Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the TMay successor betting Gove replaces Raab as second fav

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the TMay successor betting Gove replaces Raab as second favourite – Johnson still clear favourite

There have now been two working days since TMay announced her exit programme and there has been quite a lot of movement on the Betfair exchange where £0.75m has been gambled in the past week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    1st?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    2nd like Boris
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    I can honestly say I have no idea which two will emerge. Expect fun and back stabbing galore. Not ready to risk my hard earned yet though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Gove is OK as an ideas man but he should be kept in a back room in Downing St so the public hardly ever set eyes on him...

Too repulsive to be PM.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Mother Leadsom seems to have drifted from this morning !
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    FPT
    TGOHF said:

> @williamglenn said:

> > @TGOHF said:

> > > @williamglenn said:

> > > Is Sajid Javid getting paid by the SNP to be so tone deaf?

> >

> > Scotland is falling apart - education, crime , poverty, university admissions.

> >

> > Nicola is throwing the same squirrel over and over - why do the weak minded keep ignoring her falling level of support ?

> >

> >

>

> It’s the UK that’s falling apart.

Former FM and the "father of losing referendums" pending trial for sex offences....

You Tory boys don't like it that SNP after 12 years in power just get more popular. Really sticks in your craw. Especially the Toom tabard versions.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    FPT
    TGOHF said:

> @williamglenn said:

> Is Sajid Javid getting paid by the SNP to be so tone deaf?

Scotland is falling apart - education, crime , poverty, university admissions.

Nicola is throwing the same squirrel over and over - why do the weak minded keep ignoring her falling level of support ?

LOL, Scotland is just fine, crime is very low , not seen or heard of anyone I know being involved in one in nearly 50 years, tuition is free , poverty is less than England and SNP are covering some of the worst Tory policies , and we get free prescriptions, home care for the elderly, they are building hundreds of new centres for childcare, and so it goes on and on, despite the Tories best efforts.
    Think you have been gone too long Harry and the green cheese is getting the better of you, maybe a visit to Scotland would help you with truth and reality.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    When is Boris going to launch his campaign? Has he done anything yet?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    > @FrankBooth said:
    > When is Boris going to launch his campaign? Has he done anything yet?

Sounds like he is from the May school of thought, starting a campaign well in the lead means no campaigning is required. Worked out well for her....
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > Gove is OK as an ideas man but he should be kept in a back room in Downing St so the public hardly ever set eyes on him...
    >
    > Too repulsive to be PM.<

+++++

"Repulsive"?!?!

He's not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, but then Leonardo DiCaprio is not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, not any more.

Gove has a slightly goofy face, but by the (very low) standards of parliamentary pulchritude, he is OK. Modestly presentable.

Or do you mean his views are repulsive? But then again I struggle to agree. He's quite moderate in most things. And has some sensible ideas.

Rory Stewart is the one who does look quite eerie and ghoulish sometimes. (Tho according to Twitter he is fancied by a certain kind of woman)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    > @malcolmg said:
    > FPT
    > TGOHF said:
    >
    > > @williamglenn said:
    >
    > > > @TGOHF said:
    >
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    >
    > > > > Is Sajid Javid getting paid by the SNP to be so tone deaf?
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Scotland is falling apart - education, crime , poverty, university admissions.
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Nicola is throwing the same squirrel over and over - why do the weak minded keep ignoring her falling level of support ?
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It’s the UK that’s falling apart.
    >
    >
    >
    > Former FM and the "father of losing referendums" pending trial for sex offences....
    >
    > You Tory boys don't like it that SNP after 12 years in power just get more popular. Really sticks in your craw. Especially the Toom tabard versions.

Not this tory boy Malc. I have considerable respect for her devotion to doing the best for Scotland though I do not agree on Independence
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Maybe someone has an expose on Raab and steroids which is causing the drop?

