Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Gove’s white lines are a red line for a majority of the electo

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072
    Australia are bowling very well at this moment. India are going to struggle to make 300 unless they find a few boundaries from somewhere.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Artist said:

I don't think many Brexit Party voters who want Britain to 'take back control' would be too keen on Scottish Nationalists holding the balance of power at Westminster.

There's a deal to be done between Farage and Sturgeon if it came to that. Farage always favoured much more Scottish devolution, and I think he'd be fine with the model originally proposed by the SNP in the Scotland's Place in Europe paper.
    At the Brexit Party Edinburgh rally Farage even asked for SNP supporters and nationalists to 'lend the Brexit Party their votes' in the European Parliament elections as the Brexit Party took a neutral position on Scottish independence (although Farage was himself a Unionist) but he wanted the votes of nationalists who wanted a truly independent Scotland outside the UK and outside the EU.

In the event the Brexit Party came second in Scotland behind the SNP
    Yes they got the UKIP/protest votes as it would not harm anyone for another numpty like Coburn to be in EU. Would be different if it was a real election where it actually counted for something.
    The Brexit Party is still polling 15% in Scotland in the latest YouGov Westminster poll, more than both Labour and the LDs are currently polling in Scotland

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/av96skv1vw/TheTimes_190606_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
    So votes are going from unionist parties to a party that's neutral on the union? Good news for the SNP then?
    Around 40 per cent of Scots and Londoners voted leave - although you would think they don't exist at all from the way the media and politicians representing those areas talk. Hardly surprising 15% of Scots back the Brexit party then.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,833
    Very off-topic:

Congratulations to Sophie Wilson for getting a well-deserved CBE in the birthday honours.

Amongst other accomplishments, she was one of the four main designers of the ARM chip, and developed its instruction set.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Somebody give him an extra shovel, even though he's doing an excellent job with the one he's got:

'Speaking on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show, he said: "I do have a profound sense of regret about it all and I am very, very aware of the damage that drugs do."
    Mr Gove acknowledged he was "fortunate" not to have gone to prison.
    "I deeply regret the mistake that I made," the environment secretary added, denying he had ever had a drug "habit".'

Headline:
    Michael Gove admits he was lucky to avoid jail over cocaine use

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572982

Massively rash, for mere possession you'd expect a caution or fine for a first offence. If you are worried about jail you are worried about being find guilty of possession with intent to supply.

The Mail says Gove *hosted* a party where cocaine was available...
    https://order-order.com/people/ishmael-osamor/
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,809
    ydoethur said:

Australia are bowling very well at this moment. India are going to struggle to make 300 unless they find a few boundaries from somewhere.

332.5 bookies innings total currently
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,926
    edited June 2019
    Britons would work a 10 hour week and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank to help tackle climate change and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

James Cleverly for Boris seems to be the only new endorsement today so far.

Spoke too soon: Karen Bradley and Damian Hinds have endorsed Gove to take him ahead of Hunt on 35 vs 33.
    Well, if they've been waiting to judge which new PM would throw the best victory party :wink:
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,124
    Wow! Buttigieg. Maybe it really is going to happen...

ydoethur said:

332.5 bookies innings total currently
    At the moment it's five, six an over. To get to 330 they have to double that scoring rate.
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Britons would work a 10 hour work and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

And how are people going to pay their rents and mortgages - in London for some that accounts for half their pay.

What are people going to do all day during the week - go down the pub, go shopping and drink coffee.

Roads would be busier, homes noisier as people would go out less. Sounds barmy
    edited June 2019
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Britons would work a 10 hour work and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

And how are people going to pay their rents and mortgages - in London for some that accounts for half their pay.

What are people going to do all day during the week - go down the pub, go shopping and drink coffee.
    It's clearly not just Gove that is overdoing the illegal substances.

To put it at its most basic mathematical level - 90% reduction in hours and 75% cut in pay doesn't add up unless productivity rises 150%.

