Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The real driver behind Johnson’s CON MP campaign has been Gavi

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed while Macmillan, Wilson and Cameron can be said to be above average, Eden and Brown were arguably the worst PMs since the War.

Cameron was the worst prime minister since Lord North
    And the absurd introduction of gay 'marriage' by a Conservative government.
    Are you a parody? How is gay marriage an affront to your working class values?
    I didn't say it had anything to do with working class values. I'm against gay 'marriage', and would have voted against as most Tory MPs did, because I believe marriage is one man + woman.
    And I believe your "beliefs" have no bearing on equality before the law.

Governments should stay out of the personal relationships of consenting adults. Neither do we live in theocracy - marriage is a civil as well as a religious matter. Small government means just that.

If you don't like gay marriage then the solution for you is clear - don't marry a gay man.
    This is a country where a Twitter post can have the Police knocking on your door - we don't live under this concept of a small government. If we lived in some Ron Paulesque libertarian state, I could see the logic in your point. But we don't. And given that we don't, I therefore wish to see the state moulded in my image.

And I have adopted that solution. I am gay myself, but have chosen to remain abstinent and not have relationships due to my moral view on the subject.
    That is your right but you do not have the right to consider yourself any better than the LBGT community who are free to enter loving relationships.
    G, This country is f****ed, excuse my French. This is just another symptom, what is this obsession with LBGT nowadays and everybody having to prove how great they are, why can people not just get on with their own lives instead of trying to get one up on some other group, make out who is the best , etc. WTF is it all about.
    I cannot answer your question because I cannot tell what you are actually aggrieved about from your comments.
    Malc. You express it perfectly, let everyone get on with their own lives and that includes LBGT. I do not give it a moments thought normally but I will defend their civil rights in our society. I am not going to go on a march though
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

Chuka Umunna has been appointed Treasury and business spokesman for the Liberal Democrats just days after the former Labour and Change UK MP joined the party.

A good platform for a future leadership bid
    Do not trust [recent] past enemies who bring you gifts.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    nunuone said:

Things we know:

Boris will be the first to betray Brexit.

Speculation and facts are very different things my dear old thing.

Predicting the future accurately is unlikely in these times.
  • Options
    Chris said:

What exactly are your "moral/religious objections to homosexual behaviour"?

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    nico67 said:

Hilarious , the surge has 24 saying he can unite the country versus 48 who said he couldn’t !

And the Westminster poll has an alleged surge to 21 still 3 points behind the BP.

The right wing press desperation to help Bozo is vomit inducing .
    The Tories now tied for second with Labour, electoral calculus on those numbers gives Labour 210, Brexit Party 159, Tories 155, SNP 56, LDs 47.

So Tories plus Brexit Party plus DUP would have a majority and that is with May still PM

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=21&LAB=21&LIB=19&Brexit=24&Green=2&ChUK=0&UKIP=2&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is the Sunday Times poll a YouGov one?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Hilarious , the surge has 24 saying he can unite the country versus 48 who said he couldn’t !

And the Westminster poll has an alleged surge to 21 still 3 points behind the BP.

Who conducted the poll
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    What exactly?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Forsa:

Greens 27%
    Union 24%
    AfD 13%
    SPD 11%
    FDP 9%
    Left 8%
    Others 8%

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

The future is Green. Even I voted Green in the Euro19.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    What exactly?
    Perhaps the two of you could get a room if you want to have this conversation?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

Forsa:

Greens 27%
    Union 24%
    AfD 13%
    SPD 11%
    FDP 9%
    Left 8%
    Others 8%

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

CDU+AfD+FDP tied with Greens+SPD+Linke on 46% each on that poll.

Greens plus Union though gets to 51%, Union plus SPD only gets to 35%
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2019
    Nothing on boris on front of mail or telegraph.

Apparently jezza wants to ramp up inheritance tax (by counting life time gifts) and oxfam in trouble again over cover up.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    nunuone said:

Things we know:

Farage could have a field day with Bozo . Not sure the Tories really have thought this through . And Farage wants to stay relevant , he doesn’t want Brexit delivered but wants the BP to be a force longer term .

