Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Campbell purged from Corbyn’s LAB for backing the LDs

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Campbell purged from Corbyn’s LAB for backing the LDs in last week’s election

Well this is all going a bit East Germany ca 1953 … Labour expels Alastair Campbell from party https://t.co/q35cU1ysVr

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited May 2019
    Edited.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    Stupid move by Labour. It undoes part of the progress they might have made with the switchers over the last 24 hours by Corbyn moving, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Part of the internal struggle over Brexit, I think.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Fpt

Poor old Jeremy (happy birthday to him btw) just can't for the life of him understand why Labour members, Labour members should want to act in the interests of the country as they see it rather than just work to elect a Labour government.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Bad Al is not one of the good guys, even if Corbyn were the vilest of anti semites
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    It's clearly been done to deflect from the EHRC decsion to investigate Labour for racism and is a squirrel designed for credulous members. However, it opens a massive can of worms and will be successfully appealed - if necessary via the courts. And Labour really doesn't want that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    This should tell moderate Lab MPs what they already know.

First they came for the Jews, and I did nothing,
    Then they came for the former press officers and I did nothing
    etc etc
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @kle4 said:
    > If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion?

Sure, but why is it so hard to expel anti-semites?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    Gah, new threads.

If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion?
    nico67 said:

Lisa Nandy and the rest of the Labour MPs against a second vote are seriously beginning to get on my nerves now .

What do they propose is the way out now.

She expects Labour to ignore 80% of its members , and now 70% of its voters to keep her happy .

Labour have to come off the fence and make a choice .

I passed that point a long time ago. If she means what she says she would have made the difficult choice of approving a sub optimal deal. But just moaning about a ref is pointless.

Jesus, has politics come to this?

Yes.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    It also has the potential to recast Blairites as Remainers, as that was the ostensible reason for this.

Very dangerous for Corbyn's Labour, that.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @kle4 said:

> If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion?

Sure, but why is it so hard to expel anti-semites?

Their loyalty protects them for some reason.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @isam said:
    > Bad Al is not one of the good guys, even if Corbyn were the vilest of anti semites

Disagree. He's a Burnley fan
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    Expelling Campbell will probably do Labour a favour.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion?
    >
    > Sure, but why is it so hard to expel anti-semites?

Re Campbell (not the anti-semites), a party has to be realistic as well as follow the rules. If you drop from 40% to 14% in 2 years, the right response is not to punish the 65% of voters who switched but the people in charge of strategy over that period.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    > @rottenborough said:
    > This should tell moderate Lab MPs what they already know.
    >
    > First they came for the Jews, and I did nothing,
    > Then they came for the former press officers and I did nothing
    > etc etc

Just like the good old days when Blair and Campbell were in charge then?

We only got involved in a war then on false pretences in which tens of thousands of men, women and children died...
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > Gah, new threads.
    >
    > If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion? Lisa Nandy and the rest of the Labour MPs against a second vote are seriously beginning to get on my nerves now .
    >
    >
    >
    > What do they propose is the way out now.
    >
    >
    >
    > She expects Labour to ignore 80% of its members , and now 70% of its voters to keep her happy .
    >
    >
    >
    > Labour have to come off the fence and make a choice .
    >
    > I passed that point a long time ago. If she means what she says she would have made the difficult choice of approving a sub optimal deal. But just moaning about a ref is pointless.
    >
    >
    > Jesus, has politics come to this?
    >
    > Yes.

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1133295790120734721?s=20
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1133344346810527744

I was beginning to worry that it was going to be a walkover.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    FPT, but perhaps more relevant to this one:

The LibDems really have chosen a damned silly time to have a leadership contest, especially one which looks likely to produce a very lightweight leader at a time when they really need to get serious again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/1133347374800211968

Will he also be sent to a re-education camp?
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:

Cleverly an outside bet I know a lot of members who would vote for him and he is telegenic and he was a Leaver. If not next Party chairman
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion?
    >
    > Sure, but why is it so hard to expel anti-semites?

