Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Gove’s white lines are a red line for a majority of the electo

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    TGOHF said:

At least Gove is fronting up on tv (Marr).

Boris in hiding again.

Hes winning easily and wants to keep his head down I guess.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Very meaty analysis by Ashcroft - we've had some of the charts shown here but it's worth reading the whole thing. Not entirely welcome to most of us, but intriguing.

https://us4.campaign-archive.com/?e=99cd3aa6df&u=7c92abe0d0d9432cf9c5b98c9&id=70101d1a72) .
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

Hes winning easily and wants to keep his head down I guess.
    Boris is winning easily and Lynton Crosby has advised him to keep his head down, might be nearer the truth.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919
    edited June 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well you're reaching back a bit! And I'm not sure how widely known, acknowledged and openly confessed it was.

On the whole I think these things were known but not openly admitted or publicly discussed. Nor do I believe serial lying, or drug-taking applied.

Until 1921, taking drugs wasn't illegal and opium abuse was in fact very widespread. So again, I'm not convinced you're right on that although a very different context applied.

And those are definitely the ones everyone knew about.
    "In London in 1916, Harrods were selling a kit described as "A Welcome Present for Friends at the Front" containing cocaine, morphine, syringes and needles."

And as for C19th Pope Leo XIII: "He didn't just take cocaine. He advertised it, appearing on a poster having awarded a Gold Medal to the manufacturer of the "tonic" he carried in a personal hipflask to fortify himself in those moments when prayer was insufficient."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/drug-that-spans-the-ages-the-history-of-cocaine-6107930.html
    I seem to recall, long years ago having to study, or at least be aware of, the history of 'control of drugs' legislation. The first such drug to be controlled was arsenic, back in 1851. There was no coherent effort at comprehensive drug control until the 1933 Pharmacy and Poisons Act, which, as a pharmacy student in the v. late 50's I had to be fully aware of, although not required to recite on a line-by-line basis.
    Actually that replaced the earlier Dangerous Drugs Act of 1921, a punitive system derived from certain powers under the Defence of the Realm Act, with the Rolleston system of control through medical means.

So 1933 wasn't the first comprehensive system, although it may have been the first coherent one. It lasted I think until the hippy culture of the 1960s.

I did find it funny that in the 1920s the British government were trying to stamp out cocaine use while simultaneously using protectionist tariffs and large sums of public money establishing a domestic cocaine industry.

Anyway, I have an organ to inflate. Have a good morning.
    The 1920 Act was nowhere as comprehensive as the '33 Act. Having learned the provisions of the 1933 Act by heart, within 10 years I and my peer group were working under the Medicines Act 1968. Which was similar but different.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    Barnesian said:

I suspect there will be another 10 supporters for Leadsom declaring on Monday afternoon. Enough to get her through the first two ballots and give her momentum. The Leadsom backer knows of this plan.

Then Gove pulls out after further revelations, followed by Raab after disappointing numbers. Leadsom picks up some transfers. Saj goes, and Handcock and all the no hopers.

Johnson, Hunt, Leadsom - final 3.

Now the big Johnson scandal hits. Looks like he has fathered 15 illegitimate children. Many of them in the Far East. He withdraws in disgrace.

Run off between Leaver Leadsom and Remainer Quisling Hunt.

At this point the backers at 10 close out at 1.5 (since Hunt might well shade it).
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Mr. NorthWales, I'm a bit surprised. Does back up Rory's assertion (from memory, do correct me if I'm wrong) that Boris is assuring people we won't leave without a deal.

He has the support of Baker, who must therefore believe Boris will leave without a deal. And given his commitment to a specific date Boris has heavily hinted he would leave no matter what.

A lot of MPs seem curiously willing to accept statements of intent without assessing any potential delivery. May intended a lot too. They have not learned their lesson.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

JackW said:

When Chukka says politics is broken.

His Constituents voted 68.5% Lab. Only 6.5% LD.

