Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday evening open thread

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday evening open thread

Video – The highlights of greatest comeback since Lazarus

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    COYS
  • Options
    My goodness, a first as well. Is it a sign?
  • Options
    Ok so everyone is watching the build up to the football but I am still claiming my first.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Gove refuses to commit himself to taking the UK out of the EU in October as he pitches for Remainer and anti No Deal votes alongside Hunt who has also refused to make such a commitment.

Raab, Boris and Javid though are all presenting themselves as the true Brexit candidates having all now promised to leave with or without a Deal in October

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1134760464272035840?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited June 2019
    Fourth. Like the Conservatives. Which is a bit of a recovery.
    Edit. Actually, see still fifth.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @DavidL said:
    > Ok so everyone is watching the build up to the football but I am still claiming my first.

Ah, that would be why we could find a late restaurant reservation.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    I've just noticed from HYUFD's posts of tweets that Peterborough candidate Mike Greene tweets as @MikeGreeneTBP where the TBP part looks a bit like MP or some other gravitas-adding qualification. Nigel Farage's advisors really are good. It is not just the arrow.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    COYS
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    > @HYUFD said:
    > Gove refuses to commit himself to taking the UK out of the EU in October as he pitches for Remainer and anti No Deal votes alongside Hunt who has also refused to make such a commitment.
    >
    > Raab, Boris and Javid though are all presenting themselves as the true Brexit candidates having all now promised to leave with or without a Deal in October
    >
    > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1134760464272035840?s=20

Still parroting the "or risk Jeremy Corbyn" line. One that is receding into the distance at this rate.
    How about doing what is in the best interests of the country?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1134871429609078784

And what's most depressing is that it will probably do her next-to-no harm.

40% of the population were prepared to vote for Corbyn-led Labour in the last GE, after all.

FWIW I think it most likely that the Brexit Party will get across the finishing line in the Peterborough by-election, but I wouldn't expect the Labour vote to just collapse like a failed soufflé. The Tory vote probably will, but Labour should at least finish second.
  • Options
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > Ok so everyone is watching the build up to the football but I am still claiming my first.
    >
    > Ah, that would be why we could find a late restaurant reservation.

Yep, that would be it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > I've just noticed from HYUFD's posts of tweets that Peterborough candidate Mike Greene tweets as @MikeGreeneTBP where the TBP part looks a bit like MP or some other gravitas-adding qualification. Nigel Farage's advisors really are good. It is not just the arrow.

Competent people involved in British politics ???

Are they foreigners ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Gove refuses to commit himself to taking the UK out of the EU in October as he pitches for Remainer and anti No Deal votes alongside Hunt who has also refused to make such a commitment.

Raab, Boris and Javid though are all presenting themselves as the true Brexit candidates having all now promised to leave with or without a Deal in October

They are stark raving bonkers to promise that. The timescale just cannot be guaranteed. What if negotiations are going well but there are delays at the EU end or the UK legislation can't be completed in time? Are they seriously going to say 'Oh well, we'll crash out anyway then'? And even if they are mad enough to go for No Deal, that will STILL require a bunch of legislation. And what if parliament takes it out of their hands anyway?

Of all the stupid things a candidate could commit to, this is the most stupid. Talk about handing a huge great stick to Nigel Farage, and setting yourself up to be the shortest-lived PM in modern history. No sensible Conservative should support a candidate who is so daft.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited June 2019
    As an Arsenal fan, am I meant to be constructing some kind of over complicated, transparent straw man that will (not) give the impression I am unconcerned about our biggest rivals winning the Champions League, should they do so, so I can’t lose either way (in my head) ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Would not two arses of similar cheek be more accurate ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, it is interesting that rather than duke it out with Raab and Boris as chief Brexiteer, Michael Gove seems to be taking on Jeremy Hunt as champion of the pragmatic soft Brexit.

• Options

> @DecrepitJohnL said:

> I've just noticed from HYUFD's posts of tweets that Peterborough candidate Mike Greene tweets as @MikeGreeneTBP where the TBP part looks a bit like MP or some other gravitas-adding qualification. Nigel Farage's advisors really are good. It is not just the arrow.

