Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boost for beleaguered TMay as the Tories hold second place in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boost for beleaguered TMay as the Tories hold second place in Newport W with swing from LAB to CON

Newport West Result:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Much of a nothingness by-election to be honest.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    FPT
    fitalass said:

First reactions to the Newport by-election on both turnout & the result. If I was a Conservative MP who does not have a comfortable majority, I would be worried. But if I was a Labour MP outside London and without a comfortable majority in strong Leave constituency, I would be very worried indeed.

It shows that even in a ‘Leave’ seat, the Labour vote can splinter towards pro-Remain parties.

FPT

fitalass said:

First reactions to the Newport by-election on both turnout & the result. If I was a Conservative MP who does not have a comfortable majority, I would be worried. But if I was a Labour MP outside London and without a comfortable majority in strong Leave constituency, I would be very worried indeed.

It shows that even in a ‘Leave’ seat, the Labour vote can splinter towards pro-Remain parties.
    It shows in a by-election the major parties votes can splinter towards minor parties.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019

Much of a nothingness by-election to be honest.

How common is it for the main opposition party to drop 13 percentage points at a by-election?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    As a moderate leaver I say this without any joy, but the rise in the UKIP share of the vote - with Neil Hamilton of all people - must surely be an alarm klaxon in the shape of things to come if we end up remaining.
    kyf_100 said:

As a moderate leaver I say this without any joy, but the rise in the UKIP share of the vote - with Neil Hamilton of all people - must surely be an alarm klaxon in the shape of things to come if we end up remaining.

They got almost double that share of the vote in 2015.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    kyf_100 said:

8.6% isn't an alarm klaxon, it's a little farty sound

kyf_100 said:

They got almost double that share of the vote in 2015.
    They had a functioning party and a leader people had heard of in 2015.

What I see from this result is that when given a free hit, leavers are willing to dump Lab/Con and lend UKIP a protest vote. Even though UKIP are barely a party any more.

If we do end up participating in euro elections later this year this result will inform my betting.

I voted leave but I take no joy in seeing the UKIP share of vote rise while lab/con fall.

kyf_100 said:

Sometimes a fart is an early warning...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    A Curate's egg for the main parties:

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1113962288707448838
    edited April 2019
    And another view (tho notable who they don't comment upon...):

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1113976005012664321
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019

And another view (tho notable who they don't comment upon...):

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1113976005012664321

Perhaps they aren't sure if UKIP is ENF (Savlini/Le Pen) or EFDD (Farage and five star) - as some of their MEPs still sit with Farage in the latter although Batten sits with the former in Brussels

Perhaps Neil Hamilton isn't sure!

Didn't realise the new Renew party was allied with Mrs Merkel and Mr Juncker! Perhaps the Lib Dems stopped them joning with the Liberals.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    brendan16 said:

Didn't realise the new Renew party was allied with Mrs Merkel and Mr Juncker! Perhaps the Lib Dems stopped them joning with the Liberals.

Somebody ran a party like this in London in the last Euros as well. I guess it's weird that Britain doesn't have a conservative party, and they thought they should test how popular one would be. (Not massively popular, it turns out.)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,910
    JICIPM?
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Latest Brexit rumour: Tusk preparing to offer 12-month A50 extension, with early exit clause if a Withdrawal Agreement is ratified. That's a whole extra year for Parliament to agree on nothing, if true. And if the 27 are willing to go along with it.

With respect to the by-election, I'd tend to agree that it isn't very revealing. Labour will be satisfied to have held, the Tories will be satisfied that their vote share has not gone completely down the loo (and, indeed, has held up a bit better than Labour's,) but that's about it.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    The tweet from the Tory last night suggested it had been damned hard work getting their vote out, or stopping it drifting over to UKIP. The management expectaton from Labour suggested the same. All candidates got into three figures, on a low turnout, suggesting there's no love left for the big two parties.