They now have a LD MP.

He refuses to call a By Election.

Too right Politics is broken.

Source ??
    Daily Mail
    You read the daily mail. It is not in todays edition
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

They now have a LD MP.

Source ??
    Daily Mail
    Thank you. Although there is no official confirmation as yet. Probably clearing the way though.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    LOL, not quite the same Harry, she stole about a weeks worth of Gove's expenses whist he was ensuring teachers were barred for life while doing the exact same thing himself. At least you can trust a thief , unlike a liar. I also note she is in jail for her crime whilst your hero is a cabinet minister. The SNP ensure any bad uns are jailed , unlike good old Tory justice.
    Um, why are the SNP or Tories ensuring people are jailed? Shouldnt the police and court system do that?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Mr. NorthWales, I'm a bit surprised. Does back up Rory's assertion (from memory, do correct me if I'm wrong) that Boris is assuring people we won't leave without a deal.

Seems that while Boris is not in front of the cameras he is networking across the party and seems to be gaining support from not only brexiteers but the moderate mps. I have no idea what he is promising but it looks as if he will storm this
    Indeed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He has the support of Baker, who must therefore believe Boris will leave without a deal. And given his commitment to a specific date Boris has heavily hinted he would leave no matter what.

A lot of MPs seem curiously willing to accept statements of intent without assessing any potential delivery. May intended a lot too. They have not learned their lesson.
    If we leave without a deal, will the EU be unable to pay Farage his pension?
  • Options
    In a Boris cabinet who would lose their jobs outside Hammond, Gauke, and hopefully Grayling
  • Options

JackW said:

They now have a LD MP.

Source ??
    Daily Mail
    Online edition :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7119835/MP-Chuka-Umunna-stand-Liberal-Democrats-safe-Labour-South-London-constituency.html
  • Options

I am baffled how the Tory membership could go all Mary Whitehouse on Gove and yet be happy to sweep Bozo to victory.

If they want to take the moral high ground it sounds like they need a new set of candidates.

Yes, the ability of Boris to get away with stuff is rather impressive if baffling. Unless hes lucky and a lot more competent than he seems, the Tory members are willingly ignoring a mountain of evidence that he is unsuitable. It's why it must go to a members vote, they must own what happens for better or ill.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Morning all.

I see that the Tory party has died and has been replaced by a lot of drug-addled foreigner-hating country-harming revolutionaries and that Labour are giving women members the same dismissive treatment hitherto reserved for Jews.

Have I missed anything?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Whilst climbing in the Andes, and down in the jungle in Peru, we had Coca tea every day, our guides served "Bed tea", in your tent every morning to wake you up, and we were offered coca leaves to chew on.
    The hotels had coca tea bags, and free leaves. We were warned we could fail a drugs test back in the UK.
    The tea had little effect, and even chewing the leaves did little.
    Guess I am guilty of trying cocaine, fortunately I will not be a politician.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    If Javid is right and £500m is all it will take to break the deadlock then we should have done it ages ago. Unfortunately I don't think he is right. Tbh, I'm even up for £500m per year for as many years as it takes to negotiate the long term FTA. Again, it seems unlikely.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    JackW said:

JackW said:

They now have a LD MP.

Source ??
    Daily Mail
    Online edition :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7119835/MP-Chuka-Umunna-stand-Liberal-Democrats-safe-Labour-South-London-constituency.html
    I receive the online mail plus which is the actual paper and it is not in there. However, I do not think anyone would be surprised if he joined the lib dems but BJO gave the impression he already had
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    malcolmg said:

Trying to save himself by grovelling on Marr is hardly likely to cut it.

You say that - and you may be right - but remember Hugh Grant going on Oprah and doing a mea culpa interview after his 'incident' in LA. It was honest, raw, emotional, clearly very painful for Hugh - and painful to watch frankly - but it worked. His career hit new highs in the immediate aftermath.

