Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Paging all Brexiteers who hate American Presidents interfering

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Paging all Brexiteers who hate American Presidents interfering in UK politics

World exclusive: Trump backs Boris to be Britain’s next PM with highly controversial intervention into Tory contest. "I know the different players. But I think Boris would do a very good job. He would be excellent”.https://t.co/Qt0zjwwePJ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    I don't think it will, but who the hell knows anymore???
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    2nd, like Spurs
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Doesn’t seem to have helped much in the past
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    MPs are not, by and large, naiive folk, and a deep vein of cynicysm runs through them, which is not all that unreasonable, so I doubt all that many are being converted to the Stewart cause through this little social media jaunt that he has been on. But while it is easy to scoff at it for being a bit cheesy, it is at least providing some lightness in, politically, a bitter, bitter time. Usually people say 'I believe in bringing peopel together' and then spout bitterness and hatred in the next breath. So at least he's saying those off camera I guess!

On the other hand, isn't this guy in the Cabinet now? I know there is very little for them to do right now, but doesn't he have a department to run?

> @nico67 said:

> > @kle4 said:

> > Exhibit A: Lisa Nandy

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Pardon me if we can ignore her posturing bullcrap. She cares so much, up to the point of actually doing something.

>

> Lisa Nandy is turning into a martyr . She’s seriously getting on my nerves now . All we hear is the same whining from her.

Quite. She just witters on about how Labour needs to keep leavers on board without making a single positive suggestion about how it might do so.
    Indeed. Like May eventually running down the sympathy she might deserve through her own actions, Nandy has lost the right to expect to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer at the GP conference, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

> @kle4 said:

> > @Scott_P said:

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Not sure being endorsed by Trump is a good thing !

>

> That depends on the audience. I wouldn't think Trump personally is hugely popular even among the Tory membership who will decide if Boris becomes PM, but the thing is Boris is already popular with that group and when considering 'Who would be able to do a good deal with the USA?' the praise of Trump might seem good, regardless of it not being as simple as Trump being amendable, particularly around the issue of the backstop and Irish americans.

You'd have to be unbelievably naive to think that any deal the US would do with Britain would be anything other than wholly in the US's favour, no matter how far up Trump's arse Boris's tongue reaches.......
    We are talking about members of a political party. The snob in me would suggest such people are, not exclusively as the fine members of parties on here show, but generally more likely to believe that their favoured candidate can deliver anything, no matter the obstacles.
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @isam said:
    > Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?

It's their conference, not Brewer's. Jeez.
  • Options

> The man is fascinating and horrible. I try to accept there are people who think he can give them what they want, and for all I know he might be able to in the USA in some ways. But as fascinating as his ego is, does anyone actually like that this man thinks everyone is begging him for his favour, that whatever he says is right and that his praise would swing any issue, anywhere?" I find his personality so odious I struggle to know how to judge his actual actions objectively.

You are talking about Boris, right?

No comment ;)
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Trump's endorsement is terrible for the wider public but I doubt it will make much difference for the MPs part of the selection process. Assuming they ballot the members there is plenty of time for people to forget. I say this as someone who does not have much time for Trump or Boris.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?
    >
    > It's their conference, not Brewer's. Jeez.

Indeed it is, and we don't want the poor mites being offended by hearing something they might not agree with, do we?
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @isam said:

> Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?

It's their conference, not Brewer's. Jeez.

Jeez man! 😝

Presumably someone in charge invited JHB in the first place. I don’t think the question has been answered as to why those who are offended by her just don’t attend
  • Options
    What bet that sometime after Trump's visit he tells everyone the Her Majesty told him he was the best US President she has ever met? Maybe he'll wait to tell that story when responding to her passing in years to come.
  • Options
    Telegraph: Sajid Javid reveals he is prepared to take Britain out of EU without a deal

Here we go again...
  • Options

Telegraph: Sajid Javid reveals he is prepared to take Britain out of EU without a deal

Here we go again...

Anyone get the impression Hunt and Javid are just like May and Boris before the referendum, in that they choose their positions purely on what they think their rival will do, not on what they themselves might think?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    I never want to hear of Boris or Trump ever again.
  • Options
    > @steve_garner said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @isam said:
    > > > Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?
    > >
    > > It's their conference, not Brewer's. Jeez.
    >
    > Indeed it is, and we don't want the poor mites being offended by hearing something they might not agree with, do we?

That's their business. Why do you even care?
    If I held a housewarming party and my partner invited Brewer, I'd uninvite her. Nobody's rights are being trampled. The guests who'd quite like to listen to her stories can find another way. It's not my obligation to host her even if someone else thought it was a great idea.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Cyclefree said:

I never want to hear of Boris or Trump ever again.

