Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories should take some consolation from Newport West – th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories should take some consolation from Newport West – the disaster that did not happen

The narrative at the moment is all about how appallingly the Tories will do in the Euro elections on May 23rd. Almost no threads appear on PB these without some new prediction of the impending disaster. But are we overstating this? I think that we might be

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Interesting.
  • Options
    FPT

@AlastairMeeks - This isn’t you is it ?

AA Gill Memorial Prize - Pinsent Masons solicitor

"London lunches are good, in Glasgow I'd rather eat shavings from a ped egg."

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/firm-year-2019-best-comment-awards
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Cyclefree said:

I noted the other day that this story could build and become very serious for someone in government:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1121660207619162118

What bothers me more is the decision to invite the Chinese into our telecoms infrastructure.
    Seconded....while the leak is incredibly serious, it is overshadowing the fact the government are willing to go with them, despite serious warnings from the likes of the US.
    Whilst I share your concerns, the US are not exactly disinterested parties in this, in several ways.
    Is the problem that Huawei lets the Chinese spy on us, or that it doesn't let the Americans spy on us? I always work on the assumption that someone could read all my electronic communications if they wanted to, and it doesn't bother me personally as I am not doing anything anyone would be interested in. (typed on a Huawei phone).
    Loving the fact that you posted that under a pseudonym.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    UKIP was always a colossal lay in the Newport West market. The Brexit party is not in the euros. THe FPTP distribution of the Brexit parties votes in particular will shit both parties up.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited April 2019
    Wasn't Hamilton being the UKIP candidate a factor? He's marmite without the love component.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

FPT

I had not realised that Gordon Pollock QC had died. He was one hell of a barrister. I worked with him years ago on a couple of cases. A ferocious intellect and utterly fearless.
  • Options
    He’s only saying that because he’s got a Tory leadership contest to win.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Trouble at t’ mill for the TIG/CUK/RA/whatever

Founder of their activist network quits;

https://www.twitter.com/thetimes/status/1121702969391689728
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    edited April 2019
    F1 farce in Baku, as first session abandoned after a manhole cover lifted on the track, causing damage to two cars.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

FPT

As if I'd eat in the staff canteen.

(I suspect that comment was from a Glasgow solicitor.)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

F1 farce in Baku, as first session abandoned after a manhole cover lifted on the track, causing damage to two cars.

Corbyn’s a fan of manhole covers.

Was he involved ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Yes, and then after winning the leadership contest, he'll have Tory MPs/activists to keep happy...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The people prepared to quit the established parties for a new party have self-selected to be a group of people with little tolerance or patience for reality falling short of perfection.

Some level of discord would seem to be inevitable.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

He is having a free to air personal meltdown.

https://twitter.com/DanHeley1?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Also fair to point out that the evidence, looking at TIG's progress, suggests he wasn't terribly good at founding activist networks.
  • Options
    Good to see at least one of the Cabinet realise that we are going to end up with that binary choice.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Sandpit, weird. Although something similar happened somewhere else. Maybe Monaco?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Sandpit said:

Corbyn’s a fan of manhole covers.

Was he involved ?
    Na, Friday is jam day.
  • Options

On the plus-side, they've got UKIP's endorsement:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1121699725458194432
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

There was a time, not so many years ago, when politicians understood that the national interest was more important than, and could conflict with, their own personal career interests.

There are still a few such in the Tory Party, but none are in the Cabinet.

• Options

FPT

With foreboding I had to look up what a ped egg is.

Deep fried they'd be fine.
  • Options
    On topic, it will be a good test of the extent of bovine loyalty to the Conservative party. It's hard to identify a single reason to vote for the Conservatives in the EU elections no matter what your political perspective. So we shall get to see the pure and inalienable Conservative vote.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    The only reason to vote Tory since 1997 has been to try and keep Labour out. Given the total muppets in the current parliamentary party and in Gov in particular, that reason no longer seems so compelling notwithstanding the absolutely disgusting nature of Corbyn’s Labour.
  • Options
    If we assume the Brexit Party are overstated then does that make it a close three-way battle for the win between Labour, Conservative and Farage?