You can’t out Brexit the BP. His message will be you can’t trust Bozo.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AndyJS said:

Certainly not a YouGove one .... :sunglasses:

Goodnight PBers ....
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    What exactly?
    - Religious (Clearly condemned by all major religious texts).
    - Natural (A wire crossed wrong/some genetic mutation).
    - Health (STDs and HIV make it risky behaviour)
  • Options

That poll must be quite worrying for the Conservatives - given Boris seems pretty certain at this point, you'd expect a bigger jump. Maybe it'll happen but it does show the danger of people becoming entrenched (for the two main parties).

The start of the decline in TBP and Farage
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited June 2019

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    Religious, I grant you. Anything can find itself objected to on religious grounds. Not sure what you mean by natural, homosexual behaviour is long observed in nature, and as for health, well, I find it hard to imagine homosexual intercourse is that much more hazadous than heterosexual intercourse!

Edit: Ah, I see your edits. Well, it's good to know what others think on the topic, without obfuscation, but that's about all I can say on that.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

That's probably it, then.

His last significant hurdle is the BBC debate on Tuesday. If he clears that obstacle, he is surely our next PM.
  • Options

That poll must be quite worrying for the Conservatives - given Boris seems pretty certain at this point, you'd expect a bigger jump. Maybe it'll happen but it does show the danger of people becoming entrenched (for the two main parties).

The start of the decline in TBP and Farage
    Possibly, but only permanent if the Tories deliver before 31st October.

If they break that, then the polling now will look like a golden age.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's not often that I quote Tim Montgomerie, let alone quote him because I approve of what he writes, but this article back in 2012 made a huge impression on me, to the extent of completely changing my view. Not many articles do that.

It is because I value marriage so much that I have come to believe it should be extended to gay people and not kept exclusive. Because it is so beneficial an institution it should be enlarged rather than fossilised. Whereas some people see the gay marriage issue as primarily about equal rights, I see it as about social solidarity and stability. Marriage is, for want of a better word, conservatising. I don't mean in a party political sense. I mean it is one of the key social institutions that conservatives admire. It is about drawing people together. Not just the couple but also their extended family and other friends and loved ones. It is a deeply important social act that draws others to the care of the couple and draws the couple to the care of others, not least ageing parents. As Mary Ann Sieghart has written, reflecting on her own experience, most people take a different approach to marriage than to cohabitation. The preparation for marriage, its legal structure, the involvement of others in its ceremonies and celebrations, these things add up to mean that that those within marriage generally behave differently from those who haven't entered such a commitment.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2012/02/a-conservative-case-for-gay-marriage.html

• Options
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That's probably it, then.

His last significant hurdle is the BBC debate on Tuesday. If he clears that obstacle, he is surely our next PM.
    Still currant bun and observer...although observer will probably how boris once called vegans a load of twats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    Religious, I grant you. Anything can find itself objected to on religious grounds. Not sure what you mean by natural, homosexual behaviour is long observed in nature, and as for health, well, I find it hard to imagine homosexual intercourse is that much more hazadous than heterosexual intercourse!
    Many things are observed in nature, but it does not make them right. And look the statistics for HIV transmissions - in London it is something like 1 in 7 gay men have HIV, and those are the ones we know about. If that were repeated in heterosexuals, it would be classed as an epidemic.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
    nico67 said:

I fear you are just muffling and veiling your language :lol:
  • Options
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

Certainly not a YouGove one .... :sunglasses:

Goodnight PBers ....
    YouGove if you want to?...
  • Options
    Telegraph says Corbyn wants a lifetime gifts tax to tax all gifts from parents to children - to replace inheritance tax.

Sounds like a real vote winner.
  • Options

Many things are observed in nature, but it does not make them right. And look the statistics for HIV transmissions - in London it is something like 1 in 7 gay men have HIV, and those are the ones we know about. If that were repeated in heterosexuals, it would be classed as an epidemic.