Boris will probably only be PM for long enough for the government to collapse over no deal, then however long it takes for the election to take place, so then you only have to worry about Corbyn being PM.

(Unlikely on the polls, someone will say, and sure, but someone is going to end up cobbling together majority support in the House, and the choices there are pretty grim)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer at the GP conference, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?

Because others might hear, mark, listen and inwardly digest
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @isam said:
    >
    > > Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Jeez man! 😝
    >
    > Presumably someone in charge invited JHB in the first place. I don’t think the question has been answered as to why those who are offended by her just don’t attend

Perhaps because those organising the conference would rather have the attendees rather than the speaker. But whatever. It's their choice, not yours.
    If you don't like their decision, why not just not think about it?
  • Options
    When will they learn to stop using 'Iron' comparisons? Didn't work out well for May.

As for his plan - he will say no to referendum, election and revoking A50, but the middle those he cannot necessarily prevent if he cannot maintain a majority of support. And given he is saying no to the other two and won't be able to get a new deal, he is in fact choosing a new election while backing no deal.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > The Iron Saj? Really?
    >
    > https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1134566048437587968?s=21

But iron is magnetic
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @williamglenn said:

> The Iron Saj? Really?

>

>

But iron is magnetic
    It also corrodes easily, becoming weak and brittle.
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @isam said:

> > @isam said:

>

>

>

>

>

> Jeez man! 😝

>

> Presumably someone in charge invited JHB in the first place. I don’t think the question has been answered as to why those who are offended by her just don’t attend

Perhaps because those organising the conference would rather have the attendees rather than the speaker. But whatever. It's their choice, not yours.

If you don't like their decision, why not just not think about it?

What an odd comment on a discussion board like this.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Tories just make me sad now, look at how they have to refer to The Saj's pitch as a 'Thatcher war cry' to get pumped up about it, they are obsessed. Why not just put on one of her old dresses and claim it gives you super conservative powers?

I'm not saying don't look up to a previous, very successful leader, but the way every little detail must be referred back to her is just lame.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > The Iron Saj? Really?
    >
    > https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1134566048437587968?s=21

Not sure how he intends to 'build trust with Dublin' based on that spread.

Tory leadership is now a race to the bottom of the 'No deal' barrel to see what scrapings can be found.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Telegraph: Sajid Javid reveals he is prepared to take Britain out of EU without a deal
    >
    > Here we go again...

This is where Rory's video explaining why No Deal is a bad idea comes in.

Britain is going to end up crashing out of the EU because dimwit politicians feel the need to pander to c. 150,000 mostly male white pensioners mostly located in the SE of England and because they don't have the gumption to understand what No Deal actually means or the intelligence to explain it.

Or the courage to think seriously about what is in the country's interests, even if that involves speaking some hard truths to power, in this case, the voters.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > I never want to hear of Boris or Trump ever again.
    >
    >

Don't worry; I'm sure they've never heard of you.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @steve_garner said:
    > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > @isam said:
    > > > > Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?
    > > >
    > > > It's their conference, not Brewer's. Jeez.
    > >
    > > Indeed it is, and we don't want the poor mites being offended by hearing something they might not agree with, do we?
    >
    > That's their business. Why do you even care?
    > If I held a housewarming party and my partner invited Brewer, I'd uninvite her. Nobody's rights are being trampled. The guests who'd quite like to listen to her stories can find another way. It's not my obligation to host her even if someone else thought it was a great idea.

That's slightly missing the point. The Royal College invited her and can, of course, disinvite her. But the time to think about whether she would make a suitable speaker is surely before the invite goes out. Withdrawing it just because some potential attendees don't want to listen is a bit pathetic. Attendees aren't locked in a room and forced to listen, after all.
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > The Iron Saj? Really?
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1134566048437587968
    >
    >
    >
    > When will they learn to stop using 'Iron' comparisons? Didn't work out well for May.
    >
    > As for his plan - he will say no to referendum, election and revoking A50, but the middle those he cannot necessarily prevent if he cannot maintain a majority of support. And given he is saying no to the other two and won't be able to get a new deal, he is in fact choosing a new election while backing no deal.

Oh FFS stop bring logic into this madness.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @isam said:
    > > @isam said:
    >
    > > > @isam said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Regarding Julia Hartley-Brewer, or any of the other non platformed speakers at Uni’s etc, why don’t the complainers just not attend?
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Jeez man! 😝
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Presumably someone in charge invited JHB in the first place. I don’t think the question has been answered as to why those who are offended by her just don’t attend
    >
    >
    >
    > Perhaps because those organising the conference would rather have the attendees rather than the speaker. But whatever. It's their choice, not yours.
    >
    > If you don't like their decision, why not just not think about it?
    >
    > What an odd comment on a discussion board like this.

