Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary betting collapse of Michael Gove

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

The fact that Boris is doing everything he can to avoid scrutiny is a very bad sign. It’s yet another sign why he is unfit to be PM.

Have Tory MPs learnt nothing from Mrs May? Or earlier from one G Brown?

Completely the wrong reading. Just 100% wrong. Boris is showing that he knows how to campaign. Give little away. Rely on his reputation as a winner (as London mayor). Let everyone doodle their hopes and wishes on the blank space: Remainers, Leavers, Thatcherites, One Nationers.

It is the very best way to win the Tory leadership.

I find it encouraging. If Boris can (at last) be this capable, cunning, cruel and effective as a candidate, he might even be a decently effective PM.
    It is undoubtedly reminiscent of May and Brown.
    Basic rule of thumb, if the Tory/Brexit media all back the same candidate for PM they will turn out to be a disaster. Both Brown and May had unanimous and unequivocal support from these quarters and both were dreadful PM's. Boris will get a honeymoon as Brown and May received but he is looking at that being cut short given the likely trajectory of Brexit!
    Boris is nothing like Brown and May, personality wise he is more Trump or Berlusconi than those 2. Plus not all conservative journalists back Boris, see Max Hastings, Peter Hitchens etc
    I don't doubt you but can you show me the Peter Hitchens column backing Bozza ?
    He said Hitchens does NOT support Bojo
    Thankyou Sunil
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

AndyJS said:
    Jeremy Hunt puts head in hands and wails "Please no."
    Sure it won't help him with the members, but unlike Boris he has a fight on his hands just to get to the final two - he needs all the backing he can get.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    TGOHF said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

The fact that Boris is doing everything he can to avoid scrutiny is a very bad sign. It’s yet another sign why he is unfit to be PM.

Completely the wrong reading. Just 100% wrong. Boris is showing that he knows how to campaign. Give little away. Rely on his reputation as a winner (as London mayor). Let everyone doodle their hopes and wishes on the blank space: Remainers, Leavers, Thatcherites, One Nationers.

I find it encouraging. If Boris can (at last) be this capable, cunning, cruel and effective as a candidate, he might even be a decently effective PM.
    Sorry.

And then we found that a blank space was all she was.

And judging by the lies and statements Johnson is making we will find that there is a blank space in Boris where a realistic achievable plan for Brexit should be.
    And - given the facts on the ground, and the electorate (the Tory membership) - exactly how would you suggest Boris *should* campaign, if he wanted to match your ludicrous standard?

Come out as a Remainer and Revoker?? No one has dared, you'd get zero votes
    Come out as a truth-telling quasi-Remainer, like Rory Stewart? Look at the betting.
    Come out as a hardcore no Brexiteer and prorogeur, like Raab? He is flailing.

Boris is winning. And, even as he wins, he is giving little away. That is as good as it gets, I would say, in these adverse circs.

But Boris is shit..
    Why and how? Genuine question.
    Did you miss the Foreign Secretary months ?
    Ah. Yes. Absolutely agree Bojo was a disappointment as Foreign Secretary. As was Churchill as Lord of the Admiralty,:ordering Gallipoli. Churchill forgot the detail. i.e. The fact that the Turks could entrench, and the possibility that the Royal Navy might not breach the Dardanelles.

And yet, and yet. being PM is very different to a ministerial position. You get to delegate almost everything, indeed that is probably your main job (aside from leading the nation, with good rhetoric). Boris might just be good at this. He is a proven delegator.

Besides (and more importantly) there is no decent alternative. I can see why the Tories are tempted to take the gamble
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

I shall fight on, I fight to win

• Options
    That genuinely made me LOL
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    More economic idiocy . Blowing the money that’s apparently there for a no deal which his EU fantasy plan will lead to . And give tax cuts to those that don’t really need them.

£50k in London does not even get you into the top 10% of earners, so that will boost the Tory vote in the capital to cut their taxes and elsewhere too

A tax cut for the wealthy funded by money set aside to mitigate the effects of the No Deal Brexit Johnson is set to deliver. A gift to Labour and the LibDems.

