Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why punters have got it right making a 2019 general election a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why punters have got it right making a 2019 general election a 45% chance

Following the latest developments in the Commons it is clear that the house as currently constituted is going to be troublesome for the prime minister whoever he or she is for as long as we don’t have a general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First.
  • Options
    It’ll be fun.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First after DSQs.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Second
  • Options
    The ERG will be awarded the Order of Lenin if Corbyn becomes PM.
  • Options
    FPT:
    IanB2 said:

Programme Motion debate starts. Cross-party (Benn) amendment called. Other amendments not called, although Letwin says he supports votes on Monday if Brexit isn't resolved.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    I don't think TIG would want an early election.

Just reading that Corbyn will demand a Customs Union. alignment on workers rights, but won't demand F o M, a second referendum, or taking part in Euro elections.

Is that a runner?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

Just reading that Corbyn will demand a Customs Union. alignment on workers rights, but won't demand F o M, a second referendum, or taking part in Euro elections.

Is that a runner?

Probably not in the Labour Party!

But it might be a runner in parliament.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

It's as good as May is going to get at this stage. As tough a sell to his party as a CU is to the Tories, maybe tougher.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

Not for most of labour...He'll send the PV movement mad if not another referendum.

He really wants to leave doesn't he..
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

Not for most of labour...He'll send the PV movement mad if not another referendum.

My guess is that watering down Brexit + second referendum is unsellable to a very large majority of Conservative MP's.

If people are required to make concessions, they won't then concede the right to campaign against the deal that has been reached.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Hang on. TIG "would love the opportunity to test their electoral potency..."
    By elections are available.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

Corbyn is as desperate to leave as Peter Bone. They'll probably take us out on a three-line whip on terms like that.

Meanwhile:

Petition To Revoke - 6,000,000 signatures
    Petition to Leave with No Deal - 10x fewer

This latest manifestation of public feeling doesn't exactly support a position towards the hard Brexit end of the 52%, i.e. SM + CU being at the soft end.
  • Options
    There's a possibility that even if both May and Corbyn whip for the final May-Corbyn Customs Brexit it doesn't pass the house.
    Unlikely, but there will be a big rebellion from both sides. Thangam Debonnaire probably won't want to be a teller for any sort of Brexit for instance.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:
    Sensible stuff from Nick Herbert. He could have added that it also takes us out of the CAP and CFP.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

My guess is that watering down Brexit + second referendum is unsellable to a very large majority of Conservative MP's.

If people are required to make concessions, they won't then concede the right to campaign against the deal that has been reached.
    If the ERG are 'truely' of the opinion that staying is better than being part of the CU/BINO then they might start campaigning for a referendum and to stay...

LOL
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

If the ERG are 'truely' of the opinion that staying is better than being part of the CU/BINO then they might start campaigning for a referendum and to stay...

LOL
    I would not be surprised.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Pulpstar said:

There's a possibility that even if both May and Corbyn whip for the final May-Corbyn Customs Brexit it doesn't pass the house.
    Unlikely, but there will be a big rebellion from both sides. Thangam Debonnaire probably won't want to be a teller for any sort of Brexit for instance.

It's certainly a possibility.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited April 2019
    It's unwise to jump ahead of oneself by hours, let alone days, at the moment. However, let's suppose May-Corbyn find a compromise that doesn't include a 2nd ref. Although Keir Starmer is going to be at the meeting, it's clear that JC is lukewarm about it, so let's just go with that for a moment.

A compromise WA-CU+ comes to the house with the alleged support of both parties (ho ho), that would then be amendable.

In that scenario it's going to be fascinating to see what happens to a 2nd Ref amendment. It will be do or die and I could see it garnering support in unusual ways, including from Brexiteers. Of course, were they to take the risk of adding 'No Deal' as one of the options to a 2nd Ref they'd probably land a huge majority. But it's a big gamble. (Because No Deal might win in the country.)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

LOL
    I would not be surprised.
    Rees-Mogg could campaign on a platform of reforming the EU from the inside, along with his allies in the AfD and Front National.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    dixiedean said:

Indeed. Perhaps they're worried about losing their own seats (hint: they are), but there's also one tomorrow they ducked.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

The ERG will be awarded the Order of Lenin if Corbyn becomes PM.