I can imagine Michael pulling something like that off. It must surely be what he has in mind. I bet he's watched that Grant interview many times in the last 48 hours.

Where it might come a cropper, however, is with Andrew Marr. He is no Oprah Winfrey. A better choice might have been Lorraine Kelly - 'Lorraine' - tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    LOL, not quite the same Harry, she stole about a weeks worth of Gove's expenses whist he was ensuring teachers were barred for life while doing the exact same thing himself. At least you can trust a thief , unlike a liar. I also note she is in jail for her crime whilst your hero is a cabinet minister. The SNP ensure any bad uns are jailed , unlike good old Tory justice.
    Um, why are the SNP or Tories ensuring people are jailed? Shouldnt the police and court system do that?
    Doh, read my other post , of course that is what I meant. It was an SNP minister who reported her suspicions to the police , which contrasts with the Tories who make their law breakers cabinet ministers. Any idiot knows that in all countries in the UK, that politicians do not mete out justice or run the courts. To even be silly enough to post that , like Marquee Mark, is just your "look a Squirrel " to deflect from the actual point made. Different political parties handle their politicians misdemeanours differently, much like the earlier discussion on the justice system which is also far from perfect for certain parts of the population.
  • Options

Seems that while Boris is not in front of the cameras he is networking across the party and seems to be gaining support from not only brexiteers but the moderate mps. I have no idea what he is promising but it looks as if he will storm this
    Theres no way all those supporters can have been promised he will do the same thing on Brexit. So I'm inclined to think many of them are backing him because they expect an early GE and think he is best placed to save as many seats as possible.

They've given up on Brexit, and are now focused on survival post either a failure to deliver or a need to switch to no deal.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    I wouldn't completely write Gove off for another 48 hours - that price of 19 looks a bit long. I've a reason for saying that which I can't discuss here, but more generally I think politicians can weather storms better than most people assume - if anothing further comes out, the cocaine story will die in a day or two.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If Javid is right and £500m is all it will take to break the deadlock then we should have done it ages ago. Unfortunately I don't think he is right. Tbh, I'm even up for £500m per year for as many years as it takes to negotiate the long term FTA. Again, it seems unlikely.

Even if it might have worked once we arent the only ones now locked in by political gamesmanship. Appearing to give in on the issue for cash would mean for sure they wouldn't go for it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    That's the second person here today who has juicy gossip they can't divulge. Can't you come back under an alias? 19th century poet or something? *innocentface*
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kle4 said:

Theres no way all those supporters can have been promised he will do the same thing on Brexit. So I'm inclined to think many of them are backing him because they expect an early GE and think he is best placed to save as many seats as possible.

They've given up on Brexit, and are now focused on survival post either a failure to deliver or a need to switch to no deal.
    I think that's a good reading, but also that the hard-line brexiters think he's a winner and will lead us to a majority in a pre brexit election by taking 15 points off BP and 3-5 points from everyone else vs a hugely divided opposition.

It's not a position I think is realistic but speaking to members that seems to be driving a lot of the backing for Bozza.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

It does amaze me how he has avoided the cameras but maybe sitting back watching others implode is his strategy

One thing is certain politics is going to dial up the rhetoric, sound and fury for some considerable time

The days of Cameron and Clegg in the rose garden seem so distant
    It's getting so bad the Cameron/Clegg years are starting to seem like a golden era!

If it's a choice between Johnson and Corbyn next time I won't be voting - I don't even want a scintilla of responsibility for making either of them PM. Strange times, having never missed a vote in my life for 50 years I haven't voted at all since 2016 and it doesn't look like changing. I think I have mentally left Brexit Britain for more welcoming shores!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    jayfdee said:

Whilst climbing in the Andes, and down in the jungle in Peru, we had Coca tea every day, our guides served "Bed tea", in your tent every morning to wake you up, and we were offered coca leaves to chew on.
    The hotels had coca tea bags, and free leaves. We were warned we could fail a drugs test back in the UK.