Not a surprise there. But there will be plenty of MPs uneasy about their job security this morning, if we are headed for an early election. Time to finally pass May's Shit Deal?
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

The tweet from the Tory last night suggested it had been damned hard work getting their vote out, or stopping it drifting over to UKIP. The management expectaton from Labour suggested the same. All candidates got into three figures, on a low turnout, suggesting there's no love left for the big two parties.

Not a surprise there. But there will be plenty of MPs uneasy about their job security this morning, if we are headed for an early election. Time to finally pass May's Shit Deal?

I doubt it. Too many entrenched positions, especially given that the No Dealers and People's Voters are both in with a chance of winning if a straightforward MV4 fails or is never held.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,732
    How do you lose a quarter of your vote share in a seat you've held for 30 years when the government has been in power for nine years and looks like a refugee from a sketch by Monty Python?

Part of it may be Flynn's personal vote share unwinding. People who would have voted for him probably saw no reason to vote for Labour at this moment.

But it's still a poor result for Labour.

It's funny that Corbyn, who whatever his many faults is undoubtedly a superb campaigner and street pounder, simply can't get by-elections right. Copeland was of course the most disastrous but Stoke and now Newport are showing that Labour are simply no good at them.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

kyf_100 said:

If UKIP cannot reach 10% on a much reduced turnout during the current fiasco, then they are toast. Nothing to fear here.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The central point for me is that both main parties lost vote share. The hoovering up that took place between them in 2017 unwound and then some. Now this may just be because it’s a by-election but it potentially makes the next election very difficult to predict indeed.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    You can’t read anything into a safe seat by-election that we don’t already know. Turnout warps everything.

The central point for me is that both main parties lost vote share. The hoovering up that took place between them in 2017 unwound and then some. Now this may just be because it’s a by-election but it potentially makes the next election very difficult to predict indeed.

How often have I said that the next election will be decided by who loses the least number of votes? It's still very likely to be true.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited April 2019
    So much for all these anecdotes that people are desperate for the chance to protest about not getting Brexit.

UKIP share only just over half what they got in 2015. Boosts for various anti-Brexit parties. Low turnout. No real enthusiasm for the larger parties but otherwise little to see here.

Another MP for the side of sanity in parliament, hopefully.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. B2, after yesterday, there's never been a clearer indication of which MPs really are wet.
    I'm having trouble getting a stable connection to PB.

I blame Brexit, Corbyn and all these unicorns you see everywhere on the site.
    IanB2 said:

Really? I thought she was joining Labour.

(While I know what you meant, I don't think there is a sane side in Parliament right now.)
    edited April 2019

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. B2, after yesterday, there's never been a clearer indication of which MPs really are wet.

It set a new record for leaking to the press corps.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

FPT

fitalass said:

A ghost from the past Fitalaff back, CCHQ must really be scared.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Demob happy again? Do you finish for Easter this weekend or next?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    kyf_100 said:

I wonder if name recognition had anything to do with it - he's famous but can't remember why.
    ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1113890811912032257
    A no-deal Brexit could have "significant implications" on an EU-led military operation in Bosnia, European diplomats have warned.

The U.K. plays a key role in Operation Althea, the European Union's peacekeeping mission based in Sarajevo, but might have to withdraw abruptly from the deployment in case of a no-deal departure....

The U.K. currently provides "most of the capabilities" in terms of military force and intelligence, a third diplomat said.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-warns-of-brexit-implications-on-peacekeeping-mission-in-bosnia/

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    Seems like there was an overall move to Remain-backing parties in a constituency that voted Leave in 2016. It was a low turnout, so we can’t read too much into it - except that Remain-backers are pretty energised and Labour potentially has a very, very big problem.

It’s worth remembering that in most Leave constituencies most Remain voters were Labour voters. It doesn’t take many of those Remain voters to feel betrayed and to switch for Labour to be in all kinds of trouble.

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1113890811912032257
    Does he work for the Student Loan Company? He can't even work out when it's April 1st.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

If UKIP cannot reach 10% on a much reduced turnout during the current fiasco, then they are toast. Nothing to fear here.
    Ditto the Lib Dem’s, Renew, Greens, etc.