Competent people involved in British politics ???

Are they foreigners ?

Probably American. Nigel Farage has been open about learning from the Trump campaign.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > They are stark raving bonkers to promise that. The timescale just cannot be guaranteed. What if negotiations are going well but there are delays at the EU end or the UK legislation can't be completed in time? Are they seriously going to say 'Oh well, we'll crash out anyway then'? And even if they are mad enough to go for No Deal, that will STILL require a bunch of legislation. And what if parliament takes it out of their hands anyway?
    >
    > Of all the stupid things a candidate could commit to, this is the most stupid. Talk about handing a huge great stick to Nigel Farage, and setting yourself up to be the shortest-lived PM in modern history. No sensible Conservative should support a candidate who is so daft.

How many sensible Conservatives do we think there are? I'm guessing we could look at a few of the past Brexit votes and work out a pretty good estimate.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    >
    > > I've just noticed from HYUFD's posts of tweets that Peterborough candidate Mike Greene tweets as @MikeGreeneTBP where the TBP part looks a bit like MP or some other gravitas-adding qualification. Nigel Farage's advisors really are good. It is not just the arrow.
    >
    >
    >
    > Competent people involved in British politics ???
    >
    >
    >
    > Are they foreigners ?
    >
    > Probably American. Nigel Farage has been open about learning from the Trump campaign.

If we're still in the EU come the next General Election, the Conservative Party is finished as a major force. It won't survive the proportion of its voter base that will desert.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > Gove refuses to commit himself to taking the UK out of the EU in October as he pitches for Remainer and anti No Deal votes alongside Hunt who has also refused to make such a commitment.
    >
    >
    > Raab, Boris and Javid though are all presenting themselves as the true Brexit candidates having all now promised to leave with or without a Deal in October
    >
    > They are stark raving bonkers to promise that. The timescale just cannot be guaranteed. What if negotiations are going well but there are delays at the EU end or the UK legislation can't be completed in time? Are they seriously going to say 'Oh well, we'll crash out anyway then'? And even if they are mad enough to go for No Deal, that will STILL require a bunch of legislation. And what if parliament takes it out of their hands anyway?
    >
    > Of all the stupid things a candidate could commit to, this is the most stupid. Talk about handing a huge great stick to Nigel Farage, and setting yourself up to be the shortest-lived PM in modern history. No sensible Conservative should support a candidate who is so daft.

I was already hoping Gove would be the winner and this just reinforces it for me. The important thing for Leaver's should be that we do actually Leave the EU eventually. I do understand those who fear we will just drag on in limbo for ever but a few extra months or even a year from the original planned date is nothing if it ensures we do Leave. Trying to force it into a limited timescale just makes it all the more likely Parliament will make sure it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    >
    > Yes, it is interesting that rather than duke it out with Raab and Boris as chief Brexiteer, Michael Gove seems to be taking on Jeremy Hunt as champion of the pragmatic soft Brexit.

I think the difference is that Gove is committed to us leaving whilst Hunt is not. I think it is not only good political positioning by Gove but also good for Leave and the country in the long term.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

I presume if Parliament has not approved a Deal by October they will call a general election on a platform of No Deal rather than request a further extension (assuming Macron and Germany do not veto such a further extension anyway which is not impossible) given the current Commons will always try and block No Deal. If the EU has agreed to renegotiate the backstop, which is very unlikely anyway given EU statements, then yes there may be an issue of a short extension required to tidy up that process which could create problems.

However if Gove or Hunt extend again in October rather than allow No Deal it is hard to see how Farage and the Brexit Party would not surge even further, the Tories certainly cannot go into the next general election having failed to deliver Brexit and have any chance of staying in power, especially if they always put further extension of Article 50 ahead of being willing to consider leaving the EU with No Deal
  • Options
    Kind of on topic. I am a lifelong West Ham fan but am rooting for Liverpool tonight. Not because I particularly like them or dislike Spurs but because I think Klopp has been a fantastic manager and is one of the genuine good guys in football and he deserves that to be rewarded.
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    >
    > Yes, it is interesting that rather than duke it out with Raab and Boris as chief Brexiteer, Michael Gove seems to be taking on Jeremy Hunt as champion of the pragmatic soft Brexit.

