Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab out – Stewart the big gainer

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab out – Stewart the big gainer

The result 33 votes being required to stay in Gove 41Hunt 46Javid 33Johnson 126Raab 30Stewart 37

Read the full story here

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Go Rory!!!!!!!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Raab's voters should go to Javid to take out Stewart.
    All the momentum is with Rory.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited June 2019
    Fourth like Rory (for now).
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Hoorar!
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Glad Stewart is still in. Not sure about him on Brexit but I do like the rest of what he is saying.
  • PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    5th

Like Saj

All the ramping is with Rory.

Surging all the way into 4th ...
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Boris still floundering to pick up 2/5 of MPs

Can’t see Rory getting many from Raabs supporters.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Next round needs 55 ?
    https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1141029096887128065

This lending of votes is going to make Boris campaign look frit.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Betfair updates:

Bozo 1.19
    Rory 11.5
    Jezza 20
    Gove 50ish
    The Saj 200ish
  • Well, now.

Rory the Tory has the big 'mo'.

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Bloody Gammon. Look what Brexit has enabled

"Teenage neo-Nazis who incited terror attacks on targets including Prince Harry have been jailed.

Michal Szewczuk and Oskar Dunn-Koczorowski were members of a group calling itself Sonnenkrieg Division, described as the “third generation” of banned terrorist group National Action."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/neo-nazi-trial-terror-prince-harry-michal-szewczuk-oskar-dunn-koczorowski-a8963396.html

All the ramping is with Rory.

Surging all the way into 4th ...
    I like the percentage increases
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    AndyJS said:

The Stewart bandwagon is in full flow. Boris must be furious.

Why? I know we joke he doesn't want to be challenged in any way, but he is ok at debates and speeches, and Rory could improve his standing among members massively and still be well well back. As for overall numbers, Boris still outstrips everyone else easily, and has that hold on the members.
    Well done Rory. Raab surprises me a little, on the upside, given most of the hardliners have plumped for Boris. Maybe a few at least upset at Boris obviously playing both sides? But these MPs never seem to notice that in the moment.
    Question now: does the Saj do a Hancock now? He appears to have no route forward, and is probably out tomorrow ..... might be able to extract something out of Bozo before that.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Stewart clearly now in with a chance of getting to the number 2. only 4 off gove...
    Someone today told me they thought Rory came second in the first round and was very surprised when I said he did not. His profile raising has been effective on that front.
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Why? I know we joke he doesn't want to be challenged in any way, but he is ok at debates and speeches, and Rory could improve his standing among members massively and still be well well back. As for overall numbers, Boris still outstrips everyone else easily, and has that hold on the members.
    Interesting dynamic tonight - Hunt and Gove will have to target Rory rather than Boris.

He doesn't want a coronation may be more the thinking.
    No rejected ballots. I'd almost like one MP to just say screw it and write in Thatcher or something.
    edited June 2019
    The Saj spokesman: "We fight on, to victory!" [mildly paraphrased]
    Will the 20 or so undeclared Rory backers start admitting they have a case of Rorymania?
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Should've put money on Raab going out. Ah well.
  • RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Ideal result now for the party is Boris v Stewart in the members vote.

Boris brings back the Brexit Party vote, whilst Stewart shows there are normal tories around who care about more than Brexit.

Win-win.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

It is not easy debating something where you have given your supporters diametrically opposite promises. It is not so much giving a speech he fears, it is the public scrutiny of the obvious lies that his backers are willing to ignore for now, but at some point at least one of the groups will feel betrayed over.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    The change from the first round is:

Boris +12
    Hunt +3
    Gove +4
    Stewart +18
    Javid +10
    Raab +3

Hancock -20
    Leadsom -11
    Harper -10
    McVey -9

I expect Rory picked up most of Hancock's with the others being more equally split.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2019
    Loan votes. If Boris (+12 since R1) did lend votes to other candidates then it was not to Jeremy Hunt (+3) as we'd been told. The two biggest gainers (aside from Boris himself) were Rory and Saj. Is Boris boosting one of that pair or was the whole tale a crock?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

Time for #OperationStopRory to begin... :D

Boris brings back the Brexit Party vote, whilst Stewart shows there are normal tories around who care about more than Brexit.

Win-win.

