Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pete Buttigieg’s an interesting candidate but shouldn’t be a f

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

For those interested, the latest Spanish tracking poll data. The GE takes place on 28th April.
    https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1117003275033825281?s=21

Do you know how that would translate in terms of seats?

It’s very complicated. Here’s a seat projection based on one poll that is quite similar to the tracker (though with PSOE slightly lower and PP slightly higher). 176 seats is an overall majority of one.

https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1116578306248175618?s=21
    Old Castile and Galicia: right-wing in 1936, right-wing now!

Curious to see a city as large as Madrid still voting right. Looks more like the pattern in Brazil than the rest of Europe.

That’s the province of Madrid, not the city. The city is currently run by a Podemos-led coalition. The province is very conservative and very much part of Old Castile.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    It's an odd that someone can be simultaneously seen as a dutiful, hard working person doing her best (& better than all the alternatives), and also a demonstrable and repeated liar.
  • Options
    Could have told him that 10 months ago. It's not been without risks, but Corbyn's strategy could well pay off handily.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577

This year’s rugby world cup is going to be won by the side with the fewest homophobic players isn’t it?

Billy Vunipola is facing potential disciplinary action from the Rugby Football Union and Saracens after supporting Israel Folau’s controversial anti-gay comments by claiming “man was made for woman”.

The RFU will summon Vunipola to question him over a social media post made in which he defends Folau, who is facing the sack by Rugby Australia for his claims that “hell awaits” gay people. Saracens have stated they will deal with the “very serious matter” internally.

Compounding the RFU’s headache, the No 8’s post was liked by fellow England internationals Manu Tuilagi, Nathan Hughes, Nick Isiekwe and Courtney Lawes, who replied with his own message defending Vunipola’s decision to offer his opinion. It remains to be seen whether they and other Premiership players, including his childhood friend and Wales No 8 Taulupe Faletau, who also “liked” the post, will face further action.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/12/rfu-will-speak-to-billy-vunipola-social-media-israel-folau-england-saracens

I am not sure I would want to get on the wrong side of the Tuilagi family....

In addition to Manu, there is his brothers, Alesana Tuilagi, Henry Tuilagi, Freddie Tuilagi, Sanele Vavae Tuilagi.
    I wonder what are the statistical chances of at least one of them being gay?
    In my experience the biggest homophobes turn out to be gay.
    Science too:

Put simply; it looks likely that a closeted gay man is more likely to be anti-gay. Surprising very few people.

According to the 2012 study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, there are higher levels of homophobia in those who have unacknowledged feelings of attraction towards the same sex.

These levels were exacerbated when the parents of the individuals also held homophobic attitudes.

https://www.indy100.com/article/homophobia-gay-homosexual-closet-science-self-loathing-study-data-50-years-decriminalisation-7788016
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    They've got a point on some of it, but they make themselves look a fool by referencing all the times she said we would leave on 29 March, since there's no question she worked damn hard to see that happen and is not a sign of any duplicity, which is the implication with the other matters.
  • Options

I believe it.

Remain voters should have nothing to do with Labour in the European elections.
    Should not maybe, but will. Is there any reason to suppose they won't turn out for Labour now when they did in the GE?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited April 2019

It's an odd that someone can be simultaneously seen as a dutiful, hard working person doing her best (& better than all the alternatives), and also a demonstrable and repeated liar.
    Well it's like El Gord. Nobody could deny that El Gord wasn't hard working.

He was up at 5am, didn't go to bed until after midnight and if he could have run every single governmental department himself he would have done.

Being hard working and dutiful didn't mean he wasn't a complete waste of space and mad as mas as a box of frogs though... :D
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

The backstop is not Northern-Ireland only, and perhaps I'm reaching here, but I'd be willing to bet that the MP in question voted to stop us leaving the EU on 29th March.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

They've got a point on some of it, but they make themselves look a fool by referending all the times she said we would leave on 29 March, since there's no question she worked damn hard to see that happen and is not a sign of any duplicity, which is the implication with the other matters.
    I tend to agree. She seems incompetent rather than conniving.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I believe it.