If we go to No Deal we will need to cut taxes to continue to attract business and investment and higher earners here so this will help with that. If you want higher taxes you will never vote Tory anyway

Yep - Brexit is for the few, not the many.

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Basic rule of thumb, if the Tory/Brexit media all back the same candidate for PM they will turn out to be a disaster. Both Brown and May had unanimous and unequivocal support from these quarters and both were dreadful PM's. Boris will get a honeymoon as Brown and May received but he is looking at that being cut short given the likely trajectory of Brexit!
    Boris is nothing like Brown and May, personality wise he is more Trump or Berlusconi than those 2. Plus not all conservative journalists back Boris, see Max Hastings, Peter Hitchens etc
    I am talking about the general direction of publications not the personalities.

You were telling me the other day that the Brexit party would win Peterborough and it would be the prelude to an epoch making victory for the Brexit party in the next GE! So, while you are entitled to your opinion, my personal experience of politics has taught me that Boris is doomed. Sorry, but that is how I see it and I have enough insight into the political system, the media and political parties to know that Johnson will be of no consequents for longevity in office if he becomes PM...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Thankyou Sunil
    Sorry misread it, I didn't think Hitchens would hitch himself to such an obvious medium term disaster as Boris.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    J

"Instead of sending £39bn to Brussels, let's spend it on the rich instead"

It’s all relative. Someone earning £80k in Sunderland is well off - but that salary would barely get you a two bed flat in Barking.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    TGOHF said:

As for Hunt - Rudd and Hammond backing you might be a poisoned chalice.

Yes, Boris might be heading for a landslide of North Korean proportions on that basis with the Tory membership if Hunt is his opponent
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

It's bollocks tho. Macron might wish to be the Jupiterian emperor of the world, but, despite that, he does not personally get to decide what constitutes a sovereign debt default.

Macron is increasingly comical and cack-handed. His unwarranted arrogance has just collapsed the merger of Fiat Chrysler and Renault. He was meant to be the French Thatcher. So far he is a disappointing mix of Mitterand distracted by his mistress, and Chirac at the onset of his dementia.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/emmanuel-macron-gets-lesson-capitalism-090142794

That may well be so.

But, with great respect, you and @MaxPB are missing the point. Do you really think that Britain refusing to pay amounts it legally owes is going to help or hinder Britain after a No Deal/hard/clean Brexit?
    It's all a load of bollocks, from both sides. Boris is playing to his domestic audience, but so is Macron (and so is Barnier: who wants to be the next EU prez)

You are surely smart enough to see this?!

We won't break the law and "default" (whatever that even means, in this sui generis context). We will pay what is clearly and legally due, and let a court decide the rest. But which court? Who adjudicates? These things must be thrashed out. And that will take time.

And Boris will gain from looking flinty and Thatcherite.
    That is not what those refusing to pay are saying.

If Britain goes down this route it will not be very long before we find out what our creditors think of a country which behaves in such a way or which, chooses for domestic politics, to make such suggestions.

It is preposterous that what was a serious party should even think of playing such games.

Populist nonsense designed solely for good headlines in the Telegraph and Mail that will end up costing the UK far more than £39 billion. It’s Johnson all over.

Not if it expands economic growth and thus tax revenues

You don’t expand economic.

Brexit done well will expand opportunities to trade across the globe, especially in fast growing Asia

A No Deal Brexit is not Brexit done well. We already have huge opportunities in Asia.