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1133766250797178880
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    When is Mordaunt announcing? She is one of my potential big winners
  • Options
    Jo Johnson is backing Boris?????

The same Jo Johnson who thinks we need to stay in the EU?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    > @Byronic said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > Gove is OK as an ideas man but he should be kept in a back room in Downing St so the public hardly ever set eyes on him...
    > >
    > > Too repulsive to be PM.<
    >
    > +++++
    >
    > "Repulsive"?!?!
    >
    > He's not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, but then Leonardo DiCaprio is not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, not any more.
    >
    > Gove has a slightly goofy face, but by the (very low) standards of parliamentary pulchritude, he is OK. Modestly presentable.
    >
    > Or do you mean his views are repulsive? But then again I struggle to agree. He's quite moderate in most things. And has some sensible ideas.
    >
    > Rory Stewart is the one who does look quite eerie and ghoulish sometimes. (Tho according to Twitter he is fancied by a certain kind of woman)

Gove was the one who said that after Brexit we would hold all the cards and choose our own course (or equally dim words to that effect). Either he was dissembling, in which case he is monumentally untrustworthy, or he really believed it, in which case he is monumentally stupid.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Latest endorsements from Tory MPs:
    >
    > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0

is there a histgoram function in Google sheets that returns the number of entries for a given category? That might be a nice way to tally the scores from both sources.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Jezza's crew are idiots.

The return of Campbell will be the test as to whether the Labour is back under sane leadership.
  • Options
    > @RH1992 said:
    > Maybe someone has an expose on Raab and steroids which is causing the drop?
    >
    > https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1133766250797178880<;

++++

Looks more like Sildenafil Citrate than Steroids, TBH
  • Options
    Do I count more supporters for Hunt than Boris?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697
    Curse of the new thread:

RobD said:

I thought that was a picture of Stuart. :D Why people have profile pics of those they vehemently disagree with is beyond me.

I've no idea either.....
    *looks at profile picture - realises he's not a communist*
    Maybe I should change mine.....

Any suggestions for a good profile pic for a Scouser who doesn't support Liverpool, Everton or Labour (Or Tranmere or Marine AFC)?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Jonathan said:

> @Big_G_NorthWales said:

> > @Jonathan said:

> > I hereby announce my candidacy for Leader of the Conservative Party. My pitch is that despite not being an MP or a supporter and being opposed to many conservative values, I am not the worst candidate on offer. Not being from any faction, I am uniquely placed to unite the party and move it towards the common ground of politics.

>

> I am actually before you in the queue as I am a member and voted conservative in the EU election so I cannot be disenfranchised. Indeed I believe I could beat several of these candidates with my eyes shut

If you voted Conservative in the EU elections you are clearly not a true Conservative and hereby relegated to ChangeUK you wooly Liberal.

That’s not even a joke to many who voted BXP I bet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    > @AndyJS said:
    >
    > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0

Interesting - a very wide geographic support for Boris, given that we keep being told here that his charm doesn't work outside the M25.....
  • Options
    > @anothernick said:

>
    > Gove was the one who said that after Brexit we would hold all the cards and choose our own course (or equally dim words to that effect). Either he was dissembling, in which case he is monumentally untrustworthy, or he really believed it, in which case he is monumentally stupid. <

+++++

That was quite dim. Or devious. And is a mark against him, for sure.

But the choice is very very poor. I'd reluctantly opt for Gove, as the best of a bad bunch, if I were a Tory member.

Hunt is Teresa May in much better trousers. Johnson is, well, Johnson. Raab is uninspiring, even if he is "hung like a mountain yak". Javid is disqualified by his terrible video, launching his campaign. Hancock is OK but banal. I like Cleverly, but he is too obscure, I fear. McVey is too No Dealy. Leadsom lacks oomph.

So Gove it is?
  • Options

Curse of the new thread:

RobD said:

I thought that was a picture of Stuart. :D Why people have profile pics of those they vehemently disagree with is beyond me.