Javid too is now in the former camp
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Twelfth or worse, like the Tories
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Good to see the no confidence motion in Philip Lee passing - represent your party or expect to get hooked.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

Kind of on topic. I am a lifelong West Ham fan but am rooting for Liverpool tonight. Not because I particularly like them or dislike Spurs but because I think Klopp has been a fantastic manager and is one of the genuine good guys in football and he deserves that to be rewarded.

Can they both lose? ;)

I am *not* a footie fan, but I hope those that are have fun tonight, and there's a good, enjoyable game to watch. I'll be doing something else.

Anything else ...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

They are stark raving bonkers to promise that. The timescale just cannot be guaranteed. What if negotiations are going well but there are delays at the EU end or the UK legislation can't be completed in time? Are they seriously going to say 'Oh well, we'll crash out anyway then'? And even if they are mad enough to go for No Deal, that will STILL require a bunch of legislation. And what if parliament takes it out of their hands anyway?

Of all the stupid things a candidate could commit to, this is the most stupid. Talk about handing a huge great stick to Nigel Farage, and setting yourself up to be the shortest-lived PM in modern history. No sensible Conservative should support a candidate who is so daft.
    Indeed, but I suspect we will soon find out that most Conservative Party members are not sensible.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    I'm an LAFC fan through and through, but I'm rooting for Liverpool tonight. Why? Because (a) LAFC looks almost exactly LFC and (b) someone has painted a giant Liverpool logo at the (local) Westwood rec ground.

I think those two reasons are good enough.

LAFC, by the way, are the real Los Angeles team. Watch this all the way through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0L-t24Xxs
  • Options
    OT BBC4 is showing the Alan Clark diaries from 10pm Monday (two episodes a night, for three Mondays by the look of things). John Hurt plays the minister who coined "led by donkeys," now a topical hashtag.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    As an Evertonian I hope Liverpool lose every game they play, and frankly could have well done without seeing Liverpool videos on this website.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    DavidL said:

Ok so everyone is watching the build up to the football but I am still claiming my first.

I’m not.

I am however looking forward to Montalbano tonight: sexy Italian detective, shots of Sicily, the Mediterranean, delicious food (Montalbano spends a lot of time in restaurants) and some vague plot that no-one really cares about. Mmmmm.........

PS I strongly suspect that the Peterborough Brexit candidate is the brother of a trader I have had lots of dealings with over the years.

I hope he doesn’t share his brother’s ethics.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
  • Options
    @TGOHF said:
    Good to see the no confidence motion in Philip Lee passing - represent your party or expect to get hooked.

++++++++++++++++++++

The problem with No Confidencing people (i.e. deselecting) is that they no longer have any incentive to stay with your party. If Mr Lee were to become a ChUKer or a LibDem, it makes the risk of a new Election much greater. (Which you might welcome, but imagine the only change is that the Conservatives lose 50 to BXP and 50 to the LDs, while Labour lose 50 to the LDs. What then?)
  • Options
    The last thing I want to see is Brexit being dragged on any further than October but I still think that Gove is proving himself the adult in the room here. He can do this because he has nothing to prove as a leaver and he has the intellectual confidence to debate any of the others with one hand tied behind his back.

Gove is marmite and just a bit odd but he is the class of this field by a distance. I want a PM who is demonstrably smarter than me (not a particularly high bar but one that I honestly think many of these deluded candidates struggle with) and who has the intellectual flexibility that May lacked to find a way forward. As I could never bring myself to actually sign up none of this matters as I don't have a vote but if I did Gove would get it. Then Rory (at least until he is eliminated). Then Hunt. Then probably Javid. Then maybe Boris. The rest, sigh.
  • Options
    Why is everyone obsessed with the football? We know a British team will win. What difference does the result make?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2019
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Good to see the no confidence motion in Philip Lee passing - represent your party or expect to get hooked.

If he resigns the Tory Whip together with - say - Grieve and Greening, the Tories will be down to 310 MPs before the loss of any by election held in Brecon & Radnor. On those numbers they become very vulnerable to a VNOC even with continued DUP support.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Kane and Firmino both start. I think Kane cannot be match fit, and very tough on Lucas Moura, who is the player who got Spurs to this final.