Should not maybe, but will. Is there any reason to suppose they won't turn out for Labour now when they did in the GE?
    If Yougov is to be believed, yes. 31% of Labour voters from 2017 are supporting pro-Remain parties (and even 15% are supporting pro-Brexit parties).
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

For those interested, the latest Spanish tracking poll data. The GE takes place on 28th April.
    https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1117003275033825281?s=21

Do you know how that would translate in terms of seats?

It’s very complicated. Here’s a seat projection based on one poll that is quite similar to the tracker (though with PSOE slightly lower and PP slightly higher). 176 seats is an overall majority of one.

https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1116578306248175618?s=21
    Old Castile and Galicia: right-wing in 1936, right-wing now!

Curious to see a city as large as Madrid still voting right. Looks more like the pattern in Brazil than the rest of Europe.

That’s the province of Madrid, not the city. The city is currently run by a Podemos-led coalition. The province is very conservative and very much part of Old Castile.

I didn’t realise there were so many people in Chinchón :tongue:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I believe it.

If Yougov is to be believed, yes. 31% of Labour voters from 2017 are supporting pro-Remain parties (and even 15% are supporting pro-Brexit parties).
    But enough to stop them coming top?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    FIgures he would like Cersei Lannister the most, a character not as smart as they think they are, and whose actions have been heavily self defeating for the things they supposedly cared about.
    His admiration for the Lannisters is in character though. The Lannisters' PR is all about settling their debts when it is pretty obvious that they are failing to do that. The gap between Osborne's PR and the reality of 2010 to 2015 was similar.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

I believe it.

I suspect that, back then, many people voted Corbyn/ Labour thinking (because of the polls and how the media was calling it) that it would more likely to tell the Tories that they were unhappy about being asked to vote again for party political reasons, than to show any great preference for or approval of Corbyn/ Labour. I don't think that applies now but then what does?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I believe it.

But enough to stop them coming top?
    Quite possibly, depending on how the vote splits for the others. Labour are not popular right now.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647

She is dutiful, hard working but a terrible communicator and sales person, having to negotiate publicly whilst holding a very weak hand. How the ERG thought she could deliver what she was promising without their support is very hard to understand.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

The backstop is not Northern-Ireland only, and perhaps I'm reaching here, but I'd be willing to bet that the MP in question voted to stop us leaving the EU on 29th March.
    Indeed.

The article gives another example of the ERG's inability to think things through:

' Prior to the European Council summit, Brexiteers were surprisingly upbeat about the prospect of a long extension to either December, or March next year.

A plan had been drawn up by senior Eurosceptics – with the knowledge and tacit support of cabinet ministers – to immediately declare May’s position untenable if she agreed a nine or 12-month Brexit delay.

It would have represented the ultimate failure of her Brexit strategy, forced her resignation, brought about a Tory leadership contest and the likely election of a new Brexiteer PM, and allowed time for a general election fought on a manifesto of getting a better deal with Brussels while properly preparing for no-deal. Or so the theory went.

The October extension put paid to that. “It is the worst of both worlds,” another Tory MP told BuzzFeed News. “Macron’s short extension would have created a cliff-edge where we could have realistically left with no deal. A long extension would have meant a change of leader and a change of strategy. Instead we are stuck in the middle with her.”
    '

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/tory-mps-are-freaking-out-in-the-tea-rooms-about-what-the
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    George Osborne IS Littlefinger.....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JackW said:

Roger said:

Interesting that in America a gay man could become president whereas the Brunai Royal Family has just decreed that homosexuality should be punishable by stoning.

Almost the entire Brunai royal family went to Millfield. One shared a room with me. Happily I can confirm absolute probity during the entirity of that year otherwise I would have no hesitation in reporting him for a retrospective stoning.