Sounds a bit like khat - you spend all day eating a privet hedge, to get the same buzz as you get from a single espresso.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    Doh, read my other post , of course that is what I meant. It was an SNP minister who reported her suspicions to the police , which contrasts with the Tories who make their law breakers cabinet ministers. Any idiot knows that in all countries in the UK, that politicians do not mete out justice or run the courts. To even be silly enough to post that , like Marquee Mark, is just your "look a Squirrel " to deflect from the actual point made. Different political parties handle their politicians misdemeanours differently, much like the earlier discussion on the justice system which is also far from perfect for certain parts of the population.
    I wasn't deflecting from anything, it was a joke. Blimey people are tetchy bastards lately. Calm the heck down its sunday morning.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

I see that the Tory party has died and has been replaced by a lot of drug-addled foreigner-hating country-harming revolutionaries and that Labour are giving women members the same dismissive treatment hitherto reserved for Jews.

Have I missed anything?

It is, still, surprising that a large organisation felt that even if accusations were not serious that they should not deal with them formally. Even if the claims were crap thats a poor look.
  • Options

I wouldn't completely write Gove off for another 48 hours - that price of 19 looks a bit long. I've a reason for saying that which I can't discuss here, but more generally I think politicians can weather storms better than most people assume - if anothing further comes out, the cocaine story will die in a day or two.

The Gove drug use is not politically fatal in itself, more the personal and journalistic hypocrisy that seems to have more legs.

That said the Gove story has formally opened the Pandora's box on a whole range of personal choices and opinions that will run and run and there are many weeks of revelations to come.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

It does amaze me how he has avoided the cameras but maybe sitting back watching others implode is his strategy

One thing is certain politics is going to dial up the rhetoric, sound and fury for some considerable time

It's getting so bad the Cameron/Clegg years are starting to seem like a golden era!

If it's a choice between Johnson and Corbyn next time I won't be voting - I don't even want a scintilla of responsibility for making either of them PM. Strange times, having never missed a vote in my life for 50 years I haven't voted at all since 2016 and it doesn't look like changing. I think I have mentally left Brexit Britain for more welcoming shores!
    Not wanting to vote LD or someone else? Or worried anyone else you vote for could do a deal with those two?
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Just a drug fuled hedonist.
  • Options
    Hunt gives a calm, measured and assured performance on Sky News. He is the complete antithesis of Boris.
  • Options

In a Boris cabinet who would lose their jobs outside Hammond, Gauke, and hopefully Grayling

I thought Grayling was backing Boris now?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Hunt gives a calm, measured and assured performance on Sky News. He is the complete antithesis of Boris.

Including in his ability to win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Still needs sacking
  • Options

If I were a hardline Brexiteers/ERG type I would be very suspicious of what Johnson is saying in private to some of the people who are coming out to support him.

The bigger question of course is whether he is lying to them or lying to the membership.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    I wasn't deflecting from anything, it was a joke. Blimey people are tetchy bastards lately. Calm the heck down its sunday morning.
    You forgot the rolling eyes. The whole country is up in arms , impossible to tell nowadays what is serious and what is a joke unless it is highlighted.
    Sad thing is as we have seen the politicians do interfere in the justice system and we see that in past they have been treated very differently to the plebs and it all emanates from Westminster cesspit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

Not wanting to vote LD or someone else? Or worried anyone else you vote for could do a deal with those two?
    Lib Dems are a joke, only idiots would see them as an alternative.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    You forgot the rolling eyes. The whole country is up in arms , impossible to tell nowadays what is serious and what is a joke unless it is highlighted.
    Sad thing is as we have seen the politicians do interfere in the justice system and we see that in past they have been treated very differently to the plebs and it all emanates from Westminster cesspit.
    I shall have to remember the eyes.

