Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The real driver behind Johnson’s CON MP campaign has been Gavi

Comments

• Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    I must admit to finding Rory Stewart refreshing, although I would be amazed if anyone (other than Boris) canderail Boris.

Stewart's father was a high ranking officer in SIS (MI6) and highly regarded. He was the model of Q from the James Bond films. Rory Stewart was,I understand, and almost certainly still is, a serving officer in MI6. If, Boris, as seems likely, becomes PM, and if, as usually happens with Boris, things descend into chaos, SIS will have their man ideally placed to step into pole position.

This is not the first time they have acted in this way; they were ready to oust Wilson, but never did so. But it is good to know that those whose job it is to protect us are doing their duty; indeed I find it most reassuring.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

On advertising:

"Heineken Refreshes the Parts Other Beers Cannot Reach’ was written by Terry Lovelock in 1973"

" “The Heineken thing was the nearest I ever came to suicide,” says Lovelock now "

Heineken (1973) – Refreshes the Parts Other Beers Cannot Reach

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/refreshes-the-parts-other-beers-cannot-reach/

Lovelock's is a good illustration of how difficult it is when you start with a blank piece of paper which is always the way it is. Most writers never write anything as memorable. (Though CDP was famous for it's original campaigns)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Scott_P said:
    Complete fantasy. Maybe election and then Brexit, but not vice versa.

Snake oil.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059

Scott_P said:

Snake oil.
    He didn’t specify the order.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed while Macmillan, Wilson and Cameron can be said to be above average, Eden and Brown were arguably the worst PMs since the War.

Cameron was the worst prime minister since Lord North, let alone the war. He almost lost Scotland; he did lose Europe. His government also gave us the debacle of Lansley's NHS changes and the fiasco of IDS's universal credit. He did at least look prime ministerial, so there is that.
    And the absurd introduction of gay 'marriage' by a Conservative government.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Roger said:

On advertising:

"Heineken Refreshes the Parts Other Beers Cannot Reach’ was written by Terry Lovelock in 1973"

" “The Heineken thing was the nearest I ever came to suicide,” says Lovelock now "

Lovelock's is a good illustration of how difficult it is when you start with a blank piece of paper which is always the way it is. Most writers never write anything as memorable. (Though CDP was famous for it's original campaigns)
    The slogan lives on, in Boris.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed while Macmillan, Wilson and Cameron can be said to be above average, Eden and Brown were arguably the worst PMs since the War.

Cameron was the worst prime minister since Lord North, let alone the war. He almost lost Scotland; he did lose Europe. His government also gave us the debacle of Lansley's NHS changes and the fiasco of IDS's universal credit. He did at least look prime ministerial, so there is that.
    Are you a parody? How is gay marriage an affront to your working class values?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited June 2019
    Donald Trump needs to STFU and concentrate on the 30000 gun related deaths a year in the USA .

9000 murders by gun and the rest accidental shootings and suicides.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

Marriage is a very conservative institution, one could argue, so it seems quite conservative to want to make it available to more people - gets more of those traditional family values ingrained across society. You're not one of those who think governments have no business defining marriage are you, as a brief look through history will show that governments absolutely do that, hence it having a legal aspect separate from religion in the first place.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

HYUFD said:

May is worst IMO

She must be hoping Boris wins

Has a chance of taking the title from her.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I didn't say it had anything to do with working class values. I'm against gay 'marriage', and would have voted against as most Tory MPs did, because I believe marriage is one man + woman.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

I’m beginning to think you are a black op account. I’m no fan of Tories, but you are clearly here solely to discredit them.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I’m beginning to think you are a black op account. I’m no fan of Tories, but you are clearly here solely to discredit them.
    You're just not used to hearing opinions other than your own. Shame.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Roger said:

On advertising:

"For mash get Smash!"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good evening, just finished watching the match at Cardiff between Afghanistan and South Africa.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I didn't say it had anything to do with working class values. I'm against gay 'marriage', and would have voted against as most Tory MPs did, because I believe marriage is one man + woman.
    Perfectly valid view to hold. I don't particularly see why it is more 'conservative' than wanting more people to form stable, legal unions though, even though it was more 'Conservative' at the time.