Liverpool for me. Klopp has built the best team to watch in the PL, and deserves the trophy.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > Ok so everyone is watching the build up to the football but I am still claiming my first.
    >
    > I’m not.
    >
    > I am however looking forward to Montalbano tonight: sexy Italian detective, shots of Sicily, the Mediterranean, delicious food (Montalbano spends a lot of time in restaurants) and some vague plot that no-one really cares about. Mmmmm.........
    >
    > PS I strongly suspect that the Peterborough Brexit candidate is the brother of a trader I have had lots of dealings with over the years.
    >
    > I hope he doesn’t share his brother’s ethics.

Sounds like an Italian Morse. I'll look out for it. Is it dubbed or subtitles?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    > @IanB2 said:
    > Why is everyone obsessed with the football? We know a British team will win. What difference does the result make?

I don't even know who's playing.

Watching Chernobyl tonight instead.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DavidL said:

I want a PM who is demonstrably smarter than me (not a particularly high bar but one that I honestly think many of these deluded candidates struggle with) and who has the intellectual flexibility that May lacked to find a way forward.

I totally agree with that. Maybe it's nostalgia but I'm sure that in the past a lot more politicians appeared to be significantly smarter than the average person. Nowadays I invariably find myself thinking "how the hell did someone so stupid get elected?"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Why is everyone obsessed with the football? We know a British team will win. What difference does the result make?

Do you back the German or the Argentinian? :)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    A few years ago we were told that Gove could be ruled out re - becoming PM on account of his fear of flying.What happened to that?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > Why is everyone obsessed with the football? We know a British team will win. What difference does the result make?
    >
    > Do you back the German or the Argentinian? :)

I’d choose the German but don’t ask me what team that would be.

Just as with the cricket, I guess the evening thread will be filled with posts from people watching the match with updates that those watching already know and those not watching don’t want to know.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    I see that a medical conference is going to be denied the wit and wisdom of Julia Hartley Brewer. Yet another victim of this dreadfully disturbing 'No Platforming' tendency.

First they come for softhead talk show hosts ...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    > @justin124 said:
    > A few years ago we were told that Gove could be ruled out re - becoming PM on account of his fear of flying.What happened to that?

Perhaps he plans to SKYPE ? :D
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > A few years ago we were told that Gove could be ruled out re - becoming PM on account of his fear of flying.What happened to that?

He must have dealt with that. Next up, his '30 fags a day' teeth. They look horrible and will need fixing if he makes it. Which despite being Labour through and through I hope he does. I think he could be our best PM since Brown.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    > @Black_Rook said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > >
    > > > I've just noticed from HYUFD's posts of tweets that Peterborough candidate Mike Greene tweets as @MikeGreeneTBP where the TBP part looks a bit like MP or some other gravitas-adding qualification. Nigel Farage's advisors really are good. It is not just the arrow.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Competent people involved in British politics ???
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Are they foreigners ?
    > >
    > > Probably American. Nigel Farage has been open about learning from the Trump campaign.
    >
    > If we're still in the EU come the next General Election, the Conservative Party is finished as a major force. It won't survive the proportion of its voter base that will desert.

Agreed.

If we don’t leave in October I expect an exodus of members, too.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited June 2019
    > @Cyclefree said:
    >
    > I’m not.
    >
    > I am however looking forward to Montalbano tonight: sexy Italian detective, shots of Sicily, the Mediterranean, delicious food (Montalbano spends a lot of time in restaurants) and some vague plot that no-one really cares about. Mmmmm.........
    >
    > PS I strongly suspect that the Peterborough Brexit candidate is the brother of a trader I have had lots of dealings with over the years.
    >

You share my wifes love of Montalbano and the close affinity our family has with Italy and all the wonderful holidays we have had there over decades

Trivia - but we have travelled to Italy from the UK by car, train, air and sea at different times over the years
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,732
    edited June 2019
    @kinabalu,

I don't think the surgeons understood that as a member of the commentariat, Julia Hartley Brewer is absolutely entitled to speak to any conference on any subject whatsoever, with or without their consent or even invitation. Shame on them, the libtard cuckflakes.... :)

• Options
    The ideal Champions League Final has an exotic foreign team that I can root for against an English team who I dislike - being all English teams bar Sheffield Wednesday.