As for Gove, I'd assume his chances of making the final two are lower now, wcen if none have withdrawn backing for him. Still, it means he avoids being thumped by Boris, Mr Squeaky Clean and Consistent in the next stage.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Still needs sacking
    Question is , how could he have survived so long?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

Alternative in the sense of if you feel obliged to vote but cannot stand the big two who do you vote for? Not everyone has PC or the SNP to consider. More seem to be choosing the Greens of course.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

Have I missed anything?

It does amuse me in a silly way to think that somebody cryogenically frozen in 1969 and being woken 50 years later, on hearing the PM is called Boris will just assume we lost the Cold War.....
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129
    OllyT said:

If I were a hardline Brexiteers/ERG type I would be very suspicious of what Johnson is saying in private to some of the people who are coming out to support him.

The bigger question of course is whether he is lying to them or lying to the membership.
    There's also the question of whether MPs backing Boris in public will actually vote for him in the first rounds of voting
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Will Boris be able to hold his seat in the event of an early GE? PM or not?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Still needs sacking
    Close friend of TM and a brexiteer
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Gove is typical of an elite that tells the country one thing while doing something totally different in private. More appallingly, he was happy to send people to prison for long periods of time for doing what he did. The hypocrisy stinks to high heaven. It's one rule for the elite, it's another for everyone else. That will resonate - maybe not in the Tory leadership election, but in the country more widely. And we all know that what Gove has done Johnson has done with knobs on.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    I suspect that those with scandal to reveal will now wait until Monday evening when nominations have closed. If too many drop out before then, others such as Penny M might add their names to the list of candidates.
  • Options
    JackW said:

He was clam and assured, but still talking unicorns. And, as Ridge pointed out, he has had more Brexit positions than there are days in the year.

• Options
    Mauve said:

OllyT said:

There's also the question of whether MPs backing Boris in public will actually vote for him in the first rounds of voting
    Theres so many backing him, more than merely those sucking up to him. I fear they actually believe that his 'stratrgy' on Brexit is genuine or think he is their rotund saviour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    I shall have to remember the eyes.

As for Gove, I'd assume his chances of making the final two are lower now, wcen if none have withdrawn backing for him. Still, it means he avoids being thumped by Boris, Mr Squeaky Clean and Consistent in the next stage.
    LOL :wink: My fingers are crossed that he is well and truly beaten or even better pulls out and that Boris dumps him from the cabinet as well.
  • Options
    Mauve said:

OllyT said:

Equally, those saying they will back somebody else could still cynically vote for Boris on the quiet, believing he is the only way to hold onto their seats...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Has to at least be a candidate for a decapitation strategy, but I think hed be safe.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

Have I missed anything?

I think the Tory drug taking explains the Brexit positioning.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

Alternative in the sense of if you feel obliged to vote but cannot stand the big two who do you vote for? Not everyone has PC or the SNP to consider. More seem to be choosing the Greens of course.
    Agree, it is a dilemma for people, no valid choice way it is going and in reality who would want the Greens running the country, almost worse than Lib Dems.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    The SNP ensure any bad uns are jailed...

Is the justice system that politicised?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    jayfdee said:

Coca is known to improve physical endurance at altitude. If you hadn't taken it, you might have noticed the difference.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Vaguely related point, I'm surprised that Mordaunt has seemingly decided not to run.

Perhaps lacks the support of her colleagues?

Most Tory MPs have already endorsed and there are already 11 candidates. Probably explains it.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Still needs sacking
    Close friend of TM and a brexiteer
    G, typifies what is wrong with the system, just old boys network in both Tories and Labour, no matter how crap you are as long as you are in with the right people. It is no wonder all main parties are so full of deadbeats.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

Have I missed anything?

What about Labour MP supporting the Birmingham protesters -oh and more anti semitism stories.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

Boris in hiding again.