Because it's Party Before Country. It's the same in the Tories. Rampant Islamophobics, Hezza suspended. A plague on both their houses.
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    Sorry for Campbell. There must be thousands of Tory members who voted Brexit on Thursday as well as Labour members voting Green or Lib Dem. Campbell's crime was to admit it on tv. Good job we have a secret ballot for the rest of us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @kle4 said:

> Gah, new threads.

>

> If people publicly back another party I'm not sure what a party is supposed to do other than expel - dissent is one thing but open rebellion? Lisa Nandy and the rest of the Labour MPs against a second vote are seriously beginning to get on my nerves now .

>

>

>

> What do they propose is the way out now.

>

>

>

> She expects Labour to ignore 80% of its members , and now 70% of its voters to keep her happy .

>

>

>

> Labour have to come off the fence and make a choice .

>

> I passed that point a long time ago. If she means what she says she would have made the difficult choice of approving a sub optimal deal. But just moaning about a ref is pointless.

>

>

> Jesus, has politics come to this?

>

> Yes.

Posturing and trying to hide behind her constituents. She's being judged for being all talk, and just obstructive to any path, her voters are not being judged
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    > @Scott_P said:

Good. I want to hear what he has to offer. But I'm much more likely to vote for him than Gove.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Malthouse on the radio talking about what will happen if "the EU chooses No Deal." He mentioned it about a dozen times. Apparently, this is the case if they don't hand us exactly what we demand on a plate.
    The latest Newspeak to re-frame the discourse, and cast the blame on dastardly foreigners?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Reaction from readers over at the Guardian looks ominous for the leadership. I predict some very bad poll numbers for Labour coming up.
  • Options

> @isam said:

> Bad Al is not one of the good guys, even if Corbyn were the vilest of anti semites

Disagree. He's a Burnley fan

Every cloud!
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @Scott_P said:

>

Good. I want to hear what he has to offer. But I'm much more likely to vote for him than Gove.
    I wondered why that money was there!

I like this fellow, him or Gove would be fine
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Somebody should try making a twitter account with a wildcard name like * or % or something and tweet that you voted LibDem, see if you can make them auto-exclude everybody in the database. At this point I reckon throwing out everybody in the Labour Party and starting again from scratch is the only way to fix it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Malthouse on the radio talking about what will happen if "the EU chooses No Deal." He mentioned it about a dozen times. Apparently, this is the case if they don't hand us exactly what we demand on a plate.
    > The latest Newspeak to re-frame the discourse, and cast the blame on dastardly foreigners?

The EU negotiated a deal, based on our (or rather, May's) red lines.
    It's still open to acceptance.
    As is the option to revoke.

No deal would be our choice.
  • Options
    Poor Bad Al. Bleating and crying because he gets booted out of Labour for voting for another party. What would he be like if he was getting hounded for disagreeing with a dodgy dossier?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1133344346810527744
    >
    > Cleverly an outside bet I know a lot of members who would vote for him and he is telegenic and he was a Leaver. If not next Party chairman
    >
    >

Heard Malthouse on the news and thought he could be a runner if he can get through early rounds? Do any of the party object to him? Having the Malthouse compromise named after him should make him stand out amongst the anonymous MPs - realistically how many of the members know much about Hancock, Stewart, McVey, Cleveley, Harper, Brady, Malthouse et al? He can build a plausible story about delivering Brexit around that.

Re party chairman, it seems like a rubbish role to park people who are not very good but likely to hang around? If not in government, head of a select committee seems more powerful and interesting.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > FPT, but perhaps more relevant to this one:
    >
    > The LibDems really have chosen a damned silly time to have a leadership contest, especially one which looks likely to produce a very lightweight leader at a time when they really need to get serious again.
    >

Choice isn't really the right word though, is it ?

Unless you're suggesting that Great Uncle Vince could carry on with his gradual disappearing act for a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > Poor Bad Al. Bleating and crying because he gets booted out of Labour for voting for another party. What would he be like if he was getting hounded for disagreeing with a dodgy dossier?

This topic shows why this is so ill-advised for Labour. He's going to be identified as a "Remainer", from a "Blairite".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.