If it sounds odd, good. It's a parody of your question.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sounds like something out of a WWE wrestling match - The iron Saj !
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ah009 said:

> @isam said:

> > @isam said:

>

> > > @isam said:

> > Jeez man! 😝

> > Presumably someone in charge invited JHB in the first place. I don’t think the question has been answered as to why those who are offended by her just don’t attend

> Perhaps because those organising the conference would rather have the attendees rather than the speaker. But whatever. It's their choice, not yours.

>

> If you don't like their decision, why not just not think about it?

>

> What an odd comment on a discussion board like this.

If it sounds odd, good. It's a parody of your question.

Jeez man I think you’ve got it wrong godammit
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Back of the queue for The Donald!!! :D
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Sounds like something out of a WWE wrestling match - The iron Saj !

Desperately embarrassing.

Another sad case of the Brexit virus eating the brain.

Glad I am only mildly green on this fellah.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Cyclefree said:
    >
    >

Sounds like you want to no platform them :-)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cameron hates Gove and supports Boris and/or Raab (and got the AI job through cronyism) according to the Telegraph's take on his memoirs.

Meanwhile cricket ace Matt Hancock is continuity May.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/31/david-cameron-uses-memoirs-settle-scores-backstabbing-michael/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2019
    A rather odd pitch by Javid. In some ways it's very good for the target market, and it at least acknowledges some of the difficulties and comes up with some novel ideas, notably buying off the Republic of Ireland with a bung to handle their side of the border infrastructure.

But it remains very confused. Is he unconditionally committing to an October 31st exit or not? This is a good test of the sanity/honesty of any candidate, because it's impossible to guarantee in any scenario that arrangements and legislation will be in place on time. Javid seems to accept this: "There is no getting around the fact that the timing for negotiations and then getting the legislation through will be challenging." Dead right. And if the negotiations go really well and the EU accepts that the backstop can be modified (fat chance, but bear with me..) , is he seriously saying that at the last minute he'd pull the plug and crash out in chaos at short notice because the timetable proved to be too 'challenging'?

Alternatively, he says he's prepared reluctantly to leave with No Deal. OK, but what about this bit: "It's simply not credible to promise you can deliver No Deal if parliament is dead set against it.". Dead right again. So is he promising that or not?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @Cyclefree said:
    >
    >

You'll probably have to switch off the news for at least the next 5 years.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > But the time to think about whether she would make a suitable speaker is surely before the invite goes out.

Sure. But if they believe they've made a mistake, and it's entirely up to them whom they have as a guest, why do any of us care that they change their mind.
    Indeed, I'd go as far as to say people should change their mind after new information more often. The saddest and most ridiculous moments in public life come when someone knows they've erred but the double down and plough on regardless. There are notable recent examples I could cite.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Cyclefree said:

> @rottenborough said:

> Telegraph: Sajid Javid reveals he is prepared to take Britain out of EU without a deal

>
    > Here we go again...

This is where Rory's video explaining why No Deal is a bad idea comes in.

Britain is going to end up crashing out of the EU because dimwit politicians feel the need to pander to c. 150,000 mostly male white pensioners mostly located in the SE of England and because they don't have the gumption to understand what No Deal actually means or the intelligence to explain it.

Or the courage to think seriously about what is in the country's interests, even if that involves speaking some hard truths to power, in this case, the voters.

Oi, that's enough about male white pensioners in the SE of England. Some of us have plenty of gumption!
  • Options
    It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

ah009 said:

> @williamglenn said:

> The Iron Saj? Really?

>

>

But iron is magnetic
    It also corrodes easily, becoming weak and brittle.
    Bends when under heat?
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > Tories just make me sad now, look at how they have to refer to The Saj's pitch as a 'Thatcher war cry' to get pumped up about it, they are obsessed. Why not just put on one of her old dresses and claim it gives you super conservative powers?
    >
    > I'm not saying don't look up to a previous, very successful leader, but the way every little detail must be referred back to her is just lame.

There's a word you're dancing around here, and I'll say it: cult
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @AndyJS said:
    > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.

Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782

Oi, that's enough about male white pensioners in the SE of England. Some of us have plenty of gumption!

You can get cream for that from the chemists.

• Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    >
    > Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.

As they say, it's a clash between an immoveable object and an unstoppable force. Not going to end well.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    I wonder if Boris is daft enough to think a Trump endorsement is a good thing.

Whatever one might think of foreign endorsements, surely getting the nod of approval from Trump cannot be considered a positive development given the way he is viewed in this country.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @AndyJS said:

> It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.

Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.