I half speculated that as the hope particularly for SCON, to hopefully retain at least some of the non no-deal Tories and limit the damage. A bit convoluted as theories go though.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Shame ladbrokes didn't leave that 10/1 boris sub 130 votes up longer.

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

It is not easy debating something where you have given your supporters diametrically opposite promises. It is not so much giving a speech he fears, it is the public scrutiny of the obvious lies that his backers are willing to ignore for now, but at some point at least one of the groups will feel betrayed over.
    They have more than enough evidence to fear betrayal already. People seem to either be ignoring those concerns, or feel only he can save their vote share anyway, so it is a risk they have to take.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I think Gove is in trouble. The Saj will pick up a lot of Raab transfers and squeak through again. I could see Gove lose backers to Stewart as well now.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting dynamic tonight - Hunt and Gove will have to target Rory rather than Boris.
    A good move for Gove would be drop out and support Hunt or even Rory. Assuming he prefers a 20% chance of stopping Boris over a 2% chance of being next PM.
    edited June 2019
    Wow has anyone seen the footage of Angela Merkel shaking in Berlin today?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1140983038555410432
    kle4 said:

Win-win.

I half speculated that as the hope particularly for SCON, to hopefully retain at least some of the non no-deal Tories and limit the damage. A bit convoluted as theories go though.
    Though it would be interesting how close the percentages would be in the members vote?

I suspect that Rory would get a lower share than Owen Who?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Boris has 40% of the MPs + will probably pick a few up from Raab supporters => Boris is in final two => Boris is next PM.
    Possible. I have laid off a bit of my Rory at 11. Still leaves me plenty of red.

What a ride he has had. And not over yet.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Loan votes. If Boris (+12 since R1) did lend votes to other candidates then it was not to Jeremy Hunt (+3) as we'd been told. The two biggest gainers (aside from Boris himself) were Rory and Saj. Is Boris boosting one of that pair or was the whole tale a crock?

Hancock votes to Rory and Harper votes to the Saj seems possible.

But there might be a bit of individual churn from MPs changing their mind after what they've seen.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Rory nailed on now

Rory v Corbyn #GE2019
    Andrew said:

Question now: does the Saj do a Hancock now? He appears to have no route forward, and is probably out tomorrow ..... might be able to extract something out of Bozo before that.

Is there a vote tomorrow?

kle4 said:

Win-win.

Though it would be interesting how close the percentages would be in the members vote?

I suspect that Rory would get a lower share than Owen Who?
    I'm sure that's true. 38% would be a surprisingly large result for him. But it would be fine to see how the members responded to his message in person.
    Ave_it said:

Rory nailed on now

Rory v Corbyn #GE2019

The 3rd and 4th place play off nailed on
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    MaxPB said:
    Stewart will pick up 0 Raab votes, Gove as the last non Boris Leaver left may pick up some Raab votes.

Gove gained more MPs than Hunt did today too
    edited June 2019
    MaxPB said:

I think Gove is in trouble. The Saj will pick up a lot of Raab transfers and squeak through again. I could see Gove lose backers to Stewart as well now.

I'm sure Gove will come up with some duplicitous scheme to get past Rory. :D
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

Boris has 40% of the MPs + will probably pick a few up from Raab supporters => Boris is in final two => Boris is next PM.

Provided he has a third plus one, he's in the last two!
    Ave_it said:

Rory nailed on now

Rory v Corbyn #GE2019

Has AVEIT4ESTHER become AVETIT4RORY ? :D
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Naturally they'd almost all support Boris from now on, with maybe a couple for Gove.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

"I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as of being decapitated by a frisbee or of finding Elvis."
    - Boris, 2003.
    Presumably Boris made sure Javid got into the debate to reduce the amount of time he will have to talk for tonight.
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:
    Stewart will pick up 0 Raab votes, Gove as the last non Boris Leaver left may pick up some Raab votes.

Yes, is Hunt in trouble (of getting second that is)? He's the physical embodiment of the concept of 'meh' as far as I can see, no enthusiasm behind him at all. I like an appeal to dull competence, but even if he has that it is not waht they want.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Now that Raab is safely out of the way, it's OK to tell Steve Baker, Mark Francois etc what Boris is telling everyone else.
  • Beeb just interviewed some Tories in Sale Con Club.