That's an argument, if anything, in favour of gay marriage. As the Book of Common Prayer (a conservative document if ever there was one!) puts it:

[Marriage] was ordained for a remedy against sin, and to avoid fornication; that such persons as have not the gift of continency might marry, and keep themselves undefiled members of Christ's body.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

London’s homicide count is sharply down this year so far. Judge for yourself the biggest racist.
    Do you have a source for that claim?
    135 homicides 2018

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8104412/london-stabbings-2019-knife-crime-statistics/

58 2019

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8273147/london-murder-rate-2019/

with 14 hot summer nights to go till mid year. Looks pretty level pegging.
    The weather different down there?
    No. It is hideous. The worst start to any summer that I can remember.
    2012 was worse
    Yes, the summer of the drowned rat Thames flotilla and lasted until the olympics.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Chris said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    What exactly?
    - Religious (Clearly condemned by all major religious texts).
    That's plain ignorance, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Telegraph says Corbyn wants a lifetime gifts tax to tax all gifts from parents to children - to replace inheritance tax.

Just the start if jezza gets in.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    nico67 said:

dr_spyn said:

First of the stop Boris stories from the Sundays?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1139996442079191040

Bozo also said it was a waste of tax payers money to investigate historical child abuse . He called it spaffing money up the wall ! I’m sure the survivors of abuse are touched by his empathy !
    Far better to spaff it up the wall on non-existent bridges and sweetheart tenancies for stadiums to the benefit of his mates.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

dr_spyn said:

First of the stop Boris stories from the Sundays?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1139996442079191040

A feeble hearsay story about Boris swearing is not going to stop his campaign.

I was having this chat with a Labour-voting friend an hour ago.

His womanising and bastard-breeding and general caddishness is priced in. Everyone knows it, and shrugs, or they don't know it and they don't care anyway. A scandal that might stop him, now, will need to be monumental.

My friend and I were speculating what such a Boris-scuttling scandal might be. A rape, perhaps. Or a secret heroin addiction. A tape recording of the most outrageous racism. That's what the anti-Borisites need now, at this late stage. Something truly shocking.
    Boris is simply a pound-shop Trump though not racist in the same mould ! He can say a few words in Latin and Greek. To Trump those are also "foreign" languages.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

London’s homicide count is sharply down this year so far. Judge for yourself the biggest racist.
    The last two sentences of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48646922
    Written in a way which makes it impossible to compare between the years. There have been 56 murders so far this year, but had been 77 homicides this time last year.

Unless we know how many non-murder homicides there have been this year, we can't draw any conclusions.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    Many things are observed in nature, but it does not make them right
    But it does not make them unnatural either as a matter of course.

Is there some percentage of displayed behaviour where you would accept something as being natural, but below that it is not right? 10% not following the 'norm' ok? 20%? 5%?

Or if there were no perceived physical harm in your eyes (say the STD issue were combated to your satisfaction) would that make it natural?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Given so many children only get on the housing ladder now with a lifetime gift from their parents for a deposit not sure that will go down too well
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Given so many children only get on the housing ladder now with a lifetime gift from their parents for a deposit not sure that will go down too well
    Mummy and daddy are going to have to sit all these cult members down and explain this...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TGOHF said:

Just the start if jezza gets in.
    Will make hard brexit seem like a golden age
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Cold sick with added dogshit will go down better.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nunuone said:

Things we know:

Farage could have a field day with Bozo . Not sure the Tories really have thought this through . And Farage wants to stay relevant , he doesn’t want Brexit delivered but wants the BP to be a force longer term .

On tonight's YouGov the only question is whether it will be Farage or Boris PM, the Brexit Party and Tories and DUP are more combined than Labour and the SNP and LDs and Plaid and Greens combined
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    TGOHF said:

I have concluded (quite seriously) that Corbyn has almost zero interest in winning an election. Then he might have to enact his policies, and see them fail, miserably. Sure, if the job fell in to his lap he'd do it, with definite curiosity, but he won't go out of his way to enable this.

Instead, he has two very different interests: 1, his own moral purity, and the consequent and agreeable virtue signalling to his followers, and 2, saying a Boris-like Fuck You to the Blairites, who he hates with a true vengeance (whereas he merely dislikes Tories)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    Many things are observed in nature, but it does not make them right
    But it does not make them unnatural either as a matter of course.

Is there some percentage of displayed behaviour where you would accept something as being natural, but below that it is not right? 10% not following the 'norm' ok? 20%? 5%?