I'm also intrigued they think millions of people heating their homes and running TVs instead of their offices and computers would somehow be more energy efficient.

Still, it's nice of Macdonnell to confirm he really does want to copy Venezuela. I didn't expect him to be quite so blatant about it.

Edit - ah, it's a reduction to 10 hours, not a reduction to 10% of working hours. My misreading.
    edited June 2019
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

I would imagine either rents and house prices would collapse or the state would fill the gap with social housing.

Presumably we could then go down to the coffee shop and spend most of our free time discussing leftwing philosophy while the dear leader runs the country?
    Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg much closer to Biden in Iowa than nationally, if one of them manages to win the Iowa caucus and beat Biden I think they then have a good chance of gaining enough momentum to win the Democratic nomination
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

nico67 said:

MaxPB said:

The moral high ground sought by some Labour members on here is great to see, as if it's any different for senior Labour MPs. The idea that any of our MPs haven't done a line or smoked a bit of weed at least once in their life defies the reality of Westminster.

Most MPs are white and middle class, to not have done a line at least once would be a bigger shock, IMO.

I’m a Labour voter and think people shouldn’t moralize , we’ve all done things we might have regretted.

My issue against Gove isn’t his cocaine use , its the vomit inducing hypocrisy since.

Game over for Gove , the interest now is who he decides to take down with him , Lady Macbeth won’t be happy and will want to exact some revenge .
    Oh I agree with that, it's the hypocrisy that will get him but comments on here about all of the Tory leadership being on drugs etc... is a bit much to take from members of the Labour party who's own leadership probably did a lot of regrettable stuff in their younger days.

Which contenders for the Tory leadership have confirmed that they have not taken drugs? They all seem to have done it.

Sajid Javid has certainly not said he has taken drugs, nor has Mark Harper yet or Esther McVey or Sam Gyimah
    Perhaps the four of them could have a party together to break their ducks.
    I can't see Javid taking drugs even if offered at a party, he still adheres to Muslim values even if non practising
    Does Islam allow the smoking of tobacco?
    Tobacco is not an illegal drug in the UK
    Sandpit said:

If I was a candidate I’d want to know an awful lot about any debate before agreeing to it.

The usual rules are that the front-runner does not want a debate in case they put their foot in it, whereas those behind will agree almost anything as a last throw of the dice. Compare and contrast Cameron as LotO and PM.
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

James Cleverly for Boris seems to be the only new endorsement today so far.

Cleverly will likely replace Lewis as Party chairman under Boris
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    HYUFD said:

Britons would work a 10 hour week and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank to help tackle climate change and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

Ha Ha Ha
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,881

That poll is very much in line with previous recent Iowa polls, their last Iowa poll must have been from ages ago.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

So today’s debate is moving on from people who took too many drugs years ago, to people who are clearly taking far too many right now!
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Surely if Boris Johnson wins, that is the end of Michael Gove as a cabinet minister.
    Revenge .

Revenge would be to put him in charge of Brexit.
    Yes, I can see Boris making Gove Brexit Secretary
    He'd be wise to reject it.

'This has been a bruising campaign which has given me much to reflect upon personally. I wish X/Boris well and offer them all my support in the challenges our nation faces, but I feel this is best done from the backbenches.'

Retreats to writing unhelpful guff in tabloids and waits for next opportunity.
    Gove's wife will insist he takes the job, it would be arguably the most powerful role in government after the PM for a few months
    The Chancellor will remain more important - we have a spending review due soon or at the very least agreeing spending totals to extend the 2015 SR into 2020-21.

Nothing much happened under May re Brexit that Hammond didn't want.
    The outcome of the spending review will depend largely on what happens with Brexit
    edited June 2019
    What is going on with our weather at present.

In the midlands on Tuesday its forecast to be torrential rain all day and 9 degrees centigrade but with the wind it will apparently feel like only 5 degrees. It looks like rain every day almost everywhere for the next week or two?

