Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money goes on a 78 year old to take on a 74 year old at WH

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money goes on a 78 year old to take on a 74 year old at WH2020

Betdata.io chart of movement on the Betfair exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    GO JOE !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Biden's problem is Sanders is much closer to him in the key early states of Iowa and New Hampshire then he is nationally
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    FPT

> @Stereotomy said:

> Kinder, gentler politics:

>

>

>

>

>

> They're protesting a fundraiser that JW3 is holding for http://garintzabar.org/ . Looks like a peaceful protest, so I don't really see what the problem is.

I imagine that if France were still occupying territory conquered in war more than fifty years ago as Israel is doing in the West Bank that there would be protests against any fund-raising to support recruits to the French Foreign Legion.

Poppy-selling annually ignites controversy to give an actually existing example.

It's only anti-Semitic if the criticism is because they are Jews, rather than because of what they are doing, regardless of whether they are Jews. This doesn't seem to be an exceptional protest.
    And in fact two of the very few banners there are "Solidarity with Israeli Conscientious Objectors Refusing to oppress Palestine" and "International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network", both of which messages explicitly reject anti-antisemitism.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Warren is in her late 60s, Trump is already over 70, I don't think Biden and Sanders are is a big issue
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2019
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > And in fact two of the very few banners there are "Solidarity with Israeli Conscientious Objectors Refusing to oppress Palestine" and "International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network", both of which messages explicitly reject anti-antisemitism.

Jeez, that http://garintzabar.org/ website is an eyefcuk,
    (we've run it past the lawyers & we think this probably isn't antisemitic-ed)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @HYUFD said:
    > Warren is in her late 60s, Trump is already over 70, I don't think Biden and Sanders are is a big issue

Politically it might not be, but physically it might become so.

Suppose Biden formally becomes the Dem nominee in July 2020. There's a greater than normal chance of his health failing before the vote in November, solely because he's roughly double the age of some other contenders.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited May 2019
    On topic, I stand by the comments I made a month and a half ago. Biden stands a very good chance of winning both the nomination and the White House.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/03/16/key-fact-biden-leads-the-dem-2020-polling-despite-not-yet-running/#vanilla-comments
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > Biden's problem is Sanders is much closer to him in the key early states of Iowa and New Hampshire then he is nationally

Sanders has been actively campaigning in NH and Iowa in a way that Biden hasn't. Plenty of time for that to change now that Joe is in the field.

In any case, even a relatively poor showing for Biden as against expectations will still keep him comfortably in the race, where (if we are taking current polling as indicative, which we shouldn't), his strength elsewhere would see him through.

For the moment, the important polling stat is the national figure because that's probably the one that'll be most closely related to fundraising capacity.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1123557873190150145?s=20

Wonder if Brexit Party will unveil their candidate (assuming there is a by election) ?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1123557873190150145?s=20
    >
    > Wonder if Brexit Party will unveil their candidate (assuming there is a by election) ?

Ramsay Bolton innit ? :-)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    HYUFD said:
    If you keep taunting me with Trump tweets I am going to retaliate big time with a stream of Owen Jones.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

FPT

> @Stereotomy said:

>

>

>

>

>

> They're protesting a fundraiser that JW3 is holding for http://garintzabar.org/ . Looks like a peaceful protest, so I don't really see what the problem is.

I imagine that if France were still occupying territory conquered in war more than fifty years ago as Israel is doing in the West Bank that there would be protests against any fund-raising to support recruits to the French Foreign Legion.

Poppy-selling annually ignites controversy to give an actually existing example.

It's only anti-Semitic if the criticism is because they are Jews, rather than because of what they are doing, regardless of whether they are Jews. This doesn't seem to be an exceptional protest.
    And in fact two of the very few banners there are "Solidarity with Israeli Conscientious Objectors Refusing to oppress Palestine" and "International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network", both of which messages explicitly reject anti-antisemitism.
    It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it. A perfectly respectable protest for outside the Israeli embassy. Intimidating and anti-semitic if carried out at a Jewish centre.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1123557873190150145?s=20
    >
    > Wonder if Brexit Party will unveil their candidate (assuming there is a by election) ?

Won't it be Richard Tice ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    OT - the age thing is irritating - health and ability vary enormously between people regardless of age. Ageist comments should be no more acceptable than racial or religious ones.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @HYUFD said:

> Warren is in her late 60s, Trump is already over 70, I don't think Biden and Sanders are is a big issue

Politically it might not be, but physically it might become so.

Suppose Biden formally becomes the Dem nominee in July 2020. There's a greater than normal chance of his health failing before the vote in November, solely because he's roughly double the age of some other contenders.

Nancy Pelosi is 79 now !

Trump is 72 and at least 20 stone.