Seems like there was an overall move to Remain-backing parties in a constituency that voted Leave in 2016. It was a low turnout, so we can’t read too much into it - except that Remain-backers are pretty energised and Labour potentially has a very, very big problem.

It’s worth remembering that in most Leave constituencies most Remain voters were Labour voters. It doesn’t take many of those Remain voters to feel betrayed and to switch for Labour to be in all kinds of trouble.

Which does of course presuppose Brexit is the key driver of their vote choice. For Labour, there is of course evidence to suggest it isn't, although that could change.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    School's have been out for a week in Scotland
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

You can’t read anything into a safe seat by-election that we don’t already know. Turnout warps everything.

Probably right. It seems unsurprising that voters aren't keen on either major party. The difference though is that if Labour changed leader (to someone without the baggage) they would likely get an immediate boost. A change of leader for the Tories by contrast would have the opposite affect
    ydoethur said:

Which does of course presuppose Brexit is the key driver of their vote choice. For Labour, there is of course evidence to suggest it isn't, although that could change.
    People who aren't obsessed by Brexit have to vote for someone.

That over 6,000 voters turned out for UKIP in 2015 yet only 2,000 last night suggests the size of the angry army has been overestimated. Farage's tiny March and rally suggest the same.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    If you’re drawing comparisons, you might note that one chamber is actually elected...

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

kyf_100 said:

I wonder if name recognition had anything to do with it - he's famous but can't remember why.
    Everyone's got a soft spot for cash in a plain brown envelope
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    Do you guys not read UKpollingreport by Anthony Wells? After almost every by-election he writes almost the same thing...

"As usual, by-elections don’t tell us a huge amount about the bigger political picture, but are very important in setting the political narrative.

By-elections are very unusual beasts. Because they don’t decide who will form the government for the next five years, only who will be the local MP, people are comparatively free to use them to register a protest. They are much more fiercely contested than your average seat at a general election. The constituency itself will also normally have its own local ideosyncracities that mean it can’t just be read as if it is a microcosm of Britain as a whole. So when people ask me what by-elections tell us, I normally say not much: if the change in the vote is in line with what the national polls are showing then it tells us nothing we didn’t already know, if the change is different to the national polls it’s probably just because by-elections are very different to general elections."

This was after the Stoke and Copeland Byelections in 2015
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9811
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Slackers.

Might that explain your misused apostrophe ?

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Inner Grammar Nazi begins the Horst Wessel...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Newport West is a remarkably average seat:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Newport West

Newport West/Wales/GB

Economic Position 5° Left 9° Left 0°
    National Position 1° Nat 0° 0°
    EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    British Identity 31% 26% 29%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Education 38% 36% 39%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    Average Age 48.9 49.6 48.5
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Really? I thought she was joining Labour.

(While I know what you meant, I don't think there is a sane side in Parliament right now.)
    Fair comment. I simply meant she is likely to add one to the numbers supporting Cooper/Letwin and a softer Brexit.
    Roger said:

kyf_100 said:

Everyone's got a soft spot for cash in a plain brown envelope
    An interesting canvassing technique. Must have run out of envelopes, I guess.

• That Lab to Con swing is huge.

Utter vindication for Mrs May and her strategy on Brexit.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Inner Grammar Nazi begins the Horst Wessel...
    That apostrophe was positively butchered.

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Slackers.

It could be the early hour and my tea not having penetrated yet possibly, though more likely that I was busy laughing as my wife was looking at Rate my Haircut and it was a hoot. I could also say I was only speaking about one particular school mind you, if I was being pedantic, given they tend to all close at different times etc up here just to confuse people.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Probably right. It seems unsurprising that voters aren't keen on either major party. The difference though is that if Labour changed leader (to someone without the baggage) they would likely get an immediate boost. A change of leader for the Tories by contrast would have the opposite affect
    Given the TV coverage, the parties are lucky anyone turns out for a foregone conclusion.
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Slackers.

I could also say I was only speaking about one particular school mind you.
    In that case it should be 'school has.'
    No sign that May has learnt anything , pig headed till the end.
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/17552156.sturgeon-no-sign-of-may-compromising-on-brexit-deal/
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Slackers.