Not great for outdoor festivals and sporting events like the cricket and tennis

Are we in June or December? I would blame Brexit but it can't be that as its also the same in France.

I really would like to know what the Tory leadership candidates are going to do about the weather!
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

That poll is very much in line with previous recent Iowa polls, their last Iowa poll must have been from ages ago.
    Indeed. Last poll from them was fieldwork 3-6 March, well before Buttigieg even declared. As a result he was polling 1% nationally.

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Artist said:

I don't think many Brexit Party voters who want Britain to 'take back control' would be too keen on Scottish Nationalists holding the balance of power at Westminster.

There's a deal to be done between Farage and Sturgeon if it came to that. Farage always favoured much more Scottish devolution, and I think he'd be fine with the model originally proposed by the SNP in the Scotland's Place in Europe paper.
    At the Brexit Party Edinburgh rally Farage even asked for SNP supporters and nationalists to 'lend the Brexit Party their votes' in the European Parliament elections as the Brexit Party took a neutral position on Scottish independence (although Farage was himself a Unionist) but he wanted the votes of nationalists who wanted a truly independent Scotland outside the UK and outside the EU.

In the event the Brexit Party came second in Scotland behind the SNP
    Yes they got the UKIP/protest votes as it would not harm anyone for another numpty like Coburn to be in EU. Would be different if it was a real election where it actually counted for something.
    The Brexit Party is still polling 15% in Scotland in the latest YouGov Westminster poll, more than both Labour and the LDs are currently polling in Scotland

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/av96skv1vw/TheTimes_190606_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
    So votes are going from unionist parties to a party that's neutral on the union? Good news for the SNP then?
    Until Boris takes over yes, as the polling shows he converts Brexit Party voters back to the unionist Tories in Scotland
    edited June 2019
    brendan16 said:

In the midlands on Tuesday its forecast to be torrential rain all day and 9 degrees centrigade but with the wind it will apparently feel line only 5 degrees. It looks like rain every day almost everywhere for the next week or to?

Are we in June or December? I would blame Brexit but it can't be that as its also the same in France.

It’s definitely June where I am - 45°C today!
    ydoethur said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

It's clearly not just Gove that is overdoing the illegal substances.

To put it at its most basic mathematical level - 90% reduction in hours and 75% cut in pay doesn't add up unless productivity rises 150%.

I'm also intrigued they think millions of people heating their homes and running TVs instead of their offices and computers would somehow be more energy efficient.

Still, it's nice of Macdonnell to confirm he really does want to copy Venezuela. I didn't expect him to be quite so blatant about it.

Edit - ah, it's a reduction to 10 hours, not a reduction to 10% of working hours. My misreading.
    Look, squirrel.

First, it is not a party report, still less policy. Second, it warns that is what will happen unless action is taken.

Unless current carbon emissions are cut there would have to be “an unprecedented decrease in the economic activity”, the policy dossier says.
    It says the sustainable work week would likely be “well below 10 hours per week”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9253266/labour-work-cuts-pay-climate-change/
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,309
    Sandpit said:

Gove’s price coming back in again, 19.5/22 now (was22/25). He’s still 4th favourite, behind Johnson, Hunt and the inexplicable Leadsom.

It'll come in a bit more tomorrow IMO.
    Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

In the midlands on Tuesday its forecast to be torrential rain all day and 9 degrees centrigade but with the wind it will apparently feel line only 5 degrees. It looks like rain every day almost everywhere for the next week or to?

It’s definitely June where I am - 45°C today!
    It will also be approaching 45 degrees in parts of the UK this week too - albeit 45 degrees Fahrenheit!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    ydoethur said:

Pandya has other ideas, clearly.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    brendan16 said:

In the midlands on Tuesday its forecast to be torrential rain all day and 9 degrees centigrade but with the wind it will apparently feel like only 5 degrees. It looks like rain every day almost everywhere for the next week or two?

I really would like to know what the Tory leadership candidates are going to do about the weather!