Biden seems to be in very good physical health for a 76 year old man, I think the demands of the job might mean he becomes a one term president though. 82 is old regardless of any level of fitness..
    Being president ages people for sure (See Obama !). But he wouldn't be running if he didn't feel he was up to campaigning and doing the job for the next 6 years at least. Being ex VP will mean he has a good idea of the demands too.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    When you are old and grey and full of sleep
    Trudge around Iowa and look for a Veep.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

When you are old and grey and full of sleep
    Trudge around Iowa and look for a Veep.

Hey, Sleepy Joe, put away that mogadon
    Head to the Iowa State Fair corn dog-athon
  • Options

FPT

> @Stereotomy said:

>

>

>

>

>

It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it. A perfectly respectable protest for outside the Israeli embassy. Intimidating and anti-semitic if carried out at a Jewish centre.
    But the centre is the one holding the fundraiser which they're protesting.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    In a way Biden is fortunate he is up against Trump, and Sanders and Warren are big rivals in the primaries.
    The age thing would look way worse if someone like Rubio was POTUS.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited May 2019
    When you look at this site through VanillaCommunity, all you can see are the same bloody twitter pictures time and time again on whole thread displays. Perhaps the inveterate Twitter cut and pasters could think and change to writing something original (or at least in their own voice)?

The sight of Nigel “not a racist apologist, oh no” Farage repeated time and time again is pretty unpleasant.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

FPT

> @Stereotomy said:

>

>

>

>

>

Oh I see, so the Jewish centre has chosen to involve itself in politics. Well they are fair game then.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    It really doesn't say much for the next generation of politicians (or even the generation after that) does it? But if a failed senatorial candidate who lost to lying Ted and a town Mayor is the best that they can offer why shouldn't the oldies have another go?

It really is time for some new voices and new ideas. And not just in the USA.
  • Options
    My current betting position on the Democrat nomination:

Small red: Hillary Clinton, Andrew Yang
    Small green: Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Beto O'Rourke, Tulsi Gabbard
    Medium green: Elizabeth Warren
    Large green: the field

I'm not expecting to get rich but it keeps it all interesting.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Formatted correctly above
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > My current betting position on the Democrat nomination:
    >
    > Small red: Hillary Clinton, Andrew Yang
    > Small green: Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Beto O'Rourke, Tulsi Gabbard
    > Medium green: Elizabeth Warren
    > Large green: the field
    >
    > I'm not expecting to get rich but it keeps it all interesting.

Small red: Yang, Gillibrand, Booker, Klobucher

Medium Red: Bernie

Medium green: Biden, Buttigieg*, O'Rorke, Warren

Large green: Castro, Hickenlooper

Was very green, but laid off some. But very very green for Buttigieg to actually be POTUS.
  • Options
    To me the most obviously best placed candidate is Kamela Harris who is 54, senator for the biggest state in the Union, an effective prosecutor who does well in legalistic settings such as hearings.

What I have completely missed from this side of the pond is any vision, imagination, passion or innovative thinking from her. She strikes me as a slightly better Hillary with less baggage but the same managerial view of the world. Which is a shame because this field is not exactly going to have Trump trembling in his boots.
  • Options

Small green: Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Beto O'Rourke, Tulsi Gabbard

Heh Here is mine to the nearest tenner combining Generic winner, nomination and POTUS bets :

1st column presidency, 2nd nomination

-380 Trump 170
    560 Biden 90
    150 Sanders & Field Dem 90
    330 E Warren 270
    470 Buttigieg 10
    150 Harris -160
    150 O Rourke 10
    160 Yang -160
    1900 Klobuchar -160
    120 M Pence -270
    -380 J Kasich & Field GOP -270
    -380 N Haley -270
    400 Avenatti 90
    300 S Brown 90
  • Options
    > @felix said:
    > OT - the age thing is irritating - health and ability vary enormously between people regardless of age. Ageist comments should be no more acceptable than racial or religious ones.

While there's an element of truth in that, older political leaders don't have a great track record.

People do tire with age, as well as mental capacity tending to recede and other health problems tending to increase. Obviously, from individual to individual, you can get some who make it to 90 in fine mental and physical shape but they are very much the exception.

Biden looks healthy and capable but the health question is one that is certainly far more relevant to him than to, say, Mayor Pete, when you're potentially signing someone up to a five year term (the time from the Iowa caucus to inauguration day 2025).

Clearly, this isn't something just for Biden; it applies to Sanders and (particularly given his weight and lifestyle), Trump too.
  • Options
    But remember that Donald Trump has a level of health & fitness, both physical and mental, that is truly spectacular. Not just for his age, for anybody.

His BP is 105 over 75.
    His resting heart beat is 35 (similar to Bjorn Borg in his prime).
    His prostate is more peanut than walnut - and perfectly smooth too.
    His 'good' divide 'bad' cholesterol ratio is so high it's verging on the ridiculous.