Apart from his vote. :p
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Nigelb said:

Choice isn't really the right word though, is it ?

Unless you're suggesting that Great Uncle Vince could carry on with his gradual disappearing act for a bit.

Yes, fair point. Perhaps I should have said 'it's unfortunate that..'
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Bad Al Out! :D
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @HYUFD said:
    > CUK leadership crisis
    >
    > https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1133251637269749761?s=20

I'd always side with lovely Heidi rather than gin-soaked Soubry! :D
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    He knew what he was doing and he courted this response. I expect he is quietly satisfied.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    dixiedean said:

Malthouse on the radio talking about what will happen if "the EU chooses No Deal." He mentioned it about a dozen times. Apparently, this is the case if they don't hand us exactly what we demand on a plate.

The latest Newspeak to re-frame the discourse, and cast the blame on dastardly foreigners?

Yes. I coined the term "failing and blaming" to describe this behaviour. It is more productive for Con MPs to fail and blame Europe than it is to achieve anything. Our elite at work, people.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1133350754113269760

Indeed. Instead they should focus their attacks on Paul Mason and Alasdair Campbell. That's how we win.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > He knew what he was doing and he courted this response. I expect he is quietly satisfied.

An astute point. Bad Al doesn't do anything without knowing the outcome of his actions.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > FPT, but perhaps more relevant to this one:
    >
    > The LibDems really have chosen a damned silly time to have a leadership contest, especially one which looks likely to produce a very lightweight leader at a time when they really need to get serious again.
    >

It's only silly because they don't have two good candidates to fight a contest to replace Cable. If they did then the timing would look good, benefiting from the extra media exposure their recent success will bring to make a positive handover from Cable to a new generation.
  • Options
    This will start to detoxify politicians of Blair's generation in the eyes of younger pro-European Momentum activists, rather than start to remove them.

Very, very stupid.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.

Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party
  • Options
    > @WhisperingOracle said:
    > This will start to detoxify politicians of Blair's generation in the eyes of younger pro-European Momentum activists, rather than start to remove them.
    >
    > Very, very stupid.

Campbell is beyond redemption. He's going to hell with Blair.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    > @RobD said:
    > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    >
    > Apart from his vote. :p

Well possibly. Or rather Al, and the countless others who lent their votes to other parties on Thursday (from both the red and blue teams), were doing so to get their party to see sense and adopt a better policy position. In the case of Labour this might actually be happening.

When Labour got fewer votes in Richmond than there are party members was there an investigation to find and purge the guilty? No. Party members vote for another party for a whole host of reasons - tactical, to send a message in a 'free hit' election, vote swap, etc. There are plenty of PBers who have voted for another party over the years; I'm not aware of any of us being expelled from our parties.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    edited May 2019
    It's rather amusing that Campbell, one of the chief architects of the Iraq War, is finally booted out of Labour for voting for the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    >
    > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party

I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    > @RobD said:
    > > @SandyRentool said:
    >
    > Apart from his vote. :p

I understand there is a dossier of his misdeeds and it was imperative to expel him within a period of 45 minutes...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    > @williamglenn said:
    > Theresa May does Radiohead.
    >
    > twitter.com/politicsjoe_uk/status/1131849752230940673?s=21

Not one of their best.
  • Options

Bad Al doesn't do anything without knowing the outcome of his actions.

He knew the consequences of the Iraq War?

(I agree incidentally, he must have been expecting this.)
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    > @madmacs said:
    > Sorry for Campbell. There must be thousands of Tory members who voted Brexit on Thursday as well as Labour members voting Green or Lib Dem. Campbell's crime was to admit it on tv. Good job we have a secret ballot for the rest of us.

I think it is actually quite common for members to vote for another party. I’ve done it myself.
  • Options
    > > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    > >
    > > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party
    >
    > I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.

It was May and Brexit who revived the Labour vote in 2017 not Corbyn.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    The thing is, Labour's position on Brexit was incomprehensible. Campbell just voiced what many Labour supporters thought and did.

They're on the road to ruin. As are the tories.