Someone on here said we were heading for a drought this summer. :angry:
    HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Surely if Boris Johnson wins, that is the end of Michael Gove as a cabinet minister.
    Revenge .

'This has been a bruising campaign which has given me much to reflect upon personally. I wish X/Boris well and offer them all my support in the challenges our nation faces, but I feel this is best done from the backbenches.'

Gove's wife will insist he takes the job, it would be arguably the most powerful role in government after the PM for a few months
    The Chancellor will remain more important - we have a spending review due soon or at the very least agreeing spending totals to extend the 2015 SR into 2020-21.

The outcome of the spending review will depend largely on what happens with Brexit
    Which is of course circular - as the Treasury will drive the decisions as they hold the purse strings.

Who will Boris appoint as Chancellor - I would have assumed Gove before the last few days.
    brendan16 said:

ydoethur said:

Somebody give him an extra shovel, even though he's doing an excellent job with the one he's got:

'Speaking on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show, he said: "I do have a profound sense of regret about it all and I am very, very aware of the damage that drugs do."
    Mr Gove acknowledged he was "fortunate" not to have gone to prison.
    "I deeply regret the mistake that I made," the environment secretary added, denying he had ever had a drug "habit".'

Headline:
    Michael Gove admits he was lucky to avoid jail over cocaine use

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572982

I am tempted to wonder how we came to this in the last few days?

Who is driving this all - and why is Michael Gove the target. After all most of the candidates are from a generation who at university and beyond must have all been exposed to this sort of thing even if they didn't all partake.

We even have Andrea Leadsom admitted she had smoked cannabis at university but has never done since. Did we need to know?
    It was probably Rory Stewart who started it with his opium at a wedding anecdote to make himself seem more interesting. Others then said they'd been cannabis-adjacent once (Leadsom & Hunt) or never (The Saj, as he is now known). So far, so innocent.

Now to Gove and the 1990s media parties. Perhaps an old Mail hand who'd been there had his memory jolted by the other stories. Or possibly someone else who'd worked in the media and who'd been to the same parties.

Politicians who'd worked in the London media in the 1990s, who now nurse a grudge against Michael Gove?

Boris worked in Fleet Street and David Cameron ran PR for the London television company, Carlton. Other people who hate Gove might be available.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,767
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Revenge .

Which is of course circular - as the Treasury will drive the decisions as they hold the purse strings.

Who will Boris appoint as Chancellor
    JRM? :D
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Can anyone explain Leadsom's price?
  • DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 128
    If Bozo does become leader, maybe he can get some classical education sorted for BBC reporters. Scylla and Charybdis "sea monsters", indeed.

"Meanwhile, Boris Johnson - in his first major interview of the campaign - compared the Labour and Brexit Party leaders to sea monsters from Greek mythology.

"I truly believe only I can steer the country between the Scylla and Charybdis of Corbyn and Farage and on to calmer water," he told the Sunday Times"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572882
    Alistair said:

The power of Mr Meeks and PB? :D
    Alistair said:

No, I have about 3 weeks wages against it on Betfair.
    Kohli 71 off 69 ? Seems very slow unless the pitch is tricky.
    Alistair said:

1. A supporter is backing her to make it look like she has any chance at all
    2. Punters think she can repeat 2016 and come through the middle to after Boris and Gove implode, of which there was precious little sign until this morning's papers

Take your pick.

More seriously, consider what will happen to the market if she does not qualify.
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Well, they've made 300 and on a ground the size of the Oval that's a fair score.

But no way will they get to a good score of around 340-350 even with Pandya's effort.
    brendan16 said:

Well, I know why it's just started raining here. I put the washing out.
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

No, I have about 3 weeks wages against it on Betfair.
    How much do you reckon the “Leadsom Whale” has invested in her, £10-20k?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Well, they've made 300 and on a ground the size of the Oval that's a fair score.