Bah Humbug, ok it was laziness and not checking what I posted.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122

That Lab to Con swing is huge.

TBF any swing in that direction is pretty impressive. There may be a level of sympathy there for T. May which would disappear among some of the other contenders for her job. The mistakes she has made have been manifold but her basic position right now is sound
    edited April 2019
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Yes. The almost inexplicable parity of the two main parties arises almost entirely from the personalities of both leaders. In particular the Tories underestimate sympathy support for Mrs May, among those not paying much attention, at their peril.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Slackers.

Bah Humbug, ok it was laziness and not checking what I posted.
    Your penance is to watch The Last Jedi three times.

And on that sentence, I have a last day to get to. Have a good day, everyone!
    If the BBC is right his reply will be that we can have up to a year, with a flexible early redemption option if we get an agreement earlier.

That Lab to Con swing is huge.

Strong and Stable government, not a Coalition of Chaos!

12 month flextension, probably good but is a terribble neoligism.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Not in Edinburgh
    Scott_P said:
    He really doesn't understand the concept of the slippery slope, does he?
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Jenkin on R4 just now: "leaving the EU means GB becoming a free country, with this deal we do not become a free country, therefore this deal is not leaving the EU"
    five seconds later :
    "I am in favour of leaving under WTO rules"

sorry, but if we have to follow WTO rules we are not a free country.

I guess under his definition the only "free country" in the world is North Korea
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

The swing should worry Labour all the more.

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Overall, a swing to pro Remain parties exceeding UKIP and assorted neo nazis.
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    He can barely understand the concept of breakfast, let alone Brexit...
    kamski said:

Jenkin on R4 just now: "leaving the EU means GB becoming a free country, with this deal we do not become a free country, therefore this deal is not leaving the EU"
    five seconds later :

I guess under his definition the only "free country" in the world is North Korea

Yes we are a free country under WTO rules.
    edited April 2019

kamski said:

five seconds later :

Yup, in exactly the same way as we are a free country in the EU, or in the single market, or in the customs union...
    nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

I agree with him. Long extension, hold EU elections, defenestrate May, sack Fox [and Grayling*], prepare properly for No Deal in 12 months time, renegotiate deal without a backstop if EU take us seriously, leave with No Deal in 12 months if they don't.

* Not Brexit related but JFDI.
    IanB2 said:

If the BBC is right his reply will be that we can have up to a year, with a flexible early redemption option if we get an agreement earlier.
    Yes, the EU27 are much better at this than us. No Deal would have to be a conscious decision.

12 months with Euro elections, and new party leaders, October GE.
    kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

Yup, in exactly the same way as we are a free country in the EU, or in the single market, or in the customs union...
    No we are not.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

How do you lose a quarter of your vote share in a seat you've held for 30 years when the government has been in power for nine years and looks like a refugee from a sketch by Monty Python?

Part of it may be Flynn's personal vote share unwinding. People who would have voted for him probably saw no reason to vote for Labour at this moment.

But it's still a poor result for Labour.

It's funny that Corbyn, who whatever his many faults is undoubtedly a superb campaigner and street pounder, simply can't get by-elections right. Copeland was of course the most disastrous but Stoke and now Newport are showing that Labour are simply no good at them.

It’s a cunning plan...
  • nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

I agree with him. Long extension, hold EU elections, defenestrate May, sack Fox [and Grayling*], prepare properly for No Deal in 12 months time, renegotiate deal without a backstop if EU take us seriously, leave with No Deal in 12 months if they don't.

The longer the delay the more likely we remain

nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

And the more likely we get a better deal.

It depends who replaces May. If we get a long extension May should acknowledge she's failed and go.
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Today's the last day.
    Not in Edinburgh
    Amazing that holidays etc are so fragmented in Scotland. Though I do like to take both English and local bank holidays, gets a few extra days.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

For god's sake don't trigger Philip.

kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

No we are not.
    Don't WTO rules mean the UK has to follow international rules and obligations?
    Breaking: BBC confirms PM will write to Brussels mid-morning to ask for extension
  • nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

It depends who replaces May. If we get a long extension May should acknowledge she's failed and go.
    You do realise that TM is the reason the party vote is holding up.