Presently (excluding Turkey which is in a Customs Union with the EU) the EU has only 5 FTAs completed with an Asian nation with Japan, one of the more established and slower growing Asian economies anyway, Jordan and Lebanon and Israel and the Palestinian Authority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Yes, Boris might be heading for a landslide of North Korean proportions on that basis with the Tory membership if Hunt is his opponent
    Just like you said the Brexit party would win by a landslide in Peterborough! lol
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Just like you said the Brexit party would win by a landslide in Peterborough! lol
    Boris really should be a heavy favourite against Hunt though.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Could someone who knows about this tell me if cocaine users were usually jailed 20 years ago as Gove is saying here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48572982

Because if not then Gove is spouting self-indulgent bollox.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Thankyou Sunil
    Sorry misread it, I didn't think Hitchens would hitch himself to such an obvious medium term disaster as Boris.
    Hitchens is in eternal opposition, he is so Conservative and uptight he could sell his arse as a diamond mine!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Raising the 40p from 50-80k probably shores up some seats in the Southeast I think.

How?
    Main point is doubt it'll do much in the Midlands/North. I don't see it switching many votes about.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

It's bollocks tho. Macron might wish to be the Jupiterian emperor of the world, but, despite that, he does not personally get to decide what constitutes a sovereign debt default.

Macron is increasingly comical and cack-handed. His unwarranted arrogance has just collapsed the merger of Fiat Chrysler and Renault. He was meant to be the French Thatcher. So far he is a disappointing mix of Mitterand distracted by his mistress, and Chirac at the onset of his dementia.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/emmanuel-macron-gets-lesson-capitalism-090142794

That may well be so.

But, with great respect, you and @MaxPB are missing the point. Do you really think that Britain refusing to pay amounts it legally owes is going to help or hinder Britain after a No Deal/hard/clean Brexit?
    It's all a load of bollocks, from both sides. Boris is playing to his domestic audience, but so is Macron (and so is Barnier: who wants to be the next EU prez)

We won't break the law and "default" (whatever that even means, in this sui generis context). We will pay what is clearly and legally due, and let a court decide the rest. But which court? Who adjudicates? These things must be thrashed out. And that will take time.

If Britain goes down this route it will not be very long before we find out what our creditors think of a country which behaves in such a way or which, chooses for domestic politics, to make such suggestions.

It is preposterous that what was a serious party should even think of playing such games.
    That's rubbish and you know it. Our creditors will give absolutely no fucks about a contractual dispute with the EU. I'm willing to put a thousand pounds on it. If we end up in dispute resolution for non-payment of the exit bill I'm willing to say it will have no material effect on gilt prices.
    “Our creditors will give absolutely no fucks about a contractual dispute with the EU.”

That’s a keeper. The idea that a contractual dispute, a political dispute, a No Deal exit and probably also a political crisis in Britain won’t have an effect on those assessing Britain’s standing in the world ......

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,066
    HYUFD said:

Presently the EU has only one FTA completed with an Asian nation with Japan

That's not true, and it's surprising that you say that as the EU-South Korea deal was one of the most well publicised.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Boris really should be a heavy favourite against Hunt though.
    With the Brexit supporting media behind him, you would think so! It will be interesting to see how far the elastic of political gravity can stretch assuming he becomes PM before the media has to follow the people who buy their output rather than consumers being led by the media.
  • Options
    Have any of them promised to reduce borrowing with their fantasy money ?

After all the governments of which they have all been part have borrowed hundreds of billions more than they promised to.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/7846849/Budget-2010-Full-text-of-George-Osbornes-statement.html
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt has been getting tips from Donald Trump on how to use social media to mobilise supporters

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/hunt-turns-to-trump-for-advice-on-tweeting-to-victory-hk8xn65xh
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Raising the 40p from 50-80k probably shores up some seats in the Southeast I think.

How?
    Main point is doubt it'll do much in the Midlands/North. I don't see it switching many votes about.
    Boris will already win back voters there from the Brexit Party because he backs a hard Brexit, it is targeted at voters in the more Remain leaning London and the South
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

That may well be so.

That's rubbish and you know it. Our creditors will give absolutely no fucks about a contractual dispute with the EU. I'm willing to put a thousand pounds on it. If we end up in dispute resolution for non-payment of the exit bill I'm willing to say it will have no material effect on gilt prices.
    “Our creditors will give absolutely no fucks about a contractual dispute with the EU.”