A complete outlier, all told, therefore cannot be compared to more typical wrinklies such as Biden or Sanders.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2019
    > @david_herdson said:
    > > @felix said:
    > > OT - the age thing is irritating - health and ability vary enormously between people regardless of age. Ageist comments should be no more acceptable than racial or religious ones.
    >
    > While there's an element of truth in that, older political leaders don't have a great track record.
    >
    > People do tire with age, as well as mental capacity tending to recede and other health problems tending to increase. Obviously, from individual to individual, you can get some who make it to 90 in fine mental and physical shape but they are very much the exception.
    >
    > Biden looks healthy and capable but the health question is one that is certainly far more relevant to him than to, say, Mayor Pete, when you're potentially signing someone up to a five year term (the time from the Iowa caucus to inauguration day 2025).
    >
    > Clearly, this isn't something just for Biden; it applies to Sanders and (particularly given his weight and lifestyle), Trump too.

Both Thatcher and Reagan died severely demented; who knows whether they were getting that way while still in office? The distribution of dementia over different age groups is a very strong argument for going for younger leaders.
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > But remember that Donald Trump has a level of health & fitness, both physical and mental, that is truly spectacular. Not just for his age, for anybody.
    >
    > His BP is 105 over 75.
    > His resting heart beat is 35 (similar to Bjorn Borg in his prime).
    > His prostate is more peanut than walnut - and perfectly smooth too.
    > His 'good' divide 'bad' cholesterol ratio is so high it's verging on the ridiculous.
    >
    > A complete outlier, all told, therefore cannot be compared to more typical wrinklies such as Biden or Sanders.

He looks amazingly fat for a 17 stone 6'3 man !
  • Options
    > @Ishmael_Z said:
    > > @david_herdson said:
    > > > @felix said:
    > > > OT - the age thing is irritating - health and ability vary enormously between people regardless of age. Ageist comments should be no more acceptable than racial or religious ones.
    > >
    > > While there's an element of truth in that, older political leaders don't have a great track record.
    > >
    > > People do tire with age, as well as mental capacity tending to recede and other health problems tending to increase. Obviously, from individual to individual, you can get some who make it to 90 in fine mental and physical shape but they are very much the exception.
    > >
    > > Biden looks healthy and capable but the health question is one that is certainly far more relevant to him than to, say, Mayor Pete, when you're potentially signing someone up to a five year term (the time from the Iowa caucus to inauguration day 2025).
    > >
    > > Clearly, this isn't something just for Biden; it applies to Sanders and (particularly given his weight and lifestyle), Trump too.
    >
    > Both Thatcher and Reagan died severely demented; who knows whether they were getting that way while still in office? The distribution of dementia over different age groups is a very strong argument for going for younger leaders.

I don't think that there is any doubt that George HW Bush was effectively President during Reagan's last couple of years as well as his own term. Which was fine because he was the technocrat's technocrat and way, way smarter than his son.

I don't think that I have the same level of comfort about Pence.
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > But remember that Donald Trump has a level of health & fitness, both physical and mental, that is truly spectacular. Not just for his age, for anybody.
    >
    > His BP is 105 over 75.
    > His resting heart beat is 35 (similar to Bjorn Borg in his prime).
    > His prostate is more peanut than walnut - and perfectly smooth too.
    > His 'good' divide 'bad' cholesterol ratio is so high it's verging on the ridiculous.
    >
    > A complete outlier, all told, therefore cannot be compared to more typical wrinklies such as Biden or Sanders.

If that's true. but then Trump is an inveterate outliar.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited May 2019
    FPT:

I consider the chance of the P'bo recall petition failing as vanishingly small.

Given:
    - c.30 percent of people turn out in 15 hours to elect local councillors on no better reasoning than the state of the bins and what colour rosette they wear.
    - the propensity of the GB public to give people in authority a bloody good kicking even when there *isn't* a strong, linked reason.
    - the widespread local and national condemnation of her case, including by all main parties.
    - the fact they've had weeks to vote/sign after months to chunter about what a disgrace she is.
    - the pretty blatant nature of her offence.
    - the fact she's held on and voted in otherwise-tied votes on Brexit.
    - and I hesitate to add it, but a dollop of casual, unconscious racism and sexism and a bit of inverse snobbery as per point 2, which will probably add a couple of %...

... I'd be a bit surprised if it doesn't pass 20 per cent.

