Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Gove’s white lines are a red line for a majority of the electo

123457»

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Britons would work a 10 hour work and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

And how are people going to pay their rents and mortgages - in London for some that accounts for half their pay.

What are people going to do all day during the week - go down the pub, go shopping and drink coffee.

Roads would be busier, homes noisier as people would go out less. Sounds barmy
    And who's going to be working in the pub, the shops and coffee bars given hours have been reduced?
    Three times more immigrants than is currently the case?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633

Since Boris is going to win, time to speculate wildly about his Cabinet.

Chancellor: Javid
    Foreign: Hunt
    Home Secretary: Truss

I’d except Grayling, Fox, Lidington, Rudd, Bradley, Gauke to be retired, and promotions for Kwarteng, McVey, Cleverly, Cox and Malthouse.

Hunt could hardly be at FOreign when he has trashed the no deal plan Boris will need to fall back on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294

NEW THREAD

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

NEW THREAD

No there ain’t.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Britons would work a 10 hour work and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

And how are people going to pay their rents and mortgages - in London for some that accounts for half their pay.

What are people going to do all day during the week - go down the pub, go shopping and drink coffee.

Roads would be busier, homes noisier as people would go out less. Sounds barmy
    And who's going to be working in the pub, the shops and coffee bars given hours have been reduced?
    Three times more immigrants than is currently the case?
    Given nobody would have any spare money I doubt there would be any shops, bars and restaurants.

I'd also expect massive net emigration to countries where you could work more than 10 hours per week.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

Britons would work a 10 hour week and take a 75% pay cut under a plan put forward by the Autonomy think tank to help tackle climate change and welcomed by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell as a 'vital contribution to the growing debate around free time and reducing the working week.'

I assume this doesn't include people on low pay and the minimum wage, which is pretty high percentage of the population.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

If Bozo does become leader, maybe he can get some classical education sorted for BBC reporters. Scylla and Charybdis "sea monsters", indeed.

"Meanwhile, Boris Johnson - in his first major interview of the campaign - compared the Labour and Brexit Party leaders to sea monsters from Greek mythology.

"I truly believe only I can steer the country between the Scylla and Charybdis of Corbyn and Farage and on to calmer water," he told the Sunday Times"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572882

I think you're getting confused. They were sea-monsters, but a post-facto rationalisation was suggested, in which they represented a rock and a whirlpool.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    tlg86 said:

brendan16 said:

What is going on with our weather at present.

In the midlands on Tuesday its forecast to be torrential rain all day and 9 degrees centigrade but with the wind it will apparently feel like only 5 degrees. It looks like rain every day almost everywhere for the next week or two?

Not great for outdoor festivals and sporting events like the cricket and tennis

Are we in June or December? I would blame Brexit but it can't be that as its also the same in France.

I really would like to know what the Tory leadership candidates are going to do about the weather!

Someone on here said we were heading for a drought this summer. :angry:
    we must have had a years rain already
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 128
    Chris said:

If Bozo does become leader, maybe he can get some classical education sorted for BBC reporters. Scylla and Charybdis "sea monsters", indeed.

"Meanwhile, Boris Johnson - in his first major interview of the campaign - compared the Labour and Brexit Party leaders to sea monsters from Greek mythology.

"I truly believe only I can steer the country between the Scylla and Charybdis of Corbyn and Farage and on to calmer water," he told the Sunday Times"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572882

I think you're getting confused. They were sea-monsters, but a post-facto rationalisation was suggested, in which they represented a rock and a whirlpool.
    Who rationalised this post-facto? It's certainly been interpreted as the rock and the whirlpool for centuries (see https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=1631607&partId=1&searchText=gillray+storm&page=1)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    And now it's gone.
This discussion has been closed.