That’s a keeper. The idea that a contractual dispute, a political dispute, a No Deal exit and probably also a political crisis in Britain won’t have an effect on those assessing Britain’s standing in the world ......

That's an epic moving of goalposts. Epic.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

That may well be soamounts it legally owes is going to help or hinder Britain after a No Deal/hard/clean Brexit?

If Britain goes down this route itsuggestions.

Populist nonsense designed solely for good headlines in the Telegraph and Mail that will end up costing the UK far more than £39 billion. It’s Johnson all over.

Brexit done well will expand opportunities to trade across the globe, especially in fast growing Asia

A No Deal Brexit is not Brexit done well. We already have huge opportunities in Asia.

Presently (excluding Turkey which is in a Customs Union with the EU) the EU has only 5 FTAs completed with an Asian nation with Japan, one of the more established and slower growing Asian economies anyway, Jordan and Lebanon and Israel and the Palestinian Authority

Isn’t Korea in Asia? I am intrigued by the idea that a trade deal with Japan is of minor interest compared to one with, say, fast-growing Myanmar.

• Options

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Please go back and quote me where I said the Brexit Party would win a landslide in Peterborough and of course the only reason they did not win the seat was because the Tory vote held up better than expected to comfortably beat the LDs for third. It needed more Labour voters to vote LD and more Tory voters to vote Brexit Party for Farage's Party to win
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

That may well be so.

That's an epic moving of goalposts. Epic.

Quite. Tsk
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Scott_P said:
    Not sure I get this. Most high earners will be Remainers and as Deal Brexit is now regarded as a treacherous form of Remain isn't Boris essentially rewarding Remainers through the cancellation of Brexit?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That's not true, and it's surprising that you say that as the EU-South Korea deal was one of the most well publicised.
    OK, South Korea too, so 6 of which only 2 are major economies, with fast growing or major economies like India, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, China and Singapore there are no deals in place
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

Jeremy Hunt has been getting tips from Donald Trump on how to use social media to mobilise supporters

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/hunt-turns-to-trump-for-advice-on-tweeting-to-victory-hk8xn65xh

He's the last of the candidates I'd have expected to take advice from Trump.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

Bond traders don't assess "Britain's standing in the world" though. They will, rightly, continue to believe that we will pay the bills that are due.

As I said, you need to separate market reality from media perception of it. In reality no one will give a flying fuck about this going to dispute resolution. In reality the Bank is the largest holder of Gilts. In reality the ~£20bn or so is peanuts compared to the amount of paper the government has written.

Whether it is morally right or wrong for the government to push this to dispute settlement is up for debate, but if it does it is going to make absolutely no difference to our credit worthiness. I'm willing to put up a £1000 to that effect, happy for @rcs1000 to arbitrate and hold the cash.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

That may well be soamounts it legally owes is going to help or hinder Britain after a No Deal/hard/clean Brexit?

Populist nonsense dore than £39 billion. It’s Johnson all over.

Isn’t Korea in Asia? I am intrigued by the idea that a trade deal with Japan is of minor interest compared to one with, say, fast-growing Myanmar.

Japanese growth was 0.9% in the past year below the global average of 3.3%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

OK, South Korea too, so 6 of which only 2 are major economies, with fast growing or major economies like India, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, China and Singapore there are no deals in place
    https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/singapore-eu-sign-landmark-free-trade-partnership-agreements

"Singapore and the European Union have inked a landmark trade agreement, hailing it as a signal of their commitment to open trade and its potential to benefit their people."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In cash terms that's a lot more than a small economy growing at 5%.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/singapore-eu-sign-landmark-free-trade-partnership-agreements

"Singapore and the European Union have inked a landmark trade agreement, hailing it as a signal of their commitment to open trade and its potential to benefit their people."
    Still not a trade deal in force
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Scott_P said:

Hunt seems to be picking up momentum tonight.