Of course, one should never overestimate the GB public's willingness to get off its arse and participate in democracy, but all of the drivers are there on this one.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2019
    A novel approach to increasing whippersnapper engagement with the Tories.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1123567753334595587
  • Options
    With the exception of Churchill's first term (or even just his first couple of years), has there been any example of any effective British PM (or even party leader), over the age of 65 since 1918?
  • Options
    > @Harris_Tweed said:
    > FPT:
    >
    > I consider the chance of the P'bo recall petition failing as vanishingly small.
    >
    > Given:
    > - c.30 percent of people turn out in 15 hours to elect local councillors on no better reasoning than the state of the bins and what colour rosette they wear.
    > - the propensity of the GB public to give people in authority a bloody good kicking even when there *isn't* a strong, linked reason.
    > - the widespread local and national condemnation of her case, including by all main parties.
    > - the fact they've had weeks to vote/sign after months to chunter about what a disgrace she is.
    > - the pretty blatant nature of her offence.
    > - the fact she's held on and voted in otherwise-tied votes on Brexit.
    > - and I hesitate to add it, but a dollop of casual, unconscious racism and sexism and a bit of inverse snobbery as per point 2, which will probably add a couple of %...
    >
    > ... I'd be a bit surprised if it doesn't pass 20 per cent.
    >
    > Of course, one should never overestimate the GB public's willingness to get off its arse and participate in democracy, but all of the drivers are there on this one.
    >

Set against all that is
    - the widespread contempt for speed limits and road traffic offences in general.
    - the assumption that the petition will succeed at a canter so individually participating is not vital.
    - the lack of time pressure created by the six-week period creating a tendency to put off participating until it is more convenient, but it never being perfectly convenient.
    - the greater distance most people will have to travel to sign restive to polling station locations.

I'd be very disappointed if it doesn't pass, but something like 12.5% wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @david_herdson said:
    > With the exception of Churchill's first term (or even just his first couple of years), has there been any example of any effective British PM (or even party leader), over the age of 65 since 1918?

Or even 55 ?

Gordon Brown was only 56 and was garbage.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    DavidL said:

To me the most obviously best placed candidate is Kamela Harris who is 54, senator for the biggest state in the Union, an effective prosecutor who does well in legalistic settings such as hearings.

What I have completely missed from this side of the pond is any vision, imagination, passion or innovative thinking from her. She strikes me as a slightly better Hillary with less baggage but the same managerial view of the world. Which is a shame because this field is not exactly going to have Trump trembling in his boots.

She makes Hillary seem warm.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

You laying, not backing?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.

And all Labour's spokeswoman could do this morning is laugh.

How long can decent Labourites stomach this?
  • Options
    > @Casino_Royale said:
    >
    > Small green: Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Beto O'Rourke, Tulsi Gabbard
    >
    >
    > You laying, not backing?

Generally better to lay in long term contests.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar said:

"He looks amazingly fat for a 17 stone 6'3 man!"

There is that, yes, but the fitness must be there. A golf handicap of 3, for example, which seems almost unbelievable, looking at him, but it just goes to show.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.

As long as needed...

https://twitter.com/CatMcKinnell/status/1123505890143940612
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Still over a decade younger than Enrico Dandolo when he led the assault that conquered Constantinople.
  • Options

You laying, not backing?
    As usual, yes. It's well-suited to this type of race, as different candidates come in and out of favour.

It's only a couple of weeks ago that I was told that it was well odds-on that the eventual nominee would be one of Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Beto O'Rourke. Since then the first two have shortened, the latter two have lengthened, Pete Buttigieg shortened to below 5 at one point and has lengthened again while Elizabeth Warren seems to be shortening for now.

We haven't even had the first debate yet and actual votes don't get cast for many months. There's plenty of time for others to gain (and lose) momentum. I suspect the correct move right now would be to lay both Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. They'll almost certainly each have stumbles.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    > @TGOHF said:
    > > @david_herdson said:
    > > With the exception of Churchill's first term (or even just his first couple of years), has there been any example of any effective British PM (or even party leader), over the age of 65 since 1918?
    >
    > Or even 55 ?
    >
    > Gordon Brown was only 56 and was garbage.

And Churchill's problem was not age but alcohol.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1123557873190150145?s=20
    > >
    > > Wonder if Brexit Party will unveil their candidate (assuming there is a by election) ?
    >
    > Won't it be Richard Tice ?

In an FPTP election, won't they split the right-wing vote?
    Good for Labour if so.
  • Options
    @david_herdson said:

"If that's true. but then Trump is an inveterate outliar."

Seems to be just accepted now, doesn't it, brazen mendacity?

In fact I'd say that that, plus the elevation of ignorance and bigotry as something to be flaunted rather than kept hidden, will be Trump's Legacy.

And a very powerful one too. Way more important and influential than any specific policies.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    > @HYUFD said:
    > Biden's problem is Sanders is much closer to him in the key early states of Iowa and New Hampshire then he is nationally

That would be more of a problem if it was winner take all, rather than proportional
  • Options
    @david_herdson said:

"With the exception of Churchill's first term (or even just his first couple of years), has there been any example of any effective British PM (or even party leader), over the age of 65 since 1918?"