But no way will they get to a good score of around 340-350 even with Pandya's effort.
    A lot of wickets in hand, I can see Kohli going for big hits now and Dhoni can be extremely destructive with the bat now that India aren't in a position of needing lots of runs as he comes in.

Alistair said:

2. Punters think she can repeat 2016 and come through the middle to after Boris and Gove implode, of which there was precious little sign until this morning's papers

Take your pick.

More seriously, consider what will happen to the market if she does not qualify.
    The amount looking to back her at 11.0 is even greater than Boris (Who should have the most as the fav). Someone might have left a rogue bot going I reckon.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Gove apparently admitted in 2016 about cocaine use in private before the leadership challenge but it never became an issue as he pulled out from that quickly .

This is all coming about because of Owen Bennett’s book which included the cocaine use .

I’m sure if Gove could have got away with it he would have said it was a one off at a party but it seems there are far too many witnesses .

I expect some more terrible headlines tomorrow for him, but there are other revelations apparently in that book about his falling out with Johnson which could also cause problems .

It’s over for Gove now . There was little chance against Johnson anyway but this will put the final nail in the coffin .
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

A lot of wickets in hand, I can see Kohli going for big hits now and Dhoni can be extremely destructive with the bat now that India aren't in a position of needing lots of runs as he comes in.
    Here I am, trying my damnedest to get India to a decent score...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,571

Polling like this is pointless, the question is entirely hypothetical.

Regardless, Gove isn't going to make the final two is he?

No. Doing drugs, getting sacked for lying and being a complete buffoon are one thing, but attacking the heir to the throne is quite another:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2s&v=aKmf7p304go
    The main part I got annoyed at was when he called Hitler German TBH...
    All together now: "...The greatest trick Austria pulled was convincing the world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German..."
    A members vote though ! Bit less worrying for him than an MP vote.
    But that is all mere detail to worry about when Boris becomes PM.

What's £39 billion anyway - Crossrail 2 (one rail line from south west to north west London) if it ever happens would cost more than that (before financing costs).
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I wouldn't put Edwina Currie as a fan of Boris in the first place and she's surely not an MP anymore anyway for this stage?

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I really can't get excited by drug use 20 years ago. It is completely irrelevant. What is slightly more damaging is the hypocrisy charge when it is combined with his article and the general perception that there is one rule for the rest of us and one rule for the elite. It is not an attractive mindset. But we were all young once, I suppose.

Gove is a drug fuelled hypocrite who says one thing and does another, and is therefore also an untrustworthy cretin.

If only somebody had made that point in a thread header.

Oh, wait...

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/06/03/why-michael-gove-should-not-be-conservative-leader/

Is it wrong of me to be really enjoying watching him get his comeuppance in full glare of the world's media?
    OK, but how does Boris get a pass for being a serial philanderer, liar, and I believe drug-taker in his youth?
    Are we still pretending that Boris wasn't a drugtaker well into adulthood? Because I'm beginning to get irate at this. I am ambiguous about Gove (he has bottom, gravitas and smarts and is of the necessary stature to be PM, but I'm not sure - at the very least - about his ethics and his wife's and I wpuld prefer another PM) but I am concerned that Gove's honesty about his drugtaking is being punished more than Boris's dishonesty about it.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Too much is made of Bozo winning London as mayor .

He faced Livingstone who was highly divisive . The Tories are toast in London if they pursue a hard Brexit.

edited June 2019
    I assumed Edwina had left the Tories years ago? :D
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087

I wouldn't put Edwina Currie as a fan of Boris in the first place and she's surely not an MP anymore anyway for this stage?
    Edwina has as much say in electing Boris as I do.

Sorry Edwina......
    nico67 said:

He faced Livingstone who was highly divisive . The Tories are toast in London if they pursue a hard Brexit.

I'd certainly agree with that. Labour were made to field Livingstone as their candidate for a fourth go. Khan or Cruddas would I think have beaten Boris.
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Take your pick.