It’s the Trojan Horse scandal again. If you allow mass immigration on the scale the UK has, it’s entirely predictable. Foreigners aren’t desperate to ‘become British’, they don’t think we are better than them, it was arrogant of the establishment to think otherwise.
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    >
    > Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.

Absolutely right.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Terrific this for Bozza. Everyone talking about him, crowding out all the others. And he doesn't even have to open his mouth. Obvious danger of putting foot in it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'll remember to refer to you for the details if I'm ever asked about it.
  • Options

I wonder if Boris is daft enough to think a Trump endorsement is a good thing.

Whatever one might think of foreign endorsements, surely getting the nod of approval from Trump cannot be considered a positive development given the way he is viewed in this country.

In the Tory membership? At least insofar as it might make them believe a deal with the USA will be easier?
  • Options
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    > >
    > > Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.
    >
    > Absolutely right.

Yes, absolutely agree.

We cannot tolerate the intolerant.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > Telegraph: Sajid Javid reveals he is prepared to take Britain out of EU without a deal
    > >
    > > Here we go again...
    >
    > This is where Rory's video explaining why No Deal is a bad idea comes in.
    >
    > Britain is going to end up crashing out of the EU because dimwit politicians feel the need to pander to c. 150,000 mostly male white pensioners mostly located in the SE of England and because they don't have the gumption to understand what No Deal actually means or the intelligence to explain it.
    >
    > Or the courage to think seriously about what is in the country's interests, even if that involves speaking some hard truths to power, in this case, the voters.
    >
    >

The trouble about speaking hard truths to the voters is that ultimately they have the power to get rid of you - all the more so when they are not necessarily truths.
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    >

Well said. And I didn't have time to say well said for your, and others, excoriation of McVey's comments the other day. This is the law of the land. There is absolutely no clash of values here.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    > >
    > > Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.
    >
    > As they say, it's a clash between an immoveable object and an unstoppable force. Not going to end well.

It will end with some of the children being withdrawn and home-'educated'/indoctrinated - which is not an ideal solution. But the schools have to be protected and the law must be upheld.

It is clear that these protests are being manipulated by those with a very specific agenda - and that agenda must be defeated.
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    >

It's not just Islam that has a problem here. It's also "mainstream" conservatism. The current and previous PMs voted against the repeal of Section 28.
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > I wonder if Boris is daft enough to think a Trump endorsement is a good thing.
    >
    >
    >
    > Whatever one might think of foreign endorsements, surely getting the nod of approval from Trump cannot be considered a positive development given the way he is viewed in this country.
    >
    > In the Tory membership? At least insofar as it might make them believe a deal with the USA will be easier?

Even in the Tory membership. I am not a Tory (to use the old much missed phrase) but almost all of those I do know regard Trump in exactly the same way that most non-Tories do. He is a kind of uniting figure across the political spectrum - well almost.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It’s the Trojan Horse scandal again. If you allow mass immigration on the scale the UK has, it’s entirely predictable. Foreigners aren’t desperate to ‘become British’, they don’t think we are better than them, it was arrogant of the establishment to think otherwise.

This is grossly offensive. Homophobia has deep roots in British culture.
    You are a racist.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Cyclefree said:

That's slightly missing the point. The Royal College invited her and can, of course, disinvite her. But the time to think about whether she would make a suitable speaker is surely before the invite goes out. Withdrawing it just because some potential attendees don't want to listen is a bit pathetic. Attendees aren't locked in a room and forced to listen, after all.

The attendees are paying money to attend.[1] Conferences are there to disseminate information and make contacts[2]. I take your point about it being rude to uninvite her but she is not a medic and is effectively entertainment. If they had booked a singer then disinvited them I assume Dan Hodges and the other commentariat would not be getting so aereated.

[1] I'm booking a place at the upcoming RSS Conference. With accom, flight and booking fees it's going to be well over a grand
    [2] And pub quizzes and getting pissed, obvs. A bunch of us had a really great curry in Manchester once. One of the guys was a PhD and Professor from Harvard. He didn't know what a chicken kurma was.... :)
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @isam said:

> > @AndyJS said:

>

>

>

>

>

> It’s the Trojan Horse scandal again. If you allow mass immigration on the scale the UK has, it’s entirely predictable. Foreigners aren’t desperate to ‘become British’, they don’t think we are better than them, it was arrogant of the establishment to think otherwise.

This is grossly offensive. Homophobia has deep roots in British culture.

You are a racist.

Just ignore if you don’t like it 😘
  • Options

viewcode said:

I'll remember to refer to you for the details if I'm ever asked about it.
    Oh, be careful what you ask for. I have photographs... :)
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > >
    >
    > It's not just Islam that has a problem here. It's also "mainstream" conservatism. The current and previous PMs voted against the repeal of Section 28.