I've no idea either.....

Any suggestions for a good profile pic for a Scouser who doesn't support Liverpool, Everton or Labour (Or Tranmere or Marine AFC)?
    A dragon, since you are clearly a non existent creature of myth - a scouser who doesn’t support Labour, preposterous.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Curse of the new thread:

RobD said:

I've no idea either.....

A prawn sandwich?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @TheValiant said:
    > Curse of the new thread:
    > I thought that was a picture of Stuart. :D Why people have profile pics of those they vehemently disagree with is beyond me.
    >
    > I've no idea either.....
    > *looks at profile picture - realises he's not a communist*
    > Maybe I should change mine.....
    >
    >
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good profile pic for a Scouser who doesn't support Liverpool, Everton or Labour (Or Tranmere or Marine AFC)?

Esther?!
  • Options
    There we are. USS Reliant - NCC 1864

That'll do.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited May 2019

Blood is thicker than water.

Ed and David Miliband take note.

Or Boris is secretly telling people he would never exit with No Deal.

I mean how else has got Amber to back him.
  • Options

> @Byronic said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> > Gove is OK as an ideas man but he should be kept in a back room in Downing St so the public hardly ever set eyes on him...

> >

>

> +++++

>

> "Repulsive"?!?!

>

> He's not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, but then Leonardo DiCaprio is not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, not any more.< />
    >

> Gove has a slightly goofy face, but by the (very low) standards of parliamentary pulchritude, he is OK. Modestly presentable.

>

> Or do you mean his views are repulsive? But then again I struggle to agree. He's quite moderate in most things. And has some sensible ideas.

>

> Rory Stewart is the one who does look quite eerie and ghoulish sometimes. (Tho according to Twitter he is fancied by a certain kind of woman)

Gove was the one who said that after Brexit we would hold all the cards and choose our own course (or equally dim words to that effect). Either he was dissembling, in which case he is monumentally untrustworthy, or he really believed it, in which case he is monumentally stupid.

But he knows now he was wrong so he’s not as stupid as others in the race and brace enough to change position even though it is embarrassing.
  • Options
    > @TheValiant said:
    > There we are. USS Reliant - NCC 1864
    >
    > That'll do.

Why not USS Valiant? :D
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?
  • Options
    RobD said:

> @TheValiant said:

> There we are. USS Reliant - NCC 1864

>

> That'll do.

Why not USS Valiant? :D

It got blew up.... oh wait....
    Never took to the Valiant. Crewed by numpty kids.

What happened to the crew of the Reliant by the way? I assume Enterprise did actually rescue them from Ceti Alpha 5?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > Jo Johnson is backing Boris?????
    >
    >
    >
    > The same Jo Johnson who thinks we need to stay in the EU?
    >
    > Blood is thicker than water.
    >
    > Ed and David Miliband take note.
    >
    > Or Boris is secretly telling people he would never exit with No Deal.
    >
    > I mean how else has got Amber to back him.

Is it Amber back the Malthouse Compromise as an alternative to the deal?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Interesting that senior cabinet ministers with reasonable numbers of endorsements - Hunt, Javid and Hancock - are not rated at all in the betting market. That makes this leadership election really unusual. Perhaps that's a reason for the favourite to win this time?
  • Options
    > @Chris said:
    > Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?

Not sure joking about mental health is the best idea
  • Options
    > @Chris said:
    > Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?

Or perhaps the Trade Descriptions Act to get rid of Cleverly at least?
  • Options
    > @TheValiant said:
    > > @TheValiant said:
    >
    > > There we are. USS Reliant - NCC 1864
    >
    > >
    >
    > > That'll do.
    >
    >
    >
    > Why not USS Valiant? :D
    >
    > It got blew up.... oh wait....
    > Never took to the Valiant. Crewed by numpty kids.
    >
    > What happened to the crew of the Reliant by the way? I assume Enterprise did actually rescue them from Ceti Alpha 5?