Live in a Tory/Labour marginal so may as well stay at home under FPTP. I think I have got to the point where I don't actually care who runs Brexity Britain, I don't see a good way out of this only variations of bad.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    matt said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:
    The SNP ensure any bad uns are jailed...

Is the justice system that politicised?
    Read my many other "explaining for Dummies" posts
    PS: I could have written it better but did not assume anyone would be silly enough to think I meant the SNP were running the courts
  • Options

JackW said:

He was clam and assured, but still talking unicorns. And, as Ridge pointed out, he has had more Brexit positions than there are days in the year.

A slight over-egging of the pudding there .... :smile: .. That said if the evidence changes I'm not concerned that a politician changes their view.
  • Options
    Car crash Esther on Marr
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

A slight over-egging of the pudding there .... :smile: .. That said if the evidence changes I'm not concerned that a politician changes their view.

Like the other contenders in the race, Hunt is guided solely by personal ambition. His consistency in changing position is certainly understandable given that.

• Options
    The current Tory leadership race is the best possible advertisement against drug use ever devised. Look what taking cocaine, cannabis, opium and the rest has done to the contenders' brains and judgement.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Has to at least be a candidate for a decapitation strategy, but I think hed be safe.
    Safest strategy would be to shoehorn Johnson into Christchurch and despatch Chope to the HoL. A rather neat two birds with one stone solution.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Like the other contenders in the race, Hunt is guided solely by personal ambition. His consistency in changing position is certainly understandable given that.

And yet he criticised no deal, which harms his ambition in the second portion of the contest, should he get that far.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Safest strategy would be to shoehorn Johnson into Christchurch and despatch Chope to the HoL. A rather neat two birds with one stone solution.
    Bit of an admission of weakness that he thinks himself vulnerable. He needs to move house to Christchurch quick, saying his mistress has always wanted to live there.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    An incompetent prime minister will be replaced by a charlatan through and through.

I doubt Gove will be in Johnson's cabinet, but who knows?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

JackW said:

JackW said:

Senior politicians show ambition shocker ....

In other news Tottenham Hotspur fail to win trophy shocker .... :wink:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,369
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

I suspect there will be another 10 supporters for Leadsom declaring on Monday afternoon. Enough to get her through the first two ballots and give her momentum. The Leadsom backer knows of this plan.

Then Gove pulls out after further revelations, followed by Raab after disappointing numbers. Leadsom picks up some transfers. Saj goes, and Handcock and all the no hopers.

Now the big Johnson scandal hits. Looks like he has fathered 15 illegitimate children. Many of them in the Far East. He withdraws in disgrace.

At this point the backers at 10 close out at 1.5 (since Hunt might well shade it).
    More plausible is that it’s Gove’s dealer who has been backing Leadsom, and there are further revelations to come...

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,017
    FF43 said:

An incompetent prime minister will be replaced by a charlatan through and through.

If Gove somehow wins, Nicky Morgan for Chancellor might be a good bet.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    McVey did a good job on Marr - put old jug ears back in his coffin.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

More plausible is that it’s Gove’s dealer who has been backing Leadsom, and there are further revelations to come...

LOL :) cracker
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

McVey did a good job on Marr - put old jug ears back in his coffin.

She was awful. Avoided all the questions. Huge diappointment
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    TGOHF said:
    Can't we have that woman on the left as PM?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited June 2019
    FF43 said:

Won't they be at the 'we all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately' stage? Pretty sure Boris will want any competitors to be complicit in an impending clusterfcuk, just in case his staggering genius is not able to turn this into a triumph.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

And yet he criticised no deal, which harms his ambition in the second portion of the contest, should he get that far.

Like Rory Stewart, Hunt is smart enough to know that there is going to be another Conservative party leadership election pretty soon after this one. Having been right about the absolute disaster a No Deal will be is going to be a pre-requisite for having a chance in that fight.

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    What kind of first round number would make Boris unstoppable, could he win 120 votes first time round ? Would that be enough?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Can't we have that woman on the left as PM?