The danger in a longer delay is business has more time to plan moving to Europe
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

No we are not.
    Yes international rules and obligations.

In the EU and Customs Union are national rules and obligations are set internationally.
    edited April 2019

nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

Keep kicking that can, you would almost think that there has been a real plan for the last 3 years after all.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    A twelve month extension means we vote in the EURO elections. I'm not sure what will change in that time, except for more uncertainty for business and more politicking. Without a strict deadline, nothing will ever be decided - that's the way bureaucrats work. Why pander to them?

Is 37% a low turnout for a by-election?

Is UKIP back in operation? I suspect it needs a definitive 'No' to Brexit before it will make much progress. With this Schrodinger version, it's still all up in the air, although delay can only help Brexit-fatigue.

kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

No we are not.
    If we can’t achieve your preferred Brexit because of Northern Ireland, perhaps you’re looking at the wrong union.

nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

I couldn't care less if that was the case and I don't believe that anyway. Besides since she is going before next General Election anyway [thankfully] that is entirely moot, why cling on to a moribund failed leader?

Business has had 3 years to plan moving to Europe if it wanted to.

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

No we are not.

In the EU and Customs Union are national rules and obligations are set internationally.
    Can you rephrase this, I don't understand what you mean
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    He can barely understand the concept of breakfast, let alone Brexit...
    I was formerly in the constituency of his father and at university with his son. Neither of them are that bright, but it was always clear he was going for a career in Tory politics.
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: BBC confirms PM will write to Brussels mid-morning to ask for extension

Breaking .........LOL, state propaganda mouthpiece gives out government propaganda, soften them up with Tusk message and then say St Theresa is writing to ask for exactly what he offered, how convenient. The sheeple will all be happy and return to grazing.
  • nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

I couldn't care less if that was the case and I don't believe that anyway. Besides since she is going before next General Election anyway [thankfully] that is entirely moot, why cling on to a moribund failed leader?

Your laissez faire attitude to business is frankly shocking.

kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

No we are not.
    If we can’t achieve your preferred Brexit because of Northern Ireland, perhaps you’re looking at the wrong union.
    We can't achieve my preferred Brexit at the minute because Northern Ireland is being abused, not because it exists.

While I'd prefer we were rid of Northern Ireland I only want them to leave if that is their choice, which they've not made. If the Republic and the EU won't come up with an equitable free trade deal without a backstop then we should leave anyway and have a border within Ireland. Its entirely manageable as Varadkar has already made clear.

nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

Its what draws me to the Conservative Party.
    edited April 2019
    Once the extension is in place it isn't obvious why those MPs happy with a delay would vote to resolve the deal impasse in the options exercise on Monday.

Edit/ This surely makes a PV more likely, as a way to cement the extension?
  • nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

Words fail me
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

five seconds later :

No we are not.

Can you rephrase this, I don't understand what you mean
    WTO rules are international affecting everyone. For instance the concept of MFN.

EU/Customs Union rules are national affecting the nations it applies to.

Under the WTO we would be a free nation setting our own national laws within the established international order.
    In the EU/CU some of our national rules will be set by the EU. In the latter case without us even getting a say.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Overall, a swing to pro Remain parties exceeding UKIP and assorted neo nazis.
    The Lib Dems: losing deposits one by-election at a time.

nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Newport West/Wales/GB

National PositLaiion 1° Nat 0° 0°
    EU Leave % 53% 52% 52%
    Good Health 46% 47% 48%
    UK Born 92% 95% 88%
    Good Job 52% 46% 51%
    High SEC 50% 46% 51%
    ABC1 Class 52% 47% 53%

Words fail me
    Laissez-faire is the basis of classical liberalism which is what I believe in, what Thatcher fought for, the economics of Friedman. Laissez-faire works.
This discussion has been closed.