So I'm stuffed tonight. Might watch a couple of old Question Times.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    DavidL said:

> @Cyclefree said:

>

> I’m not.

>

>

>

Sounds like an Italian Morse. I'll look out for it. Is it dubbed or subtitles?

Sub-titles. On BBC4 at 9 pm. Wonderful.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@kinabalu,
    I don't think the surgeons understood that as a member of the commentariat, Julia Hartley Brewer is absolutely entitled to speak to any conference on any subject whatsoever, with or without their consent or even invite. Shame on them, the libtard cuckflakes.... :)

:smile:

Their loss.

Julia will go marching on. Nature of the ... woman.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@kinabalu,

I don't think the surgeons understood that as a member of the commentariat, Julia Hartley Brewer is absolutely entitled to speak to any conference on any subject whatsoever, with or without their consent or even invitation. Shame on them, the libtard cuckflakes.... :)

It is the GPs that have withdrawn their invitation, not the surgeons. In my experience JHB is ubiquitous enough that any interested party can find her opinions out fairly readily.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @rcs1000 said:

"The problem with No Confidencing people (i.e. deselecting) is that they no longer have any incentive to stay with your party. If Mr Lee were to become a ChUKer or a LibDem, it makes the risk of a new Election much greater. (Which you might welcome, but imagine the only change is that the Conservatives lose 50 to BXP and 50 to the LDs, while Labour lose 50 to the LDs. What then?)"

..........................................................................................................................

How could you Sir !!!!!!!!!!

Think of the betting opportunities, the wonderful threads, the bar charts and your father taking the bookies for the odd 50/1 tip ..... and TSE ruminating endlessly on the introduction of AV ....

Ah .... I see what you mean !! ..... :innocent:
  • Options
    Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur or You'll Never Walk Alone ????

I'm going for Flower of Scotland .. :smile:
  • Options
    > @Casino_Royale said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > Why is everyone obsessed with the football? We know a British team will win. What difference does the result make?
    >
    > I don't even know who's playing.
    >
    > Watching Chernobyl tonight instead.

I can't wait for the second series, the first ended on a massive cliffhanger.
  • Options
    The starting line up.
    Spurs:
    5 England
    5 EU
    1 non EU

Liverpool:
    2 England
    1 Scotland
    2 EU
    6 Non EU

• Options
    @justin124 said:
    A few years ago we were told that Gove could be ruled out re - becoming PM on account of his fear of flying.What happened to that?

++++++++++++++++++++++

Fortunately, in Fortress Britain, there will be no need for the Prime Minister to ever leave his (or her) bunker.
  • Options
    @Mortimer said:
    If we don’t leave in October I expect an exodus of members, too.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Surely that depends on the circumstance. If we haven't left in October because we're f*cking around, and the prospect of Brexit is receding, that's one thing.

But there are other scenarios. If the WA had been successfully "torn up" (not that I think that's a particularly good idea), then I doubt a new one would be in place by October.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/titaniamcgrath/status/1134884364108685312

I think if you're taking about who's dominated the contest, Javid isn't relevant
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@justin124 said:

++++++++++++++++++++++

Fortunately, in Fortress Britain, there will be no need for the Prime Minister to ever leave his (or her) bunker.

Are you suggesting that Gove is a terrible golfer?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > The starting line up.
    > Spurs:
    > 5 England
    > 5 EU
    > 1 non EU
    >
    > Liverpool:
    > 2 England
    > 1 Scotland
    > 2 EU
    > 6 Non EU

So what you're saying is that if you're in favour of Global Britain, you should support Liverpool, while if you're stuck in the old EU-centric mindset, then Spurs should be your team.

Got it.
  • Options
    > @glw said:
    > I want a PM who is demonstrably smarter than me (not a particularly high bar but one that I honestly think many of these deluded candidates struggle with) and who has the intellectual flexibility that May lacked to find a way forward.
    >
    > I totally agree with that. Maybe it's nostalgia but I'm sure that in the past a lot more politicians appeared to be significantly smarter than the average person. Nowadays I invariably find myself thinking "how the hell did someone so stupid get elected?"