Boris vs Hunt final?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Still below the US and China, the 2 largest economies in the world with neither of whom does the EU have a trade deal in force
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Turkeys voting for Christmas .

The working class Leavers must be overjoyed . Tax cuts for higher earners and less money for public services with a no deal crash out but hey you got your sovereignty back!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

fpr for Cyclefree

We won't break the law and "default" (whateverout. And that will take time.

Populist nonsense dore than £39 billion. It’s Johnson all over.

So what? Japan is a vast market which presents huge opportunities. A country with a median annual salary of $1,000 a year experiencing 20% growth is rather less enticing.

• Options
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,772
    Cyclefree said:

They can't hear you above the five-point-lead-under-Boris poll, @Cyclefree... :(
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:

Boris vs Hunt final?
    It will be a Boris, Hunt top 2 on Thursday now in all likelihood, whether that is the final 2 depends where the other contenders support goes, the only contender I would suggest Hunt is certain to gain most of their supporters from are Hancock, Gyimah and maybe Stewart
  • Options
    Leadership candidates are saddled with the reality that the membership are utterly out of touch with younger, modern Britain.

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1137833880264806402

• Options

Scott_P said:

Boris vs Hunt final?

Looking like it.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

They can't hear you above the five-point-lead-under-Boris poll, @Cyclefree... :(
    7 point lead under Boris actually and Boris will face a membership vote unlike May or Brown so the point is rubbish anyway
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:

Boris vs Hunt final?

Looking like it.

Good for Hunt, the losers in these things can trade on that for many years.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Still not a trade deal in force
    Do we need one with Singapore? aren't they the lowest tariff economy in the world?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Brief comment in middle of packing...

If we're in dispute with the EU over an exit bill, that will not affect the ability of the British government to raise finance (IMHO). What would potentially be a problem would be after we inevitably lose at international arbitration re pensions: if we then refused to pay that, it would almost certainly constitute a technical default, which would cause other obligations to come due.

(A great many bonds - and debts generally - contain small print about becoming immediately due in the event of default, because that avoids creditors finding themselves at the back of the queue in the event of default.)

But, realistically, that would take 3-4 years from crash out to come about. (And it wouldn't be Boris, or even Boris's successor in Number 10 at that point.)

If the UK government had any sense, they'd offer to pay the £10-20bn that they'd lose on in arbitration immediately. Because legally the rest is on massively shakier ground.
  • Options

Leadership candidates are saddled with the reality that the membership are utterly out of touch with younger, modern Britain.

The Remain majority Commons is actually out of touch with Leave voting Britain
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Not sure I get this. Most high earners will be Remainers and as Deal Brexit is now regarded as a treacherous form of Remain isn't Boris essentially rewarding Remainers through the cancellation of Brexit?
    Ignore it all. Leadership promises on tax are like April snow. Gone by morning.
  • Options

In London and the SE the tax changes will be extremely popular. Whether it will help us win seats we wouldn't have otherwise isn't as certain.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Boris vs Hunt final?
    It will be a Boris, Hunt top 2 on Thursday now in all likelihood, whether that is the final 2 depends where the other contenders support goes, the only contender I would suggest Hunt is certain to gain most of their supporters from are Hancock, Gyimah and maybe Stewart
    Gove and Javid too, unless they are pledged to Leadsome to give PBers apoplexy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Still below the US and China, the 2 largest economies in the world with neither of whom does the EU have a trade deal in force

And the UK will not have them either. Ireland and Huawei ensure that.

• Options
    nico67 said:

The working class Leavers must be overjoyed . Tax cuts for higher earners and less money for public services with a no deal crash out but hey you got your sovereignty back!

Boris called in Cabinet for an extra £100m a week for the NHS too so that will get that as well as the boost to economic growth from the tax cuts and the sovereignty regained and the tighter controls on immigration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42783586
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The EU has a number of trade agreements with the US - it just doesn't have one overarching free trade deal.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Naive but serious question.