We could get Jennifer Saunders to play her if she doesn't want the job.
  • Options
    Why do labour keep rolling out Barry Gardiner. He is clueless
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019

What kind of first round number would make Boris unstoppable, could he win 120 votes first time round ? Would that be enough?

The problem with this system is that you could win more than the 105 votes needed to go through in the first round, but if you then come across as cocky and arrogant you might actually lose votes before the final round of MP voting and could even not go through. So maybe Boris would prefer not to get "too many" votes in the first round.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Anyone who has spent time watching the Conservative party knows that it is home to more than its fair share of self-centred chancers who put themselves before the country. Just as anyone who supports Spurs knows that defeat is built into the equation.

• Options
    edited June 2019

He already is. Assuming at least some of the undeclared aslo back various frontrunners, which seems reasonable, and he's pushing 60-70 or so already in the first round. Certainly well short of your massive number, but when you then consider some of those who will lose out in the next few rounds and he is getting 100+ pretty quickly, at which point you need a near perfect split from the others to stop him.

kle4 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Like Rory Stewart, Hunt is smart enough to know that there is going to be another Conservative party leadership election pretty soon after this one. Having been right about the absolute disaster a No Deal will be is going to be a pre-requisite for having a chance in that fight.

That rather assumes the membership will learn the right lesson from no deal being a disaster. Evidence would suggest they will say, in the event of disaster, that the problem was Boris did not believe in Brexit hard enough.

Also, being the one up against the winner last time hasn't helped Leadsom.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639

Most of their good communicators are not welcome in the shadow cabinet. Believing in the Leader is probably not a good starting point for being in front of Marr and the wider public.
  • Options
    'Our next Prime Minister' advertised by Marr for 8.00pm on the 18th June on the BBC
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Very meaty analysis by Ashcroft - we've had some of the charts shown here but it's worth reading the whole thing. Not entirely welcome to most of us, but intriguing.

https://us4.campaign-archive.com/?e=99cd3aa6df&u=7c92abe0d0d9432cf9c5b98c9&id=70101d1a72) .

Very good read.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Being the losing finalist got Leadsom a seat in the Cabinet. Anyone scoring well can look forward to a black car and red boxes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Being the losing finalist got Leadsom a seat in the Cabinet. Anyone scoring well can look forward to a black car and red boxes.
    Not if there is a GE soon they won't!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

'Our next Prime Minister' advertised by Marr for 8.00pm on the 18th June on the BBC

May is going to be on the telly?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited June 2019
    The old ones are the best(worst). Stick to your drug confessions and zany 'cancel VAT' schemes, Govey.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1137657847481810946
  • Options
    Gove getting the tone wrong, not sure he can seriously continue.
  • Options
    Gove reduced to arguing that if he were elected PM, they would let him travel to the US.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

In Labour Party stupidity top trumps.

Barry Gardiner? (Good call by the way).

I'll raise you Ian Lavery!
  • Options

kle4 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Stewart is setting himself up to be the anti Boris candidate.
  • Options
    Gove - Getting skewered on the detail. Almost stumped a few times. Now on DRS - Drug Ramification Shit-storm

That's why Boris is so camera shy ....
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Anyone who has spent time watching the Conservative party knows that it is home to more than its fair share of self-centred chancers who put themselves before the country. Just as anyone who supports Spurs knows that defeat is built into the equation.

Yawn.

Both you and Jonathan are never more boring than when you get onto your partisan stick.
  • Options

The old ones are the best(worst). Stick to your drug confessions and zany 'cancel VAT' schemes, Govey.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1137657847481810946

Sturgeons status vs 2019 Westminster politicians far better than Salmonds was in 2016 vs Cameron. Indeed plenty of floating voters would accept Corbyn plus Sturgeon but be petrified of a Corbyn outright majority.
This discussion has been closed.