Well Jeremy is 69. Will turn 70 this month, actually. The 26th.

Date for the diary.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/1123588824347680768

"When the Jewish Chronicle asked Lord Prescott about his comments, he replied "Fuck Off". Asked why he was using foul language, he replied "Because you're a journalist. Fuck Off."
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.
    >
    > And all Labour's spokeswoman could do this morning is laugh.
    >
    > How long can decent Labourites stomach this?

Without going into the details, as Freedland does in the Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/01/jeremy-corbyn-blind-antisemitism-hobson it's easy to rationalize it as opponents applying am unfair double-standard to Corbyn.

The Freedland article makes for uncomfortable reading.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.
    >
    >

Have you read Hobson's book 'Imperialism' written over 100 years ago?
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/1123588824347680768
    >
    > "When the Jewish Chronicle asked Lord Prescott about his comments, he replied "Fuck Off". Asked why he was using foul language, he replied "Because you're a journalist. Fuck Off."

Well, at least he didn't use another word beginning with 'j' ... :)
  • Options
    Roger said:

> @JosiasJessop said:

>

>

The Guardian isn't impressed........
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/01/jeremy-corbyn-blind-antisemitism-hobson
  • Options
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > To me the most obviously best placed candidate is Kamela Harris who is 54, senator for the biggest state in the Union, an effective prosecutor who does well in legalistic settings such as hearings.
    >
    > What I have completely missed from this side of the pond is any vision, imagination, passion or innovative thinking from her. She strikes me as a slightly better Hillary with less baggage but the same managerial view of the world. Which is a shame because this field is not exactly going to have Trump trembling in his boots.
    >
    > She makes Hillary seem warm.

I think her problem will be that some stories will emerge from her time as a prosecutor that either (a) she puts people of colour unfairly behind bars or (b) allowed offenders to walk free, or possibly both.
  • Options

FPT

> @Stereotomy said:

>

>

>

>

>

Oh I see, so the Jewish centre has chosen to involve itself in politics. Well they are fair game then.
    Yeah, for sure if they had picked JW3 purely because it was a Jewish centre, that would be antisemitic.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Roger said:

> @JosiasJessop said:

; Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.

It'll 'emerge' on twitter that he once read "Charlie and the chocolate factory" to his kids next.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/1123588824347680768
    > >
    > > "When the Jewish Chronicle asked Lord Prescott about his comments, he replied "Fuck Off". Asked why he was using foul language, he replied "Because you're a journalist. Fuck Off."
    >
    > Well, at least he didn't use another word beginning with 'j' ... :)

At least he didn't start hissing at them.
  • Options
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > FPT > @Stereotomy said:
    >
    > > Kinder, gentler politics:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/GoonerProf/status/1123472102424829953
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > They're protesting a fundraiser that JW3 is holding for http://garintzabar.org/ . Looks like a peaceful protest, so I don't really see what the problem is.
    >
    >
    >
    > I imagine that if France were still occupying territory conquered in war more than fifty years ago as Israel is doing in the West Bank that there would be protests against any fund-raising to support recruits to the French Foreign Legion.
    >
    >
    >
    > Poppy-selling annually ignites controversy to give an actually existing example.
    >
    >
    >
    > It's only anti-Semitic if the criticism is because they are Jews, rather than because of what they are doing, regardless of whether they are Jews. This doesn't seem to be an exceptional protest.
    >
    > And in fact two of the very few banners there are "Solidarity with Israeli Conscientious Objectors Refusing to oppress Palestine" and "International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network", both of which messages explicitly reject anti-antisemitism.
    >
    > It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it. A perfectly respectable protest for outside the Israeli embassy. Intimidating and anti-semitic if carried out at a Jewish centre.
    >
    > But the centre is the one holding the fundraiser which they're protesting.
    >
    > Oh I see, so the Jewish centre has chosen to involve itself in politics. Well they are fair game then.
    >
    > Yeah, for sure if they had picked JW3 purely because it was a Jewish centre, that would be antisemitic.

There is a fantastic cafe at Jw3. A rare oasis of value in an expensive part of the world.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @JosiasJessop said:

He wrote (in 2011) a foreword for a book. The book is considered a solid tome on the defects of capitalism, inter alia, and has been quoted approvingly by mainstream left figures over the years, including Gordon Brown.

However, the author (and some of the book) is antisemitic in pushing the line that Jews controlled the financial system and did so for nefarious purposes. I get the impression that such a view was not uncommon back then. The book was written in 1902.