Roger being educated at Millfield I'm somewhat surprised that he wasn't stoned at some time or other .... :sunglasses:
    Me too! Maybe that's what the Sultan had in mind but his locally educated underlings misunderstood?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Indeed.

The article gives another example of the ERG's inability to think things through:

' Prior to the European Council summit, Brexiteers were surprisingly upbeat about the prospect of a long extension to either December, or March next year.

A plan had been drawn up by senior Eurosceptics – with the knowledge and tacit support of cabinet ministers – to immediately declare May’s position untenable if she agreed a nine or 12-month Brexit delay.

It would have represented the ultimate failure of her Brexit strategy, forced her resignation, brought about a Tory leadership contest and the likely election of a new Brexiteer PM, and allowed time for a general election fought on a manifesto of getting a better deal with Brussels while properly preparing for no-deal. Or so the theory went.

The October extension put paid to that. “It is the worst of both worlds,” another Tory MP told BuzzFeed News. “Macron’s short extension would have created a cliff-edge where we could have realistically left with no deal. A long extension would have meant a change of leader and a change of strategy. Instead we are stuck in the middle with her.”
    '

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/tory-mps-are-freaking-out-in-the-tea-rooms-about-what-the
    The cynic in me thinks that October was not a compromise between Merkel and Macron, but the EU first choice, leaving the UK most likely to choose ongoing delays well into 2020 and beyond. It weakens the UK a bit economically without hitting the EU in the same way no-deal does, shows other countries how difficult leaving is, and allows Macron to play the tough guy for his domestic audience.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

If Remain can persuade the 6 million petition signers that they can serve a purpose by voting for one of the progressive parties they could do very well indeed. I shouldn't imagine more than 10 million will vote in total

I suppose that depends a lot on how many of those 6 million are eligible to vote.
    Are you suggesting jiggery-pokery by some of the petition signers?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sean_F said:

Indeed.

'

Bizarrely, I thought it through while we were all waiting for the result of the EU meeting and came to the conclusion that the optimum delay to prevent Brexit was end of September for exactly the reasons above. As nobody was talking about it I assumed it wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    FIgures he would like Cersei Lannister the most, a character not as smart as they think they are, and whose actions have been heavily self defeating for the things they supposedly cared about.
    His admiration for the Lannisters is in character though. The Lannisters' PR is all about settling their debts when it is pretty obvious that they are failing to do that. The gap between Osborne's PR and the reality of 2010 to 2015 was similar.
    Cersei in the books, is less competent (and less ruthless) than her TV counterpart. The latter takes her opponents by surprise by her willingness to go much further than they ever expected (everyone knew she was a murderer, but no one apart from Margaery thought she'd go as far as murdering thousands of innocent people in order to make a clean sweep of her enemies). She's like Stalin in that regard.

MM is right to compare GO to Littlefinger. Intelligent, slimy, ruthless, but not quite intelligent enough.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631

This year’s rugby world cup is going to be won by the side with the fewest homophobic players isn’t it?

Billy Vunipola is facing potential disciplinary action from the Rugby Football Union and Saracens after supporting Israel Folau’s controversial anti-gay comments by claiming “man was made for woman”.

The RFU will summon Vunipola to question him over a social media post made in which he defends Folau, who is facing the sack by Rugby Australia for his claims that “hell awaits” gay people. Saracens have stated they will deal with the “very serious matter” internally.

Compounding the RFU’s headache, the No 8’s post was liked by fellow England internationals Manu Tuilagi, Nathan Hughes, Nick Isiekwe and Courtney Lawes, who replied with his own message defending Vunipola’s decision to offer his opinion. It remains to be seen whether they and other Premiership players, including his childhood friend and Wales No 8 Taulupe Faletau, who also “liked” the post, will face further action.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/12/rfu-will-speak-to-billy-vunipola-social-media-israel-folau-england-saracens

In addition to Manu, there is his brothers, Alesana Tuilagi, Henry Tuilagi, Freddie Tuilagi, Sanele Vavae Tuilagi.
    Science too:

Put simply; it looks likely that a closeted gay man is more likely to be anti-gay. Surprising very few people.