Why are so many tory MPs publicly endorsing candidates?

-? you want to weasel your way to a government position on the small chance that your backee becomes PM, but what kind of PM chooses a minister on this basis?
    -? you're a close friend of the candidate. This might explain 20 or so endorsements, not many more.

On the otherhand, you have nailed your colours to the mast, which can easily be held against you in the future.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-hints-post-brexit-us-uk-trade-deal-state-visit/ (and Pelosi won't be there for ever)

https://www.ft.com/content/91d125d6-93c8-11e8-b67b-b8205561c3fe
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The EU has a number of trade agreements with the US - it just doesn't have one overarching free trade deal.
    Exactly, so there is no full Free Trade Deal in force between the EU and US
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

If we're in dispute with the EU over an exit bill, that will not affect the ability of the British government to raise finance (IMHO). What would potentially be a problem would be after we inevitably lose at international arbitration re pensions: if we then refused to pay that, it would almost certainly constitute a technical default, which would cause other obligations to come due.

(A great many bonds - and debts generally - contain small print about becoming immediately due in the event of default, because that avoids creditors finding themselves at the back of the queue in the event of default.)

But, realistically, that would take 3-4 years from crash out to come about. (And it wouldn't be Boris, or even Boris's successor in Number 10 at that point.)

If the UK government had any sense, they'd offer to pay the £10-20bn that they'd lose on in arbitration immediately. Because legally the rest is on massively shakier ground.

Yes, I think about half would be payable either way, or we'd at least have to take £15-20bn worth of liabilities on to the government balance sheet for pensions and other costs. The rest would go into dispute resolution and make no difference to gilt prices. The question is political IMO. Is it sensible to go into a dispute resolution process with an organisation who you want to conclude a fairly vast trade deal with? I'd say no, but then I'm not trying to win the leadership of the Tory party.
  • Options
    Chris Patten: situation in Hong Kong most serious since 1997.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Like the electorate, the Commons opposes a No Deal Brexit.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Boris vs Hunt final?
    Gove and Javid too, unless they are pledged to Leadsome to give PBers apoplexy.
    Javid dislikes Hunt and most of his backers will likely go to Boris, Gove and Raab if he goes out.

Gove's backers will likely mainly go to Javid and Boris if he goes out
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

In London and the SE the tax changes will be extremely popular. Whether it will help us win seats we wouldn't have otherwise isn't as certain.
    You mean like Uxbridge?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-hints-post-brexit-us-uk-trade-deal-state-visit/ (and Pelosi won't be there for ever)

Pelosi is not the problem, it’s the Irish American lobby. That will be there for a very long time to come. And there is no way round it.

• Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

Given a forced choice between No Deal Brexit or Revoke, 44% of voters preferred No Deal to 42% for Revoke and Remain

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

-? you want to weasel your way to a government position on the small chance that your backee becomes PM, but what kind of PM chooses a minister on this basis?
    -? you're a close friend of the candidate. This might explain 20 or so endorsements, not many more.

On the otherhand, you have nailed your colours to the mast, which can easily be held against you in the future.

Trying to shift the leadership debate in the direction they want? Creating the very narratives we have seen that Boris is going to be hard to beat, near impossible to keep out the top two, and that the main contenders are Hunt, Javid, Raab and Gove.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given a forced choice between No Deal Brexit or Revoke, 44% of voters preferred No Deal to 42% for Revoke and Remain

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit
    What a recipe for unity both those are, when practically level.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

...If the UK government had any sense...

See the problem? :(

• Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pelosi is not the problem, it’s the Irish American lobby. That will be there for a very long time to come. And there is no way round it.