My Lib Dem step-mother is spitting nails at the thought that Remain voters will vote Labour (that set includes my Dad).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

I noted the other day that this story could build and become very serious for someone in government:

What bothers me more is the decision to invite the Chinese into our telecoms infrastructure.
    Seconded....while the leak is incredibly serious, it is overshadowing the fact the government are willing to go with them, despite serious warnings from the likes of the US.
    Whilst I share your concerns, the US are not exactly disinterested parties in this, in several ways.
    Is the problem that Huawei lets the Chinese spy on us, or that it doesn't let the Americans spy on us? I always work on the assumption that someone could read all my electronic communications if they wanted to, and it doesn't bother me personally as I am not doing anything anyone would be interested in. (typed on a Huawei phone).
    Whilst Ishmael_Z is very happy for his friends, family and employers to know his inner political thoughts....
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, weird. Although something similar happened somewhere else. Maybe Monaco?

It’s happened in Monaco before, and also in Malaysia, where a drain lifted on a permanent track. It’s because the cars have so much downforce generated under the car, they literally suck up anything not properly welded down.

By the way, my first tip for this weekend is Leclerc for his maiden win, currently 4.5 on Betfair. He loves the place and won several times here in F2.
  • Options

On topic, it will be a good test of the extent of bovine loyalty to the Conservative party. It's hard to identify a single reason to vote for the Conservatives in the EU elections no matter what your political perspective. So we shall get to see the pure and inalienable Conservative vote.

If you are in favour of a negotiated Brexit who else would you vote for?

Surely the Conservative vote is a proxy for support for May's Deal?
  • Options

That’s why I’m voting Tory in the Euros.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

For the EU elections, probably around 15%?

I don’t think any candidate except Dan Hannan (#1 in an 11-seat region) thinks they are safe.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Whilst Ishmael_Z is very happy for his friends, family and employers to know his inner political thoughts....
    Do the funky bunch know yours ?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Labours leaflet silliness has the potential to badly affect their euro vote. I'm increasingly of the opinion both the big two will be in the teens. Brexit to win imo on ca 25%, change, ld and green to be in the 7 to 11 range
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

They would seem to be the obvious party to vote for if you favour the Deal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Labours leaflet silliness has the potential to badly affect their euro vote. I'm increasingly of the opinion both the big two will be in the teens. Brexit to win imo on ca 25%, change, ld and green to be in the 7 to 11 range

I think 25 is a bit on the low end.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, yes, but I'm not the one claiming that "I always work on the assumption that someone could read all my electronic communications if they wanted to, and it doesn't bother me personally as I am not doing anything anyone would be interested in", am I?

I'd also expect you of all people to be aware that _Z is a very old Devon surname.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Sandpit, odds a little short, and accidents happen easily. What are his pole odds?

If I were backing a top dog to do well I'd probably be keener on qualifying bets.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Possibly but I think with 7 parties all hoping to secure at least 1 mep theres limited numbers to play with. If brexit are much north of 25 I think its going to be existentially horrific for the Tories
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Chucka's just not up to it... Time for Heidi to unleash her inner Tory, push him under the proverbial bus and take back control for herself. :D
  • Options

What I can't understand is why Lord Adonis agreed to that ridiculous statement. He should have stood his ground - they knew his views when he was selected as an MEP candidate. He would have done far better to stick to his principles even if he was deselected.
  • Options
    No Leaver is going to trust Hunt. He’s always blown with the wind and what he did to the junior doctors shows he’s totally self serving and untrustworthy.
  • Options

No Leaver is going to trust Hunt. He’s always blown with the wind and what he did to the junior doctors shows he’s totally self serving and untrustworthy.
    He showed he was a true Thatcherite as he put a trade union in its place.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Sandpit said:

It’s happened in Monaco before, and also in Malaysia, where a drain lifted on a permanent track. It’s because the cars have so much downforce generated under the car, they literally suck up anything not properly welded down.