According to the 2012 study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, there are higher levels of homophobia in those who have unacknowledged feelings of attraction towards the same sex.

These levels were exacerbated when the parents of the individuals also held homophobic attitudes.

https://www.indy100.com/article/homophobia-gay-homosexual-closet-science-self-loathing-study-data-50-years-decriminalisation-7788016
    "Unacknowleged same-sex attraction increasing the probability of homophobia" is not the same as saying "homophobia implies unacknowleged same-sex attraction". "

Even if we know that A increases B, then we cannot necessarily conclude that the presence of B implies a presence of A. Other things may increase B and they may be present instead.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    viewcode said:

Science too:

"Unacknowleged same-sex attraction increasing the probability of homophobia" is not the same as saying "homophobia implies unacknowleged same-sex attraction". "

Even if we know that A increases B, then we cannot necessarily conclude that the presence of B implies a presence of A. Other things may increase B and they may be present instead.
    Overcompensating?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    edited April 2019

Premium economy: is it worth the extra expense?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/apr/13/premium-economy-is-it-worth-the-extra-expense

What is this premium economy they speak of?

If you are booking at the last minute and there’s £50 difference between premium and normal economy, then yes. If you’re booking months ahead and there’s £500 difference, then no.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    If JC thinks hes gonna hit a 50 in the tail then call his bluff and send the old crook in as night watchman.
    Let him form an administration for 3 months whilst they elect a new leader then VONC him and come back in fresh as saviours of Brexit and the nation. Sexy. It's what farudge would do.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    George Osborne IS Littlefinger.....
    George Osborne WANTS to be Littlefinger.

In reality he's far less able, intelligent, forward thinking and ruthless.

In compensation he might be a nicer human being.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Sandpit said:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/apr/13/premium-economy-is-it-worth-the-extra-expense

If you are booking at the last minute and there’s £50 difference between premium and normal economy, then yes. If you’re booking months ahead and there’s £500 difference, then no.
    But you still have to sit the plebs...that is unacceptable.
  • Options
    The electorate dont like stitch ups generally except when its Martin bell
  • Options
    It's too late to that. If each of Greens, Lib Dem, and Change UK can take a couple of per cent off Labour however, they should all get representatives in a lot of regions.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's too late to that. If each of Greens, Lib Dem, and Change UK can take a couple of per cent off Labour however, they should all get representatives in a lot of regions.
    If they can get 4 or 5 seats each it would set down a marker. The likes of change and the libs need to think long term now, there is a post conlab world to grab at
  • Options
    ' A judge gave a serial drink-driver a chance to avoid jail because she is a woman.

Victoria Parry, 30, hit three other cars after downing a bottle of wine.

Judge Sarah Buckingham said Parry, an alcoholic who had escaped an abusive relationship, would have gone "straight down the stairs" to jail if she were a man.

Although Parry "deserved" a prison term, the judge gave her three months to address her issues.
    '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-47914832
  • Options
    The beeb are obsessed with him. Its ratings innit, rage against the Farage ratings
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Because Farage generates ratings, that's why.

He's like Emmanuel Goldstein for the pro-EU left.
  • Options
    So would she prefer to see Batten all over the news for the next month instead given UKIP won the most seats last time?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    15% is impressive for the Brexit Party before they have even properly launched. They could well come top if they can get enough attention.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Artist said:

15% is impressive for the Brexit Party before they have even properly launched. They could well come top if they can get enough attention.

Farage = attention-seeker!
  • Options
    Quite possible we will see Tories polling higher in Scotland than the UK as a whole in polls over the summer
  • Options

So would she prefer to see Batten all over the news for the next month instead given UKIP won the most seats last time?
    She probably would as Farage would be much more effective with the air time. I don't think ratings should be the driver for BBC but it is barmy to suggest Farage starting a brexit party polling in or around double figures is not newsworthy.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If I’m paying for it myself I’ll happily sit with the plebs on a long haul flight.