I am sure you would not agree, but it seems pretty easy to argue it as a conservative move, which does not have to align with Tory, or how things used to be.

As an aside, I wonder if after a new election Westminster will keep its crown as the gayest parliament in the world.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/09/the-uk-just-elected-a-record-number-of-lgbtq-people-to-parliament/
  • Options
    franklyn said:

I must admit to finding Rory Stewart refreshing, although I would be amazed if anyone (other than Boris) canderail Boris.

Stewart's father was a high ranking officer in SIS (MI6) and highly regarded. He was the model of Q from the James Bond films. Rory Stewart was,I understand, and almost certainly still is, a serving officer in MI6. If, Boris, as seems likely, becomes PM, and if, as usually happens with Boris, things descend into chaos, SIS will have their man ideally placed to step into pole position.

This is not the first time they have acted in this way; they were ready to oust Wilson, but never did so. But it is good to know that those whose job it is to protect us are doing their duty; indeed I find it most reassuring.

A Tory told me yesterday that they were the party of Small Government. You make it clear that you are in fact the party of Big Government. You don’t deserve to survive as a political party.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

It was introduced by a Conservative - Liberal coalition government, not a Conservative majority government and slightly more Conservative MPs voted against its introduction than voted for it.

Personally I have no problem with gay marriage provided there is an exemption for religious bodies from having to perform such ceremonies if they do not wish to do so
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

Scott_P said:

Snake oil.
    He didn’t specify the order.
    Yes my take from that is he's saying: "To get Brexit done, get ready for an election"

That's what it looks like to me...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Roger said:

On advertising:

"For mash get Smash!"
    "Does what it says on the tin" surpasses everything else, especially if it's true that it was just intended as a placeholder while someone dreamt up a proper slogan.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297

franklyn said:

A Tory told me yesterday that they were the party of Small Government. You make it clear that you are in fact the party of Big Government. You don’t deserve to survive as a political party.
    Where in my post did I say that I was a Conservative supporter? please refer to many of my recent posts.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Au contraire. I am enveloped in opposing views. I can count the number of times I have met like-minded souls on one hand. And I’ve been around half a century.

It’s a lonely old world. And I have only best wishes for gay people who want to tie the knot and share life with the one they love.

You repulse me.
  • Options
    Viceroy_of_OrangeViceroy_of_Orange Posts: 172
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was introduced by a Conservative - Liberal coalition government, not a Conservative majority government and slightly more Conservative MPs voted against its introduction than voted for it.

Personally I have no problem with gay marriage provided there is an exemption for religious bodies from having to perform such ceremonies if they do not wish to do so
    It was, but it is yet another reason why many Conservative voters I know stopped voting for the party. A stain on the history of the party. He and Osborne were just awful.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

franklyn said:

The Tories are the party of small government but they are also the party of national sovereignty, secure borders, tough action on crime, the family and tradition as well and always have been and if they only look to the former and ignore the latter then they will continue to be threatened by the Brexit Party in the market towns and villages outside London and the university towns and cities
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Au contraire. I am enveloped in opposing views. I can count the number of times I have met like-minded souls on one hand. And I’ve been around half a century.

It’s a lonely old world. And I have only best wishes for gay people who want to tie the knot and share life with the one they love.

You repulse me.
    And you don't repulse me for holding a different view to my own.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

HYUFD said:

Have I woken up in 1955?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Have I woken up in 1955?
    I’m not sure you ever left it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

And I believe your "beliefs" have no bearing on equality before the law.

There are no reason why gay couples should be barred from marrying their loved ones. Marriage is a civil institution not a religious one and it is civil marriage that is legal. Religions are still permitted to decide what they want to do and if they want to stick to archaic definitions they are allowed to do so.
  • Options
    London’s homicide count is sharply down this year so far. Judge for yourself the biggest racist.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

There are no reason why gay couples should be barred from marrying their loved ones. Marriage is a civil institution not a religious one and it is civil marriage that is legal. Religions are still permitted to decide what they want to do and if they want to stick to archaic definitions they are allowed to do so.
    Sure, you see no difference. I do given I do not see the two as equal to one another. But with a state church and marriage being a legal contract, obviously Parliament has to decide the question. And had I been an MP, I would have voted against. Just as I would today vote to repeal it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

I expect that Boris doesn't have a bad memory, it's more that he just doesn't pay attention, especially to someone who he thinks can't help his career.