Don't worry - their record of seeing off Mrs May isn't good.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2019
    I wonder whether May's promise to resign was dependent on her deal passing or any deal. If she wants to see through any Customs Union plan that the house passes, then there obviously won't be an election any time soon.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Indeed. Perhaps they're worried about losing their own seats (hint: they are), but there's also one tomorrow they ducked.
    The way the Tories are going, they'll be in company.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

TOPPING said:
    Sensible stuff from Nick Herbert. He could have added that it also takes us out of the CAP and CFP.
    Useful post from Nick Herbert, and I like the Motions Table summary too.

I had thought "CM2.0" was a better outcome than Ken Clarke's "CU" proposal, but I am not so sure now. Will "CU" really tick all the same boxes as May's Deal other than "independent trade policy" - which I think most of us have decided is not really worth the fag of wrecking the economy for.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

It's certainly a possibility.
    More likely to emerge through amendments than by defeating the proposal altogether
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I reckon that if there is a deal that Corbyn and May can sign up to, it'll get through however grudgingly. The sheer power of the payroll vote on both sides + those desperate to get Brexit over the line. Has there ever been a vote both the PM and LOTO have supported that didn't get through?

On the other hand, anything that gets through 285-280 with a stack of abstentions, is never going to work out, just wait till the amendments on the Withdrawal Bill come flying in.

Realistically if you actually want to deliver Brexit, something that May AND Corbyn can sign up to is the only way you can see it through.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I had thought "CM2.0" was a better outcome than Ken Clarke's "CU" proposal, but I am not so sure now. Will "CU" really tick all the same boxes as May's Deal other than "independent trade policy" - which I think most of us have decided is not really worth the fag of wrecking the economy for.
    I too prefer a Boles CM2.0 Brexit, but CU potentially doesn't break May's FoM red line so it's a goer.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I await the 2am knock on the door from two men in leather overcoats...

What you and those chaps from Grindr get up to in the middle of the night at the Brunei embassy is an entirely private matter ....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Jezza been seen marching into Downing St to give Theresa her orders yet? :D
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Have the delinquent duo reached an exciting cross-party consensus, agreeing to blame one another for failing to agree anything else, yet?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

Yes but with the ERG imploding and Steve Baker doing his Vesuvius turn on the hour, every hour.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Actually I think he'll find The Big Society crashed and burned with the Posh Boys 2010 general election shambles.

What the hell WAS that? :D
  • Options

TOPPING said:

We couldn't set our own external tariffs, so from that point of view we'd have a little less 'sovereignty'. However, EU tariffs are actually mostly very low anyway, so it's not of any great practical importance. On the plus side, a customs union arrangement makes the Irish border issue a bit easier (it doesn't solve it completely, but at least you haven't got to worry about tariffs and checks on goods).

Overall I think it's a reasonable compromise, and not in practice very different from what Theresa May was trying to do. The lack of ability to enter into our own full-blown FTAs is of little importance IMO; we'd have a lot of difficulty anyway, and nothing we could do would compensate for the loss (in a no-deal scenario) of the mother of all FTAs, with the EU27.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:
    Actually I think he'll find The Big Society crashed and burned with the Posh Boys 2010 general election shambles.

The sooner all parties stops picking these pole climbing grasping PPE clones the better.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    The biggest obstacle to the future of the Conservative Party is that they don’t appeal to the young, he says. For the Party, “young” is now “below 47”. “We need to find new voters,” he says.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:
    And the contrary opinion, held by the vast majority of Conservatives
    It always seems incoherent for the likes of Hannan to think that being part of a regulatory union in which we have no say is fine and dandy, but being part of a customs union is monstrous.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    The biggest obstacle to the future of the Conservative Party is that they don’t appeal to the young, he says. For the Party, “young” is now “below 47”. “We need to find new voters,” he says.
    I've just turned 46, and find the current Conservative Party utterly unsupportable. Too many of its MPs have gone utterly insane.