All told, not an incident that IMO will move the needle. If you are convinced that Corbyn is genuinely an antisemite, you will certainly not change your view based on this. But if you think that his 'anti' is more towards capitalism and (what he considers to be) western imperialism, then you will continue to think that.
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    >
    >
    >
    > *
    >
    > He wrote (in 2011) a foreword for a book. The book is considered a solid tome on the defects of capitalism, inter alia, and has been quoted approvingly by mainstream left figures over the years, including Gordon Brown.
    >
    > However, the author (and some of the book) was antisemitic in pushing the line that Jews controlled the financial system and did so for nefarious purposes. I get the impression that such a view was not uncommon back then. The book was written in 1902.
    >
    > All told, not an incident that IMO will move the needle. If you are convinced that Corbyn is genuinely an antisemite, you will certainly not change your view based on this. But if you think that his 'anti' is more towards capitalism and (what he considers to be) western imperialism, then you will continue to think that.

I disagree. The foreword engaged in some detail with the book, including praising anti-Semitic sections, and did not even include a single caveat which could have been made as an aside in one clause in a sentence.

This is not the behaviour of a "lifelong anti-racist".
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > @Harris_Tweed said:
    > > FPT:
    > >
    > > I consider the chance of the P'bo recall petition failing as vanishingly small.
    > >
    > > Given:
    > > - c.30 percent of people turn out in 15 hours to elect local councillors on no better reasoning than the state of the bins and what colour rosette they wear.
    > > - the propensity of the GB public to give people in authority a bloody good kicking even when there *isn't* a strong, linked reason.
    > > - the widespread local and national condemnation of her case, including by all main parties.
    > > - the fact they've had weeks to vote/sign after months to chunter about what a disgrace she is.
    > > - the pretty blatant nature of her offence.
    > > - the fact she's held on and voted in otherwise-tied votes on Brexit.
    > > - and I hesitate to add it, but a dollop of casual, unconscious racism and sexism and a bit of inverse snobbery as per point 2, which will probably add a couple of %...
    > >
    > > ... I'd be a bit surprised if it doesn't pass 20 per cent.
    > >
    > > Of course, one should never overestimate the GB public's willingness to get off its arse and participate in democracy, but all of the drivers are there on this one.
    > >
    >
    > Set against all that is
    > - the widespread contempt for speed limits and road traffic offences in general.
    > - the assumption that the petition will succeed at a canter so individually participating is not vital.
    > - the lack of time pressure created by the six-week period creating a tendency to put off participating until it is more convenient, but it never being perfectly convenient.
    > - the greater distance most people will have to travel to sign restive to polling station locations.
    >
    > I'd be very disappointed if it doesn't pass, but something like 12.5% wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe.. much of which I encapsulate, possibly over-casually, in my last line.

Where I would push back: I think most people get that the case is about lying in court rather than speeding though.. and when it's from a 'privileged' person, there's a strong Us vs Them driver. I didn't notice much sympathy for Chris Huhne et al.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @OblitusSumMe said:

"I disagree. The foreword engaged in some detail with the book, including praising anti-Semitic sections, and did not even include a single caveat which could have been made as an aside in one clause in a sentence.

This is not the behaviour of a "lifelong anti-racist".

Ah OK. That is interesting. I have not read either the book or his foreword.

But when you say you disagree with me, what I was saying is that I did not think it will move the needle on this issue, so you think that it WILL, do you?

For example, did you used to think that Corbyn was probably NOT a genuine antisemite but now, having looked into this, you have changed your mind and you think he probably is?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    > @Roger said:
    > > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.
    > >
    > > And all Labour's spokeswoman could do this morning is laugh.
    > >
    > > How long can decent Labourites stomach this?
    >
    > Have you read Hobson's book 'Imperialism' written over 100 years ago?
    >

More to the point has Jeremy read it.
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > @david_herdson said:
    >
    > "With the exception of Churchill's first term (or even just his first couple of years), has there been any example of any effective British PM (or even party leader), over the age of 65 since 1918?"
    >
    > *
    >
    > Well Jeremy is 69. Will turn 70 this month, actually. The 26th.
    >
    > Date for the diary.

Indeed. Corbyn's record so far is not particularly impressive: one lost election, endless internal dissent, problems with extremism and bigotry, and policy confusion.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @JosiasJessop said:
    >
    > ; Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.
    >
    >
    >
    > It'll 'emerge' on twitter that he once read "Charlie and the chocolate factory" to his kids next.

I expect he's commended a play called Merchant of Venice in the past as well.

Outrageous antisemitic drama.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @rcs1000 said:

"There is a fantastic cafe at JW3. A rare oasis of value in an expensive part of the world."

Yes, it's a nice place. I live quite close and I pop in for a coffee every now and again.

"Two sugars but no cream and easy on the Zionist oppression of the Palestinian people", I always joke, when I order.