Which leaves a huge gaping chasm in the centre ground, right there for the taking.
  • Options
    This is a remarkably balanced and interesting article on the Brexit Party by ex-Kipper MEP (and now SDP candidate in Peterborough) Patrick O’Flynn:

https://brexitcentral.com/if-the-brexit-party-wants-further-triumphs-nigel-farage-should-drop-its-shrink-the-state-philosophy/
  • Options

> This will start to detoxify politicians of Blair's generation in the eyes of younger pro-European Momentum activists, rather than start to remove them.

>

> Very, very stupid.

Campbell is beyond redemption. He's going to hell with Blair.

Famous ditty from the 1920s:

Lloyd George, no doubt
    When his life ebbs out
    Will ride in a flaming chariot;
    Seated in state
    On a read hot plate
    'Twixt Satan and Judas Iscariot.

Ananias that day
    To the Devil will say,
    'My claim for precedence fails.
    Move me up higher
    Away from the fire,
    And make way for that liar - from Wales!'

Unfortunately though 'bad Al' works as a substitute for the first two words, I'm struggling to find a decent rhyme for the last one to match Campbell. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
  • Options
    > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > @WhisperingOracle said:
    > > > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > > > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    > > >
    > > > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party
    > >
    > > I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.
    >
    > It was May and Brexit who revived the Labour vote in 2017 not Corbyn.

Not only. Corbyn's platform clearly resonated with a whole chunk of C2DE voters, against all the expectations of the London media.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    RobD said:
    In fairness - reluctant though I am to be fair to Laura Murray - she does have a point.
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @Anorak said:
    > > https://twitter.com/Maomentum_/status/1133353345253560320
    >
    > Fair and Balanced. :)

Still not entirely misplaced!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Irony being, of course, that the LibDems were the party wot opposed the Iraq War in 2003.

BTW I voted for them several times between 2001 and 2008.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It also has the potential to recast Blairites as Remainers, as that was the ostensible reason for this.

Very dangerous for Corbyn's Labour, that.

Or Remainers as blairites

Which might help Corbyn retain the youth wing
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    > > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > > @WhisperingOracle said:
    > > > > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > > > > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > > > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    > > > >
    > > > > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party
    > > >
    > > > I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.
    > >
    > > It was May and Brexit who revived the Labour vote in 2017 not Corbyn.
    >
    > Not only. Corbyn's platform clearly resonated with a whole chunk of C2DE voters, against all the expectations of the London media.

Yup - since previous leaders lost General elections Corbyn has lost one GE, a European election and at least 2 sets of local elections, precipitated numerous defections from the party and created a storm over anti-semitism entirely because of his own duplicitous role in it. Awesome! Oh Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > Bad Al doesn't do anything without knowing the outcome of his actions.
    >
    > He knew the consequences of the Iraq War?
    >
    > (I agree incidentally, he must have been expecting this.)

Even he is not quite that bad.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

> > @RochdalePioneers said:

> > > @SandyRentool said:

> > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.

> >

> > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party

>

> I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.

It was May and Brexit who revived the Labour vote in 2017 not Corbyn.

More people voted for May than wot voted for Cameron in 2015 and 2010.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @felix said:
    > > > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > > > @WhisperingOracle said:
    > > > > > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > > > > > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > > > > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party
    > > > >
    > > > > I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.
    > > >
    > > > It was May and Brexit who revived the Labour vote in 2017 not Corbyn.
    > >
    > > Not only. Corbyn's platform clearly resonated with a whole chunk of C2DE voters, against all the expectations of the London media.
    >
    > Yup - since previous leaders lost General elections Corbyn has lost one GE, a European election and at least 2 sets of local elections, precipitated numerous defections from the party and created a storm over anti-semitism entirely because of his own duplicitous role in it. Awesome! Oh Jeremy Corbyn.

I'm not commenting one way or the other on his internal errors ; but it's difficult to argue that Corbyn didn't raise Labour's vote share and poll ratings before the Brexit iceberg hit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm coming to the conclusion that Corbyn must indeed be the Jezziah.