Actually, the most annoying thing about premium economy is that its very existence makes getting a free upgrade from economy to business pretty much impossible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Artist said:

Perhaps Change UK should just have called themselves the Remain party. Then the comparison would be more meaningful.
  • Options

Artist said:

Perhaps Change UK should just have called themselves the Remain party. Then the comparison would be more meaningful.
    That would have been a good idea, as it's their major selling point.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Artist said:

They are looking long term. Remain will be a completely irrelevant name by the end of the year one way or another
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/MollyMEP/status/1116586386054717440

Bloody good question.

There’s an almighty row about to come between political parties, the media companies and the Electoral Commission, regarding media time over the next six weeks.

The current system just doesn’t work when there’s multiple new parties, featuring existing politicians and polling well. Strictly speaking, under the current rules the Brexit Party and the CUKs should be almost ignored by the media, while UKIP should be getting a lot of airtime.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

If I’m paying for it myself I’ll happily sit with the plebs on a long haul flight.

Actually, the most annoying thing about premium economy is that its very existence makes getting a free upgrade from economy to business pretty much impossible.
    First Class = Snob Class
    Business = Spiv Class
    Economy = Steerage

:)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Artist said:

They have been pretty disappointing so far. Surely they should have come to a temporary partnership for the European elections with at least the libdems, probably brought in the greens in too. In the indicative votes they proved themselves as stubborn as the ERG (well almost). A policy or two would be good by now as well.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Chemain UK?
    Remange UK?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

They are looking long term. Remain will be a completely irrelevant name by the end of the year one way or another
    Yes, but they don't stand for anything else.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Osborne is a poor man's Littlefinger.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

'Remain' has more logical long-term political meaning than 'Brexit'.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Yet. If you're intending to be around for a few years you don't call yourself the summer of 19 party
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

And they could easily change the name in the future, whereas if they dont get traction in the next couple of months it wont matter what they are called.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Not if we Brexit. It would then mean remain outside the EU
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Quite possible we will see Tories polling higher in Scotland than the UK as a whole in polls over the summer

UK must be going to be very low then going by recent Scottish polls/results. 10.7% is rather low https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17569879.snp-win-by-election-as-remain-parties-advance/?ref=mr&lp=2
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

The Anti Democratic League suits them best

Tried to overturn Corbyn's win
    Trying to overturn Brexit
    Refuse to stand in by Elections
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

UK must be going to be very low then going by recent Scottish polls/results. 10.7% is rather low https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17569879.snp-win-by-election-as-remain-parties-advance/?ref=mr&lp=2
    Lol I meant national opinion polls.
  • Options
    That swing to the government in Newport feels a long time ago
  • Options

She probably would as Farage would be much more effective with the air time. I don't think ratings should be the driver for BBC but it is barmy to suggest Farage starting a brexit party polling in or around double figures is not newsworthy.
    Single handedly won the last round of these elections should count for something!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Not if we Brexit. It would then mean remain outside the EU
    It would just need slightly different emphasis:

Remain connected
    Remain pluralistic
    Remain relevant

Whether those things end up being expressed by adopting a policy of rejoining the EU is a different matter.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I saw a tweet of theirs asking for MEP candidates that share their values, and I can’t be the only one wondering what they are?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I saw a tweet of theirs asking for MEP candidates that share their values, and I can’t be the only one wondering what they are?
    They want to "change" the result of every election they lose rather than accept the vote and get on with it
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

A vanity project in search of a purpose.
  • Options

Agreed but you would never get her to admit that given it would render her an enabler of islamophobia by her own reasoning.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Preferring representative democracy to direct democracy is by no means anti democratic, indeed it is the form of democracy the UK had been using for a very long time.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Preferring representative democracy to direct democracy is by no means anti democratic, indeed it is the form of democracy the UK had been using for a very long time.
    Stand in by elections then

Umunna said he would respect the result of the referendum and not campaign for a second one though

"Chuka Umunna today urged Remain campaigners to abandon calls for a second referendum or risk being seen as a metropolitan elite “who think they know best”."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/chuka-umunna-remain-campaigners-must-drop-calls-for-new-brexit-vote-a3410601.html
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    viewcode said:

I would say, based on almost no research whatsoever, that for the vast majority of homophobes suppressed gay sexuality is NOT a factor. Their homophobia is more likely to sit comfortably in a suite of reactionary social attitudes, to come as part of that package.