Or if there were no perceived physical harm in your eyes (say the STD issue were combated to your satisfaction) would that make it natural?
    Not sure really, but hypotheticals aren't they.

Believe me, I have struggled with this question for 6 or 7 years reading and watching arguments on it. But in my view, there just isn't a way out of it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    It is a Yougov poll. Some signs of the major parties recovering with Brexit Party down to 24% and the LibDems in 4th place - latter is first time since EU election. Yougov also has tended to overstate Brexit Party.
  • Options
    Corbyns tax is only on cash and properties given to you by your parents over your entire life.

So school fees, cars and diamonds won’t count but pocket money will.

Says will raise £9Bn.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Corbyns tax is only on cash and properties given to you by your parents over your entire life.

Says will raise £9Bn.

If the cash is being given from me to the parent do I get a rebate?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

What does the Church have to do with it?

It was legalised civilly. It wasn't legalised for Churches, unless the Church chooses by its own choice to do it - which is surely the Churches own right?

Why repeal it? What does taking civil rights away from anyone achieve?

I don't view gay 'marriage' as a civil right.

Why not? Since this is a civil law not a religious one, the Churches make religious decisions, give me one civil reason why gay people should be denied marriage.
    Because I don't view gay 'marriage' as being equal to actual, real marriage. I don't view it as legitimate which is why I wouldn't attend one. It's as simple as that.
    Sorry "I don't view" is not a civil reason to deny equality before the law.

If I write "I don't view interracial 'marriage' as being ..." would that be a valid reason to deny people equality before the law? No.

The Churches can deny it if they want but give a civil reason to deny it in law.
    Homosexual behaviour is very different to the pigmentation of someone's skin, and it is a controversial behaviour in terms of morality and religion.

Bit of a silly comparison to make. But I can see why you would think that if you personally don't have moral/religious objections to homosexual behaviour.
    Assume this new account is a spoof?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    q
    HYUFD said:
    A Boris premiership will be a rollercoaster ride. It shows that Boris is like Brexit itself, exhilarating for the 52% and enervating for the 48%.

• Options
    justin124 said:

It is a Yougov poll. Some signs of the major parties recovering with Brexit Party down to 24% and the LibDems in 4th place - latter is first time since EU election. Yougov also has tended to overstate Brexit Party.

Thanks for answering my question.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Says will raise £9Bn.

Diamonds can last a lifetime as can some cars if well maintained
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8104412/london-stabbings-2019-knife-crime-statistics/

58 2019

May was quite hot, tonight I have the heating on
    I presume you mean the month?
  • Options
    Baxter with YouGov:

Lab 210
    Con 157
    Brexit Party 157
    LD 47
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Labour would hold Peterborough on the YouGov poll despite nationally it being a Brexit Party plus Tories plus DUP government so even with the by election result YouGov may be right
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

It was legalised civilly. It wasn't legalised for Churches, unless the Church chooses by its own choice to do it - which is surely the Churches own right?

Why not? Since this is a civil law not a religious one, the Churches make religious decisions, give me one civil reason why gay people should be denied marriage.
    Because I don't view gay 'marriage' as being equal to actual, real marriage. I don't view it as legitimate which is why I wouldn't attend one. It's as simple as that.

If I write "I don't view interracial 'marriage' as being ..." would that be a valid reason to deny people equality before the law? No.

The Churches can deny it if they want but give a civil reason to deny it in law.
    Homosexual behaviour is very different to the pigmentation of someone's skin, and it is a controversial behaviour in terms of morality and religion.

Bit of a silly comparison to make. But I can see why you would think that if you personally don't have moral/religious objections to homosexual behaviour.
    There are more people out there who think such things than you might think. Better to know which people think it than it be hidden away, I guess.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

nunuone said:

Things we know:

On tonight's YouGov the only question is whether it will be Farage or Boris PM, the Brexit Party and Tories and DUP are more combined than Labour and the SNP and LDs and Plaid and Greens combined
    The polling with four parties close together can’t tell you how the seats would end up because you’re likely to see large variations between different seats . Any GE will also have different issues thrown into the mix .

The BP will do much better in the Midlands than say London or Scotland . Say the Tories and BP do a pact If they don’t stand in certain seats to help the Tories the problem there is you won’t have Labour Leavers voting Tory. Are the Tories willing to stand aside in high Leave areas for the BP I can’t see that .

