its any consolation. We've decided to turn a couple of canvassing sessions into leafleting sessions. Its pretty febrile for both parties right now. The hard core Brexiteers 35,000 in Chesterfield compared to 23.000 Remainers are very very very angry.
This discussion has been closed.