However, when it comes to VIOLENT homophobes, there I am betting that most of them are indeed struggling with unwanted homosexual feelings themselves. This is borne out in TV dramas. When there is a serial killer terrorizing the gay community, as often as not the culprit turns out to be in the closet. There was one on quite recently.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

The bubble has burst for Roothie and her ragtag bunch of absolute losers who vote against Scotland's interests at all times. She has her parachute in place making sure she is top of all the losers lists, so she keeps her own job after she gets dumped in the real votes seats.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Umunna said he would respect the result of the referendum and not campaign for a second one though

"Chuka Umunna today urged Remain campaigners to abandon calls for a second referendum or risk being seen as a metropolitan elite “who think they know best”."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/chuka-umunna-remain-campaigners-must-drop-calls-for-new-brexit-vote-a3410601.html
    He said it with his fingers crossed, behind his back.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I dont remember the exact numbers but it is something like only 4 of the last 60 MPs to change parties have called a by-election. So the tradition in our system is they don't need to.

Personally I prefer electing a person with individual thoughts than someone who can only follow party orders. I think parliament would work far better if we let individual MPs have a bit more freedom to express themselves, without accusing them of being liars, traitors, not pure enough, disloyal etc.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The bubble has burst for Roothie and her ragtag bunch of absolute losers who vote against Scotland's interests at all times. She has her parachute in place making sure she is top of all the losers lists, so she keeps her own job after she gets dumped in the real votes seats.
    I doubt if Leith is the Conservatives' best area in Scotland/
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I dont remember the exact numbers but it is something like only 4 of the last 60 MPs to change parties have called a by-election. So the tradition in our system is they don't need to.

Personally I prefer electing a person with individual thoughts than someone who can only follow party orders. I think parliament would work far better if we let individual MPs have a bit more freedom to express themselves, without accusing them of being liars, traitors, not pure enough, disloyal etc.

Chuka Umunna today urged Remain campaigners to abandon calls for a second referendum or risk being seen as a metropolitan elite “who think they know best”.

"I really have no time for calls for a second referendum because I think it comes across as disrespectful to those who voted to leave,” he said.

“Those calls reinforce what I feel is a false stereotype — of a bunch of people in London who think they know best.”"

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Hardly a swing to the government. Swing away from the big 2 more like.
    Swings as a concept only works in a 2 party context.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Lies, damned lies. Excluding MPs being kicked out of their party (and let back in), two of the last three defections before the Tiggers called by-elections.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,533
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Chuka Umunna today urged Remain campaigners to abandon calls for a second referendum or risk being seen as a metropolitan elite “who think they know best”.

"I really have no time for calls for a second referendum because I think it comes across as disrespectful to those who voted to leave,” he said.

“Those calls reinforce what I feel is a false stereotype — of a bunch of people in London who think they know best.”"

Article dated Dec 2016. I think he has revised his opinion in the last 2 and a half years, as indeed have I!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

They pulled in the 20s in leith under Thatcher, in the teens under the post Blair leaders but jumped to 27 in 2017. Slipping back a bit based on the by election but they haven't held the seat since the war anyway
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Its relevant as long as LabCon are the only two serious contenders in most seats. A Newport result nationwide equals Tory majority (just) if the libs don't break through their low base.
    That now seems preposterous.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I’m sure they will be devastated not to have the support of diehard Leave acolytes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Article dated Dec 2016. I think he has revised his opinion in the last 2 and a half years, as indeed have I!
    Well I didn't think it was from today did I!?!!