The Irish American lobby is focused around Boston and New York and now overwhelmingly Democrat, thus Republicans are less influenced by it and more pro Brexit
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

You say you vote for X. If X wins, then result. If Y wins, you say you voted for Y in the secret ballot, that you have always admired Y, and that you are very glad Y won instead of X who you've always really disliked.
  • Options
    If the exit bill does end up in arbitration, does anyone know where it will end up? The LCIA are probably best equipped but I'd be surprised if the EU agreed to it and the government will never, ever agree to the ECJ ruling on it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Boris called in Cabinet for an extra £100m a week for the NHS too so that will get that as well as the boost to economic growth from the tax cuts and the sovereignty regained and the tighter controls on immigration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42783586
    The farmers will want funding. A statement which is always true, mind... :(
  • Options
    Guido has already included him in Hunt's column.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Irish American lobby is focused around Boston and New York and now overwhelmingly Democrat, Republicans are now less influenced by it and more pro Brexit

Bless your total ignorance. The Irish American lobby is incredibly powerful across the North East of the US, as well as the Mid-West. And is strong in both parties. There are a number of Congressional districts in red and blue states where you don’t get elected if it opposes you.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How about the next time the USA wants support for its warmongering we tell them to get it from Ireland instead ?
  • Options
    Finally before I go to sleep, oddly in the event of no deal I expect gilt yields to fall quite significantly. There will be a flight to safety and probably another round of QE.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given a choice in actual elections voters always oppose No Deal.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, I think about half would be payable either way, or we'd at least have to take £15-20bn worth of liabilities on to the government balance sheet for pensions and other costs. The rest would go into dispute resolution and make no difference to gilt prices. The question is political IMO. Is it sensible to go into a dispute resolution process with an organisation who you want to conclude a fairly vast trade deal with? I'd say no, but then I'm not trying to win the leadership of the Tory party.
    If I were PM and knew No Deal was inevitable, then I would immediately offer about £15bn, and I'd make sure it was explicitly for the stuff we'd end up paying for anyway. By doing this, it would dramatically lower the chance that the EU would take the rest to dispute resolution. Simply, they don't want to be embarassed by a loss, and they know that some of their demand would be doomed. We might (might) end up paying another £5bn down the line, after further negotiations, but I think that would be the sum of it.

What we really don't want to end up with is a situation where the PM makes blood and iron speeches about not paying a penny, and then we end up in interntional arbitration, and they rule against us to the tune of £20bn. Then we either end up grudgingly paying. Or we end up going into technical default, which would end up costing us far more than the £20bn bill.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    eristdoof said:

You want the credit from them for helping their campaign, and might get goodwill or a job in future. You say it is a small chance, but almost 10% of the entire party will be in Cabinet so it doesn't take too much to get your name in there in some capacity.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What elections were they then?

I don’t recollect no deal or revoke being on any ballot paper?

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How about the next time the USA wants support for its warmongering we tell them to get it from Ireland instead ?

It’s an option. The world is as it is, though.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    EU payments are a settling up. The idea is that you can then negotiate on the other stuff that actually matters for the future. Throwing the original payments negotiations into question is an aggressive act that shows that you don't want to engage. I can't see any benefit to the UK to doing this. I suggested last night however that Johnson might see benefit in antagonizing the EU into refusing an extension, ensuring the November No Deal parliament that would refuse to vote for.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting that we support US "warmongering" in order to get a better deal on Clorinated chicken and hormone beef?

What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Irish American lobby is focused around Boston and New York and now overwhelmingly Democrat, Republicans are now less influenced by it and more pro Brexit

Bless your total ignorance. The Irish American lobby is incredibly powerful across the North East of the US, as well as the Mid-West. And is strong in both parties. There are a number of Congressional districts in red and blue states where you don’t get elected if it opposes you.

No it isn't, of the 9 US states with over 15% Irish American population every one was in the North East and every one bar Pennsylvania voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

https://names.mongabay.com/ancestry/st-Irish.html

The Jewish, Hispanic, African American, Christian evangelical lobbies are now more powerful than the Irish American lobby and the Commerce and gun and evangelical lobbies certainly more influential with Republicans.