Yes, I think that the case. He is rude enough to ignore people who cannot help him.

Be careful, the people that you meet on the way up you will meet again on the way down!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sure, you see no difference. I do given I do not see the two as equal to one another. But with a state church and marriage being a legal contract, obviously Parliament has to decide the question. And had I been an MP, I would have voted against. Just as I would today vote to repeal it.
    Cilla would be ashamed.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

HYUFD said:

Governments should stay out of the personal relationships of consenting adults. Neither do we live in theocracy - marriage is a civil as well as a religious matter. Small government means just that.

If you don't like gay marriage then the solution for you is clear - don't marry a gay man.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I expect that Boris doesn't have a bad memory, it's more that he just doesn't pay attention, especially to someone who he thinks can't help his career.

Yes, I think that the case. He is rude enough to ignore people who cannot help him.

Be careful, the people that you meet on the way up you will meet again on the way down!
    I don't think that is the case at all, Boris is very good with ordinary people, in much the same way say Blair or Cameron or Major were, certainly far better than May or Brown were
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291

HYUFD said:

You repulse me.
    And me. I thought dinosaurs were extinct
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Cyclefree said:

Plus ça change.

twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1139935613757591552

But still won a scholarship to Oxford.....
    and 'was deeply unhappy he did not receive a first'.

How churlish of them not to recognise him as exceptional.
    If I had to guess, I would say Boris was one of those kids who found pre-university education very easy and then peaked. A way with words that enables you to construct fancy sounding essays can only get you so far.
    His articles in the Telegraph are nothing special, frankly.

He was a genuinely excellent editor of The Spectator. Which is not entirely easy.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329

London’s homicide count is sharply down this year so far. Judge for yourself the biggest racist.
    Do you have a source for that claim?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Have I woken up in 1955?
    Justin124 and Viceroy of Orange both it seems still take a 1950s view of social matters and that is their right to do so.

Old Labour and rightwing Tory are not so far apart once you get away from economics and indeed are more likely to have voted Leave than liberal centrists too
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Perfectly valid view to hold. I don't particularly see why it is more 'conservative' than wanting more people to form stable, legal unions though, even though it was more 'Conservative' at the time.

I am sure you would not agree, but it seems pretty easy to argue it as a conservative move, which does not have to align with Tory, or how things used to be.

As an aside, I wonder if after a new election Westminster will keep its crown as the gayest parliament in the world.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/09/the-uk-just-elected-a-record-number-of-lgbtq-people-to-parliament/
    Civil partnerships which already existed provided the equivalent legal protections as marriage relating to survivor pensions, medical care, inheritance tax etc etc.

I don’t have any issue with equal marriage but most of the major churches and Religions in the UK haven’t reconciled themselves to it and endorsed it including our established church. And it shouldn’t be a shock some still oppose it on religious grounds even if they accepted civil partnerships.

Marriage is a word and also a cultural institution but it didn’t as far as I am aware provide any extra legal or partner benefits that weren’t available with civil partnerships. It wasn’t really about those.

Of course we then created another legal oddity as straight people could not legally form civil partnerships.

And it’s also a bit unfair that siblings who may have lived together for decades don’t have inheritance tax concessions or survivor benefits for pensions even though they paid the same contributions as those with legally recognised spouses.

I digress....
  • Options

135 homicides 2018

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8104412/london-stabbings-2019-knife-crime-statistics/

58 2019

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8273147/london-murder-rate-2019/

with 14 hot summer nights to go till mid year. Looks pretty level pegging.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Have I woken up in 1955?
    The Treaty of Rome, the precursor to the EU, dates from 1957...
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Governments should stay out of the personal relationships of consenting adults. Neither do we live in theocracy - marriage is a civil as well as a religious matter. Small government means just that.

If you don't like gay marriage then the solution for you is clear - don't marry a gay man.
    This is a country where a Twitter post can have the Police knocking on your door - we don't live under this concept of a small government. If we lived in some Ron Paulesque libertarian state, I could see the logic in your point. But we don't. And given that we don't, I therefore wish to see the state moulded in my image.