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    _Anazina_ said:

Must be.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

Boris using fruity language isn’t quite the black swan required to derail his campaign in my humble opinion.

Yes. The Mirror story shows a rather touching, naive faith in the continued prudishness of the British people, even though the word "fuck" is now common parlance on our TV screens, and we all watch pornhub on our phones. When we are not sexting.
    The issue is more who he allegedly said it about - families of victims of terorrists. It'd be odd if true (why would anyone feel that?), but would be damaging. I see the Mirror includes someone else denying it.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    _Anazina_ said:

I've always assumed yours was.
  • Options
    1 Where is this poll people are citing? Have scrolled back, and can't see it, maybe I missed it? Can someone reprint it please?
    2 The views of the Viceroy and Justin are far more common in the population than are represented on PB. I disagree with them, but they do represent a large swathe of thinking in this country. The more diversity of views on this site the better, I say.
    3 However, my religion makes no mention of homosexuality in any of its texts. Get rather cross when we are lumped in with the rest. Advocacy for LGBT rights is not a clear religious/non-religious divide.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Baxter with YouGov:

Lab 210
    Con 157
    Brexit Party 157
    LD 47

You missed a party there.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

Must be.
    It probably isn't a spoof.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    TGOHF said:

Corbyn's never met a banker he liked. Including the Bank of Mum and Dad........
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

Must be.
    Tragic if true.
  • Options
    This thread is worth some attention:

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1139998724439064576
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

I have concluded (quite seriously) that Corbyn has almost zero interest in winning an election. Then he might have to enact his policies, and see them fail, miserably. Sure, if the job fell in to his lap he'd do it, with definite curiosity, but he won't go out of his way to enable this.

Instead, he has two very different interests: 1, his own moral purity, and the consequent and agreeable virtue signalling to his followers, and 2, saying a Boris-like Fuck You to the Blairites, who he hates with a true vengeance (whereas he merely dislikes Tories)
    I don't actually think he hates anyone - certainly he's privately polite about Tony, and contrasts him favourably with e.g. Renzi, who pitched similarly to Tony in Italy but seems to Corbyn to have less substance. I know people (including some "moderates") who do hate political opponents, and I try to steer clear of them.

But a tax on lifetime donations does seem fairer (though harder to implement, surely?) than a one-off tax at the moment of death.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

_Anazina_ said:

Whereas I can never remembering reading anything from you, so have no view on ‘TudorRose’ either way!
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

135 homicides 2018

58 2019

May was quite hot, tonight I have the heating on
    I presume you mean the month?
    Yes, Philip need not worry
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

Must be.

It 100% is.
  • Options

It's not often that I quote Tim Montgomerie, let alone quote him because I approve of what he writes, but this article back in 2012 made a huge impression on me, to the extent of completely changing my view. Not many articles do that.

It is because I value marriage so much that I have come to believe it should be extended to gay people and not kept exclusive. Because it is so beneficial an institution it should be enlarged rather than fossilised. Whereas some people see the gay marriage issue as primarily about equal rights, I see it as about social solidarity and stability. Marriage is, for want of a better word, conservatising. I don't mean in a party political sense. I mean it is one of the key social institutions that conservatives admire. It is about drawing people together. Not just the couple but also their extended family and other friends and loved ones. It is a deeply important social act that draws others to the care of the couple and draws the couple to the care of others, not least ageing parents. As Mary Ann Sieghart has written, reflecting on her own experience, most people take a different approach to marriage than to cohabitation. The preparation for marriage, its legal structure, the involvement of others in its ceremonies and celebrations, these things add up to mean that that those within marriage generally behave differently from those who haven't entered such a commitment.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2012/02/a-conservative-case-for-gay-marriage.html

I too used to think that Gay marriage was unnecessary in the era of civil partnership. I was wrong, and having seen how happy getting married has made some gay friends am a supporter. It is an important part of equality.