That isn't strictly true - both May and Corbyn were absent when the vote to repeal Section 28 was held. So they didn't vote for it - but they didn't vote against it
  • Options

> @kle4 said:

> I wonder if Boris is daft enough to think a Trump endorsement is a good thing.

>

>

>

> Whatever one might think of foreign endorsements, surely getting the nod of approval from Trump cannot be considered a positive development given the way he is viewed in this country.

>

> In the Tory membership? At least insofar as it might make them believe a deal with the USA will be easier?

Even in the Tory membership. I am not a Tory (to use the old much missed phrase) but almost all of those I do know regard Trump in exactly the same way that most non-Tories do. He is a kind of uniting figure across the political spectrum - well almost.

But that was why I added the second part. The Tory membership may not on the whole like Trump much - although Boris clearly does so I presume some of his supporters do - but the membership is also gung-ho for no deal and probably willing to believe that if Boris and Trump are besties then a no deal Brexit can become more of a success as a result.
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    > > >
    > > > Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.
    > >
    > > It's not just Islam that has a problem here. It's also "mainstream" conservatism. The current and previous PMs voted against the repeal of Section 28.
    >
    > That isn't strictly true - both May and Corbyn were absent when the vote to repeal Section 28 was held. So they didn't vote for it - but they didn't vote against it

Perhaps there were several votes? Else either you or this article is mistaken
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8696102.stm
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Terrific this for Bozza. Everyone talking about him, crowding out all the others. And he doesn't even have to open his mouth. Obvious danger of putting foot in it.

He was quiet for the last week or so. But with the court business and now this, it is all on him. Granted it is in the realm of MPs at the moment, but lack of cut through for anyone other than Boris and, to a smaller degree, Rory (who has no chance) is good for Boris.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @kle4 said:
    > Terrific this for Bozza. Everyone talking about him, crowding out all the others. And he doesn't even have to open his mouth. Obvious danger of putting foot in it.
    >
    > He was quiet for the last week or so. But with the court business and now this, it is all on him. Granted it is in the realm of MPs at the moment, but lack of cut through for anyone other than Boris and, to a smaller degree, Rory (who has no chance) is good for Boris.

As is the large field. If it were just 4 or 5 others, questions may be being asked about his silence. As it is, no Boris? Ah, well there are plenty of others to invite on the media to make tits of themselves.
  • Options
    Floater said:

> @Cyclefree said:

>

>

Sounds like you want to no platform them :-)

Roosevelt - Churchill

Reagan - Thatcher

Bush - Blair

Trump - Boris. Can it get any worse? Trump is what Boris would look like if you put him in a microwave for a bit.

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    > @isam said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

We are bigots for daring to suggest that the importation of bigots might not be a good thing.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    > @isam said:
    > Family Fortunes wrong answer noise
    >
    > https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1134469589201408001

Playing an intricate part in someone's suicide must surely be the "naughtiest" thing Bad Al has ever done? :(
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @oxfordsimon said:

> > @AndyJS said:

>

It's not just Islam that has a problem here. It's also "mainstream" conservatism. The current and previous PMs voted against the repeal of Section 28.

It is not mainstream conservatives taking their children out of school or protesting against having gay teachers in school.

@oxfordsimon is right. This is a battle that must be fought and won. But the politicians who should be defending the schools and facing down the bullies are silent and cowardly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

He was quiet for the last week or so. But with the court business and now this, it is all on him. Granted it is in the realm of MPs at the moment, but lack of cut through for anyone other than Boris and, to a smaller degree, Rory (who has no chance) is good for Boris.
    He's written another Telegraph piece, I'm not paying to read his guff but the gist of it is everything going wrong with Brexit is everybody else's fault.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    > > > >
    > > > > Equality and educational integrity MUST win. We cannot give way to any religion in this dispute.
    > > >
    > > > It's not just Islam that has a problem here. It's also "mainstream" conservatism. The current and previous PMs voted against the repeal of Section 28.
    > >
    > > That isn't strictly true - both May and Corbyn were absent when the vote to repeal Section 28 was held. So they didn't vote for it - but they didn't vote against it
    >
    > Perhaps there were several votes? Else either you or this article is mistaken
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8696102.stm

My info was from here - https://inews.co.uk/news/corbyn-may-farron-voted-key-lgbt-issues/

So we are both right - May voted against in 2000 (when the attempted repeal failed - even with Labour's massive majority at the time) and was absent when it came back in 2003
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    isam said:

They should invite Mike Graham who does the 10am slot on talkRADIO after JHB to speak instead. The doctors concerned would start hyperventilating within about 30 seconds.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    kyf_100 said:

> @isam said:

> > @AndyJS said:

>

>

>

>

>

We are bigots for daring to suggest that the importation of bigots might not be a good thing.