And I have adopted that solution. I am gay myself, but have chosen to remain abstinent and not have relationships due to my moral view on the subject.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    nichomar said:

Why is it his fault he isn’t responsible for all of the budget, he raised council tax by the maximum amount to fund the police. I am told there has been a reduction of 3000 because of central government cutbacks so I fail to understand why it is his fault.
    Khan is entirely immaterial to London crime numbers. He doesn't do anything and he also doesn't feel responsible for anything. He's a passive observer of events, not a leader, and confines himself to political grandstanding and that alone. A better mayor would have shown greater leadership and taken firmer action on knife crime. You are falling wholesale for his propaganda.

That wasn't why I posted the tweet. It was to highlight how Khan is still playing on Trump's mind and his desire to get one back on him.
  • Options
    Green Party leader Robert Habeck is massively ahead of AKK as preferred Chancellor.

https://twitter.com/wahlen_de/status/1139992870205689858
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2019

Roger said:

On advertising:

"For mash get Smash!"
    That was a great idea more than a great line. It was written by the most famous advertising copywriter of modern times now sadly dead.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/john-webster-adman-made-history/1154224
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8104412/london-stabbings-2019-knife-crime-statistics/

58 2019

Thanks. The BBC charts show sharp rises over recent years with knife crime in London at twice the national average. There have been three murders in the last 24 hours.

Passions for and against Trump and Khan will drown out any rationality but it's a disgrace.
  • Options

And I have adopted that solution. I am gay myself, but have chosen to remain abstinent and not have relationships due to my moral view on the subject.

Perhaps you’d do better if you didn’t put pictures of Enoch Powell on your Tinder profile.
  • Options

The last two sentences of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48646922
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    First of the stop Boris stories from the Sundays?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1139996442079191040
  • Options

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

This is a country where a Twitter post can have the Police knocking on your door - we don't live under this concept of a small government. If we lived in some Ron Paulesque libertarian state, I could see the logic in your point. But we don't. And given that we don't, I therefore wish to see the state moulded in my image.

That is your right but you do not have the right to consider yourself any better than the LBGT community who are free to enter loving relationships.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

58 2019

The weather different down there?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

On advertising:

"For mash get Smash!"
    That was a great idea more than a great line. It was written by the most famous advertising copywriter of modern times now sadly dead.
    A truly great piece of copywriting is a work of modest art. It is a meme. It is an ear worm. It lasts and lasts.

Cup hands here come Cadbury's. A hazelNUT in EVery BITE.

Lipsmackingthirstquenchingacetastingetcetc.... Pepsi.

I can remember them all, word for word, from my childhood. Kudos to great copywriters.

• Options
    "Kenneth Clarke: ‘If there’s no other way you’ve got to bring the government down’

The Tory veteran talks of his dismay at the ‘fantasies’ of the leadership race and his fears if Boris Johnson becomes PM"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/15/kenneth-clarke-bring-down-no-deal-government
  • Options
    edited June 2019

That is your right but you do not have the right to consider yourself any better than the LBGT community who are free to enter loving relationships.

Well I don't consider myself part of - hence why I am abstinent.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

58 2019

No. It is hideous. The worst start to any summer that I can remember.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What does the Church have to do with it?

It was legalised civilly. It wasn't legalised for Churches, unless the Church chooses by its own choice to do it - which is surely the Churches own right?

Why repeal it? What does taking civil rights away from anyone achieve?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

G, This country is f****ed, excuse my French. This is just another symptom, what is this obsession with LBGT nowadays and everybody having to prove how great they are, why can people not just get on with their own lives instead of trying to get one up on some other group, make out who is the best , etc. WTF is it all about.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Bozo also said it was a waste of tax payers money to investigate historical child abuse . He called it spaffing money up the wall ! I’m sure the survivors of abuse are touched by his empathy !
  • Options

It was legalised civilly. It wasn't legalised for Churches, unless the Church chooses by its own choice to do it - which is surely the Churches own right?

I don't view gay 'marriage' as a civil right.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Do any Tory voters let alone members actually read the Mirror anyway?
  • Options

Why not? Since this is a civil law not a religious one, the Churches make religious decisions, give me one civil reason why gay people should be denied marriage.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Prejeudice, division and conflict
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

58 2019

May was quite hot, tonight I have the heating on
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

A feeble hearsay story about Boris swearing is not going to stop his campaign.