By the way, my first tip for this weekend is Leclerc for his maiden win, currently 4.5 on Betfair. He loves the place and won several times here in F2.
    Williams have a history with Baku drain covers:
    https://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-baku-williams-valtteri-bottas-drain-cover-061816

Idiotic that they’re still not properly welded down after the numerous incidents over the last few years.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Hunt was astute. Having won his pyrrhic victory over the juniors, he quietly abandoned plans to bugger us seniors about. Rota gaps abound.
  • Options

The people prepared to quit the established parties for a new party have self-selected to be a group of people with little tolerance or patience for reality falling short of perfection.

Some level of discord would seem to be inevitable.
    Certainly but I have had extensive dealings with the office of one of the leading TIGs and I have to say they were the most arrogant, insensitive and high-handed bunch I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. Quite unable to understand that not everyone believed that the sun shone out of their boss's nether regions and impervious to any criticism or suggestion from those outside the charmed circle (most of whom had no experience of politics outside the Palace of Westminster). Those people probably wrote the paper dissing the Lib Dems, they will never be able to form a broad-based political party.
  • Options

Certainly more rational than voting for Farage’s Brexit ‘to give the government a nudge’.

But nothing around Brexit is rational any more.
  • Options

What I can't understand is why Lord Adonis agreed to that ridiculous statement. He should have stood his ground - they knew his views when he was selected as an MEP candidate. He would have done far better to stick to his principles even if he was deselected.
    Its indicative of the deep division in labour between the old left/current leadership leavers and the centre left remain majority. It's as ridiculous a coalition as the Tories. Both deserve an utter drubbing
  • Options
    edited April 2019

There is nothing Thatcherite about Hunt - at all. Nothing Thatcherite about this Tory Party sadly. Try running a health service without doctors. Thatcher was smart enough not to try.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Inclined to agree.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-baku-williams-valtteri-bottas-drain-cover-061816

Idiotic that they’re still not properly welded down after the numerous incidents over the last few years.
    Sky just showed a replay of that one. Not a good look for the circuit. Apparently there’s 350 of them, that now all need to be double checked. We are only an hour away from the F2 qualifying session, which could delay (or worse) the F1 P2 session.

George Russell won’t be going out in P2 whatever happens though, he probably needs a new chassis.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    After hearing reports on the NSC leak, I am struggling to to see who benefits. The report I heard said For (Hunt) Home (Javid) and Def (Williamson) secretaries all spoke out against Huawei involvement but May was the voice of reason and allowed non essential items such as aerials to be supplied by them.

If this is supposedly related to leadership positioning who is that supposed to benefit?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

His time as Foreign Secretary has really shown his limitations.
  • Options

After hearing reports on the NSC leak, I am struggling to to see who benefits. The report I heard said For (Hunt) Home (Javid) and Def (Williamson) secretaries all spoke out against Huawei involvement but May was the voice of reason and allowed non essential items such as aerials to be supplied by them.

If this is supposedly related to leadership positioning who is that supposed to benefit?

Irregular verbs time.

That's another of those irregular verbs, isn't it?

I give confidential press briefings; you leak; he's being charged under section 2A of the Official Secrets Act.

From the peerless Yes, Minister.
  • Options

Agreed. Can see why the statement was made (to remind people that Labour, unlike the Tories, can still impose message discipline on candidates) but the tone was too servile and obviously forced.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's going to be close between Con and Lab in terms of the popular vote IMO, at both the Euros and the local elections.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Certainly more rational than voting for Farage’s Brexit ‘to give the government a nudge’.

But nothing around Brexit is rational any more.
    I know.

We’re dealing with people who assured me that only a Leave vote would unite the country and Tory party.

Oh and end the Tory fracture on Europe.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

Irregular verbs time.

I give confidential press briefings; you leak; he's being charged under section 2A of the Official Secrets Act.

Yes, Prime Minister - Man Overboard. I believe
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sky just showed a replay of that one. Not a good look for the circuit. Apparently there’s 350 of them, that now all need to be double checked. We are only an hour away from the F2 qualifying session, which could delay (or worse) the F1 P2 session.

George Russell won’t be going out in P2 whatever happens though, he probably needs a new chassis.
    Worse, the recovery truck hit the bridge, and they now have to check its structural integrity.