And as for Labour ...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699

Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

Leaver wants to Leave shocker.
    The real shock is those supporters of his who did no background reading on him, and just imposed their own believes onto him and assume he thinks the same.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

We couldn't set our own external tariffs, so from that point of view we'd have a little less 'sovereignty'. However, EU tariffs are actually mostly very low anyway, so it's not of any great practical importance. On the plus side, a customs union arrangement makes the Irish border issue a bit easier (it doesn't solve it completely, but at least you haven't got to worry about tariffs and checks on goods).

Overall I think it's a reasonable compromise, and not in practice very different from what Theresa May was trying to do. The lack of ability to enter into our own full-blown FTAs is of little importance IMO; we'd have a lot of difficulty anyway, and nothing we could do would compensate for the loss (in a no-deal scenario) of the mother of all FTAs, with the EU27.
    Yes. The big issue if it was a CU with the CU is that there would be no incentive for anyone to do a free trade deal with us as they would have asymmetric access to our markets. But in the absence of anything else and as you say bearing in mind the enormity of the EU wrt our trade then it could be a goer.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Point 3 is the worrying one for exporters. But we are where we are.
  • Options
    A reminder that future parliaments are not bound by their predecessors.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Yes I know all that. So what is Mr Hannan's (and your) alternative. That could get through the house.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    Yes I know all that. So what is Mr Hannan's (and your) alternative. That could get through the house.
    Hannan's alternative is Remain and Complain.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

At our recent Conservative constituency AGM a new chairman was appointed, who I think will make considerable efforts to try to encourage younger people to join the party. But as a very senior member said to me afterwards: "Anyone under 50 who'd heard tonight's discussion would run a mile.'

We have a big, big problem, and as Sam Gyimah says, we've gone a long way backwards since the Cameron days.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. The big issue if it was a CU with the CU is that there would be no incentive for anyone to do a free trade deal with us as they would have asymmetric access to our markets. But in the absence of anything else and as you say bearing in mind the enormity of the EU wrt our trade then it could be a goer.
    Even less of an incentive if we No Deal and zero rate our tariffs...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Even less of an incentive if we No Deal and zero rate our tariffs...
    Well exactly.
  • Options

I've just turned 46, and find the current Conservative Party utterly unsupportable. Too many of its MPs have gone utterly insane.

And as for Labour ...

Just let the frustrations go and get out the paint ball gun and er .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    Hannon has been flipping and flopping all over the place. Typical tosser journo-politician, hasn't got a clue about the real world.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Utterly OT, and 8 years out of date, but I just got a mage with 100 Conjuration in Skyrim (and visiting Winterhold repeatedly is a pain in Survival Mode, with no fast travel and freezing temperatures). It's rather nice strolling through dungeons with a pair of Dremora Lords seeing to anyone who gets near me.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

At our recent Conservative constituency AGM a new chairman was appointed, who I think will make considerable efforts to try to encourage younger people to join the party. But as a very senior member said to me afterwards: "Anyone under 50 who'd heard tonight's discussion would run a mile.'

We have a big, big problem, and as Sam Gyimah says, we've gone a long way backwards since the Cameron days.
    Cameron seemed to think modernisation meant promoting ERG-type nutters in a quid-pro-quo for giving him leeway on the social issues. The state of the party now is the culmination of Cameron's strategy.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    TM and JC should agree that we remain in the EU Customs Union until a fully fledged Free Trade Agreement with the EU replaces it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

The sooner all parties stops picking these pole climbing grasping PPE clones the better.
    Yes, he really looks like a Tory clone I must say!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Cameron seemed to think modernisation meant promoting ERG-type nutters in a quid-pro-quo for giving him leeway on the social issues. The state of the party now is the culmination of Cameron's strategy.
    No, he really didn't.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I think not in his wildest dreams did he think that, Jurassic Park-like, that all those fossils would come back to life.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    New York Times:

It's being led by a ship of fools — a Conservative Party bloc that is now radical in its obsession with leaving Europe and a Labour Party that has gone Marxist. If the people here can’t force their politicians to compromise with one another and with reality (there’s still a glimmer of hope that this might happen), there is going to be a crackup of the British political system and some serious economic pain. This is scary.

https://nyti.ms/2K1BcIl
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I had never thought of it like that, but I think you may well be right.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

Yes, he really looks like a Tory clone I must say!
    Bit Gammony of you Nigel. Try not to judge people on their unearned characteristics.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    To be honest, remaining in the EU and being shits from the inside is way better than anything involving a customs union with the organisation we just left. It’s the worst possible outcome.

https://twitter.com/gimblemusk/status/1113370024348213248
  • Options
    @NicolaSturgeon: "Just had a positive meeting with @jeremycorbyn - I’d be surprised and very disappointed if Labour sold out for such a bad deal."
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217

IanB2 said:

I had never thought of it like that, but I think you may well be right.
    No I think an ageing and declining membership kept selecting nutjobs - Cameron tried modernisation which sent Woolaston to parliament out of an open primary. He did not see it through (like a lot of things) as he bored easily.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

I think not in his wildest dreams did he think that, Jurassic Park-like, that all those fossils would come back to life.
    I think Mark Francois looks a little more like Mr Stay Puft from Ghostbusters
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214

IanB2 said:

Indeed, and I'm not sure all those A Listers parachuted into safe seats in 2010 have returned Dave's favour.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

I'm sorry; you think Sam Gyimah looks like your typical Oxford PPE graduate?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Nigelb said:
    I think he nearly got it right the third time. Anyway, he hasn't totally lost it, because he did eventually manage to think of an alternative word. It's fine.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    To be honest, remaining in the EU and being shits from the inside is way better than anything involving a customs union with the organisation we just left. It’s the worst possible outcome.
    Welcome back to the fold. We will only tell you once every fifteen minutes that we told you it would likely end up like this.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

That's Brexit for you ...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Stay Puft is huge, he's more like Slimer I think.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    JackW said:

And as for Labour ...

Just let the frustrations go and get out the paint ball gun and er .... :smiley:
    I have a four year old son. He's bad enough with a child's Nerf gun. Given the damage he can do with a foam dart, he's not seeing paintballs until he's at least 25 ... ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2019

IanB2 said:

No, he really didn't.
    Gove frames it fairly explicitly like that in this 2009 interview. (At a time when the Shadow Europe Minister was none other than Mark Francois.)

"Because he was clear on those areas [e.g. Europe], he had permission from the base to move to the centre on issues of social policy like health and education, and also on the environment."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvNJ5nUOpDo
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    geoffw said:

TM and JC should agree that we remain in the EU Customs Union until a fully fledged Free Trade Agreement with the EU replaces it.

Isn't that called the WA Backstop?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

"Sulkily, gormlessly, ignorantly...." So says Daniel Hannan....Matthew Ch 7:V5 springs to mind. What a sanctimonious cretin.
  • Options
  • Options
    A long stream of nitpicking objections to the Programme Motion from Brexiters, which Letwin has dealt with effectively. The debate is running out of steam and hopefully will go to a vote soon.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

I'm sorry; you think Sam Gyimah looks like your typical Oxford PPE graduate?
    Indeed!
  • Options
    How on earth did Hannan think his Brexit vision was going to come about when the entire leave campaign was based almost entirely on immigration ?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Sean_F said:

Is that a runner?

Theresa must know that CU is the absolute minimum Corbyn would ask for, so he's not exactly pushing the boat out. I wonder how the alignment on workers rights would actually be enshrined in law...?
  • Options

Gove frames it fairly explicitly like that in this 2009 interview.