I was having this chat with a Labour-voting friend an hour ago.

His womanising and bastard-breeding and general caddishness is priced in. Everyone knows it, and shrugs, or they don't know it and they don't care anyway. A scandal that might stop him, now, will need to be monumental.

My friend and I were speculating what such a Boris-scuttling scandal might be. A rape, perhaps. Or a secret heroin addiction. A tape recording of the most outrageous racism. That's what the anti-Borisites need now, at this late stage. Something truly shocking.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Why not? Since this is a civil law not a religious one, the Churches make religious decisions, give me one civil reason why gay people should be denied marriage.
    Because I don't view gay 'marriage' as being equal to actual, real marriage. I don't view it as legitimate which is why I wouldn't attend one/would repeal it. It's as simple as that.
  • Options

Well it is, get over it
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Byronic said:

My friend and I were speculating what such a Boris-scuttling scandal might be. A rape, perhaps. Or a secret heroin addiction. A tape recording of the most outrageous racism. That's what the anti-Borisites need now, at this late stage. Something truly shocking.

Something as shocking as not really believing in Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Do any Tory voters let alone members actually read the Mirror anyway?
    Expect plenty of this over the next few months
  • Options

Because I don't view gay 'marriage' as being equal to actual, real marriage. I don't view it as legitimate which is why I wouldn't attend one. It's as simple as that.
    Sorry "I don't view" is not a civil reason to deny equality before the law.

If I write "I don't view interracial 'marriage' as being ..." would that be a valid reason to deny people equality before the law? No.

The Churches can deny it if they want but give a civil reason to deny it in law.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Byronic said:

dr_spyn said:

A feeble hearsay story about Boris swearing is not going to stop his campaign.

I was having this chat with a Labour-voting friend an hour ago.

His womanising and bastard-breeding and general caddishness is priced in. Everyone knows it, and shrugs, or they don't know it and they don't care anyway. A scandal that might stop him, now, will need to be monumental.

I would guess it would have to be something way out of the arena of shagging and gaffes. Real dodgy financial corruption, but would be really rather surprising given we found he doesnt even bother to be tax efficient.
  • Options

Byronic said:

There's implication for that already, but the Borisites are calculating he is boxed in on that as his best route to holding the party together and remaining as PM, whatever his wishy washy opinions.
  • Options
    In order to deny people civil rights there needs to be a prima facie reason why to do so. Because to grant those rights brings harm to others for instance.

Does gay marriage harm others? No. So what reason does anyone have?

Does it violate religious beliefs? Perhaps but that doesn't matter for the law, and the Churches can deny it but we're talking civil marriage not religious marriage.
  • Options

Byronic said:

No. Clearly.
  • Options

Because I don't view gay 'marriage' as being equal to actual, real marriage. I don't view it as legitimate which is why I wouldn't attend one. It's as simple as that.

If I write "I don't view interracial 'marriage' as being ..." would that be a valid reason to deny people equality before the law? No.

The Churches can deny it if they want but give a civil reason to deny it in law.
    Homosexual behaviour is very different to the pigmentation of someone's skin, and it is a controversial behaviour in terms of morality and religion.

Bit of a silly comparison to make. But I can see why you would think that if you personally don't have moral/religious objections to homosexual behaviour.
  • Options

Byronic said:

What like writing two different columns, one pro remain, one pro leave?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Boris using fruity language isn’t quite the black swan required to derail his campaign in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

G, This country is f****ed, excuse my French. This is just another symptom, what is this obsession with LBGT nowadays and everybody having to prove how great they are, why can people not just get on with their own lives instead of trying to get one up on some other group, make out who is the best , etc. WTF is it all about.
    I cannot answer your question because I cannot tell what you are actually aggrieved about from your comments.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Boris using fruity language isn’t quite the black swan required to derail his campaign in my humble opinion.

Its like finding out jezza says dodgy things about zionists and met with terrorists. All priced in.
  • Options
    Hilarious , the surge has 24 saying he can unite the country versus 48 who said he couldn’t !