This whole row exposes the truth about ‘diversity’. Those who claim to want it actually just want people of different skin colours, or foreign sounding names, to all agree with western values
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    O/T

As a result of the useful suggestion earlier today, I've updated the leadership spreadsheet with "both" and "either" totals, where those terms refer to the Wikipedia and Guido lists. (At the bottom of the page).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1feCjt98HJcY9tlc5Zx78ZoSOC2fN-j0vRVFD5eUTbUE/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

> @isam said:

> Family Fortunes wrong answer noise

>

>

Playing an intricate part in someone's suicide must surely be the "naughtiest" thing Bad Al has ever done? :(
    I would have thought someone with his mental health problems would be less provocative & more self aware.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    >
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's not just Islam that has a problem here. It's also "mainstream" conservatism. The current and previous PMs voted against the repeal of Section 28.
    >
    > It is not mainstream conservatives taking their children out of school or protesting against having gay teachers in school.
    >
    > @oxfordsimon is right. This is a battle that must be fought and won. But the politicians who should be defending the schools and facing down the bullies are silent and cowardly.

Birmingham City Council and Jess Phillips are not. Government however...
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Terrific this for Bozza. Everyone talking about him, crowding out all the others. And he doesn't even have to open his mouth. Obvious danger of putting foot in it.
    >
    > He was quiet for the last week or so. But with the court business and now this, it is all on him. Granted it is in the realm of MPs at the moment, but lack of cut through for anyone other than Boris and, to a smaller degree, Rory (who has no chance) is good for Boris.
    >
    > He's written another Telegraph piece, I'm not paying to read his guff but the gist of it is everything going wrong with Brexit is everybody else's fault.

Perfect for him. No pesky follow up questions. Or indeed any questions. Just as he likes it.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    >
    > > I never want to hear of Boris or Trump ever again.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sounds like you want to no platform them :-)
    >
    > Roosevelt - Churchill
    >
    > Reagan - Thatcher
    >
    > Bush - Blair
    >
    > Trump - Boris. Can it get any worse? Trump is what Boris would look like if you put him in a microwave for a bit.

I'm not sure I would compare Boris to Trump.

He is a one off.
  • Options
    isam said:

kyf_100 said:

> @isam said:

> > @AndyJS said:

>

>

>

>

>

This whole row exposes the truth about ‘diversity’. Those who claim to want it actually just want people of different skin colours, or foreign sounding names, to all agree with western values
    When in Rome etc..... If you are born here then yes you should bloody well be Western and have Western values. And if you make the choice to come here then again, yes, you should bloody well adapt. If you want to live in an Islamic country well there are plenty to choose from.

But don’t come here, become a citizen or resident, have children here and then demand that you should be able to opt out of the bits you don’t like..
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    It’s the Trojan Horse scandal again. If you allow mass immigration on the scale the UK has, it’s entirely predictable. Foreigners aren’t desperate to ‘become British’, they don’t think we are better than them, it was arrogant of the establishment to think otherwise.
    > We are bigots for daring to suggest that the importation of bigots might not be a good thing.
    > This whole row exposes the truth about ‘diversity’. Those who claim to want it actually just want people of different skin colours, or foreign sounding names, to all agree with western values

This isn't about agreeing with 'western values', it is about abiding by the law of the land. You can have whatever values you like - but they do not and should not trump the law of the land.

If you want to campaign to change that law - fine, go ahead. But disrupting the education of children, threatening violence against teachers and utterly misrepresenting what this scheme of work is designed to do puts you completely on the wrong side of the argument.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > >
    >

Wow, just wow.
  • Options
    Floater said:

> @Cyclefree said:

> > @Cyclefree said:

>

> > I never want to hear of Boris or Trump ever again.

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

>

> Sounds like you want to no platform them :-)

>

> Roosevelt - Churchill

>

> Reagan - Thatcher

>

> Bush - Blair

>

> Trump - Boris. Can it get any worse? Trump is what Boris would look like if you put him in a microwave for a bit.

I'm not sure I would compare Boris to Trump.

He is a one off.

Both lying chancers.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    >
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is not mainstream conservatives taking their children out of school or protesting against having gay teachers in school.
    >
    > @oxfordsimon is right. This is a battle that must be fought and won. But the politicians who should be defending the schools and facing down the bullies are silent and cowardly.

I wholeheartedly agree that the government should be facing it down. I don't think it's just cowardice, though. The last two PMs have been openly homophobic within their political careers. The silence can just as easily be attributed to tacit agreement.