The star trek wiki says that they were rescued, and cites the movie. Not sure how accurate that is though; they could still be stranded there :o
  • Options
    > @TheValiant said:
    > I thought that was a picture of Stuart. :D Why people have profile pics of those they vehemently disagree with is beyond me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good profile pic for a Scouser who doesn't support Liverpool, Everton or Labour (Or Tranmere or Marine AFC)?

How can you not like Tranmere?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @Chris said:

Completely inappropriate attempt at humour.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Byronic said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > >
    >
    > +++++
    >
    > "Repulsive"?!?!
    >
    > He's not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, but then Leonardo DiCaprio is not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, not any more.
    >
    >
    >

Well he's no looker granted but "repulsive" in that the whole Gove package (from demenour to views to looks) is just a huge turn off.

He plots. He schemes. He seems to live his life as though its a neverending episode of Games Of Thrones. He seems to be entirely disingenuous. He's hated by large sections of the electorate. His wife is a Daily Mail columnist etc etc etc.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Kit Malthouse has changed his name to "Join Kit"

https://twitter.com/kitmalthouse/status/1133750309896040448
  • Options
    > > @Chris said:
    > > Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?
    >
    > Not sure joking about mental health is the best idea

Who's joking? I really think some of these people are making a case for politicians undergoing a psychiatric examination before being allowed to take office.
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......
  • Options

> @TheValiant said:

>

>

>

>

How can you not like Tranmere?

I've always disliked Tranmere. It goes back to my support for Port Vale in the 1990s when they were both in Tier 2 and Vale usually finished below Tranmere.
  • Options
    With so many standing it does raise the question how do broadcasters put them all under scrutiny in a two hour programme.

It also occured to me today that there will be wide number of offers on the table to win the prize and the viewers response to both the candidates and their ideas will be a wonderful opportunity for those planning the next manifesto to include eye catching and popular suggestions

Additionally how on earth are the Lib Dems going to get coverage for their leadership race
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    What's the betting something stupid happens like a tie for second place.
  • Options
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......<

+++++

And so it does. Hah. A Blairite having a bit of fun at Google Towers?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @Chris said:
    > > Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?
    >
    > Completely inappropriate attempt at humour.

I am fine with it, after a lifetime of major depressive disorder plus autism. And it's actually quite funny.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    edited May 2019

Interesting that senior cabinet ministers with reasonable numbers of endorsements - Hunt, Javid and Hancock - are not rated at all in the betting market. That makes this leadership election really unusual. Perhaps that's a reason for the favourite to win this time?

The odds on Lib Coalition winning the Australian Federal Election at the moment the polls closed was 10% according to Australian Betfair. They won.

I think it's time we took this "betting odds are predictive" malarky out behind the shed and shoot it. How many elections since 2010 has it gotten wrong?
  • Options
    > @houndtang said:
    > What's the betting something stupid happens like a tie for second place.

It provides in the Conservative Party Constitution that a tie will be settled by a game of Real Tennis.

Probably.
  • Options
    > @Chris said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @Chris said:
    > > > Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?
    > >
    > > Not sure joking about mental health is the best idea
    >
    > Who's joking? I really think some of these people are making a case for politicians undergoing a psychiatric examination before being allowed to take office.

Just plain silly and no respect for those with mental health issues
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited May 2019
    > @Byronic said:
    > > @RH1992 said:
    > > Maybe someone has an expose on Raab and steroids which is causing the drop?
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1133766250797178880<;
    >
    > ++++
    >
    > Looks more like Sildenafil Citrate than Steroids, TBH

Truly a hard-Brexiteer.
  • Options
    > @RH1992 said:
    > Maybe someone has an expose on Raab and steroids which is causing the drop?
    >
    > https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1133766250797178880