He's apparently worked the amazing miracle of making Watson feel shame.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > CUK leadership crisis
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1133251637269749761?s=20
    >
    > I'd always side with lovely Heidi rather than gin-soaked Soubry! :D

Anna for her many negatives was always a Tory - Heidi never really was.
  • Options

This is a remarkably balanced and interesting article on the Brexit Party by ex-Kipper MEP (and now SDP candidate in Peterborough) Patrick O’Flynn:

https://brexitcentral.com/if-the-brexit-party-wants-further-triumphs-nigel-farage-should-drop-its-shrink-the-state-philosophy/

He is a good guy. Gave me the nod on Farage standing in one of the Thanets when they were 2/1 & 9/1 w Lads

His interview with Matt Forde is interesting

https://player.fm/series/the-political-party/show-85-patrick-oflynn
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > The thing is, Labour's position on Brexit was incomprehensible. Campbell just voiced what many Labour supporters thought and did.
    >
    > They're on the road to ruin. As are the tories.
    >
    > Which leaves a huge gaping chasm in the centre ground, right there for the taking.

The SNP’s already there.
  • Options
    Cleverly, a black Brexiteer, would stymie Farage and Corbyn I think. He comes across as reasonable and normal, a lot going for him in my opinion
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    >
    > > > @RochdalePioneers said:
    >
    > > > > @SandyRentool said:
    >
    > > > > So entryists who until a couple of years ago were doing everything possible to destroy the Labour Party while supporting various far-left nutjob organisations have decided to expel someone who has given 100% for the Labour Party.
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Corbyn is the lead cancer cell of the cancer which is consuming the Labour Party
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I wouldn't go that far. Corbyn revived the party's results in 2017, despite his mistakes. Its biggest enemy is a combination of Brexit and sectarianism, I think.
    >
    >
    >
    > It was May and Brexit who revived the Labour vote in 2017 not Corbyn.
    >
    > More people voted for May than wot voted for Cameron in 2015 and 2010.

You can be popular and unpopular at the same time, see Trump.

The 2017 election switchers were largely signalling their preference for a soft/hard Brexit, but as the country was divided just got a gridlock non Brexit.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    > @ydoethur said:
    > It's rather amusing that Campbell, one of the chief architects of the Iraq War, is finally booted out of Labour for voting for the Liberal Democrats.

I thought he was a press officer , not commander in chief.
    Main architetect, you do spout some crap.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    More drama in Dublin.

The returning officer finally decided after sleeping on it to distribute the lower preferences of the fifth place Sinn Fein candidate and the independents 4 change candidate has won the third seat after the fifteenth count. Fianna Fail aren't happy as their guy - now in the 4th place spot - will have to now wait for Brexit to take his seat as an MEP.

Seems the returning officer agreed with the elections ministers advice from early this morning - which he later changed. And this may go to court - unless Brexit happens and makes it academic!

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0528/1052105-local-eu-elections/
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Also, if we hadn't had Alastair Campbell we wouldn't have had Malcolm Tucker.

Contemplate that for a moment before wishing him ill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8VFb2wxolM

;)
  • Options
    > @Yorkcity said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    > > It's rather amusing that Campbell, one of the chief architects of the Iraq War, is finally booted out of Labour for voting for the Liberal Democrats.
    >
    > I thought he was a press officer , not commander in chief.
    > Main architetect, you do spout some crap.

Campbell had far more power in New Labour than almost anyone.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Kit Malthouse on WatO sounded good to me. Could come through the middle.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Surprised how sharp the odds are on the CL final. Spurs 16/5 - in 90 minutes presumably. Are they that unlikely to win?
  • Options

Also, if we hadn't had Alastair Campbell we wouldn't have had Malcolm Tucker.
    Contemplate that for a moment before wishing him ill.
    ;)

You mean we would have had to survive without insight like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/mar/12/malcolm-tucker-election-briefing

Mind you, his remarks about chicken entrails vs polls seems positively prescient.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    edited May 2019
    Btw anyone notice that John Humphrys nearly did a James Naughtie redux when introducing Jeremy Hunt on the radio this morning as 'Jeremy C...ook"?
This discussion has been closed.