Viceroy clearly has some issues about his own sexuality. I hope he resolves them before it is too late.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

Must be.
    Tragic if true.
    It would be more tragic if people felt they couldn't express their views because of opprobrium on here.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

nunuone said:

Things we know:

The polling with four parties close together can’t tell you how the seats would end up because you’re likely to see large variations between different seats . Any GE will also have different issues thrown into the mix .

The BP will do much better in the Midlands than say London or Scotland . Say the Tories and BP do a pact If they don’t stand in certain seats to help the Tories the problem there is you won’t have Labour Leavers voting Tory. Are the Tories willing to stand aside in high Leave areas for the BP I can’t see that .

There won't be a pact no, the figures electoral calculus gives producing a BP + Tories + DUP majority are with BP and Tory candidates in every seat, the BP for instance would gain Yvette Cooper's seat electoral calculus predicts even if most of their gains come from the Tories
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

1 Where is this poll people are citing? Have scrolled back, and can't see it, maybe I missed it? Can someone reprint it please?
    2 The views of the Viceroy and Justin are far more common in the population than are represented on PB. I disagree with them, but they do represent a large swathe of thinking in this country. The more diversity of views on this site the better, I say.
    3 However, my religion makes no mention of homosexuality in any of its texts. Get rather cross when we are lumped in with the rest. Advocacy for LGBT rights is not a clear religious/non-religious divide.

Poll is 24/21/21/19 (BXP/Lab/Con/LD).
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

nunuone said:

Things we know:

Mmm. You won't have many Tory Remainers voted for Farage's mob either.
    A TBP Tory pact is theoretically a winner. However, my home town of Wigan will vote TBP in a Euro election quite happily. I remain to be convinced it would elect TBP MPs standing on an open platform of enabling a Tory government.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

There are more people out there who think such things than you might think. Better to know which people think it than it be hidden away, I guess.
    A hard-right Powellite gay virgin, in this case.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

TudorRose said:

_Anazina_ said:

Whereas I can never remembering reading anything from you, so have no view on ‘TudorRose’ either way!
    Suits me!
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

Boris using fruity language isn’t quite the black swan required to derail his campaign in my humble opinion.

Yes. The Mirror story shows a rather touching, naive faith in the continued prudishness of the British people, even though the word "fuck" is now common parlance on our TV screens, and we all watch pornhub on our phones. When we are not sexting.
    Arent we all supposed blocked from doing so thanks to may genius purity law?
    From 1st July
    On some estimates 20 million Brits will find what they could freely access before is now blocked.

And I doubt most of them have any idea.

And the easiest legal way round it involves going along to your local corner shop or supermarket to buy a £5 token for each device. Some awkward hushed conversations may ensue methinks!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Corbyn's never met a banker he liked. Including the Bank of Mum and Dad........
    Jezza’s raid on piggy banks.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Poll is 24/21/21/19 (BXP/Lab/Con/LD).
    Cheers.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,069
    _Anazina_ said:

I'm wondering if Sean T has finally managed the trick of creating a character that isn't a facsimile of his own. If so, well done old sport.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I too used to think that Gay marriage was unnecessary in the era of civil partnership. I was wrong, and having seen how happy getting married has made some gay friends am a supporter. It is an important part of equality.

Viceroy clearly has some issues about his own sexuality. I hope he resolves them before it is too late.
    I followed the same path on gay marriage. I wasn't against it, I just didn't see why it was so very necessary, and why Cameron made such an effort, and expended so much political capital, to legalise it. Surely gay people were accepted, or at least tolerated, by 99% of people?

As homophobia rises, I now, belatedly, see why it was very important. Probably Cameron's greatest achievement.
  • Options

Another of Sean’s unworldly new PB characters? Testing them out for his new book, perhaps?
  • Options
    Viceroy_of_OrangeViceroy_of_Orange Posts: 172
    edited June 2019
    TudorRose said:

It would be more tragic if people felt they couldn't express their views because of opprobrium on here.

Indeed, different opinions make the world more fun.