Well that will get Gab-A-Cocky (formally of the Parish) attention! :D
  • Options
    > With so many standing it does raise the question how do broadcasters put them all under scrutiny in a two hour programme.
    >
    > It also occured to me today that there will be wide number of offers on the table to win the prize and the viewers response to both the candidates and their ideas will be a wonderful opportunity for those planning the next manifesto to include eye catching and popular suggestions
    >
    > Additionally how on earth are the Lib Dems going to get coverage for their leadership race

Do they really need it Big_G? Whoever is the next LD will just pick up the successful Bollocks to Brexit slogan and carry on mopping up votes from Labour and Tory Remainers.
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > With so many standing it does raise the question how do broadcasters put them all under scrutiny in a two hour programme.
    > >
    > > It also occured to me today that there will be wide number of offers on the table to win the prize and the viewers response to both the candidates and their ideas will be a wonderful opportunity for those planning the next manifesto to include eye catching and popular suggestions
    > >
    > > Additionally how on earth are the Lib Dems going to get coverage for their leadership race
    >
    > Do they really need it Big_G? Whoever is the next LD will just pick up the successful Bollocks to Brexit slogan and carry on mopping up votes from Labour and Tory Remainers.

Maybe but they are going to be overshadowed
  • Options
    > @viewcode said:
    > Interesting that senior cabinet ministers with reasonable numbers of endorsements - Hunt, Javid and Hancock - are not rated at all in the betting market. That makes this leadership election really unusual. Perhaps that's a reason for the favourite to win this time?
    >
    > The odds on Lib Coalition winning the Australian Federal Election at the moment the polls closed was 10% according to Australian Betfair. They won.
    >
    > I think it's time we took this "betting odds are predictive" malarky out behind the shed and shoot it. How many elections since 2010 has it gotten wrong?

It would be inneressing to know which performs worse, bets or polls. I would have thought the shrewdie punters on here were more worth listening to than the betting lumpenproletariat whose bets determine what the odds are.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Mother Leadsom seems to have drifted from this morning !

Wait till she points out that none of the other candidates are mothers, though!
  • Options
    > > @Benpointer said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > With so many standing it does raise the question how do broadcasters put them all under scrutiny in a two hour programme.
    > > >
    > > > It also occured to me today that there will be wide number of offers on the table to win the prize and the viewers response to both the candidates and their ideas will be a wonderful opportunity for those planning the next manifesto to include eye catching and popular suggestions
    > > >
    > > > Additionally how on earth are the Lib Dems going to get coverage for their leadership race
    > >
    > > Do they really need it Big_G? Whoever is the next LD will just pick up the successful Bollocks to Brexit slogan and carry on mopping up votes from Labour and Tory Remainers.
    >
    > Maybe but they are going to be overshadowed

I think the LDs are rather used to that :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

> @Pulpstar said:

> Mother Leadsom seems to have drifted from this morning !

Wait till she points out that none of the other candidates are mothers, though!

Unless Priti Patel enters the race.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......

Did someone program that into Google?
  • Options
    > > @Chris said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > @Chris said:
    > > > > Is there not some provision of the Mental Health Act they could make use of to reduce the number of candidates?
    > > >
    > > > Not sure joking about mental health is the best idea
    > >
    > > Who's joking? I really think some of these people are making a case for politicians undergoing a psychiatric examination before being allowed to take office.
    >
    > Just plain silly and no respect for those with mental health issues

I told you before I wasn't joking. Some of these people are seriously delusional and are advocating a course of action that would put large numbers of vulnerable people at risk.

If they were in any other walk of life a way would be found of restraining them from doing so. Maybe through Health and Safety legislation, rather than Mental Health, I don't know.
  • Options
    > @viewcode said:
    > Interesting that senior cabinet ministers with reasonable numbers of endorsements - Hunt, Javid and Hancock - are not rated at all in the betting market. That makes this leadership election really unusual. Perhaps that's a reason for the favourite to win this time?
    >
    > The odds on Lib Coalition winning the Australian Federal Election at the moment the polls closed was 10% according to Australian Betfair. They won.
    >
    > I think it's time we took this "betting odds are predictive" malarky out behind the shed and shoot it. How many elections since 2010 has it gotten wrong?