And the Westminster poll has an alleged surge to 21 still 3 points behind the BP.

The right wing press desperation to help Bozo is vomit inducing .
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Whilst many will disagree with your view you are entitled to it and as such nothing you have said could remotely been seen as being worthy of police again. The Twateratti are a different matter and are easily ignored.

However to see the state "moulded" in your image is a bizarre conservative viewpoint. The richness of individualism is one of the joys of a liberal democracy. Whereas a state of moulded people is a tyrants charter, whether it be of the authoritarian left or right.

Some have said you are living in the 1950's - you may choose to do so and your morals are a matter for you and you alone. But it would appear you also want 1984.

Thank you but no !!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

On advertising:

"For mash get Smash!"

I sailed across the Atlantic in a smallish yacht last year and learned that Smash is still a thing. And as bad as you remember it being.
  • Options

Byronic said:

What like writing two different columns, one pro remain, one pro leave?
    I find it rather surprising how many buy the argument that was just him working through his own thoughts and opiniosn on the subject, rather than the far more plausible explanation that he perhaps had thought about it before writing those articles and had at least general views on the subject, and yet still wrote two versions just in case he wanted to go the other way. So on the fence he decided that was the bes tway to figure things out. Sure.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yes. The Mirror story shows a rather touching, naive faith in the continued prudishness of the British people, even though the word "fuck" is now common parlance on our TV screens, and we all watch pornhub on our phones. When we are not sexting.
  • Options
    47% of voters think Boris most electable, only 22% disagree. Just 15% think Hunt most electable.

22% say they would be more likely to vote Tory under Boris, his nearest rival got just 8% saying the same
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Esther McVey has also endorsed Boris according to the article.

Hancock said to be considering Gove or Boris but at least half his backers have already shifted to Gove and former Hancock backer David Mundell declared for Gove tonight with Karen Bradley also considering backing the Environment Secretary
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    ST suggests half of the Hancockers are heading to Gove.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

On advertising:

"For mash get Smash!"

I sailed across the Atlantic in a smallish yacht last year and learned that Smash is still a thing. And as bad as you remember it being.
    Flavourless mush. I'm no food snob, I'll scoff a lot of crap, but I had some of that last year and it was awful.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Hilarious , the surge has 24 saying he can unite the country versus 48 who said he couldn’t !

And the Westminster poll has an alleged surge to 21 still 3 points behind the BP.

The right wing press desperation to help Bozo is vomit inducing .
    Yes, the data really does not match the headline.
  • Options
    That poll must be quite worrying for the Conservatives - given Boris seems pretty certain at this point, you'd expect a bigger jump. Maybe it'll happen but it does show the danger of people becoming entrenched (for the two main parties).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Esther McVey has also endorsed Boris according to the article
    Could only really have gone to him or Raab I suppose. Which endosrsement is better for a future job is pretty obvious, although feels like she would be a resignation risk if anything on Brexit did not go as planned.
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

Yes. The Mirror story shows a rather touching, naive faith in the continued prudishness of the British people, even though the word "fuck" is now common parlance on our TV screens, and we all watch pornhub on our phones. When we are not sexting.
    Crazy. I watch on my tablet, thank you very much.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Things we know:

Boris will be the first to betray Brexit.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

Arent we all supposed blocked from doing so thanks to may genius purity law?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

You’re missing the point . The F word isn’t the issue , it’s who it’s directed at .However the story looks impossible to corroborate so won’t have any effect anyway. I see little chance of anything derailing Bozo .

• Options
    Forsa:

Greens 27%
    Union 24%
    AfD 13%
    SPD 11%
    FDP 9%
    Left 8%
    Others 8%

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Homosexual behaviour is very different to the pigmentation of someone's skin, and it is a controversial behaviour in terms of morality and religion.

Bit of a silly comparison to make. But I can see why you would think that if you personally don't have moral/religious objections to homosexual behaviour.
    What exactly are your "moral/religious objections to homosexual behaviour"?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

From 1st July
  • Options

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

I heard it kicks in, sometime in July? Given that it is a pet T May project, and also ludicrous, contentious and counter productive, let's hope that one upside to her departure is the modification or repeal of this rubbish legislation.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

58 2019

2012 was worse
This discussion has been closed.