They love me down there.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Greetings from LA.
    LAX was an absolute hellhole last night, I actually laughed out loud upon encountering the sheer mayhem of it. I wasn’t laughing 2 hours later..

Whether Corbyn is personally anti-Semitic or not is irrelevant at this point. It’s abundantly clear that the ideology he is promoting comes with lashings of anti-Semitism, anti-Westernism, and general intolerance of liberal values baked in.

His becoming PM is terrifying, but is now odds on, because of Brexit.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1123605849832923136

Many MPs are in for surprise then. They will have to drag her out of Downing Street.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1123600866785861633

replace "I was talking in the abstract" with "LYING"
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    >
    > "I disagree. The foreword engaged in some detail with the book, including praising anti-Semitic sections, and did not even include a single caveat which could have been made as an aside in one clause in a sentence.
    >
    > This is not the behaviour of a "lifelong anti-racist".
    >
    > *
    >
    > Ah OK. That is interesting. I have not read either the book or his foreword.
    >
    > But when you say you disagree with me, what I was saying is that I did not think it will move the needle on this issue, so you think that it WILL, do you?
    >
    > For example, did you used to think that Corbyn was probably NOT a genuine antisemite but now, having looked into this, you have changed your mind and you think he probably is?

Well there's a conflict between should and will. I think this is something that, if people look at the details in Freedland's article, would change minds, but I accept that people will choose a side without doing that.

I would say that before this I was more willing to give Corbyn the benefit of the doubt on being personally anti-Semitic, but condemn him for being unwilling to tackle it in others. Increasingly I am finding that position untenable.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    > @Gardenwalker said:
    > Greetings from LA.
    > LAX was an absolute hellhole last night, I actually laughed out loud upon encountering the sheer mayhem of it. I wasn’t laughing 2 hours later..
    >
    > Whether Corbyn is personally anti-Semitic or not is irrelevant at this point. It’s abundantly clear that the ideology he is promoting comes with lashings of anti-Semitism, anti-Westernism, and general intolerance of liberal values baked in.
    >
    > His becoming PM is terrifying, but is now odds on, because of Brexit.

Why was LAX so bad? Have I missed something in the news or is it always like that? Useful to know for future reference.
  • Options
    Thayer5Thayer5 Posts: 97
    edited May 2019
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1123600866785861633

Sounds to me like T May has basically given up, and sees only one credible solution: pushing through MV4 with the help of Labour. If that doesn't work (and it probably won't) she will resign.
  • Options
    > @Roger said:
    > > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > Been out, so don't know if this has been discussed, but I see Corbyn's got himself mired in an anti-Semitism mess again.
    > >
    > > And all Labour's spokeswoman could do this morning is laugh.
    > >
    > > How long can decent Labourites stomach this?
    >
    >

No. I also haven't read Mein Kampf or Mao's Little Red Book.

And your point is?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If the Tories get less than 15% at the Euro elections, it would be curtains for most Tory leaders. But you get the feeling the May-bot will completely ignore it, as usual.
  • Options
    Thayer5Thayer5 Posts: 97
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Gardenwalker said:
    > > Greetings from LA.
    > > LAX was an absolute hellhole last night, I actually laughed out loud upon encountering the sheer mayhem of it. I wasn’t laughing 2 hours later..
    > >
    > > Whether Corbyn is personally anti-Semitic or not is irrelevant at this point. It’s abundantly clear that the ideology he is promoting comes with lashings of anti-Semitism, anti-Westernism, and general intolerance of liberal values baked in.
    > >
    > > His becoming PM is terrifying, but is now odds on, because of Brexit.
    >
    > Why was LAX so bad? Have I missed something in the news or is it always like that? Useful to know for future reference.

It's been notoriously sketchy for decades. The worst bit is the car rental return depots, which are miles from the airport. Unless you know what you are doing, you can easily miss a flight out, as you try to locate the Avis/Hertz/Budget office.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1123605849832923136
    >
    > Many MPs are in for surprise then. They will have to drag her out of Downing Street.

Beth is usually quite good and listening to TM at PMQs today she seemed ready to pass on the problem. She just went through the motions

I have been loyal to TM through this as I believe she achieved the best possible deal but both extremes decided to fight to the end with no compromise

I am therefore of the opinion she should allow a proper successor election commencing later this month or early June much as was suggested by Beth.

It cannot come soon enough now for me
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    >
    >
    > You laying, not backing?
    >
    > As usual, yes. It's well-suited to this type of race, as different candidates come in and out of favour.
    >
    > It's only a couple of weeks ago that I was told that it was well odds-on that the eventual nominee would be one of Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Beto O'Rourke. Since then the first two have shortened, the latter two have lengthened, Pete Buttigieg shortened to below 5 at one point and has lengthened again while Elizabeth Warren seems to be shortening for now.
    >
    > We haven't even had the first debate yet and actual votes don't get cast for many months. There's plenty of time for others to gain (and lose) momentum. I suspect the correct move right now would be to lay both Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. They'll almost certainly each have stumbles.