Also, we have bigots right here and how many are calling it out? Few. Same reasons? Fuck knows. But I've had it all my life, so no surprises.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > I wholeheartedly agree that the government should be facing it down. I don't think it's just cowardice, though. The last two PMs have been openly homophobic within their political careers. The silence can just as easily be attributed to tacit agreement.
    > Also, we have bigots right here and how many are calling it out? Few. Same reasons? Fuck knows. But I've had it all my life, so no surprises.

There is no denying that May voted against pro-LGBT+ legislation earlier in her career - but she has evolved in her views over the years and is now far more of an ally than she was before.

It is right to acknowledge when people do move away from previously objectionable views towards more inclusive opinions. We are all capable of change.
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > > @isam said:
    > > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > > It's fascinating to watch this clash between Islamic values and Birmingham City Council. Newsnight led on it.
    > > We are bigots for daring to suggest that the importation of bigots might not be a good thing.
    > > This whole row exposes the truth about ‘diversity’. Those who claim to want it actually just want people of different skin colours, or foreign sounding names, to all agree with western values
    >
    > This isn't about agreeing with 'western values', it is about abiding by the law of the land. You can have whatever values you like - but they do not and should not trump the law of the land.
    >
    > If you want to campaign to change that law - fine, go ahead. But disrupting the education of children, threatening violence against teachers and utterly misrepresenting what this scheme of work is designed to do puts you completely on the wrong side of the argument.

Also important to point out. We have a widespread network of private schools. Many of them religious in nature. We are also very amenable to home schooling, certainly in comparison to many of our near neighbours.
    No one is forcing these parents to send their children to these schools. Quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @Cyclefree said:

> > @oxfordsimon said:

>

> > > @AndyJS said:

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

I wholeheartedly agree that the government should be facing it down. I don't think it's just cowardice, though. The last two PMs have been openly homophobic within their political careers. The silence can just as easily be attributed to tacit agreement.

Also, we have bigots right here and how many are calling it out? Few. Same reasons? Fuck knows. But I've had it all my life, so no surprises.

You may well be right that there is tacit agreement. There is open agreement by some eg that ghastly McVey woman.

But I do think there is a large element of cowardice. A fear of being called racist or islamophobic and a fear that the protestors might use violence. After all we’ve had violence threatened and used against those who write or draw something that Muslims don’t like. And when that happened people bent over backwards to criticise the authors and the cartoonists for being offensive etc after a few ritual condemnations of the violence.

It shows that for all the talk people don’t really care enough about equality for gay people or free speech. And that gets me really mad. This stuff matters.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Remainers love US Presidents getting involved in UK politics, right????
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > I wholeheartedly agree that the government should be facing it down. I don't think it's just cowardice, though. The last two PMs have been openly homophobic within their political careers. The silence can just as easily be attributed to tacit agreement.
    > > Also, we have bigots right here and how many are calling it out? Few. Same reasons? Fuck knows. But I've had it all my life, so no surprises.
    >
    > There is no denying that May voted against pro-LGBT+ legislation earlier in her career - but she has evolved in her views over the years and is now far more of an ally than she was before.
    >
    > It is right to acknowledge when people do move away from previously objectionable views towards more inclusive opinions. We are all capable of change.

I will accept that if you'd been talking about Cameron. He apologised and, to the best of my knowledge has not exhibited any homophobia in many years.
    Theresa May's office outed a gay man last year in revenge for blowing the whistle on illegalities in a political campaign. She kept him on. She's not learned a damn thing, and I say she is still a homophobe.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > You may well be right that there is tacit agreement. There is open agreement by some eg that ghastly McVey woman.
    > But I do think there is a large element of cowardice. A fear of being called racist or islamophobic and a fear that the protestors might use violence. After all we’ve had violence threatened and used against those who write or draw something that Muslims don’t like. And when that happened people bent over backwards to criticise the authors and the cartoonists for being offensive etc after a few ritual condemnations of the violence.
    > It shows that for all the talk people don’t really care enough about equality for gay people or free speech. And that gets me really mad. This stuff matters.

I have been very careful not to target my comments at any specific religion - as these protests have included representatives from Christianity, Judaism and Islam and very probably others. This isn't able a specific religion - it is about all religions who demonstrate an intolerance (or worse) towards someone like me because of my sexuality.

Their ignorance and bigotry has NO place in modern society. If they want to believe it in the privacy of their own brain, so be it - I can't force them to rethink. But I can campaign to make sure that their intolerance has no protection in law.