The amount looking to back her at 11.0 is even greater than Boris (Who should have the most as the fav). Someone might have left a rogue bot going I reckon.
    Maybe. There are two oddities. First, there has often been a chunk to lay her as well, which would function to keep her price longer. Second is there are separate markets for Leader and PM, and there has often been an arb between them for Leadsom but not rival candidates. My guess would be a naive backer because anyone running a bot would surely not have missed the other market.

Note that Leadsom has generally been short with the bookmakers as well, which might have provided some confirmation bias.

A two pipe problem, forsooth.
    Trump beats recently announced Democratic presidential candidate NYC Mayor Bill Di Blasio 46% to 38% with Rasmussen

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_jun07
    Are you telling us Boris had Edwina's vote in the first place?

#Yeah, right......
    HYUFD said:
    I'm supporting anyone who will introduce a new law to regulate the Sky ticker's use of the term "breaking news".
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

And who's going to be working in the pub, the shops and coffee bars given hours have been reduced?
    viewcode said:

OK, but how does Boris get a pass for being a serial philanderer, liar, and I believe drug-taker in his youth?

Are we still pretending that Boris wasn't a drugtaker well into adulthood? Because I'm beginning to get irate at this. I am ambiguous about Gove (he has bottom, gravitas and smarts and is of the necessary stature to be PM, but I'm not sure - at the very least - about his ethics and his wife's and I wpuld prefer another PM) but I am concerned that Gove's honesty about his drugtaking is being punished more than Boris's dishonesty about it.
    Boris is carrying a lot of timber for a regular user of coke, or indeed salads.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,024
    The £39bn includes over £20bn for the future transition period so not money which is owed and not a debt.

Perhaps someone could hammer that home to Emma Kennedy - whoever she is.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

Trump beats recently announced Democratic presidential candidate NYC Mayor Bill Di Blasio 46% to 38% with Rasmussen

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_jun07

Rassie had the Republicans winning the last congressionals by 1% .... they lost by 8.5%.

They're showing similar differences to other companies with Trump's approval ratings.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Alistair said:

No, it's bonkers for someone with 3 declared backers.
    HYUFD said:

Ah, I wondered why Trump mentioned him last week. When the polls stop reflecting name recognition, it will be time to pay attention.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

And who's going to be working in the pub, the shops and coffee bars given hours have been reduced?
    Fantasy economics from Labour is hardly new.

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

£20bn for the future transition period so not money which is owed and not a debt.

Why is not owed, and why is money owed not a debt?
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Revenge .

Who will Boris appoint as Chancellor - I would have assumed Gove before the last few days.
    Javid
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I really can't get excited by drug use 20 years ago. It is completely irrelevant. What is slightly more damaging is the hypocrisy charge when it is combined with his article and the general perception that there is one rule for the rest of us and one rule for the elite. It is not an attractive mindset. But we were all young once, I suppose.

Gove is a drug fuelled hypocrite who says one thing and does another, and is therefore also an untrustworthy cretin.

Oh, wait...

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/06/03/why-michael-gove-should-not-be-conservative-leader/

Is it wrong of me to be really enjoying watching him get his comeuppance in full glare of the world's media?
    I think it is pushing it to call Gove's conduct an instance of "honesty;" and that you are confusing probability or even probability with certainty in the case of Johnson - unless you have inside information about him.
    nico67 said:

The Tories are certainly toast in London and the rest of the UK if they do not deliver Brexit, the Brexit Party beat the Tories in London in the European Parliament elections
    Floater said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Fantasy economics from Labour is hardly new.

Neither it seems is quite often people ignoring that hospitality workers are people too when they make these plans. Unless we end up with the vast majority of the population working in hospitality for reduced hours there's going to be nobody left to serve those enjoying their great amount of time off.

Every year I seem to see on Facebook people sharing memes saying things like "shops should be closed and working should be banned on Boxing Day, its a day to be in the pub not at the shops". I suppose you'll be pulling your own pint at the pub then if work is banned?
    You can never say 352 is a bad score, particularly on a ground as big as the Oval.