Thanks
  • Options

> @Gardenwalker said:

> Greetings from LA.

> LAX was an absolute hellhole last night, I actually laughed out loud upon encountering the sheer mayhem of it. I wasn’t laughing 2 hours later..

>

> Whether Corbyn is personally anti-Semitic or not is irrelevant at this point. It’s abundantly clear that the ideology he is promoting comes with lashings of anti-Semitism, anti-Westernism, and general intolerance of liberal values baked in.

>

> His becoming PM is terrifying, but is now odds on, because of Brexit.

Why was LAX so bad? Have I missed something in the news or is it always like that? Useful to know for future reference.

I can only really describe it as a grand failure of organisation, signposting, and “user experience”.

It’s a newish airport, but upon disembarking you eventually find yourself in a large hall of seemingly dozens of snaking queues, with no obvious rhyme or reason.

In the melee, uniformed women can be vaguely discerned calling plaintively for “student visas” or “Air Mexico transit passengers” or whatever —- otherwise, it’s up to you to figure out what the hell is going on.

There are no less than three queues you must go through. The first to access a digital passport scanning kiosk, which issues you a ticket. The second to actually get your passport stamped, and a third to leave baggage pick up.

Such is the chaos there seem to be dozens - if not hundreds - of employees focused just on trying to manage the lines.

A PSA is delivered every 10 minutes advising US and Canadian citizens to “download the app”...but the hall is deep underground so there is no connectivity so you need to figure out WiFi first ... etc etc.

I believe there are more streamlined procedures but it was first time back in US on a new passport...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    > @AndyJS said:
    > If the Tories get less than 15% at the Euro elections, it would be curtains for most Tory leaders. But you get the feeling the May-bot will completely ignore it, as usual.

I think TM knows the end is a few weeks away and I expect her to allow a seemly election for her successor
  • Options
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Gardenwalker said:
    > > Greetings from LA.
    > > LAX was an absolute hellhole last night, I actually laughed out loud upon encountering the sheer mayhem of it. I wasn’t laughing 2 hours later..
    > >
    > > Whether Corbyn is personally anti-Semitic or not is irrelevant at this point. It’s abundantly clear that the ideology he is promoting comes with lashings of anti-Semitism, anti-Westernism, and general intolerance of liberal values baked in.
    > >
    >
    > Why was LAX so bad? Have I missed something in the news or is it always like that? Useful to know for future reference.

Whatever you do, don't arrive at the international terminal at LA (TBIT) because it's where all the flights from South America and Asia arrive. You can find yourself in a mile long queue that stretches out of immigration.

Try to fly Virgin into LAX, they are at a much quieter terminal. (American can also be ok.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

> @Richard_Tyndall said:

> > @Gardenwalker said:

> > Greetings from LA.

> >

> >

>

Whatever you do, don't arrive at the international terminal at LA (TBIT) because it's where all the flights from South America and Asia arrive. You can find yourself in a mile long queue that stretches out of immigration.

Try to fly Virgin into LAX, they are at a much quieter terminal. (American can also be ok.)

And indeed, the wonderful service from Air NZ was not worth the horrifying experience at LAX.

I expect to need to come to LA for business maybe once a quarter and will be travelling Virgin methinks.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Afternoon all :smile:

Yes, I've done the Air NZ transit lounge - I'm sure I saw a Nixon/Agnew bumper sticker under one of the chairs. That said, the restrooms are fine, there was plenty of food and drink and it was okay.

Mrs Stodge speaks with far greater warmth about Changi Airport and the transit between the Singapore Airlines and the Air NZ flights there and indeed Hong Kong airport isn't too bad.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Not being a bettor I try to aim for the jugular, in this case Trump's. And from what little I know (must research it.) Harris looks best to me.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    > @Thayer5 said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1123600866785861633
    >
    > Sounds to me like T May has basically given up, and sees only one credible solution: pushing through MV4 with the help of Labour. If that doesn't work (and it probably won't) she will resign.

If it doesn't work she could resign. Or she could prepare for MV5...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @stodge said:
    > Afternoon all :smile:
    >
    > Yes, I've done the Air NZ transit lounge - I'm sure I saw a Nixon/Agnew bumper sticker under one of the chairs. That said, the restrooms are fine, there was plenty of food and drink and it was okay.
    >
    > Mrs Stodge speaks with far greater warmth about Changi Airport and the transit between the Singapore Airlines and the Air NZ flights there and indeed Hong Kong airport isn't too bad.

Airports are so romantic.
This discussion has been closed.