And how many has it got right?

A 10% chance should come in 10% of the time, not never.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @Byronic said:
    >
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    > > > Gove is OK as an ideas man but he should be kept in a back room in Downing St so the public hardly ever set eyes on him...
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Too repulsive to be PM.<
    >
    > >
    >
    > > +++++
    >
    > >
    >
    > > "Repulsive"?!?!
    >
    > >
    >
    > > He's not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, but then Leonardo DiCaprio is not a young Leonardo DiCaprio, not any more.< />
    > >
    >
    > > Gove has a slightly goofy face, but by the (very low) standards of parliamentary pulchritude, he is OK. Modestly presentable.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Or do you mean his views are repulsive? But then again I struggle to agree. He's quite moderate in most things. And has some sensible ideas.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Rory Stewart is the one who does look quite eerie and ghoulish sometimes. (Tho according to Twitter he is fancied by a certain kind of woman)
    >
    >
    >
    > Gove was the one who said that after Brexit we would hold all the cards and choose our own course (or equally dim words to that effect). Either he was dissembling, in which case he is monumentally untrustworthy, or he really believed it, in which case he is monumentally stupid.
    >
    > But he knows now he was wrong so he’s not as stupid as others in the race and brace enough to change position even though it is embarrassing.

The fact that he apparently believed it in the first place surely places a very large question mark on his judgement. (And I think he did believe it - there is something unworldy about him, he seems unable to put himself in the position of those on the other side of the negotiating table, this came out also in his dealings with the teachers, he could not understand why they all hated him). I can't see him getting a good deal for the UK in any post-Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

> @MarqueeMark said:

> Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......

Did someone program that into Google?

It's unfair, anyway. For all I have no particular regard for Diane Abbott, while Burgon, Pidcock, Williamson, Long Bailey and Lavery breathe air she is not the stupidest Labour MP.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......
    >
    > Did someone program that into Google?

I did wonder. Nothing similar for a Conservative/Tory MP.

Anyway, clearly wrong while ever Richard Burgon is still an MP....!
  • Options
    edited May 2019

The fact that he apparently believed it in the first place surely places a very large question mark on his judgement. (And I think he did believe it - there is something unworldy about him, he seems unable to put himself in the position of those on the other side of the negotiating table, this came out also in his dealings with the teachers, he could not understand why they all hated him). I can't see him getting a good deal for the UK in any post-Brexit negotiations.

It would be very out of character for Gove to change his mind merely because he was wrong or because he had listened to real experts. That was the core of the problem with his education reforms. They could have been great successes, but his failure to make crucial modifications in light of reality (which he was repeatedly warned about) mean they have been total fiascoes.
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @MarqueeMark said:
    >
    > > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's unfair, anyway. For all I have no particular regard for Diane Abbott, while Burgon, Pidcock, Williamson, Long Bailey and Lavery breathe air she is not the stupidest Labour MP.

Dawn Butler !!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @ydoethur said:

> > @MarqueeMark said:

>

>

>

>

>

> It's unfair, anyway. For all I have no particular regard for Diane Abbott, while Burgon, Pidcock, Williamson, Long Bailey and Lavery breathe air she is not the stupidest Labour MP.

Dawn Butler !!!!

Or indeed Corbyn himself. Abbott has a degree from Cambridge and Corb failed a course at Norh London Polytechnic.

Edit - or Kate Osamor?
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @MarqueeMark said:

Algorithms reflect the prejudices of the societies that create them. Abbott is not my cup of tea, but the amount of abuse she gets is absurd, and the extent and frequency is related to her gender and ethnicity.