But the cheats, er, Aussies, have a lot of firepower. This could be close.
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Don't do drugs, kids, or you might end up as a Conservative MP
    Scott_P said:

£20bn for the future transition period so not money which is owed and not a debt.

If there's no transition why would it be owed?

Although we've already by end of October paid for 6 months of the original transition period already in ongoing membership fees.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    I imagine he'll get over that loss. He's the one man allowed to pull such contortions.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072
    ydoethur said:

You can never say 352 is a bad score, particularly on a ground as big as the Oval.

I would make the Aussies slight favourites. India need early wickets, especially Warner. I don't think they made quite enough of the superb platform that they had.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,024
    Scott_P said:

Because there wont be a future transition period if there is a no deal exit.
    ydoethur said:

Yeah it's a big ground which makes it tough. I reckon England could chase it though tbh
    edited June 2019
    franklyn said:

I'm already planning a PSHE lesson based around Gove, Leadsom and Stewart.

'This is what drug takers end up as 20 years down the line...'
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I would make the Aussies slight favourites. India need early wickets, especially Warner. I don't think they made quite enough of the superb platform that they had.
    Interestingly Google gives India a 77% win probability.
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Oh, wait...

I think it is pushing it to call Gove's conduct an instance of "honesty;" and that you are confusing probability or even probability with certainty in the case of Johnson - unless you have inside information about him.
    Fair enough. Consider the statement modified to "...Gove's admission about his drugtaking is being punished more than Boris's improbable denials about it..."
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Oh, wait...

Fair enough. Consider the statement modified to "...Gove's admission about his drugtaking is being punished more than Boris's improbable denials about it..."
    Boris sought-of admitted to it over a decade ago. Boris's admissions have been quoted in all the Gove articles along with his lines on icing sugar . . .
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    ydoethur said:

franklyn said:

Highly successful?

(Purely in the sense of rising to the Cabinet, which is a success in politics)
    ydoethur said:

You were saying?
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

franklyn said:

Highly successful?

(Purely in the sense of rising to the Cabinet, which is a success in politics)
    No job security.

Everyone hates your guts.

You get paid a fraction of what you think you should.

You are endlessly mocked for how weird you look.

Everything you touch is an abject failure.

If I can couple those together with drug taking, I reckon Columbia and Afghanistan will go bankrupt tomorrow.
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

You were saying?
    I'm very satisfied with that comment, thank you.
    ydoethur said:

franklyn said:

"Gove: just say No!"
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Oh, wait...

Well, as a society we have a presumption of innocence and that inevitably entails that the guilty are going to get away with a lot of stuff on a "not proven" sort of basis.

My second "probability" should read "possibility."
    edited June 2019

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Robots and machines.

Many people generate a cappuccino, latte or tea without needing a barista every day in waitrose and John Lewis from a machine. You just need a human being - or robot -to change the milk and coffee grounds every couple of hours.
    brendan16 said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Robots and machines.

Many people generate a cappuccino, latte or tea without needing a barista every day in waitrose and John Lewis from a machine. You just need a human being - or robot -to change the milk and coffee grounds every couple of hours.
    For coffee maybe but for pubs? How do robots operate Challenge 25 before pulling a pint?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Interestingly Google gives India a 77% win probability.
    It's a respectable score, I just don't think its quite enough against this Aussie batting line up. Steve Smith is clearly the best batsman in the world atm and will score a run a ball while the others go berserk. Early wickets would make it more challenging but it doesn't seem to be the sort of pitch where you get out other than by caught.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,829
    Since Boris is going to win, time to speculate wildly about his Cabinet.

Chancellor: Javid
    Foreign: Hunt
    Home Secretary: Truss

I’d except Grayling, Fox, Lidington, Rudd, Bradley, Gauke to be retired, and promotions for Kwarteng, McVey, Cleverly, Cox and Malthouse.
This discussion has been closed.