Russell quite lucky not to suffer serious injury.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

To be fair, he is a step up from his predecessor!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

It's a mystery to me too. To anybody who follows politics that statement really did read like it was written with a gun to his head or an explosive device down his trousers. Those memes that fly about are usually fun but absurd, however in this case, the idea that he had been kidnapped and these were the forced and stilted words of a hostage, missing only the stark head-shot, the bulging eyes, and the held-up copy of that day's Times, it rang true. It was exactly like that. What gives?
  • Options
    Samsung are running scared.

iFixit has decided to pull its revealing Samsung Galaxy Fold teardown. The decision is said to have been made after Samsung indirectly requested its removal from the website, which published the teardown on Wednesday.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/26/ifixit-pulls-galaxy-fold-teardown-samsungs-request/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

To be fair, he is a step up from his predecessor!
    Boris got a worldwide co-ordinated response to the Salisbury poisonings.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited April 2019
    Yeah that non standard question generally produces larger leads for Unionists.

Still if we get Indyref2 the UK government knows that question should be on the ballot papers.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It's a mystery to me too. To anybody who follows politics that statement really did read like it was written with a gun to his head or an explosive device down his trousers. Those memes that fly about are usually fun but absurd, however in this case, the idea that he had been kidnapped and these were the forced and stilted words of a hostage, missing only the stark head-shot, the bulging eyes, and the held-up copy of that day's Times, it rang true. It was exactly like that. What gives?

I suppose, just thinking about it, it could be that he wanted it to read like that. So it was obvious to all that he was not 'free' as it were, and these were not his real views.

Rather like when a woman, say, is being held by a hostile intruder and the phone goes and the intruder says "OK answer it but be normal." So she does and it's her husband and he says, "Hi honey, everything OK?"

To which she replies, "Yes, buttercup, just off to Tesco in a minute."

Except that she NEVER calls him buttercup (she hates that sort of thing) and she NEVER goes to Tesco, never would, it's Waitrose all the way.

Hence hubby is tipped off and he calls the cops.

Perhaps it's like that here with Lord Adonis.
  • Options

He’s doing a damn sight better than his predecessor.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

Irregular verbs time.

But have we gone from "Leak Inquiry" to an actual attempt to find the leaker yet? ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It was well-known that Adonis was an enthusiastic cheerleader for Remain when the NEC selected him, but there's a difference between that and haughtily telling all Leave voters that their votes were not wanted, Hillary Clinton-style.

In any case, again, as much as some people (including Adonis, and possibly you?) think that Labour's political interests are best served by being virulently anti-Brexit, the party's polling trajectory this year suggests a different story.
  • Options

iFixit has decided to pull its revealing Samsung Galaxy Fold teardown. The decision is said to have been made after Samsung indirectly requested its removal from the website, which published the teardown on Wednesday.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/26/ifixit-pulls-galaxy-fold-teardown-samsungs-request/

I think they’ve reacted quite sensibly, and with commendable speed - in sharp contrast to the way they dealt with the Galaxy 7 problems.

More interestingly, they’ve decided to take on Intel and TSMC in processor chip fabrication.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Sandpit said:

He’s doing a damn sight better than his predecessor.
    If you add up Hunt's gaffes I'm not so sure about that.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

"Aphrodite and Persephone had a dispute over Adonis because both of the goddesses wanted him and Persephone refused to give him back. In the end, Zeus had to get involved and settle the argument once and for all.

Zeus told the goddesses that a third of a year should be given to both of them and the other would be for Adonis to decide. Adonis chose to be with....the Labour Party.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I suppose, just thinking about it, it could be that he wanted it to read like that. So it was obvious to all that he was not 'free' as it were, and these were not his real views.

Rather like when a woman, say, is being held by a hostile intruder and the phone goes and the intruder says "OK answer it but be normal." So she does and it's her husband and he says, "Hi honey, everything OK?"

To which she replies, "Yes, buttercup, just off to Tesco in a minute."

Except that she NEVER calls him buttercup (she hates that sort of thing) and she NEVER goes to Tesco, never would, it's Waitrose all the way.

Hence hubby is tipped off and he calls the cops.