But he was right about what people would think of those who call for a second referendum

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

Well I think he is clearly metropolitan, and probably does think he knows best, not sure about elite though. When I grew up elite used to mean things like sons or daughters of Earls and Barons, going to Eton, Oxbridge, perhaps the children of the editor of the Times, or people who place £1000 bets in Mayfair. Now it seems to mean anyone who lives in London with a degree.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    edited April 2019

dixiedean said:

Its relevant as long as LabCon are the only two serious contenders in most seats. A Newport result nationwide equals Tory majority (just) if the libs don't break through their low base.
    Fair enough.
    Tory majority seems a distance away just now. Only slightly further than a Labour one though.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Fair enough.
    Tory majority seems a distance away just now. Only slightly further than a Labour one though.
    Can't see a majority happening for some time either way tbh, not whilst the SNP are riding high.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

s
    e.

Well I think he is clearly metropolitan, and probably does think he knows best, not sure about elite though. When I grew up elite used to mean things like sons or daughters of Earls and Barons, going to Eton, Oxbridge, perhaps the children of the editor of the Times, or people who place £1000 bets in Mayfair. Now it seems to mean anyone who lives in London with a degree.
    Would calling Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo "elite footballers" make you argue that Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage were the real elite?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Given she is Edinburgh Central it would not involve Leith , but you are correct it is not a Tory hotbed ( it was their little Better Together helpers Labour territory ) but then again neither is the whole of Scotland.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Perhaps we are not yet into the official campaign period when those rules kick in.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I’m sure they will be devastated not to have the support of diehard Leave acolytes.
    I see you can't actually point out where my statement is wrong.

And as for support they don't seem to be getting much of it from anywhere.

It seems a long time since PB was breathlessly speculating on how many more defections there would be to the splitters.
  • Options
    "Would calling Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo "elite footballers" make you argue that Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage were the real elite?"

No it wouldn't. I do think it is worth calling out the hypocrisy of the likes of Rees-Mogg and Farage calling for people to rise up against the "metropolitan elite" as it is deliberately divisive and so far fetched from the reality that they are the elite themselves.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

It seems a long time since PB was breathlessly speculating on how many more defections there would be to the splitters.
    I think that some Labour MP's were on the point of jumping ship, before Corbyn moved further towards backing a second referendum.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Perhaps we are not yet into the official campaign period when those rules kick in.
    Seems reasonable, and it was a big story to cover. I find the hyperventilating about the Brexit Party launch to be a bit petty and I've yet to see a compelling justification for the outrage other than not wanting to see Farage. Which is a noble goal, but that seems to be what it is about more than anything else, which is just sad.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

They'll never get anywhere if they don't reach out to those on the other side!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Seems reasonable, and it was a big story to cover. I find the hyperventilating about the Brexit Party launch to be a bit petty and I've yet to see a compelling justification for the outrage other than not wanting to see Farage. Which is a noble goal, but that seems to be what it is about more than anything else, which is just sad.
    News organisations know they'll get a response from Disgusted of Brighton Pavilion when they put Farage on the screen, so what do you do if you're your running a news organisation?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I think the council ward is partially in Edinburgh Central.
    Didn't someone on here suggest the SCons would come second in the council by election?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Today's AQ audience very keen to remain.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    Perhaps because a track record as a party is irrelevant when they have a decent chance of securing the most seats in the Euro elections, as evidenced by their 11/10 odds with Ladbrokes, way ahead of the 9/1 odds of the Conservatives. And Farage does have a track record of winning Euro elections with a party that came from nowhere.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

I think that some Labour MP's were on the point of jumping ship, before Corbyn moved further towards backing a second referendum.
    That's possible.

But Corbyn appears more secure now than he did a few months ago and meanwhile the splitters have failed to explain what they are for, let alone how they could bring it about.

Ultimately they are fishing for votes in the same pond as Labour, LibDems and Greens and that's not easy in FPTP.
This discussion has been closed.