Old Woman number one: 'I'm surprised Michael Gove's still in in, to be honest'

Popular as ever.
    edited June 2019
    I know the main news is Rory, but Gove actually did pretty well increasing his vote and slightly closing the gap with Hunt. He could have done much worse and even have been knocked out.

Now that Raab is safely out of the way, it's OK to tell Steve Baker, Mark Francois etc what Boris is telling everyone else.

Defect to TBP, VoNC the government before the Tories have a new leader? That's what I'd do (but then I wouldn't be so stupid as to belong to the Tory Party).

They will be giving Graham Brady their letters of no confidence before he's even announced the winner.
    Speculation on people pulling out - but if anyone goes to debate why would that person then pull out before the next vote?
    GIN1138 said:

Ave_it said:

Rory nailed on now

Rory v Corbyn #GE2019

Has AVEIT4ESTHER become AVETIT4RORY ? :D
    Yes missing Esther! :lol:

• MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2019

"I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as of being decapitated by a frisbee or of finding Elvis."
    - Boris, 2003.

"No woman in my time will be prime minister or chancellor or foreign secretary - not the top jobs. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be prime minister; you have to give yourself 100 percent."
    - Margaret Thatcher

• MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    I think Boris did tacticals for Hunt but they were disguised as Hunt lost votes to Stewart.

If that's right then it may not be possible for Boris to get Hunt in the Final.

I guess the question for Boris then becomes should he switch tacticals to Gove? With a fair number of Raab likely to go to Gove anyway then Gove could well move into 2nd place in the next ballot.

But my suspicion now is that Stewart will make the Final unless Boris goes for massive tactical voting - but that would require his vote count to fall - which he surely won't risk.
    edited June 2019
    The next vote is tomorrow, not Thursday as I'd assumed.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    This selectorate are so far adrift from the population as a whole that if this is how you choose a Prime Minister in the UK then lets get the Marxist Corbyn in to shake things up as soon as possible
    isam said:

Blimey. Paging Dr Foxy!

It is well known that the former Foreign Secretary Dr David Owen, previously a neurologist, would provide MI6 with health assessments of foreign leaders he met.
    Sir Hugo Swire first Raab backer to back Boris on Sky News
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Round 2 Thoughts :

Boris - 126 - Lower than expected. Expectation management poor
    Hunt - 46 - Poor result. In for a desperate fight for second
    Gove - 41 - As Hunt
    Rory - 37 - Has the big mo for second place.
    Javid - 33 - Phew. Last of the rest but put on 10 votes
    Rabb - 30 - BREXITED
    AndyJS said:

I know the main news is Rory, but Gove actually did pretty well increasing his vote and slightly closing the gap with Hunt. He could have done much worse and even have been knocked out.

Yes this was a good result for Boris and Gove, a great result for Stewart, a bad result for Hunt and Raab and a so so result for Javid
    AndyJS said:

The next vote is tomorrow, not Thursday as I'd assumed.

Next vote tomorrow and will be multiple votes on Thursday if needed.

By this time Thursday we'll have the final two.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760
    MikeL said:

But my suspicion now is that Stewart will make the Final unless Boris goes for massive tactical voting - but that would require his vote count to fall - which he surely won't risk.

He would be mad to risk it.

So we should consider it a distinct possibility.
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Yes this was a good result for Boris and Gove, a great result for Stewart, a bad result for Hunt and Raab and a so so result for Javid
    I wonder whether Hunt might consider his position in the race. Unlikely since he's still in second place.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Debate thought.

Hunt, Gove and Javid will look to very strongly attack Rory. He is the main threat to their final two aspiration.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, is Hunt in trouble (of getting second that is)? He's the physical embodiment of the concept of 'meh' as far as I can see, no enthusiasm behind him at all. I like an appeal to dull competence, but even if he has that it is not waht they want.
    Hunt now looks Portillo 2001 to me
    Andrew said:

The Saj spokesman: "We fight on, to victory!" [mildly paraphrased]

Oh dear. "We fight on" is the one phrase not to use in this context.
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder whether Hunt might consider his position in the race. Unlikely since he's still in second place.
    Only if he comes 3rd tomorrow
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I know The Saj only just squeaked in, but he rose more than Gove and Hunt, and is surely in a better position for even a few Raab transfers than Stewart, it seems a reasonable result.
    JackW said:

Round 2 Thoughts :

Gove - 41 - As Hunt
    Rabb - 30 - BREXITED

In other words, RORY to win!