And yes, once again, it's not racist or sexist to criticise her. Before I get a tonne of "well actually"s.
  • Options
    > @Byronic said:
    > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......<
    >
    >
    > +++++
    >
    > And so it does. Hah. A Blairite having a bit of fun at Google Towers?

No, algorithms based on the associations "out there" on the internet and in the aggregated search histories of the world.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Shades of "stabbed his brother in the back" there if he doesn't.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

> @viewcode said:

>

>

It would be inneressing to know which performs worse, bets or polls. I would have thought the shrewdie punters on here were more worth listening to than the betting lumpenproletariat whose bets determine what the odds are.

* Bets follow polls (there are academic papers that say otherwise, but naah )
    * The advantages of the betting markets is that they smooth out the poll variation, so overall the success rate of betting markets are higher than polls, but I have caveats: for example bets are probabilistic predictions, polls are deterministic (assuming you ignore margin of error), so comparing them is an arse.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @Byronic said:
    > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......<
    > >
    > >
    > > +++++
    > >
    > > And so it does. Hah. A Blairite having a bit of fun at Google Towers?
    >
    > No, algorithms based on the associations "out there" on the internet and in the aggregated search histories of the world.

I just searched for "most evil Tory MP". The first MP named in the Google result was Daniel Kawczynski. Very disturbingly, one of the top results on Duck Duck Go was "List of British Jewish politicians - Wikipedia"
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @AndyJS said:
    >

Surely Nick Boles no longer has a vote!
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > > @MarqueeMark said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Apropos of nothing very much, if you Google "most stupid Labour MP", it takes you to the Wiki entry for Diane Abbot......
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Did someone program that into Google?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It's unfair, anyway. For all I have no particular regard for Diane Abbott, while Burgon, Pidcock, Williamson, Long Bailey and Lavery breathe air she is not the stupidest Labour MP.
    >
    >
    >
    > Dawn Butler !!!!
    >
    > Or indeed Corbyn himself. Abbott has a degree from Cambridge and Corb failed a course at Norh London Polytechnic.
    >
    > Edit - or Kate Osamor?

I've met quite a few stupid people with Oxbridge degrees, although unlike Abbot most of them got to Oxbridge via their parents' wealth and an expensive public school.
  • Options

> @viewcode said:

>

>

And how many has it got right?

A 10% chance should come in 10% of the time, not never.

A useful reminder, thank you. According to the paper I am currently reading that process is called "calibration", although I am not sure that's universal, as bookies, modellers and statisticians use different terminology.

• Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > Latest endorsements from Tory MPs:
    > >
    > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    >
    > Surely Nick Boles no longer has a vote!

Not sure on that
  • Options
    I wonder how those three idiots who joined CUK are feeling at the moment with no say in who becomes PM and no chance of influencing which are the final two candidates.
  • Options
    > @MaxPB said:
    > I wonder how those three idiots who joined CUK are feeling at the moment with no say in who becomes PM and no chance of influencing which are the final two candidates.
    ------

Careful... It only takes another three idiots to prevent the person chosen by the Conservative party becoming PM.
  • Options
    > @MaxPB said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Shades of "stabbed his brother in the back" there if he doesn't.

Surely Jo would have to stand against Boris (and win) to qualify for a full Miliband?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Pardon my ignorance, but why can’t the killer be named? Under 18 yes, but weren’t the boys who killed little James Bulger?

https://twitter.com/romfordrecorder/status/1133774820104134658?s=21
  • Options
    Why becoming a hard Brexit party will lead to a Tory wipeout, in one table.

https://twitter.com/PJHeneghan/status/1133732092066639873
  • Options

I've met quite a few stupid people with Oxbridge degrees, although unlike Abbot most of them got to Oxbridge via their parents' wealth and an expensive public school.

That is a fair point.

But much though I dislike her, before her recent illness I have never heard suggestions Abbott was stupid.

Racist, hypocritical, a bully, physically unpreposssing - yes.

Stupid - no.