Cameron was both seriously bright and evidence that brightness isn’t everything. But it’s a good start. Corbyn is just too stupid to be PM. It’s as simple as that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    In solidarity with the supporters of:

Everton
    Manchester United
    Southampton
    Norwich City
    West Ham United
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Oxford United
    Coventry City
    Wimbledon
    Nottingham Forest
    Luton Town
    Derby County

For one night only, COYS.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

> @Foxy said:

> The starting line up.

> Spurs:

> 5 England

> 5 EU

> 1 non EU

>

> Liverpool:

> 2 England

> 1 Scotland

> 2 EU

> 6 Non EU

So what you're saying is that if you're in favour of Global Britain, you should support Liverpool, while if you're stuck in the old EU-centric mindset, then Spurs should be your team.

Got it.

Though of course being in the EU has not stopped Liverpool being a global team o:)
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    >
    > > The starting line up.
    >
    > > Spurs:
    >
    > > 5 England
    >
    > > 5 EU
    >
    > > 1 non EU
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Liverpool:
    >
    > > 2 England
    >
    > > 1 Scotland
    >
    > > 2 EU
    >
    > > 6 Non EU
    >
    >
    >
    > So what you're saying is that if you're in favour of Global Britain, you should support Liverpool, while if you're stuck in the old EU-centric mindset, then Spurs should be your team.
    >
    >
    >
    > Got it.
    >
    > Though of course being in the EU has not stopped Liverpool being a global team o:)

Fair point :smile:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    > @Foxy said:
    > @kinabalu,
    >
    > I don't think the surgeons understood that as a member of the commentariat, Julia Hartley Brewer is absolutely entitled to speak to any conference on any subject whatsoever, with or without their consent or even invitation. Shame on them, the libtard cuckflakes.... :)
    >
    >
    >
    > It is the GPs that have withdrawn their invitation, not the surgeons. In my experience JHB is ubiquitous enough that any interested party can find her opinions out fairly readily.

I used to think you could predict them pretty easily by taking whatever Katie Hopkins had said on a subject then watering them down a fair bit. Now they're full strength Brexit, anti immigrant, lefty-hating harridan-ese. You don't get anywhere nowadays in our brave, new marketplace of opinions by erring on the moderate side of things.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > > @Casino_Royale said:
    > > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > Why is everyone obsessed with the football? We know a British team will win. What difference does the result make?
    > >
    > > I don't even know who's playing.
    > >
    > > Watching Chernobyl tonight instead.
    >
    > I can't wait for the second series, the first ended on a massive cliffhanger.

Chernobyl was some of the best tv I have seen in years.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > A few years ago we were told that Gove could be ruled out re - becoming PM on account of his fear of flying.What happened to that?
    >
    > He must have dealt with that. Next up, his '30 fags a day' teeth. They look horrible and will need fixing if he makes it. Which despite being Labour through and through I hope he does. I think he could be our best PM since Brown.

Brown was utterly dire.
  • Options
    Penalty for Liverpool in 30 seconds
  • Options
    Liverpool one up
  • Options
    @tlg86 said:

"For one night only, COYS."

COYS Of Kensington ??
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    Floater said:

> @kinabalu said:

> > @justin124 said:

> > A few years ago we were told that Gove could be ruled out re - becoming PM on account of his fear of flying.What happened to that?

>

> He must have dealt with that. Next up, his '30 fags a day' teeth. They look horrible and will need fixing if he makes it. Which despite being Labour through and through I hope he does. I think he could be our best PM since Brown.

Brown was utterly dire.

Second worst PM we ever had.

And the worst was 1827-28 so the claim falls anyway.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,268
    Are they not showing it on ordinary TV? :(
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Are they not showing it on ordinary TV? :(

No BT sport
  • Options
    BBC Sport website saying:

Liverpool have won five European Cups, Tottenham in first EC/CL final

Liverpool have lost their past four cup finals, Spurs their past two

Klopp has lost his two CL finals; only Marcello Lippi has lost three in a row

Firmino returns from injury for Liverpool, Kane replaces Moura for Spurs

Jose Antonio Reyes remembered before kick-off following death in car crash

• Options
    DavidL said:

Cameron was both seriously bright and evidence that brightness isn’t everything. But it’s a good start. Corbyn is just too stupid to be PM. It’s as simple as that.