Indeed Trump was so unconcerned about the Irish fears over a hard border he told Varadkar last week that he wished him well with his country's border wall after Brexit

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-to-ireland-leo-varadkar-post-brexit-border-wall-will-work-out-well/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If the exit bill does end up in arbitration, does anyone know where it will end up? The LCIA are probably best equipped but I'd be surprised if the EU agreed to it and the government will never, ever agree to the ECJ ruling on it.

It wouldn't be the ECJ, because there'd be a clear conflict of interest.

My guess would be the PCA, but I could be wrong. My hope is that the EU is as disorganised as we are. Because it would not be good for us if a case was filed on the day after crash out.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Finally before I go to sleep, oddly in the event of no deal I expect gilt yields to fall quite significantly. There will be a flight to safety and probably another round of QE.

In the event of no deal does GBP rise or fall?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you trying to brainwash yourself into following the Brexit party line?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It’s an option. The world is as it is, though.

It is and it is an indictment of the incompetence of generations of governments.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

In the event of no deal does GBP rise or fall?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Andrea Leadsom continues to be more popular with punters than Sajid Javid or Rory Stewart.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.125574963
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My guess would be the PCA, but I could be wrong. My hope is that the EU is as disorganised as we are. Because it would not be good for us if a case was filed on the day after crash out.

The EU's been war-gaming handling No Deal from the beginning, so you can bet they will have everything in place to neuter the UK.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do they, the Brexit Party won most votes in the European elections on a No Deal platform, CUK was the main party pushing revoke and got less than 5%
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Andrea Leadsom continues to be more popular with punters than Sajid Javid or Rory Stewart.

Odd isn't it?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

rcs1000 said:

The EU's been war-gaming handling No Deal from the beginning, so you can bet they will have everything in place to neuter the UK.
    Neuter the UK?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

If I were PM and knew No Deal was inevitable, then I would immediately offer about £15bn, and I'd make sure it was explicitly for the stuff we'd end up paying for anyway. By doing this, it would dramatically lower the chance that the EU would take the rest to dispute resolution. Simply, they don't want to be embarassed by a loss, and they know that some of their demand would be doomed. We might (might) end up paying another £5bn down the line, after further negotiations, but I think that would be the sum of it.

What we really don't want to end up with is a situation where the PM makes blood and iron speeches about not paying a penny, and then we end up in interntional arbitration, and they rule against us to the tune of £20bn. Then we either end up grudgingly paying. Or we end up going into technical default, which would end up costing us far more than the £20bn bill.
    The ruling of "agreed to pay as a member" would probably hurt them a lot.

Unfortunately the PM is highly likely to make said speeches.

Amazingly we could probably get away with a liability transfer rather than actually giving them money.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Odd isn't it?
    Very. Maybe they don't understand the election process and are assuming Leadsom is going through to the members' ballot where she'd be quite popular.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you trying to brainwash yourself into following the Brexit party line?
    I support a Canada style FTA with the EU rather than No Deal and personally I also support the backstop for NI with a Canada style FTA for GB so no, but I recognise in a choice between No Deal or Revoke there is no guarantee Revoke and Remain would win most support amongst the electorate
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't, of the 9 US states with over 15% Irish American population every one was in the North East and every one bar Pennsylvania voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

https://names.mongabay.com/ancestry/st-Irish.html

The Jewish, Hispanic, African American, Christian evangelical lobbies are now more powerful than the Irish American lobby and the Commerce and gun and evangelical lobbies certainly more influential with Republicans.

Indeed Trump was so unconcerned about the Irish fears over a hard border he told Varadkar last week that he wished him well with his country's border wall after Brexit

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-to-ireland-leo-varadkar-post-brexit-border-wall-will-work-out-well/

Why is 15% the magic number? There are 34 million Americans who claim Irish descent. That equals immense power. Trump’s ignorance is utterly irrelevant. It’s Congress that approves trade deals.

I will bet any sum you care to name that there will be no US/UK trade deal if the Irish American lobby opposes one. Literally any sum.
This discussion has been closed.