Cambridge - I'm not going to be so dogmatic for Oxford - take them if they're very bright, or absolutely filthy rich. She wasn't the second.
  • Options

> @MaxPB said:

>

>

>

>

> Shades of "stabbed his brother in the back" there if he doesn't.

Surely Jo would have to stand against Boris (and win) to qualify for a full Miliband?

Yes which is why I said shades of, at least if he came out against Boris. This way of Bozza doesn't win then it leaves his conscience clear to run himself.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > Why becoming a hard Brexit party will lead to a Tory wipeout, in one table.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/PJHeneghan/status/1133732092066639873

I assume this was for the EU elections which cannot be used to assume would be replicated in a much bigger turnout in electing a UK government in a GE
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    >

I think the table needs to be read with caution...

Take the 2nd entry: Mid Devon. Is a 24% increase in Remain parties vote bigger than the 13% increase in BP/UKIP?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Lucy Allan MP is giving the impression she's a potential Sajid Javid supporter if you look at her twitter page, although she hasn't said so directly thus far.

https://twitter.com/lucyallan
  • Options
    @Benpointer

And that doesn't alter the second point. Corbyn somehow failed a course at the old North London Poly because he wasn't up to it (he later claimed he was expelled for his radical politics but I don't think anyone believes that.)

That's extraordinary. It's the equivalent of being asked to leave The Brexit Party because you hate the EU too much.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Anecdotal.

In my world the only Tory in my world people are talking about is Rory. “He’s too nice/good/bright to be Tory leader” they say.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    >

Except there was differential turnout.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > Pardon my ignorance, but why can’t the killer be named? Under 18 yes, but weren’t the boys who killed little James Bulger?
    >
    > https://twitter.com/romfordrecorder/status/1133774820104134658

The judge made an exception in the Bulger case, a decision which annoyed a lot of people in the legal profession from what I've read.
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > I've met quite a few stupid people with Oxbridge degrees, although unlike Abbot most of them got to Oxbridge via their parents' wealth and an expensive public school.
    >
    > That is a fair point.
    >
    > But much though I dislike her, before her recent illness I have never heard suggestions Abbott was stupid.
    >
    > Racist, hypocritical, a bully, physically unpreposssing - yes.
    >
    > Stupid - no.
    >
    > Cambridge - I'm not going to be so dogmatic for Oxford - take them if they're very bright, or absolutely filthy rich. She wasn't the second.

Physically unprepossessing? Wtf has that to do with anything?

I'd have expected better from you @ydoethur
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > Take the 2nd entry: Mid Devon. Is a 24% increase in Remain parties vote bigger than the 13% increase in BP/UKIP?

Yes it is.

Compare 2014:

https://www.middevon.gov.uk/media/114905/european-election-2014-declaration-of-results.pdf

With 2019:

https://www.middevon.gov.uk/your-council/voting-elections/2019-elections/european-parliamentary-elections/
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > Latest endorsements from Tory MPs:
    > >
    > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
    >
    > Surely Nick Boles no longer has a vote!

You've solved the mystery! I knew there was one name on there which shouldn't have been because there are 313 Tory MPs and this particular list had 314. Thanks.
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > I've met quite a few stupid people with Oxbridge degrees, although unlike Abbot most of them got to Oxbridge via their parents' wealth and an expensive public school.
    >
    > That is a fair point.
    >
    > But much though I dislike her, before her recent illness I have never heard suggestions Abbott was stupid.
    >
    > Racist, hypocritical, a bully, physically unpreposssing - yes.
    >
    > Stupid - no.
    >
    > Cambridge - I'm not going to be so dogmatic for Oxford - take them if they're very bright, or absolutely filthy rich. She wasn't the second.

"The earliest blacks in Britain were probably black Roman centurions that came over hundreds of years before Christ." is pretty special coming from an historian, even if not an ancient historian, and even from Cambridge.
This discussion has been closed.