I'm waiting for the memoirs, and maybe the history. Cameron was the worst prime minister since Lord North, despite being highly intelligent and having no apparent ideological fixations. I genuinely am at a loss to understand how it all went pear-shaped.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:

It's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wOmcXMabYc
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Come on if this was actually a Champions final neither Liverpool or Spurs would have been in it for the last 30 years let alone playing in the final!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited June 2019
    > @Cyclefree said:
    >
    > I’m not.
    >
    >
    >

On a slightly related note I was continuing yesterday in my quest to make a definitive pasta 'ncasciata, a baked macaroni dish with aubergines and cheese that appears regularly and somewhat mystically on Montalbano. The recipes for this dish vary widely and my results so far have fallen short of the Dish of the Gods that these recipes imply. I picked up a Galician cheese in Lidl that I thought might substitute for caciocavallo and tried again. Improving but not quite there yet, I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    "
    Are they not showing it on ordinary TV?" :(

...............................................................................

Virgin Media customers can watch the match free on Channel 100.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

It's on Youtube:

Video disabled by owner
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > Cameron was both seriously bright and evidence that brightness isn’t everything. But it’s a good start. Corbyn is just too stupid to be PM. It’s as simple as that.
    >
    > I'm waiting for the memoirs, and maybe the history. Cameron was the worst prime minister since Lord North, despite being highly intelligent and having no apparent ideological fixations. I genuinely am at a loss to understand how it all went pear-shaped.

----------------------------

He had one firm belief; in his own electoral invulnerability. And that was his downfall.
  • Options

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

No BT sport

Bugger...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    >
    > > Are they not showing it on ordinary TV? :(
    >
    >
    >
    > No BT sport
    >
    > Bugger...

That's the free market for you.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    DavidL said:

My goodness, a first as well. Is it a sign?

Undoubtedly. Not of anything good, but I'll let that be a surprise.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Wtf are those little bubbles across the middle of the screen on BT Sport?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Abstractly, I wonder whether there is a correlation between football zealotry and "brexitism".
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Thank God we have a poll to talk about rather than the football !!

Solid poll for BXP, the LDs and especially the Greens for whom this is a very good poll.

Conservatives and Labour sub 40% between them which is incredible but this poll better for Labour and worse for the Conservatives for whom 17% is a catastrophic number.

By the way, I make that a 17% swing from Conservative to Liberal Democrat since 2017. That might shift a couple of seats.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'm waiting for the memoirs, and maybe the history. Cameron was the worst prime minister since Lord North, despite being highly intelligent and having no apparent ideological fixations. I genuinely am at a loss to understand how it all went pear-shaped.
    It's not rocket science - he gave in to pressure to hold a referendum, an easy enough thing to do but misguided as we now see, and he, like most people, underestimated the strength of feeling in the country, with all that 'no one cares about the EU, it is not listed as a major concern' type talk that made Cameron, like most, overly confident.
  • Options

Wtf are those little bubbles across the middle of the screen on BT Sport?

Mine is fine
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Greens riding the surge too, for the moment.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2019
    Foxy said:
    Will it get as much media coverage and general excitement as the one showing the Liberal Democrats ahead earlier this week?

Apparently the Observer suggests this poll would give the Brexit party an estimated 306 seats and the Tories a mere 26.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/01/brexit-party-nigel-farage-lead-opinion-poll-conservatives-opinium
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Expecting LDs to drop back towards 15ish. Will the Faragists do the same?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Brown was utterly dire.

Overrated Chancellor, Underrated PM.

Think we've done this one.
  • Options
    > @brendan16 said:
    > https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1134897907319132160
    >
    >
    >
    > Will it get as much media coverage and general excitement as the one showing the Liberal Democrats ahead earlier this week?

Electoral calculas. The Brexit party 18 short of a majority

Cat among pigeons time
This discussion has been closed.