#rory2019

• GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Sarah Vine will think of something, she's got those curtains in the cupboard that she wants to hang in no 10
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    kle4 said:

He doesn't want a coronation may be more the thinking.
    I would say only Howard's was a coronation, as he was the only candidate. It's easy to forget that May won the first the round in 2016 with an overall majority (just - due to Dave abstaining).
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Johnson organised massive tactical voting and came third?
    edited June 2019
    I wonder whether Rory Stewart is having 10 phone lines installed at his headquarters.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    We ought to go back to the CON leadership rules that were in place in 1963 when I placed my first ever political bet. There was no member voting and there was no formal voting o MPs. A new leader just "emerged" Alec Douglas-Home who became PM

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Sarah Vine will think of something, she's got those curtains in the cupboard that she wants to hang in no 10
    Curtains for Gove?

We can but hope.
    JackW said:

Round 2 Thoughts :

Gove - 41 - As Hunt
    Rabb - 30 - BREXITED

Rory wont get the votes from Vacuous ToryBoy as he did from Trendy Vicar.
    MikeL said:

I think Boris did tacticals for Hunt but they were disguised as Hunt lost votes to Stewart.

If that's right then it may not be possible for Boris to get Hunt in the Final.

I guess the question for Boris then becomes should he switch tacticals to Gove? With a fair number of Raab likely to go to Gove anyway then Gove could well move into 2nd place in the next ballot.

There is no real evidence of any loan votes. There were 50 votes up for grabs from the candidates eliminated in round 1, and the simplest explanation is that those 50 went mainly to Saj (+10), Rory (+18) and Boris (+12). That's 40, and the other three shared 10 extra votes. No need to posit churns, defections and loans.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

We ought to go back to the CON leadership rules that were in place in 1963 when I placed my first ever political bet. There was no member voting and there was no formal voting o MPs. A new leader just "emerged" Alec Douglas-Home who became PM

Did you bet on him?
    Ave_it said:

JackW said:

Round 2 Thoughts :

Gove - 41 - As Hunt
    Rabb - 30 - BREXITED

In other words, RORY to win!

#rory2019

Are you backing Rory?

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

The question is why did Boris not go up more?

Maybe he DID do some tacticals and some people switched from Hunt to Stewart.

I think that's what happened.

Which means Hunt's position is even weaker than it looks.
    If that's right then may not be possible to get Hunt in the Final.

When the facts change its time to change your opinion.

The best move for team Boris now might simply be to welcome any challenger, including Stewart.

It's not like Rory's plan to achieve Brexit is any more credible than Boris's.
    It's technically more credible in the sense that we know the EU would accept what he is proposing, it's just equally not very credible on how to get parliament to agree something the EU will also agree.
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Johnson organised massive tactical voting and came third?
    It would be a foretaste of his performance as PM, and fortunately, stop us ever finding that out for certain.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,031

Under those older rules it'd probably have been Hunt.

A new leader was blatantly railroaded into power out of personal animus from Macmillan towards R A Butler - Alec Douglas-Home who became PM.

FTFY...

Did you bet on him?
    No. I went for Christopher Soames. At the time I was only 17 and walked into the bookies in my school blazer
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    ERG need to split Raab's 30 votes as follows:

Javid 17, Gove 9, Hunt 4

That would get Javid, Gove and Hunt all to 50.

Would then be very tough for Stewart - he would need a lot of switchers to survive.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I know The Saj only just squeaked in, but he rose more than Gove and Hunt, and is surely in a better position for even a few Raab transfers than Stewart, it seems a reasonable result.
    Yes I think either Javid or Rory go out tomorrow or both.

Most Raab votes will go to Boris with a few to Gove so if Javid can pick up a few from Raab nd makes some hard Brexity noises tonight he could knock out Rory as no Raab voters likely go to Stewart unless Hunt or Gove start leaking backers to Rory
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,031
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Hunt now looks Portillo 2001 to me
    Yep.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    isam said:

Well done Mrs M! Can't imagine our soon to be PM acting with such stoicism.
This discussion has been closed.