"Because he was clear on those areas [e.g. Europe], he had permission from the base to move to the centre on issues of social policy like health and education, and also on the environment."

That's not what you said.

Of course, like any party leader, he couldn't ignore a substantial body of opinion in the party, any more than Harold Wilson could ignore the hard left or Maggie the 'wets'.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    Also "helpfully" misses out Scotland and Wales....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How on earth did Hannan think his Brexit vision was going to come about when the entire leave campaign was based almost entirely on immigration ?

He thought that as soon as the vote was over, all the Remainers would back him versus the rest of the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    Welcome back to the fold. We will only tell you once every fifteen minutes that we told you it would likely end up like this.
    LOL. My preferences in order:

Deal with no backstop
    No Deal
    EEA/EFTA Deal
    May’s Deal
    Remain in EU
    Anything involving a customs union.

A CU is an utterly bonkers idea - it locks in all the possible negatives of leaving the EU, whilst foregoing all the positives. It’s the very definition of a vassal state, leaves the EU having every incentive to screw the U.K. over at every opportunity in the future.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Leavers are thick as mince argument regularly cite Dan Hannan as prime example.
  • Options

Gove frames it fairly explicitly like that in this 2009 interview.

That's not what you said.

Of course, like any party leader, he couldn't ignore a substantial body of opinion in the party, any more than Harold Wilson could ignore the hard left or Maggie the 'wets'.
    I just edited my comment to add that Mark Francois was his Shadow Europe Minister. He also brought David Campbell Bannerman back in from UKIP.

He went well beyond not ignoring them.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    I am not sure I have said " told you so" yet, so here we go: "told you so". I think only every fifteen minutes will be a bit restrained
  • Options
    JohnO said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed, and I'm not sure all those A Listers parachuted into safe seats in 2010 have returned Dave's favour.
    The “Cutie” I spent days canvassing for, lasted only two years before giving up on the whole MP idea to move to the States. Grr...
  • Options
    The country is hardening towards rock hard Brexit at the same time as Theresa's on her knees begging Jezza to come up with any deal he possibly can for her.... :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Stay Puft is huge, he's more like Slimer I think.
    OK, a short arse Mr Stay Puft. Slimer is too amusing to be Francois
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Also "helpfully" misses out Scotland and Wales....
    Just Scotland. Wales voted Leave.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A CU is an utterly bonkers idea - it locks in all the possible negatives of leaving the EU, whilst foregoing all the positives....

Interesting. So you don't see any of these as positives from leaving the EU?

- Control over immigration
    - Leaving the CAP
    - Leaving the CFP
    - Ending the direct application of EU law to domestic issues outside product regulation
    - Leaving the political structures of the EU
    - Being free of ever-closer union
    - Sending £350m a week to Brussels (yes, I know, I know...)

In other words, you thought 95%+ of what Vote Leave campaigned on wasn't actually anything positive?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:

JohnO said:

IanB2 said:

The “Cutie” I spent days canvassing for, lasted only two years before giving up on the whole MP idea to move to the States. Grr...
    Corby limey!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    LOL. My preferences in order:

Deal with no backstop
    No Deal
    EEA/EFTA Deal
    May’s Deal
    Remain in EU
    Anything involving a customs union.

A CU is an utterly bonkers idea - it locks in all the possible negatives of leaving the EU, whilst foregoing all the positives. It’s the very definition of a vassal state, leaves the EU having every incentive to screw the U.K. over at every opportunity in the future.
    Sandpit - you're an intelligent guy. What's it about the Backstop that worries you?

1. The WA includes a provision for international arbitration regarding the commitment for implementing a technical solution, so if the EU does not follow through on its treaty commitments, we can walk away anyway.

2. The EU doesn't actually want us to be in the Backstop. Let's not forget that the backstop - as well as the Customs Union - also involves us being in the Single Market for goods (like Switzrtland), but without the free movement or fees. That's not something the EU would want to persist, because - errr... - the Swiss would soon start complaining about their deal.
This discussion has been closed.