Perhaps it's like that here with Lord Adonis.
    But rather easier for him to just say no.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

It was well-known that Adonis was an enthusiastic cheerleader for Remain when the NEC selected him, but there's a difference between that and haughtily telling all Leave voters that their votes were not wanted, Hillary Clinton-style.
    Of course. But the statement he put out was a complete contradiction of everything he had previously stood for.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I think they’ve reacted quite sensibly, and with commendable speed - in sharp contrast to the way they dealt with the Galaxy 7 problems.

More interestingly, they’ve decided to take on Intel and TSMC in processor chip fabrication.

That should be the marketing slogan for the fold, ‘At least it doesn’t explode.’
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

But rather easier for him to just say no.

Well, yes, but sometimes these clever types get too clever by half.
  • Options

Agreed. Can see why the statement was made (to remind people that Labour, unlike the Tories, can still impose message discipline on candidates) but the tone was too servile and obviously forced.
    And the content was very clearly at odds with everything Adonis has been saying for the past three years!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

There is nothing Thatcherite about Hunt - at all. Nothing Thatcherite about this Tory Party sadly. Try running a health service without doctors. Thatcher was smart enough not to try.
    Well he seems to have gone from being pro to anti EU, so that's a bit like Magrit.

Though afaics Magrit was a LOT more pro EU than Hunt.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

"Aphrodite and Persephone had a dispute over Adonis because both of the goddesses wanted him and Persephone refused to give him back. In the end, Zeus had to get involved and settle the argument once and for all.

Zeus told the goddesses that a third of a year should be given to both of them and the other would be for Adonis to decide. Adonis chose to be with....the Labour Party.

It is a great name, isn't it.
  • Options
    Gavin eslers price is Way too short on the current polling, its evens at best change get an mep surely?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Is Tommy Robinson actually standing?
    Some of those don’t look right as they are #2 or #3 on the lists.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited April 2019

I am planning to take Mike's advice and get a Xiao Mi Pocofone. Direct links to 八一大楼.

Edit: apologies for using the Chinese language the translation is Ba Yi Da Lou.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

A fellow Question Time panellist (of Hunt, not me) I spoke to recently said he’s as thick as mince, Japanese ability notwithstanding.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:
    Yes, in the North West.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Tommy Robinson 6/4 to be elected as an MEP? That's a 2 in 5 chance. OMG.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:
    Yes, in the North West as an Indy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Tommy Robinson 6/4 to be elected as an MEP? That's a 2 in 5 chance. OMG.

Hes gonna need about 10% against 7 competitors........ surely the EDL types aren't a 10% presence??
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Just can't see Labour getting two MEPs in the SW. So Adonis will have sold his soul for what?
  • Options
    I don’t think it’ll happen.

How will his name appear on the ballot paper?

If it is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon then that’s going to cost him.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

It's not even impossible that the Conservatives will top the poll. YouGov have the gap at only 6% between first and third.

I think I'll follow the polls closely, and vote for the party that is best placed to beat Labour.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I am planning to take Mike's advice and get a Xiao Mi Pocofone. Direct links to 八一大楼.

Edit: apologies for using the Chinese language the translation is Ba Yi Da Lou.
    Assume you'll be getting the armoured version?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I don't doubt that there's some great money to be had on the Euro elections but I think I'm steering clear. Call it chicken, but there's so much about the whole Brexit issue that I simply cannot call, or even fathom. I've never known anything like it in politics. So I'm crossing by on the other side of the road for this one.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    If on Tuesday Labour come out decisively for a people's vote that will see them top the poll.

Er, I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Sandpit said:
    Yes, in the North West as an Indy.
    Ah okay, that explains why he wasn’t on the UKIP list. There’s 8 seats in the NW, are more than 12.5% really going to vote for him by name, in preference to any party?

Was rather hoping that we’d avoid his name being involved with the elections.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Sandpit said:

Just can't see Labour getting two MEPs in the SW. So Adonis will have sold his soul for what?
    "To take a man's soul, and give him *nothing* in return, that is what really gladdens the heart of Our Father Below" according to Screwtape.
This discussion has been closed.