• Options

_Anazina_ said:

I'm wondering if Sean T has finally managed the trick of creating a character that isn't a facsimile of his own. If so, well done old sport.
    Ah I see we have the same notion!
  • Options
    I wonder if the Greens would be able to form a government in Germany if an election is held in the near future. Would they be able to find coalition partners?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

nunuone said:

Things we know:

Mmm. You won't have many Tory Remainers voted for Farage's mob either.
    A TBP Tory pact is theoretically a winner. However, my home town of Wigan will vote TBP in a Euro election quite happily. I remain to be convinced it would elect TBP MPs standing on an open platform of enabling a Tory government.
    Farage shrewdly would not commit to back either Labour or the Tories before the election but as Kingmaker simply promise to back whichever of Corbyn or Boris will deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal, in reality that means Boris.

• Options
    TGOHF said:
    Is that a euphemism for something else - re taking or leaving lentils?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It was the social context which I had failed to understand. By that I mean that of course we all know long-term gay couples, and no-one was fussed or disapproving about it, but the relationships weren't something which formed part of the social fabric in the way that a marriage does. Civil partnerships went some way towards correcting that, but they were still essentially about the two people in isolation rather than as a couple linked into wider social ties.

On your second paragraph: you are too harsh. He's expressing views commonplace in many places, and certainly mainstream in the UK only a few years ago.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder if the Greens would be able to form a government in Germany if an election is held in the near future. Would they be able to find coalition partners?

It would have to be the Union on those numbers, SPD and Linke not enough
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    franklyn said:

I must admit to finding Rory Stewart refreshing, although I would be amazed if anyone (other than Boris) canderail Boris.

Stewart's father was a high ranking officer in SIS (MI6) and highly regarded. He was the model of Q from the James Bond films. Rory Stewart was,I understand, and almost certainly still is, a serving officer in MI6. If, Boris, as seems likely, becomes PM, and if, as usually happens with Boris, things descend into chaos, SIS will have their man ideally placed to step into pole position.

This is not the first time they have acted in this way; they were ready to oust Wilson, but never did so. But it is good to know that those whose job it is to protect us are doing their duty; indeed I find it most reassuring.

Wasn’t it MI5 that tried to overthrow Wilson? MI6’s job is overthrowing other countries’ governments.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

Chris said:

- Religious
    - Natural
    - Health
    HIV is a chronic disease nowdays - it can be managed in the way diabetes is
  • Options

Foxy said:

It was the social context which I had failed to understand. By that I mean that of course we all know long-term gay couples, and no-one was fussed or disapproving about it, but the relationships weren't something which formed part of the social fabric in the way that a marriage does. Civil partnerships went some way towards correcting that, but they were still essentially about the two people in isolation rather than as a couple linked into wider social ties.

On your second paragraph: you are too harsh. He's expressing views commonplace in many places, and certainly mainstream in the UK only a few years ago.
    I agree.

Such views are still not unusual, indeed even Mayor Pete went through such a stage of self denial before getting over it. I guess some never do,
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Byronic said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

On advertising:

"Heineken Refreshes the Parts Other Beers Cannot Reach’ was written by Terry Lovelock in 1973"

" “The Heineken thing was the nearest I ever came to suicide,” says Lovelock now "

Heineken (1973) – Refreshes the Parts Other Beers Cannot Reach

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/refreshes-the-parts-other-beers-cannot-reach/

Lovelock's is a good illustration of how difficult it is when you start with a blank piece of paper which is always the way it is. Most writers never write anything as memorable. (Though CDP was famous for it's original campaigns)
    "For mash get Smash!"
    That was a great idea more than a great line. It was written by the most famous advertising copywriter of modern times now sadly dead.
    A truly great piece of copywriting is a work of modest art. It is a meme. It is an ear worm. It lasts and lasts.

Cup hands here come Cadbury's. A hazelNUT in EVery BITE.

Lipsmackingthirstquenchingacetastingetcetc.... Pepsi.

I can remember them all, word for word, from my childhood. Kudos to great copywriters.

You'll wonder where the yellow went ....

The Esso sign means happy motoring.

Ear worms - all of them.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Dead Fred

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I agree.

Such views are still not unusual, indeed even Mayor Pete went through such a stage of self denial before getting over it. I guess some never do,
    Being in my 20s, I know I am in a very small minority on this among my demographic. Even amongst all my friends and most of my family.

It's not what they think though, it is what I think.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

Sounds like the government's forthcoming porn blocking nonsense is going to be unfuckingpopular!
This discussion has been closed.