Personally, I would like a fully secular society - with no special protections or positions for any religion. Believe whatever you want to believe - but that is a private matter and not for the public sphere.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > I wholeheartedly agree that the government should be facing it down. I don't think it's just cowardice, though. The last two PMs have been openly homophobic within their political careers. The silence can just as easily be attributed to tacit agreement.
    > > > Also, we have bigots right here and how many are calling it out? Few. Same reasons? Fuck knows. But I've had it all my life, so no surprises.
    > >
    > > There is no denying that May voted against pro-LGBT+ legislation earlier in her career - but she has evolved in her views over the years and is now far more of an ally than she was before.
    > >
    > > It is right to acknowledge when people do move away from previously objectionable views towards more inclusive opinions. We are all capable of change.
    >
    > I will accept that if you'd been talking about Cameron. He apologised and, to the best of my knowledge has not exhibited any homophobia in many years.
    > Theresa May's office outed a gay man last year in revenge for blowing the whistle on illegalities in a political campaign. She kept him on. She's not learned a damn thing, and I say she is still a homophobe.

Fortunately she's done. The battle for what comes next is on right now.
  • Options

> @Cyclefree said:

> You may well be right that there is tacit agreement. There is open agreement by some eg that ghastly McVey woman.

> But I do think there is a large element of cowardice. A fear of being called racist or islamophobic and a fear that the protestors might use violence. After all we’ve had violence threatened and used against those who write or draw something that Muslims don’t like. And when that happened people bent over backwards to criticise the authors and the cartoonists for being offensive etc after a few ritual condemnations of the violence.

> It shows that for all the talk people don’t really care enough about equality for gay people or free speech. And that gets me really mad. This stuff matters.

I have been very careful not to target my comments at any specific religion - as these protests have included representatives from Christianity, Judaism and Islam and very probably others. This isn't able a specific religion - it is about all religions who demonstrate an intolerance (or worse) towards someone like me because of my sexuality.

Their ignorance and bigotry has NO place in modern society. If they want to believe it in the privacy of their own brain, so be it - I can't force them to rethink. But I can campaign to make sure that their intolerance has no protection in law.

Personally, I would like a fully secular society - with no special protections or positions for any religion. Believe whatever you want to believe - but that is a private matter and not for the public sphere.

I whole heartedly agree and have said as much in this thread header - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/03/21/rendering-unto-caesar/.

Of course there is an issue with the ultras in a range of religions. But there is only one which has both threatened and used violence to enforce its view of the world and any analysis of this needs to take account of that sad fact. Because it leads to violence against those it targets: gay people, women, apostates, anyone who criticises them.
  • Options
    ah009 said:

> @oxfordsimon said:

> > @ah009 said:

> > I wholeheartedly agree that the government should be facing it down. I don't think it's just cowardice, though. The last two PMs have been openly homophobic within their political careers. The silence can just as easily be attributed to tacit agreement.

> > Also, we have bigots right here and how many are calling it out? Few. Same reasons? Fuck knows. But I've had it all my life, so no surprises.

>

> There is no denying that May voted against pro-LGBT+ legislation earlier in her career - but she has evolved in her views over the years and is now far more of an ally than she was before.

>

> It is right to acknowledge when people do move away from previously objectionable views towards more inclusive opinions. We are all capable of change.

I will accept that if you'd been talking about Cameron. He apologised and, to the best of my knowledge has not exhibited any homophobia in many years.

Theresa May's office outed a gay man last year in revenge for blowing the whistle on illegalities in a political campaign. She kept him on. She's not learned a damn thing, and I say she is still a homophobe.

What is the case you mention?

I have little time for May. But she did push through gay marriage and I believe one of her junior Lib Dem Ministers praised her for her work on it. So perhaps a bit of a mixed bag in her approach. Still her silence on this - and, worse, the silence of the Education Secretary and the Equalities Minister - has been quite disgraceful.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Steve Baker is still considering a leadership bid:

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1134537560691290112
  • Options
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Fortunately she's done. The battle for what comes next is on right now.

She should never have been there in the first place.
    And the favourite for her successor is clearly a racist too. It's remarkable how tolerant the Conservative Party is of all this. They can't even be trusted to elect someone with even the most basic ethical standards, let alone defend teachers who are being attacked by bigots.
    And before we go on, yes I'm fully aware that the same can be said for Corbyn. And Farron. What a fucking mess.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > Of course there is an issue with the ultras in a range of religions. But there is only one which has both threatened and used violence to enforce its view of the world and any analysis of this needs to take account of that sad fact. Because it leads to violence against those it targets: gay people, women, apostates, anyone who criticises them.

I don't disagree at all - and just as with the issues with sexual exploitation of young people round the country by gangs, people have been lambasted for pointing out the correlation between membership of the gangs and the religious heritage of the participants. It isn't true to say that they all come from the same religious background - but it is absolutely true to say that the vast majority of them do.

Unless we can talk openly about these issues and the causes of the problems, we will continue to fail to tackle them properly.
This discussion has been closed.